PDA

View Full Version : [Signing] Oilers sign Klefbom to 7 year extension ($4.167 mil AAV)

Pages : [1] 2

sureLoss
09-19-2015, 01:20 PM
Ryan Rishaug @TSNRyanRishaug
Oilers and Klefbom have agreed to terms on a 7 year Contract extension. Deal to be finalized in the next 24 to 48 hours.

update:

Craig Custance @CraigCustance
AAV on Oscar Klefbom deal will be $4.167 million. @TSNRyanRishaug first reported 7-year deal.

jg13
09-19-2015, 01:22 PM
That's a big commitment for someone who has only played 77 NHL games.

Bandwagon In Flames
09-19-2015, 01:22 PM
And SureLoss beats HF boards, what else is new.

I can't wait to see the dollars on this middling d-man.

devo22
09-19-2015, 01:23 PM
so one full NHL season can get you a 7 year deal in Edmonton. Can't even say I'm surprised.

Makarov
I like Klefbom but that's a big commitment for a player who hasn't even really solidified himself as an NHL defenceman (let alone a top 4 defenceman.) Will be curious to see the dollar figures.

White Out 403
considering all this NHL accomplishments this is really a no brainer

TBone290
09-19-2015, 01:24 PM
hahahaha

No trade clause please

btimbit
09-19-2015, 01:25 PM
If it's cheap then could end up being a steal.

hockey.modern
09-19-2015, 01:25 PM
I'm guessing around 4.5m

DownhillGoat
09-19-2015, 01:26 PM
Don't know why anybody thought the "new management" was going to change anything. Unless it's for 7 years at 1m per, what a huge gamble.

Iniggywetrust
09-19-2015, 01:26 PM
This is the Oilers version of a bridge contract. "Show us what you can do and we'll give you 8 more years"

GranteedEV
09-19-2015, 01:27 PM
Guessing the AAV is around Adam Larsson level.

Which FWIW, could be okay.

Ashasx
09-19-2015, 01:28 PM
Deals like this deserve to blow up in their faces.

So irresponsible.

sureLoss
09-19-2015, 01:29 PM
Ryan Rishaug @TSNRyanRishaug
AAV will be just north of 4 million. Details to come.

getbak
09-19-2015, 01:29 PM
If 6x6 was the old standard, this has to be a 7x7.

devo22
09-19-2015, 01:30 PM
I'm guessing around 4.5m
well that'd be a horrible deal. Klingberg got 7 x 4.25m last season and he has been way better than Klefbom IMO. Hamonic got 7 x 3.87m the year before that. No way Klefbom should earn as much as those two.

Jables16
09-19-2015, 01:31 PM
Seriously? Depending of the dollars it could work out to be a steal but how many young defensemen have looked all-world in their rookie year (which I can't even say Klefbom did in his 77 games) and gone on to struggle? The Stars did sign John Klingberg to a similar term after fewer games so it's not unheard of but at least he has shown he can bring high level offense.

Maybe I just don't watch the Oil close enough but this just seems like more craziness and blind hope for their "special" young players that was supposedly left behind with the previous regime.

jg13
beaten obvs

N-E-B
There are no words.

GranteedEV
Hate to admit it, but Oilers got themselves a fair deal. Klefbom's agent must be dumb to take that much term during prime earning years.

Moneyhands23
09-19-2015, 01:32 PM
Lol. this is interesting

Ashasx
Hate to admit it, but Oilers got themselves a fair deal. Klefbom's agent must be dumb to take that much term during prime earning years.

Or they are trying to cash in quickly.

Bandwagon In Flames
Klefbom must not see himself as much more than a #4 d-man.

Might end up alright for the Oilers if he reaches his potential.

SuperMatt18
09-19-2015, 01:33 PM
Could be great but could also blow up in there face.

IMO bad precedent for them to give somebody that after only 77 games though.

What will Nurse and McDavid want?

getbak
09-19-2015, 01:34 PM
Seven year deals should be reserved for the absolute creme-de-la-creme top-pairing players. Is that what Klefbom is?

herashak
09-19-2015, 01:35 PM
Klefbom is the sweetheart of oilers fans on the D side along with nurse. Although marincin was hyped up just like klefbom is now and look what happened there.

devo22
09-19-2015, 01:35 PM
If the numbers are correct, Klefboms AAV will just be around 500k below T.J. Brodies. Let that sink in for a moment.

btimbit
09-19-2015, 01:36 PM
If it's cheap then could end up being a steal.

Was thinking more like 4 or less for it to be a steal.... 4.5 could still end up being a steal but I'd be a little uncomfortable as an Oilers fan. That's money that proven players gets, and while I'm high on Klefbom, I'm not sure about this deal.

Could work out but.... yeesh.

Vinny01
09-19-2015, 01:37 PM
Not even a season in the NHL and he gets 7 years $30M?

Jables16
09-19-2015, 01:37 PM
Could be great but could also blow up in there face.

IMO bad precedent for them to give somebody that after only 77 games though.

What will Nurse and McDavid want?

Exactly. They're just further blowing up their internal salary structure. If Nurse is playing better than Klefbom after the same amount of time why shouldn't he ask for 8 years 5.5 million or higher? McDavid could get 8 years and however much he wants. In a cap world you have to try a maximize value on younger players on their earlier contracts to keep a strong team together. Obviously Chiarelli still doesn't get that, look at the state he left the Bruins in.

btimbit
09-19-2015, 01:41 PM
If the numbers are correct, Klefboms AAV will just be around 500k below T.J. Brodies. Let that sink in for a moment.

Roman Josi in that range too.

sureLoss
09-19-2015, 01:52 PM
Craig Custance @CraigCustance
AAV on Oscar Klefbom deal will be $4.167 million. @TSNRyanRishaug first reported 7-year deal.

H2SO4(aq)
09-19-2015, 01:57 PM
I find that outrageous... Glad they have that cup champ gm signings sane deals right?

GranteedEV
09-19-2015, 02:03 PM
Or they are trying to cash in quickly.

Klefbom's been good at the SHL level too. He's a good defenseman. Maybe not a top pairing guy like Oil fans want but certainly a second pairing guy.

Exactly. They're just further blowing up their internal salary structure.

Their internal salary structure is pretty normal:

#1D - Nurse? @ 6M?
#2D - Sekera @ 5.5
#3D - Klefbom @ 4
#1C - McDavid @ 9.5M?
#2C - RNH - 6M
#1W - Hall - 6M
#2W - Eberle - 6M

That's where you want the money to go. Projecting our own team forward

#1D - Gio @ 6.75
#2D - Brodie @ 4.5
#3D - Hamilton @ 5.75
#1C - Bennett - 6.5M?
#2C - Monahan - 6.5M?
#1W - Gaudreau - 6.5M?
#2W - ???? - 5.5M?
-----------------------
42M

We shouldn't be too optimistic we can get our forwards for much cheaper, factoring in inflation

Jiggy_12
09-19-2015, 02:06 PM
Lol

YoungGuns
09-19-2015, 02:07 PM
Great move by PC. He will never be worse than a #4 (His contract is in that range) and he is locked up 7 more years after next year. Him progressing is all gravy.

btimbit
09-19-2015, 02:11 PM
Good post GranteedEV. Once Nikitin is gone it won't look so bad, cap wise

Fire of the Phoenix
09-19-2015, 02:12 PM
But everything's different now because Chiarelli is in charge and MacT and Lowe totes have no influence! I don't get it...

Illuminaughty
09-19-2015, 02:21 PM
Great move by PC. He will never be worse than a #4 (His contract is in that range) and he is locked up 7 more years after next year. Him progressing is all gravy.

He didn't look like a #4 Dman last year. Not sure what he has shown at the NHL level to earn that kind of salary commitment for 7 years.

It could look good in a couple years if he continues to progress, but paying for potential is what got the oilers into this mess in the first place.

CorsiHockeyLeague
09-19-2015, 02:24 PM
Klefbom is the sweetheart of oilers fans on the D side along with nurse. Although marincin was hyped up just like klefbom is now and look what happened there.

This is exactly what my first thought was... not long ago you'd have mentioned those two guys in the same breath. Now one is getting top 4 money for 7 years and the other is given away for basically nothing to Toronto.

YoungGuns
09-19-2015, 02:27 PM
There is still some risk involved, but it is a good one to take with this player because of the money he took.

Fire of the Phoenix
09-19-2015, 02:27 PM
Never say never. Many a young player has come into this league with huge success initially only to fade away. Klefbom hasn't even been a huge success, more just "okay".

DownhillGoat
09-19-2015, 02:31 PM
He will never be worse than a #4
Don't suppose you have tonights lotto numbers too, do you?

Enoch Root
09-19-2015, 02:36 PM
Klefbom has not solidified himself as a top 4 yet - not even close.

He is still in the make-the-team-full-time mode. He has not shown that he is a top 4 defenseman yet - not saying he won't (probably will), just that he hasn't yet.

You don't give young defensemen that have yet to become full time players that kind of money, or that kind of term.

The appropriate deal for him would be 2 years at $1.5 - 2M

This is a joke of a contract and shows that nothing has changed in Oil country - the team is built on hope and potential, not results.

polak
09-19-2015, 02:37 PM
Haha an here we thought the new management might fix things. One season is enough to warrant 7 years? LOL.

Oilers gonna Oil.

codynw
09-19-2015, 02:40 PM
This is ridiculous to me. He hasn't even played a full season yet. His cap hit is comparable to Brodie, Josi, Hjalmarsson and Hedman.

Cali Panthers Fan
09-19-2015, 02:45 PM
I hate to admit it, but Klefbom will likely be around for a while, so the 7 years isn't really too much of a risk. However, if they ever decided to try and trade Klefbom, a contract of that length could be problematic. But let's get real, there are so few quality young defensemen for Edmonton that there's little doubt Klefbom will stay the entire length of this deal.

The dollar amounts are pretty good. Klefbom will likely be a #2/#3 and Nurse will likely be their #1 d-man in another year or so. Throw in Sekera as another guy who can play anywhere from #2-#4 and you have the makings of an adequate top 4. IF Reinhart can figure out his game at the NHL level, then you easily have a decent defense to work with. The problem is they still have Schultz and his 3.5ish million contract and set to be an RFA yet again (likely to want a raise); Mark Fayne at 3.6 for another 3 years (lol); and Andrew Ference on the books for another 2 years at 3.25 million. If you were to ask fans in Edmonton, they think Ference will have a tough time being the 7th d-man this year as his skills are rapidly declining, so he might end up being bought out. Nikitin will be off the books after this year, and I doubt they offer him another contract.

So if you're Chiarelli you are likely thinking of buying out or burying Ference this off-season, having both Nurse and Reinhart to start the year next year in some capacity, and if it doesn't work out you find a better free agent with some money next year.

Here's the defense possibly to start next year:
Klefbom (4.16)/Nurse (ELC)
Sekera (5.5)-Reinhart (ELC)
Fayne (3.6)-Schultz (3.6???)

It's not a world beating group, but it's a heck of a lot better than what they've been working with before, and they have quite a bit of money to put towards an upgrade if they wish to.

