PDA

View Full Version : [Trade] Versteeg + to Carolina for farm hands and a pick

dammage79
09-11-2015, 12:38 PM
Chicago Blackhawks ‏@NHLBlackhawks 6m6 minutes ago
#Blackhawks acquire D Dennis Robertson, Jake Massie, 2017 5th rounder in exchange for Versteeg and Nordstrom. http://onego.al/S6paM

Chicago Blackhawks ‏@NHLBlackhawks 4m4 minutes ago
Robertson tallied 17 points (3G, 14A) over 57 games in his first full pro season with the Charlotte Checkers of the AHL last season.

Chicago Blackhawks ‏@NHLBlackhawks 1m1 minute ago
Massie, 18, recorded 11 points (6G, 5A) in 14 games with the Boston Jr. Bruins. He was selected by CAR in the sixth round of the 2015 Draft.

Obviously a cap dump situation.

Tyler
09-11-2015, 12:41 PM
Is there seriously something wrong with Versteeg? This guy gets traded every year it seems.

devo22
09-11-2015, 12:42 PM
wow, that's incredible for Carolina. I'd take Nordstrom over all the spare parts, and getting a solid player like Versteeg (yes, he's overpaid but Carolina obviously has the cap space) on top of that? Great trade.

Poe969
09-11-2015, 12:42 PM
Wasn't Nordstrom supposed to be pretty good? I guess this could be good for both teams but hopefully not as good for the hawks.

jschick88
09-11-2015, 12:44 PM
Cap dump / making room for Marcus Kruger.

dammage79
09-11-2015, 12:44 PM
Theres a 3rd round pick going to CAR too:

General Fanager ‏@generalfanager 4m4 minutes ago
Carolina gets the higher draft pick in the deal.
2017 CAR 5 to CHI
2017 CHI 3 to CAR

dammage79
09-11-2015, 12:46 PM
Is there seriously something wrong with Versteeg? This guy gets traded every year it seems.

Quite the opposite I think. His skillset is a good fit for his cap hit. Useful for re-tooling teams who have room but not pluggy enough to be bought out.

SuperMatt18
09-11-2015, 12:46 PM
Pure cap dump on the part of the Hawks.

If the Flames didn't already have so many forwards (cough Raymond cough), Versteeg at one year for $2.2 million wouldn't have been a bad move.

Cali Panthers Fan
09-11-2015, 12:48 PM
I was always amazed that Chicago bothered to reacquire him after he left the first time.

dammage79
09-11-2015, 12:52 PM
Mark Lazerus ‏@MarkLazerus 1m1 minute ago
The Departed:
Sharp
Saad
Oduya
Richards
Vermette
Versteeg
Nordstrom
Raanta
Timonen

And Kane's status is up in the air.

I suspect there'll be no repeat this year. If they make it even to the confrenece finals it'll be a dang miracle.

Sylvanfan
09-11-2015, 12:57 PM
Kris Versteeg is the poster child for what a Cap dump looks like.

Vinny01
09-11-2015, 01:13 PM
If Kane is gone due to suspension then the Hawks will miss the playoffs in my opinion

Parallex
09-11-2015, 01:22 PM
The Departed:
Sharp
Saad
Oduya
Richards
Vermette
Versteeg
Nordstrom
Raanta
Timonen

And Kane's status is up in the air.

I suspect there'll be no repeat this year. If they make it even to the confrenece finals it'll be a dang miracle.

The big thing is Kane's status... if Kane plays then I think they can get there.

I mean with the exception of Saad and Sharpe the list above is not exactly anyone that they'll really miss (or overly contributed to their success). Vermette & Timonen were rentals, Nordstrom played less then half the season, and Raanta was the back up. Anisimov more then replaces Richards, Garbutt replaces Versteeg, Daley replaces Oduya. So Chicago basically needs two of Panarin, Teravainen, and Dano to replace Saad and Sharpe... can they do that? No, probably not and I don't think they'll repeat as champs but is there enough there that they could get to the WC final? Yeah... I think there is (unless Kane is in jail or on indefinate suspension pending resolution of his legal troubles).

