PDA

View Full Version : 2015 CIS Football Thread

tvp2003
09-04-2015, 02:21 PM
Didn't see one so I thought I'd start it...

Blake Nill returns to Calgary tonight as the coach of the UBC Thunderbirds. In an exhibition game, UBC stomped Laval 41-16 (!). UBC is led by quarterback Michael O'Connor, an Ottawa native who played high school football in Florida and redshirted at Penn State last year before transferring to UBC.

The Dinos are led by reigning Hec Crighton winner, Andrew Buckley. The returning QB was a late round draft pick by the Stamps and did not look out of place during training camp this summer. Quite possible these are the two top teams in Canada West, and the two top QB's in the country going at it tonight.

Unfortunately, weather forecast doesn't look great (which is probably why we won't go -- domed stadium anyone?!?) but I believe it is being streamed online as well...

Joborule
09-05-2015, 09:07 AM
Dinos stomped on the Tbirds last night. Good first win for the new coach. About 4K made it to the game last night as well. So good on those braving the weather.

EverfresH15
09-05-2015, 11:42 AM
Was pretty excited to see that my gf's cousin got his first touchdown last night and it was the punt return for 110yards.

JBR
09-05-2015, 05:50 PM
Dino wins - 1.
UBC - Nill

Johnny199r
09-05-2015, 10:52 PM
Dinos stomped on the Tbirds last night. Good first win for the new coach. About 4K made it to the game last night as well. So good on those braving the weather.

I went to St Mary's when Blake Nill was the coach there and they won 2 Vanier Cups. The team slowly deteriorated after he left when his long time assistant took over. I expect the same thing to happen at U of C, sorry enjoy this year, before it starts to happen here. Nill just has the golden touch.

craigwd
09-05-2015, 11:30 PM
It all depends on recruiting. Dinos still have a good rep.

troutman
09-07-2015, 06:23 PM
Western has 33 point lead over York, after one quarter.

M*A*S*H 4077
09-07-2015, 06:34 PM
Harris is a great coach too. Team might rely more on their defence than in past years but that is his specialty

Bobblehead
09-08-2015, 01:06 PM
Western has 33 point lead over York, after one quarter.

Same old York.

troutman
09-09-2015, 01:24 PM
http://www.cfl.ca/article/laval-new-number-one-in-cis-rankings#

1. Laval (1-0) 285 (20) 2 2. Calgary (1-0) 241 (6) 4 3. Western (2-0) 239 (3) 3 4. Montreal (0-1) 235 1 5. Guelph (2-0) 156 (1) 6 6. Manitoba (1-0) 144 10 7. McMaster (1-0) 144 5 8. Mt. Allison (0-0) 52 9 9. Saskatchewan (0-1) 43 8 10. UBC (0-1) 41 7

dash_pinched
09-12-2015, 05:57 PM
Dinos 2-0 after a big win yesterday against the Manitoba Bisons (46-38). Mercer Timmis had a pretty good day running the ball (276 yards on 21 carries to go with 3 TDs)

troutman
09-16-2015, 10:23 AM
Calgary Dinos lead new CIS Rankings
http://www.cfl.ca/article/calgary-dinos-lead-new-cis-rankings

1. Calgary (2-0) 274 (13) 2 2. Laval (2-0) 272 (14) 1 3. Western (3-0) 253 (3) 3 4. Montreal (1-1) 213 4 5. Guelph (3-0) 162 5 6. McMaster (2-0) 144 7 7. Manitoba (1-1) 114 6 8. Mt. Allison (1-0) 86 8 9. Sherbrooke (1-1) 48 - 10. UBC (1-1) 39 10

For their part, the Dinos defend their No. 1 status on Thursday night when they host provincial rival Alberta (7 p.m. MT on Shaw TV, Access and CanadaWest.TV).

dash_pinched
09-17-2015, 10:28 PM
Dinos thrash the Golden Bears 80-18 - Three different players have 100+ yards rushing and Calgary comes 25 yards shy of 1000 yards of total offense in the game.