We always laugh because it's Edmonton, but I'm prepared to expect Chiarelli to make moves that are at least OK, and this is definitely one of them.

sharkov
09-19-2015, 02:48 PM
Could end up being a very good deal in the long run but thats a lot of money to sink into pure potential.

devo22
09-19-2015, 02:53 PM
yeah but this is dependent on all of Klefbom, Nurse and Reinhart having an impact right away. So far, Klefbom has done nothing to suggest he's a 1st pairing defenseman at the NHL level, same with Nurse. Reinhart didn't look NHL-ready last season and was, by all means, a disappointment for the Isles. Trusting him to be a 2nd pairing guy right away would be a tad optimistic as well if you ask me.

The Oilers are basically putting all their chips on three young defensemen to carry them to promised land. It COULD work, but with defensemen, there are usually some bumps in the road.

burnitdown
09-19-2015, 02:54 PM
I hate to admit it, but Klefbom will likely be around for a while, so the 7 years isn't really too much of a risk. However, if they ever decided to try and trade Klefbom, a contract of that length could be problematic. But let's get real, there are so few quality young defensemen for Edmonton that there's little doubt Klefbom will stay the entire length of this deal.

The dollar amounts are pretty good. Klefbom will likely be a #2/#3 and Nurse will likely be their #1 d-man in another year or so. Throw in Sekera as another guy who can play anywhere from #2-#4 and you have the makings of an adequate top 4. IF Reinhart can figure out his game at the NHL level, then you easily have a decent defense to work with. The problem is they still have Schultz and his 3.5ish million contract and set to be an RFA yet again (likely to want a raise); Mark Fayne at 3.6 for another 3 years (lol); and Andrew Ference on the books for another 2 years at 3.25 million. If you were to ask fans in Edmonton, they think Ference will have a tough time being the 7th d-man this year as his skills are rapidly declining, so he might end up being bought out. Nikitin will be off the books after this year, and I doubt they offer him another contract.

So if you're Chiarelli you are likely thinking of buying out or burying Ference this off-season, having both Nurse and Reinhart to start the year next year in some capacity, and if it doesn't work out you find a better free agent with some money next year.

It's not a world beating group, but it's a heck of a lot better than what they've been working with before, and they have quite a bit of money to put towards an upgrade if they wish to.

We always laugh because it's Edmonton, but I'm prepared to expect Chiarelli to make moves that are at least OK, and this is definitely one of them.

Yeah, fair points. It's the large contracts given out to aging veterans in free agency that come back to haunt you (ex: Fayne, Ference, Nikitin). If given the choice either Klefbom or Sekera for the next long while, I'd rather take Klefbom. I'm hoping they break the bank on a long-term deal for Schultz as that will be the type of contract that haunts them!

mikephoen
09-19-2015, 02:57 PM

Klefbom is a number 2 Defenseman? There is exactly one team in the NHL on which that could be true. Fortunately for him, he's on it!

Brutal contract for the oilers. Awesome for the rest of us!

Hockey_Ninja
09-19-2015, 02:59 PM
How did he play last season?

Cali Panthers Fan
09-19-2015, 02:59 PM
yeah but this is dependent on all of Klefbom, Nurse and Reinhart having an impact right away. So far, Klefbom has done nothing to suggest he's a 1st pairing defenseman at the NHL level, same with Nurse. Reinhart didn't look NHL-ready last season and was, by all means, a disappointment for the Isles. Trusting him to be a 2nd pairing guy right away would be a tad optimistic as well if you ask me.

The Oilers are basically putting all their chips on three young defensemen to carry them to promised land. It COULD work, but with defensemen, there are usually some bumps in the road.

Not entirely true. They have a high quality veteran in Sekera, and were right in the mix on Dougie Hamilton as someone to build around. Don't be shocked if Chiarelli moves some pieces at some point to get another established NHL defenseman to play in the top 4. I don't see Schultz sticking around unless he makes massive improvements, so he could be a trade piece with some other prospects thrown in.

Mike F
09-19-2015, 03:00 PM
This is nothing short of a big bet by Chiarelli - He put a $30M marker on a guy with just shy of one total season in the NHL hoping he turns into a legitimate, long term, top 4 defenseman. Is Klefbom's ceiling so high that you needed to get him locked in at a reasonable number before his play priced him out of their cap structure?

To me, this ties into the Ho-Sang thread - in both cases, you have something that, in isolation could be seen as not a huge deal (oversleeping and giving a long term deal to a young player), but given each guy's track record (Ho-Sang with authority/rules issues, and Chiarelli with cap management issues) you have to wonder if it's a sign of a fundamental flaw rearing its head again.

Illuminaughty
09-19-2015, 03:00 PM
The thing is when you have a lack of NHL experience and that many question marks on how players are going to play at the NHL level, it rarely goes right for every player. To expect all three of those young players to all fill out the top four is optimistic, and likely not realistic.

Cali Panthers Fan
09-19-2015, 03:01 PM
How did he play last season?

From what I remember he was easily the Oilers most dependable defenseman. Considering it was his first full season, it made most in Oilers land feel like he was likely to be a top pairing guy going forward.

He passed the eye-test when I watched him, but he still has a lot of little things to work on and he can still be much better.

Cali Panthers Fan
09-19-2015, 03:03 PM
The thing is when you have a lack of NHL experience and that many question marks on how players are going to play at the NHL level, it rarely goes right for every player. To expect all three of those young players to all fill out the top four is optimistic, and likely not realistic.

I think Nurse is all but a lock to be a top 4 defenseman. He's a blue chipper. Klefbom is pretty much already there. The only question mark is Reinhart.

Street Pharmacist
09-19-2015, 03:04 PM
He was incredible at the Young Stars

Enoch Root
09-19-2015, 03:04 PM
From what I remember he was easily the Oilers most dependable defenseman. Considering it was his first full season, it made most in Oilers land feel like he was likely to be a top pairing guy going forward.

He passed the eye-test when I watched him, but he still has a lot of little things to work on and he can still be much better.

The bar was low in Edmonton last year, but nonetheless, he struggled in his own end A LOT.

He simply isn't a top 4 defenseman yet

Not saying he won't be, but he sure as hell hasn't been to this point.

Enoch Root
09-19-2015, 03:05 PM
He was incredible at the Young Stars

isn't 77 games too many for that tourney?

Street Pharmacist
09-19-2015, 03:06 PM
isn't 77 games too many for that tourney?
Sorry, referring to Cali's comment on Nurse

Enoch Root
so $30M for a guy with 3 NHL goals...

$10M per goal - just to put things into perspective

Vinny01
this contract shows how great the Brodie, Hamilton and Giordano deals are

GranteedEV
The bar was low in Edmonton last year, but nonetheless, he struggled in his own end A LOT.

He struggled in his own end, or Justin Schultz dragged him down? Legitimate question, because there were many things I'd rather do than watch the Oilers unless they're playing us and he didn't look bad to me against us.

Enoch Root
09-19-2015, 03:09 PM
He struggled in his own end, or Justin Schultz dragged him down? Legitimate question, because there were many things I'd rather do than watch the Oilers unless they're playing us and he didn't look bad to me against us.

I watch the Oilers quite a bit. He is still learning how to play in his own zone in the NHL. Whether it's with Schultz or anyone else.

He is not an NHL top 4 defenseman (yet)

Illuminaughty
09-19-2015, 03:09 PM
I think Nurse is all but a lock to be a top 4 defenseman. He's a blue chipper. Klefbom is pretty much already there. The only question mark is Reinhart.

I agree on Nurse, he's a top pairing guy as early as next year. Klefbom is only a top 4 on the oilers by default. On how many NHL rosters is this guy even in the top 6?

We'll see on Reinhart, but he got beat out by two other D prospects in the Islanders system last year, not exactly a good sign going forward.

Enoch Root
09-19-2015, 03:12 PM
So you wrote this:
Klefbom's been good at the SHL level too. He's a good defenseman. Maybe not a top pairing guy like Oil fans want but certainly a second pairing guy.

based on this?:

shermanator
09-19-2015, 03:15 PM
David Staples ‏@dstaples 47m47 minutes ago
Have to say this Oscar Klefbom deal was a bold move by new GM Chiarelli. And I like it.

That's one way to spin it. I choose to spin it as the following:

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-ygwtV7izRZU/VDiXkuH06FI/AAAAAAAAXU0/5AOEJe-dZwc/s500/oie_6ITPjf5I0ALN.gif

GranteedEV
09-19-2015, 03:20 PM
based on this?:

Not sure why I can't say he's a middle pairing guy based on just watching Calgary vs Edmonton games? He looks steady to me when I watch them. Maybe you watch them more to me, but that doesn't mean I'm not allowed to have my opinion.

calumniate
09-19-2015, 03:22 PM
Haha, bold! He's taunted as being a big guy at six three, but he had four total penalty minutes and was a minus 21 in 60 games. I'd call that pretty soft if you ask me

Robo
09-19-2015, 03:22 PM
was this the guy byron out muscled in the corner to set ip the gwg even though he is like a foot shorter

neo45
09-19-2015, 03:24 PM
It's like a riskier version of the awful Jake Gardiner contract that removes all incentive for the player to actually reach their ceiling.

devo22
09-19-2015, 03:24 PM
was this the guy byron out muscled in the corner to set ip the gwg even though he is like a foot shorter
no that was Marincin.

Robo
09-19-2015, 03:26 PM
no that was Marincin.

aw darn

Walter Reed
09-19-2015, 03:35 PM
It's like a riskier version of the awful Jake Gardiner contract that removes all incentive for the player to actually reach their ceiling.

Hmmm ... Not saying either way whether he will live up to that contract but I would definitely prefer Klefbom to Gardiner.

Enoch Root
09-19-2015, 03:49 PM
Hmmm ... Not saying either way whether he will live up to that contract but I would definitely prefer Klefbom to Gardiner.

Actually, Gardiner is a perfect comparison to show how risky (read: stupid) this contract is. Comparing Klefbom today with Gardiner at the same age (22):

Gardiner: drafted #17 overall, 75 games, 7G, 23A, 30P, 18Pims

Klefbom: drafted #19 overall, 77 games, 3G, 20A, 23P, 4Pims

Three years ago, Gardiner was a highly desired young prospect who was considered a shoe-in to be a long-time top 4 defenseman.

calgaryblood
09-19-2015, 04:02 PM
Dumb term and a million too much.

JiriHrdina
09-19-2015, 04:15 PM
Might actually end up being OK but speaks to a questionable approach and mindset. It really does seem it is always given, never earned up there.

Textcritic
09-19-2015, 04:19 PM
Actually, Gardiner is a perfect comparison to show how risky (read: stupid) this contract is. Comparing Klefbom today with Gardiner at the same age (22):

Gardiner: drafted #17 overall, 75 games, 7G, 23A, 30P, 18Pims

Klefbom: drafted #19 overall, 77 games, 3G, 20A, 23P, 4Pims

Three years ago, Gardiner was a highly desired young prospect who was considered a shoe-in to be a long-time top 4 defenseman.
This.

