PDA

View Full Version : How not to start NHL training camp (Josh Ho-Sang)

dash_pinched
09-18-2015, 12:22 PM
Arthur Staple

✔ @StapeNewsday
Joshua Ho-Sang was late for the first day of #Isles (https://twitter.com/hashtag/Isles?src=hash) training camp. He's been sent back to Niagara of the OHL. Camp over for him.

Finger Cookin
09-18-2015, 12:26 PM
Ouch. Hopefully this kid "gets it" at some point, because he's quite a talent.

Coach
Bahahaha.

Benched
*golf clap*

btimbit
09-18-2015, 12:27 PM
Isles not messing around

CroFlames
09-18-2015, 12:28 PM
Ouch.

If that doesn't make him grow up, nothing will.

N-E-B
09-18-2015, 12:29 PM
Good for the Isles.

bigbadboss101
09-18-2015, 12:30 PM
traffic jam?

polak
09-18-2015, 12:32 PM
Kid seems to have a major attitude problem.

I'm assuming he was disrespectful when he arrived late? I'd hope if he had a valid excuse an apologized that they wouldn't just cut him.

btimbit
09-18-2015, 12:33 PM
traffic jam?

Doubtful. From the sounds of it he wasn't just a few minutes late, it was quite a while. When the group got off the ice, the media asked the coach where Ho Sang was he replied he didn't know.

Could be wrong that's my interpretation.

Arthur Staple ‏@StapeNewsday 2h2 hours ago
Joshua Ho-Sang not on ice today. Not injured, I'm told. Capuano will update after this group is done.

Christian Arnold ‏@CA_NYHockey 12m12 minutes ago
Yes as @BComptonNHL tweeted. Josh Ho-Sang not on the ice today. Capuano said he'd "have to talk to Garth to find out where he was." #Isles

Finger Cookin
09-18-2015, 12:34 PM

I'm assuming he was disrespectful when he arrived late? I'd hope if he had a valid excuse an apologized that they wouldn't just cut him.
He probably just started shouting "WHAT?! WHAT?! WORLD STAR HIP HOP" while recording the encounter on his phone. :rolleyes:

flamesfan1297
09-18-2015, 12:35 PM
Isles aren't fooling around. Good for them! Kid has lots of talent but lots of attitude

JJ1532
09-18-2015, 12:35 PM
2 ways of looking at this.

In one sense, it's a good statement to make and I'm sure he won't be late for an official engagement again.

But on the other hand, it seems way too harsh to completely pound on a young lad for 1 mistake. I mean, 1 strike and your out seems a bit excessive, especially for a lad that now has no chance to redeem himself. Also sets a dangerous high precedent. What would they do if Tavares or Okposo were late? What will they do if one of their big stars breaks rules?

Finger Cookin
09-18-2015, 12:37 PM
What would they do if Tavares or Okposo were late? What will they do if one of their big stars breaks rules?
Probably suspend them for a period of time. Different options are available for new players vs. vets.

Tavares and Okposo wouldn't be late though.

psyang
09-18-2015, 12:40 PM

In one sense, it's a good statement to make and I'm sure he won't be late for an official engagement again.

But on the other hand, it seems way too harsh to completely pound on a young lad for 1 mistake. I mean, 1 strike and your out seems a bit excessive, especially for a lad that now has no chance to redeem himself. Also sets a dangerous high precedent. What would they do if Tavares or Okposo were late? What will they do if one of their big stars breaks rules?

Josh had serious questions about his attitude/character before the draft. I wouldn't expect him to get the same amount of leeway as a Tavares would.

The Yen Man
09-18-2015, 12:41 PM
Maybe he was saving a puppy from a burning building. I'm willing to bet that's the reason for him being late.

CroFlames

We would really need to know all the details to judge if it was too harsh or not.

One thing is for sure, it sends him (and other rookies) a clear message.

Cali Panthers Fan
Isles shouldn't have drafted him in the first place, it was a waste of a draft pick. He'll never be an NHLer with that approach. Even if his talent gives him a chance to play in the league, no team will put up with that sort of behavior with any regularity. There's too much competition for regular jobs these days to let someone like that stay on your team.

His approach was obvious to many heading into the draft too, so this should hardly be a surprise.

polak
09-18-2015, 12:42 PM
He probably just started shouting "WHAT?! WHAT?! WORLD STAR HIP HOP" while recording the encounter on his phone. :rolleyes:

K well there's that possibility (Brrrrap Brrraaap)

or he could have just not apologized and been a dick about the whole thing.

ClubFlames
09-18-2015, 12:42 PM

2 more ways to look at it.

Ho-Sang: Player with attitude problems from the start. Harshly disciplined.

Tavares/Okposo: Players with no attitude problems in the past. Lightly disciplined (if late)

Finger Cookin
09-18-2015, 12:44 PM

All I was getting that is assuming more above and beyond the few known details isn't necessary to get him sent home. Being late is enough.

btimbit
09-18-2015, 12:46 PM
Isles shouldn't have drafted him in the first place, it was a waste of a draft pick. He'll never be an NHLer with that approach. Even if his talent gives him a chance to play in the league, no team will put up with that sort of behavior with any regularity. There's too much competition for regular jobs these days to let someone like that stay on your team.

