PDA

View Full Version : [News] Curtis Glencross Retires

Pages : [1] 2

dammage79
09-09-2015, 02:13 PM
Andrew Walker ‏@FAN590Walker 18s18 seconds ago
#Leafs sign Curtis Glencross to PTO for camp.

Best place to get a full time gig this year. Good to see.

EDIT: On with eh Avs now, seems to look like he'll get a deal there.

Cali Panthers Fan
09-09-2015, 02:21 PM
Well, at least he gets a chance at a contract. I hope Curtis realizes that he isn't as good as he thinks he is and actually starts busting his ass again. As much as I dislike the Leafs, it would be good to see him do well there and earn 3 or 4 year deal to finish his career.

Poe969
09-09-2015, 02:22 PM
This has to be a little tough on his ego. I wish him the best and I hope he helps the leafs get to 9-10 (not because I don't like him but because I hate the leafs. If he does become a member of the leafs, I will have to revisit the not hating portion of that statement).

Locke
09-09-2015, 02:26 PM
Thats a shame. The Leafs...

Well....its better than Edmonton.

alan21
09-09-2015, 02:27 PM
I really thought he was going back to Edmonton as a bottom 6 player who can contribute and help out that young core.

CroFlames
09-09-2015, 02:28 PM
For some reason I had a hunch he would end up in a Leaf uniform.

The trade looked good then, it looks even better now that the guy we traded can't even get a contract without a PTO first.

CroFlames
09-09-2015, 02:29 PM
I really thought he was going back to Edmonton as a bottom 6 player who can contribute and help out that young core.

That would have actually benefited the Oilers. He's exactly the kind of guy they need to shake things up there. (assuming he starts playing like he can again)

Good thing he's going East.

Crumpy-Gunt
09-09-2015, 02:30 PM
Thank god he isn't an oiler, that's all I could think

Erick Estrada
09-09-2015, 02:32 PM
On the bright side Toronto is the place to get noticed if you have a bounce back season.

dammage79
09-09-2015, 02:33 PM
Babcock should be able to get Glencross going again. If not, good luck finding work in the NHL again Curtis.

MissTeeks
09-09-2015, 02:35 PM

Edmonton didn't want him:

@NHLbyMatty: Understand Oilers considered Glencross on PTO but will go with their own signed forwards first. Draisaitl will get look on wing on 3rd line

MrMastodonFarm
09-09-2015, 02:36 PM

He didn't seem happy to play that role here, why would he elsewhere?

Good luck with the Leafs though, hope he gets a contract.

Locke
09-09-2015, 02:41 PM
Edmonton didn't want him:

@NHLbyMatty: Understand Oilers considered Glencross on PTO but will go with their own signed forwards first. Draisaitl will get look on wing on 3rd line

http://i.imgur.com/eonMdM1.jpg

FBI
09-09-2015, 02:44 PM
Ouch.

Parallex
09-09-2015, 02:53 PM
He'll be in tough to get any ice-time there. James van Riemsdyk, Leo Komarov, Daniel Winnik, & Shawn Matthias are the LW currently in place in TO and I don't think I take Glencross over any of them.

Otto-matic
09-09-2015, 03:00 PM
Hope Curtis can find his game in Toronto, if not hopefully he plays well enough to earn some interest from another team.

cam_wmh
09-09-2015, 03:03 PM
I'm putting on the most fire ######ent of flame suits here, but why wouldn't the Canucks offer him a spot?
:bag::ph34r:

Wait. Curtis has more pride than to play for that flailing pile of diving divers?

SuperMatt18
09-09-2015, 03:05 PM
I kind of thought that he would end up in Winnipeg, seemed like they could use a decent middle 6 LW.

Would have been a good fit on that team IMO.

Right now on LW the only real lock is Ladd. Perreault plays LW but can also be a center. Ehlers might not stick at the NHL level, and Thorburn is a 4 liner with limited upside.

Geeoff
09-09-2015, 04:18 PM
Crazy that he had to sign a PTO. I like Brad Treliving. Can we keep him?

Benched
09-09-2015, 04:20 PM
was thinking maybe Florida...but interesting, the Leafs eh?

Well, GL Glenny. I remember some sweet goals you potted here and wish you the best.

TapeToTape
09-09-2015, 04:27 PM
Pretty glad it looks like he will be out East. You can be sure he will be playing with a fire in his belly whenever he plays the Flames.

mikephoen
09-09-2015, 04:47 PM
I bet he makes the Leafs and resurrects his career. They'll probably flip him for a decent pick at the deadline too.

foshizzle11
09-09-2015, 04:53 PM
I am sure he will get a spot on the Leafs, he will fit in some where. I agree with you mikephoen, if he doesn't stay in TO then they will get at least something for him at the deadline. No way they get what BT got last year. I still can't believe he is without a contract. Likely asking too much from everyone all summer? At this point I would imagine he is begging for a contract.

Flames Fan, Ph.D.
09-09-2015, 04:54 PM
He didn't seem happy to play that role here, why would he elsewhere?

Humility gained from the experience of the last 5 months?

doctajones428
09-09-2015, 04:57 PM
Ships out lazy Kessel, brings in lazy Glencross

transplant99
09-09-2015, 05:02 PM
I'm stunned he didn't get a contract yet and I was dead wrong about that for sure.

Props to sureloss (IIRC) who called this a long time ago.....he was reading the market correctly.

Yorkshire Flame
09-09-2015, 05:58 PM
Exhibit A: What happens when you're the best player on a crappy team, and you let it go to your head.

AcGold
09-09-2015, 06:55 PM
He was never the best player but I get your point. Between Iginla leaving and the most recent season there was a gap where Glencross started to think he was a top 6 player. He never was and never will be, not his fault everyone expected way too much.

killer_carlson
09-09-2015, 07:01 PM
He will knock it out of the park as a Leaf.

Honest in interviews.
Fast
Gritty

By January the Toronto media will be hailing him as the second coming of Wendell Clark. He'll be re-signed to a 3 year extension by the trade deadline or dealt for a 2nd round pick.

kehatch
09-09-2015, 07:02 PM
Don't you hate it when extreme fan bases like the Montreal turn on their players?

Baertschi: The face of the franchise > terrible prospect > hope you fail miserably in Vancouver

Glencross: Best bargain in the NHL > get this slacker off my team > enjoy the reality check (snicker)

Wait, that's our fan base? That's too bad.

Sent from my SM-N920W8 using Tapatalk

Finger Cookin
09-09-2015, 07:19 PM
Oh, you have an SM-N920W8? That's fascinating!

- No one

Huntingwhale
09-09-2015, 07:19 PM
I hope he does well and earns a spot. Contrary to popular belief, 32 isn't that old. He can still carve out a long career if he adapts and is willing to play the role in front of him. Babcock loves his vets and is more then willing to play them as long as they fit his system. I always thought Glencross would have been a good fit with Detroit and if the Leafs play that style, I don't see why he can't succeed.

A re-invigorated Glencross is a good player. Hard nosed, a wicked shot and gritty as hell. I think his days as a top 6 guy are done, especially on a rebuilding team like the Leafs. But I think he's still a solid bottom 6 guy who can slot into the top 6 or special teams when needed

I wish him nothing but luck. He gets a rough go on CP, and wrongfully so.

Iveman
09-09-2015, 07:32 PM
Oh man. I hate when players I like end up on teams I despise. I would think he would have no problem cracking the leafs lineup.

dammage79
09-09-2015, 08:05 PM
He'll be in tough to get any ice-time there. James van Riemsdyk, Leo Komarov, Daniel Winnik, & Shawn Matthias are the LW currently in place in TO and I don't think I take Glencross over any of them.

JVR is just as good on the RW too. Which is where I think Babs puts him anyways. IRC he was quite successful on the RW in PHI when he was on the upswing. Not a bad replacement for Kessel on the top line. The rest of the LW's are in the same ballpark as Glencross IMO give take subtle skill differences here and there, but nothing that puts them over the other.

Glencross could conceivable end up in the #2 LW spot if he goes into camp on a mission. Komarov and Winnik are tweener #3 LW's. And Mathias is a suitable top 2 LW. Who knows. But I do think Glencross has a real good shot at a contract in T.O. I'd say 75% chance he gets roster spot.

Flames Draft Watcher
09-09-2015, 08:15 PM
Don't you hate it when extreme fan bases like the Montreal turn on their players?

Baertschi: The face of the franchise > terrible prospect > hope you fail miserably in Vancouver

Glencross: Best bargain in the NHL > get this slacker off my team > enjoy the reality check (snicker)

The reality is always somewhere in between. Fans had good reason to turn on Baertschi IMO and that issue literally has nothing to do with Glencross. As for Glencross, he was great when he wanted to be but impacted the game on a regular basis far less than he thought he did.

AcGold
09-09-2015, 08:46 PM

Wait, that's our fan base? That's too bad

Untrue, you're focusing on the vocal minority. Most of us don't really care about Glencross or Baertschi. Especially Baertschi, good luck or whatever, he's not on our team anymore. Glad we got picks for both of em, good work Treliving. Think about how quickly people were able to get over Iginla, you think we care about Sven??? Nope

JonDuke
09-09-2015, 09:09 PM
I've never been a Glencross fan while on the Flames, but still wish him the best of luck.

dino7c
09-09-2015, 09:12 PM
I don't think he has what it takes to be an NHLer anymore...if that opinion makes me a bad fan than so be it

great trade by the Flames, exactly why a GM can't let emotions get involved

Fire of the Phoenix
09-09-2015, 09:21 PM

Am I allowed to not like Baertschi and be indifferent to Glencross? Or does that make me only halfway extreme?