Average player on a terrible team looks amazing.

browna
09-19-2015, 04:25 PM
David Staples ‏@dstaples 47m47 minutes ago
Have to say this Oscar Klefbom deal was a bold move by new GM Chiarelli. And I like it.

That's one way to spin it. I choose to spin it as the following:

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-ygwtV7izRZU/VDiXkuH06FI/AAAAAAAAXU0/5AOEJe-dZwc/s500/oie_6ITPjf5I0ALN.gif

The reset button has been hit by the press up there. May not have Lowe egging them on and pouring the kool aid anymore, but they have more than enough experience in ignoring reason and calling dubious deals as bold and positive.

Is there any reason to get such a deal done now for PC? Hasn't played a game under the new coach and he's got $30m dollars. The type of stuff PC got canned for in Boston.

Strange Brew
09-19-2015, 04:33 PM
Yeah this could end up working out for the Oilers but seems like a strange risk to take when you don't have to.

gvitaly
09-19-2015, 04:51 PM
The Edmonton Oilers - Never earned always given.

shogged
09-19-2015, 05:05 PM
This is an Oilers signing. Full of hope

TheCommodoreAfro
09-19-2015, 05:42 PM
Always gifted, never earned.

dieHARDflameZ
09-19-2015, 05:50 PM

Spoken like a true Oilers fan boy.

Ashasx
09-19-2015, 05:53 PM
Klefbom was 5th in defensive zone starts and 2nd in offensive zone starts for the Oilers.

JohnnySkittles
09-19-2015, 06:15 PM
You guys are absolutely brutal when it comes to anything Oilers. Completely unable to acknowledge a good move.

btimbit
09-19-2015, 06:19 PM
You guys are absolutely brutal when it comes to anything Oilers. Completely unable to acknowledge a good move.

I actually thought this thread was pretty mild for a CP Oilers thread. There's a bit of actual discussion

Hackey
09-19-2015, 06:20 PM
Bit of a strange deal. Has potential to pay off but also has potential to really back fire. That Brodie contract looks really good compared to this.

GranteedEV
09-19-2015, 06:23 PM
That Brodie contract looks really good compared to this.

Sure, because Brodie >>> Klefbom

Howeve, I wish we had Brodie on a 7 year deal.

calgaryblood
09-19-2015, 06:41 PM

This isn't a good move. It has the possibility to be a good move. 7 years is a big risk and the money isn't low enough to justify 7 years. Bad move.

Hackey
09-19-2015, 06:44 PM

I do as well but Brodie and his agent probably didn't want that. Set him up for a huge pay day once this deal ends.

dieHARDflameZ
09-19-2015, 06:45 PM

Now now now johnnyskittles, how is that a good move? It COULD end up being one if Klefbom progresses, however surely you can understand why myself and others are second guessing a guy that has only played 77 games in the NHL getting paid only 500K less than Brodie and Josi...

Robo
09-19-2015, 06:47 PM
this is a weird deal for pc to sign because i'm guessing he hasn't really seen him play that much, and their coach doesn't have much input on him, plus they fired all their scouts over this off season. so why would he sign him for 7 years without even watching him play... treliving waited half a season before signing brodie and even longer before extending hartley

Mony
09-19-2015, 07:03 PM
Don't know what to say that hasn't already been repeated. Basically could have the potential to be a bargain, maybe even a huge one - but it's still very, very questionable and I'd argue incredibly dumb. He hasn't even played 82 games and you give him 7 years and circa 30 million.

Under the new GM he's played exactly 0 games and this is the money thrown at him. Always given never earned.

I like Klefbom. I'd take him as our #6 dman. This was dumb though and could very potentially backfire on the Oilers in a couple years.

Textcritic
09-19-2015, 07:10 PM

Brodie is under contract until he is 29-years old. One year older than Klefbom will be when his seven year deal ends.

dirk diggler
09-19-2015, 07:17 PM
kind of reminds me when the Oilers signed Tom Gilbert to a big deal after 1 year... that wasnt a great deal

Enoch Root
09-19-2015, 07:27 PM
Brodie is under contract until he is 29-years old. One year older than Klefbom will be when his seven year deal ends.
This brings up another great comparison. Let's look at Brodie vs Klefbom, post ELCs.

Brodie:
2 x $2.125
5 x $4.65
= 7 x $3.929 Total $27.5M

Klefbom
7 x $4.167 Total $29.169M

Yes folks, Klefbom is being paid almost $2M more than Brodie for their 7 post-ELC years.

GUARANTEED.

Despite the fact that he has so far done nothing.

Textcritic
09-19-2015, 07:29 PM
This brings up another great comparison. Let's look at Brodie vs Klefbom, post ELCs.

Brodie:
2 x $2.125
5 x $4.65

Klefbom

Yes folks, Klefbom is being paid almost $2M more than Brodie for their 7 post-ELC years.

GUARANTEED.

Exactly.

Enoch Root
09-19-2015, 07:35 PM
To further explain the Brodie vs Klefbom comparison, here are their numbers for their first 3 years:

Brodie: 104 Games, 4G, 24A, 28P
Klefbom: 77 Games, 3G, 20A, 23P

Brodie signed a 2 x $2.125M deal (that is what SHOULD happen)

Then, Brodie's game absolutely soared and he became a top pairing Dman (best case scenario) so he got a 5 x $4.65M deal.

Total value over 7 years of $27.5M

Oilers HOPE Klefbom becomes half the player Brodie is. And he is already being paid more.

JiriHrdina
09-19-2015, 08:29 PM

How about you go out and find examples of where a kid with this amount of established success has been handed a deal like this?
Would love to see such examples to demonstrate how this is a "good move".

VERVE
09-19-2015, 08:41 PM

Brodie:
2 x $2.125
5 x $4.65

Klefbom

GUARANTEED.

Perhaps Klefbom has a higher upside in terms of better skills and hockey IQ than Brodie...

Street Pharmacist
09-19-2015, 08:47 PM
Perhaps Klefbom has a higher upside in terms of better skills and hockey IQ than Brodie...
Hahahaha

Poe969
09-19-2015, 08:50 PM
Or perhaps it's just the oilers being the oilers?

Stupid is as stupid does.

Textcritic
09-19-2015, 08:52 PM

Hahahahahahahaha—wait... Is this a serious post? ...

Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha hahahahahahahahahahahaha!!!!!!!!!!

JiriHrdina

This entire contract hinges on "perhaps".

devo22
is he one of the several Giordanos they have?

Textcritic
09-19-2015, 08:53 PM
is he one of the several Giordanos they have?

It's the only plausible explanation.

bdubbs
09-19-2015, 08:55 PM

2 quotes is not enough.

AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA.

codynw
09-19-2015, 08:57 PM

This is amazing.

GranteedEV
09-19-2015, 09:00 PM

Let's try more of these...

Perhaps Pat Sieloff has a higher upside in terms of better skills and hockey IQ than Scott Stevens...

Perhaps Markus Granlund has a higher upside in terms of better skills and hockey IQ than Alex Ovechkin...

Perhaps Pavel Karnaukhov has a higher upside in terms of better skills and hockey IQ than Connor McDavid...

Perhaps Andrew Mangiapane has a higher upside in terms of better skills and hockey IQ than Wayne Gretzky...

VERVE
09-19-2015, 09:00 PM
Hahahahahahahaha—wait... Is this a serious post? ...

Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha hahahahahahahahahahahaha!!!!!!!!!!
Wow, you do have a lighter side. First time I have ever read you laugh...glad to amuse you, serious Text.

Textcritic
09-19-2015, 09:03 PM
In all seriousness, it is pretty clear exactly how this played out:

This is a young player and a savvy agent taking advantage of a desperate organization painted into a corner.

The Oilers need immediate results. Signing this contract provides the impression that an emerging Klefbom is a top pairing defenseman. He's no where near the number on his paycheck for this season just yet, but the number creates the illusion that he is. Good for Klefbom for taking advantage of a perfect storm of incompetence. But this IS NOT a good deal for Edmonton.

VERVE
09-19-2015, 09:03 PM
Let's try more of these...

Perhaps Pat Sieloff has a higher upside in terms of better skills and hockey IQ than Scott Stevens...

Perhaps Markus Granlund has a higher upside in terms of better skills and hockey IQ than Alex Ovechkin...

Perhaps Pavel Karnaukhov has a higher upside in terms of better skills and hockey IQ than Connor McDavid...

Perhaps Andrew Mangiapane has a higher upside in terms of better skills and hockey IQ than Wayne Gretzky...

I guess we will have to wait in a year or two and see if my opinion is true...

Textcritic
09-19-2015, 09:06 PM

With your impeccable track record, I'm not holding my breath.

Textcritic
09-19-2015, 09:07 PM
Wow, you do have a lighter side. First time I have ever read you laugh...glad to amuse you, serious Text.

'not gonna lie—I'm a little drunk right now.

VERVE
09-19-2015, 09:07 PM
In all seriousness, it is pretty clear exactly how this layed out:

This is a young player and a savvy agent taking advantage of a desperate organization painted into a corner.

The Oilers need immediate results. Signing this contract provides the impression that an emerging Klefbom is a top pairing defenseman. He's no where near the number on his paycheck for this season just yet, but the number creates the illusion that he is. Good for Klefbom for taking advantage of a perfect storm of incompetence. But this IS NOT a good deal for Edmonton.
I hear you and I agree. It was a chance they were wiling to take and it could go either way but Klefbom is coachable and played at a very young age (16?) against men in Sweden's elite league and held his own. against them.

VERVE
09-19-2015, 09:09 PM
'not gonna lie—I'm a little drunk right now.
Hey that is fine. Nothing wrong with that.

VERVE
09-19-2015, 09:10 PM
With your impeccable track record, I'm not holding my breath.

Indeed...

MisterJoji
09-19-2015, 09:10 PM

Your opinion history is around 0/25.

StAlbertFlame
09-19-2015, 09:17 PM

Wow

KipperFaNaTic
09-19-2015, 09:41 PM
I actually don't mind the signing as the cap hit isn't an overpayment with the contract covering Klefbom's prime years.

However, I'm not sure if he will continue to progress and reach that potential, as money is no longer an incentive for him. He may become lazy and stagnant.

Greybeard
09-19-2015, 09:57 PM
I actually don't mind the signing as the cap hit isn't an overpayment with the contract covering Klefbom's prime years.

However, I'm not sure if he will continue to progress and reach that potential, as money is no longer an incentive for him. He may become lazy and stagnant.
Oh yeah.... like the 6x6's!!!!

TheCommodoreAfro
09-19-2015, 10:09 PM
What I really don't understand is the urgency for this to happen. To me if I'm Chia I at least give the guy half a season before committing to this. Not sure why this had to happen during training camp before he's played a full season with brand new coaches and management.

That's the part that I wonder about more than anything else. Could have done this in December and then perhaps if he looks like he's on track to improve it looks good. Right now it's just a box with a bunch of question marks on it. Good? Bad?

That's a chunk of change to commit to a question where the best answer is "maybe".

