PDA

View Full Version : Players Tribune: Bryce Salvador Retires

Kiran403
09-02-2015, 09:02 AM
Another great article on the Players Tribune. This time it's about Bryce Salvador getting injured and his journey to play one last season.

http://www.theplayerstribune.com/bryce-salvador-devils-retirement/

Ozy_Flame
09-02-2015, 09:04 AM
Sometimes I forget that when players looks like they need to retire, it's because of injury-related reasons. Not because of the quality of play regressed, but because injuries have slowed them down. Cory Sarich might find himself in the same boat, but back in the day he was a great shutdown defenseman.

trumpethead
09-02-2015, 09:17 AM
That was a good read. I have never before heard of this type of 'injury' to an athlete. He's lucky he got it figured out before he spiraled into depression or worse.

(ps. how in the hell did the Devils made the Stanley Cup Finals only 3 seasons ago?)

DJones
09-02-2015, 09:23 AM
I want to know what the writing process for that site is. There's no way all of these hockey players are such good writers haha.

Maybe they dictate them to an editor?

codynw
09-02-2015, 09:23 AM
(ps. how in the hell did the Devils made the Stanley Cup Finals only 3 seasons ago?)

Brodeur was still good 3 seasons ago, and they still had Parise and Kovalchuk.

DJones
09-02-2015, 09:28 AM
Brodeur was still good 3 seasons ago, and they still had Parise and Kovalchuk.

My mind can't even process Kovalchuk any more haha. Vancouver was a serious contender back then as well.

Buff
09-02-2015, 11:35 AM
While Bryce Salvador played for the Lethbridge Hurricanes he went to the U of L. I caught the city bus with him on the way to school. He was a pretty down to earth guy and didn't fit your stereotypical jock persona. It was nice to see him have such a long career.

jayswin
09-02-2015, 11:38 AM
I want to know what the writing process for that site is. There's no way all of these hockey players are such good writers haha.

Maybe they dictate them to an editor?

Someone mentioned in the last player tribune thread that it's more of an interview than a player writing an article. A ghost writer just interviews them and pieces together a story, but the idea that the players are figuratively writing in their own words makes it kind of cool.

CaptainYooh
09-02-2015, 12:21 PM
...Lou, thank you...Seems to me that each and every time Lou Lamoriello is mentioned by players in either professional or personal context, it's usually with deep and sincere gratitude. Makes me really wonder what happened at NJD causing him to leave.

Benched
09-02-2015, 12:30 PM
great article. someone was cutting some onions part way through it though, made it a bit hard to read.

Locke
09-02-2015, 12:47 PM
Seems to me that each and every time Lou Lamoriello is mentioned by players in either professional or personal context, it's usually with deep and sincere gratitude. Makes me really wonder what happened at NGD causing him to leave.

From what I understand arent the Devils basically broke?

It was probably something to do with truckloads and truckloads of money.