Wowza.

troutman
09-18-2015, 09:35 AM
Edmonton is no good.

VladtheImpaler
09-18-2015, 11:37 AM
Dinos thrash the Golden Bears 80-18 - Three different players have 100+ yards rushing and Calgary comes 25 yards shy of 1000 yards of total offense in the game.

Wowza.

Wow. That reminds of when I went to Varsity Stadium in 1986 to watch Western v UT. It might have been 84-7 or so...

troutman
09-18-2015, 11:40 AM
Wow. That reminds of when I went to Varsity Stadium in 1986 to watch Western v UT. It might have been 84-7 or so...

Did you see UT's Lady Godiva Marching Band? Engineering students who used the instruments to smuggle booze into the stadium.

VladtheImpaler
09-18-2015, 11:46 AM
Did you see UT's Lady Godiva Marching Band? Engineering students who used the instruments to smuggle booze into the stadium.

I was a part of it! Well, an adjunct part, as I can't play anything, but I did drink.

dash_pinched
09-26-2015, 07:01 PM
Another Saturday, another big win for the Dinos. This week, a 72-8 stomping of the Regina Rams.

troutman
09-26-2015, 07:06 PM
These blowouts happen because people can't tackle.

Joborule
09-27-2015, 04:35 PM
Defense in the Canada West is complete ####e.

Radically Red
09-28-2015, 09:26 AM
is this maybe why we don't do so well at the Vanier?

Cant see rolling over teams that are not great on D helping us when we face a team from the East that does have a good D.

Seems to be the same almost every year(outside of last year of course)

Joborule
09-28-2015, 01:37 PM
is this maybe why we don't do so well at the Vanier?

Cant see rolling over teams that are not great on D helping us when we face a team from the East that does have a good D.

Seems to be the same almost every year(outside of last year of course)

Would be fair to assume it's a factor. The Dinos don't get conditioned throughout the season to compete against defences that aren't pushovers, so when they face a team that has a defense that can hold their own, they have to win by grinding it out, and they haven't got that much experience in those types of games. Granted the last time they were in the Vanier Cup, they did have a chance till late in the game to still win the championship.

Top Canada West defensive recruits obviously want to go Dinos, so it's not easy for the other schools to get these players, but they've gotta find ways for the better of the conference. (Which would indirectly be beneficial to the Dinos)

dash_pinched
10-04-2015, 06:56 PM
Dinos slowing down, only won by 40 points (59-19) against the Saskatchewan Huskies yesterday at McMahon Stadium.

JBR
10-06-2015, 03:57 PM
20 years since the last Vanier Cup victory. If they don't get it done this year, they may never again.

tvp2003
10-08-2015, 10:07 AM
20 years since the last Vanier Cup victory. If they don't get it done this year, they may never again.

This year would be a real good year to do it. 5th year QB, Laval could be beatable, and UBC won't be there for another year or two at the very least under Nill.

JBR
10-08-2015, 10:09 AM
This year would be a real good year to do it. 5th year QB, Laval could be beatable, and UBC won't be there for another year or two at the very least under Nill.

Plus.. Laval would play Western in the semi. Dinos don't have to go through both to win the Vanier.

transplant99
11-01-2015, 08:01 AM
Dinos finish up their season a perfect 8-0 which is impressive after the turmoil of last off season with the changes that occurred.

To say they dominated the West would be a vast understatement. They scored 471 points while giving up only 149. That's an average score of 59-19 in each game.

Andrew Buckley finishes the year setting a CIS record for passing yards just under 400 a game average, while throwing 19 TD's and 1 INT. In total time played he did all this in about 7 games.

It's a truly remarkable story that no one seems to be paying attention to in this city.

next week is the 1st round of playoffs and they will face Saskatchewan at McMahon who they beat 59-19 (coincidentally) and 44-15. game time 1:00 PM.

