PDA

View Full Version : [Signing] Flames sign Ryan Wilson to A PTO

Otto-matic
09-03-2015, 03:11 PM
Kristen Odland ‏@KristenOdlandCH 2m2 minutes ago
Interesting. Flames announce they've given former Colorado Avalanche D-man Ryan Wilson a PTO.

Pat Steinberg ‏@Fan960Steinberg 1m1 minute ago
#Flames have announced they've added d-man Ryan Wilson on a professional tryout.

Confirmed. Wilson to a PTO.

Must be help for Stockton?

FlamesAddiction
09-03-2015, 03:12 PM
A former Flame for a really short period of time as well.

Rick M.
09-03-2015, 03:14 PM
Hmmm. I wonder what that's about. He hardly played last year.

codynw
09-03-2015, 03:14 PM
But why?

442scotty
09-03-2015, 03:16 PM
Cant see what the point would be...

TurdFerguson
09-03-2015, 03:18 PM
http://data.whicdn.com/images/8517691/large.gif

RyZ
09-03-2015, 03:18 PM
Strange signing. He has played 44 pro games since the 11/12 season at 28 years old. I wonder what went on there?

bax
09-03-2015, 03:19 PM
http://data.whicdn.com/images/8517691/large.gif

Hahaha this is a perfect use of that gif. Well done

Timbo
09-03-2015, 03:20 PM
Training camp fodder?

Buck Murdock
09-03-2015, 03:23 PM
Tre probably sat down with him face to face and he promised he was going to really, really work hard.

CroFlames
09-03-2015, 03:23 PM
Just when you think you know all the answers to the D, Treliving changes all the questions.

Head scratcher signing to me, but why would you not trust the Wizard?

Yamer
09-03-2015, 03:24 PM
I think he would add tremendous depth to the Stockton roster (which is where I am assuming he will end up).

Not only that, but an extra body at camp isn't a bad thing.

JohnnyT
09-03-2015, 03:26 PM
Same idea as potter last year? AHL guy that can sit in the box instead of a rookie if needed?

Enoch Root
09-03-2015, 03:29 PM
Yeah, they have to be thinking Stockton here.

Because it would be miraculous for him to carve out a spot at say 10th - 12th on the depth chart (at best)

Street Pharmacist
09-03-2015, 03:30 PM
Tre probably sat down with him face to face and he promised he was going to really, really work hard.
Tre?

GoFlamesGo1989
09-03-2015, 03:32 PM
It's a PTO relax folks

codynw
09-03-2015, 03:33 PM
Tre?

BT doesn't have time for people to spell out his entire name on a message board.

Cleveland Steam Whistle
09-03-2015, 03:51 PM
I am less confused by this PTO, than I am by many of the confused reactions to this on here.

You can really tell the folks that need to be able to put everything neat and tidy into a box well in advance and who doesn't deal with uncertainty well when they question things like why a body is being brought to camp for a try out.

Enoch Root
09-03-2015, 03:57 PM
I am less confused by this PTO, than I am by many of the confused reactions to this on here.

You can really tell the folks that need to be able to put everything neat and tidy into a box well in advance and who doesn't deal with uncertainty well when they question things like why a body is being brought to camp for a try out.

It's a discussion.

The vast majority (almost all) of PTOs end in nothing.

But there is still a reason why they were offered. Whether it's to have another body in camp, or because his cousin is dating Treliving's brother, or whatever.

The posts I find ridiculous are the ones like the quoted that suggest people can't deal with things, or the prior one telling people to relax.

Flame19,289
09-03-2015, 03:57 PM
A placeholder for Smid until he is ready for full contact, perhaps?

MyFlamesFirst
09-03-2015, 03:59 PM
Don't see how he could be much better than Schlemko and will probably cost us the same amount of money if we do sign him.

codynw
09-03-2015, 03:59 PM

Where does he fit though?

Giordano
Brodie
Hamilton
Wideman
Russell
Engelland
Smid?
Wotherspoon
Morrison
Kulak
Culkin
Sieloff
Nakladal
Kanzig?
Kylington?

There isn't room for the players that are already signed, let alone any new guys. Just seems like a "what's the point?" signing.

Phanuthier
09-03-2015, 04:00 PM
Interesting, I wonder what kind of other offers he got. Ryan Wilson is like a Schlemko, a depth D who can play up the lineup. If he doesn't get any other offers, he could be a good depth acquisition. I can see a bit of a need in the NO 8-12 depth D.

FlamesAddiction
09-03-2015, 04:04 PM
I am thinking that Smid is still up in the air and Wilson is someone with pro experience that Wothspoon needs to beat out. They aren't ready to just hand it to him yet.

