PDA

View Full Version : Indian National *ICE* Hockey Team to play ECHL team in October

Puppet Guy
09-15-2015, 12:32 PM
This looked too interesting not to share:

The hockey players practice on the natural ice they can find, such as ponds and lakes. Only they aren't skating in some small town in Canada or Minnesota; they're two miles above sea level in the Ladakh region of India.
In about a month, these players from the National Ice Hockey Team of India will take on the ECHL’s Brampton Beast, the first time the ECHL team will face off against a national squad of any country.

For the National Ice Hockey Team of India, it’s a chance to take on maybe its greatest challenge as a team – in possibly the nicest conditions it has ever played. For Brampton – an affiliate of the Montreal Canadiens – it’s an opportunity to appeal to a large local population with Indian heritage.
Beyond the obvious novelty of a hockey team from India playing North American professionals, the Indian team will add several players of Indian descent from the Brampton area for the exhibition.

I imagine that the game itself won't be a classic, but the uniqueness of it would be worth the price of admission.

full article:

https://ca.sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nhl-puck-daddy/team-india-hopes-game-against-brampton-beast-has-international-impact-052855567.html

announcement from the Brampton Beast:

http://www.bramptonbeast.com/news/?article_id=449

Coach
09-15-2015, 12:40 PM
Interesting. Reading the title, I originally thought this was a First Nations team that would actually be a part of the ECHL and I thought "hey, that's kind of neat."

I think this is neat as well. Always cool to see hockey expanding.

BurningSteel
09-15-2015, 12:53 PM
Interesting. Reading the title, I originally thought this was a First Nations team that would actually be a part of the ECHL and I thought "hey, that's kind of neat."

I think this is neat as well. Always cool to see hockey expanding.

Thats what I was thinking too but then I firured they would take offence at the team name.

Locke
09-15-2015, 12:56 PM
Very cool.

btimbit
09-15-2015, 01:01 PM
Neat

Huntingwhale
09-15-2015, 01:04 PM
Neato

Bandwagon In Flames
09-15-2015, 01:05 PM
Always great to see hockey getting more popular in other countries.

Reminds me of this video "Hockey in Kenya" which I found quite touching.

vUR9EnymXuw

Coach
09-15-2015, 01:26 PM
Thats what I was thinking too but then I firured they would take offence at the team name.

Yeah, but a lot of people still use Indian to describe Native People. Even moreso in the States. Sometimes I even hear it used in a casual sense on TV shows. I find it weird when that happens.

GioforPM
09-15-2015, 01:50 PM
Yeah, but a lot of people still use Indian to describe Native People. Even moreso in the States. Sometimes I even hear it used in a casual sense on TV shows. I find it weird when that happens.

Indian is still a recognized term in the US. It's still the "Bureau of Indian Affairs".

I use "First Nations" but a whole lot of First Nations folks I know (I live right near the reserve) say Indian.

RyZ
09-15-2015, 02:03 PM
I saw something on this a few months ago when they were looking for funding to go play in the div 4 or 5 IIHF WCs (doesn't look like they got it). They showed some video of them practicing and they aren't anywhere near the level of the ECHL so this will be an exhibition in the truest sense of the word, but good for them. Would be cool to see some emerging countries make a push up the IIHF rankings (India is not currently ranked in the top 50) and maybe even become relevant hockey nations one day.

Coach
09-15-2015, 02:04 PM
Indian is still a recognized term in the US. It's still the "Bureau of Indian Affairs".

I use "First Nations" but a whole lot of First Nations folks I know (I live right near the reserve) say Indian.

I know, I just think it's weird. Firstly, you'd think the government, of all groups, would want to have a more politically correct title. And I find it odd that Native people refer to themselves as Indian, seeing as their not and never have been Indians. Not my place to say, obviously, I just find it strange.

Anyways, this is pretty OT. I think it's cool these Indian people are coming to play, hopefully they can have a decent showing. I would guess they're from the more northern, mountainous parts of India.

FlamesAddiction
09-15-2015, 02:06 PM
Neato

Like a giraffe in a speedo.

lazypucker
09-15-2015, 03:05 PM
I would rather see this team in the Hockey World Cup next year than the North America U-23 squad. At least this is a national team challenging for the World Cup!

CaptainCrunch
09-15-2015, 03:53 PM
Will Russell Crowe be coaching them?

undercoverbrother
09-15-2015, 03:55 PM
I would rather see this team in the Hockey World Cup next year than the North America U-23 squad. At least this is a national team challenging for the World Cup!

I get your sentiment, but they would be obliterated.

CubicleGeek
09-15-2015, 03:59 PM
They really should have to play the Oilers before they can play the better teams.

Cool stuff though.

Puppet Guy
09-15-2015, 04:04 PM
I saw something on this a few months ago when they were looking for funding to go play in the div 4 or 5 IIHF WCs (doesn't look like they got it). They showed some video of them practicing and they aren't anywhere near the level of the ECHL so this will be an exhibition in the truest sense of the word, but good for them. Would be cool to see some emerging countries make a push up the IIHF rankings (India is not currently ranked in the top 50) and maybe even become relevant hockey nations one day.

