PDA

View Full Version : [Signing] Flames Sign Rasmus Andersson to ELC

hockey.modern
09-14-2015, 04:32 PM
http://flames.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=779029

@Fan960Steinberg : After a great showing in Penticton, the #Flames have signed 2015 second round pick Rasmus Andersson to his entry level contract.

@AAVickers: #Flames announce signing of Rasmus Andersson to an entry level contract. A standout at the #YoungStars15

@SUNRandySportak: And during O Canada, #Flames announce the signing of 2015 2nd round pick Rasmus Andersson to a contract.

hockey.modern
09-14-2015, 04:49 PM
AXNhvYQh0YE

JurassicTunga12
09-14-2015, 04:50 PM
Nice. He has looked great in the prospect tournament.

btimbit
09-14-2015, 05:44 PM
Awesome

nightfx
09-14-2015, 05:57 PM
He's showing why he was picked before kylington, both look great so far though.

BurningSteel
09-14-2015, 06:00 PM
Wunderbar!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

GreenLantern
09-14-2015, 06:19 PM
Does this mean he will attend camp? Or is this standard for junior players?

Poe969
09-14-2015, 06:25 PM
He really had to fight for his contract.

Kid looks great, another great move by BT.

Vinny01
09-14-2015, 06:41 PM
Love what I have been reading about this kid and was impressed with his play on Saturday. I feel like the Flames nailed it with this draft in terms of Dmen

Benched
09-14-2015, 06:48 PM
Looks competent. This is exciting :)

Chingas
09-14-2015, 06:59 PM
This kid looked great on the ice, but what really impresses me the most is his humble attitiude in the press interview.

Edit: not sure how to succesfully embed a flames site video. Link below.

http://video.flames.nhl.com/videocenter/console?id=834209&catid=11

Cali Panthers Fan
09-14-2015, 07:11 PM
Between Andersson and Kylington, the Flames managed to get 2 1st round pick calibre players late in the 2nd round. That's what good scouting will do for you. May you never learn this lesson Edmonton Oilers.

dammage79
09-14-2015, 08:33 PM
Pumped. Andersson was a player I chose to keep track of from the release of the 2015 who to watch list from the NHL back at the end of the 2014 draft.

After his showing here and his success in Barrie, cannot believe the Flames nabbed Andersson and Kylington in the same range. STEAL

Reggie Dunlop
09-14-2015, 09:47 PM
Projects to be a good, solid depth player with a smart enough game to move upwards.

Flames seem to be getting better with selecting second rounders as of late, which is an encouraging trend from years past.

getbak
09-14-2015, 09:52 PM
Just having second rounders is an encouraging trend from years past.

Pliddy
09-14-2015, 09:53 PM
Projects to be a good, solid depth player with a smart enough game to move upwards.

Flames seem to be getting better with selecting second rounders as of late, which is an encouraging trend from years past.

Mayby it's because we are actually using our second round picks, Sutter handed them out like coupons at Costco

combustiblefuel
09-14-2015, 09:54 PM
Wunderbar!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Don't you just mean underbar;):whistle:

CroFlames
09-14-2015, 11:06 PM

I see him as more than just a depth player. His vision and poise with the puck was only superseded by Nurse in the tournament. His positioning was 2nd to none in this hockey fan's opinion. He has shown grit and determination. A will to win. An extremely mature and responsible hockey player.

T@T
09-15-2015, 03:59 AM

Helps when you actually have those second round picks. "cough" SUTTER "cough"

Samuelsson
09-15-2015, 04:37 AM
Like this signing

Means we can move Brodie down to the third pairing and have Andersson with Wideman on the second line

Split98
09-15-2015, 07:14 AM
Like this signing

Means we can move Brodie down to the third pairing and have Andersson with Wideman on the second line

*Watches you pull the pin from the grenade* :ph34r:

XeO
09-15-2015, 07:26 AM
if anything Andersson and Kylington will eventually replace Wideman and Engelland but i dont think that will happen right away

Giodano - Brodie
Russell - Hamilton
Kylington - Andersson

Jables16
09-24-2015, 08:20 AM
Haven't really had a chance to see Andersson play in the Young Stars or pre-season so far but they've really been pumping his tires on the FAN. A lot of talk that with Brodie's injury it might give he or Kylington a chance to make the team rather than be re-assigned since they would actually get a chance to play in games rather than just sit in the press-box.

Can anyone attest to his play so far? Great news if he is playing at this level already.