M*A*S*H 4077
11-01-2015, 10:22 AM
I've heard a few people in the Calgary football circles say Wayne Harris is one of the smartest football minds in the country. Appears that very well could be the case. The only question moving forward is how are his recruiting abilities, but seeing as he was a high school gym teacher/coach one would think that he is pretty connected in Calgary/Alberta minor football

Trojan97
11-02-2015, 12:09 AM
I've heard a few people in the Calgary football circles say Wayne Harris is one of the smartest football minds in the country. Appears that very well could be the case. The only question moving forward is how are his recruiting abilities, but seeing as he was a high school gym teacher/coach one would think that he is pretty connected in Calgary/Alberta minor football

Not only one of the smartest minds but an absolute gentleman and fantastic person as well as I have known Coach Harris for going on a decade. I will suspect that he will do just fine recruiting wise if he can get kids to buy into a more mature, quiet approach to the game. He's not a rah rah guy but he reflects the core values most important to life and running a successful football program. I think he is going to be a favourite of many parents which is huge to the recruiting process.

Drake
11-08-2015, 08:23 AM
Thought I would throw this in here, congrats to the Saskatoon Hilltops for winning their 5th Canadian Bowl Championship in 6 yrs yesterday after beating the Okanagan Sun. Simply put a dynasty.

dash_pinched
11-08-2015, 11:12 AM
Huskies gave the Dinos all they could handle yesterday, I think a stern test is a good thing going into the Hardy Cup game against former Dinos coach Blake Nill and UBC.

Zach
11-14-2015, 12:25 PM
Truly incredible what Nill has done with UBC. They were AWFUL the past few years.

Joborule
11-14-2015, 01:25 PM
Nill is a wizard.

troutman
11-14-2015, 01:44 PM
Dinos down at 11 at the half. Better come back today because Nill will make UBC even harder to beat in the coming years.

troutman
11-14-2015, 03:14 PM
Gave it away - fumbles and dropped ball in the end zone. Penalties. Missed FG.

Rejean31
11-14-2015, 03:19 PM
What a brutal last couple of minutes for the Dino's. Hope the Stamps take note and realize they can't just show up and expect a victory.

Joborule
11-14-2015, 03:20 PM
Another mistake driven defeat for Dinos in the Hardy Cup. Not going to be easier in the future with Nill making UBC a contender now.

Zach
11-14-2015, 03:21 PM
I honestly can't believe this turnaround. As a UBC Supporter I have seen some horrible teams that had no business of being in the playoffs. I haven't been following them close enough this year to see all the changes but Nill has obviously made a tremendous impact.

Johnny199r
11-14-2015, 03:26 PM
Blake Nill is worth his weight in gold to any university football program. U of C may have missed their window, because Nill is going to turn UBC into a Titan now.

Drake
11-14-2015, 03:35 PM
Montreal stays alive after blocking a field goal on the final play in the Dunsmore Cup to beat Laval 18-16. Montreal missed two field goals earlier in the 4th but got singles from them.

troutman
11-14-2015, 03:48 PM
All upsets today. Guelph beat Western, ST FX beat Mt. A.

dash_pinched
11-14-2015, 05:01 PM
Gave it away - fumbles and dropped ball in the end zone. Penalties. Missed FG.

UBC capitalized on too many Dinos mistakes. As an U of C graduate, this is very disappointing as I thought this was the year.

Julio
11-14-2015, 05:30 PM
Amazing difference from only 3 months ago...when the Dinos beat UBC in a game where the only drama was if the Dinos would get 1000 yards in offence.

M*A*S*H 4077
11-14-2015, 05:31 PM
Disappointed, but I'm really looking forward to watching Harris and Nill battle for Canada West supremacy in the coming years

tvp2003
11-14-2015, 08:49 PM
So what was the difference this time around? I heard the defence was pretty banged up -- warning signs last week against Sask and obviously again this week.

Yoho
11-21-2015, 07:34 PM
@cwuaa: FINAL: The @ubctbirds win the #UteckBowl 36-9 over @StFXAthletics. Next up...the @Carabins in the @VanierCup https://t.co/8ZxQVNrUJL

Drake
11-21-2015, 10:17 PM
Nill advances to his 9th Vanier Cup doing so on his 4th team. Also, what a remarkable job Danny Maciocia has done with the Carabins.

