PDA

View Full Version : GAME 12: BC Lions vs STAMPEDERS

OzSome
09-18-2015, 04:18 PM
Game Time: 7:00pm Friday, September 18th at McMahon Stadium
TV: TSN, ESPN3

Calgary Stampeders, unbeaten at home so far this season will be facing the BC Lions tonight at McMahon Stadium. Stamps never lost a back-to-back games for a few seasons now and they are not planning on breaking that tradition tonight.

OFFENSE:
Look who's back??? RB Jon Cornish will play his first game since he broke his thumb. Stamps without Cornish did not really established a running game and relied on the passing of Mitchell most of the time. Makes you wonder why Mitchell was a bit of inconsistent as of late. Last season against the BC Lions, Cornish carried the ball 20 times for 156 rushing yards on Week 14. No offense to Matt Walter but he didn't really took advantage of his opportunities except for that one game against Saskatchewan. Offensive Line who's been marred with injuries this season lost another OLine to injury last week. Guard Brad Erdos will not play tonight and will be replaced by John Estes in the lineup DT/OL Quinn Smith been practicing with the OLine all week will be backing up Spencer Wilson. Looks like Garry Williams will be in the lineup tonight.

DEFENSE:
Tough lost for the team last week in Edmonton. Defense as a group did not play well last week and the DB got torched by Mike Reilly a few times. Even the ever dependable LB/DB Keon Raymond got beat a couple of times. Good news is DB Brandon Smith will be back in the lineup but unfortunately rookie DB Ciante Evans got injured last week. Look for our defense to bounce back against QB John Beck tonight.

SPECIAL TEAM:
Returner Nathan Slaughter played his first game last week but was not a factor. Special Team group has been the weakest link for this team. This group is very undisciplined with penalties. Last week alone they gave the Eskimos the ball back on Special Team penalty for roughing the kicker. In their defense, referee made a big mistake on that call as they bought Punter Sean Whyte's acting. The majority of the penalties was for holding or illegal block. Positive about the special team is Kicker Rene Paredes. He seems to be back on his formand Punter Rob Maver is consistently playing well with directional punting.

GO STAMPS GO!!

Zach
09-18-2015, 04:53 PM
How has rookie Lemar Durant done so far?

MissTeeks
09-18-2015, 05:14 PM
Should be a nice night for it. Can't wait!

dash_pinched
09-18-2015, 06:09 PM
How has rookie Lemar Durant done so far?

Lemar has been very good, in my opinion. It's tough to get him the ball as the Stamps have a talented group of receivers, but I'm quite pleased with what I've seen from Durant in his rookie season.

transplant99
09-18-2015, 07:34 PM
How many times is it now that the Stamps have fumbled a punt return???

Its absurd.

EldrickOnIce
09-18-2015, 07:53 PM
Monahan looks huge!
Gaudreau not so much

OzSome
09-18-2015, 07:55 PM
Touchdown Fuller!! 2-point convert unsuccessful.

SportsJunky
09-18-2015, 07:55 PM
Nice TD pass to Fuller there. Gutsy pass by Mitchell into some decent coverage.

OzSome
09-18-2015, 07:57 PM
The guy bend down.. not so sure about that penalty.

OzSome
09-18-2015, 08:04 PM
very rare to see Quay dropping the ball on the sweep. Glad Mr. Versatile Spencer Wilson is there to recover the ball.

OzSome
09-18-2015, 08:06 PM
Beck is hurt. Good sack by Bishop and Turner just ran out of gas. :)

OzSome
09-18-2015, 08:10 PM
TD Harrison!! Paredes missed the convert by an inch or did he? It looks good to me.

transplant99
09-18-2015, 08:20 PM
This O-Line simply cannot run block worth a crap.

Its something that has to be addressed before the snow flies or this team wont be doing anything special come November.

OzSome
09-18-2015, 08:22 PM
Yep Special Team penalty again that will cost them 3 or more points.

EldrickOnIce
09-18-2015, 08:24 PM
Safety would have been a good call, after penalty

OzSome
09-18-2015, 08:28 PM
Safety would have been a good call, after penalty

Nah I think it was the right decision. Only problem was Maver didn't get a good punt. They were hoping for the return man ran the clock down. Mark Kilam should start penalizing these guys with excessive dumb penalties.

OzSome
09-18-2015, 08:40 PM
Big difference with Cornish in the lineup. Opponent's defense cannot just keyed on Mitchell passing because they know if they did, Cornish will make them pay.