Enoch Root
09-19-2015, 10:16 PM
What I really don't understand is the urgency for this to happen. To me if I'm Chia I at least give the guy half a season before committing to this. Not sure why this had to happen during training camp before he's played a full season with brand new coaches and management.

That's the part that I wonder about more than anything else. Could have done this in December and then perhaps if he looks like he's on track to improve it looks good. Right now it's just a box with a bunch of question marks on it. Good? Bad?

That's a chunk of change to commit to a question where the best answer is "maybe".

Yup. Like Mony said, Chiarelli has been GM for zero games and one practice. Boom! Seven year deal for a kid with 77 games played.

Sure, Chiarelli would have had some knowledge of him, obviously. But you don't really get to know players until they're on your team.

Waiting a couple of months would have cost them what? (answer: nothing)

T@T
09-19-2015, 10:22 PM
Interesting his cap hit of $4.167m is exactly the same as his former teammate with Farjestads Jonas Brodin, same age, same draft and probably the same agent. coincidence?

Of course the similarities end there..Brodin is twice as good.

gvitaly
09-19-2015, 10:32 PM
I guess when you win the lottery so often you are bound to become a gambling addict. This contract is a huge gamble, no matter which way you spin it. Until a prospect shows consistency from season to season he doesn't deserve such a contract.

I wonder what would've happened if the Oilers drafted Sven Baertschi instead of us. 6x6 deal after the first season?

#-3
09-19-2015, 10:36 PM
I'd say its crazy that he got the term and the money, but really it's crazy that he got either. This should have been around 2Y x $2M.

jayswin
09-19-2015, 10:41 PM
...and on that day a new Oiler trademark was born. The Perhaps Contract.

FlatLandFlamesFan
09-19-2015, 10:44 PM
$4millx7 years ?
I'll just leave this here
http://40.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m1vuc3bLiK1rn95k2o1_500.jpg
http://www.google.com/url?sa=i&source=imgres&cd=&ved=0CAYQjBwwAGoVChMIsMGUteaEyAIVkAWSCh3pEQgt&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.reactiongifs.us%2Fwp-content%2Fuploads%2F2013%2F11%2Fyoure_serious_futu rama.gif&psig=AFQjCNEEPjTX579i085JSyiR1dpaLAorvw&ust=1442810586624927

Point Blank
09-19-2015, 10:51 PM

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-zFm97YREBwY/Umd3fG2bCUI/AAAAAAAAOds/eiJcnyZ5TAM/s1600/bender-laughing.gif

Slacker
09-19-2015, 11:10 PM

http://static1.gamespot.com/uploads/original/792/7922233/2898398-0119564919-26203.gif

jayswin
09-19-2015, 11:27 PM

http://www.attendly.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/06/kanye-west-are-you-serious-gif.gif (http://www.google.ca/url?sa=i&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=images&cd=&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0CAcQjRxqFQoTCOLw7p7whMgCFc-WiAod27gFsg&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.attendly.com%2Fkayaking-as-an-adventure-sport-friday-funnies%2F&psig=AFQjCNGrUk4riGDnKUEm5w5HmACCinKjKA&ust=1442813186795765)

Imported_Aussie
09-19-2015, 11:45 PM
This deal looks premature, so it remains to be seen if it will end up good, average or poor for the Oilers. One thing they did need to do is commit to building a defence. Obviously this in their minds is around Nurse, Sekera, Klefbom and Reinhart. I don't care how good their forwards are - that is not a defence that will win playoff series, if it evens makes it any time soon.
The Oilers need Klefbom to be a big piece of their D really bad, so they have to pony up money and hope - especially since they have set the precedent of paying for potential with the rest of their youngsters.

The Yen Man
09-20-2015, 12:18 AM

Exactly. This is a bad contract based on your point right there. Chiapet had no reason to offer this contract right now. If he had done it in December, or even at the end of the season, I'm pretty sure he could have signed him for the same amount and term. At least by then, you have more games to gauge his potential. Its a needless gamble, and just makes Chia look terrible.

But hey, as a Flames fan, I'm loving the start of his tenure. I hope he offers Reinhart 7 years x 4 million after 20 games into the season.

FireGilbert
09-20-2015, 01:17 AM
So funny, even with a new GM the Oil still haven't figured out what a bridge deal is.

The comparable to Brodie is also hilarious. I can see why Oiler fans think Klefbom is better though. First round pick good, fourth round pick bad derpa derp derp.

3rd line Grinder
09-20-2015, 03:31 AM
oil gonna oil!

Cali Panthers Fan
09-20-2015, 05:36 AM
So listen, not that I'm really into defending the Oilers, but I kind of feel everyone is being a little unfair...but then again it's the Oilers and nobody deserves to be fair to them. ;)

However, here is the Hero Chart for Klefbom last year.

https://cdn0.vox-cdn.com/thumbor/sNtaeJXZ_W1CrBmnkAYXnXLwDs0=/cdn0.vox-cdn.com/uploads/chorus_asset/file/3537054/Screen_Shot_2015-03-24_at_2.11.05_PM.0.png

Enoch Root is correct in saying he still makes major mistakes, but that's what you would EXPECT for a rookie defenseman. Brodie was not much better in his first full season. What you want to see is growth and learning from your mistakes. In that sense, everyone is correct in saying that Chiarelli could have easily waited to see how he performed this year (especially under McLellan's tutelage) before doing this deal.

The other thing is that by all accounts Justin Schultz played much better when paired with Klefbom. He'll never be confused for a defensive stalwart, but if they can get Schultz playing passable defense at the NHL level that's a win, especially when you consider his offensive upside (think Mike Green).

Also, one last thought: While the cap has stagnated this year, it isn't out of the realm of possibilities for it to still go up over time. Consider that many regular 3rd pairing d-men are now regularly being offered salaries in the $3 million range, it's not ridiculous to think that they could make somewhere around $4 million in the future as a standard. In that line of thinking, EVEN IF Klefbom were no more than a 3rd pairing guy, it still wouldn't be a terrible contract down the road. I think he'll likely be a top 4 guy, especially if he's coached well.

EldrickOnIce
09-20-2015, 07:24 AM
I expect this deal will look better than signing of Sekera to 6 yrs @ 5.5

Klefboom's deal could go either way

CaptainCrunch
09-20-2015, 08:41 AM
Lets see Chia drove the Bruins into the ground and cap hell.

He's just following his instincts in Edmonton.

For a little over 10.5 million he signed long term deals with a questionable top pairing and more like a solid middle pairing guy in Sekeras, He signed a bottom pairing young defenseman who might be ok down the road but is also a bungle machine to a long term more then he's worth contract.

The Flames bought in and signed Dougie Hamilton a top pairing capable young defenseman, and resigned a young top pairing capable defenseman for a combined million dollars less.

We're just spoiled by competency.

Its lucky that Chia stumbled into the savior in McCorkscrew, because without that draft pick, he didn't have the summer that the Oilers needed.

Seachd
09-20-2015, 08:46 AM
To further explain the Brodie vs Klefbom comparison, here are their numbers for their first 3 years:

Brodie: 104 Games, 4G, 24A, 28P
Klefbom: 77 Games, 3G, 20A, 23P

No, these are Klefbom's numbers for his first 2 years.

mikephoen
09-20-2015, 09:42 AM
Is this the longest contract ever signed by someone with less than 80 games played in the NHL?

FlamesFanStrandedInEDM
09-20-2015, 09:45 AM
It reminds me of my EA Sports Be a GM signings.

ricardodw
09-20-2015, 09:55 AM
So let me get this straight.... Klefbom is entering the 3rd year of his ELC. He is in the same contractually position as Monahan, Gaudreau, Barkov, Mackinnon, Ristolainen, Seth Jones and Nichushkin.

Elias Lindholm was in the same position and got extended for 2.7 for 2 years.

The only bargaining chip that these players have to get more than 2.5-3M for the next 2 years is an RFA offer sheet where the offering team to force the salary has to risk at least a first round draft pick.

A team offering 4.167 for any term to Klefbom would have to risk a first and a 3rd.

For what they have done in their careers so far Monahan, Gaudreau, Barkov, Mackinnon, Seth Jones and Nichushkin have all had a far better season than Kelfbom.

Oiler management is so far ahead of the pack they think they are leading when in fact they are getting lapped.

ricardodw
09-20-2015, 10:11 AM
Is this the longest contract ever signed by someone with less than 80 games played in the NHL?

On September 12, 2006, DiPietro signed a 15-year, $67.5 million contract with the Islanders They wanted to sign him to a similar in Sept 2005 (dipierto had 81 NHL games with 28-38-13 record) but the league stepped in and discouraged the Islanders but after a solid 63 game year in 2005-06 there was no holding the Islanders back.

I wonder if the league and the NHLPA will step in in the next CBA an make a rule where the league can reject obviously stupid contracts? It hurts the players as well as the owners as there is a finite amount of cap space that the Oilers have chosen to give to Klefbom rather than some players who deserve it.

VERVE
09-20-2015, 10:13 AM
So let me get this straight.... Klefbom is entering the 3rd year of his ELC. He is in the same contractually position as Monahan, Gaudreau, Barkov, Mackinnon, Ristolainen, Seth Jones and Nichushkin.

Elias Lindholm was in the same position and got extended for 2.7 for 2 years.

The only bargaining chip that these players have to get more than 2.5-3M for the next 2 years is an RFA offer sheet where the offering team to force the salary has to risk at least a first round draft pick.

A team offering 4.167 for any term to Klefbom would have to risk a first and a 3rd.

For what they have done in their careers so far Monahan, Gaudreau, Barkov, Mackinnon, Seth Jones and Nichushkin have all had a far better season than Kelfbom.

Oiler management is so far ahead of the pack they think they are leading when in fact they are getting lapped.

Given his rising skill and talent, the Oilers are projecting Klefbom to be a top pairing guy (from 3 or 4 to a 2 or 3 dman) playing big minutes in 2 -3 yrs time. The Oilers management are paying him more money upfront and lesser in his later years. This obviously enticed Klefbom and agent to sign longer term beyond his UFA eligibility and keeping him while in his prime (until 29). My observation in short.

In my earlier post, I forgot to add a qualifier of in the near future that Klefbom skills and talents vs Brodie is perhaps better in (2-4 yrs) hoping to explain his higher salary.

PaperBagger'14
09-20-2015, 10:33 AM
Given his rising skill and talent, the Oilers are projecting Klefbom to be a top pairing guy (from 3 or 4 to a 2 or 3 dman) playing big minutes in 2 -3 yrs time. The Oilers management are paying him more money upfront and lesser in his later years. This obviously enticed Klefbom and agent to sign longer term beyond his UFA eligibility and keeping him while in his prime (until 29). My observation in short.

In my earlier post, I forgot to add a qualifier of in the near future that Klefbom skills and talents vs Brodie is perhaps better in (2-4 yrs) hoping to explain his higher salary.

You say given as if it's this sure fire can't miss thing. I haven't seen it, much of this site hasn't seen it, and it's still being trumpeted like Klefbom will be that top pairing D. Is there a chance he could develop into that top pairing D man? Yes. Is a ~$30 million contract worth that risk? It's a given to me that he isn't worth it.

