PDA

View Full Version : Trading for Patrick Kane

Tyler
09-01-2015, 12:22 PM
Chicago's got 3 cups with the guy. He's an immense talent. But after numerous personal and legal issues, the Blackhawks may need to cut ties with him.

If you're BT, is it a no-brainer to make an offer?

Who do the Flames package up in a trade proposal with Chicago? Do we even have the cap space to pursue something like this?

If Johnny Gaudreau is the next great American hockey player, does it not make sense for Chicago to target him as one of the US's largest markets?

What makes sense from a Flames perspective?

MacDaddy77
09-01-2015, 12:24 PM
jesus really???

hurry up season opener

ruddstud
09-01-2015, 12:24 PM
no-brain to make him an offer... no thanks! Kane averages 65 points over his career, Johnny had 64 in his first year. Are you drunk?

Senator Clay Davis
09-01-2015, 12:25 PM
I do not see this thread ending in anything other than a lock.

Poe969
09-01-2015, 12:25 PM
If he's traded, I think it's to the oilers....I mean he has a mullet already.

Tyler
09-01-2015, 12:26 PM
jesus really???

hurry up season opener

Fantastic contribution to the thread. The guy likely would have won the Art Ross had he not been injured last season and may actually be available.

JESUS REALLY???

Poe969
09-01-2015, 12:28 PM
Confused, are we talking about Patrick Kane or Jesus Really?

dash_pinched
09-01-2015, 12:28 PM
https://media1.giphy.com/media/11gC4odpiRKuha/200.gif

Jbo
09-01-2015, 12:29 PM
No

DownhillGoat
09-01-2015, 12:31 PM
No way is that a straight up trade. You've have to throw in at least a second + Jesus Really.

ruddstud
09-01-2015, 12:31 PM
He probably could be the 15\16 Art Ross winner except he was charged with 5 counts of rape, theft, assault, drunk driving, and coke possession.:eek:

Fantastic contribution to the thread. The guy likely would have won the Art Ross had he not been injured last season and may actually be available.

JESUS REALLY???

IgiTang
09-01-2015, 12:32 PM
Jesus!!! Really?!? I'm confused. So now we are talking about a gaudreau for Kane trade proposal?

How about... Wait for it... Toews, Kane and Keith for Monahan, Gaudreau and Gio?!

Benched
09-01-2015, 12:33 PM
wow I'm bored - I clicked on this thread.

:(

Poe969
09-01-2015, 12:34 PM
No way is that a straight up trade. You've have to throw in at least a second + Jesus Really.

Come on, be realistic...It would have to be Jesus really + Holy Moses for Kane.

hockey.modern
09-01-2015, 12:37 PM
"But after numerous personal and legal issues, the Blackhawks may need to cut ties with him"

If the Blackhawks are cutting ties with him for those reasons, why on earth would the flames go after him if they are just going to do the same thing. The NHL will cut ties with him if he keeps it up. This thread hurts my brain and I thought I was the one who always made the dumb posts... (Noon)

LanceUppercut
09-01-2015, 12:38 PM
I'm bored.. so I'll bite. No.. unless they want David Jones, Mason Raymond and Ladi Smid in return.

Also, Kane has a no movement clause. Chicago may want to cut ties with him, but they won't have much say in the matter if he doesn't want to leave. The only way he's gone is if they find a way to terminate the contract.

Frequitude
09-01-2015, 12:39 PM
I believe the concept of Kane not being a Blackhawk next year deserves some merit. However I am not interested in having him on the Flames with that contract.

D-Red
09-01-2015, 12:40 PM
In all fairness to the OP CBS is reporting at least 5 teams have contacted Chicago about Kane recently...

Link (http://www.cbssports.com/nhl/eye-on-hockey/25286896/report-multiple-teams-contacted-blackhawks-about-trading-patrick-kane)

Cleveland Steam Whistle
09-01-2015, 12:44 PM
"But after numerous personal and legal issues, the Blackhawks may need to cut ties with him"

If the Blackhawks are cutting ties with him for those reasons, why on earth would the flames go after him if they are just going to do the same thing. The NHL will cut ties with him if he keeps it up. This thread hurts my brain and I thought I was the one who always made the dumb posts... (Noon)
While I agree with the sentiment of your post, the statement about the NHL cutting ties with him is simply not close to realistic. Unless he is found guilty of a "major" crime (and the one he's being currently investigated for is of course major) then there will always be a home for Kane somewhere in the NHL. Or at least there will be while he's still one of the best in the game. Just a reality of life, you get away with more, if you can deliver something somebody somewhere values.