If Kane is gone due to suspension then the Hawks will miss the playoffs in my opinion

I find it difficult to believe that a team with Toews, Hossa, Keith, Seabrook solid depth players and an average goalie wouldn't make the playoffs... it'd be harder to be sure but that still looks like a playoff team to me.

GreenLantern2814
09-11-2015, 01:23 PM

They'll still have Toews Seabrook, Keith and Hjalmarsson. They're a playoff team barring massive injuries.

Alberta_Beef
09-11-2015, 01:37 PM
If Kane is gone due to suspension then the Hawks will miss the playoffs in my opinionWhy would Kane be suspended? Last I heard it was a civil suit not a criminal case.

Parallex
09-11-2015, 01:47 PM
Why would Kane be suspended? Last I heard it was a civil suit not a criminal case.

It's not a criminal case yet... the grand jury will meet in two weeks last I heard. I would imagine that charges will follow.

thefoss1957
09-11-2015, 01:51 PM
This move puts the 'Hawks at about $1.66 million under the cap...and, most Chi fans see this move as purely to get enough cap space to offer the more valuable, especially on the PK, Kruger, a small raise.

Versteeg seemed to fit well with Q's systems, and was a serviceable low 2nd or solid 3rd line wing. Both times the 'Hawks moved him, was for purely salary reasons, he just doesn't do enough on special teams to make him vital. I certainly don't read his movement, here, as any flaw in the guy as a person or player (except with slightly lower than average puck decision making).

Nordstrom was a nice, young, defensive forward that can play wing or center...probably looking at a 3rd liner tops, but with PK skills.

thefoss1957
09-11-2015, 02:00 PM
The Departed:
Sharp
Saad
Oduya
Richards
Vermette
Versteeg
Nordstrom
Raanta
Timonen

Losing Saad and Sharp hurt, but, especially in Sharp's case, the handwriting was on the wall that he was going to be just too expensive to keep. Saad has a great up-side, and speed, but, it also remains to be seen how much his stats were aided by having Toews as his center...again, the cap being what it is, the 'Hawks were going to lose any bidding war.

All of the others were no better than depth guys, place holders or rentals, at best, except for Oduya, who was showing some signs of regression.

We will see Teraveinen moved up a line, what Panarin can do, and also see some guys that were buried at the Rock, because of 'Hawk depth at forward. I see the 'Hawks, still as a solid defensive team, with some forwards that can be explosive, and some young guys that might be able to step up in this system.

If the offense can click, there is no reason to believe that the 'Hawks still aren't a top-tier team in the West.

Locke
09-11-2015, 02:03 PM
Why would Kane be suspended? Last I heard it was a civil suit not a criminal case.

I think he already currently is suspended.

thefoss1957
09-11-2015, 02:03 PM
Kruger re-signed shortly after the Versteeg/Nordstrom move...no details yet

http://chicago.cbslocal.com/2015/09/11/blackhawks-re-sign-marcus-kruger/#.VfMyQlfjCeI.twitter

Benched
09-11-2015, 02:04 PM
Dano could surprise this year

IMO Chicago's fate hangs on Kane's fate.

Carolina....not sure what they're doing or where they're going.

Finger Cookin
09-11-2015, 02:30 PM
I think he already currently is suspended.
Not that I could find. But please bear in mind I have not been following Kane's situation at all.

GullFoss
09-11-2015, 03:37 PM
I think all these moves makes anahiem the favorites in the west.

Derek Sutton
09-11-2015, 04:19 PM
Versteeg being traded shouldn't come as a surprise, he said in an interview in the summer that he himself wouldn't be surprised if he was traded although staying in Chicago was obviously his preference. They didn't really miss him in the play offs either when he was briefly injured and when his son was born.

I think that many fans were hoping that by trading Sharp and Versteeg they would be able to retain Saad. Those Toews and Kane extensions are gonna really hurt them when ot comes to rounding out the roster.

dammage79
09-11-2015, 04:55 PM
I'm not discounting the Hawks at all. They have a whole bunch of kids ready and rearin' to go. Hartman, Pokka, TVR, Panarin, Tikhonov, TT... there's a bunch there. Just think a SCF or WCF are out of the question this year. Then right back on top the year after when the kids have the EXP.