PDA

View Full Version : [News] TB backup g out 2-3 months with blood clot

The Original FFIV
09-04-2015, 09:02 AM
@CraigCustance: Lightning announce that talented backup goalie Andrei Vasilevskiy had surgery to remove a blood clot. Out 2-3 months.

Can't see them being interested in ramo or hiller due to salary but should put them in market for backup g

handgroen
09-04-2015, 09:04 AM
@CraigCustance: Lightning announce that talented backup goalie Andrei Vasilevskiy had surgery to remove a blood clot. Out 2-3 months.

Can't see them being interested in ramo or hiller due to salary but should put them in market for backup g

salary retained? and for picks, could fit

Vinny01
09-04-2015, 09:06 AM

Might be interested in Ortio if he hits waivers

Poe969
09-04-2015, 09:08 AM
Does Tampa have any bad contracts they'd want to get off the books? Maybe Hiller + for something like Filpula. They'd get some cap room (now and the future) and a proven goalie who's off the books next year. We'd get a good forward and solve our goalie situation.

Really doubt that's even worth talking about but it's summer and some hockey talk is better than no hockey talk....

Ozy_Flame
09-04-2015, 09:10 AM
Aren't blood clots pretty dangerous? Vasilevskiy is lucky if they caught it early.

tvp2003
09-04-2015, 09:15 AM
Might be interested in Ortio if he hits waivers

This would be my concern. Getting a backup for Bishop for 3 months probably isn't the biggest concern, so a waiver pickup might be all they need. So depending on how long TB can wait, it could put some pressure on Calgary if one of the options was to try to sneak Ortio through waivers at some point.

Benched
09-04-2015, 09:16 AM
Aren't blood clots pretty dangerous? Vasilevskiy is lucky if they caught it early.

yes

The Fonz
09-04-2015, 09:24 AM
Hiller @ 50% retained

Get er done BT.

The Fonz
09-04-2015, 09:25 AM
This would be my concern. Getting a backup for Bishop for 3 months probably isn't the biggest concern, so a waiver pickup might be all they need. So depending on how long TB can wait, it could put some pressure on Calgary if one of the options was to try to sneak Ortio through waivers at some point.

They best sort this out prior to the start of the season, IMO. Bishop has had injury problems as well these last few years.

Funkhouser
09-04-2015, 09:26 AM
If I'm not mistaken, they have a couple great goalie prospects in the AHL who can probably ride the bench for a couple months.

Nothing to see here.

FlamesAddiction
09-04-2015, 09:31 AM

Yeah, they can be. IIRC, I think that is what Cervenka had when he came to Calgary.

Not only does the issue keep him from practicing and exercising, but I heard the meds take a lot out of you physically as well. They really hurt endurance.

CroFlames
09-04-2015, 09:46 AM
The biggest concern (obviously besides the guys' health) is them picking up Ortio off waivers should that scenario play out.

Very curious to watch this play out and see what wizardry BT has left.

Strange Brew
09-04-2015, 11:11 AM
Is Ortio really that likely to get plucked off waivers? He didn't look out of place in the NHL but in scanning AHL stats, his were good but there were a number of goalies with higher save percentages and lower GAA (Ortio is not that close to the top 10 in either category). I admittedly know very little about these other goalies and their waiver status.

Wastedyouth
09-04-2015, 11:11 AM
I'd rather keep Hiller, he is the better goalie.

CroFlames
09-04-2015, 11:18 AM
Is Ortio really that likely to get plucked off waivers? He didn't look out of place in the NHL but in scanning AHL stats, his were good but there were a number of goalies with higher save percentages and lower GAA (Ortio is not that close to the top 10 in either category). I admittedly know very little about these other goalies and their waiver status.

But with TB's backup going down for 2-3 months, why wouldn't they take a stab at Ortio if he's available right?

Bandwagon In Flames
09-04-2015, 11:35 AM

If you want to judge Ortio based off stats, why don't you check Adirondacks record with him in goal and without him in goal. That will tell you all you need to know.

Strange Brew
09-04-2015, 11:38 AM
But with TB's backup going down for 2-3 months, why wouldn't they take a stab at Ortio if he's available right?

But my point is whether Ortio is really better than the other options that will be out there on the waiver wire? And if they take him on waivers, would they not need to keep him on the NHL roster all year long or else offer him back to the team from which they took him? I'm not positive how that works.

dammage79
09-04-2015, 11:50 AM
Ah, the Lightning has Gudlevskis that Latvian prince as well. They really do not have a hole to fill unless Bishop gets his annual injury early this year.

skudr248
09-04-2015, 11:56 AM
I honestly would rather prefer Ortio over Hiller... Hillers inconsistency, ugly playing style and a knack for letting in crappy goals drives me insane.

Ruttiger
09-04-2015, 11:57 AM

Yes. A cousin of mine died as a result of blood clots.