I would just hope that the Flames' Values don't align themselves with what Kane seems to represent at this point, and I certainly hope the Flames don't feel they are desperate enough at this point in time to need to sacrifice on their values for on ice results.

Yoho
09-01-2015, 12:46 PM
We need more $10mil players

Robbob
09-01-2015, 12:47 PM
Reward is great because you potentially get a very good player . The risk is that he potentially will not play or at the very least have a dark cloud that will follow him for the duration of the investigation/trial.

I think, regardless of the caliber of player, you stay away. Especially for a team that is so community orientated. The potential PR fallout will be damning to the club he is on. Worse if you are a tam that knowingly went out to get a player with this risk attached.

FBI
09-01-2015, 12:50 PM
Let's stick with the character guys.. That plan seems to be working really well.

Huntingwhale
09-01-2015, 12:54 PM
Kane

for

Jones
Raymond
7th

CroFlames
09-01-2015, 12:57 PM
While I agree with the sentiment of your post, the statement about the NHL cutting ties with him is simply not close to realistic. Unless he is found guilty of a "major" crime (and the one he's being currently investigated for is of course major) then there will always be a home for Kane somewhere in the NHL. Or at least there will be while he's still one of the best in the game. Just a reality of life, you get away with more, if you can deliver something somebody somewhere values.

I would just hope that the Flames' Values don't align themselves with what Kane seems to represent at this point, and I certainly hope the Flames don't feel they are desperate enough at this point in time to need to sacrifice on their values for on ice results.

Heatly killed a man and still played in the NHL. MacT also played after killing someone.

Frequitude
09-01-2015, 12:57 PM
Kane

for

Jones
Raymond
7thI honestly pass. I don't want a new 8x$10.5M contract in the Flames cap structure. Staple a 1st or two to him then sure.

Poe969
09-01-2015, 12:58 PM
Let's stick with the character guys.. That plan seems to be working really well.

So the guy with "character issues" who's won 3 cups doesn't belong on the team that hasn't won a cup in over 20 years. Not that I want him on the Flames but the character thing does get blown out of proportion at times. I like the way the team is coming together but who knows how Kane would do on the team. He may be a great hockey guy who's awesome and a leader but is just an idiot when it comes to the outside world not related to hockey and he makes bad decisions.

PaperBagger'14
09-01-2015, 01:04 PM
Kane

for

Jones
Raymond
7th

Worst trade proposal ever, not a single mention of hanowski.

Strange Brew
09-01-2015, 01:06 PM
IIRC Fletcher was able to get Gilmour to the Flames in a lopsided trade thanks in part to statutory rape allegations he was facing in St. Louis. Ultimately grand jury chose not to indict him after he was traded.

Poe969
09-01-2015, 01:07 PM
Kane

for

Jones
Raymond
7th

But it would have to happen now for it to make sense for the hawks. :bag:

codynw
09-01-2015, 01:18 PM
Nobody is touching Kane until they find out whether he's guilty or not.

And the Flames can't fit his $10.5M cap hit anyways (now or in the future) so this is all irrelevant.

AcGold
09-01-2015, 01:41 PM
Hell no, absolutely not. If a player gets cut for personal off ice issues and misbehavior they rarely turn it around. We're better off without him.

ScorchyScorch
09-01-2015, 01:45 PM
In terms of the Flames, this discussion isn't really worth having. No matter how much of an asset he is on the ice, he doesn't fit the character/professional requirements for the team. And would simply cost too much.

However, it's been reported that 5 teams have fielded offers or at least shown interest in trading for Kane. So discussing where he could go and for what is an interesting topic to have.

Buck Murdock
09-01-2015, 01:47 PM
Lets be intellectually honest here....he's post apex.

dying4acup
09-01-2015, 01:52 PM
So. How about them BLUEJAYS?

Vinny01
09-01-2015, 01:55 PM
Bad thread no trade for Kane

gildo
09-01-2015, 02:05 PM
Legal issues aside this would totally go against what the Blackhawks have worked towards as Sharp, Buff, Ladd, Saad, Campbell etc. have all left cause the team is building (and doing quite well) around Toews, Kane, Keith, Hossa and as a wildcard Seabrook.