Cleveland Steam Whistle
09-03-2015, 04:06 PM
It's a discussion.

But there is still a reason why they were offered. Whether it's to have another body in camp, or because his cousin is dating Treliving's brother, or whatever.

The posts I find ridiculous are the ones like the quoted that suggest people can't deal with things, or the prior one telling people to relax.
Sure is a head scratcher isn't. Wonder what is going on here. Just when you think you've got it figured out, someone throws you a curve ball. If a tree falls in a forest, would sign Wilson to a PTO? I guess we'll just have to trust the GM on this one.

Oling_Roachinen
09-03-2015, 04:16 PM

Giordano
Brodie
Hamilton
Wideman
Russell
Engelland
Smid?
Wotherspoon
Morrison
Kulak
Culkin
Sieloff
Nakladal
Kanzig?
Kylington?

There isn't room for the players that are already signed, let alone any new guys. Just seems like a "what's the point?" signing.

It depends if he's healthy and back to where he was at 3 years ago. If he's able to play at that level again, he's potentially a better option than Engelland and Smid on the bottom pairing. He's not a career benchwarmer like someone like Potter was, he was an established number 5 (or better) defenseman when he wasn't injured.

Fire of the Phoenix
09-03-2015, 04:16 PM
Schlemko must have turned down a PTO... can't see them not offering him one if they're willing to offer a guy like Wilson one.

Buff
09-03-2015, 04:17 PM
My take, is this is for competition in camp. It is easy to see that the top 6 spots are fairly locked up with:
Giordano
Hamilton
Brodie
Russel
Wideman
Engelland

With Smid and Wotherspoon seemingly the top spots to fight for 7th (if/when Smid is healthy) it can look a bit daunting for some of the younger guys to look at who is on the team and think that they have a good chance at a spot.

Suddenly there is this guy who has NHL experience who could take away their spot on the AHL and now these guys have to try harder to prove that he isn't as good as them. They don't get too comfortable and they keep pushing themselves and surprise coaching, management or maybe even themselves by making the NHL club because they tried harder in camp.

For Wilson, if he can go into camp and look good, maybe he steals that 6th spot, or maybe other teams notice him and he gets a contract with another NHL team once the Flames cut him from camp.

Flames get competition to push the younger guys and get a feel for who is ready and willing to keep pushing and Wilson gets a chance to prove to somebody that he can still hang in the NHL. Win/win.

Wood
09-03-2015, 04:19 PM
I like Wilsons game, but I haven't really followed him since his injuries

I hope he has a good showing and earns a contract, whether it's with us or another team

Finger Cookin
09-03-2015, 04:21 PM
I think the big takeaway from this is that contract talks with Ferland have collapsed, leading to his imminent departure via trade.

calgarybean
09-03-2015, 04:22 PM
I think the big takeaway from this is that contract talks with Ferland have collapsed, leading to his imminent departure via trade.

How does signing a d-man to a PTO equate to Ferland being traded? :blink:

Finger Cookin
09-03-2015, 04:25 PM
How does signing a d-man to a PTO equate to Ferland being traded? :blink:

https://media0.giphy.com/media/GJ1oPaEhMD79e/200.gif https://media0.giphy.com/media/aBMXJht9NTiIo/200.gif
https://media4.giphy.com/media/4QH3fpxy4VXO/200.gif https://media3.giphy.com/media/AwFSRlPltoOeA/200.gif

dammage79
09-03-2015, 05:03 PM
Good luck to Wilson. Not sure why Treliving is loading up the competition but it'll make for a good camp.

David Struch
09-03-2015, 05:13 PM
Ryan Wilson has only played 48 games over the past three seasons.

2012-13 - 12 games (Av's)
2013–14 - 28 games & 4 playoffs games (Av's) 1 game with Lake Erie (AHL)
2014–15 - 3 games (Av's)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ryan_Wilson_(ice_hockey)

Oil Stain
09-03-2015, 05:16 PM
Good luck to Wilson. Not sure why Treliving is loading up the competition but it'll make for a good camp.

Looks fairly prudent.

After Wotherspoon, the next names listed on the depth chart (Culkin, Kulak, Morrison, Sieloff, Nakladal, Kanzig) all have less than one season of experience in the AHL.

A couple of injuries later you are into guys that you will have no idea what you will get at the NHL level and could end up with a 21 year old in the pressbox.