I gotta ask, did anyone seriously believe Sven was destined to be 'the face of the franchise?' My attitude with him was more like:

Looks like a solid pick > Wow, great draft+1 and 5 game call up > nifty little point streak to end a so-so pro debut > meh > wow he's immature and full of himself, glad he's gone.

kyuss275
09-09-2015, 10:06 PM
I thought he signed a PTO with the Av's? Guess not. This is probably a better opportunity for him.

dino7c
09-10-2015, 12:29 AM
PTO is far from a contract, could still end up on any number of teams...or none at all

pressure is on

T@T
09-10-2015, 01:05 AM
Had him figured in Arizona or NJ, glad he's in the east.(if he gets a job)

Resolute 14
09-10-2015, 08:36 AM
Oh man. I hate when players I like end up on teams I despise. I would think he would have no problem cracking the leafs lineup.

In this case, it is easy. The Leafs are going nowhere, so I hope he does well, gets traded at the deadline, and gets another chance to redeem himself in the playoffs.

MissTeeks
09-10-2015, 01:41 PM
@CruickshankCH: LW Curtis Glencross about tryout with #Leafs: "Such a great organization. It’s the biggest hockey market you can play in. I’m excited.”

FBI
09-10-2015, 03:53 PM
*gritting teeth* "I'm Excited"

BigBrodieFan
09-10-2015, 04:06 PM
Just what the Leafs need, another inconsistent forward with an attitude. *sigh* I hope he makes it though, I have a soft spot for ol Scoreface AND the Leafs :bag:

IgiTang
09-11-2015, 12:51 AM
Plug

savemedrzaius
09-11-2015, 07:56 AM
Plus the Leafs just signed Boyes to a PTO. They must have a trade in the works involving some of their vet forwards and are planning on keeping these guys?

Flames89
09-11-2015, 08:03 AM
I wish him all the best here in TO. He was a great Calgary Flame (though, I soured on his hockey and body language in the last couple years).

Cali Panthers Fan
09-11-2015, 08:51 AM
Plus the Leafs just signed Boyes to a PTO. They must have a trade in the works involving some of their vet forwards and are planning on keeping these guys?

If nothing else, Boyes can still shoot the puck. He's slow, not particularly tough, below average defensively, and it takes forever to get his shot off...but when he does, look out! :w00t:

JiriHrdina
09-11-2015, 08:56 AM
Plug

Fantastic contribution.

Bandwagon In Flames
09-11-2015, 09:02 AM
Setoguchi, Glencross, Boyes. Is Toronto really that desirable of a team to play for? Or is nobody else even offering PTO's to them?

I guess with all the media attention Toronto gets, even if a tryout with the Leaf's doesn't work then another team will likely sign them.

heep223
09-11-2015, 09:26 AM
I bet you Glencross got a few PTO offers but the other two are probably desperate. IMO the Leafs are looking for stop-gap veteran players for a few years, like the Flames were with Raymond, Setoguchi, Engelland

Oil Stain
09-11-2015, 09:34 AM
Setoguchi, Glencross, Boyes. Is Toronto really that desirable of a team to play for? Or is nobody else even offering PTO's to them?

I guess with all the media attention Toronto gets, even if a tryout with the Leaf's doesn't work then another team will likely sign them.

Lots of holes/injury prone players in their top six.

Great place for a vet to get an opportunity to play in the top six, put up some points, and get traded to a contender in the spring.

IgiTang
09-11-2015, 09:56 AM
Fantastic contribution.

I've been vocal about my distain for Glencross for years.

I've taken a lot of flack about it on this board too. This result echoes my thoughts.

I've failed to see his leadership and desire to just go out there and get it done. Clearly, gm's across the league have similar thoughts.

So I summed it up in one word.

No one has to share or agree with my thoughts, but I do feel somewhat vindicated by the PTO.

From here out, I'll keep my opinion to myself about Glencross.

Bandwagon In Flames
09-11-2015, 10:36 AM

I've taken a lot of flack about it on this board too. This result echoes my thoughts.

I've failed to see his leadership and desire to just go out there and get it done. Clearly, gm's across the league have similar thoughts.

No one has to share or agree with my thoughts, but I do feel somewhat vindicated by the PTO.

Like the smell of your own farts much? You will be taking even more flack for coming across like a pompous d-bag.

Nobody disagrees that Glencross' game has fallen off a cliff in the last couple years. He had a lot of value 2 years ago, and even after his crappy play he was still a positive value asset at the trade deadline.

Glencross was worth a 2nd + 3rd round pick under a year ago. He didn't do himself any favors with Washington to up his stock value, but he was still one of the most sought after trade deadline targets. He wouldn't of been worth so much unless multiple GM's had shown interest.

Poe969
09-11-2015, 11:12 AM
To be fair, he wouldn't have been worth as much if others weren't interested but I'm willing to bet that every GM who looked into acquiring Glencross is happy they didn't get him.

He could still be on the Flames had he not wanted to cash in on this contract and instead he has to prove he still belongs in the NHL. I agree with IgiTang that I haven't seen what most people were raving about and I think he was just over hyped by fans. He came off as someone who thought he'd be a top 6 player on any team and it looked greedy (this is how he looked to some people, some may disagree but no one is right or wrong). As a Flames fan, I'm glad he is no where near this team.

AcGold
09-11-2015, 11:24 AM
Like the smell of your own farts much? You will be taking even more flack for coming across like a pompous d-bag.

Nobody disagrees that Glencross' game has fallen off a cliff in the last couple years. He had a lot of value 2 years ago, and even after his crappy play he was still a positive value asset at the trade deadline.

Glencross was worth a 2nd + 3rd round pick under a year ago. He didn't do himself any favors with Washington to up his stock value, but he was still one of the most sought after trade deadline targets. He wouldn't of been worth so much unless multiple GM's had shown interest.

Yeah... Igitang is not the one coming off as a pompous dbag here.

Cleveland Steam Whistle
09-11-2015, 11:38 AM

I went to Vegas once, and I played some roulette. Every time I put an equal sized bet down on #11 (one of my favourite numbers). For hours I sat there, losing money but I kept betting. Then, in the 3rd hour, I finally hit 11 came up and I won my bet. Really felt vindicated and really felt like it proved all my friends that were telling me to just stop wrong.

Bandwagon In Flames
09-11-2015, 11:41 AM
Yeah... Igitang is not the one coming off as a pompous dbag here.

Care to elaborate? I'm not the one saying that I'm right and everyone else on this forum is wrong about Glencross.

Locke
09-11-2015, 11:42 AM
To be fair, he wouldn't have been worth as much if others weren't interested but I'm willing to bet that every GM who looked into acquiring Glencross is happy they didn't get him.

He could still be on the Flames had he not wanted to cash in on this contract and instead he has to prove he still belongs in the NHL. I agree with IgiTang that I haven't seen what most people were raving about and I think he was just over hyped by fans. He came off as someone who thought he'd be a top 6 player on any team and it looked greedy (this is how he looked to some people, some may disagree but no one is right or wrong). As a Flames fan, I'm glad he is no where near this team.

I know I considered Glencross to be among the leadership of this team and that was really important to me, it was a big reason I didnt want to see him traded because I figured we were already running with a really young, very inexperienced team that was already missing Gio.

And I dont think I was wrong in that, I think he really brought that leadership aspect, what I was wrong about was the value of that leadership because the young, inexperienced team not only clicked along just fine without him, they actually got better.

Ultimately I think Glencross' problem was that he fit in really well here, with this team and with these players he was given really good opportunities and the organization really valued the intangibles that he brought.

The downside to that is that some teams dont give a rat's ass about those intangibles all they want are his goals and assists and as such he doesnt fit in quite as well.

So maybe he'll bring that to Toronto and they'll sign him for it, but if hes auditioning just on his playing qualities then hes rapidly approaching that 'marginal at best' category of NHLers.

Poe969
09-11-2015, 11:44 AM
I think you guys are reading too much into it. He's not saying he was right and everyone was wrong (or at least I didn't get that from his post) he was saying that he (along with me) didn't really like Glencross and thought he was over hyped...especially this past season.

IgiTang
09-11-2015, 11:45 AM

I'm in the Navy. You learn to appreciate really terrible odors. Even those of others but especially those of your own.

dino7c
09-11-2015, 11:55 AM
Its pretty hard to deny that Glencross was over rated considering there is a good chance he will be out of the league soon

AcGold
09-11-2015, 11:56 AM
Care to elaborate? I'm not the one saying that I'm right and everyone else on this forum is wrong about Glencross.
Yeah but you are the one insulting people over an opinion about hockey. He thinks Glencross is a plug? How is that a heinous offense? The words public forum insinuates dissenting opinions. You're just throwing fuel on the fire here.

Bandwagon In Flames
09-11-2015, 11:58 AM
I think you guys are reading too much into it. He's not saying he was right and everyone was wrong (or at least I didn't get that from his post) he was saying that he (along with me) didn't really like Glencross and thought he was over hyped...especially this past season.