Zach
11-26-2015, 02:20 PM
Does Nill finally win another Vanier?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Zach
11-28-2015, 11:51 AM
UBC throwing a zillion passes early.

TheAlpineOracle
11-28-2015, 12:02 PM
So who is this O'Connor kid? Huge football pedigree, IAG Academy out of Florida, and spent a year at Penn State and he is only 19 years old. Why is he wasting his time in the CIS? An absolute beast. He looks like a CFL QB playing with children. You may as well give UBC the next 5 Vaniers with this guy as he is only going to get bigger, stronger, and Bette.

adc
11-28-2015, 12:54 PM
So who is this O'Connor kid? Huge football pedigree, IAG Academy out of Florida, and spent a year at Penn State and he is only 19 years old. Why is he wasting his time in the CIS? An absolute beast. He looks like a CFL QB playing with children. You may as well give UBC the next 5 Vaniers with this guy as he is only going to get bigger, stronger, and Bette.

Because he couldn't hack it in the NCAA?

Wasn't he 3rd or 4th string at an ok Penn State program?

I expected Montreal to walk all over UBC.

Just shows how badly the Dinos choked by choking away that UBC game. The Dinos should have cruised to the Vaner Cup if this is the best Montreal has to offer.

TheAlpineOracle
11-28-2015, 01:20 PM
Because he couldn't hack it in the NCAA?

Wasn't he 3rd or 4th string at an ok Penn State program?

I expected Montreal to walk all over UBC.

Just shows how badly the Dinos choked by choking away that UBC game. The Dinos should have cruised to the Vaner Cup if this is the best Montreal has to offer.

He was 3rd string as an 18 year old in first year. He was pegged as the next starter until Penn State's coach left. Almost seems like he may have had some issues which punched his ticket. Very weird he didn't go to another school down South given his time at IAG. Blake Nill has a Nack for acquiring guys like that. UBC has a lot of former NCAA guys.

Johnny199r
11-28-2015, 01:25 PM
UBC in control of things in the 3rd quarter. Montreal not giving up though.

adc
11-28-2015, 01:33 PM
He was 3rd string as an 18 year old in first year. He was pegged as the next starter until Penn State's coach left. Almost seems like he may have had some issues which punched his ticket. Very weird he didn't go to another school down South given his time at IAG. Blake Nill has a Nack for acquiring guys like that. UBC has a lot of former NCAA guys.

Doesn't him going to IMG (I assume that is what you are taking about never heard of IAG) mean that he has rich parents that can pay $80,000 a year to send him there?

Did he get a scholarship based on his talent?

My point about being 3rd/4th string was he had to make a decision if he wanted to sit on the bench for 2-3 years and then have a shot assuming they don't bring someone else in during that time or play full time in the CIS.

But I do think that during the UBC-U of C game the announcers alluded to there being some non-football issues he may have had while at Penn State. That may have just been the coaching change changing his role at the school or more I can't remember if they got more specific.

TheAlpineOracle
11-28-2015, 01:48 PM
Doesn't him going to IMG (I assume that is what you are taking about never heard of IAG) mean that he has rich parents that can pay $80,000 a year to send him there?

Did he get a scholarship based on his talent?

My point about being 3rd/4th string was he had to make a decision if he wanted to sit on the bench for 2-3 years and then have a shot assuming they don't bring someone else in during that time or play full time in the CIS.

But I do think that during the UBC-U of C game the announcers alluded to there being some non-football issues he may have had while at Penn State. That may have just been the coaching change changing his role at the school or more I can't remember if they got more specific.

Yes, IMG. iPhone is autocorrecting it for some reason. Money can get you into IMG, but ti doesn't get you the playing time he got. He also had a complete full ride to Pen State that was still being honoured by the new coach that took over. He was highly coveted among many programs in the NCAA and could have easily just switched school rather than coming to the CIS. This guy is going to absolutely dominate the CIS. Which is fine, but it just seems like a significant step backwards for him.