His approach was obvious to many heading into the draft too, so this should hardly be a surprise.

This exactly. So many rumours about him being on teams "Do not draft" lists. Worth a risk but not at where he went.

Hockeyguy15
09-18-2015, 12:47 PM
I like this. If you want to be a pro then act like one.

People get disciplined for being late for work all the time.

Tacopuck
09-18-2015, 12:49 PM

This is the NHL, you are lucky to be even attending a camp, show the opportunity the respect it deserves as there is someone waiting right behind you who will. If it was me i would be factoring in to be early by 30mins-1hr just so I have a buffer built in.

Northendzone
09-18-2015, 01:01 PM
normally i you want to make a good impression on your new team, you arrive early.....guess he figures the world runs on josh time.

besides, there are lots of jobs out there that pay about $1,000,000 per year, aren't there?

Jason14h
09-18-2015, 01:05 PM
This is the same as showing up late on your first day of a new job.

When you have worked there for years you can stroll in late and be just fine!

Ulrith
It's also possible the Isles are just doing this to scare the #### out of the kid then call him tonight after camp and say "show up early tomorrow"

Bourque's Twin
How can someone be late for one of the most important events of his life?

Great move by the Isles. Sends a message to everyone.

Resolute 14
09-18-2015, 01:30 PM
Josh had serious questions about his attitude/character before the draft. I wouldn't expect him to get the same amount of leeway as a Tavares would.

Yup. Ho Sang was probably only marginal to make the Isles this year anyway. But if you have a history of issues and you make yourself an issue on day 1 of camp, then expect to get cut.

Resolute 14
09-18-2015, 01:31 PM
It's also possible the Isles are just doing this to scare the #### out of the kid then call him tonight after camp and say "show up early tomorrow"

Nope. Once assigned to junior, he's there until his junior season ends.

Hackey
09-18-2015, 01:35 PM

Or maybe he was just late and this was the punishment.

Fighting Banana Slug
09-18-2015, 01:36 PM
Maybe he showed up with a homemade clock, and this is all racial?

Hackey
09-18-2015, 01:40 PM
Odds of him making the team this year were slim so it looks to me like they are sending him a message. Sets the tone for the rest of the players as well. Hopefully he learns from this and it helps him get to where he needs to be in the future. Personally I'm rooting for him and hope he gets it together.

dino7c
09-18-2015, 01:44 PM
I would hope the Flames would do the exact same thing, NHL is a privilege for a select few...I pay hundreds of dollars to get my ass kicked weekly in beer leagues so zero simpathy

transplant99
09-18-2015, 01:46 PM
This article explains how complex this kid is and why the Isles (or anyone else) won't be putting up with any nonsense and will keep an extremely short leash on him for the foreseeable future.

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/juniors/josh-ho-sang-islanders-prospect/

polak
09-18-2015, 01:46 PM
Or maybe he was just late and this was the punishment.

Then that is super harsh. #### happens.

Ulrith
09-18-2015, 01:48 PM
Nope. Once assigned to junior, he's there until his junior season ends.

True, but has he officially been assigned?

Either way that's a HORRIBLE way to make a first impression. And not just with management, but with your teammates.

Erick Estrada
09-18-2015, 01:56 PM

I believe it's the accumulation of #### happening in his junior career that has led to a short leash. There are hundreds of junior players that would climb mountains for the privilege of attending an NHL camp and IMO super harsh is a player taking that privilege for granted. At the absolute minimum I would expect any junior player to be at least 30 minutes early let alone just on time.

RM14
09-18-2015, 02:03 PM
Interesting Midget AAA teammates....

http://www.eliteprospects.com/team.php?team=8178&year0=2012&status=stats

BACKCHECK!!!
09-18-2015, 02:10 PM
Training camp in many ways is like a job interview.

We know that IF he plays in the NHL, it will be for the Islanders.

But he doesn't play for the Islanders yet, and training camp is where they evaluate him to make that decision.

Show up late for a job interview? Well, you're welcome to apply again next year.

dissentowner
09-18-2015, 02:11 PM
Kid will be another Jason Bonsignore. My friend was the goalie for Niagra when Bonsignore played there and he had oodles of talent but was always the last one on the ice and the first off. The guy just didn't care and thought his skill alone was good enough. Instead he ended up a huge bust for the Grease (yay!)

Enoch Root
09-18-2015, 02:14 PM
I bet he asks for a trade within a year

(I completely agree with the Islanders' stance)

KootenayFlamesFan
09-18-2015, 02:14 PM
Good for the Isles, that's ridiculous.

DoubleF
09-18-2015, 02:37 PM
Training camp in many ways is like a job interview.

We know that IF he plays in the NHL, it will be for the Islanders.

But he doesn't play for the Islanders yet, and training camp is where they evaluate him to make that decision.

Show up late for a job interview? Well, you're welcome to apply again next year.

Not quite the same IMO. I'd consider it that he is already part of the organization and looking for the opportunity to move up. This event made him the first cut and he was sent back to where he played last season (have to wait for next round of promotions to get another chance).

