PDA

View Full Version : Calgary to Host 2015/16 Official NHL Season-Opening Celebration

hockey.modern
09-16-2015, 10:12 PM
2015 Molson Canadian NHL Face-Off set for Oct. 7
http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=779152

The free hockey and music festival will occupy more than 300,000 square feet of Fort Calgary and culminate with a live viewing party featuring the Flames' home opener against the Vancouver Canucks® (8 p.m. MT/10 p.m. ET on Sportsnet, TVA2).

Award-winning host Dave Kelly and Breakfast Television Calgary correspondent Jill Belland will emcee the family-friendly celebration, which begins at 3 p.m. local time at Fort Calgary, rain or shine, with live musical performances; prizes and giveaways; NHL Alumni™ and special guest appearances; merchandise available for purchase; and sponsored hockey activities. The day's festivities will continue into the evening when fans are invited to watch the Flames face the Canucks at Scotiabank Saddledome in a re-match of their 2015 Stanley Cup Playoffs First Round series on giant outdoor video screens at Fort Calgary.

RTZSwmDIv7o

jayswin
09-16-2015, 11:51 PM
That's pretty cool. Hopefully they don't have the same rain or shine policy as X-fest. ;)

H2SO4(aq)
09-16-2015, 11:56 PM
So we just watch on a screen at the Fort? Works for me

Southside
09-17-2015, 07:39 AM
So if a guy is going to the game this could be a good primer. How is the walk from Fort Calgary to the Saddledome? Or, might there be shuttles to take ticket holders to the Saddledome for the game? It will be interesting to see announcements of all performers and attractions. Lets hope for nice weather and a good crowd.

shotinthebacklund
09-17-2015, 07:46 AM
So if a guy is going to the game this could be a good primer. How is the walk from Fort Calgary to the Saddledome? Or, might there be shuttles to take ticket holders to the Saddledome for the game? It will be interesting to see announcements of all performers and attractions. Lets hope for nice weather and a good crowd.

All of maybe a 5 Min Walk. 2 Blocks.

Resolute 14
09-17-2015, 07:49 AM
lol, it is quite a bit more than two blocks, man.

It is really just a 15-20 minute walk though.

LIP MAN
09-17-2015, 07:52 AM
lol, it is quite a bit more than two blocks, man.

It is really just a 15-20 minute walk though.

Used to live in Ramsay. About 12-15 minutes once you head down the path.

icarus
09-17-2015, 07:59 AM
I remember when the NHL season opening celebrations used to be in places like Prague, Helsinki and Stockholm. Fort Calgary could be fun but I won't be able to attend sadly. Waiting for the day NHL returns to play a game in London.

getbak
09-17-2015, 08:27 AM
All of maybe a 5 Min Walk. 2 Blocks.

Two blocks from the Saddledome won't even get you out of Stampede Park.

The corner of 9th Ave and 6th St is a little over one kilometre from the Saddledome, so it would take 15-20 minutes, depending on how fast you walk.

mikephoen
09-17-2015, 08:52 AM
If you take the elbow river pathway that goes right to the Dome it shouldn't take more than 10 minutes. Much shorter than the way Google maps shows, and even that is shown as 18 minutes.

DJ_NAV
10-06-2015, 10:26 PM
There's also a party now inside at 6pm on the west concourse as well.

Gundo
10-07-2015, 01:18 AM
Been watching them set up all week. Looks like a good time.

JD
10-07-2015, 02:23 AM
We used to park at the Deane House for games, and we had it down to a 14 minute walk. The area where the concert is held might be a bit further west from the Elbow River than the Deane House is east, so I'd say 15 to 20 minutes away for a brisk walker.

Madrox
10-07-2015, 03:52 AM
http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=781278&cmpid=nhl-twt

Fitz and the Tantrums and Reuben and the Dark will be playing, I might go just for that.

UKflames
10-07-2015, 05:38 AM
I remember when the NHL season opening celebrations used to be in places like Prague, Helsinki and Stockholm. Fort Calgary could be fun but I won't be able to attend sadly. Waiting for the day NHL returns to play a game in London.

The NHL hasn't played a game in the UK for what 4 or 5 years now?? Well overdue in my opinion, look at the NFL they have 4 games over here this year. (sorry for going off topic)

RM14
10-07-2015, 09:43 AM
http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/10/07/2e5a722005deacf86d896322ebb21682.jpg

badger89
10-07-2015, 11:50 AM
http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/10/07/2e5a722005deacf86d896322ebb21682.jpg
Looking good! Why don't they build a permanent stage there already? Seems like that area's in a constant state of stage building or breakdown.

foshizzle11
10-07-2015, 01:39 PM
I think I am going to head down with the kids, it is free and something they would probably enjoy. Should be fun!

Bill Bumface
10-08-2015, 09:14 AM
I was out of town for a couple weeks prior, but was it me, or was this very under the radar?

Unfortunately the turnout was really poor. They were giving away boxes full of chocolate bars and chips on the way out because they expected 25,000 people and got a fraction of that.