With Wilson you'd have at least one call up that has proven he won't be roadkill at the NHL level. It's weird that he has played so few games over the last few seasons though. Bad injury problems?

saillias
09-03-2015, 05:18 PM

Maybe overall but Treliving has a 67% defenseman PTO sign rate, no? Brookbank, Diaz, Potter.

Frank MetaMusil
09-03-2015, 05:19 PM
Maybe overall but Treliving has a 66% defenseman PTO sign rate, no? Brookbank, Diaz, Potter.
Douglas Murray?

Phanuthier
09-03-2015, 05:49 PM
Looks fairly prudent.

After Wotherspoon, the next names listed on the depth chart (Culkin, Kulak, Morrison, Sieloff, Nakladal, Kanzig) all have less than one season of experience in the AHL.

A couple of injuries later you are into guys that you will have no idea what you will get at the NHL level and could end up with a 21 year old in the pressbox.

With Wilson you'd have at least one call up that has proven he won't be roadkill at the NHL level. It's weird that he has played so few games over the last few seasons though. Bad injury problems?
What Oil Stain said.

I would guess Kanzig starts out in the ECHL, and we bring in at least guy with NHL experience (Ryan Wilson?)

GranteedEV
09-03-2015, 05:58 PM
This is fine by me, just a PTO to see if he's healthy. Really liking his advanced stats when he was healthy, a player who can produce offense, drive possession and even fill in for #4 minutes:

http://i.imgur.com/85KEHAB.png

In fairness, Nakladal has 4 seasons (117GP) of KHL experience. While there will be some needed adjustment from Big Ice --> Small Ice, that's better experience than any AHL experience in terms of competition level.

Vulcan
09-03-2015, 06:05 PM
His latest injury was to the shoulder.

After missing the vast majority of the 2014-15 campaign due to a shoulder injury, it seems Ryan Wilson hasn’t been able to secure a new contract this summer.http://prohockeytalk.nbcsports.com/2015/09/03/calgary-presents-ryan-wilson-with-pto/

I don't know if we'll give him a contract but players who don't have one are probably getting desperate just to get a try out so they get a chance to fit in somewhere.

ComixZone
09-03-2015, 06:35 PM

Giordano
Brodie
Hamilton
Wideman
Russell
Engelland
Smid?
Wotherspoon
Morrison
Kulak
Culkin
Sieloff
Nakladal
Kanzig?
Kylington?

If he out performs people on that list in camp - then he fits in there above one of them.

Ya know...competition...

dammage79
09-03-2015, 06:58 PM
Meh, Kind of indifferent really. If Wotherspoon cannot supplant a PTO like Wilson, it'll be pretty clear he needs more time. Same can be said about Kulak, Culkin, Morrison, Nakladal, Seiloff and Kylington.

The mountain got a little tougher to climb for these guys but always earned and never given. Camp is going to be a war all the way through the line up. Could be the kind of camp where injuries play a big part in decision making come regular season.

There's 11 D men (including Wilson) by my count with NHL readiness or on the very cusp fighting for 7-8 spots on the main roster, 8 of them on 1 way deals. and 7 would be locks on most teams. WAR!

Jay Random
09-03-2015, 07:11 PM
WAR!

That's why they're bringing in Wilson – to zip up the body bags. :ph34r:

Buff
09-03-2015, 07:31 PM
Ryan Wilson has only played 48 games over the past three seasons.

2012-13 - 12 games (Av's)
2013–14 - 28 games & 4 playoffs games (Av's) 1 game with Lake Erie (AHL)
2014–15 - 3 games (Av's)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ryan_Wilson_(ice_hockey)

That is why he only received a PTO on a team with little room left for him. Either he raises the level of competition for a job or he is gone.

dobbles
09-03-2015, 07:44 PM
Ryan Wilson was one of my favorite QC Flames. He was 2nd in D scoring on the 08-09 team. (behind the legendary Anders Eriksson!)

Is there any chance the Flames are doing this as a favor to a former prospect that is looking for a chance to showcase himself after playing so little hockey the last few years? Obviously there is always the upside of playing well and making room, but maybe they are doing it more for the player than the team?

combustiblefuel
09-03-2015, 08:50 PM
Ryan Wilson was one of my favorite QC Flames. He was 2nd in D scoring on the 08-09 team. (behind the legendary Anders Eriksson!)

Is there any chance the Flames are doing this as a favor to a former prospect that is looking for a chance to showcase himself after playing so little hockey the last few years? Obviously there is always the upside of playing well and making room, but maybe they are doing it more for the player than the team?

I think it is more BT signing for depth . Last year he did this for Diaz and Potter who did well enough to earn contracts so why not roll the dice again.

pgsieve
09-03-2015, 09:23 PM
What about the Schlemcat?