YoungGuns
09-20-2015, 10:39 AM
Klefbom's top ceiling is a #2 and that is a small chance. I would say a really good #3. The biggest risk here is long term injury. With his pedigree, he is not falling off the face of the earth. It's a good gamble.

ricardodw
09-20-2015, 10:44 AM

In 2010-11 as a 20 year olds Tim Erixon and David Rundblad were on the Swedish national men's team and had can't miss top-4 d-men designation in Calgary and Ottawa, possibly in 2011-12 but almost surely after that and for a long time.

Thank goodness they were not given $4M 7-year deals based on these widely assumed projections.

YoungGuns
09-20-2015, 10:49 AM
He is still on his ELC next year as well. It's better to form a more targeted opinion after then.

getbak
09-20-2015, 10:54 AM
How good will his upcoming season have to be for anyone to look back on this next June and say, "Wow, Chiarelli really knew what he was doing when he got Klefblom locked up for 7 years at that price"?

For me, that's why this isn't a good deal. It might be a good deal in the long term, but it's also a deal that could likely be signed 8 months from now. Next summer, it's most likely that we'll look back on it and either say it's a fair deal for both sides or it's a bad deal for the Oilers. It's unlikely that we'll look back on it and say the Oilers got a bargain.

ricardodw
09-20-2015, 10:56 AM
How good will his upcoming season have to be for anyone to look back on this next June and say, "Wow, Chiarelli really knew what he was doing when he got Klefblom locked up for 7 years at that price"?

For me, that's why this isn't a good deal. It might be a good deal in the long term, but it's also a deal that could likely be signed 8 months from now. Next summer, it's most likely that we'll look back on it and either say it's a fair deal for both sides or it's a bad deal for the Oilers. It's unlikely that we'll look back on it and say the Oilers got a bargain.

exactly.... what a great year he would have to have to put him in the 6x6 category

Fire
09-20-2015, 11:01 AM
Klefbom at best is a future #3. He might be a top pairing guy on a terrible team like the Oilers. Contract could work out but it sets a bad precedence for future signings. Always given, never earned. Still waiting for those $6x6 million contracts to become bargains for Eberle and Nugent-Hopkins.

YoungGuns
09-20-2015, 11:02 AM
Klefbom at best is a future #3. He might be a top pairing guy on a terrible team like the Oilers. Contract could work out but it sets a bad precedence for future signings. Always given, never earned. Still waiting for those $6x6 million contracts to become bargains for Eberle and Nugent-Hopkins.
If he is "at best a #3" then this is a great deal.

HAHA. Still waiting for those 6x6 to be a bargain? People who dissed those contracts look like morons now.

Bandwagon In Flames
09-20-2015, 11:02 AM
Great way to sum up the deal. It's not a huge gamble, but it seems to be an unnecessary gamble and a similar deal likely could of been made next off-season.

Knowing the Oilers management though, they are projecting McDavid to score 100 points this season and Klefbom collecting points alongside all of their amazing talent that's clearly already proven their worth in the NHL. Oh wait..

YoungGuns
09-20-2015, 11:04 AM
So if Klefbom continues to progress, do you know for sure he would sign the same deal next summer?

VERVE
09-20-2015, 11:05 AM
You say given as if it's this sure fire can't miss thing. I haven't seen it, much of this site hasn't seen it, and it's still being trumpeted like Klefbom will be that top pairing D. Is there a chance he could develop into that top pairing D man? Yes. Is a ~$30 million contract worth that risk? It's a given to me that he isn't worth it.
The Oilers obviously believes Klefbom stock will rise in a few years therefore signing him long term is less risky and they have control over him and the budget. They feel signing for a little more now and saving in the future paying him under 5 million for UFA status is pretty fair deal especially if he becomes a number 2 or 3. The overall deal is fairly good for under 5 million for 7 years (I think) given his projection.

CorsiHockeyLeague
09-20-2015, 11:08 AM
Honestly not that good... he'd basically just have to be slightly better than last year and boom, solid price for a young top 4 defender with upside. My thing is that there probably wasn't a lot of downside to waiting another year to do this; it's unlikely he would have commanded significantly more next summer.

Hackey
09-20-2015, 11:26 AM
It was a calculated risk by the Oilers but you'd hope they have a good idea of his talent and potential. Its definitely a risk giving him so many years but if it pays off it could be a really nice signing. If he pans out average then the deal looks ok. If he ####s the bed then its terrible. The risk is there but I don't think its that high. I think there is more potential for upside or at minimum a decent deal. As a Flames fan though I'll definitely be hoping this back fires terribly for them.

Enoch Root
09-20-2015, 11:29 AM
It was a calculated risk by the Oilers but you'd hope they have a good idea of his talent and potential. Its definitely a risk giving him so many years but if it pays off it could be a really nice signing. If he pans out average then the deal looks ok. If he ####s the bed then its terrible. The risk is there but I don't think its that high. I think there is more potential for upside or at minimum a decent deal. As a Flames fan though I'll definitely be hoping this back fires terribly for them.

Yup. Fortunately, the GM had already had a full practice with him.

#-3
09-20-2015, 11:33 AM
So listen, not that I'm really into defending the Oilers, but I kind of feel everyone is being a little unfair...but then again it's the Oilers and nobody deserves to be fair to them. ;)

This is just a bad, bad, bad deal.

It could become a good deal, but the Oilers just didn't have to take this risk, because odds are they could have extended him at about the same amount 2 years down the road, and if his play would have demanded more that would be great pay him more he makes your team better.

But what if 4 or 5 years down the road he is still a 3rd pairing player or doesn't even belong in the league. I don't think its unreasonable to think they could happen. Dmen stall out at various levels of progression all of the time.

Saving $500k - $1M just isn't worth the risk of having an anchor or a contract $3M higher than it needs to be.

The Brodie comparison 2 years ago is a great one, a slightly mistake prone player that gets way too much TOI because he is on a bad team. But we all have to remember Brodie spent the next 2 season as a top pairing player, and there is no way of knowing Klefboms progress

Fire of the Phoenix
09-20-2015, 11:48 AM
So funny with examples like Gardiner, Hodgson and Cowen that teams still insist on taking these insane gambles with young players. These types of players (and Klefbom) aren't even top tier like Doughty, Stamkos... why the mad panic to lock them up for so long? It would be like BT signing Bennett (hypothetically I know he has 2 years on his ELC) to a 7/8 year for 4.5m AAV if he had a 30 point rookie season... Bennett has more pedigree/potential than Klefbom and that would still be just as stupid.

Best case scenario is Klefbom turns into Roman Josi over the course of the deal. This is a real long shot IMO as I personally don't see him even becoming a top 50 Dman. Worst case, he's Cowen or Gardiner. The chance that either scenario happens are probably pretty similar (remote), the most likely outcome is probably that he will be worth the contract, but just because he's a competent #4. If that happens, they've locked an average player up for 7 years with cap uncertainty looming (probably going to be flat or slightly decrease until if/when the CDN dollar rebounds). I don't know about you guys but I don't want the Russells of the world locked up for 7 years, even if they are competent.

I's all about managing risk. There's a reason super long term deals are better gamble with elite, established guys than they are for good depth/support players. If an elite player loses a step, they can still be a good depth player. If a good depth player loses a step, they are out of the league. 7 years is a long time to not be able to protect yourself against a player not performing up to expectations. This is literally the exact type of signing that screwed over Boston's salary cap situation. Granted, Chia was giving older players those deals in Boston, at least Klefbom still has room to grow. However, at the end of the day, potential is pretty much useless unless it is realized. A 22 y.o. #6/7 guy is no more useful than a 30 y.o #6/7 guy if he never takes that next step. The vast majority of players never take that next step.

Can't wait to see what Nurse gets, he's got to be licking his chops right now. If he plays the next two years the way I think he will, he's going to look at Klefbom's contract and be like "I want 7m for 7 years" and what will they do, play hardball with their future #1 Dman because they blew their wad on Klefbom and Sekera? Between Nurse and McDavid, it might cost the Oilers 15m-17m combined to retain both with the salary structure they are starting to put in place.

dieHARDflameZ
09-20-2015, 11:54 AM
If he is "at best a #3" then this is a great deal.

HAHA. Still waiting for those 6x6 to be a bargain? People who dissed those contracts look like morons now.

Hold on I'm confused. Are you saying the 6x6 contracts that were signed are now bargains???

If so, HAHAHAHAHAHAHA.

Fire of the Phoenix
09-20-2015, 12:03 PM
Hold on I'm confused. Are you saying the 6x6 contracts that were signed are now bargains???

If so, HAHAHAHAHAHAHA.

Even if Hall is a 7m player being paid 6m and RNH and Eberle are worth it, it still won't matter. There's a good chance all those 6x6's expire before any of those guys play a single playoff game.

The best part is, you know whatever savings Chia enjoys from those 3 playing above/at their deals will be wasted 10 fold on bad contracts for other players. Managing the cap is Chia's biggest weakness (besides trading), it's going to fun watching this play out.

YoungGuns
09-20-2015, 12:12 PM
Tell me what a guy who finishes top 10 in NHL SCORING TWICE in 3 seasons would sign for after that.

I'm very curious to hear your response. I hope you come up with a good one that I don't shred to pieces.

What does a guy who hit a point per game in his sophomore season get? A season where your numbers should drop? And after that his worst is a 0.81 PPG.

How about a guy who hit 0.83PPG in his rookie year and the last half of last year was a top 3 scorer in the NHL

How about a guy who finished with 80 points in 75 games before last year?

Probably all a one off right.

Please tell me how that would get you less than 6.

dieHARDflameZ
09-20-2015, 12:19 PM
Tell me what a guy who finishes top 10 in NHL SCORING TWICE in 3 seasons would sign for after that.

I'm very curious to hear your response. I hope you come up with a good one that I don't shred to pieces.

What does a guy who hit a point per game in his sophomore season get? A season where your numbers should drop? And after that his worst is a 0.81 PPG.

How about a guy who hit 0.83PPG in his rookie year and the last half of last year was a top 3 scorer in the NHL

The thing I consistently love about Oilers fans is how infatuated they all are with individual statistics and how they completely lose site of the big picture, team success.

Other than RNH, who actually gives a ****, you guys build your team around a group of perennial losers plain and simple. As long as Taylor Hall and Eberle are a part of your core moving forward, enjoy finishing in the basement.

As a Flames fan, it's fantastic.

jg13
09-20-2015, 12:26 PM
hahahahahahahhahahahahahahah

http://i59.tinypic.com/15ml749.png

Street Pharmacist
09-20-2015, 12:26 PM
Those 6x6 contracts are bargains. Doesn't mean I'd have Hall or Eberle on my team

activeStick
09-20-2015, 12:29 PM
Nm

schteve_d
09-20-2015, 12:29 PM
I have to wonder: Since Chi and McLellan weren't in Edmonton last year and the Oilers have reportedly fired all of their scouting staff, who's recommendation are they relying on for Klefbom's potential? Dumb and dumber (Lowe and McTavish)?

