PDA

View Full Version : Treliving interview with Bob McKenzie

MissTeeks
09-13-2015, 11:46 AM
A full half hour sit down between Brad and Bob.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/video/treliving-wants-flames-to-take-the-next-step~703262

Talks about the blue line, Bennett, advanced stats from last year, Frolik, the economy and its effect on the Flames cap, Gaudreau and Monahan's future contacts and the renewed Battle of Alberta. And probably more I have forgotten.

I was shocked it took until the 26 minute mark for Bob to mention McDavid.

neo45
09-13-2015, 11:49 AM
I had no idea Mckenzie even did interviews. Awesome

Finger Cookin
09-13-2015, 11:53 AM
Such a great hire. We are fortunate to have such a hard working, intelligent, thoughtful GM in the organization.

Itse
09-13-2015, 11:56 AM
Not available in my region. Coles notes?

hockey.modern
09-13-2015, 11:57 AM
- We have to take the next step forward. Did some things last year that will not be duplicated.

- Doesn't get caught up by analytic's. Flames have their own data. Have done some moves to improve it.

- Very impressed with Bob Hartley & Co. His attention to detail, to push and teach was the number one reason we had success last year.

- Bob's focus this season is very high. How to move forward and not be afraid of stepping back.

- Flames are getting a lot of praise in a very difficult conference.

- Likes where the D core looks on paper, likes the depth. High hopes for Dougie. Thinks Brodie is a very good player internally and hopes Dougie can be similar.

- Looking at opportunity to make a move on veterans. Young guys are always going to be looking for a job at training camp.

- Bennett had a tremendous summer. No need to rush him, staff will work hard with him. Will be center, and no need to put him in situations where it will be vulnerable in his development. We want him in center because that's his best spot. Want's him to take it to the next level in the NHL; learn the responsibilities.

- Michael Frolik: Fit's exactly want Flames wanted. He helps you win. Refers him to a Swiss army knife, has many attributes.

- Wildcard players pushing for a spot: Bill Arnold, Emile Poirer, Drew Shore. There is no need to rush them but looks to see how they compete at training camp.

- Lot's of competition for goalie spot. Will see if Ortio is ready for the next step. Should he take a spot a veteran will be traded. Their is time between training camp and the start of the season to make moves.

- Jon Gillies is a big goalie who just won the championship. Will take a slow approach with him and Mason Macdonald.

- Had talks on contracts with Johnny & Mony but will see how their season goes this year. Cornerstone pieces of the Calgary Flames. Their goal is to build on what they had last year. We often forget how young these guys are.

- The salary cap hit home to a lot of teams this year. Drafting properly, having a good players that are young make it a little easier to work with. Looking at cap and try to predict where it goes. The money will come if you have success.

- Thinks it's great thing the Battle of Alberta is back. Challenges the players even more.

- It's a family show that Bob is on, so Brad didn't go to the details when Edmonton won the lottery but in context it was "You have got to be kidding me.." Next choice was to respond and be better.

- Talked to Sam about McDavid, they have a strong relationship off ice but when they step on the ice both are very competitive.

- Won't guarantee a playoff spot, but really like how the team looks. Real good young group to be with veteran presence. Desperately want to improve and do well. They are working hard and hopes for an even better season.

devo22
09-13-2015, 12:02 PM
I hate TSN and their stupid geo lock.

AcGold
09-13-2015, 12:05 PM
Treliving is an amazing hire, the guy is all business all the time. He was looking at Mckenzie like how do I get a second round pick out of this.

saillias
09-13-2015, 12:07 PM
- We have to take the next step forward. Did some things last year that will not be duplicated.

- Doesn't get caught up by analytic's. Flames have their own data. Have done some moves to improve it.

- Very impressed with Bob Hartley & Co. His attention to detail, to push and teach was the number one reason we had success last year.

- Bob's focus this season is very high. How to move forward and not be afraid of stepping back.