Coach
09-01-2015, 02:14 PM
The Flames already have Patrick Kane. He's just younger and nicer.

codynw
09-01-2015, 02:22 PM

http://www.reactiongifs.us/wp-content/uploads/2013/06/boo_this_man_half_baked.gif

SebC
09-01-2015, 02:24 PM
I'd rather allocate the cap space to Hudler at this point. Kane in almost certainly would be Hudler out, as well as whatever assets we'd give up in the trade.

Hackey
09-01-2015, 02:30 PM
I'd take him but it would depend on the price. His cap hit is massive so I wouldn't want to pay a lot. If you could steal the guy then ya he would be an amazing addition to our top line as long as he doesn't pull a Tiger Woods or something. Can't see him being traded for peanuts though so I'd likely stay away.

Hackey
09-01-2015, 02:32 PM

Jays have looked amazing since trade deadline. I think they win the division and could even make some noise in the post season.

Mass_nerder
09-01-2015, 02:33 PM
Are you suggesting we trade johnny for Kane?
We would have to add, but I also don't really understand why we would do that.
Gaudreau might not be the same level of player that kane is (yet?), but he's much cheaper for the foreseeable future, he's 5 years younger, and he has proven chemistry with at least one of our other top young players, which will most likely grow as they get older.

Enoch Root
09-01-2015, 03:14 PM
So the guy with "character issues" who's won 3 cups doesn't belong on the team that hasn't won a cup in over 20 years. Not that I want him on the Flames but the character thing does get blown out of proportion at times. I like the way the team is coming together but who knows how Kane would do on the team. He may be a great hockey guy who's awesome and a leader but is just an idiot when it comes to the outside world not related to hockey and he makes bad decisions.

So in other words, you think he has character issues?

Enoch Root
09-01-2015, 03:19 PM
Kane is an elite offensive player. No question.

But he also costs $10.5M per year for the next 8 years.

He will be in his 30s for half of that contract (and 34 in the final year).

With that contract, there is no way a team gives up a young emerging star like Gaudreau for him.

(and that is ignoring his baggage)

jar_e
09-01-2015, 04:14 PM
To be fair to the OP, there's been a fair bit of media traction on it, including Mark Lazerus (arguably the best Blackhawks reporter) speculating it may be an option:

http://chicago.suntimes.com/sports/7/71/924493/blackhawks-must-consider-trading-patrick-kane

Marian Hossa had just had one of his typical games — a couple of goals, some stellar defense, another victory. When a few reporters descended on his stall in the visitors’ locker room in Dallas that November night, Hossa instinctively reached back for his Blackhawks hat. It wasn’t there. He looked around for a moment, then sheepishly apologized and scurried off to another room before re-emerging with a hat on his head. The future Hall of Famer didn’t want to get scolded.

Team rules, you know. All players must wear Hawks shirts and hats during postgame interviews.

There probably isn’t a more image-conscious team in the NHL, if not all of professional sports, than the Blackhawks. John McDonough didn’t just help turn the Hawks into a force on the ice, he turned them into a well-oiled public-relations machine. They work in the community. They sign autographs for fans. They do loads of charity work. They tweet out pictures of their adorable kids. They smile for the camera and always say the right thing. It might make for mundane copy sometimes, but it’s made the Hawks a near-universally admired and respected team around the league, and a beloved one in Chicago.

Simply put, the Hawks are the model franchise, on and off the ice.

Which is why Patrick Kane might be done in Chicago. And why maybe he should be.

CaptainCrunch
09-01-2015, 04:15 PM
chicago's 1st and Kane for Calgary's second and all of our cap mistakes including an option for them to take 2 more of our choosing in the next three years.

So basically The Hawks first and Kane for Calgary's 2nd + Jones + Raymond + Bollig + Smid +

http://www.aerostich.com/media/catalog/product/cache/1/image/529x/040ec09b1e35df139433887a97daa66f/a/k/akeli.jpg

Seriously though, if the Hawks wanted to move Kane, if he's cleared of this nonsense, they would want the Flames to gut their roster of young good prospects and roster players to get him.

No thanks, he's good, but with that contract he's the juice that ain't worth the squeeze.

SofaProfessor
09-01-2015, 04:50 PM
If Kane is cleared of any wrong doing, why would the Hawks want to trade him?

If he is found guilty, why would any team trade for him?

This thread is bad.

The Yen Man
09-01-2015, 05:03 PM
To be honest, even if Kane didn't have all the off ice issues, I don't think it's in Calgary's best interest to trade for him, not at the stage where the Flames are at. Kane is an elite offensive winger, but he is not a guy you build a team around. The fact that a winger takes up 10.5M of your cap, plus the price would likely be 2 of Bennett/Monahan/Gaudreau, I would not do the trade.

