PDA

View Full Version : [News] Slava Voynov will leave Kings and return to Russia

Nehkara
09-16-2015, 05:58 PM
Voynov planning to return to Russia (http://www.tsn.ca/voynov-planning-to-return-to-russia-1.361724)

“Earlier today, I notified the National Hockey League, the National Hockey League Players’ Association and the Los Angeles Kings of my decision to immediately begin the formal process of returning to Russia with my family. I sincerely apologize to those in and around the game of hockey, who have been affected by my situation, and I also wish the Players of the LA Kings success in the future," the statement read.

The Kings released a statement later on Wednesday, stating the team had already decided Voynov would not play again for the club and the team had placed an in-house deadline of September 17 to terminate his contract. However, the defenceman's decision to return to Russia, "makes the termination unnecessary."

mile
09-16-2015, 05:59 PM
Good.

ThatsRobbery
09-16-2015, 06:13 PM
Good riddance

Party Elephant
09-16-2015, 06:25 PM
Does anyone else think that statement from the kings is a lame attempt at taking the moral high ground? I'm sure they're relieved that the decision was made for them so they didn't have to deal with a potential double standard set by the Richards debacle.

Phanuthier
09-16-2015, 06:36 PM
Does anyone else think that statement from the kings is a lame attempt at taking the moral high ground? I'm sure they're relieved that the decision was made for them so they didn't have to deal with a potential double standard set by the Richards debacle.
What should they have done otherwise?

Or do people want to continue to cry about Mike Richards?

mikephoen
09-16-2015, 06:38 PM
What should they have done otherwise?

Or do people want to continue to cry about Mike Richards?

They could have made this statement any time in the last 12 months since this incident first happened. Convenient that they make it the day after Voynov says he's leaving. And the unannounced deadline was tomorrow. What a coincidence!

Phanuthier
09-16-2015, 06:42 PM
They could have made this statement any time in the last 12 months since this incident first happened. Convenient that they make it the day after Voynov says he's leaving. And the unannounced deadline was tomorrow. What a coincidence!
So they should have said "well we plan on terminating Voynov's contract as well, but we don't want to deal with all the legal crap around it and know US immigration will deal with it. so we are just going to tell everyone out there about our intentions, then when Voynov is out of jail, we'll see if immigration will deport him. are you all happy now?"

Alberta_Beef
09-16-2015, 06:47 PM
Does anyone else think that statement from the kings is a lame attempt at taking the moral high ground? I'm sure they're relieved that the decision was made for them so they didn't have to deal with a potential double standard set by the Richards debacle.Nope. It's likely the truth, if he was deported they would terminate his contract for the cap relief, since he is leaving on his own they can suspend him and get the same cap relief and retain his rights to bring him back or trade him in the future should he be able to get another visa down the road.

It was the same with Richards, it was about cap relief not morals.

Phanuthier
09-16-2015, 06:50 PM
do they manage to avoid the cap recapture penalty by doing this?

Alberta_Beef
09-16-2015, 06:54 PM
do they manage to avoid the cap recapture penalty by doing this?I think cap recapture penalties are only on those obscenely long deals signed under the last CBA and Slava signed under the current CBA

codynw
09-16-2015, 06:59 PM
do they manage to avoid the cap recapture penalty by doing this?

There are no recapture penalties on this contract.

Phanuthier
09-16-2015, 06:59 PM
Thanks. I guess at least they saved on any potential legal costs and headaches with going through terminating his contract. Also get to hold on to his rights and fend off anyone else getting him for free. Smart move all around.

PeteMoss
09-16-2015, 07:19 PM
Nope. It's likely the truth, if he was deported they would terminate his contract for the cap relief, since he is leaving on his own they can suspend him and get the same cap relief and retain his rights to bring him back or trade him in the future should he be able to get another visa down the road.

It was the same with Richards, it was about cap relief not morals.

If they really meant what they were saying - wouldn't they terminate his deal anyway? By not doing it - they probably retain his rights if he comes back.

Its just typically Kings nonsense. Hey - we're changing and good guys now - but we still want to retain this guy's rights in case he's allowed back in the country in a few years.

Hatter
09-16-2015, 07:36 PM
Don't let the door hit you, Slava. Loser.

FireGilbert
09-16-2015, 07:40 PM
Posts #2,3 and 4 are spot on. Possibly the three best consecutive posts in CP history.

Point Blank
09-16-2015, 07:46 PM
http://firstandmonday.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/02/grumpy-cat.jpeg

Alberta_Beef
09-16-2015, 07:55 PM
If they really meant what they were saying - wouldn't they terminate his deal anyway? By not doing it - they probably retain his rights if he comes back.