Firebot
09-24-2015, 09:03 AM
Haven't really had a chance to see Andersson play in the Young Stars or pre-season so far but they've really been pumping his tires on the FAN. A lot of talk that with Brodie's injury it might give he or Kylington a chance to make the team rather than be re-assigned since they would actually get a chance to play in games rather than just sit in the press-box.

Can anyone attest to his play so far? Great news if he is playing at this level already.

He has been extremely solid and always seems to be in a good position. He was very noticeable in the Penticton tournament in a good way. Let's say I like him a lot more then some long in the tooth prospects like Wotherspoon.

Andersson and Kylington are both steals where they were picked, and both look like potential top 4 defence men in the making, with Andersson making the NHL first due to his solid defensive game but with Kylington having a higher ceiling. I am really pumped about both.

Caged Great
09-24-2015, 09:08 AM
I could see either get a shot for a few games. I could also see Morrison or Kulak get a shot if they don't think either is ready.

Andersson would be my bet of two recent picks.

GioforPM
09-24-2015, 11:15 AM
Andersson and Kylington are both steals where they were picked, and both look like potential top 4 defence men in the making, with Andersson making the NHL first due to his solid defensive game but with Kylington having a higher ceiling. I am really pumped about both.

Quick - give them a 7 year $4M deal!! :whistle:

GranteedEV
09-24-2015, 11:27 AM

I'm not convinced his lateral mobility is good enough for the NHL right now. I think he could easily play in the AHL though, but he's not eligible for that.

If I'm the Flames, I send him back to Junior and tell him to try and squeeze in as much free time just working on skating. Fast-twitch muscles, edgework, etc. Skating will take him a long way, because his offensive instincts are NHL-calibre. He's not a poor skater but at his currently level I wouldn't put him higher than a bottom pairing guy.

Bar-Down
09-24-2015, 11:40 AM
if anything Andersson and Kylington will eventually replace Wideman and Engelland but i dont think that will happen right away

Giodano - Brodie
Russell - Hamilton
Kylington - Andersson

Don't forgot about Brandon Hickey, who I think will be the best out of all our defensive prospects.

GreenLantern2814
09-24-2015, 11:55 AM
Don't forgot about Brandon Hickey, who I think will be the best out of all our defensive prospects.

Gio-Dougie
Brodie-Hickey
Kylington-Andersson

Good luck forechecking, everyone else.

Jables16
09-24-2015, 12:42 PM
I'm not convinced his lateral mobility is good enough for the NHL right now. I think he could easily play in the AHL though, but he's not eligible for that.

If I'm the Flames, I send him back to Junior and tell him to try and squeeze in as much free time just working on skating. Fast-twitch muscles, edgework, etc. Skating will take him a long way, because his offensive instincts are NHL-calibre. He's not a poor skater but at his currently level I wouldn't put him higher than a bottom pairing guy.

I'd heard this a bit as well, they were saying on the radio he was getting beat wide in backwards skating on the rush in defensive drills. If that's his main weakness though it's definitely something that can be improved with practice. Hockey IQ and instincts would be much tougher and he seems to have those in spades.

It's great to hear the early returns on the Draft are so promising. I still find in remarkable how quickly the Flames prospect cupboards have been stocked and how much the perception of the Flames drafting and development has changed in a couple years.

hockey.modern
09-24-2015, 07:10 PM
@KristenOdlandCH: At AM skate, Rasmus Andersson was 1st to the glass to listen to drills. Then, when he didn't understand something, had Cloutier clarify.

@KristenOdlandCH: Interesting to note. Rookie has poise and wants to learn. #Flames already like that.

@KristenOdlandCH: Hartley on experience vs. youth when picking 6th, 7th d-men: "We’re not going to take anything away from the player if he deserves it."

@KristenOdlandCH: "Body language, the way you are around the team. Whoever is still with us, we think they have a chance.”

dammage79
09-24-2015, 07:21 PM
Is it.... is it possible Andersson come in and steals a job? Mind blowing if that happens.

jg13
09-24-2015, 07:32 PM
Is it.... is it possible Andersson come in and steals a job? Mind blowing if that happens.

Very possible he's one of our top 7 going into Oct 7th at this point imo

GranteedEV
09-24-2015, 07:33 PM

Andersson VS McDavid/Eichel/Bennett for Rookie of the Year

dammage79
09-24-2015, 07:38 PM
Andersson VS McDavid/Eichel/Bennett for Rookie of the Year

That's exagerating things a bit but he's putting out one heck of an effort to make the team. The coaches love him.