You're right he didn't say it. He implied it in 3 different statements.

He said he's felt this way about Glencross for years, not lately. He thinks that Glencross' success is due to playing with Iginla which couldn't be more wrong.

The guy had success as a grinding power forward and tried to be something more. That's what his fall boils down to. If you've watched him for the past 5 years it should be easy to see that he's not playing the same game. Good luck finding a clip of Glencross making a drop pass before 2014.

He was called Scoreface for a reason. Some of you have way too short of memories.

Poe969
09-11-2015, 12:05 PM
I've often wanted to do this just to see what would happen. Just pop into a thread and post:

You're wrong.

People would blow up because so many people think that their opinion on something is fact.

If we look at the facts right now, Glencross was on the Flames and stated he wanted to cash in (or not take a discount) or whatever. He apparently turned down a contract from the Flames (I'm pretty sure I read that in a thread, I could be wrong though) and turned it down. It's September 11th. Glencross has had almost 2 and a half months to get a contract but instead he's trying to make a team that will likely have a lottery pick.

He was good and serviceable in his time, but that time has long since passed. His leadership wasn't that important considering the team did better after he'd been traded to another team. He played terrible to end the season and into the playoffs, was a healthy scratch and was a direct cause of one of the major goals against the caps in the playoffs.

He was good. He isn't good now. Maybe he can find his game again but by the looks of it, he'll be in tough to be anything more than a roster filler (or plug as IgiTang said).

Flames89
09-11-2015, 12:11 PM
https://media3.giphy.com/media/4lBRztYRqfjUs/200.gif

JiriHrdina
09-11-2015, 12:21 PM

No need. Just share them in full. The one word "plug" comments just don't add to the discussion, whereas this post can.
That's all.
Unless it is the Oilers and then one-word dismissive posts are more than acceptable.

Azhouse
09-11-2015, 01:09 PM
The guy had success as a grinding power forward

When I look back at Glencross this is not a statement that comes to mind...ever.

FBI
09-11-2015, 01:56 PM
There is way too much fart smelling going on these days at CP...

Bandwagon In Flames
09-11-2015, 02:25 PM
When I look back at Glencross this is not a statement that comes to mind...ever.

Speedy PKer with size who can hit and score 15-20 goals with 3rd line minutes. Scored 90% of his goals from within 2 feet of the net.

What else would you call his game from 2008 - 2013?

Some posters seem to have serious memory loss issues. I know CP is an older crowd, but come on guys it was not that long ago..

Azhouse
09-11-2015, 03:11 PM
Are you his brother?

Strange Brew
09-12-2015, 01:32 AM
What this shows me is just how hard it is to play in the NHL. The guy was effective not that long ago, traded for a sizeable return a few months ago and now is barely hanging on. If you're a player the lesson has to be to keep yourself healthy and in shape, don't take anything for granted and cash in when you can. If you're a franchise, it speaks to the danger of handing out long term contracts to anyone below elite level.

Azhouse
09-12-2015, 06:37 AM
Speedy PKer with size who can hit and score 15-20 goals with 3rd line minutes. Scored 90% of his goals from within 2 feet of the net.

What else would you call his game from 2008 - 2013?

Some posters seem to have serious memory loss issues. I know CP is an older crowd, but come on guys it was not that long ago..

No memory loss. When I hear the term power forward I think of (young) Jerome, Milan etc. Guys that show up on a nightly basis, dictate play/ games, score key goals and will punch you in the face if you get to close. Curtis was a 3/4 liner playing on 1/2 line. When he got dropped to where he should be in the lineup he pouted. When he had trouble finding a team he whined to the press how he shouldn't have taken that supposed home town discount (which I thought was more than fair for what Curtis brought).

He was a power forward (in my mind) as much as say a Fernando Pisani was a power forward in this league.

Tyler
09-12-2015, 07:46 AM
Glenny may have been great off the ice and in the locker room as a leader, but he was terrible at bringing that leadership to a game.

Bad penalties, lazy backchecking, inconsistency.. these are things that you no longer see in our leadership group and it's a big reason we are the team we are right now

IgiTang
09-12-2015, 09:42 AM
Glenny may have been great off the ice and in the locker room as a leader, but he was terrible at bringing that leadership to a game.

Bad penalties, lazy backchecking, inconsistency.. these are things that you no longer see in our leadership group and it's a big reason we are the team we are right now

Exactly what I was trying to say, thank you.
I'm sure Curtis Glencross is a phenomenal human being. But in his last couple years, his giving up on plays, very little determination, and essentially whining after plays rather than fighting through adversity on the ice is what the Flames have needed to get away from. He was the last piece of the old regime and perhaps was victim of poor leadership himself.. But that type of "cancer" for lack of a better word, is what good hockey teams are staying away from.

I wish him the best of luck as I don't like it when anyone loses their job, but its tough to feel bad for someone who had the world in their hands, millions in their bank account and took it for granted.

PrettyBoyFlizzy
09-12-2015, 10:19 AM
The team didn't miss a beat without Glencross, and actually looked a lot better. That alone speaks volumes about his supposed leadership. He was good during a two year span, but lets not overlook the fact he took a lot of lazy and selfish penalties.

dissentowner
09-12-2015, 11:18 AM
He was also the laziest player when it came to line changes, always slowly to the bench and the last to change.

totti_07
09-13-2015, 12:18 PM
Pretty sure I saw him at the NW Costco on Friday....overheard him saying he is heading out on Monday

cgy2london
09-13-2015, 04:27 PM
He was also the laziest player when it came to line changes, always slowly to the bench and the last to change.

He was an unbelievably selfish player. His entire time in Calgary. He was successful when Iggy was at his best and he was where he belonged, on the third line.

He got tricked into believing he was a top six forward, and he did his best to trick many of us. Fact is he was a grinding player that was successful when he worked hard. As soon as he got it in his head that he should be considered and offensive threat, he was complete garbage.

Cheers to the RIVER BOAT GAMBLER. Thrilled he's not apart of this team moving forward.

killer_carlson
09-13-2015, 04:29 PM
He was an unbelievably selfish player. His entire time in Calgary. He was successful when Iggy was at his best and he was where he belonged, on the third line.

He got tricked into believing he was a top six forward, and he did his best to trick many of us. Fact is he was a grinding player that was successful when he worked hard. As soon as he got it in his head that he should be considered and offensive threat, he was complete garbage.

Cheers to the RIVER BOAT GAMBLER. Thrilled he's not apart of this team moving forward.

Can we get a "No Thanks" or "This Post Is Terrible" button on the site?

calgaryblood
09-13-2015, 05:23 PM
Can we get a "No Thanks" or "This Post Is Terrible" button on the site?

Why? I was a big Glencross fan and he pretty much explained Glencross's time here to perfection. He was great when he worked hard and bad when he thought he was better than he actually was. What's wrong with that? There is a reason a guy with as many points as Glencross in the last 5 years is having a hard time getting a contract. Why do you think that reason is?

hockey.modern
09-27-2015, 12:08 PM
Not good..

@markhmasters: Leafs release Curtis Glencross and Devin Setoguchi from PTOs

Itse
09-27-2015, 12:11 PM
Ouch.

kyuss275
09-27-2015, 12:18 PM
Have not followed the leafs this pre-season. That said, Glencross must have been some sort of awful to get cut this early.

activeStick
09-27-2015, 12:21 PM
Wow this is shocking given that Toronto roster. Gotta be the end of the road for him, don't see him interested in going to Europe to play.

Enoch Root
09-27-2015, 12:23 PM
Only saw a few of his shifts last night, but he didn't seem to have any jump in his legs

nik-
09-27-2015, 12:30 PM
He was definitely not on the game that made him effective the last couple of seasons, but it's still crazy just how fast his career imploded.

FlamesAddiction
09-27-2015, 12:32 PM
His speed was the one thing that made him valuable. Without that, it isn't worth giving him a spot above a prospect that needs to make the jump.

MacFlame
09-27-2015, 12:33 PM
I'm at the point in my career where I want to win a Cup. I love what’s going on here and I have a lot of good friends in this dressing room and we have a good group of guys. We play for the 20 other guys in this room every night. And if it comes to a situation where I am going to have to leave, I’m going to miss a lot of guys in here.

But I’ve gotta think about what’s best for myself and my family.

The bolded part is what really stuck with me right before Glencross was traded.

He:

a.) didn't seem to genuinely believe the team had a chance at the playoffs, even though they were right in the thick of a playoff race at the time he said this, and

b.) didn't seem to understand his value at this stage of his career.

Its really unfortunate, but it happens to a lot of players, having to leave them game before they want to. I wish him the best. Although his skills (and body) deteriorated over the last few years, I believe he gave it his all. Good luck to him.

http://calgaryherald.com/sports/hockey/nhl/calgary-flames/glencross-facing-unsettling-times-with-nhl-trade-deadline-nearing

Atodaso
09-27-2015, 12:34 PM
He's come a long way from being pissy about his ice time in Calgary and wanting out to being cut by the Leafs on a PTO.

How glorious it is to look back and see that the 2nd and 3rd round picks helped Calgary eventually bring in both Hamilton and Kylington respectively. Simply Amazing.

