PDA

View Full Version : UPD: Hartley & Conroy on the Fan: Pre-Pre-Season Discussion

JohnnyT
09-01-2015, 02:20 PM
Here's the link for Conroy: http://www.sportsnet.ca/960/boomer-morning/conroy-on-exciting-flames-summer/

Thought this we be a good primer for discussion with rookie camp only 9(!) days away.

I think my favourite part was when he was talking about the young stars tournament and specifically Bennett playing and facing the oilers that the Flames want to set the tone for the rest of the season.

The stuff about the different styles of GMs was also an interesting tidbit for people who are interested in that side of the game

UPD: Hartley was on there as well: http://www.sportsnet.ca/960/boomer-m...er-and-pinder/ (http://www.sportsnet.ca/960/boomer-morning/bob-hartley-in-studio-with-boomer-and-pinder/)

He talked about the Jack Adams and how he feels its a team award even though it is only his name on the trophy.

Said fans are already asking him who is going to play with who and that he is excited to see how it plays out

More on Bennett playing centre not wing.

Only 6 days till rookie camp!!

saillias
09-01-2015, 02:25 PM
I like the contrast between GMs.

Feaster: Let everything come to him.

Burke: Phoned guys once a week or once every 2 weeks.

Treliving: Call everybody daily

Locke
09-01-2015, 02:28 PM
I like the contrast between GMs.

Feaster: Let everything come to him.

Burke: Phoned guys once a week or once every 2 weeks.

Treliving: Call everybody daily

I have a client that does this with his business as a tradesperson, he calls people all the time.

"Do you have any work?"

No.

"Do you have any work?"

No...

"Do you have any work?"

No!

"Do you have any work?"

NO!!

"Do you have any work?"

GIVE THAT GUY SOME WORK SO HE STOPS CALLING ME.

Finger Cookin
09-01-2015, 02:30 PM
Treliving will absolutely shut up and quit bugging you if you just take him to Mt. Splashmore.

CroFlames
09-01-2015, 02:41 PM
What a smile on that link. The happiest yank in the management group.

Bingo
09-01-2015, 02:43 PM
really fits with the post Hamilton trade anonymous GM quotes about being annoyed that they didn't know he was available.

the Feaster method would leave you in that camp ... uninformed.

Racki
09-01-2015, 04:25 PM
really fits with the post Hamilton trade anonymous GM quotes about being annoyed that they didn't know he was available.

the Feaster method would leave you in that camp ... uninformed.
I remember hearing this after the Joe Thornton trade. Nobody knew he was available cause they couldn't have joe find out he was offered around the whole league only to have the deal fall through. The first best offer was the one they took. It pays to be the guy always making that first, best offer.

Strange Brew
09-01-2015, 04:33 PM
Makes you wonder if Feaster was not comfortable being the initiator and as a result, the returns on Iginla and Bouwmeester were underwhelming.

You know in every job, from mail room to CEO, effort counts for a lot. Sometimes you just have to be in the right place at the right time and effort makes it more likely you will be in that place. BT sounds like he is energetic and relentless. My gut feeling is that Feaster did not put forth the same level of effort.

The Yen Man
09-01-2015, 05:08 PM
Man, I love Connie. The guy always has such a positive, friendly vibe. I'm glad working as a manager has not dampened that spirit. Hope he's with the Flames organization for a long time.

Vinny01
09-01-2015, 05:14 PM
Really shows how bad of a GM Feaster was and why he lost most of his trades. When Burke polled the other GM's about their opinions on Flames management I would not be surprised if their response was "don't hear from him much unless I initiate"

Rick M.
09-01-2015, 05:45 PM
I liked the bit where he discussed what Jarome had said about Hamilton ("real good guy, quiet"). Likely he was the main source that convinced the Flames that the 'rumours' about Hamilton's character were false.

hockey.modern
09-01-2015, 06:06 PM
I liked the bit where he discussed what Jarome had said about Hamilton ("real good guy, quiet"). Likely he was the main source that convinced the Flames that the 'rumours' about Hamilton's character were false.

Love how the two still keep in touch. Would love to see Iggy join the management and reunite with Gelina & Conroy.

Hemi-Cuda
09-01-2015, 06:12 PM
Love how the two still keep in touch. Would love to see Iggy join the management and reunite with Gelina & Conroy.

Lets be careful about stockpiling too many former players into management, that can be a slippery slope into Oiler territory

JD
09-01-2015, 09:40 PM
Lets be careful about stockpiling too many former players into management, that can be a slippery slope into Oiler territory
Could be, but don't forget the arrogance of Kevin Lowe and the humility of Jarome Iginla pretty much puts them at opposite ends of the spectrum.