Esoteric
09-04-2015, 12:29 PM
Why would Tampa Bay be interested in trading their top goaltending prospect for another backup because of an injury?

They won't be moving Vasilevskiy. Not a chance.

Gudļevskis will probably play as a backup (AKA the guy from Latvia that stopped 55/57 shots when Canada played them in Sochi).

bc-chris
09-04-2015, 01:10 PM

yes - very dangerous

my uncle died as a result of a clot that was in his leg. from what i was told it 'broke off' and clogged his heart

Mattman
09-04-2015, 02:13 PM
That's scary. Best of luck to him and I hope he doesn't have any further health problems after that.

And no if I'm Yzerman I'd be 100% confident Gudlevskis going in as my backup. No need to force a trade where there shouldn't be one.

getbak
09-04-2015, 02:19 PM
Why would Tampa Bay be interested in trading their top goaltending prospect for another backup because of an injury?

They won't be moving Vasilevskiy. Not a chance.

Gudļevskis will probably play as a backup (AKA the guy from Latvia that stopped 55/57 shots when Canada played them in Sochi).
I don't think anyone has suggested that they would trade Vasilevskiy, but they will need to replace him.

Right now, the only other goalies they have under contract are Adam Wilcox, who just left College and has played a total of 3 professional games; and Gudlevskis, who had the 41st best GAA and 46th best SV% in the AHL last season (out of 50 AHL goalies).

Claiming a guy like Ortio might make a lot of sense for them. Once Vasilevskiy returns, they can either put the guy they claimed back on waivers and have his original team reclaim him (or any other team could grab him), and they wouldn't have to pay him for any longer than the time he was in Tampa. If the guy they claim steps in and looks good, they have the luxury of Vasilevskiy being waiver exempt this season, so they could send him down and keep the new guy.

If they sign or trade for a replacement, they'd have to pay that guy for the full season no matter what happens when Vasilevskiy returns.

dissentowner
09-04-2015, 02:22 PM
Ortio should never hit waivers.

Strange Brew
09-04-2015, 03:07 PM
If you want to judge Ortio based off stats, why don't you check Adirondacks record with him in goal and without him in goal. That will tell you all you need to know.

I think that tells me as much about the backup as it does Ortio. So you're saying Ortio was better than Carr or whoever else they had? I agree with you there.

Esoteric
09-04-2015, 03:49 PM
I don't think anyone has suggested that they would trade Vasilevskiy, but they will need to replace him.

Ah, my bad, I was reading the proposed trades on the first page as suggestions to trade for Vasilevskiy.

On a side note, his name is a nightmare to spell, so let's not trade for him.

smiggy77
09-04-2015, 11:49 PM

very bad

PugnaciousIntern
09-05-2015, 09:17 AM
"blood clot" is so general...it's like "cut". Most heart attacks and strokes are "blood clots". DVTs and PEs are "blood clots". ALI is normally a "blood clot".

A few of those are obviously not the case, but the time off really just represents the time on blood thinners. It's one of those things that is most dangerous to those who don't realize they have it, but pretty safe if it's identified and the person is still ok.

Zoidberg
09-05-2015, 09:39 AM
"blood clot" is so general...it's like "cut". Most heart attacks and strokes are "blood clots". DVTs and PEs are "blood clots". ALI is normally a "blood clot".

A few of those are obviously not the case, but the time off really just represents the time on blood thinners. It's one of those things that is most dangerous to those who don't realize they have it, but pretty safe if it's identified and the person is still ok.

surgeon here;

he actually had a form of vascular thoracic outlet syndrome; a lot different than the blood clots associated with deep vein thromboses/pulmonary emboli. in this, the anterior scalene neck muscle and, often times, an accessory cervical rib (or a long transverse process from one of the cervical vertebra) cause compression to an important triangle of the neck containing the brachial plexus (where all the nerves that innervate the arm are), and the subclavian artery and vein. he probably had paget-schroetter syndrome, where the vein is compressed and clots form due to blood stasis... it can be made a lot worse with trauma (i.e.: pucks to the area, repetitively). he should make a full recovery in a couple months barring complications.

Flamescuprun2018
09-05-2015, 09:45 AM
I would agree, less serious. He likely will not need blood thinners long term either since clot was precipitated by the thoracic outlet syndrome. Once the problem is removed surgically the risk of clotting is greatly reduced.

Street Pharmacist
09-05-2015, 10:40 AM
And to the above poster re:meds taking a lot out of you, that's not really the case. The meds would likely be blood thinners, and as you're now on meds that delay clotting, hockey type exercise is temporarily out of the question

dammage79
09-08-2015, 11:57 AM
Joe Smith ‏@TBTimes_JSmith 26m26 minutes ago
#tblightning announces that G Ray Emery and C Ryan Martindale will attend camp on PTOs