Enoch Root
09-27-2015, 12:43 PM
Our 1st, 2nd, 3rd and Glencross turned into Hamilton and Kylington

Finger Cookin
09-27-2015, 12:44 PM
a.) didn't seem to genuinely believe the team had a chance at the playoffs, even though they were right in the thick of a playoff race at the time he said this, and
That's not at all what he said, and it's a reach to take that away from what he said.

I feel a little bad for Glencross. It was time for him and the Flames to part ways, but I can't imagine anyone around the league thinking he'd be this hard pressed to simply land a contract.

MacFlame
09-27-2015, 12:45 PM
That's not at all what he said, and it's a reach to take that away from what he said.

Sorry, should have said "have a chance at the cup". Still not something that a veteran should have said while his team was in the thick of a playoff race.

dustygoon
09-27-2015, 12:57 PM
How on earth do the Oilers not sign this guy at the minimum? Crazy.

Ashasx
09-27-2015, 12:57 PM
I have a hard time believing that Glencross cannot be of value for some NHL team.

foshizzle11
09-27-2015, 01:01 PM
Ya, I can't imagine that he will be out of work for long, injuries will result in him finding work before the season starts IMO.

BigRed
09-27-2015, 01:16 PM
Jeebus. It's not like Glencross is a tweener. Whatever you think of him, he's an NHL player. This shouldn't be so tough for him.

burn_this_city
09-27-2015, 01:19 PM
It's amazing how quickly things can turn in the league. Seems like the middle road players are squeezed out once their peak performance is over. Salary cap forces teams to give a kid the icetime and invest the money in star players.

D as in David
09-27-2015, 01:22 PM
He didn't look really impactful last night so I am not surprised by this. Sad to see it happen, though.

It is amazing how quickly things are changing towards youth and speed in the NHL. Expansion probably can't happen fast enough for some of the older players in the league.

Iveman
09-27-2015, 01:33 PM
I thought there was some interest from Colorado for Glencross at one time.

chedder
09-27-2015, 01:39 PM
He was definitely not on the game that made him effective the last couple of seasons, but it's still crazy just how fast his career imploded.
I think by last couple of seasons you mean 4 and 5 years ago. His 2 seasons that made everyone think he was something special. His regression since then has led him to his current predicament.

jayswin
09-27-2015, 01:50 PM
I thought there was some interest from Colorado for Glencross at one time.

Yeah, but PTO players are followed by all teams that are interested, regardless of what team they're trying out with. I don't think it's one of those things were the agent has other interested teams in their back pocket in case they're released.

I'd imagine when you're released so quickly, especially from a team like the Leafs, the formerly interested teams either

A) Were following very closely and didn't like what they saw, just like the team they were trying out for, or;

B) Weren't following intently and go "Well, he got cut by the Leafs pretty quickly, so he probably wasn't going to make our team either".

I'd bet this is it for him unless he wants to try to work his way back up from the AHL (if a contract is available), but I'd be willing to bet he packs it in and moves on with his life, he seems grounded like that.

Flash Walken
09-27-2015, 02:11 PM
Our 1st, 2nd, 3rd and Glencross turned into Hamilton and Kylington
Homerun
How on earth do the Oilers not sign this guy at the minimum? Crazy.
He's not good enough to help the Oilers.
Jeebus. It's not like Glencross is a tweener. Whatever you think of him, he's an NHL player. This shouldn't be so tough for him.
No he isn't, that's why it's so tough for him.
It's amazing how quickly things can turn in the league. Seems like the middle road players are squeezed out once their peak performance is over. Salary cap forces teams to give a kid the icetime and invest the money in star players.Glencross has been in a steady decline for the last 3-4 years.

At this point, it's not a cap issue as an ELC is likely negligibly cheaper than what Glencross would be commanding from a PTO.

I think by last couple of seasons you mean 4 and 5 years ago. His 2 seasons that made everyone think he was something special. His regression since then has led him to his current predicament.
Precisely. When he isn't scoring, he's not good enough to play in NHL.

jayswin
09-27-2015, 02:18 PM
Yeah, I think Glencross' decline was pretty apparent a few years ago, he was almost kind of propped up on CP by posters who were countering the so called "anti-Glencross" posters.

Basically, he became so polarizing on CP that he wasn't as awful as the negative guys claimed, but he was clearly struggling and declining as a player contrary to the constant Glencross defender's beliefs. The reality was he was a declining player for the last 3 to 4 years, to the point where we hasn't even needed on our roster last year, passed over by the whole team, and it's incredible that we got value in that trade.

The Fonz
09-27-2015, 03:11 PM
If Curtis Glencross can't get a contract, there is no way in hell anyone will take Raymond in a trade.

VladtheImpaler
09-27-2015, 03:11 PM
Yeah, I think Glencross' decline was pretty apparent a few years ago, he was almost kind of propped up on CP by posters who were countering the so called "anti-Glencross" posters.

Basically, he became so polarizing on CP that he wasn't as awful as the negative guys claimed, but he was clearly struggling and declining as a player contrary to the constant Glencross defender's beliefs. The reality was he was a declining player for the last 3 to 4 years, to the point where we hasn't even needed on our roster last year, passed over by the whole team, and it's incredible that we got value in that trade.

Yeah, it's like the Caps don't have pro scouts or even watch Western games because they are on too late.
;)

Vulcan
09-27-2015, 03:23 PM
If Curtis Glencross can't get a contract, there is no way in hell anyone will take Raymond in a trade.

Right now I'd rather have Glencross than Raymond.

GreenLantern2814
09-27-2015, 03:50 PM
Right now I'd rather have Glencross than Raymond.

You'd rather have neither. Glencross only wins because he doesn't have two years on his deal.

CliffFletcher
09-27-2015, 04:22 PM
It's amazing how quickly things can turn in the league. Seems like the middle road players are squeezed out once their peak performance is over. Salary cap forces teams to give a kid the icetime and invest the money in star players.

This was predicted back when the cap was first introduced - that the NHL would eventually come to be like the NBA, where each team has a few stars who command enormous salaries, and the rest of the roster is mostly cheap young players and bargain-basement journeymen. Middle of the road players have no place in that structure the moment their play drops off.

Vulcan
09-27-2015, 04:36 PM
You'd rather have neither. Glencross only wins because he doesn't have two years on his deal.

Both are streaky scorers but Glencross wins as he can bring a physical aspect to his game.

FlameZilla
09-27-2015, 04:42 PM
Did Treliving offer him any sort of contract extension midseason or did Glencross make it clear he was going to the open market?

I bet he'll be looking for a new agent soon...

I feel sorry for the guy but there is no room for him at all. Perhaps he can saddle up with Iggy & the rest of the country-club crew down in Denver...

Calgary4LIfe
09-27-2015, 05:59 PM
Did Treliving offer him any sort of contract extension midseason or did Glencross make it clear he was going to the open market?

I bet he'll be looking for a new agent soon...

I feel sorry for the guy but there is no room for him at all. Perhaps he can saddle up with Iggy & the rest of the country-club crew down in Denver...

I am not sure what (if any) offers were made, but I do know that Treliving was actively trying to re-sign Glencross, but the demands from the Glencross camp was much higher than Treliving was willing to go. Whether that means term, dollars or both, I have no idea. Whatever Glencross was demanding was very far from what Treliving was thinking of retaining him for, and negotiations just stopped I think before the mid-season mark IIRC. I am sure someone knows more, but just what I have to offer anyways.

Still surprised that Toronto cut him. Doesn't bode well for him getting another opportunity somewhere else. Arizona maybe? Columbus (I think they got hit with another 6 injuries at the moment, but no idea what any of the timetables are). I can't really think of too many rosters that have more room than Toronto does at the moment, especially factoring in how many contract spots Toronto opened up with the Grabner trade.

getbak
09-27-2015, 06:30 PM
When Burke was on the radio a few weeks ago (at the golf tournament, IIRC), he was asked if he was surprised that Glencross had to take a PTO. His response was along the lines of saying that things can change quickly in today's NHL, and if you don't take a contract offer when it's offered, it may not be there a second time.

From the way he said it, my inference is that the Flames made him an offer on an extension but he wanted to test free agency or thought he was worth more than the Flames were willing to pay him.

DazzlinDino
09-27-2015, 06:45 PM
Yeah, but PTO players are followed by all teams that are interested, regardless of what team they're trying out with. I don't think it's one of those things were the agent has other interested teams in their back pocket in case they're released.

I'd imagine when you're released so quickly, especially from a team like the Leafs, the formerly interested teams either

A) Were following very closely and didn't like what they saw, just like the team they were trying out for, or;

B) Weren't following intently and go "Well, he got cut by the Leafs pretty quickly, so he probably wasn't going to make our team either".

I'd bet this is it for him unless he wants to try to work his way back up from the AHL (if a contract is available), but I'd be willing to bet he packs it in and moves on with his life, he seems grounded like that.

My guess is that his only chance is to reinvent himself; He needs to hit the gym put on some muscle and come back with a lot more grit to his game. I am guessing he just didn't bring enough and doesn't have the intangibles needed. Not enough talent for a top 6 and enough grit for a bottom 6. If he was bigger stronger I bet he makes the team.

PeteMoss
09-27-2015, 06:48 PM
This was predicted back when the cap was first introduced - that the NHL would eventually come to be like the NBA, where each team has a few stars who command enormous salaries, and the rest of the roster is mostly cheap young players and bargain-basement journeymen. Middle of the road players have no place in that structure the moment their play drops off.