The setup was actually really, really good. Just dead.

It seems a city excited about the Flames on a night with absolutely perfect weather and a good band playing should have had no problems turning out for something that was completely free unless no one knew about it?

troutman
10-08-2015, 09:27 AM
They need much bigger musical acts to draw 25,000.

Also, I heard nothing about this event until yesterday.

mac_82
10-08-2015, 09:29 AM
I was there 6-8pm. The place was dead, which was really unfortunate. But it seems like no one knew about it. There was 0 marketing and promo done for the event. I would say there were a few thousand people there. And there was a lot of $$$ spent by sponsors on set up and activation. There were great tents, get your own Upper Deck hockey card, free Tim Hortons, food trucks, Scotiabank scarves, autograph booths, beer gardens...and no line ups for anything.

Otto-matic
10-08-2015, 09:33 AM
Yeah we stayed until the end and it was a ghost town after the 2nd intermission. Beer gardens was pretty dead.

It was unfortunate because the event was actually really fun to attend, Fitz and the other bands rocked. Beer was a bit pricey but that's expected.

Joborule
10-08-2015, 09:33 AM
I would say not much people knew about it. I'm surprised by the lack of marketing for it.

TurdFerguson
10-08-2015, 09:42 AM
The only reason I knew about it was because I drove by while they were setting up. terrible marketing, IMO.

nieuwy-89
10-08-2015, 10:00 AM
I was there 6-8pm. The place was dead, which was really unfortunate.

That is really too bad. I keep hoping for Calgary to land a major NHL event like the draft or an all-star game. Poor turnout for a fun event like this will not bode well for Calgary hosting special events in the future.

BigT112
10-08-2015, 10:01 AM
That is really too bad. I keep hoping for Calgary to land a major NHL event like the draft or an all-star game. Poor turnout for a fun event like this will not bode well for Calgary hosting special events in the future.

I think the failure was in marketing. I heard nothing of this event until yesterday morning when they plugged it on the Fan. Someone at the NHL dropped the ball in getting the word out I think. I really don't think there would be a problem with attendance for an All Star Game or Draft. Unfortunately, the Saddledome is holding back such events. Won't come to Calgary until a new building is built.

Sainters7
10-08-2015, 10:17 AM
Wow crazy to hear, I just assumed it'd be packed. Actually I had kinda wished I had gone, but after seeing the one reporter live on location, judging by looking at the people hanging around her and in the background, it looked like it was predominantly 20 year olds there. Which made me relieved I didn't go.

Superflyer
10-08-2015, 10:23 AM
I heard about this for the first time about 2 weeks ago on breakfast television when they first announced it. So with only 2 weeks to get word out is not much.
Also I think the issue was where it was located and the fact that it was in the middle of the week. It worked well for people wanting to go to the game but by the time people get off work, go home, change, pick up the family then head back downtown they may have just said Ah screw it.

heep223
10-08-2015, 10:24 AM
Wow crazy to hear, I just assumed it'd be packed. Actually I had kinda wished I had gone, but after seeing the one reporter live on location, judging by looking at the people hanging around her and in the background, it looked like it was predominantly 20 year olds there. Which made me relieved I didn't go.

Damn no good youths, going out in the community to be part of an event for their favourite local sports team :fist:

:rolleyes:

Bill Bumface
10-08-2015, 10:40 AM

The area was huge. There were tons of families down there, just likely not hanging out in the beer gardens or right in front of the stage where they'd need to put a camera to show a decent crowd.

calgaryrocks
10-08-2015, 10:57 AM
yea, I would agree a lack of marketing was the biggest thing. All I heard was that there would be a kickoff party....but no explanation of what there would be etc. I think if I had kids I would have made the effort, but would have left before gametime. 8pm game in middle of week means I want to be home to watch it and not be out at 10:30 trying to get home. Plus it is sorta brutal to park there (I know, no excuse, take the train, beautiful night etc).
Actually, I had other things that needed to be done at home sadly.

Nammer403
10-08-2015, 10:58 AM
8pm game in middle of week means I want to be home to watch it and not be out at 10:30 trying to get home. Plus it is sorta brutal to park there (I know, no excuse, take the train, beautiful night etc).
Actually, I had other things that needed to be done at home sadly.

Agreed, if this was on a Saturday I wouldve went

JBR
10-08-2015, 12:21 PM
Too much distance between the party and the Dome. Speaks to the need for an arena district.

Sainters7
10-08-2015, 09:05 PM
Damn no good youths, going out in the community to be part of an event for their favourite local sports team :fist: :rolleyes:

It was more the I would've felt like a narc thing

hockey.modern
10-08-2015, 09:08 PM
Doesn't help that the Saddledome was hosting it's own pre-game party as well.

Freeway
10-08-2015, 09:31 PM
Wednesday night game and the NHL really dropped the ball on promoting it.

btimbit
10-09-2015, 09:28 AM
I would have went if I had known about it