Enoch Root
09-20-2015, 12:33 PM
Nm

This is proof positive that, even though the general standing in front of the camera has changed, the old regime is alive and well and still running the show.

getbak
09-20-2015, 12:33 PM
Lowe (Dennis) and MacT (Mac) explain to Chiarelli (Frank) how to run the Oilers (one bad word)...

_5GiEgDbG0I

YoungGuns
09-20-2015, 12:47 PM
The thing I consistently love about Oilers fans is how infatuated they all are with individual statistics and how they completely lose site of the big picture, team success.

Other than RNH, who actually gives a ****, you guys build your team around a group of perennial losers plain and simple. As long as Taylor Hall and Eberle are a part of your core moving forward, enjoy finishing in the basement.

As a Flames fan, it's fantastic.

I knew the only response I would get was "team success". No tangible response.

It doesn't work like that in a contract world. Go talk to an agent

YoungGuns
09-20-2015, 12:51 PM
Show me, why at that time, they did not deserve those contracts, AT THAT TIME.

AcGold
09-20-2015, 12:51 PM
There's only three Oilers I'd take. Eberle, the Nuge and Mcnugget. The rest of them would be in the press box, one floaty lazy play by Hall and he'd be canned unlikely to earn his way back on the ice. Goals are nice and all, but not at the expense of screwing over the team and finishing last.

squiggs96
09-20-2015, 12:53 PM
Instead of a NTC I'd demand a Guaranteed Trade Clause for me to sign in Edmonton.

Enoch Root
09-20-2015, 12:58 PM
lol

First 3 seasons, Hall vs Tavares:

Hall......: 171G, 65G, 80A, 145P
Tavares: 243G, 84G, 118A, 202P

Hall's 3rd season was the lockout, so if we prorate his numbers, we get:

Hall......: 203G, 76G, 104A, 180P

Tavares signed for 6 x $5.5M

How are they doing now (Tavares is one year further along):

Hall......: 299G, 106G, 157A, 263P
Tavares: 432G, 174G, 227A, 401P

They are pretty similar with respect to production per game, but Tavares has been far more durable. Tavares has also led the Islanders to a couple playoff appearances.

Fire of the Phoenix
09-20-2015, 12:59 PM

Hall's contract is good (and so is RNH's) but it won't matter because they'll be expired before the Oilers ever get their crap together. Now it looks like it would've been better to bridge them because now they're going to have to re-sign them as UFAs just as Connor starts hitting his prime. Not that management could've foreseen that, but it is a risk you run when you start giving out longer/more expensive contracts then you have to and you have a bad team that won't contend for years and years. it's hilarious that they apparently thought the savings from those 6x6 deals would be used to help build a contender over that period. Instead they spend to the cap every year while being terrible. Who really cares if Hall is getting 0m, 2m, 4m, 6m or 8m if the team is being paid 70m but is really worth 30m?

In an alternate universe, Hall and RNH sign 2 year bridge deals and are now coming in to negotiate their 7/8 year deals. I doubt either player gets more than 7m-8m AAV over 8 years if they are RFA next summer. Instead, the Oilers are going to have to re-sign them at age 27, right in their prime as UFAs. They'll both easily get 9m+ on their next deals while all the 'savings' on their previous deals will be to the benefit of terrible teams in the past that couldn't take advantage of those savings anyway.

dieHARDflameZ
09-20-2015, 01:00 PM
lol

First 3 seasons, Hall vs Tavares:

Hall......: 171G, 65G, 80A, 145P

Hall's 3rd season was the lockout, so if we prorate his numbers, we get:

Hall......: 203G, 76G, 104A, 180P

Tavares signed for 6 x $5.5M

How are they doing now (Tavares is one year further along):

Hall......: 299G, 106G, 157A, 263P
Tavares: 432G, 174G, 227A, 401P

They are pretty similar with respect to production per game, but Tavares has been far more durable. Tavares has also led the Islanders to a couple playoff appearances.

But team success doesn't matter right? Hahaha

YoungGuns
09-20-2015, 01:01 PM
That is a good reach about Tavares and Hall.
There's only three Oilers I'd take. Eberle, the Nuge and Mcnugget. The rest of them would be in the press box, one floaty lazy play by Hall and he'd be canned unlikely to earn his way back on the ice. Goals are nice and all, but not at the expense of screwing over the team and finishing last.

The fact that you would take Eberle is laughable.

I would throw him away in a heartbeat. He is a Gudreau clone but bigger.

Enoch Root
09-20-2015, 01:01 PM
Show me, why at that time, they did not deserve those contracts, AT THAT TIME.

See my post above for a comparison

One more point though... the fact that it was GIVEN to all 3 of them helped establish the 'given, not earned' attitude that still permeates their room.

schteve_d
09-20-2015, 01:02 PM

If you want to troll, troll, but ridiculous statements like this just get you on ignore lists.

YoungGuns
09-20-2015, 01:03 PM
But team success doesn't matter right? Hahaha

Yup one guy who is compared to a guy who got into his league like McDavid

And Hall still is on par.

Enoch Root

How is it a reach?

YoungGuns
If you want to troll, troll, but ridiculous statements like this just get you on ignore lists.

Tell me what is trollish about that. Stats wise

YoungGuns
09-20-2015, 01:04 PM
If Johnny can put up that many next year sure. Because sure ain't a Bergeron.

YoungGuns
09-20-2015, 01:05 PM
How is it a reach?

How is it?

A top 10 finish in 2 years is not good?

GettinIggyWithIt
09-20-2015, 01:09 PM
If Johnny can put up that many next year sure. Because sure ain't a Bergeron.

This is exactly the point - by the Oilers logic - Johnny would already have a contract based on IF. How can you not see the hypocrisy of your statement and then defend the Oilers actions when they turn around and reward players like Klefbom after one decent year.

YoungGuns
09-20-2015, 01:10 PM
What pedigree does Johnny have?
I think he is a good player too

Enoch Root
09-20-2015, 01:11 PM
How is it?

A top 10 finish in 2 years is not good?

Apparently logic is hard for you, so I will explain...

You wanted someone to try and argue that Hall, Ebsy and Nuge's contracts aren't great.

Since you think Hall is awesome, I used him and compared him to Tavares.

Tavares has better numbers, has been healthier, and has led his team to the playoffs.

Yet Tavares signed for less money.

Therefore (let me know if I am going too fast) Tavares' contract is better than Hall's.

You don't like Eberle. If Hall's contract isn't as good as Tavares', then obviously Eberle's isn't either.

bzoo02
09-20-2015, 01:11 PM
I think something that separates Oilers fans and Flames fans is that we (flames fans) for the most part aren't overly concerned about individual points.
What we concern ourselves with is the impact that individual has within the team. After all hockey is a team game.

Enoch Root
09-20-2015, 01:12 PM
What pedigree does Johnny have?
I think he is a good player too

another Oiler-fan classic!

who cares about actual results - it's all about where they were drafted.

Gaudreau a 4th rounder? Pffft!

ricardodw
09-20-2015, 01:16 PM

That is a lot like comparing what the Flames secondary prospects did the last 20 games of 2013-14.... Hankowski, Van Brabrant, Wotherspoon, Aguisitino, Baertschi, Breen, and Reinhart all looked great when the Flames were out of the playoffs and basically playing exhibition games...... that did not mean that they were NHLers or ever would be.

The 6M guys with the Oilers have played a total of 20 games a year where the games counted. After the first 20 games the Oilers have had virtually no chance to make the playoffs and were in tanking and pad the personal stats mode.

At even strength where a 6 m player should dominate: Hall career -23, Eberle career -39 and RHN -23... How do you pay someone who is not as good as the players they consistently line up opposite anymore than 2.5-3M until they get better?

Correct me if I am wrong but I don't recall any RFA offers rumored for these guys that were some other team was willing to give up a bunch of draft picks? Right now they could be in their 2.5M bridge contracts and actually be tradeable.

YoungGuns
09-20-2015, 01:21 PM
That is a lot like comparing what the Flames secondary prospects did the last 20 games of 2013-14.... Hankowski, Van Brabrant, Wotherspoon, Aguisitino, Baertschi, Breen, and Reinhart all looked great when the Flames were out of the playoffs and basically playing exhibition games...... that did not mean that they were NHLers or ever would be.

The 6M guys with the Oilers have played a total of 20 games a year where the games counted. After the first 20 games the Oilers have had virtually no chance to make the playoffs and were in tanking and pad the personal stats mode.

At even strength where a 6 m player should dominate: Hall career -23, Eberle career -39 and RHN -23... How do you pay someone who is not as good as the players they consistently line up opposite anymore than 2.5-3M until they get better?

Correct me if I am wrong but I don't recall any RFA offers rumored for these guys that were some other team was willing to give up a bunch of draft picks? Right now they could be in their 2.5M bridge contracts and actually be tradeable.
Tell me what the Oilers guys did compared to others at that time.

Put some effort into into it

Still Waiting for this one

Hackey
09-20-2015, 01:32 PM
Yup. Fortunately, the GM had already had a full practice with him.

True. I forgot that GM's only watch their own team and never keep an eye on the rest of the league. Also forgot that GM's never consult with scouts or other members of the organization or colleagues. I forgot video has yet to be invented as well.

dieHARDflameZ
09-20-2015, 01:36 PM

Gaudreau is far more defensively responsible as well and despite what you may think, defense matters.

YoungGuns
09-20-2015, 01:38 PM
I'm still waiting for some proper evidence.

YoungGuns
09-20-2015, 01:38 PM
Gaudreau is far more defensively responsible as well and despite what you may think, defense matters.

How is he?

Enoch Root
09-20-2015, 01:41 PM
True. I forgot that GM's only watch their own team and never keep an eye on the rest of the league. Also forgot that GM's never consult with scouts or other members of the organization or colleagues. I forgot video has yet to be invented as well.

Fully expected this response from you.

Obviously, every GM is familiar with the players on other teams. However, there is a difference between familiar with other teams' players, and being ready to sign a kid (who has played the Bruins at most 4 or 5 times) to a 7 year contract.

And yes, GMs consult with their scouts. Unfortunately, Chiarelli fired a bunch of his.

But the primary point is that the organization would have been behind this. That is the really scathing thing about this contract - it screams of the old-regime, we LOVE our own prospects crap that we have seen up there for years.

Enoch Root
09-20-2015, 01:46 PM
I'm still waiting for some proper evidence.

Grow up.

YOU brought up Gaudreau with a back-handed insult and comparison to Eberle.

Gaudreau out-performed every member of the Oilers last year in the only metric that matters for Oiler fans - points.

He was also surprisingly sound defensively.

He also helped lead his team to the 2nd round of the playoffs.

The only person on this board that needs to come up with some evidence is you.

YoungGuns
09-20-2015, 01:52 PM
Grow up.

YOU brought up Gaudreau with a back-handed insult and comparison to Eberle.

Gaudreau out-performed every member of the Oilers last year in the only metric that matters for Oiler fans - points.

He was also surprisingly sound defensively.

He also helped lead his team to the 2nd round of the playoffs.

The only person on this board that needs to come up with some evidence is you.