It was but I'm not sure it applies to this situation at all. He was on a PTO so he was going to get a low contract. His salary would have had nothing to do with him being cut.

Glencross is 33 now. He's well past his prime and most teams would rather have the young guy who might break out in their bottom forwards rather than an older guy.

Jay Random
09-27-2015, 06:49 PM
My guess is that his only chance is to reinvent himself; He needs to hit the gym put on some muscle and come back with a lot more grit to his game.

Grit and muscle don't cut much ice when the legs can't keep up with the play anymore.

Super-Rye
09-27-2015, 06:50 PM
I wouldn't be surprised to see Glencross end up in LA.

He is still a solid two-way NHL forward and Sutter is a pretty loyal guy.

I'm not an expert on the LA Kings or their depth chart but a quick glance at their roster shows that they could probably use another NHL winger, and they have some cap space to play with.

A 1 year 700K deal could be beneficial to both parties.

Coach
09-27-2015, 06:58 PM
europe is always an option as well.

Hackey
09-27-2015, 08:18 PM
Times are tough when you can't crack the leafs.

flamesfan1297
09-27-2015, 08:46 PM
europe is always an option as well.

If he cant make a team in North America i'd imagine he'll just hang up the skates.

saXon
09-27-2015, 10:43 PM

I guess we'll be seeing guys like Jones and Bollig hitting the wall in a few years as well then.

FBI
09-27-2015, 10:50 PM
I hated Glencross as much as the next person but I legitimately thought he was going to step it up in the try-out. Quite amazing how fast he has fallen. Hope he salvages something at least!

On the other hand no big surprise on setoguchi.

Karl
09-27-2015, 11:04 PM
I guess we'll be seeing guys like Jones and Bollig hitting the wall in a few years as well then.

Like he said, the middling guys (and also of course obviously the guys who really suck) are getting squeezed out. So yes, that is a definite possibility.

Karl
09-27-2015, 11:29 PM
I think the biggest problem for Glencross is that he's lost a lot of foot speed and that has also taken down the rest of his game to some degree. That's why he appears to some as 'lazy' or 'disinterested'. He just can't get to the places he used to as quickly as before.

I also think many NHL teams are well and truly aware of that too. Because of that, I think his time in the NHL is done, sadly.

Calgary4LIfe
09-27-2015, 11:30 PM
Like he said, the middling guys (and also of course obviously the guys who really suck) are getting squeezed out. So yes, that is a definite possibility.

I am curious to know what your take was on Glencross' performance during his PTO. Any insight as to how he looked to you, and how the competition was? I didn't catch any of the Leafs' camp or preseason.

dino7c
09-27-2015, 11:39 PM
can't wait until Glencross cheap shots me in the beer league

Karl
09-27-2015, 11:43 PM
I am curious to know what your take was on Glencross' performance during his PTO. Any insight as to how he looked to you, and how the competition was? I didn't catch any of the Leafs' camp or preseason.

Admittedly, I haven't paid much attention to the training camp and have only seen one Leaf preseason game. Just so happened it was the one yesterday against the Habs, in which both Seto and Scoreface were playing in. Seto was playing on the 1st line a lot with Bozie & JVR. Glencross started on the 4th line with Kasperi Kapanen, a 2014 1st round pick we got in the Kessel trade and another prospect named Byron Froese, then with a bunch of different players (not named Bozak or JVR).

The whole team looked not very good for the most part, but it also didn't look like Glencross & Seto had much left to give either.

Vulcan
09-27-2015, 11:53 PM
I saw a bit of the Montreal - Toronto game and except for one line, and Glencross wasn't on it, TO looked pretty terrible.

Karl
09-28-2015, 12:04 AM
I saw a bit of the Montreal - Toronto game and except for one line, and Glencross wasn't on it, TO looked pretty terrible.

Glencross got a bit of time with alot of different forwards, but only played 7:39 at even strength, but no PP time and didn't play at all with Bozak & JVR.

Cactus Jack
09-28-2015, 04:42 AM
I think the Berra trade pre-dates Brad Tre-fu but that and the Glencross deals for second and third round picks were absolutely steals. Neither player has done anything remotely worth any one of those picks we received in return. That's good asset management, knowing when to divest yourself of an asset while people still see value in it.

Vinny01
09-28-2015, 06:56 AM
I think the Berra trade pre-dates Brad Tre-fu but that and the Glencross deals for second and third round picks were absolutely steals. Neither player has done anything remotely worth any one of those picks we received in return. That's good asset management, knowing when to divest yourself of an asset while people still see value in it.

That Glencross trade was huge especially considering when it was all said and done the flames traded their 1st, 2nd, 3rd round pick and Glencross for Hamilton and Kylington

edslunch
09-28-2015, 07:32 AM
Feel bad for the guy - takes a hometown discount then can't cash in on his next contract. On the plus side he has the Chucks to fall back on as a passion.

T@T
09-28-2015, 07:55 AM
Feel bad for the guy - takes a hometown discount then can't cash in on his next contract. On the plus side he has the Chucks to fall back on as a passion.
Maybe he should have taken the offered 2nd "hometown discount" huh?

Poe969
09-28-2015, 08:01 AM
You mean the hometown discount with a full NTC? He wasn't good enough to get top dollar and an NTC, he really wanted that NTC so he was forced to leave money on the table...and it's not like he took half of what he should have got. He wasn't a 5-6 million dollar player playing for 2. It just shows that he thought he was worth more than he really was and that's how he's painted himself in the corner he's in now.

calgaryblood
09-28-2015, 08:07 AM
Babcock does not like players like Glencross so no surprise he got released. He has say in who he wants and only wants players who give 100% effort every shift. Glencross in his prime wasn't giving full effort so I think the writing was on the wall.

Hope he lands somewhere else because I still think he can play at the NHL level just not for a coach like Babcock.

Robbob
09-28-2015, 08:15 AM
That Glencross trade was huge especially considering when it was all said and done the flames traded their 1st, 2nd, 3rd round pick and Glencross for Hamilton and Kylington

The last 6 months or so have been remarkable in terms of asset management turning:
Glencross, Baertchi, 1st, 2nd, 3rd

Into:
Hamilton, Kylington and Andersson.

It really is hard not to get excited looking at the return and getting a glimpse of what the two swedes have to offer.

Sucks for Glencross because by all accounts he is a phenomenal person and was part of the initial leadership group that put things back on the rails, but I am extremely thankful as a fan of the team, to unfolded the way that it did.

Stay Golden
09-28-2015, 08:39 AM
Could be end of the road in the NHL for Glencross at age 32.
I thought he would been signed somewhere. Bet his 2.5m Flames contract looks appealing to him now. Still can't believe he actually said last offseason he regretted signing that deal.

PeteMoss
09-28-2015, 09:02 AM
Could be end of the road in the NHL for Glencross at age 32.
I thought he would been signed somewhere. Bet his 2.5m Flames contract looks appealing to him now. Still can't believe he actually said last offseason he regretted signing that deal.

He probably regrets it even more now. He missed his chance to earn bigger dollars at the end of his prime likely thinking he could get another decent contract once it was over.

Azhouse
09-28-2015, 09:13 AM
You mean the hometown discount with a full NTC? He wasn't good enough to get top dollar and an NTC, he really wanted that NTC so he was forced to leave money on the table...and it's not like he took half of what he should have got. He wasn't a 5-6 million dollar player playing for 2. It just shows that he thought he was worth more than he really was and that's how he's painted himself in the corner he's in now.

Nailed it. He made his money and was able to stay around the ranch for a guaranteed term. Looks like he will be farming full time now.

Lanny_McDonald
09-28-2015, 09:24 AM
Sad to see a player screw himself over like this. Should have taken the offer from the Flames last year. Better to have that guaranteed money long term than find himself in the situation he finds himself now.

Poe969
09-28-2015, 09:26 AM
Well hopefully this humbles him a little and he bounces back. I think he could be a decent fit on some teams, he just has to think less and play more.

Bingo
09-28-2015, 09:30 AM
would sure be interesting to know what the Flames offered him last year. I'm guessing something similar to Raymond's 3x3 deal.

Yikes.

VladtheImpaler
09-28-2015, 09:34 AM
would sure be interesting to know what the Flames offered him last year. I'm guessing something similar to Raymond's 3x3 deal.

Yikes.

Yeah, dodged a big bullet there. Good thing he gave up the boat for door #3 because, you know, it could be a boat...

Fighting Banana Slug
09-28-2015, 09:34 AM
Turning UFA isn't the mother load it once was (unless you are at the top of the game). Still can't believe he wouldn't help some team, but as stated earlier, teams are likely to give a young guy a chance with likely a lower cap hit and more upside.

Locke
09-28-2015, 09:37 AM
I cant imagine that he honestly thought he was in for a hefty payday at 32.

Thats typically when the journeymen type really start dropping off.

calgaryblood
09-28-2015, 09:40 AM
I still think a few weeks into the season when injuries pile up for a team he'll get a shot. But probably at close to $1 million on a 1 year deal. Don't think this is the end of the road for him.

shermanator
09-28-2015, 09:51 AM
Have to think if he doesn't sign somewhere by December this is the end of the line for Glencross. He's made 8 figures in earnings and can get back to ranching full time, which he clearly loves. Not a bad gig at 33 years of age.