OzSome
09-18-2015, 08:44 PM
That was a bad attempt of tackling Paredes. Maver would have gone after him. Why can't our special team blocked legally like that.

OzSome
09-18-2015, 08:48 PM
That is BS call. Challenge it Huff.

Never mind.. I guess you can't challenge the offensive pass interference as per Glen Suitor. Freaking ref burned us again. Even Suitor and Cuttbert does not think there was an interference on that play and they are anti-Stamps.

transplant99
09-18-2015, 08:50 PM
Cant challenge offensive PI apparently.

EldrickOnIce
09-18-2015, 08:50 PM
Can't challenge, but was brutal. Terrible

OzSome
09-18-2015, 08:53 PM
Karma.. on the first BC play, Burnett intercepted the ball.

Armchair Quarterback
09-18-2015, 09:00 PM
Freezing Cornish out of our offense is dumb.

OzSome
09-18-2015, 09:04 PM
Slaughter sucks! They should try Greg Wilson as a returner.

transplant99
09-18-2015, 09:05 PM
Freezing Cornish out of our offense is dumb.

They arent freezing him out....the o-line simply cant make room for him so there is literally no point in going back to the run repeatedly only to be smothered.

Armchair Quarterback
09-18-2015, 09:08 PM
They arent freezing him out....the o-line simply cant make room for him so there is literally no point in going back to the run repeatedly only to be smothered.

Now he's not even in the game.

OzSome
09-18-2015, 09:13 PM
What the heck happenned to Stamps' defense after Beck goes down?

browna
09-18-2015, 09:17 PM
Tuning into the game as I have, just listening to it, you'd figure the BC Lions were running away with this. BC this, creative that, "he's feeling it", has a spark etc etc all to do with BC with Cuthbert and Suitor. Stamps have the ball, and not getting a 1st down is alarming/being ineffective and giving the momentum back.

Just another Stamps game on TSN.

OzSome
09-18-2015, 09:19 PM
Nice block Cornish.

Armchair Quarterback
09-18-2015, 09:20 PM
Our offense is brutal.

zamler
09-18-2015, 09:20 PM
Bo needs to get his head in the game.

......brutal. holy ****

OzSome
09-18-2015, 09:21 PM
Freaking Special Team!!!

CofR
09-18-2015, 09:22 PM
At least they didn't get the convert

Edit: ugh

Zach
09-18-2015, 09:24 PM
Ace special teams

OzSome
09-18-2015, 09:25 PM
What a frustrating game to watch. ST sucks all night. Defense were pretty good in the first half then suddenly can't play against a rookie QB. Offense also were good in the 1st half but suddenly couldn't generate anything.

Frank MetaMusil
09-18-2015, 09:25 PM
The problem you will run into is clock management though. BC's front four won't get tired if Calgary's oline is always on their heels pass blocking.

OzSome
09-18-2015, 09:26 PM
Wow no flags?? Amazing!!

OzSome
09-18-2015, 09:27 PM
Mitchell should just throw the ball to Rogers all night.

You Need a Thneed
09-18-2015, 09:27 PM
Time to put his in the end zone.

Armchair Quarterback
09-18-2015, 09:30 PM
The most satisfying thing about an answer like that, is it settles down the TSN commentators.

OzSome
09-18-2015, 09:31 PM
Moniz TD!! Stampeders finally woke up after BC punt return TD. I guess they took them lightly earlier.

Armchair Quarterback
09-18-2015, 09:33 PM
Yeahhh!!!

zamler
09-18-2015, 09:35 PM
The most satisfying thing about an answer like that, is it settles down the TSN commentators.
Haha so true they were ramping up the hope meter pretty good there.

OzSome
09-18-2015, 09:37 PM
Cornish TD!!!

transplant99
Great play call.....awesome.

zamler
What a great run.

OzSome
Why is Mitchell keeps throwing to Parker? The guy can't catch the ball.

Frank MetaMusil
09-18-2015, 09:38 PM
He's not hurt and the o-line is doing a fine job. DD needs to stop ignoring the run game.

Armchair Quarterback
09-18-2015, 09:39 PM
What a run!!! Yeah Cornish!!

zamler
09-18-2015, 09:39 PM
Someone hold Glen Suitor.

Armchair Quarterback
09-18-2015, 09:40 PM
Someone hold Glen Suitor.