So one year ok? Not when it matters to Oiler players though

Show me those defensive numbers

DownhillGoat
09-20-2015, 01:56 PM
So one year ok?
Does he have a 7 year contract?

YoungGuns
09-20-2015, 01:57 PM
Is one year ok?

Enoch Root
09-20-2015, 02:01 PM
So one year ok? Not when it matters to Oiler players though

Show me those defensive numbers

look yourself

use your own favourite defensive metric - plus/minus

YoungGuns
09-20-2015, 02:04 PM
I'm not the one that pimps those numbers.

dieHARDflameZ
09-20-2015, 02:13 PM
How is he?

I can assure you, having lived in Edmonton and watched a pile of Oilers games and pretty well watching every Flames game for as long as I can remember, Gaudreau is far more responsible in his own end. It's called the eye test. You should try it sometime.

dieHARDflameZ
09-20-2015, 02:17 PM
Yup one guy who is compared to a guy who got into his league like McDavid

And Hall still is on par.

Trust me when I say this, if you polled all 30 GM's and that includes Chiarelli (assuming he removes his homer glasses), all 30 of them would take Tavares over Hall.

Benched
09-20-2015, 02:32 PM
lol @ the Gaudreau insult.

Again it's brain damaged. "he had 1 good year, IF he can do it again..." (inherent doubt)
"clefbom is going to be a top 2 D" after 1 year (inherent belief)

Man I get players aren't all apples to apples, but that's some serious blind ass gambling right there.

Agree with those posting before. Deal may look good in 5+ years, may not. The risk on signing a young guy to a huge term deal based solely on 'potential' is just not smart GM'ing, period.

vilzeh
09-20-2015, 05:09 PM
YoungGuns, you for real? I knew fans have some homer-glasses on but you're on your own level. (No, that's not a good thing).

Zevo
09-20-2015, 05:34 PM
Holy #### some of you are suckers.

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-34NK32fxSok/ThTTe-8QUzI/AAAAAAAAC44/LJquPEPqfwI/s1600/hook.jpg

vilzeh
09-20-2015, 05:44 PM
I know it might seem like he's trolling but I kinda feel like he isn't.

Kaine
09-20-2015, 05:56 PM
I can't believe how many of you bit on that.

vilzeh
09-20-2015, 06:09 PM
It depends, did we bit? You never know when it's about the Oilers, they just might be that dense. If it would be an other team, I would be sure it's trolling.

MissTeeks
09-20-2015, 06:21 PM
@reporterchris: Breakdown of Oscar Klefbom's seven-year extension with the #oilers: $3M, $3.5M, $4M, $4.5M, $4.5M, $4.5M, $5.169M.

@reporterchris: To clarify, Oscar Klefbom has an eight-team no-trade clause for the final two years of his #oilers extension.

Dan02
09-20-2015, 06:38 PM
@reporterchris: To clarify, Oscar Klefbom has an eight-team no-trade clause for the final two years of his #oilers extension.

He's in Edmonton, where could he possibly not want to be traded too? Was he allowed to put KHL teams on that list?

driveway
09-20-2015, 06:48 PM
I think this contract isn't as terrible as a lot of people are making it out to be. Yes, it's too long, and it might be a mistake, but the Oilers have managed to create some certainty around their cap situation. Hall, Eberly, Hopkins, Pouliot, Sekera, and now Klefbom are signed through 2018-19 (which will be the 1st year of McDavid's new contract) for a total of 31 million. Going forward, the Oilers must feel they have a 'core' around which they can build, and this contract-structure gives them some flexibility for signing/not signing players like Yakupov (RFA 2018), Draisaitl (RFA 2018), Reinhart (RFA 2018), and Nurse (RFA 2019). It also allows them an idea of what kind of Free Agents they're going to want to look for and add to the roster.

If they'd gone with a 2-year bridge deal for Klefbom, he'd have needed a new contract right in 2018, when all those RFA's are coming up for new contracts. Should he turn out to be the defender that the Oilers hope he will be, then 2018 would have been a murderous offseason for their cap-situation and they'd likely have had to say goodbye to at least a couple of those RFA's, possibly without any, or much, compensation. At least this way, if Klefbom isn't a top-4 guy, the Oilers can look to make a move for him in 2018 to a team who needs to make it up to the cap-floor. His contract is significant, but not onerous, and he'll be an established NHL guy by then.

It's a risk, but I don't think it's at all the idiocy that a great many people here are painting it as.

YoungGuns
09-20-2015, 06:59 PM
He's in Edmonton, where could he possibly not want to be traded too? Was he allowed to put KHL teams on that list?

He would have to ask Gio where the best place is

dieHARDflameZ
09-20-2015, 07:04 PM
He would have to ask Gio where the best place is

Based on Gio's freshly signed contract, I'm sure the answer would be Calgary. Flames fans live in the present.

Street Pharmacist
09-20-2015, 07:45 PM
I think this contract isn't as terrible as a lot of people are making it out to be. Yes, it's too long, and it might be a mistake, but the Oilers have managed to create some certainty around their cap situation. Hall, Eberly, Hopkins, Pouliot, Sekera, and now Klefbom are signed through 2018-19 (which will be the 1st year of McDavid's new contract) for a total of 31 million. Going forward, the Oilers must feel they have a 'core' around which they can build, and this contract-structure gives them some flexibility for signing/not signing players like Yakupov (RFA 2018), Draisaitl (RFA 2018), Reinhart (RFA 2018), and Nurse (RFA 2019). It also allows them an idea of what kind of Free Agents they're going to want to look for and add to the roster.

If they'd gone with a 2-year bridge deal for Klefbom, he'd have needed a new contract right in 2018, when all those RFA's are coming up for new contracts. Should he turn out to be the defender that the Oilers hope he will be, then 2018 would have been a murderous offseason for their cap-situation and they'd likely have had to say goodbye to at least a couple of those RFA's, possibly without any, or much, compensation. At least this way, if Klefbom isn't a top-4 guy, the Oilers can look to make a move for him in 2018 to a team who needs to make it up to the cap-floor. His contract is significant, but not onerous, and he'll be an established NHL guy by then.

It's a risk, but I don't think it's at all the idiocy that a great many people here are painting it as.
Totally agree except the Oilers will have to make a decision on Neon Leon one year earlier as they wasted the first year of his ELC on harming his development last year.

The difficult the oilers are going to have cap wise if having so many high picks forming their core inflates contracts. Hard to find a cheap second contract if they get inflated with draft status. For example, if Keith in Chicago was a top 3 pick, they never would've got the dollar figure they did. You need to have cheap RFA contracts that exceed expectations, which is hard when expectations start very high.

It's for that reason I actually don't mind this contract from Chiarelli's perspective. They'll absolutely need undervalued contracts. So the next step is to roll the dice with your best bet of that happening. It's not going to happen with Nurse, as he wouldn't touch that contract, same with Draisaitl. Sekera signed a UFA deal so you know you overpaid, that's how that market works. Schultz won't sign a seven year and the Oilers would be foolish to offer it. There's few other targets where savings can be had.

Whether or not Klefbom becomes an adequate first or second pairing option, they will play him there as they need the savings. He's a good bet to be a second pairing guy, so they likely overpaid by a small amount IMO

Oil Stain
09-20-2015, 08:03 PM
Totally agree except the Oilers will have to make a decision on Neon Leon one year earlier as they wasted the first year of his ELC on harming his development last year.

The difficult the oilers are going to have cap wise if having so many high picks forming their core inflates contracts. Hard to find a cheap second contract if they get inflated with draft status. For example, if Keith in Chicago was a top 3 pick, they never would've got the dollar figure they did. You need to have cheap RFA contracts that exceed expectations, which is hard when expectations start very high.

It's for that reason I actually don't mind this contract from Chiarelli's perspective. They'll absolutely need undervalued contracts. So the next step is to roll the dice with your best bet of that happening. It's not going to happen with Nurse, as he wouldn't touch that contract, same with Draisaitl. Sekera signed a UFA deal so you know you overpaid, that's how that market works. Schultz won't sign a seven year and the Oilers would be foolish to offer it. There's few other targets where savings can be had.

Whether or not Klefbom becomes an adequate first or second pairing option, they will play him there as they need the savings. He's a good bet to be a second pairing guy, so they likely overpaid by a small amount IMO

First off, you can't compare any team to Chicago anymore as they have two 10+ year back diving contracts in Keith and Hossa which enabled them to keep their entire core together longer than any future team will be able to.

I also don't think the Klefbom contract is a bad bet, I just don't get the need for offering it now. The guy still has a season left on his ELC and odds are great that he will score 30 or less points in the upcoming season.

If that's the case you could have signed him to the exact same contract after he'd had another season to prove his worth.

The Oilers took on unneccesary risk here and they didn't get a discount on the cap hit to compensate for that.

Street Pharmacist
09-20-2015, 08:14 PM
First off, you can't compare any team to Chicago anymore as they have two 10+ year back diving contracts in Keith and Hossa which enabled them to keep their entire core together longer than any future team will be able to.

I also don't think the Klefbom contract is a bad bet, I just don't get the need for offering it now. The guy still has a season left on his ELC and odds are great that he will score 30 or less points in the upcoming season.

If that's the case you could have signed him to the exact same contract after he'd had another season to prove his worth.

The Oilers took on unneccesary risk here and they didn't get a discount on the cap hit to compensate for that.
Ok, forget Keith and think Byfuglien.

Regardless, you need the savings on semi core guys. Cheap solid minutes. It's way tougher to do that with high picks as the expectation is part of what you're paying for.

Would Yakupov be getting $2.5 if he was a third round pick? No. Therefore, they have to gamble. Wait too long and the opportunity is gone.

Enoch Root
09-20-2015, 08:25 PM

Regardless, you need the savings on semi core guys. Cheap solid minutes. It's way tougher to do that with high picks as the expectation is part of what you're paying for.

Would Yakupov be getting $2.5 if he was a third round pick? No. Therefore, they have to gamble. Wait too long and the opportunity is gone.

Nope. It's bad risk management.

You don't manage an organization by taking risks in hopes that it solves problems that you've created for yourself.

Pay guys what they're worth and no more. If you have too many good players (lol), you make decisions on who to keep and you roll the others out for futures and youth (that's how Byfuglien is relevant here).

The Oilers are going to be in cap trouble soon because they have drafted terribly and don't/won't have guys that can contribute on ELCs.

All they have is their 'stars'. And as a result, now they are throwing the dice.

That is not good management.

Oil Stain
09-20-2015, 08:26 PM

Yeah, that's absolutely true about the high picks. Their ELC's don't help with any savings.

I think the long term contracts 6X6s that are widely mocked here are turning out pretty well for the Oilers. You aren't signing a guy with Hall's track record to a contract today for only $6.

If the Oilers start doing better in the standings they will have the opportunity to bring in cheap, decent vets on one year deals as Chicago, LA, and Pittsburgh have to augment their core.

It'd be nice if they get lucky and hit on an impact player deep in the draft, but as a manager you can't count on that happening. The Flames for instance hit on two 4th rounders recently, but probably went 10+ years before without finding anything significant that deep in the draft. Which is the same for most teams.