FBI
09-28-2015, 10:19 AM
Sounds like major fail by his agent here.. Surprised he hasn't ditched the agent yet.

Erick Estrada
09-28-2015, 10:22 AM
His career has come full circle in the last 8 years from undrafted UFA looking like career AHLer that bounced around a few organizations to a full time top 6 player and now back to a UFA guy bouncing around looking for work. Maybe a disappointing end to his career but regardless of what happens from now on he did pretty well considering where he was when he started.

drewtastic
09-28-2015, 10:55 AM
Yeah, dodged a big bullet there. Good thing he gave up the boat for door #3 because, you know, it could be a boat...

Immediately this came to mind.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CcG8z2OTAWs

jayswin
09-28-2015, 11:58 AM
I cant imagine that he honestly thought he was in for a hefty payday at 32.

Thats typically when the journeymen type really start dropping off.

He always thought of himself as a top 6 scorer.

neo45
09-28-2015, 12:01 PM
Can see him landing in Col after and injury or two. He played well with Iginla

killer_carlson
09-28-2015, 02:59 PM
With his community efforts he would be a great pickup for an expansion team as well.

Colour me shocked at this. I was certain he'd hit it big on the FA market. Clearly I was mistaken.

squiggs96
09-28-2015, 03:11 PM
Dean Molberg Verified account ‏@fan960boomer (https://twitter.com/fan960boomer) 7m7 minutes ago (https://twitter.com/fan960boomer/status/648604000363880448) Expect to see Curtis Glencross in the #Avalanche (https://twitter.com/hashtag/Avalanche?src=hash) lineup tomorrow night against the #Flames (https://twitter.com/hashtag/Flames?src=hash)

Flash Walken
09-28-2015, 03:14 PM
Dean Molberg Verified account ‏@fan960boomer (https://twitter.com/fan960boomer) 7m7 minutes ago (https://twitter.com/fan960boomer/status/648604000363880448) Expect to see Curtis Glencross in the #Avalanche (https://twitter.com/hashtag/Avalanche?src=hash) lineup tomorrow night against the #Flames (https://twitter.com/hashtag/Flames?src=hash)
And the plot thickens.

Locke
09-28-2015, 03:18 PM

Looks like they're getting the band back together, I think Sarich is looking for a contract too!

Jay Random
09-28-2015, 03:19 PM
Looks like they're getting the band back together, I think Sarich is looking for a contract too!

dzOHq5WbQ8k

Featuring Jarome Iginla as Matt ‘Guitar’ Murphy!

northcrunk
09-28-2015, 03:23 PM
Somewhere along the way he started to think of himself as a top 6 skill forward which he was not. It was all downhill from there.

Super-Rye
09-28-2015, 03:24 PM
Good for Glencross. He is still a good player. Hopefully he can stick and have himself a good season.

My goodness, how many more former Flames will the Av's add?

Iginla
Tanguay
Glencross
Comeau
Stuart

That's almost a 1/4 of their roster.

Coach
09-28-2015, 03:32 PM
Yeah,

Can't see how the Avs are helping themselves with those types of moves.

Locke
09-28-2015, 03:37 PM
Good for Glencross. He is still a good player. Hopefully he can stick and have himself a good season.

Iginla
Tanguay
Glencross
Comeau
Stuart

Well, they could add Sarich, trade for Phaneuf and Bouwmeester, attempt to lure Regehr out of retirement and I think Dustin Boyd and Nigel Dawes are currently enjoying decent KHL careers but I'm sure they could be had for the right price

McElhinney is doing a PTO with the Wild, I'm sure he's available.

Oh, and Jim Vandermeer would probably do anything to get out of being an Edmonton based radio host...

Who else?

I'm sure guys like Eriksson and Zyuzin can't have much on the go.

Huntingwhale
09-28-2015, 03:39 PM
Often when a player signs a new contract, comparable contracts around the league are used as an argument as to why the player deserves that much money. Unfortunately I think this will be a text book case of why a player SHOULD NOT take a home town discount and squeeze the team for every dollar they can.

I think we are all kind of surprised at how Glencross still isn't signed. But I'm willing to bet that this will have an effect on players who are looking to sign somewhere, and their agents will bring up Glencross as an example as to why you never take a home town discount.

As a fan I'm grateful to Glencross for his time with the team and for taking that discount. As a capitalist, it was a dumb move. Sure he had to sacrifice the NTC to stay in Alberta. But in the end, he got traded anyways. Back when he signed, the team wasn't anywhere near a contender (even though management like to think we were). He absolutely should have gotten full value for his services. Probably north of 3mil, but at the time even 4 was fair for him. Now he can't even make a team off a PTO.

Sucks for him. But he should have milked the team for all he could at the time. Most of us would have done the same. In the end, you have to look out for yourself.

Finger Cookin
09-28-2015, 03:43 PM
McElhinney is doing a PTO with the Wild, I'm sure he's available.
That's Irving. McElhinney is on a two year deal with the Blue Jackets.

Jay Random
09-28-2015, 03:46 PM

Iginla
Tanguay
Glencross
Comeau
Stuart

Don't forget Berra. Not that there's a lot to forget, but still…

Azhouse
09-28-2015, 03:47 PM

^^^^ I think Poe969 summed it up eloquently in that he might have forgone a few bucks for a contract close to home with a NTC. Everyone constantly brings up this huge home town discount but it was value for both sides. Curtis Glencross has never been more than a 3-4 line player.

Erick Estrada
09-28-2015, 03:47 PM

Iginla
Tanguay
Glencross
Comeau
Stuart

Obviously the Avs are trying to recreate the magic of the 2010-2013 Flames teams.

thymebalm
09-28-2015, 03:51 PM
That's Irving. McElhinney is on a two year deal with the Blue Jackets.

Besides they have Berra already.

GioforPM
09-28-2015, 03:54 PM
Where's Derek Smith and Chris Butler?

Geeoff
09-28-2015, 03:57 PM
I hope they bring Kipper back too!

Azhouse
09-28-2015, 04:02 PM
Can they bring Sven in for a 5 game emergency call-up from Vancouver's farm club?

...or just grab him off waivers in a week.

Jay Random
09-28-2015, 04:04 PM
I hear Olli Jokinen is looking for a job. Also, he could save them money on the national anthems, because his cat does singing.

saillias
09-28-2015, 04:18 PM
They need to make a trade for Cammalleri as well. Maybe give Rene Bourque a PTO. Then they're set.

Locke
09-28-2015, 04:22 PM
They need to make a trade for Cammalleri as well. Maybe give Rene Bourque a PTO. Then they're set.

Set for what?

Ozy_Flame
09-28-2015, 04:25 PM
Set for what?

Darryl Sutter's inevitable unveiling as Colorado's head coach and GM.

Stay Golden
09-28-2015, 04:38 PM
Good to see Glencross get another try out or did he land a 1 year deal with the Avs?

saXon
09-28-2015, 04:57 PM
Besides they have Berra already.

Yeah, and that landed us Big Rig. Thanks Roy. :cool:

killer_carlson
09-28-2015, 04:59 PM
Glencross at a reasonable contract (1 year "Prove It" contract) is an awesome addition to the Avs.

jaikorven
09-28-2015, 05:13 PM
Can someone confirm that it indeed was a contract with the Avs?

AC
09-28-2015, 05:23 PM
Can someone confirm that it indeed was a contract with the Avs?

Just a PTO.

@FriedgeHNIC
Curtis Glencross will join COL on a PTO.

Flash Walken
09-28-2015, 06:02 PM
dzOHq5WbQ8k

Featuring Jarome Iginla as Matt ‘Guitar’ Murphy!

David Moss could be "Blu" Lou Marini

JiriHrdina
09-28-2015, 07:17 PM
That's probably why he got released early. If the Leafs knew he was in tough cut him loose to find a job elsewhere

Vinny01
09-28-2015, 07:27 PM
So the Avs continue to load up on former flames from the 07-12 roster. Iginla, Tanguay, Comeau, Stuart, now Glencross.

btimbit
09-28-2015, 07:51 PM
A long as they're loading up on former Flames they can have Raymond too

OldDutch
09-28-2015, 10:13 PM
So the Avs continue to load up on former flames from the 07-12 roster. Iginla, Tanguay, Comeau, Stuart, now Glencross.

Technically that is a playoff roster. Kind of like all those "20+ goal scorers" that Flames edition had.

nik-
09-28-2015, 11:11 PM

Enjoy that, Avs fans.

crapshoot
09-29-2015, 12:17 AM

How on earth did Sakic allow Robyn Regehr to retire?

Mr.Coffee
09-29-2015, 12:30 AM
The more old floaty Flames picked up by Colorado the better. There's been some bad times as Flames fans but the final couple years of non-compete by that group before the Iginla trade was definitely a rough patch for me as a fan.

Madrox
09-29-2015, 01:59 AM
The more old floaty Flames picked up by Colorado the better. There's been some bad times as Flames fans but the final couple years of non-compete by that group before the Iginla trade was definitely a rough patch for me as a fan.

I honestly think I enjoyed watching the Brian Sutter era Flames more. Even though they were probably the worst teams we ever iced, they put in an effort every night.

