PDA

View Full Version : All 3 Bruins first round picks fail conditioning tests

calumniate
09-10-2015, 04:11 PM
I thought this was funny, considering the picks were headscratchers to begin with:

http://www.csnne.com/boston-bruins/all-3-boston-bruins-first-rounders-fail-conditioning-test-camp

killer_carlson
09-10-2015, 04:17 PM
wow. Jaw on the floor!

i don't know what else to say.

Gundo
09-10-2015, 04:24 PM
Nvm

Finger Cookin
09-10-2015, 04:27 PM
http://static1.gamespot.com/uploads/scale_super/1534/15349500/2873764-7162610948-mj-la.gif

BloodFetish
09-10-2015, 04:28 PM
^^^ I do.

HA-HA, Stupid Bruins!

dash_pinched
09-10-2015, 04:28 PM
https://i.imgur.com/9mDe9xR.jpg

jayswin
09-10-2015, 04:30 PM
Hahahahaha. I'd say this is the icing on the cake of the Hamilton deal but we've already had a bunch of icing, not its just falling off the cake.

Hack&Lube
09-10-2015, 04:31 PM
It's not like this is some kind of scientific V0 max fitness test. It was just three 300 meter sprints (outdoors on wet, rainy turf) and they didn't meet the 1 minute mark for each run.

Remember Bennett (and Gary Roberts) couldn't manage a chin-up during their first camps.

MrMastodonFarm
09-10-2015, 04:32 PM
“Really it’s about going forward for each and every one of them. Some guys will return to their junior teams with the expectation next year that they have to pass. We expect them to pass. They’ll have to do some work as a result of it. But it’s still an educational process as far as their personal growth.”

DeBrusk was the closest of the three to pass the conditioning run, but said the conditions made it even more challenging to pass the test.

“I was close, so I know what to expect and work on for next time,” said DeBrusk, who finished at exactly a minute on the third sprint to just barely fail the test. “I did way better than I did in the first time. I passed two out of the three. It was tough out there because we were on turf, and it was raining outside today. So sometimes you were slipping and falling out there. That cuts down a couple of seconds, but I was right there.”

Clearly, it’s not the end of the world as it’s not abnormal for 18-year-olds to flunk the grueling conditioning run in their first couple of times out of the gate. At the end of the day it’s not such a bad thing for the first-round picks to get a bit of a wakeup call after a charmed summer where their NHL Draft dreams became reality. Now each of the trio knows that it’s all business with the Bruins from here on out, and the expectations have been raised now that they represent the Original Six organization.
It's only funny because it's all three guys but this is probably being blown out of proportion. If all three guys continue to not pass the tests three years out, then there is a problem.

I'm sure there were newly drafted prospects for the Flames that didn't make their testing goals. Rasmus Andersson probably didn't become a gym god in the summer, Sam Bennett couldn't do a pull up his combine.

Finger Cookin
09-10-2015, 04:32 PM
What's this about Bennett and chin-ups now? I've never heard it come up.

Fighting Banana Slug
09-10-2015, 04:34 PM
Kind of a weird test, no? "6 back-and forth 300 meter sprints" Is that 150 meters each way, with the complete loop done under a minute?

Bezer
09-10-2015, 04:34 PM
Good for a bit of a chuckle.. but I am guessing it's blown outta proportion.

Blarg
09-10-2015, 04:37 PM
It's not like this is some kind of scientific V0 max fitness test. It was just three 300 meter sprints (outdoors on wet, rainy turf) and they didn't meet the 1 minute mark for each run.

Remember Bennett (and Gary Roberts) couldn't manage a chin-up during their first camps.

To be fair, Bennett had a busted shoulder, so unless all three prospects have some sort of leg ailment, the two situations are not really comparable.

SofaProfessor
09-10-2015, 04:40 PM
It's kind of funny but probably not a big deal. Remember when people were laughing about Sam Bennett not being able to do a single pull up?

I was reading elsewhere that the Bruins have one of the most intense training camp fitness tests in the league and players are expected to be at 10% body fat or less. Even for a professional athlete, 10% body fat is really low. And you have to consider that guys will burn fat like crazy as the long season wears on.

Taking that into consideration, you could end up with a guy who failed simply because he's at 11% body fat but everyone is imagining this winded, 360lb kid throwing up Big Macs in the gym.

FBI
09-10-2015, 05:04 PM
Also Bennett did 12 or something later once he was healthy..