It's not like he was given a big leagues gig and had that taken away. It's like being in a pool of individuals being considered for a promotion. He just pissed off the wrong guy and and his name written off early. Someone could even argue it just happened sooner rather than later.

Meers
09-18-2015, 02:38 PM
The poster child for the "given, never earned" mind set.

He pulled the same type of self-centred, petulant stunts with Hockey Canada and the Windsor Spitfires.

Glad the Isles have decided to discipline this spoiled brat. (I would have kept him at camp just long enough to spar with a heavyweight enforcer before sending him down to junior to heal. But that's just me.)

Thank God he's not a Flames' prospect.

GioforPM
09-18-2015, 02:39 PM
I keep wondering when this kid is going to figure out that it's not everyone else - it's him. Who is his agent? This is the part of his job that people forget - career advice and straight talk.

Enoch Root
09-18-2015, 02:42 PM
I keep wondering when this kid is going to figure out that it's not everyone else - it's him. Who is his agent? This is the part of his job that people forget - career advice and straight talk.

Yeah, that's what I was getting at with the trade comment - my guess is that he will play the victim card again, instead of taking responsibility for himself.

Reggie Dunlop
09-18-2015, 02:49 PM
Holy Schimolies.... The guy makes Robbie Schremp look like Bill Masterton.

GioforPM
09-18-2015, 02:55 PM
Yeah, that's what I was getting at with the trade comment - my guess is that he will play the victim card again, instead of taking responsibility for himself.

The Oilers should make an offer. I'm sure the new dressing room leader McDavid and the saviour coach McLellan will turn him right around.

the2bears
09-18-2015, 03:01 PM

I think that would be a given.

FlamesAddiction
09-18-2015, 03:56 PM
It will probably be the best thing that ever happened to him in his career.

If he isn't a lost cause, this should be the wake up he needs.

Hockey players tend to have to grow up fast. The maturity level of a lot of 18-20 year olds in the NHL always impresses me. A guy like Ho-Sang is probably about as self-centred and annoying as most ordinary kids his age, but it won't fly in the NHL.

FireGilbert
09-18-2015, 04:54 PM
Interesting Midget AAA teammates....

http://www.eliteprospects.com/team.php?team=8178&year0=2012&status=stats

A relative of mine coached him in Midget. He mentioned an 8-1 win where Bennett and McDavid had hat tricks while Ho-Sang was a -1. Ho-Sang complained about not getting enough ice time after the game.

saskflames69
09-18-2015, 04:56 PM
Good for the Isles. However, I wouldn't be surprised if he rebounds from this and improves his attitude. Showing up late on the first day of anything is one of the worst situations you can put yourself into.

Reading that Sportsnet article, Ho-Sang says he hopes to help other kids reach their hockey goals with the wealth he plans to accumulate in the NHL.

Good. Luck. With. That. Pal.

Cleveland Steam Whistle
09-18-2015, 06:24 PM
I like to observe the difference in tone and reaction on here when another org does something like this, and when our own does it. A lot more, "that's how you do it, young guys got to learn this is the NHL" and a lot less "oh my god, was that really necessary and what about his confidence and will this sour other young players on the org." type comments when it's others doing it.

Jay Random
09-18-2015, 06:30 PM
I like to observe the difference in tone and reaction on here when another org does something like this, and when our own does it.

When has the Flames organization done something like this?

JiriHrdina
09-18-2015, 06:37 PM
When has the Flames organization done something like this?

I'd like to know this too. I don't know what situation he is comparing this one too.

dammage79
09-18-2015, 06:39 PM
Odd that Ho-Sang didn't take showing up to training camp of all things seriously. Like do you want to be a millionaire by 25? Come on, some dedication is required.

Kids like that disappoint me. They have all the talent in the world and no mind to use it the right way.

Gaskal
09-18-2015, 08:11 PM
Annnnnd he slept in.

Ho-Sang in Doghouse with Islanders (http://bulletnewsniagara.ca/index.php?p=Sections&id=5584)
On Friday afternoon, that dream came crashing down as Ho-Sang was sent back to Niagara by the Islanders for showing up late on the first day of the main camp.

“Garth Snow and Eric Cairns both gave me a call and let me know he slept in this morning and was being sent home,” General Manager of the IceDogs Marty Williamson said before Friday night’s exhibition game against the Oshawa Generals.

442scotty
09-18-2015, 08:30 PM
All I can say is wow!

Crumpy-Gunt
09-18-2015, 08:34 PM
A bit harsh

Table 5
09-18-2015, 08:48 PM
There must've been a separate knob for the radio alarm.

hockey.modern
09-18-2015, 08:51 PM
Maybe he forgot to set it to AM instead of PM

Sainters7
09-18-2015, 08:52 PM
Why, separate knob?? WHY?!?

Posted from Calgarypuck.com App for Android

JiriHrdina
09-18-2015, 09:30 PM
If I have an important meeting early in the day - I set my phone alarm and regular alarm to make sure I wake up.
I imagine what the Islanders find so offensive is that he cared so little to make sure he was there.
He either learns the hard lesson, or this is who he is. I guess we will find out.

hockey.modern
09-18-2015, 09:33 PM
If I have an important meeting early in the day - I set my phone alarm and regular alarm to make sure I wake up.