Its just typically Kings nonsense. Hey - we're changing and good guys now - but we still want to retain this guy's rights in case he's allowed back in the country in a few years.it's not typical Kings nonsense. It's called PR, you'd get that response form any professional sports team. Suggesting it's just the Kings is awfully disingenuous.

PeteMoss
09-16-2015, 08:16 PM
I agree its PR... but its PR that's easily seen through.

Alberta_Beef
09-16-2015, 08:24 PM
I agree its PR... but its PR that's easily seen through.Like 95% of PR isn't easily seen through.

calgaryblood
09-16-2015, 08:24 PM
Have to laugh out loud at the Kings attempt to spin the situation. They should have came out a long time ago and said that. But instead use the "you can't quit, you're fired" line.

I have zero doubt they would have welcomed him back.

Beatle17
09-16-2015, 08:52 PM
The Kings aren't spinning this. Voynov was suspended by the league, the Kings had no option until he applied for reinstatement. He never applied so the Kings couldn't suspend/cut him if they tried. Voynov realized he was going to be deported by the government so never even applied thru the NHLPA for reinstatement and seems to have accepted his fate and is going home.

CaptainCrunch
09-16-2015, 09:50 PM
http://cdn.meme.am/instances/250x250/62546268.jpg

Fighting Banana Slug
09-16-2015, 09:55 PM
I don't think you can fault the Kings too much on this. If they fought to keep him around, that would be different. I do think they can be criticized for the Richards situation and I think eventually that will turn against them. Either way, I hope this is the beginning of the end...

Oling_Roachinen
09-17-2015, 12:10 AM
The Kings aren't spinning this. Voynov was suspended by the league, the Kings had no option until he applied for reinstatement. He never applied so the Kings couldn't suspend/cut him if they tried. Voynov realized he was going to be deported by the government so never even applied thru the NHLPA for reinstatement and seems to have accepted his fate and is going home.

Bull####. They had ample opportunity to make their "position" known over the last couple months. They didn't.

If it was actually the Kings stance to severe ties with Voynov they could have made it known months ago. They may not have been able to go into detail, they could have let media speculation on whether - when the time came - it would be a trade, waivers, sitting him out and buying out the contract at the end of the season, terminating the contract, whatever, but the Kings could have made it known that he played his last game as a member of the Kings. If anything they did the exact opposite after they were fined for having Voynov participate in practice.

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/slava-voynov-los-angeles-kings-practice-update/
Lombardi initially refused comment to Kings reporters, but the L.A. Times' Lisa Dillman reported that there was no change in Voynov's status and that Lombardi believed it would be beneficial for Voynov to be around his teammates.
Now this was before he made his no-contest plea, but it very clearly indicates that Lombardi thought of Voynov as part of the team and have every intention of having him play if possible.

Instead they took the most politically correct route of pretty much repeating that domestic violence is bad and they don't like it. They never made any indication that Voynov was no longer welcomed as a member of the Kings...well until it was already established that he would not be returning. Coincidentally the day before they were going to terminate his contract (which is weird because he was still suspended by the league....):rolleyes:

Resolute 14
09-17-2015, 07:29 AM
Thanks. I guess at least they saved on any potential legal costs and headaches with going through terminating his contract. Also get to hold on to his rights and fend off anyone else getting him for free. Smart move all around.

A guy choosing to self deport himself is a pretty easy argument for a material breach of contract. Not even the union would challenge that one.

As it is, I'm sure he will just sign his retirement papers, much like how Kovalchuk did, and the Kings walk away without any additional costs.

CroFlames
09-17-2015, 09:06 AM
I suppose that means that deportation by authorities was imminent? Why else would he decide on his own to leave.

sureLoss
09-17-2015, 09:46 AM
I suppose that means that deportation by authorities was imminent? Why else would he decide on his own to leave.

To avoid being tied up in the US Court system for the next few months.

By voluntary leaving he will be released in a few weeks. A lot of people are reporting he is likely to re-apply for a work visa soon (whether he gets one is still very much up in the air). Also gives him the option of getting paid playing hockey in Europe while his immigration status gets worked out, he is currently suspended without pay.

sharkov
09-25-2015, 11:48 PM
I wonder if Sarah palin can now see Slava voynov from her back yard

devo22
10-02-2015, 04:09 PM
Igor Eronko ‏@IgorEronko (https://twitter.com/IgorEronko)[/URL]
Slava Voynov set to sign with [URL="https://twitter.com/hashtag/SKA?src=hash"]#SKA (https://twitter.com/IgorEronko/status/650064656741068800) of the #KHL (https://twitter.com/hashtag/KHL?src=hash) #LAKings (https://twitter.com/hashtag/LAKings?src=hash)