Glen Suitor's tears, whenever Calgary wins, are delicious.

zamler
09-18-2015, 09:41 PM
That looked like a legit fumble.

You Need a Thneed
09-18-2015, 09:44 PM
Raymond!

Armchair Quarterback
09-18-2015, 09:48 PM
John Chick's beard really sucks.

zamler
09-18-2015, 09:52 PM
It doesn't matter where the feet are Glen.

You Need a Thneed
09-18-2015, 09:52 PM
Balls not in.

browna
09-18-2015, 09:55 PM
It doesn't matter where the feet are Glen.

Yeah, and, whenever he's annoyed he goes silent...he didn't say anything for 20 seconds after that.

Now picks himself and pumps the tires of another scrub QB as some sort of "spark" just because he can throw the ball a long way (nevermind the terrible interceptions). He'll be in the arena league in a year more than likely. But Suitor goes on Vancouver radio a lot and he has to suckhole to those guys. Same with a kick returner who can run fast in a straight line.

zamler
09-18-2015, 10:01 PM
B.C. is being very stupid, you are not going to win don't risk your backup being injured as well.

You Need a Thneed
09-18-2015, 10:03 PM
Win!

zamler
09-18-2015, 10:06 PM
Is it just me or has almost every Stamps win this season felt very underwhelming. The team never seems to get into a groove.

Frank MetaMusil
09-18-2015, 10:16 PM
Keon Raymond is a game changer. Rich Stubler doesn't get enough credit. Nor does Calgary's defense.

Cornish might ask for a trade once he's back for a few games and this game plan continues. The Stamps didn't run the ball enough when their O-Line was at 100% either. Jon Cornish is a game changer. Use him.

transplant99
09-18-2015, 10:37 PM
He's not hurt and the o-line is doing a fine job. DD needs to stop ignoring the run game.

Tonights line..

18 rushing attempts

54 rushing yards

3.0 yards per attempt

The O-line is not doing a "fine job", they aren't even doing a mediocre job.

DD is smart enough to know when its time to cut bait, which he did at the right time. That's the reason that run was there late for the TD, it was sold as a pass from start to finish and a great cutback run worked.

there is a LOT of work to be done up front.

M*A*S*H 4077
09-18-2015, 10:46 PM
Keon Raymond is and has been for years one of the biggest big play guys in the league. I have no idea how he doesn't get more respect by fans across the league, including Calgary. Brendan Smith is seriously underrated too.

Looked like Eric Fraser was playing safety again for a bit back there. Leaky safety play, otherwise the Stamps D played awesome.

Jennings looks like he could be a good one eventually. Certainly wasn't afraid to try the long ball

Frank MetaMusil
09-18-2015, 11:37 PM
Tonights line..

18 rushing attempts

54 rushing yards

3.0 yards per attempt

The O-line is not doing a "fine job", they aren't even doing a mediocre job.

DD is smart enough to know when its time to cut bait, which he did at the right time. That's the reason that run was there late for the TD, it was sold as a pass from start to finish and a great cutback run worked.

there is a LOT of work to be done up front.
Sure, but 7 attempts at half means the plan was changed. The Eskimos beat Calgary by defense and zone blitzes. If Cornish is rusty he needs to get the ball more, period. He's the best RB in the CFL, you have to use him in the game plan. He's not a "decoy" every game.

OzSome
09-19-2015, 07:32 AM
Keon Raymond is and has been for years one of the biggest big play guys in the league. I have no idea how he doesn't get more respect by fans across the league, including Calgary. Brendan Smith is seriously underrated too.

Looked like Eric Fraser was playing safety again for a bit back there. Leaky safety play, otherwise the Stamps D played awesome.

Jennings looks like he could be a good one eventually. Certainly wasn't afraid to try the long ball

I totally agree about Keon Raymond and Brandon Smith's assessment. They are both leaders and smart defenders. Last week it is noticeable that Smith wasn't playing and as much as I think Ciante Evans is a good DB, he is nowhere as good as Smith. Joe Burnett is turning out to be a very good pickup by Huff in the offseason too.

Jennings played like James Franklin did in relief of Matt Nicholls vs Toronto. Another potential good young QB in CFL and it seems like they are starting to pop up lately. Trevor Harris of Toronto, Rakeem Cato of Montreal, Brett Smith of Saskatchewan, James Franklin of Edmonton, Robert Mavre of Winnipeg and now Jennings in BC. They might not be as good right now and still makes some nistakes but they will learn and we might see some of them starting in their current team or somewhere else next season.