Good to know I'm not the only one that does this.

mikephoen
09-18-2015, 09:40 PM

Any remotely intelligent person does this if something is really important. Or even somewhat moderately important.

combustiblefuel
09-18-2015, 09:56 PM
Damn that sucks but I am not to surprised a teenager slept in . That can be an honest mistake he can learn from. Hell, which one of us has never slept in by accident. I have to set up 10 alarms every mourning because sleep right through 80% of them.

sharkov
09-18-2015, 10:04 PM
The punishment is harsh but considering how many players are competing for such few spots the decision to cut him based on punctuality was obvious

I-Hate-Hulse
09-18-2015, 10:43 PM
Annnnnd he slept in.

Ho-Sang in Doghouse with Islanders (http://bulletnewsniagara.ca/index.php?p=Sections&id=5584)

An interesting comment from an ex-Flame in the comments section:

"It was mandatory that we had to trade him," said Spitfires president and head coach Bob Boughner at the time. "For many, many, numerous internal reasons, the people that truly know what went on behind the scenes would understand why we had to trade him. We might not be a better team in the standings because of it, but we're definitely a better team within our four walls and it's only going to help for the future."

the2bears
09-18-2015, 10:47 PM
Damn that sucks but I am not to surprised a teenager slept in . That can be an honest mistake he can learn from. Hell, which one of us has never slept in by accident. I have to set up 10 alarms every mourning because sleep right through 80% of them.

Honestly probably very few on the first day of a new job.

Wormius
09-18-2015, 10:50 PM

It only took one missed flight to a job interview to turn me into an alarm clock redundancy convert.

JiriHrdina
09-18-2015, 11:11 PM

I've slept in by accident but never on a morning where I had to do something really important. If you care about something, you damn sure make you it doesn't happen.

RyZ
09-18-2015, 11:26 PM
A bit harsh

Why? Around 1500 players reported to NHL training camps today, probably 500 of them had 9am ice times and only 1 of them didnt show up on the ice.....just because.

With his age, reputation and past, if Im Islanders management I beyond pissed. The black mark he is painting on himself is getting long and dark.

combustiblefuel
09-19-2015, 12:20 AM
Honestly probably very few on the first day of a new job.

Out of the billons of people out there? Im sure more than a very few . In one province alone I doubt very few.

Caged Great
09-19-2015, 12:26 AM
I've slept in by accident but never on a morning where I had to do something really important. If you care about something, you damn sure make you it doesn't happen.

Exactly, if I have to be up early I set two tablets + two alarms at varying lengths from my bed to make sure that I get up. if it's important you do what you got to do.

Point Blank
09-19-2015, 01:24 AM
Didn't something very similar happen with Kirill Kabanov and the Islanders just a couple of years ago?

Vulcan
09-19-2015, 01:43 AM
An interesting comment from an ex-Flame in the comments section:

That's the most damning thing I've read about him. All the other articles seem to say he's just a misunderstood teen but according to Boughner he was affecting the team with his shenanigans so badly he had to get rid of him.

pseudoreality
09-19-2015, 02:13 AM
I seem to remember a similar thing happending to Steve Kariya something like 15 years ago in Vancouver. He didn't get sent home, but had to sit out a day of camp or something like that. It's really hard to make the team when you sit out.

sureLoss
09-19-2015, 02:44 AM
He blew a big opportunity.

Isles had him on a line with Tavares and Lee for the first day and potentially further through camp:
http://www.newsday.com/sports/hockey/islanders/joshua-ho-sang-late-to-islanders-training-camp-and-is-returned-to-ontario-league-1.10860406?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

taffeyb
09-19-2015, 04:19 AM
A bit harsh

Maybe. What it doesn't say is how he reacted. "I'm sorry, coach. It won't happen ever again." is quite a bit different than "I just slept in! People do it all the time!"

badger89
09-19-2015, 08:38 AM
I sat near Treliving and the Flames scouts yesterday and they were talking about Ho Sang. They had a good chuckle. It didn't sound like any of them have a high opinion of the kid. Treliving's comment was that he'd have been more surprised if Ho Sang had actually made practice on time.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Heavy Jack
09-19-2015, 08:50 AM
That guy is going to have to change his tune pretty quickly if he ever hopes to make the big league. I mean he talks about dreaming to help kids with the scads of money he plans to make because they have to worry about eating first before thinking about playing hockey, how he never really had it hard, he received everything he needed to build his skills. He needs to show that you have to work hard no matter what to achieve your dreams and then magically he'll be able to do what he says he hopes to do with all that money. Guys like Josh astound me, its right there in front of you, you can take it, you just have to show up and compete for the team. Cough baertschi cough ;)

Hackey
09-19-2015, 09:01 AM
Any remotely intelligent person does this if something is really important. Or even somewhat moderately important.

Since your phone can set multiple alarms I always use 2 on regular work days and I'll even do 3 if I'm really concerned. Even with 2 I have slept in a couple times and not even realized it though. One of them was actually my first orientation day at a new job but thankfully I had set my alarm so far in advance I litterally got ready in 5-10 minutes and raced there just on time.