BACKCHECK!!!
09-01-2015, 11:08 PM
If there is a managerial or other off-ice position available, and Jarome Iginla applies for the position, and Jarome Iginla is the applicant who is most qualified and able to perform that role, then he should be brought in as management.

Otherwise, I'll be glad to see him do great work with the alumni association.

Strange Brew
09-02-2015, 06:26 AM
If there is a managerial or other off-ice position available, and Jarome Iginla applies for the position, and Jarome Iginla is the applicant who is most qualified and able to perform that role, then he should be brought in as management.

Otherwise, I'll be glad to see him do great work with the alumni association.

Yeah something tells me Iginla is not going to be scanning the job postings on Monster and submitting his resume and application for the jobs he is interested in. But I would be very surprised if he became part of the hockey operations group here. For whatever reason, doesn't seem like his thing.

Benched
09-02-2015, 01:49 PM
How was BT the assistant GM for so long? How did no one else scoop him up before us?

And how the hell is Arizona so bad when he was on the GM squad?

mikephoen
09-02-2015, 01:58 PM
How was BT the assistant GM for so long? How did no one else scoop him up before us?

And how the hell is Arizona so bad when he was on the GM squad?

Having an internal cap of barely above the cap floor probably had a lot to do with it. And until last season, Arizona was pretty respectable.

Coach
09-02-2015, 02:12 PM
Having an internal cap of barely above the cap floor probably had a lot to do with it. And until last season, Arizona was pretty respectable.

Yeah, that team ending up in the conference finals has stellar management and coaching written all over it.

GioforPM
09-02-2015, 04:43 PM

Yup, Arizona played well above its budget level for years under that management (and a good coach who I wanted instead of Sutter the third).

Huntingwhale
09-03-2015, 01:48 PM
Nothing to do with his radio interview, but my office is in Sunlife plaza and Craig is getting ready to repel down the side of the building (Easter Seals charity event), just saw him in the lobby!

codynw
09-03-2015, 01:53 PM
Yup, Arizona played well above its budget level for years under that management (and a good coach who I wanted instead of Sutter the third).

Why would a fan want their team (or any team they have to watch regularly) to be coached by Tippett? Do you enjoy sleeping through games?

Loudog
09-03-2015, 01:57 PM
http://www.sportsnet.ca/960/boomer-morning/bob-hartley-in-studio-with-boomer-and-pinder/

Bob Hartley was on this morning, really love listening to how much he cares about the development of this team.

He sounds like he is as excited about the three big questions heading into camp as we are: what's going to happen in the crease, what's going to happen with the D pairings, and what's going to happen with the forwards.

Is it October yet??

Strange Brew
09-03-2015, 02:07 PM
^ The crease, the D and the forwards. Well I guess that about covers it!

Fire of the Phoenix
09-03-2015, 04:14 PM
Why would a fan want their team (or any team they have to watch regularly) to be coached by Tippett? Do you enjoy sleeping through games?
No way it would've been worse than Sutter, where the team looked uninspired/scared to lose most of the time. Those were some of the most boring teams to watch in franchise history IMO, I doubt under Tippett it would've been much worse. Also, I bet Tippett would've gotten a couple of those teams into the playoffs... which may have actually been a bad thing now that I think of it, as everything we have now would be much different.

AcGold
09-03-2015, 05:20 PM
You are correct, Sutter was the most boring coach in history.

You are a power forward? Dump and chase

A playmaker? Dump and chase

A fleetfooted Bouwmeester that could gain the zone with his reach and puck protection? Dump and chase

Sutter was an idiot, he coached the team like they were 18 grinders.

MisterJoji
09-04-2015, 04:38 PM

A fleetfooted Bouwmeester that could gain the zone with his reach and puck protection? Dump and chase

Most frustrating 3 years of watching hockey I've experienced (I was too young to remember the Young Guns era).

Obligatory:

https://postmediaprovince.files.wordpress.com/2011/12/brent.gif?w=415&h=355

Frank MetaMusil
09-04-2015, 08:50 PM
Most frustrating 3 years of watching hockey I've experienced (I was too young to remember the Young Guns era).

Obligatory:

https://postmediaprovince.files.wordpress.com/2011/12/brent.gif?w=415&h=355
Haha, remember when Eric Francis and a couple other people said his name should be thrown in for Jack Adams votes?

