PDA

View Full Version : Watching flames overseas

Sheva #7
09-07-2015, 05:20 PM
Hi guys,

I will be moving away to Middle East in the next month or so, any advise as what the best way is to follow flames games? Obviously with the time difference, would be great if there was a way to watch the recorded game from some website on my laptop? (don't mind paying if needed).

Thanks

Jayems
09-07-2015, 05:36 PM
NHL GameCenter allows you to watch recorded games. Also, allows you to watch a condescend 10-15 minute version. $180 CAD for early bird if you buy before Oct. 1. Trying it out for myself this year finally.

Vulcan
09-07-2015, 06:01 PM
I'd look into it a little more before subscribing to Game Centre as it may not work where you are going.

MIDDLE EAST (including TURKEY, CYPRUS and ISRAEL) -- Fox Sports has secured the rights to show live NHL games per week on fee-to-air, pay and cable/satellite channels, as well as online for the next three seasons in the Middle East.
http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=598643

http://www.nhl.com/ice/page.htm?id=74583

Buck
09-07-2015, 06:10 PM
Buy a sling box and see if a friend will let you hook it up at their house. http://www.slingbox.com

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

driveway
09-07-2015, 07:26 PM
I've been watching pretty much every single game via GameCentre since I moved to Asia. Getting to see the games is great, but GameCentre has some little quirks that absolutely drive me up the wall. Specifically: the bar at the bottom showing how much time is left in the video, totally ruining the "will there/won't there be overtime suspense." Or the fact that, even when your profile is set to "do not show scores" god forbid you have to access the help page for GC, because it will totally show you the scores. Boy did I yell at some poor shmoe in Quebec that day.

On the whole I'm pretty happy with GC and really looking forward to how it improves with the involvement of MLBAM. If it starts to approach how good the NBA version is it will be very, very good indeed.

But yeah, on the whole, GCLive is the way to go to watch games overseas.

FBI
09-07-2015, 07:46 PM
Yup I noticed that will there/won't there be OT issue too.

JD
09-07-2015, 09:41 PM
Game Centre is your thing.

I live in the UAE and the streaming is perfect. I watch it on my Apple TV or PS4 and it's as good or better quality than watching on Shaw/Bell/Telus back home.

As for timing, there is no Daylight Savings Time here, so for the first (and last) bit of the season, home games start at 5 am and after standard time starts, they start at 6 am. Of course, it depends on what part of the Middle East you'll be in, but that's UAE.

expatflame
09-07-2015, 10:06 PM
Subscribe to a VPN service and you can watch Gamecenter anywhere

FireGilbert
09-08-2015, 12:09 AM
I've been watching pretty much every single game via GameCentre since I moved to Asia. Getting to see the games is great, but GameCentre has some little quirks that absolutely drive me up the wall. Specifically: the bar at the bottom showing how much time is left in the video, totally ruining the "will there/won't there be overtime suspense." Or the fact that, even when your profile is set to "do not show scores" god forbid you have to access the help page for GC, because it will totally show you the scores. Boy did I yell at some poor shmoe in Quebec that day.

On the whole I'm pretty happy with GC and really looking forward to how it improves with the involvement of MLBAM. If it starts to approach how good the NBA version is it will be very, very good indeed.

But yeah, on the whole, GCLive is the way to go to watch games overseas.

lol, good rant, I totally agree with this. I couldn't live without GCL but it does have a lot of issues.

That bar showing the time remaining definitely ruined a few Flames comebacks for me this past season. The worst was when Brodie scored with 2 seconds left in OT to beat the Bruins. I could tell from the video bar that there was not enough time for a shootout so I knew someone had to score in the final seconds. It was still an unbelievable goal though.

combustiblefuel
09-08-2015, 03:07 AM
I like GCL. If you watch it over a xbox or ps that bar dose not show up. Its the best way IMO to watch using GLC all oyher platforms that bar shows up.

TheCommodoreAfro
09-08-2015, 08:37 AM
Gamecenter.

Your only option but a good one. All the games - no blackouts. Works better than it does in North America by a long shot because of the no blackout stuff.

Can't do anything about the timezone stuff but the service is top notch.

Strange Brew
09-08-2015, 09:58 AM
I have a question about GCL. I live in the US and subscribe to Center Ice through Direct TV. I like center Ice because of the PVR functionality with the TV. I can start watching the game after work, well after it has started. Living down here, there is no chance of inadvertently hearing the score.

However this option doesn't work great when I travel which is fairly often. Does GCL have the same kind of functionality if you aren't watching the game live? Pause, rewind etc.? Do you have to wait until the game is over to start watching recorded version?

FBI
09-08-2015, 12:05 PM
Brew yup you can do all that stuff and watch it like an hour behind etc.

CroFlames
09-08-2015, 12:11 PM
I have a question about GCL. I live in the US and subscribe to Center Ice through Direct TV. I like center Ice because of the PVR functionality with the TV. I can start watching the game after work, well after it has started. Living down here, there is no chance of inadvertently hearing the score.

However this option doesn't work great when I travel which is fairly often. Does GCL have the same kind of functionality if you aren't watching the game live? Pause, rewind etc.? Do you have to wait until the game is over to start watching recorded version?

I'm switching this year from CI to GCL because in my region (SoCal) most Flames games were broadcast in standard def.

FBI
09-08-2015, 01:16 PM
Yeah I can't really think of any good reason to have CenterIce over GameCenterLive.. I used to have both at one time. Maybe if you are terrible with computers and just like to watch TV.

greentree
09-08-2015, 04:02 PM
I will subscribe to GCL for a third consecutive season. I was apprehensive this time last year, with Rogers taking over, its mediocre customer support and a price jump, but having every game at my fingertips was worth the almost 200 bones. A Canadian subscription address, but I watched the first rd playoffs while in Italy, with no issues whatsoever. Also, watched some early season games in Hong Kong, no problems there either. I prefer to watch via iPad.

SoulOfTheFlame
09-08-2015, 04:14 PM
Game Center!

If not available in your region, get a VPN ... then... GAME CENTER!