Hackey
09-19-2015, 09:11 AM

I don't know the details but it kind of sounded like he missed the entire on ice portion or at least a considerable amount. Its one thing to be a few minutes late but sounds like he was significantly late. Combined that with everything else we know about his situation and maybe they just wanted to send a clear message to him in hopes that it might be a wake up call for him. Its a tough decision because a talented kid like him youd like to see getting that experience of camp but at the same time maybe the message is even more critical to his future. I think they made the right call not because I think he needs to be punished but more so because I think he needs an attitude change and I think this is more likely to do that as opposed to letting him get away with it.

sureLoss
09-19-2015, 09:46 AM
Sounds like it isn't the first issue he has had with the Islanders:

Arthur Staple @StapeNewsday
#Isles GM Garth Snow not mincing words about Josh Ho-Sang, telling Newsday: "Enough with the bull----. It's time to grow up."

Enoch Root
09-19-2015, 09:58 AM
All this talk about setting alarms is hilarious. We're not talking about Monday morning at the job site here, we're talking about the first day of the event that every prospect has been waiting their whole life for. It would be more a question of being able to get ANY sleep than it would about waking up on time.

Also, a pro sports team isn't just a job, it's a team where everyone has to be at their best or the team fails. Guys train like mad for years - when someone 'sleeps in' they are disrespecting the effort and commitment of their teammates.

As for the team, if you allow that, you state to the whole team that you accept mediocrity.

Finally, as sureloss' post above suggests, it's very probable that this isn't the first issue for him.

bob-loblaw
09-19-2015, 10:20 AM
I don't know about any of the arrangements for training camps, but wouldn't the tryouts be staying together, having team breakfasts, going to the rink, etc.? If so, this is pretty unbelievable. I know there's a track record with him, but I wonder if this stuff is just a side effect of some really serious issues that he might be struggling to deal with.

the2bears
09-19-2015, 10:29 AM
Out of the billons of people out there? Im sure more than a very few . In one province alone I doubt very few.

I meant "very few" as a relative term. But what's your point? I don't think sleeping in is an acceptable excuse in his case. Allow him to learn from this and hope he does (if you're him, and the Isles).

Street Pharmacist
09-19-2015, 10:56 AM
This is the most important practice of the year. It's akin to sleeping in for a job interview. Unacceptable

Jay Random
09-19-2015, 10:59 AM
More like sleeping in on the morning you were due to cash in your $1,000,000 winning lottery ticket.

Hackey
09-19-2015, 11:26 AM
All this talk about setting alarms is hilarious. We're not talking about Monday morning at the job site here, we're talking about the first day of the event that every prospect has been waiting their whole life for. It would be more a question of being able to get ANY sleep than it would about waking up on time.

Also, a pro sports team isn't just a job, it's a team where everyone has to be at their best or the team fails. Guys train like mad for years - when someone 'sleeps in' they are disrespecting the effort and commitment of their teammates.

As for the team, if you allow that, you state to the whole team that you accept mediocrity.

Finally, as sureloss' post above suggests, it's very probable that this isn't the first issue for him.

Woah man relax. Its like your personally offended by this. Out of all the posts I read in this thread I only saw one person remotely defending him.

dustygoon
09-19-2015, 11:37 AM
Guy has oil written all over him.

Enoch Root
09-19-2015, 02:22 PM
Woah man relax. Its like your personally offended by this. Out of all the posts I read in this thread I only saw one person remotely defending him.

I am not sure why you would think I am not relaxed

Like all the other posts in this thread, I stated an opinion on the topic.

Thanks for caring how I feel though

hockey.modern
09-19-2015, 02:56 PM
@StapeNewsday: And before Ho-Sang was dismissed, had to run the stairs at the Coliseum for three hours as punishment. #Isles

@StapeNewsday: Ho-Sang had to be woken up Friday morning at the hotel by team staff while his teammates were already on the ice.

dash_pinched
09-19-2015, 06:17 PM
I like the fact that they made him run the stairs and then sent him home.

transplant99
09-19-2015, 06:40 PM
@StapeNewsday: And before Ho-Sang was dismissed, had to run the stairs at the Coliseum for three hours as punishment. #Isles

@StapeNewsday: Ho-Sang had to be woken up Friday morning at the hotel by team staff while his teammates were already on the ice.

Lets do some math .

Normally for first day of camp I would say the majority of players are there at least an hour before getting on the ice. Most of those same guys would have awoken at least an hour before that.

So at the very minimum, he didn't just hit snooze a couple times and showup a bit late....he slept at least 2 hours minimum too long for one of the biggest days in his entire life.

Hmmm.

DownhillGoat
09-19-2015, 06:56 PM
What I find odd, if he was woken up in his hotel room, do these guys not share a room? I thought that was general team protocol, seems odd that a guy would be on his own over training camp.

jayswin
09-19-2015, 07:04 PM
What I find odd, if he was woken up in his hotel room, do these guys not share a room? I thought that was general team protocol, seems odd that a guy would be on his own over training camp.

He likely would have had a roommate, but if he's anything like what past teammates/coaches/GM's have suggested I wouldn't be surprised if a rival training camp attendee looked at him laying there, laughed, and left for practice, haha.

Dion
09-19-2015, 07:09 PM
Lets do some math .