GullFoss
09-04-2015, 09:43 PM
Haha. Brent was the worst. So true.

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk

kyuss275
09-04-2015, 10:18 PM

I hated the style of hockey that Sutter was using, but he had no choice. The only way to try and compete for a final playoff spot with that roster was to play that way. Do some forget Hartely's first year with the flames when he changed it to a more open , speed game, with pretty much the same roster that Sutter had? They were done by the end of January.

Granted I doubt he would have changed his game plan if he had the roster that the flames have today.

Also for the poster laughing that Sutter should have gotten consideration for Jack Adams.... I agree with Francis. If he had snuck that country club , veteran , slow team to the playoffs , he should have been considered.

Buck Murdock
09-04-2015, 11:22 PM
Brad Anthopoulos

smiggy77
09-04-2015, 11:44 PM
brent so bad sutter.

MisterJoji
09-05-2015, 12:54 AM
I hated the style of hockey that Sutter was using, but he had no choice. The only way to try and compete for a final playoff spot with that roster was to play that way. Do some forget Hartely's first year with the flames when he changed it to a more open , speed game, with pretty much the same roster that Sutter had? They were done by the end of January.

Granted I doubt he would have changed his game plan if he had the roster that the flames have today.

Also for the poster laughing that Sutter should have gotten consideration for Jack Adams.... I agree with Francis. If he had snuck that country club , veteran , slow team to the playoffs , he should have been considered.

To be fair, Hartley was brand new to the organization and didn't even get a full training camp to prepare. He also had Kiprusoff who had a career worst year, his last one in the NHL. I don't buy that this was a product of the team in front of him either because he looked Scrivens-esque and was supplanted by Joey fricken McDonald as the starter by the end of the year.

Da_Chief
09-05-2015, 04:33 AM
Gilbert was worse then Brent.

Heavy Jack
09-05-2015, 08:07 AM
That gif is just wow. Terrible flashbacks man, terrible flashbacks...

'SHOOT THE PUCK ALEX!!!!!'

'WAY TO CUTE IGGY!!!!!'

'bouwmeester...'

'come on Bouw!'

'DAMMIT BOUMEESTER!?!?!?!?!?!'

Not so bad flashbacks haha

'Thank god for Kipper'

'Hey that Brodie guy might be something'

'Gio should be captain one day'

Calgary4LIfe
09-05-2015, 08:38 AM

Disagree here.

Sutter's system revolved around 'the walls'. Defencemen were not allowed to pass the puck up the middle of the ice, and had to chip it along the boards to the forwards. Opposing forwards knew this, and would cheat, and a board battle would ensue.

On offence, the plays revolved around cycling. Again, in what world does it make sense to force one of the oldest and one of the smallest teams in the NHL to cycle? The consensus at the time was: "This team can't score off the rush." Well, it looked liked to me they did a better job scoring off the rush than off the cycle.

There were good things about Brent's system that he just wasn't able to implement - the forwards doing a better job of supporting the defencemen being the most obvious. He just couldn't get the buy-in from the players (which may be because the core was difficult to coach, or perhaps Brent wasn't a good motivator, or perhaps because players tuned him out due to the disagreement on how they should play?).

By the time Hartley took over, that team was done. It is tough to blame Hartley for being unable to turn that team around - especially without the benefit of camp and the big distraction of the lockout. Coaching changes and their corresponding systems take a while to get implemented, even with the benefit of camp. Don't you remember when Brent first took over, and the Flames were winning (I think 3rd overall in the NHL or something) and Brent kept insisting they are not playing the 'correct' way?

I am not sure what system Brent should have been using, but in no way was cycling and forcing the team to play along the boards from the defensive zone and into the offensive zone a logical system for the NHL's oldest (or 2nd oldest?) team and the NHL's smallest team. It made no sense really. It made even less sense after 3 seasons of trying to force it to happen without any success.

It will be interesting to see how Hartley incorporates Hamilton, Frolik Navidad and Bennett in the system. What will be more interesting is what happens as the team slowly gets bigger if guys like Ferland, Carrol, Smith, etc., start making the team as full-time NHL players. Then you can really start seeing the Flames being able to compete along the boards and up the middle.

BloodFetish
09-05-2015, 10:43 AM
Brad Anthopoulos

Screw that.

The Jays GM is Alex Treliving.

hockey.modern
09-05-2015, 02:41 PM
A buddy told me that he saw a bunch of Flames practicing at Winsport this morning. Anyone know who was there? Last time I went there, saw Bouma, Ferland & Stajan.