VERVE
09-20-2015, 08:39 PM

Correct me if I am wrong but I believe Klefbom's 7 yr contract doesn't kick in until his ELC is over that is after the 2015-2016 season. He will only make about 832,000 this upcoming season then 3 million after that etc. The contract runs pass his UFA eligibility and essentially the Oilers signed him (as a UFA) for over 4 million and 5 million when he is 28 and 29 yrs of age. A bargain by today's standard and Klefbom is under team control until 30 and then available as UFA.

Street Pharmacist
09-20-2015, 08:40 PM
Correct me if I am wrong but I believe Klefbom's 7 yr contract doesn't kick in until his ELC is over that is after the 2015-2016 season. He will only make about 832,000 this upcoming season then 3 million after that etc. The contract runs pass his UFA eligibility and essentially the Oilers signed him (as a UFA) for over 4 million and 5 million when he is 28 and 29 yrs of age. A bargain by today's standard and Klefbom is under team control until 30 and then available as UFA.
You cannot sign an extension more than 1 year away I believe

Textcritic
09-20-2015, 08:41 PM
Whoosh.

VERVE
09-20-2015, 08:53 PM
You cannot sign an extension more than 1 year away I believe
I think you are right. They can only sign him to a new contract as RFA by end of next season or an extension this summer (fall). So his 7 yr contract kicks in this year.

VERVE
09-20-2015, 08:59 PM
Whoosh.

I stand corrected. His 7 yr contract starts this season. I was also trying to say the Oilers signed him over a longer term pass his UFA eligibility status at 27 yrs of age. He is under Oilers property until he is 29 (not 30). If they were to re-sign him (as a UFA) then, it would surely costs more than what he is currently signed for.

Street Pharmacist
09-20-2015, 09:03 PM
I stand corrected. His 7 yr contract starts this season. I was also trying to say the Oilers signed him over a longer term pass his UFA eligibility status at 27 yrs of age. He is under Oilers property until he is 29 (not 30). If they were to re-sign him (as a UFA) then, it would surely costs more than what he is currently signed for.
Will it? He's done nothing for you to suggest it's a sure thing

Resolute 14
09-20-2015, 09:04 PM
Should have known that this thread would be full of Oiler fans begging for the validation of Flames fans.

VERVE
09-20-2015, 09:14 PM
Will it? He's done nothing for you to suggest it's a sure thing
I guess they do see his upside and potential. Every signing has an element of risk be it injury or the player doesn't perform as projected. The salary may be higher than deserved in his first couple of years but they are banking he will be a number 2 or 3 dman, then it will be a bargain in his later years of contract. It is a good deal.

VERVE
09-20-2015, 09:20 PM
Should have known that this thread would be full of Oiler fans begging for the validation of Flames fans.

Begging for validation? I don't see it. Is it not a discussion with varied opinions from interested sport fans.

Street Pharmacist
09-20-2015, 09:21 PM
I guess they do see his upside and potential. Every signing has an element of risk be it injury or the player doesn't perform as projected. The salary may be higher than deserved in his first couple of years but they are banking he will be a number 2 or 3 dman, then it will be a bargain in his later years of contract. It is a good deal.
Yes every signing has risk. The less you know about the player the bigger the risk. Having 23 points in a very small sample of 77 NHL games makes the risk quite big

getbak
09-20-2015, 09:31 PM
No, you were right the first time. This new contract doesn't start until 2016. It covers 4 years of RFA status and 3 years of UFA.

That's the point those of who are questioning the timing of this deal are making: It's highly unlikely that Klefbom will have a season that will make people look back on this next summer and think that Chiarelli got a long-term bargain for the Oilers. It's most likely that we'll look back next summer and think that Chiarelli got a good deal, but one that could have been signed next June. There's also the chance that Klefbom won't have a great season and that this will look like an overpayment next summer.

It might be the right signing to make in June 2016 (although, I still don't like going longer than 4 years on most contracts). It's a completely unnecessary signing to make in September 2015.

VERVE
09-20-2015, 09:32 PM
Yes revert signing has risk. The less you know about the player the bigger the risk. Having 23 points in a very small sample of 77 NHL games makes the risk quite big
Sure if one is only looking at numbers on a stat sheet. However, like any professional sports team, each have their many scouts providing tangible to intangible stats via skating, character, mental makeup, skill, talent, hockey IQ, leadership qualities, performance under pressure (poise) etc.
The Oilers have their own formula in gauging Klefbom and how he projects in a few years time and believed he is worth the calculated risk to sign long term.

Street Pharmacist
09-20-2015, 09:34 PM
Sure if one is only looking at numbers on a stat sheet. However, like any professional sports team, each have their many scouts providing tangible to intangible stats via skating, character, mental makeup, skill, talent, hockey IQ, leadership qualities, performance under pressure (poise) etc.
The Oilers have their own formula in gauging Klefbom and how he projects in a few years time and believed he is worth the calculated risk to sign long term.
Yes. Ever team has that and many make mistakes. The fact the Oilers have scouts and made this decision doesn't mean it's a "sure thing" he'll be a big ufa prize as you said. There's plenty of risk

VERVE
09-20-2015, 09:41 PM
No, you were right the first time. This new contract doesn't start until 2016. It covers 4 years of RFA status and 3 years of UFA.

That's the point those of who are questioning the timing of this deal are making: It's highly unlikely that Klefbom will have a season that will make people look back on this next summer and think that Chiarelli got a long-term bargain for the Oilers. It's most likely that we'll look back next summer and think that Chiarelli got a good deal, but one that could have been signed next June. There's also the chance that Klefbom won't have a great season and that this will look like an overpayment next summer.

It might be the right signing to make in June 2016 (although, I still don't like going longer than 4 years on most contracts). It's a completely unnecessary signing to make in September 2015.
Hindsight is 20/20 and now looking back at the signing of Hall, Eberle and maybe RNH to a 6X6 contract is giving too much too soon for unproven worth. Now, the question is did they under perform due to poor management (decision) and inadequate coaching support (?). Probably a combination of both. Looking at Klefbom's contract, 7 years under 5 million (and most of it is backend loaded) while going pass his UFA eligibility and with great potential to be top pairing, then it is a good deal and manageable risk to take.

JiriHrdina
09-20-2015, 09:47 PM
Hindsight is 20/20 and now looking back at the signing of Hall, Eberle and maybe RNH to a 6X6 contract is giving too much too soon for unproven worth. Now, the question is did they under perform due to poor management (decision) and inadequate coaching support (?). Probably a combination of both. Looking at Klefbom's contract, 7 years under 5 million (and most of it is backend loaded) while going pass his UFA eligibility and with great potential to be top pairing, then it is a good deal and manageable risk to take.

Again when you are start using words like "potential" you are illustrating what is wrong with this contract.
He didn't earn it.
Paying for potential and hoping it works out.
It may in this case, but good luck running a franchise that way.

VERVE
09-20-2015, 09:50 PM
Yes. Ever team has that and many make mistakes. The fact the Oilers have scouts and made this decision doesn't mean it's a "sure thing" he'll be a big ufa prize as you said. There's plenty of risk

Yes, it is a risk and it is not a sure thing that he will be a top pairing dman. I guess it is like a customer negotiating with an insurance company, both are trying to manage limited risk at a price they can swallow and a premium to charge. At the end of the day, the Oilers and Klefbom (plus agent) will have to come together and live with the deal each compromised on.

VERVE
09-20-2015, 10:00 PM
Again when you are start using words like "potential" you are illustrating what is wrong with this contract.
He didn't earn it.
Paying for potential and hoping it works out.
It may in this case, but good luck running a franchise that way.
This contract is a little easier to swallow because it is not a huge jump for ex. to 4.5 million but starts at 3 million and goes up every 500k or similar. All this (as I was told by Getbak) starts 2016-2017. As discussed, the salary increase is not substantial making the risk manageable in the event Klefbom is a dud. I mean from his interviews, he comes across as a well grounded, coachable and well-liked young man with size and skill. I can live with this strategy of signing Klefbom long term hoping he becomes a bargain at his salary. GTG

Jay Random
09-20-2015, 10:29 PM
This contract is a little easier to swallow because it is not a huge jump for ex. to 4.5 million but starts at 3 million and goes up every 500k or similar.

It isn't the cash that matters, it's the cap hit. If Klefbom doesn't stick as a regular top-4 D, that hit is big enough to cause some serious trouble elsewhere in the lineup.

GranteedEV
09-20-2015, 10:29 PM
It'd be nice if they get lucky and hit on an impact player deep in the draft, but as a manager you can't count on that happening. The Flames for instance hit on two 4th rounders recently, but probably went 10+ years before without finding anything significant that deep in the draft. Which is the same for most teams.

It was still our amateur scouts that found Giordano, whose draft year would have been 2002 or so.

So that's

#1D - 2002
#1D - 2008
#1W - 2011

That's not luck.

YoungGuns
09-20-2015, 10:37 PM
It isn't the cash that matters, it's the cap hit. If Klefbom doesn't stick as a regular top-4 D, that hit is big enough to cause some serious trouble elsewhere in the lineup.
Are you kidding! LOL

That is a bonus or even level.

Jay Random
09-20-2015, 10:48 PM
Are you kidding! LOL

If you think a $4.16m cap hit for a third-pairing defenceman is a good deal, I'd like to sell you a bridge before you run out of money.

cam_wmh
09-20-2015, 10:49 PM
Are you kidding! LOL

Is this supposed to be coherent?

dino7c
09-20-2015, 10:51 PM
always given never earned

Oil Stain
09-20-2015, 10:58 PM
It was still our amateur scouts that found Giordano, whose draft year would have been 2002 or so.

So that's

#1D - 2002
#1D - 2008
#1W - 2011

That's not luck.

How many first round busts did the Flames pick over that time period?

I think when you are working to predict the future, luck is going to play a big role no matter the task.

The case of Giordano also illustrates why the strategy of "Always having good players ready to step in on cheap ELC contracts" isn't really a viable one.

Giordano was in his 6th season with the Flames before he had what we would call an impact year. Brodie had one season in his ELC 2012/13 where he played a top four role, albeit on a poor team. Gaudreau is the best possible outcome for an ELC and the Flames will be paying him big bucks by the time they are ready to contend.

The fact is that the vast majority of players aren't impact contributors on their ELC's and you can't predict when those ones that are will come along.

I think it isn't prudent to bank on getting key contributions from ELCs as part of an effective strategy for a GM.

Lil Pedro
09-20-2015, 11:28 PM
Can't believe they gave $4 million/per for the next seven years to a guy thats only played 77 NHL games, this is so Oilers its not even funny

TBone290
09-20-2015, 11:33 PM
Can we just focus on the flames. I'm tired of seeing arguments with these fools. Same thing in the ENG thread

Sent from my LG-D852 using Tapatalk

Textcritic
09-20-2015, 11:56 PM
Can we just focus on the flames. I'm tired of seeing arguments with these fools. Same thing in the ENG thread

Sent from my LG-D852 using Tapatalk
Give it three or four weeks. All the Oilers apologists will have limped back into their holes for another long winter by the end of October. Just like always.