Anyways, this is pretty OT. I think it's cool these Indian people are coming to play, hopefully they can have a decent showing. I would guess they're from the more northern, mountainous parts of India.

I haven't seen any video of the Indian team, but I imagine this'll be a pretty lopsided affair. In the original article it says that the Brampton Beast will host a tryout for some Indian-Canadians to help level out the quality of the game, but yeah, it won't be a close contest.

I kind of wish that I could see this game in person - I love the idea of developing hockey-nations getting an up-close look at the game in Canada. Having a tournament of five or six non-traditional hockey nations would be a fun thing.

Magnum PEI
09-15-2015, 04:26 PM
Simla (summer capital during the British Raj) has a natural outdoor rink. Though it sounds like climate change has reduced the number of operational days.

http://www.fullstopindia.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/02/Shimla-Ice-Skating-Club-Rink.jpg

FireGilbert
09-30-2015, 05:43 PM
Bumped for announcement of gorgeous Team India jerseys. Loving the orange pants!

http://www.thehockeynews.com/blog/team-india-unveils-jerseys-for-historic-game-against-echl-team/

Komskies
09-30-2015, 07:47 PM
Oilers colors. Lame jerseys.

FireGilbert
09-30-2015, 08:20 PM

Since when do the Oiler jerseys include green or an intimidating logo? Please do not associate these things of beauty with Edmonton stank.

BACKCHECK!!!
09-30-2015, 08:25 PM
The away jerseys are pretty slick though.

nickerjones
09-30-2015, 08:54 PM

:confused: does it change your mind knowing that a group of CP'ers created these jerseys for Team India?

FBI
09-30-2015, 11:44 PM
If so, that's awesome. Which cp'ers? Split98?

nickerjones
10-01-2015, 12:08 AM

If so, that's awesome. Which cp'ers? Split98?

...or myself and the company I'm with. :bag: A lil whisper of inside info... Looks they will be be making their way to play in Calgary as well. :whistle:

FBI
10-01-2015, 08:29 AM
Nice.. If you have jersey influence, can you use some of your magic powers to push the retro stuff for the Flames?

Stealth22
10-01-2015, 09:41 AM
...or myself and the company I'm with. :bag: A lil whisper of inside info... Looks they will be be making their way to play in Calgary as well. :whistle:

Really?! When? I might want to go and watch.

Would have been awesome if they were based on the Indian cricket jerseys. That blue would look really nice.

http://static.sportskeeda.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/03/nike-team-india-jersey-2-2141541.jpg

Komskies
10-01-2015, 09:53 AM
:confused: does it change your mind knowing that a group of CP'ers created these jerseys for Team India?

Sorry, I'm not usually one to make ####posts like that. I actually do really like the road whites, and the tiger logo and font used for India is really nice looking.

CMPunk
10-01-2015, 10:01 AM
Sorry, I'm not usually one to make ####posts like that. I actually do really like the road whites, and the tiger logo and font used for India is really nice looking.

http://i231.photobucket.com/albums/ee24/MaxVest/backpedal.jpg

Puppet Guy
10-01-2015, 10:08 AM

Nice.. If you have jersey influence, can you use some of your magic powers to push the retro stuff for the Flames?

...or arrange for one of those jerseys to "fall off the truck" for me?

nickerjones
10-01-2015, 11:55 AM

If I had any influence over that at all those would be an every other home game thing.

Really?! When? I might want to go and watch.

Would have been awesome if they were based on the Indian cricket jerseys. That blue would look really nice.

We don't have the concrete date yet but will let you guys know when I do. We worked within the constraints that the team gave us. I think they still turned out awesome!

...or arrange for one of those jerseys to "fall off the truck" for me?
I wish I could.. They will be selling them to help fundraise for Hockey India.

undercoverbrother
10-01-2015, 12:16 PM
We don't have the concrete date yet but will let you guys know when I do. We worked within the constraints that the team gave us. I think they still turned out awesome!

Who are they playing in Calgary?

firebug
10-01-2015, 12:21 PM
Who are they playing in Calgary?

Hopefully a team called the cowboys...

undercoverbrother
10-01-2015, 12:23 PM
Hopefully a team called the cowboys...

low hanging fruit

Bring_Back_Shantz
10-01-2015, 12:51 PM
If I had any influence over that at all those would be an every other home game thing.

I wish I could.. They will be selling them to help fundraise for Hockey India.

If you're involved in that let us know.
I'd love to buy one of those!

nickerjones
10-01-2015, 10:21 PM
Well they are ready to start selling their jerseys as a fundraiser for the team.

http://www.otbathletic.com/collections/jerseys/products/team-india-jersey

Also it sounds like they will make their YYC game announcement possibly tomorrow.

nickerjones
10-07-2015, 10:12 PM
The Indian National Team is scrimmaging the Calgary Inferno in a couple weeks at Winsport.

http://www.eventbrite.ca/e/team-india-vs-calgary-inferno-tickets-18978942528

You can also get one of their jerseys here:
http://www.otbathletic.com/collections/jerseys

All proceeds from the sales of these jerseys will go to the Ice Hockey Association of India.

Gaudfather
10-07-2015, 10:14 PM
Million dollar slapshot?