Normally for first day of camp I would say the majority of players are there at least an hour before getting on the ice. Most of those same guys would have awoken at least an hour before that.

So at the very minimum, he didn't just hit snooze a couple times and showup a bit late....he slept at least 2 hours minimum too long for one of the biggest days in his entire life.

Hmmm.

The Islanders are probably wishing they never drafted the kid. What a waste of a 1st round pick!

420since1974
09-19-2015, 07:29 PM
I read somewhere else today that his roommate tried to wake him but gave up.

The Isles aren't blaming the roommate.

jayswin
09-19-2015, 07:51 PM
He likely would have had a roommate, but if he's anything like what past teammates/coaches/GM's have suggested I wouldn't be surprised if a rival training camp attendee looked at him laying there, laughed, and left for practice, haha.

Given what we know I'm willing to bet my post is closer to the truth. He just seems like the jerk teammate that everyone hates, and if you really want to wake someone up for such an important day, you shove them a bit and they wake up, and at the very least you resort to a shove as you're heading out the door and you know he's ****ed.

I'm sure he looked at him sleeping through his alarm and went "Haha, you just ****ed yourself buddy", and then gave a heartfelt "I tried everything to wake him coach", followed by management saying "Don't worry kid, this isn't your problem, this is on Josh".

transplant99
09-19-2015, 07:57 PM
Snow would not elaborate on the punishment, but a team source told Newsday that Ho-Sang was forced to run the stairs at Nassau Coliseum for three hours on Friday before the general manager verbally dressed down Ho-Sang and sent him back to Niagara of the Ontario League.

"He's obviously very talented, but talent isn't the issue," Snow told Newsday. "It's about becoming a professional and acting like one. Hopefully he takes this lesson and learns from it. It's really up to him now -- we can't do anything else for him in this area."

"The situation that took place for me is unacceptable. I can say after the conversation that took place, he knows exactly where he stands," coach Jack Capuano said after the Isles' second day of training camp. "Garth was brutally honest with him and now it's up to him."

"It's your first day of NHL camp and you're not here at all . . . I don't see that," Tavares said. "I don't get how you don't have 3-4 alarms set, how you're not jumping at that first opportunity to show what you need to show. I know how highly the organization views him, too."

yeah... he has pissed off everyone in that organization.

http://www.newsday.com/sports/hockey/islanders/isles-gm-garth-snow-reads-riot-act-to-josh-ho-sang-1.10863651

JiriHrdina
09-19-2015, 08:27 PM
Any comment from Ho-Sang himself yet?

transplant99
09-19-2015, 08:56 PM
Any comment from Ho-Sang himself yet?

Something along these lines I assume

http://media.giphy.com/media/i67uIY4a61ejm/giphy.gif

Dion
09-19-2015, 09:43 PM
If the Spitfires were forced to trade him it makes me wonder if this kid is beyond repair and any attempts to get him to change his ways will be futile. You'd think the message would have sunk in by now but it appears it hasn't.

I-Hate-Hulse
09-19-2015, 10:54 PM
He'll have 100 million in the bank by the time he's 35, no doubt.

A hundred million rubles that is....

combustiblefuel
09-20-2015, 12:45 AM
I meant "very few" as a relative term. But what's your point? I don't think sleeping in is an acceptable excuse in his case. Allow him to learn from this and hope he does (if you're him, and the Isles).

Before all this other news came out on him I was just thinking it was an honest mistake. I don't think it's an acceptable exuse unless you have an illness etc. I remember what it was like before cell phones were everywhere and times I slept through my alarm. I was just trying to emphasize with a 19 yr old kid thats all.

I remember one time when I was pulled off a train by the transit cops in Calgary because I couldnt find a my ticket within 4 seconds after asking for it. I found it immediately after I had been escorted off the train. It would have been my first day at a new job and it cost me that opportunity. We didnt have all the details at the t8me so I gave the kid a break because #### happens .

I also was trying to say that in yor whole life you have never made a huge mistake that cost you ? No bodys perfect but with the new info at hand my opinion has changed.

I was trying to emphasize because we dont know why he missed his alarms. If it was for something like he took the red eye/ late night ride in thought he could just take a nap etc. I just wasn't trying to be one of those guys to jump at the opportunity to teash a kid right away. The world is filled with enough people who will tear you down at a drop of a pin.

combustiblefuel
09-20-2015, 12:54 AM

Didnt try hard enough apparently lol then again why would you your competing for a job against him.

Seriously tho It's not the roomates job but I would have thrown an ice bucket of water on him for his sake. My dad started doing that to me once I got into high school . Trust me that does wake you up. I got a 5 minute warning once my alarm clock went off. I made aure I was up every day right after the first alarm went off after yhe first time. Snooze button was not an option. That was before cellphones tho.

Camronius
09-20-2015, 08:01 AM
I was just trying to emphasize with a 19 yr old kid thats all.

I remember one time when I was pulled off a train by the transit cops in Calgary because I couldnt find a my ticket within 4 seconds after asking for it. I found it immediately after I had been escorted off the train. It would have been my first day at a new job and it cost me that opportunity. We didnt have all the details at the t8me so I gave the kid a break because #### happens .