M*A*S*H 4077
11-28-2015, 04:12 PM
Congrats to coach Nill and UBC!

dash_pinched
12-04-2015, 12:52 PM
Congrats to coach Nill and UBC!

Some chatter in CIS football circles that recruiting rules need to be tightened up.

In the final moments of the Vanier Cup, the Canadian university football championship last Saturday, the University of British Columbia was led to a last-second victory by a 19-year-old quarterback, Michael O’Connor, the game’s most valuable player.

It was a glorious moment for UBC, a perennial loser in football until this year. But Mr. O’Connor’s arrival from the United States has not been without controversy, and has put a spotlight on recruitment policies for university sports that are considered vague and inadequate. At issue is the wooing by UBC, its coach, and a key alumni backer of Mr. O’Connor last winter, which included a trip to an NFL playoff game in Seattle and dinner with Warren Moon, the NFL Hall of Fame quarterback.

No official complaints have been filed and few are willing to comment publicly about the recruitment of Mr. O’Connor, although the issue has been discussed extensively in the small world of Canadian university football. Many are worried about the effects of the rise of alumni money in football and the need to strengthen Canadian Interuniversity Sport’s recruitment rules.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/sports/football/wooing-of-star-ubc-quarterback-raises-red-flags-about-recruiting-rules/article27595572/

troutman
12-04-2015, 02:36 PM
Hasn't there been talk too that some schools play a bunch of over-age ringers, like Laval and Saskatchewan? This may have been debunked in earlier threads.

TheAlpineOracle
12-04-2015, 02:45 PM
Hasn't there been talk too that some schools play a bunch of over-age ringers, like Laval and Saskatchewan? This may have been debunked in earlier threads.

That issue has been around for years. They tried to curb that about 10 years ago when they started to count junior football and other such things towards eligibility, but they didn't do enough in my opinion.

I once played a team in the CIS who had a QB who was approaching 30 years of age in a bowl game.

Western teams used to be pretty bad for this in the early 2000s. The Regina Rams and Manitoba Bisons were like playing a beer league team comprised of semi-professional athletes.

M*A*S*H 4077
12-04-2015, 03:27 PM
Some chatter in CIS football circles that recruiting rules need to be tightened up.

In the final moments of the Vanier Cup, the Canadian university football championship last Saturday, the University of British Columbia was led to a last-second victory by a 19-year-old quarterback, Michael O’Connor, the game’s most valuable player.

It was a glorious moment for UBC, a perennial loser in football until this year. But Mr. O’Connor’s arrival from the United States has not been without controversy, and has put a spotlight on recruitment policies for university sports that are considered vague and inadequate. At issue is the wooing by UBC, its coach, and a key alumni backer of Mr. O’Connor last winter, which included a trip to an NFL playoff game in Seattle and dinner with Warren Moon, the NFL Hall of Fame quarterback.

No official complaints have been filed and few are willing to comment publicly about the recruitment of Mr. O’Connor, although the issue has been discussed extensively in the small world of Canadian university football. Many are worried about the effects of the rise of alumni money in football and the need to strengthen Canadian Interuniversity Sport’s recruitment rules.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/sports/football/wooing-of-star-ubc-quarterback-raises-red-flags-about-recruiting-rules/article27595572/
Nill is the best recruiter in Canada for many reasons, but one very simple reason stands out. He actually listens when high school/junior coaches call him about a player. So many of these other guys don't bother returning calls or don't contact the players. Nill takes the time and reaches out to these guys, no small wonder he consistently has the best recruiting classes

Johnny199r
12-04-2015, 05:14 PM
This is all sour grapes and jealously about Nill.

Nill's St Mary's Huskies won the Vanier Cup in the early 2000s and suddenly every coach was complaining about how he used older aged players. Next season, the rules were changed regarding the age of players.

The big issue in college football is that there are rich and poor programs. Teams that spend peanuts (Ie AUS conference) simply can't, or refuse to spend money to compete with teams that are fund raising machines (ie Laval)

Coaches that are currently crying foul need to go to their AD and ask for more resources. The anonymous snotty letters about Nill are ridiculous.