- Flames are getting a lot of praise in a very difficult conference.

- Likes where the D core looks on paper, likes the depth. High hopes for Dougie. Thinks Brodie is a very good player internally and hopes Dougie can be similar.

- Looking at opportunity to make a move on veterans. Young guys are always going to be looking for a job at training camp.

- Bennett had a tremendous summer. No need to rush him, staff will work hard with him. Will be center, and no need to put him in situations where it will be vulnerable in his development. We want him in center because that's his best spot. Want's him to take it to the next level in the NHL; learn the responsibilities.

- Michael Frolik: Fit's exactly want Flames wanted. He helps you win. Refers him to a Swiss army knife, has many attributes.

- Wildcard players pushing for a spot: Bill Arnold, Emile Poirer, Drew Shore. There is no need to rush them but looks to see how they compete at training camp.

- Lot's of competition for goalie spot. Will see if Ortio is ready for the next step. Should he take a spot a veteran will be traded. Their is time between training camp and the start of the season to make moves.

- Jon Gillies is a big goalie who just won the championship. Will take a slow approach with him and Mason Macdonald.

- Had talks on contracts with Johnny & Mony but will see how their season goes this year. Cornerstone pieces of the Calgary Flames. Their goal is to build on what they had last year. We often forget how young these guys are.

- The salary cap hit home to a lot of teams this year. Drafting properly, having a good players that are young make it a little easier to work with. Looking at cap and try to predict where it goes. The money will come if you have success.

- Great thing the Battle of Alberta is back.

I'll add to this, Bob seems to know something about Brad's work that we don't. He made reference to Treliving being a big stats guy and having several secret stat guys around Alberta that even Brian Burke doesn't know about.

Also Bob asked about Monahan and Gaudreau contracts, Treliving says "we'll see". Bob replies, that means big money doesn't it. Brad: "Yeah"

Finger Cookin
09-13-2015, 12:11 PM
Not available in my region. Coles notes?

Off the top of my head:

The organization is happy with last year's results, but those results don't do anything for them this year
Recognized that the ways they succeeded last year may not be repeatable, so improvement was needed. Both from people already in the organization, and by bringing in people from outside the organization
Advanced stats are the results of what happened, they don't dictate what to do
Areas of improvement need to include holding on to the puck more, spending less time in the defensive zone, and more time in the offensive zone. This can be addressed by internal improvement, new personal, and possible changes in playing style
Expectations around the league and in the press may have increased from last year, but internally the expectations have remained high. Not a lot of time spent congratulating each other on last season's results, as the Flames didn't finish where they wanted to. You acknowledge the success, then look at how to improve
Really likes the defensive group, and also much happier with overall defensive depth as opposed to 12 months ago or even six or seven months ago
Bennett will start camp at centre, and the plan is to play him at his natural position as much as possible. No sense delaying his development in such a key position. Depth at the position means he won't be thrown in the deep end, and can be used in the right opportunities for him to succeed and develop
Named Poirier, Arnold, and Shore as players who could be knocking on the door for NHL jobs. Camp will go a long way determining whether they take jobs, or if the Flames can look at making room for anyone else
Having too many options is never a bad thing, it's when you have too few options that you start to worry
Hiller and Ramo are two goalies that each give the team a chance to win every night, it's up to Hartley to determine how best to use them
If Ortio makes the case to have an NHL job, that gives the Flames options
"We'll see" with regards to contract extensions for Monahan and Gaudreau being done during the season or next offseason; acknowledges that the money will be there for players who perform, but right now the focus for both players is to come to camp and improve on their prior performances
Not able to share his response with the Oilers winning the McDavid sweepstakes as Bob is on a family show; but the reality is he's on the Oilers, and playing against talented players makes everyone on the Flames need to improve and measure themselves against better competition
Forecasts for next season's cap will be sobering for teams compared to where the 15-16 cap was forecast last season
Having to calculate your cap space is only a problem if you have the right players; when you have the right players who put you in that situation, it's a lot of work to make everything fit, but it's better than not having the problem

Generally, the themes from the interview are that improvements and step forwards are expected from everyone in the organization: players, coaches, management. This isn't supposed to be easy, it's supposed to be hard. I really get the sense that he enjoys the challenges. As has been made clear in his tenure here, Treliving values flexibility and relishes having to make hard decisions that will benefit and improve the organization.