I was trying to emphasize because we dont know why he missed his alarms. If it was for something like he took the red eye/ late night ride in thought he could just take a nap etc. I just wasn't trying to be one of those guys to jump at the opportunity to teash a kid right away. The world is filled with enough people who will tear you down at a drop of a pin.

This type of thinking is such a joke though. If a 30 minute delay in your morning makes you 20 minutes late for one of the most important days in your life, you've done something wrong. Any intelligent person understands that sh@&# happens. Any intelligent person also makes sure they plan accordingly so that if it does happens they still are on time.

Chingas
09-20-2015, 08:34 AM
^This is over the top in my opinion.
I can't wait to sign up for one of your perfect time management seminars for non-intelligent people.:rolleyes:

Schultzie
09-20-2015, 08:37 AM
I'd probably sleep in too.

Camronius
09-20-2015, 08:45 AM
^This is over the top in my opinion.
I can't wait to sign up for one of your perfect time management seminars for non-intelligent people.:rolleyes:

Ha. I'm late all the time. Guess whose fault that is? I've never been late for an interview, first day, or anything that I valued really important. Anyone who sides with it being acceptable to be late on the first day of training camp, needs to evaluate who is really at fault here. You can blame circumstance, but it's your fault for not planning ahead.

If there is something serious where you were delayed hours, sure I'm aware there are edge cases. As stated if your 20 minutes late because you were delayed 1/2 hour, I'm sorry but that isn't special time management that requires any sort of course to learn, that's just common sense.

transplant99
09-20-2015, 09:16 AM
Yeah #&it happens....and the reason it happened this time is because of Josh Ho-Sang. He, and only he, is responsible for his waking up on time, making planes on time, being at dinner on time...etc. To suggest otherwise is patently wrong unless circumstances occurred out of his control. That is not the case here in any way, shape, or form.

The kid doesn't get it...at all. He has had this reputation since before he was drafted as a bantam.

The quotes of his coach, his GM and Tavares tells you all you need to know in this case. He is a "me me me" guy who does not have any respect for the concept of team, process, nor anyone/anything else outside his immediate circle.

The worst part is that he seemingly just doesn't care about it either.

It's the old cliché...million dollar tools locked inside a 2 dollar tool box.

dustygoon
09-20-2015, 10:01 AM
I honestly hope he sorts his stuff out just enough to make it to the NHL. I bet there are some teams that think a few years later, he will have matured enough to tolerate his BS in exchange for his talent. And then we can sit back and rubber neck at the silliness. Talking to a stack of cash in Vegas like its a phone will seem so boring.

pgsieve
09-20-2015, 10:18 AM
I didn't like him before not liking him was cool. I said it before and I'll say it again. I hope this has implications in a world junior invite. There are certain people I really don't think deserve to wear our country's jersey and represent us internationally with that kind of attitude

saillias
09-20-2015, 12:12 PM
I wonder if he has narcolepsy

thymebalm
09-20-2015, 12:34 PM
I wonder if he has narcolepsy

Just narcissism, I think.

sureLoss
09-20-2015, 04:23 PM
http://www.newsday.com/sports/hockey/islanders/1.10864784

ST. CATHARINES, Ontario -- Not setting an alarm clock is what came between Joshua Ho-Sang and a chance of making the Islanders' roster, the 19-year-old prospect said after his Ontario League team's 2-1 preseason loss Saturday night.

Ho-Sang, a day after Islanders general manager Garth Snow sent him back down to the OHL for oversleeping the Isles' first day of training camp, was all apologies after returning to the Niagara IceDogs.

Latest Islanders stories
Isles' GM Snow reads riot act to Ho-Sang
Ho-Sang late on first day, Isles ship him out
Isles trade Grabner to Leafs, sign Bernier
Nelson agrees to late deal with Islanders
Isles unveil new Brooklyn themed third jersey
"Obviously a lot more people found out about my mistake than other people's daily ones, but I definitely take ownership," Ho-Sang said with a bag of ice over his slashed knee and drained look on his face. "I don't think there's anyone to blame . . . it's embarrassing."

Ho-Sang said he believed it was fitting for the Isles to cut him from camp after being late and that it was like a punishment for doing badly at any job. The message would be sent more clear to him by cutting him, he said. He hadn't set an alarm the entire week prior to oversleeping for the team shuttle and that he had relied on a front desk call or roommate to wake him up.

"Neither of that happened [Friday]," Ho-Sang said. "At the end of the day, it would have been avoided if I set an alarm . . . I should probably start doing that."

the2bears
09-20-2015, 04:57 PM
Yeah, "probably".

Mango
09-20-2015, 05:56 PM
"I don't think there's anyone to blame . . . it's embarrassing."

Yes, a part of that is true. The other part though...

PugnaciousIntern
09-20-2015, 06:09 PM
That's ridiculous. Not even slept through an alarm. NO alarm. My goodness.

psyang
09-20-2015, 06:44 PM
With the mention of ice on the slashed knee and of being cut, it sounds like Garth hacked at his legs with a machete as punishment.

