PDA

View Full Version : NHL - Adidas announce deal

GioforPM
09-15-2015, 12:03 PM
http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=779108

jayswin
09-15-2015, 12:07 PM
Maybe I'm high, but didn't we already have this thread recently?

devo22
09-15-2015, 12:08 PM
well we all knew it was going to happen, but apparently it was announced officially today.

FlameOn
09-15-2015, 12:11 PM
So when can we expect the advertisements all over our precious jerseys?

Locke
09-15-2015, 12:15 PM

I think today was the NHL's official announcement.

Demaeon
09-15-2015, 12:23 PM

If you're not sure, you're probably high.

hockey.modern
09-15-2015, 12:34 PM
Yeah we have a thread on this already

http://forum.calgarypuck.com/showthread.php?t=148622

undercoverbrother
09-15-2015, 12:44 PM
So when can we expect the advertisements all over our precious jerseys?

Z0GFRcFm-aY

Joborule
09-15-2015, 12:47 PM
adidas Group-owned CCM will remain an official on-ice equipment supplier, delivering world-class product for NHL players, including sticks, skates, helmets, gloves and goaltending gear.

In addition to merchandising rights, the partnership will bring adidas' high performance training footwear and apparel to the locker room for every NHL team.
I take it that CCM will continue to be the brand for the equipment, and adidas won't invest it's brand into that.

Serapth
09-15-2015, 01:53 PM
I take it that CCM will continue to be the brand for the equipment, and adidas won't invest it's brand into that.

Nope.

They are pushing the Adidas brand because frankly it lost the NBA and NFL deals recently. Frankly CCM brand doesn't make a lot of sense because it's too niche. In it's own field its popular enough to not need the promotion, while outside of it's own niche, there isn't a lot of growth opportunity. I mean, outside of hockey, CCM is non-existent. The same obviously can't be said for Adidas.

Serapth
09-15-2015, 02:17 PM
They should start with Ref's.... seems logical.

http://i.imgur.com/eQoWZOp.jpg

getbak
09-15-2015, 04:51 PM
Yeah, if you watch the new McDavid Adidas commercial, he's wearing Adidas gear while working out, but he's in CCM head-to-toe when he's on the ice. If they were going to put the Adidas name on hockey gear, this would be the time to do it.

I assume it will be similar to what they do with golf. They use the TaylorMade brand for clubs, bags, and balls; but shoes and apparel have the Adidas brand.

LIP MAN
09-15-2015, 04:55 PM
Yeah, if you watch the new McDavid Adidas commercial, he's wearing Adidas gear while working out, but he's in CCM head-to-toe when he's on the ice. If they were going to put the Adidas name on hockey gear, this would be the time to do it.

I assume it will be similar to what they do with golf. They use the TaylorMade brand for clubs, bags, and balls; but shoes and apparel have the Adidas brand.

Precisely. Companies pay big money for that established branding, I'm actually excited to see what they do

Split98
09-15-2015, 04:57 PM
Nope.

They are pushing the Adidas brand because frankly it lost the NBA and NFL deals recently. Frankly CCM brand doesn't make a lot of sense because it's too niche. In it's own field its popular enough to not need the promotion, while outside of it's own niche, there isn't a lot of growth opportunity. I mean, outside of hockey, CCM is non-existent. The same obviously can't be said for Adidas.

CCM is a strong brand in the NHL though where Adidas is not. There is more to lose in devaluing CCM than there is to gain from Adidas moving into hockey.

It would be downright silly of them to introduce a competing brand instead of dominating the market.

Split98
09-15-2015, 05:02 PM
Not sure if this was quoted in the other thread, but Bettman on jersey ads

“We certainly won’t be the first [league]," Bettman went on, echoing his stance on the subject from January. "And you’d have to drag me kicking and screaming.” Meaning it would take a lot, a lot of money.

Which is very good news.