I may have glossed over or missed some points, I'll see if this is on youtube and you can see if it's also geolocked there. It's really a fantastic interview, and well worth the watch.

Bandwagon In Flames
09-13-2015, 12:12 PM
I like that Treliving mentioned that Ortio can play himself into an NHL spot and they will instead trade Hiller or Ramo. I mean we all knew that was the case, but it's good to see that Treliving is up front about it.

btimbit
09-13-2015, 12:18 PM
Awesome! I'll watch it after work

I like that Treliving mentioned that Ortio can play himself into an NHL spot and they will instead trade Hiller or Ramo. I mean we all knew that was the case, but it's good to see that Treliving is up front about it.

Agreed. If Ortio has a great camp Id hate to see him splitting duties with Gillies in Stockton because there was no room

AcGold
09-13-2015, 12:22 PM
Writing's on the wall in that regard. We re-signed Ramo meaning he has atleast the back up spot, Hiller is going to be traded if Ortio forces Treliving to. Ramo has more room for improvement, Hiller's biggest issues are focus and not staying on the post, 2 fundamentally huge issues a goalie shouldn't have.

Prediction: Ramo starts the season for a few games, 10 max, Hiller plays a few. Ortio gets a shot, Hiller gets traded.

Huntingwhale
09-13-2015, 12:23 PM
Treliving is the man.

Igster
09-13-2015, 12:34 PM
Great watch. Thanks for the heads up and link.

Enoch Root
09-13-2015, 12:49 PM
Every GM is going to give the standard, public answers to those questions.

But there are a couple differences with Treliving:

1) you can tell that underneath, there is a very clear and precise plan and a process to execute it

2) no arrogance. They want to get everything right, but they are going to do that by out-working every other team, by having an executable plan to do so, not because they think they are smarter.

Love his approach.

And then the icing on the cake is that you know he and his team are never going to get hosed on a trade. They are going to grind out top value every time.

GranteedEV
09-13-2015, 12:51 PM
I noticed he mentioned Smid before Engelland when talking about NHL depth.

MisterJoji
09-13-2015, 01:35 PM
Obviously Lowetavish aren't in power anymore but could the Flames and Oilers approach to prospect development be anymore polar opposite? I don't think Burke could've picked a better front office.

sa226
09-13-2015, 02:12 PM
I think Mackenzie said awhile ago that he will retire when the current CBA is up. I think that will be a sad day for sports coverage.

Just an absolute pro. No media shenanigans, no sensationalism. Just does his job with such a high degree of respect and credibility.

It's funny how much can change in a year. Last year the Johnny Gaudreau question was met with: "We don't know." Now he is a cornerstone player on the verge of big money.

GullFoss
09-13-2015, 02:21 PM
When i watched i read his tone and words around ortio as saying "if we abolutwly no othwr choice cuz ortio has an amzing camp, we'll move a goalie. But otherwise, back to minors for ortio"

BACKCHECK!!!
09-13-2015, 03:06 PM
Bob McKenzie is the man.

jayswin
09-13-2015, 03:25 PM
When i watched i read his tone and words around ortio as saying "if we abolutwly no othwr choice cuz ortio has an amzing camp, we'll move a goalie. But otherwise, back to minors for ortio"

I think you read too much into it. Imo, he was suggesting that if Ortio is the first or second best goalie coming out of camp then he will likely be in the NHL this season, and Brad will make a trade to accommodate that.