4X4
09-21-2015, 07:20 PM
How do you not set an alarm? Who doesn't have a cell phone? I can set alarms every 15 minutes for 2 hours if I want to. I can set one every minute. If there is something I need to do the next day, and I think I might oversleep for any reason (hmmm, maybe it's so exciting, that I just wont fall asleep until 3am, or maybe it's so awesome that I might stay up partying until 3am), my phone becomes this incessant MF'er at whatever time I tell it to.

Nobody to blame? Really? Pretty sure there's someone to blame, dude. You. And even mentioning the fact that you relied on the front desk and your roommate the other days shows that you didn't really take it seriously to begin with. That was not helpful in explaining yourself. That just made it worse.

Coach
09-21-2015, 07:50 PM
Lol what a clown.

Jay Random
09-21-2015, 08:11 PM
That was not helpful in explaining yourself. That just made it worse.

It was probably a perfectly true and valid explanation. (If I were making up a lie, I'd do a lot better than that.) The one thing it isn't is an excuse.

I mean, if Ho-Sang wanted to make excuses for himself, I'm sure he could have done something like this:

QZqfxoCYfxw

Coach
09-21-2015, 08:32 PM
He makes excuses in his language.

Usually gets a roommate or front desk call to wake him up - "Neither happened this time."
What? No one is making sure Ho-Sang is getting up in the morning? Don't they know Ho-Sang needs a bro or a wake up call, niether of which he will discuss with either party first?

Hasn't set an alarm all camp - "I should probably start doing that"
Not exactly positive language.

Seems like he entirely expected to be booted out of camp, and doesn't give a ####.

Erick Estrada
09-21-2015, 09:23 PM
Heck with the alarm. I would be so excited for my first day of NHL camp I would have a hard time sleeping at all let alone sleeping in.

Mightyfire89
09-21-2015, 09:29 PM
Immature kid with some serious entitlement issues. Well done Islanders for the way they handled this. Not well done Islanders for picking him in the first place. If I was paying enough attention prior to the draft to know that this kid was a serious risk, then they damn well should have known.

TopChed
09-21-2015, 09:41 PM
So the entire previous week, he hadn't set an alarm and relied on a wake up call or his roommate. Who shows up to camp, and just assumes someone will wake him up? This makes no sense.

Peanut
09-21-2015, 09:54 PM
The entitlement is strong with this one. What an infuriating attitude. And his language is full of excuses and avoiding any blame.

Good riddance.

bigtmac19
09-21-2015, 10:18 PM
I remember him getting sent to the dressing room in the middle of a game in Windsor. Boughner was furious. He was phoning it in during the game and I think had been late to practice or missed his curfew, can't quite remember exactly what preceded. He's had an attitude from day one. I've never liked watching him as a player either, always felt him selfish. I've had a few discussions with other Spits fans who thought he walked on water, couldn't fathom why I didn't think he was so great.

Hackey
09-21-2015, 11:06 PM
Someone call the wahmbulance.

Jay Random
09-22-2015, 02:20 AM
He makes excuses in his language.

You could look at it that way.

The way I look at it, he says what happened (though in a weaselly impersonal way: ‘no alarm was set’ instead of ‘I didn't set the alarm’), but in such a way that he neither accepts nor deflects the blame. It's like he's saying, ‘Yeah, I screwed up, but what's the big deal? I'd make an excuse if I thought it was worth getting worked up about.’

I think my way makes Ho-Sang look even worse. I mean, the one thing worse than making excuses when you foul up is when you don't even see a need for excuses.

Cali Panthers Fan
09-22-2015, 08:48 AM
Jesus...

At what point do you start blaming the parents for failing to teach their child how to set an alarm clock? Did they nudge him awake every morning his entire childhood? How else would someone like that ever get to an early morning practice?

I'm amazed the kid made it this far.

burn_this_city
09-22-2015, 08:52 AM
vt9q-WChfeM

Coach
09-22-2015, 09:18 AM
Jesus...

At what point do you start blaming the parents for failing to teach their child how to set an alarm clock? Did they nudge him awake every morning his entire childhood? How else would someone like that ever get to an early morning practice?

I'm amazed the kid made it this far.

Remember, he's still a young person. And has been on his own since he was 15/16. Talent alone can take a kid a loooong way through Bantam, Midget and Junior levels. The problem is it never works to be just talented in the NHL, and some people learn that the hard way and not before it's too late.

Sainters7
09-22-2015, 02:13 PM
(May have been discussed already) Apparently his junior coach said he really likes his video games. Late night gaming sesh? So basically in his world, NHL 16 > actual NHL.

Posted from Calgarypuck.com App for Android

Coach
09-22-2015, 02:27 PM
You could look at it that way.

The way I look at it, he says what happened (though in a weaselly impersonal way: ‘no alarm was set’ instead of ‘I didn't set the alarm’), but in such a way that he neither accepts nor deflects the blame. It's like he's saying, ‘Yeah, I screwed up, but what's the big deal? I'd make an excuse if I thought it was worth getting worked up about.’

I think my way makes Ho-Sang look even worse. I mean, the one thing worse than making excuses when you foul up is when you don't even see a need for excuses.

Yeah I think we're talking about the same thing, where his tone is just a shrug. Like he expected to be late, expected to be released from camp, and doesn't really care about the outcome.