FWIW, Eichel will be the ROTY.

GranteedEV
09-24-2015, 07:39 PM
FWIW, Eichel will be the ROTY.

I'm rooting for Eichel too :)

Vinny01
09-24-2015, 08:42 PM
This Sven for Anderson trade is already looking like a big win for the Flames

CroFlames
09-24-2015, 09:05 PM

212 pound 18 year old d-man who plays smart hockey. Obviously needs refining like any 18 year old, but all I can recall from the young stars games was his impeccable position and hockey sense. Always made the smart play.

I'd be surprised, but not shocked. I think given BT and Hartely though, he's going directly to the CHL no matter how good the remainder of his camp is though.

ScorchyScorch
09-24-2015, 09:14 PM
Definitely didn't know he was 212 lbs. That's NHL weight already.

Matata
09-24-2015, 09:35 PM
Is Rasmus really ahead of Kulak? Kulak seemed like the best rookie prospect to me, but I haven't seen the last few games.

dammage79
09-24-2015, 09:38 PM
Is Rasmus really ahead of Kulak? Kulak seemed like the best rookie prospect to me, but I haven't seen the last few games.

I would put Rasmus ahead of Kulak. even from a developmental standpoint it's taken 3 years for Kulak to get to this point gameplay wise and Rasmus only 1. So far...

GranteedEV
09-24-2015, 10:03 PM
I would put Rasmus ahead of Kulak. even from a developmental standpoint it's taken 3 years for Kulak to get to this point gameplay wise and Rasmus only 1. So far...

They're very different prospects.

Rasmus is like a Wideman. Just an elite offensive talent with some limitations currently.

Kulak is like a Brodie - excellent skater with balanced set of instincts and skills.

Kulak has had multiple Brodie type "Chance-Erasures" while Andersson has had multiple Wideman type "great reads".

Da_Chief
09-24-2015, 10:16 PM
212 pound 18 year old d-man who plays smart hockey. Obviously needs refining like any 18 year old, but all I can recall from the young stars games was his impeccable position and hockey sense. Always made the smart play.

I'd be surprised, but not shocked. I think given BT and Hartely though, he's going directly to the CHL no matter how good the remainder of his camp is though.

That 212 is few pounds of fat. Its been noted he needs to work on his conditioning.

He's a damn good prospect but remember he's not playing against full NHL rosters. That coupled with a brutal 82 game season I don't think there's a question about where he should be playing next year. That's OHL and dominate there. Come back next year and grab a spot.

tvp2003
09-24-2015, 10:17 PM
Definitely didn't know he was 212 lbs. That's NHL weight already.

It's not a "good" 212. One of his biggest weaknesses is his fitness/conditioning, so once he learns how to train at the NHL level that number will probably go down...

Matata
09-24-2015, 10:19 PM
looking at Andersson's stats and it's surprising he wasn't hyped more going into the draft, PPG defensemen are usually top 10 pick material. Great stats in Sweden too.

foshizzle11
09-24-2015, 10:29 PM
It's not a "good" 212. One of his biggest weaknesses is his fitness/conditioning, so once he learns how to train at the NHL level that number will probably go down...

ya, maybe next summer Gio will be running a fitness and conditioning school.

I am sure the Flames staff have given him everything he could ever need to improve his life style. He is too good and he knows it to not give it his all.

No matter what happens with him, I bet we see a very different and fit guy this time next year.

calgaryblood
09-24-2015, 10:36 PM
My favourite defensive prospect. I think he's going to be a stud.

Blarg
09-24-2015, 10:43 PM
"A little bit unfit...." - Hakan Loob

GranteedEV
09-25-2015, 01:19 PM
So Apparently Anderrsson was 17% corsi for when he was on the ice last night, despite the assist. These are probably signs that

- He needs to get a little bit stronger
- He needs to get a little bit quicker to the puck
- He generally just needs to continue to develop
- He will be on our opening day roster because unsustainable

dammage79
09-25-2015, 06:26 PM
So Apparently Anderrsson was 17% corsi for when he was on the ice last night, despite the assist. These are probably signs that

- He needs to get a little bit stronger
- He needs to get a little bit quicker to the puck
- He generally just needs to continue to develop
- He will be on our opening day roster because unsustainable

I pick option D. Ahhh Corsi the old "numbers are telling you your eyes and ears and common sense are wrong" stat. Keep on keeping on Corsi.