TjRhythmic
09-29-2015, 03:36 AM
I honestly think I enjoyed watching the Brian Sutter era Flames more. Even though they were probably the worst teams we ever iced, they put in an effort every night.

More then Hartley's Flames?

Vinny01
09-29-2015, 03:05 PM
There is a Francis article on Sportsnet about Glencross and his expectations July 1 was to receive a 4 year $17M deal ($4.25 per)

Locke
09-29-2015, 03:06 PM
There is a Francis article on Sportsnet about Glencross and his expectations July 1 was to receive a 4 year $17M deal ($4.25 per)

http://i.imgur.com/FGqiJK4.jpg

Tron_fdc
09-29-2015, 03:09 PM
Listening to Friedman this AM (I think it was him?) he mentioned that the reason Glencross wasn't getting interest was because he isn't a top 6 player. That being said, the bottom 6 is now being filled by younger, cheaper, faster players, so why sign him to 4 mill (larf) when you can get a cheap player that can do relatively the same thing, and is on a 2 way contract.

This would appear to also be the problem with Raymond. He's not a top 6 player, and he's holding up the development of guys like Granlund. GTFO Raymond.

tvp2003
09-30-2015, 11:49 AM
Not sure if it was mentioned but they showed a "Welcome back Curtis Glencross" graphic on the jumbotron during a stoppage in play last night. Glennie got a nice ovation from the crowd, which he acknowledged. The PA announcer made reference to his 7 seasons in Calgary as well as his community/charity work in the area.

Huntingwhale
09-30-2015, 12:03 PM

I don't know/care who Glencross' agent is, but Curtis should have fired him long ago after he took below market value for his last contract.

If Glencross would have had a great run with the Caps last year, he could have potentially scored a contract close to that. If his goal during game 6 would have counted as the game winner, that would have helped his case also. The Caps were expected to make a decent run and unfortunately things didnt' work out. Glencross was scratched a couple times. He ended up in the end being the goat in game 6 after his give away. And he played 4th line minutes.

I hope he can find his wheels again, but sadly those days are numbered.

Crazy to think the Avs have all those former Flames, who were once upon a time all in their prime with the Flames, yet had pretty much no team success. Now they are all 5 years older, but on the same team yet again. At least that bodes well for where the Flames will stand at seasons end.

habernac
09-30-2015, 12:18 PM
He seemed like a nice dude, but his mental lapses on the ice.... ugh.

Poe969
09-30-2015, 12:24 PM
Can someone please explain to me how his contract with the Flames was a hometown discount? Honestly, I don't know why people keep calling it that. It wasn't like he went from a 9 million dollar contract to a 6 million dollar contract, he left a little money on the table to get a full NTC or NMC or whatever and he got term. He was not ever good enough to get top dollar, term and an NTC.

Great guy and all and valued his time here when he contributed but people are making him out to be a saint or something for all the money he left on the table with that huge hometown discount he gave the Flames.

dino7c
09-30-2015, 12:28 PM
Can someone please explain to me how his contract with the Flames was a hometown discount? Honestly, I don't know why people keep calling it that. It wasn't like he went from a 9 million dollar contract to a 6 million dollar contract, he left a little money on the table to get a full NTC or NMC or whatever and he got term. He was not ever good enough to get top dollar, term and an NTC.

Great guy and all and valued his time here when he contributed but people are making him out to be a saint or something for all the money he left on the table with that huge hometown discount he gave the Flames.

yeah, the numbers he had here were inflated due to the guys he was playing with...not many teams would have given him PP time, top line time, even top six would have been a stretch elsewhere.

He probably could have gone out and signed some big deal...he would have likely been bought out as well

Strange Brew
09-30-2015, 12:50 PM

This sounds preposterous obviously in hindsight but I am willing to wager that at some point last season, the Flames offered Glencross at least a $3x3 contract, or maybe even a $3x4. I have no proof obviously but we did hear they were talking contract.

Its my belief the Flames dodged a bullet and Glencross made a huge blunder. Although I do think it was his play with the Capitals that ultimately doomed him.

I like the guy more than most on here and would like to see him earn a nice payday with the Avs.

Cali Panthers Fan
09-30-2015, 12:57 PM
"Hey, this Glencross thread keeps getting bumped to the top. I wonder if he earned a contract with someone or was released?"

*click....scroll....scroll...scroll...scroll...sig h*

Nope, just the same arguments about Glencross' value that have been going on for the past 3-4 years. Honestly people, unless you're bringing something new to a discussion about Glencross...just stop. It's making my eyes bleed.

Poe969
09-30-2015, 12:59 PM
Lol then stay the heck out of the Kane rape investigation thread. Every day I'm not sure if he's been charged, found not guilty or accused of raping someone else. Instead it's people arguing about who knows more about the law. At least this one is hockey related lol.

What was Glencross' last contract?

Cali Panthers Fan
09-30-2015, 01:02 PM
Lol then stay the heck out of the Kane rape investigation thread. Every day I'm not sure if he's been charged, found not guilty or accused of raping someone else. Instead it's people arguing about who knows more about the law. At least this one is hockey related lol.

What was Glencross' last contract?

Ugh...no worries, I haven't touched that thread with a 10 foot pole for weeks. I knew that if something significant had happened there would be an update in the thread title or a brand new thread.

And yes, this one is hockey related, but it's about hockey that happened years ago and a player that is no longer on the Flames. I don't know why people can't just let it go.

Poe969
09-30-2015, 01:11 PM
Ok, what was Glencross' last contract? and what do people realistically think he could or should have got on the open market?

Phanuthier
09-30-2015, 01:39 PM
Crazy to think the Avs have all those former Flames, who were once upon a time all in their prime with the Flames, yet had pretty much no team success. Now they are all 5 years older, but on the same team yet again. At least that bodes well for where the Flames will stand at seasons end.
Even crazier to think many people last year thought they were the "best young team in the NHL"

sureLoss
09-30-2015, 01:40 PM
Mike Chambers @MikeChambers
Curtis Glencross says originally chose PTO in TOR over #Avs b/c exposure, including preseason TV. But better suited in COL, closer to CAL

GioforPM
09-30-2015, 01:42 PM
Curtis Glencross says originally chose PTO in TOR over #Avs b/c exposure, including preseason TV. But better suited in COL, closer to CAL

"I totally wanted to be released from Toronto so I could play here".

Colorado may be physically closer to Calgary, but travel is a lot easier from Toronto to Calgary methinks.

edslunch
09-30-2015, 01:50 PM
Even crazier to think many people last year thought they were the "best young team in the NHL"

What the heck are they doing there?

Huntingwhale

Glencross himself said he left money on the table. Therefore he took a discount.

“If I could do it again … as much as I love (Calgary) and call it home and met great people, at the same time, when it’s time for you to cash in, you have to take advantage and cash in. You can’t take a pay-cut or hometown discount because things change.”

So it doesn't matter if you, I, or anybody else thinks it wasn't a discount. By the players admission, it was. The amount is something that only those involved in the negotiation know. But I don't know why people keep saying he didn't take one. He did. He said so himself. Unless you think he's lying.

Point Blank

I think the real reason is Glencross just has a better chance making the leafs than Avs

codynw
09-30-2015, 01:52 PM
I like the guy more than most on here and would like to see him earn a nice payday with the Avs.

A player on his 2nd PTO is not getting a nice big contract. If he earns a contract at all, it'll be one year at or near league minimum.

nik-
09-30-2015, 01:55 PM
"Hey, this Glencross thread keeps getting bumped to the top. I wonder if he earned a contract with someone or was released?"

Nope, just the same arguments about Glencross' value that have been going on for the past 3-4 years. Honestly people, unless you're bringing something new to a discussion about Glencross...just stop. It's making my eyes bleed.

thoughts and prayers

GioforPM
09-30-2015, 01:55 PM
Glencross himself said he left money on the table. Therefore he took a discount.

So it doesn't matter if you, I, or anybody else thinks it wasn't a discount. By the players admission, it was. The amount is something that only those involved in the negotiation know. But I don't know why people keep saying he didn't take one. He did. He said so himself. Unless you think he's lying.

He could be fooling himself, not lying. Perhaps the Flames didn;t think it was a discount (considering the NMC and term).

Poe969
09-30-2015, 02:02 PM

By his admission it was a discount but by his admission he also thought he'd get a 4 year 17 million dollar deal so you have to take that into consideration. He clearly over values himself and maybe he thought he could have got 6 million on his last contract but did the Flames a favour.

Realistically though, did he leave money on the table or did the Flames say you can have this much or you can have this much with a NTC.

I still don't know what his last contract was. I know it wasn't that out of whack with what other players of his skillset were making.

saillias
09-30-2015, 02:09 PM

Agreed very sick of reading about it. Here's some news:

Roy promised Glencross he will play with Duchene and Iginla

http://www.calgarysun.com/2015/09/30/glencross-gets-invite-from-avs

Huntingwhale
09-30-2015, 02:12 PM
His last one was 4y/10.2mil. That contract started in 2011. So his numbers the year before (his contract year 2010-2011) was 24g-19a-43pts. Other wingers within range that year include:

Penner
D. Jones
E. Kane
Bertuzzi
Neal

Too lazy to look up what their pay was that season but I'm sure some players were over, some were under. I just remember the universal consensus at the time was that it was a steal of a contract. One of the best in the league for a guy who could potentially score 30g, yet was often injured.

mrdonkey
09-30-2015, 02:12 PM
Agreed very sick of reading about it. Here's some news:

Alex Tanguay trade request incoming.