As much as every GM says that salary/contract status plays no role in who plays where (aka always earned, never given) it simply isn't 100% true. I do think the Flames are one of the best in the league at staying very true to this motto, but eventually there will be times where asset protection plays a role.

I know others state vehemently that Ortio isn't a risk to send down due to other teams needing to keep him up, but the fact of the matter is he has shown a very big "flash" in the string of games he played last year. When you show what he has in the minors and then you come up and show starting goalie potential like he did, you're on the radar in this league.

All it would take is one of 29 teams scanning the waiver wire and going "goalie X is having a crappy camp, Ortio can't be worse and we could potentially steal a number one starter, let's grab him", and we lose a very big asset for nothing. I really, really can't see Brad taking that risk, not his style, and truly believe that Ortio has a huge advantage to making our top 2, and in all likelihood will earn it anyways.

Mike F
09-13-2015, 03:48 PM
McKenzie asked Treliving what his reaction was when Edmonton won the lottery and got McDavid.

It's a fair question, but I was disappointed he didn't turn that around in his Chiarelli interview and ask him his reaction when Calgary landed Hamilton.

Street Pharmacist
09-13-2015, 04:26 PM
McKenzie asked Treliving what his reaction was when Edmonton won the lottery and got McDavid.

It's a fair question, but I was disappointed he didn't turn that around in his Chiarelli interview and ask him his reaction when Calgary landed Hamilton.
Why? It's not at all the same...

Strange Brew
09-13-2015, 04:48 PM

That was my take too, but I may be biased because that's what I expect will happen. I'm not sure the trade market for Hiller is great, nor am I convinced we lose Ortio on waivers.

But if Ortio clearly outplays the other two, it will be very interesting.

Calgary4LIfe
09-13-2015, 04:49 PM
It is nice to hear Brad mentioning Arnold (and Poirier, though I would argue most people have Poirier on the radar at the moment) as a potential usurper for a vet. Kind of surprised that Ferland was not brought up at all in the interview.

I really enjoy listening to Treliving. Not once do you get the feeling of any arrogance, or patting himself on the back (though some of his work is very deserving of accolades already), or any sort of dishonest answers. He talks a lot, and tells you a lot about what he feels he can, and he does a great job dancing around the points that all teams of course want to keep behind closed doors. Always a treat to listen to I think. You really get the impression he is both very smart and very diligent.

Mike F
09-13-2015, 04:52 PM
Why? It's not at all the same...

It's asking about the ramping back up of the Battle of Alberta and seeing the provincial rival land a key piece to their future. In fact, it's an even more relevant question for Chiarelli given they were in the running for Hamilton, while Calgary had no chance of landing the 1st pick.

Party Elephant
09-13-2015, 07:19 PM
I hate TSN and their stupid geo lock.
Download a plugin called Hola for your browser and you can browse from whatever country you like. I downloaded it just to watch tsn highlights, it's great.

Ps sorry about the ninja vote

GreenLantern
09-13-2015, 08:45 PM
Can someone explain to me how the Battle of Alberta is 'back'? From what I can see the Oilers still finished in the bottom 5 last year and yet again we have another off season of them TALKING about how good they are going to be.. meanwhile the Flames are coming off an incredible year where they actually achieved something. Doesn't seem like much of a battle to me. More like Germany vs. Poland.

All of this is referring to McDavid being drafted? Oh man I hope that kid has strong shoulders.

N-E-B
09-13-2015, 09:50 PM
Really liked the interview. It was a nice change of pace from the usual "Blue Jays Win" or "Connor McDavid Scored in a Practice" stuff they've been posting recently.

Finger Cookin
09-13-2015, 09:50 PM
Can someone explain to me how the Battle of Alberta is 'back'? From what I can see the Oilers still finished in the bottom 5 last year and yet again we have another off season of them TALKING about how good they are going to be.. meanwhile the Flames are coming off an incredible year where they actually achieved something. Doesn't seem like much of a battle to me. More like Germany vs. Poland.

