PDA

View Full Version : [News] Brian Burke on Analytics and more - SN Article

Komskies
09-15-2015, 12:51 PM
http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/brian-burke-calgary-flames-president-hockey-analytics-chris-snow-eyeball-character-truculence-curtis-glencross/

“I’m not a big analytics guy. I think analytics are useful and important, but in our organization they’re the third tool we use to evaluate players,” Burke told Boomer & Rhett during a radio interview conducted at the Flames’ season kickoff golf tournament.

1. Eyeballs
2. Character assessment
3. Analytics

It isn't anything we haven't seen before, but any news is good news this close to the season starting.

GranteedEV
09-15-2015, 12:56 PM
On Mark Giordano: "I've had some really big-name captains: Niedermayer, Pronger, Messier. And I'd put Giordano up against any of those guys."

Where's the drool emoticon when you need it?

Bingo
09-15-2015, 01:01 PM
the only real slight on analytics in the whole thing is that he ranks it third behind eyeballs and character.

To be honest the ranking is irrelevant to me as long as none of those three are ignored.

The other thing is Treliving. Sure get the feeling that he's very different than Burke, both men know it, and Burke is fine with it.

I guess it could be a good thing to have a traditionalist and a more modern progressive look within the confines of the Flame's boardroom.

undercoverbrother
09-15-2015, 01:04 PM
the only real slight on analytics in the whole thing is that he ranks it third behind eyeballs and character.

To be honest the ranking is irrelevant to me as long as none of those three are ignored.

The other thing is Treliving. Sure get the feeling that he's very different than Burke, both men know it, and Burke is fine with it.

I guess it could be a good thing to have a traditionalist and a more modern progressive look within the confines of the Flame's boardroom.

It is always good to have different ways of looking at the same "problem". While different, I really get the feeling that there is a very strong mutual respect/trust which goes both ways.

PugnaciousIntern
09-15-2015, 01:40 PM
"On the scads of free agents signing PTOs: “You become a cap casualty because you're too expensive, and some of those guys are going to take major pay cuts if they want to play. And I don't like that part of it. I don’t like the fact that Curtis Glencross has to go to camp on a tryout. I wish there was a way around it"

Nice quote, interesting perspective.

Cleveland Steam Whistle
09-15-2015, 01:42 PM
It is always good to have different ways of looking at the same "problem". While different, I really get the feeling that there is a very strong mutual respect/trust which goes both ways.
Agreed. Very apparent that Burke did not go out and hire a clone of himself, he did the smart thing and hired someone who has different skills than he does, that he thinks he could work with and respects. Rounding out the talent at the leadership level, which is exactly what Burke should have been looking for when hiring his GM. After all, they are going to be working as a team so they need to share some values, but they need to bring different things to the table otherwise it's just a wasted salary.

FBI
09-15-2015, 01:43 PM
We don't flaunt it like "some other team" ie Oilers.. love the jabs at the oilers..

burnitdown
09-15-2015, 03:08 PM
We don't flaunt it like "some other team" ie Oilers.. love the jabs at the oilers..

...right after he trumpets how he has the best analytics guy in the league. Haha

Bandwagon In Flames
09-15-2015, 03:12 PM
CP comes second to Burke in terms of trash talking the Oilers organization. We just can't compete with such magnificence.

Oil Stain
09-15-2015, 05:17 PM
...right after he trumpets how he has the best analytics guy in the league. Haha

He sure does like to hear himself talk. :w00t:

JiriHrdina
09-15-2015, 06:17 PM
I think Burke is trolling the analytics community. I think he does place importance on it - but loves to rile the stats guys up.
Rabble rabble!

DeluxeMoustache
09-16-2015, 01:39 AM
I think Burke is trolling the analytics community. I think he does place importance on it - but loves to rile the stats guys up.
Rabble rabble!

Yes. Deflect attention, the guy is sharp

Loved the quote about not golfing as he knows how to swear.

Huge laughs, Hank