Strange Brew
09-30-2015, 02:16 PM
A player on his 2nd PTO is not getting a nice big contract. If he earns a contract at all, it'll be one year at or near league minimum.

I hear you. Guess what I'm saying is that I'd like to see him continue his NHL career for a while. $1m/year is not exactly chump change.

Resolute 14
09-30-2015, 02:17 PM
That is rather silly on Roy's part.

Derek Wills talked about Glencross in the pre-game last night, and he made a lot of sense in arguing how Glencross is a better fit in Colorado than Toronto because Toronto was looking for a top line forward - which Curtis simply isn't anymore - but the Avs need depth scoring. That is something he can provide. But still, not on the first line.

Poe969
09-30-2015, 02:19 PM
His last one was 4y/10.2mil. That contract started in 2011. So his numbers the year before (his contract year 2010-2011) was 24g-19a-43pts. Other wingers within range that year include:

Penner
D. Jones
E. Kane
Bertuzzi
Neal

Too lazy to look up what their pay was that season but I'm sure some players were over, some were under. I just remember the universal consensus at the time was that it was a steal of a contract. One of the best in the league for a guy who could potentially score 30g, yet was often injured.

So it was a decent contract for both sides. If other people are signing for the same, around the same or less then you're not that far off market value.

Flash Walken
09-30-2015, 02:20 PM

Penner
D. Jones
E. Kane
Bertuzzi
Neal

It's not like he couldn't have gone elsewhere to get big money, but he didn't want to go elsewhere, he wanted to stay in Calgary. That and the no trade clause he received, which was valuable to him right up to the end, was why he 'took a discount'.

It's absurd to think because The Rangers would pay you 5 million that you deserve 5 million from the Flames.

If I work in Oil and Gas logistics, that doesn't mean I should get oil and gas wages if I switch to Fruit and Vegetable logistics. The world doesn't work that way.

If I'm a teacher in New Brunswick and I want to make Alberta teacher wages, well, guess where I have to move to?

sureLoss
09-30-2015, 04:23 PM
Avs have cut their roster to 26. Looks very likely Glencross will make the team.

dammage79
09-30-2015, 04:37 PM
Cool. glad Glencross ended up somewhere. Even if it is with the Colorado Flames.

RichKlit
09-30-2015, 04:59 PM
Glad to hear it! He is a great guy and I'm sure he's got some gas left in tank.

AcGold
09-30-2015, 06:07 PM
The Avs are just taking all our past players. Sarich and Mcgrattan will be suiting up in no time

Stealth22
09-30-2015, 07:58 PM

Good to see Glennie get a shot at a contract. I wasn't a fan of his play towards the end, but we easily forget that hockey players are people too. Glencross is a great guy, and he did a lot of things for the community here. I met him at Costco once when he was injured. We only talked briefly, but he seemed nice enough.

Unrelated, but...in what world does Francis think that Glencross drove from NW Calgary to the Dome in 10 minutes? Maybe in a Ferrari...with a CPS escort...

badger89
09-30-2015, 08:09 PM
I don't know/care who Glencross' agent is, but Curtis should have fired him long ago after he took below market value for his last contract.

If Glencross would have had a great run with the Caps last year, he could have potentially scored a contract close to that. If his goal during game 6 would have counted as the game winner, that would have helped his case also. The Caps were expected to make a decent run and unfortunately things didnt' work out. Glencross was scratched a couple times. He ended up in the end being the goat in game 6 after his give away. And he played 4th line minutes.

I hope he can find his wheels again, but sadly those days are numbered.

Not sure if true but I heard that Glencross used the same agent as Kelly Sutherland.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Don Benji
09-30-2015, 08:22 PM
Unrelated, but...in what world does Francis think that Glencross drove from NW Calgary to the Dome in 10 minutes? Maybe in a Ferrari...with a CPS escort...

Nah, he's right. Without traffic it's done in 10min. Keep in mind there are inner city areas that are still NW. You're thinking Tuscany, Royal Oak etc. Think Parkdale, Hillhurst, Kensington, Houndsfield...

sureLoss
10-05-2015, 11:12 AM
Guess he didn't make the team:

Terry Frei @TFrei
At Avs: Glencross has been released from PTO, team confirms

sureLoss
10-05-2015, 11:13 AM
double post

shogged
10-05-2015, 11:14 AM
Ouch lol

CroFlames
10-05-2015, 11:15 AM
Wow, I'm legitimately shocked that Glencross couldn't find NHL work.

Having said that, he was never getting the big payday after he pooped the bed in WSH.

The Fonz
10-05-2015, 11:15 AM
Wow... Has there ever been a player in history, valued as highly as Glencross was at the trade deadline, who can not even get a league minimum contract the following season?

Coach
10-05-2015, 11:17 AM
Yeah, damn. Never in a million years did I think he was worth some of the numbers being thrown around, but not even a 1 year league min contract? Seems crazy.

Locke
10-05-2015, 11:19 AM
No kidding. I cant believe he cant get anything.

mikephoen
10-05-2015, 11:27 AM
Maybe he would like to be our 13th forward for 1M? He did have 13 goals and 35 points last year, and is well liked in the Flames room.

Erick Estrada
10-05-2015, 11:28 AM
It's a young man's game and I don't think you are going to see as many bottom six guys playing deep into their 30's as teams will attempt to use players from their system to fill those roles.

Poe969
10-05-2015, 11:29 AM
NO! It's over. The team was better without him and will be better yet. If he's not good enough for the leafs, or Avs then he's not good enough for the Flames.

Since he can't find an NHL contract, do you think he'd go to the KHL or would he be forced to go to edmonton?

Locke
10-05-2015, 11:29 AM
Maybe he would like to be our 13th forward for 1M? He did have 13 goals and 35 points last year, and is well liked in the Flames room.

I dont think he'd be all that well liked on a 1-year $1M deal. I think you'd get a very sour and pissed off Scoreface for that.

You and I may think: 'hey, thats better than nothing.'

But he would likely take it as an insult.

I'm still not sure that hes at the point where hes taking that, his lack of a contract may still be the result of his demands/opinions/expectations being a bit too high.

CroFlames
10-05-2015, 11:30 AM

I'm not sure Glencross would "buy in" to the Flames new system of hard work (See Bollig thread).

It would send the wrong message if he was signed on as #13 after essentially getting cut from 2 non-playoff teams.

bax
10-05-2015, 11:32 AM
I dont think he'd be all that well liked on a 1-year $1M deal. I think you'd get a very sour and pissed off Scoreface for that.

You and I may think: 'hey, thats better than nothing.'

But he would likely take it as an insult.

I'm still not sure that hes at the point where hes taking that, his lack of a contract may still be the result of his demands/opinions/expectations being a bit too high.

What a load of rubbish. The guy just got cut from two non playoff teams and by all accounts is a pretty humble guy. I don't want the Flames to sign him either, but to think he would be insulted by a million dollar contract is ridiculous

Coach
10-05-2015, 11:36 AM
I don't think he fits here, but there have to be SOME teams that can fit a <$1m 1 year deal for a bonafide top-9 winger.

Locke
10-05-2015, 11:39 AM
What a load of rubbish. The guy just got cut from two non playoff teams and by all accounts is a pretty humble guy. I don't want the Flames to sign him either, but to think he would be insulted by a million dollar contract is ridiculous

Whats ridiculous is to blindly believe that if he was willing to accept that contract that 0 of 30 teams have seen fit to offer it.

SuperMatt18
10-05-2015, 11:42 AM
I do wonder if what Locke is saying may be true.

By all accounts it looked like he had made the team in Colorado, maybe when it came to contract terms he wasn't prepared to accept the "show me" contract and they couldn't come to terms.

I agree with Locke in that you have to think some team has offered him $1 million for 1 year, it's more likely he just hasn't accepted it.

Street Pharmacist
10-05-2015, 11:47 AM
With all the failed PTOs and depth vets waived, what does this do to the playoff rental market? It was super weak due to the increasing importance of draft picks, so I'm gonna guess only top 6 forwards and top 4 D move this deadline. Gonna be super, super dead

D as in David
10-05-2015, 11:48 AM
And now we've added Freddie for no reason!

Da_Chief
10-05-2015, 11:51 AM
Avs lied to us. They promised us if take Freddie they'd give Glenny a contract. Liars! I never wana speak to them again.

dino7c
10-05-2015, 11:53 AM
so much Glencross denial around here lol

Guy isn't good enough

Flash Walken
10-05-2015, 11:55 AM
With all the failed PTOs and depth vets waived, what does this do to the playoff rental market? It was super weak due to the increasing importance of draft picks, so I'm gonna guess only top 6 forwards and top 4 D move this deadline. Gonna be super, super dead

It just means selling teams will have to be more resolute in their dealings.

Walking away from a Glencross for a 2nd and a 3rd was a home run.

At this point, I can't even tell what was a better deal, Berra for a 2nd, Baertschi for a 2nd or Glencross for a 2nd and a 3rd.

Robo
10-05-2015, 11:58 AM
Avs lied to us. They promised us if take Freddie they'd give Glenny a contract. Liars! I never wana speak to them again.

pay back for the ROR offer sheet