PDA

View Full Version : [Trade] COL and ARZ swap Brandon Gormley and Stefan Elliott

dammage79
09-09-2015, 08:06 PM
ArizonaCoyotesNews ‏@AZCoyotesNews 3m3 minutes ago
NEWS: #Coyotes Acquire d-man Stefan Elliott from COL in exchange for d-man Brandon Gormley. http://bit.ly/1EWFNmo

EDIT: Elliott is still an unsigned RFA too. Buys COL a year of Gormley and ARZ can sign Elliott to the deal he wants (asuming he wants more than QO and COL doesn't want to pay up)

Seems some of us Flames fans including me overvalued Gormley. I don't think Elliott is that stellar of a return. Gormley should have a full time spot all locked up in COL.

SuperMatt18
09-09-2015, 08:11 PM
I would have liked Gormley but cost was likely Wotherspoon

Matt Reeeeead
09-09-2015, 08:12 PM
I had suggested last year a swap of Gormley for Baertschi and was laughed at.

Hindsight, was probably about equal type of trade, and I think with where the roster construction is right now, the 2nd rounder we ended up with is probably for the best.

Still, not a bad guy to take a flier on if Engelland and Smid weren't taking up spots.

Flames Draft Watcher
09-09-2015, 08:16 PM
Wow. Stefan Elliot is doing nothing in COL. So swapping him for Gormley seems to indicate Gormley isn't that highly thought of league wide either.

Guess we don't need to lament that Jokinen as much as some wanted to.

savardandjokinen
09-09-2015, 08:31 PM
Bad trade for the coyotes

Moneyhands23
09-09-2015, 08:50 PM
Wow. I wanted him...before we got Hamilton..lol

dammage79
09-09-2015, 09:06 PM
Craig Morgan ‏@craigsmorgan 29m29 minutes ago Tempe, AZ
Don Maloney said the team has tentatively agreed on a two-way, one-year deal with Stefan Elliott (RFA) that still must be finalized.

Fire of the Phoenix
09-09-2015, 09:15 PM
Didn't think Gormley's value had fallen so far, wasn't Elliot on waivers at one point?

dammage79
09-09-2015, 09:20 PM
Didn't think Gormley's value had fallen so far, wasn't Elliot on waivers at one point?

Yep.

T@T
09-10-2015, 04:38 AM
Bad trade for the coyotes
Just my opinion but I think Elliott has more upside, Neither seem extremely smart but Stefan is a nice skater and has a great shot from the point.

Caged Great
09-10-2015, 05:10 AM
Elliott is one of those players that has a lot of awesome tools but can't seem to quite figure it out. If he does this year, the Coyotes will win this trade. A lot of if's and maybes though.

It could be a win-win or a meh-meh.

Poe969
09-10-2015, 06:36 AM
I had suggested last year a swap of Gormley for Baertschi and was laughed at.

Hindsight, was probably about equal type of trade, and I think with where the roster construction is right now, the 2nd rounder we ended up with is probably for the best.

Still, not a bad guy to take a flier on if Engelland and Smid weren't taking up spots.

Before we got Hamilton, I would have wanted Gormely, I think he could have added depth to the bottom pairing and maybe developed under better coaching and on a better team. I still think he has a future in the league though but the second we got for sven turned into Rasmus Anderson. I'd take Anderson over Gormely any day.

Erick Estrada
09-10-2015, 09:16 AM
Wow. Stefan Elliot is doing nothing in COL. So swapping him for Gormley seems to indicate Gormley isn't that highly thought of league wide either.

Guess we don't need to lament that Jokinen as much as some wanted to.

Darryl probably did himself a favour as if he would have kept the pick and taken Gormley (no slam dunk he would have been the pick btw) fans would have panned him for another 1st round bust.

The Original FFIV
09-10-2015, 04:14 PM
Darryl probably did himself a favour as if he would have kept the pick and taken Gormley (no slam dunk he would have been the pick btw) fans would have panned him for another 1st round bust.

and Jaden Schwarz was one pick after Gormley - d'oh!

getbak
09-10-2015, 04:44 PM
and Jaden Schwarz was one pick after Gormley - d'oh!
Tarasenko was two picks after that. The Blues really nailed that first round.

Fire of the Phoenix
09-10-2015, 09:28 PM
There were always other players besides Gormley I was disappointed we didn't get because of that trade. Given our atrocious forward depth on the roster and in the system, and having just picked Erixon, I wonder if Sutter would've gone for a forward with that pick? The guy I wanted was Emerson Etem (if we still had it, at the time), I remember being really surprised at how far he fell.

GettinIggyWithIt
09-10-2015, 09:54 PM
I believe Stefan Elliot was actually taken by the 2nd rounder (originally Montreal's) that we traded with Nycholat and Wilson for Leopold. So technically - this is a trade of two former Flames picks :)