RedHot25
09-03-2015, 09:26 PM
Yes, as others have pointed out, its called competition. NHL, AHL, ECHL, where ever. Nothing given always earned. Depth, bodies at camp, etc.

Can't hurt. So see what happens.

Strange Brew
09-03-2015, 09:34 PM
Last year Diaz, Schlemko, Potter and Wotherspoon all played playoff games for this team. Even with Hamilton in the mix, some of those guys still would have played. So until guys like Wotherspoon, Nakladal and Morrison prove they're ready, some extra bodies make sense. Especially ones that if they earn a contract, could be easily sent down.

Little surprised it's not Schlemko but maybe they see slightly more upside with Wilson. Although I could see another PTO still.

Caged Great
09-03-2015, 09:36 PM
This is literally a no risk all reward signing.

If he doesn't play well, no big deal. If he does, then he'll either be this year's Yonkman in Stockton or the 7th/8th guy in Calgary. Win-win.

#-3
09-03-2015, 09:53 PM
The guy look pretty good in his early 20's and its a PTO. It just make sense that some team somewhere would do this. Doesn't really hurt my feelings that it's the Flames. 0 risk, tiny chance at some small reward.

cannon7
09-03-2015, 10:13 PM
Wilson was a really solid d-man for the Avs for a couple seasons, but injuries have really hobbled his career. I think if the Avs have given up on him given their D situation, that he might be done at the NHL level.

nwflamesfan
09-03-2015, 11:16 PM
That's the new mindset of the organization since Brad came in. No stone left unturned. No risk and possible reward down the line. Nothing not to like about this.

Alberta_Beef
09-04-2015, 02:38 AM
Maybe overall but Treliving has a 67% defenseman PTO sign rate, no? Brookbank, Diaz, Potter.No.

Potter was signed outright and didn't participate in camp due to an injury. Brookbank, Diaz, Fram, Gedig, Stevenson and Yonkman received PTOs for last year's camp. Then Douglas Murray signed a PTO in season to practice with the team. 3/7 (42.9%) received some form of contract and only 1 (14.3%) received an NHL contract.

badger89
09-04-2015, 08:08 AM
I'd rather see some prospects cycled through the #7 spot. Wootherspoon, Morrison, and Nakadal could all benefit from being with the team for part of the year and seeing first hand what it takes to be an NHL player. And with Smid back, that would only happen with injuries. I just don't get bringing in another D man on a PTO unless you don't have confidence in those three. But maybe Treliving is working on a deal to move someone.

Strange Brew
09-04-2015, 08:56 AM
I'd rather see some prospects cycled through the #7 spot. Wootherspoon, Morrison, and Nakadal could all benefit from being with the team for part of the year and seeing first hand what it takes to be an NHL player. And with Smid back, that would only happen with injuries. I just don't get bringing in another D man on a PTO unless you don't have confidence in those three. But maybe Treliving is working on a deal to move someone.

You nailed it there. Nakladal and Morrison have yet to play an NHL game, or even attend a Flames training camp, so hard to have much confidence in them yet. Wotherspoon still has to prove himself as a legit NHLer so this is just buying some training camp competition.

BT may well be trying to move a defenseman, but I doubt he considers Wilson a replacement at this point.

GioforPM
09-04-2015, 09:41 AM
I don't see why having too many options is a bad thing. This is Treliving's MO. He considers every trade deal, and wants to know about them, gives himself every roster option possible via PTO or even signings (3 one-way waiver eligible goalies for example).

HUSKER4FLAMES
09-04-2015, 10:14 AM
It could be as simple as a previous relationship or friend and him or his agents ask the flames to give him a chance to prove he's healthy and still has something left in the tank. Everyone one talks about being a good organization and player friendly and being fair and giving everyone a chance. I don't see this as any different or grand plan. Sure come on in. Help push the young guys. Work your tail off. We will get you in a few games to show your skills. Beat someone out from our team and more power to you. If not show your wears and maybe someone else picks you up. Worse case scenario he doesn't make it and someone owes the flames a favor. WIN WIN WIN.

smiggy77
09-04-2015, 11:34 PM
I used to question moves like this, until I realized BT would have made this decision.

Let's see how this plays out.

BurningSteel
09-05-2015, 08:13 AM
Schlemkooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo ooooooo?????????