Anyways it is a good win for the Stamps. I thought they played well in the first half but sort of changed once Jennings came in. All 3 (Offense, Defense and Special Team) sort of went to sleep and needed a wake up call in the 4th. Slaughter and the special team were awful until after Rainey scored that punt return TD. When Slaughter returned that kickoff return for a good chunk I was actually looking if there's any penalty flag around. I am glad there was nothing otherwise I would be cursing some more. This is probably the worst I've seen the Special Team played in the last few season. They gave up TDs on both kickoff and punt returns plus the constant penalties drives me nuts. If Stamps is not winning this season, I would think Mark Killam will not have a job with the Stamps after this season.

STAMPEDRED
09-19-2015, 08:49 AM
I totally agree about Keon Raymond and Brandon Smith's assessment. They are both leaders and smart defenders. Last week it is noticeable that Smith wasn't playing and as much as I think Ciante Evans is a good DB, he is nowhere as good as Smith. Joe Burnett is turning out to be a very good pickup by Huff in the offseason too.

Jennings played like James Franklin did in relief of Matt Nicholls vs Toronto. Another potential good young QB in CFL and it seems like they are starting to pop up lately. Trevor Harris of Toronto, Rakeem Cato of Montreal, Brett Smith of Saskatchewan, James Franklin of Edmonton, Robert Mavre of Winnipeg and now Jennings in BC. They might not be as good right now and still makes some nistakes but they will learn and we might see some of them starting in their current team or somewhere else next season.

Anyways it is a good win for the Stamps. I thought they played well in the first half but sort of changed once Jennings came in. All 3 (Offense, Defense and Special Team) sort of went to sleep and needed a wake up call in the 4th. Slaughter and the special team were awful until after Rainey scored that punt return TD. When Slaughter returned that kickoff return for a good chunk I was actually looking if there's any penalty flag around. I am glad there was nothing otherwise I would be cursing some more. This is probably the worst I've seen the Special Team played in the last few season. They gave up TDs on both kickoff and punt returns plus the constant penalties drives me nuts. If Stamps is not winning this season, I would think Mark Killam will not have a job with the Stamps after this season.

hahaha well played!

PrettyBoyFlizzy
09-19-2015, 09:45 AM
Once Eric Rogers goes to the NFL, this team is in shambles.

We will have to win 17-14 games, because other then D and Eric Rogers making plays no one else does.

BLM has been nothing close to the player he was last season, hes been terrible. Some of its oline and a lot of it is hes just off.

dash_pinched
09-19-2015, 10:13 AM
BLM has been nothing close to the player he was last season, hes been terrible. Some of its oline and a lot of it is hes just off.

21 completions on 34 attempts for 268 yards, 2 TDs and 0 INTs. Yeah, terrible is the first word that comes to mind.

Da_Chief
09-19-2015, 10:38 AM

We will have to win 17-14 games, because other then D and Eric Rogers making plays no one else does.

You do realize Rogers came out of nowhere and this is his first full CFL season. Jeff Fuller has had the case dropsies but that might be a good thing as he might've been looking at NFL next year. Just like Fuller and Rogers and many before them this team will find next guy up.

Win 17-14 games for what? to dominate the league?

BLM has been inconsistent this year, everyone except Rogers has been. OL has been injured which has caused the run game to be non-existent which has put a lot more responsibility on BLM. Yet this team is 9-3. If Cornish can start running like his TD run last night, this will solve basically all the issues.

Armchair Quarterback
09-19-2015, 04:03 PM
BLM has been inconsistent this year, everyone except Rogers has been. OL has been injured which has caused the run game to be non-existent which has put a lot more responsibility on BLM. Yet this team is 9-3. If Cornish can start running like his TD run last night, this will solve basically all the issues.

Mitchell has been inconsistent this season but there are a number of reasons for that, including injuries to the O-line and receivers. People also forget that he is still young and has a long way to go in developing his game. I think that he had such a historically great season last year that people are forgetting he is really only in his second year as a starter.

09-19-2015, 04:19 PM

Hey Pete!
Bye Pete.

Roof-Daddy
09-19-2015, 04:24 PM
Haha. I'd wondered where PeteL's negative Stamps posts had gone. Had no idea he'd been banned.