All of this is referring to McDavid being drafted? Oh man I hope that kid has strong shoulders.

It's not back. The Flames are on the rise, and the Oilers may be (relatively, which isn't saying a lot). That may breathe more life into the BoA than there's been in a long time. Only time will tell.

It will never again approach what it was in the 80s.

N-E-B
09-13-2015, 09:55 PM
It's not back. The Flames are on the rise, and the Oilers may be (relatively, which isn't saying a lot). That may breathe more life into the BoA than there's been in a long time. Only time will tell.

I disagree.

I think if these two teams are fighting it out for 1st in the division every year and play a few playoff series, it absolutely will. Might not be as violent, but that's just because the game has evolved since the 80's. The hate will be just as strong.

This off-season has been the first in a long time where I truly despise the Oilers, their players, and their obnoxious fans. The hate, in my mind, is already there off the ice. Just wait for these young kids on both teams to start hating each other too.

stemit14
09-13-2015, 10:29 PM

Only way to get it started is for a game full of brawls between the top players. With the flames jumping the oilers at every chance.

Monahan vs. Hall.
Hudler vs. Eberle.
Gaudreau vs. yakupov.
Bennett vs. McDavid.
Gio vs. Ference.
Brodie vs. Schultz.
Backlund vs. RNH.
Ferland vs. Nurse.

The crowd at the dome goes crazy... Nobody even looks at the scoreboard. The league hands out fines to both coaches. Oilers management and coaches complain and whine about Hartley and the mean flames. Rivalry renewed.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Lucky23
09-13-2015, 11:02 PM
Anyone else notice Brad's post chew hiccups/burps? I bet he had some pretty wild heartburn.

Madrox
09-14-2015, 03:11 AM
Download a plugin called Hola for your browser and you can browse from whatever country you like. I downloaded it just to watch tsn highlights, it's great.

Ps sorry about the ninja vote

Have to warn you guys about using Hola Unblocker, they don't tell you that it's a peer-to-peer program, and so installing it on your computer means that people are using your connection as an end point to access the internet, which means if they do anything illegal it gets traced to your connection. They also sell your connection to third parties, it's been used in the past for botnet attacks.

You can get more information here. (http://adios-hola.org/)

Party Elephant
09-14-2015, 03:24 AM
Have to warn you guys about using Hola Unblocker, they don't tell you that it's a peer-to-peer program, and so installing it on your computer means that people are using your connection as an end point to access the internet, which means if they do anything illegal it gets traced to your connection. They also sell your connection to third parties, it's been used in the past for botnet attacks.

You can get more information here. (http://adios-hola.org/)

Interesting, thanks for sharing.

devo22
09-14-2015, 07:40 AM
somehow got it running without installing Hola. Thanks though PE (ninja votes are stupid!).

Interesting interview. Treliving is such a smart guy, really happy that we have him as GM. Also want to echo the praise for McKenzie, he's simply in a league of his own.

Canada 02
09-14-2015, 01:59 PM
Treliving on the Fan 960

lots of prospect discussion

http://www.sportsnet.ca/960/boomer-morning/flames-gm-treliving-w-boomer-rhett/

Vinny01
09-14-2015, 02:11 PM

It is back until McDavid proves he can't carry the franchise on his shoulders. Edmonton picked up Chiarelli and Macllelan then landed the best prospect in the past 10 years. They were able to trade for a mediocre former top 5 pick and sign a number 4 D to be their number 1. Their fans have been chirping all summer like they did back in 2010-2011.

The Flames shocked a lot of people last year and have been getting a ton of praise this summer for their speedy rebuild. Getting Hamilton, Frolik, and Gio signed this summer were all big wins for Treliving breaking Dougie and McDavid day was a piss off to Oiler nation. The bickering has been ongoing ever since.

With the Canucks reduced to a laughing stock this summer the BOA has reignited. I anticipate October 17th HNIC to have the feeling of a playoff game inside the Dome