GullFoss
09-05-2015, 12:17 PM
Maybe theyre looking to shed a body on the backend. Englend or Smid perhaps. And the Wilson might make a solid #7

StrykerSteve
09-05-2015, 04:37 PM
Haynes wrote a piece on Wilson earlier today. Lots to like about this guy...

http://www.flamesfrom80feet.ca/2015/09/signed-to-pto-here-are-dozen-things-to.html

Outscored Doughty and Subban in Junior, Captain of his Junior teams, big frame, hits like a truck and has a terrific shot from the blueline.

If he's genuinely over his injury troubles, this could be a very nice addition to the D in Calgary.

heep223
09-05-2015, 04:51 PM
He fought Dorsett and smoked Hall? I like him.

Vulcan
09-05-2015, 05:17 PM
For those wanting Schlemko back and I agree he did a pretty good job, he's an average sized player with no physical part to his game. On the other hand Wilson brings a physical game, along with some skill, and that's the part where we are weakest. If he can push Engelland or even Russell for a job, our defence will be in good shape to handle some of the big teams.

PepsiFree
09-05-2015, 05:57 PM
Agree with those who said there's not a lot of confidence in the kids. Haven't seen anything worthy of an NHL spot yet. I'd like Smid and another vet to cover the bottom pairing fill-in for injury.

combustiblefuel
09-05-2015, 11:38 PM
Haynes wrote a piece on Wilson earlier today. Lots to like about this guy...

http://www.flamesfrom80feet.ca/2015/09/signed-to-pto-here-are-dozen-things-to.html

Outscored Doughty and Subban in Junior, Captain of his Junior teams, big frame, hits like a truck and has a terrific shot from the blueline.

If he's genuinely over his injury troubles, this could be a very nice addition to the D in Calgary.

Holy hell can that boy Hit.

Caged Great
09-05-2015, 11:48 PM
I would not be shocked if either Wilson or Morrison split the 6/7 spot on the roster with Engelland. If Wilson is healthy, then it's basically getting this year's version Diaz, but instead one that can hit like a truck. We won't know until we get there.

I doubt the Flames will carry both Engelland and Smid, I would expect one of them to get traded for something like a mid/late pick.

Gaskal
09-06-2015, 08:49 AM
Would much rather Wilson get the #6 spot over Engelland, Smid, Nakladal. Hopefully he impresses in camp enough to earn a spot. We have a lot of players who finish checks well, like Bouma and Jooris, but we're lacking in those thunderous open ice hitters. Sieloff was our most recent hope but Wilson may be ready to step in and contribute quickly.

Freeway
09-06-2015, 10:34 PM
I would not be shocked if either Wilson or Morrison split the 6/7 spot on the roster with Engelland. If Wilson is healthy, then it's basically getting this year's version Diaz, but instead one that can hit like a truck. We won't know until we get there.

I doubt the Flames will carry both Engelland and Smid, I would expect one of them to get traded for something like a mid/late pick.

Devil's advocate: what teams have the ability OR willingness cap-wise to take on a 6/7 defender with a $3m cap hit?

PepsiFree
09-07-2015, 12:48 AM
Devil's advocate: what teams have the ability OR willingness cap-wise to take on a 6/7 defender with a $3m cap hit?

Contender at the deadline looking to shore up some depth I think. I could be wrong, but it always seems like there is more room to acquire players then.

Caged Great
09-07-2015, 01:00 AM
In terms of those that it wouldn't hurt them significantly $ wise and could use a 6/7

Arizona and Carolina could easily. New Jersey could offset the retirement of Salvador with one of those guys. The Isles could use someone better than Strait.

The Flames could also add something to either guy and ship them to Florida for Brian Campbell or the Flyers for Streit.

Then there are plenty of cases where the Flames might be able to deal one of the two guys for bad 1 year remaining contracts like Nikita Nikitin or Tom Gilbert and there are quite a few others. Toronto for Hunwick might make sense on a 2 year deal, especially with the Leafs having primarily 1 year remaining contracts.

None of the options would make anyone walk away thrilled or disappointed, but it all depends on whether it makes sense for the other team and the Flames are okay with the return.

Buyouts are also a possibility

Here's what the iffy contracts would be to buy out next offseason if necessary.

Smid - .833 mil next season, 1.333333 mil the year after (Saves 2.667, Costs 1.333)
Engelland - 1.083 mil next season, 0.916 mil the year after (Saves 1.834, Costs .916)
Raymond - 1.050 each of the next two seasons (Saves 2.1, Costs 1.05)
Stajan - .875 Next year, 2.375 the year after, with 0.750 the two after that (Saves 2.25, 0.75, costs .750 X2)
Bollig - Less savings than if you buried him in the minors.

Flames Draft Watcher
09-07-2015, 05:27 PM
nm