Flames should stay the course, and not trade for any high priced talent. The age / cap hit doesn't fit with the Flames current timelines IMO.

Vinny01
09-01-2015, 05:15 PM
If the Hawks cut bait with Kane I can already see him in a Panthers jersey

Caged Great
09-01-2015, 05:19 PM
The only time you make big trades is if it fits in one of two categories

1) You pilfer an up and coming talent for less than what their market value should be - See Dougie Hamilton

2) You're close to winning a cup and you feel you're one piece away.

The Flames are not there yet for the 2nd category. Soon, perhaps, but not yet. I don't think even if it were time that Kane would be the best choice. If I was going to throw assets as someone that's a star on another team, Stamkos would be my first choice.

Dr. Doom
09-01-2015, 05:27 PM
Well he did just get traded in my fantasy pool...

FlamesAddiction
09-01-2015, 05:33 PM
Considering the importance the Flames put on character, there is no way we even entertain the thought. Then considering that the cap hit would ensure that we lose some of our young core soon, it just makes zero sense.

It might make sense for another team, but not us.

Jacks
09-01-2015, 05:50 PM
It's a shame about the whole criminal charges, huge contract, immaturity, whatever else issues. Could you imagine a Johnny - Mony - Kane or Johnny - Sam - Kane line? Yikes.

FlameZilla
09-01-2015, 05:59 PM
Do you honestly think Brad Treliving & Bob Hartley would approve of having an arrogant, violent, alleged rapist blowhard influencing their immaculately professional & polite core of young talent?

Never mind the cap hit. Never mind the cost to acquire. Does this guy fit in with the new Calgary Flames ethos? Hell f%#€ing no.

Resolute 14
09-01-2015, 06:08 PM
Even if you put aside his personal problems entirely, you stay the hell away from Kane.

Look at what the Blackhawks are having to do to fit him and Toews under their cap. You bring Kane here, and you are kissing multiple out of Giordano, Hamilton, Brodie, Gaudreau, Monahan and Bennett goodbye, because you can't afford them all.

And notwithstanding Kane's obvious talent, that just makes this team worse.

Pass. Pass. Pass.

Lanny'sDaMan
09-01-2015, 07:20 PM
This thread can only deserve the following as a response.

http://edge.alluremedia.com.au/m/g/2015/09/rip_timecube.jpg

They both make exactly the same amount of sense to a sane and functioning entity.

Kobasew7
09-01-2015, 07:30 PM
The most likely outcome of all of this is no criminal charges and a settlement out of court. It's a suspension from the NHL that could ruin his season.

Chicago warned him supposedly before if he had another issue he would be done there, I wouldn't be shocked to see a smaller suspension from the NHL (10 game range) and Kane being dealt to somewhere like Arizona or Florida.

btimbit
09-01-2015, 07:31 PM
I am prepared to offer 2 of Ladislav Smid, Mason Raymond, Deryk Engelland and Brandon Bollig.

Eat your heart out, Blackhawks

topfiverecords
09-01-2015, 07:38 PM

I'd trade for him. Looks good.
http://i206.photobucket.com/albums/bb15/smashcard/Flames/lf_zpsfadkrhdp.jpg

smiggy77
09-01-2015, 09:11 PM
I don't know what is better...the responses to nonsense threads or Jesus Really's cap hit. So much value at that cap hit.

Calgary4LIfe
09-01-2015, 09:45 PM
Ignoring everything else about Kane's character, or the cost to acquire him, maybe just as important if not more is how he will completely throw the salary structure out of whack. Why should Gaudreau, Monahan, Bennett, Brodie, etc., all sign for reasonable deals when a team mate is making 10+ million a season?

Too expensive to acquire
Too many character issues to be concerned about with a young team (regardless of the current rumors, that cabby incident alone is enough for me)
Destroys salary structure

He is not even a consideration in my mind.

handgroen
09-01-2015, 09:46 PM
judging from conroy's recent comments and from the comments of rich winter gio's agent,
kane is overpaid and if he were to renegotiate his contract today, it would come in at a lower value. might take a few years before this contract makes sense to trade for.

also crap thread BTW

sharkov
09-02-2015, 12:21 AM
few players can match his playoffs performance. I would imagine St. Louis would try to get him to get some playoff performance

Fire of the Phoenix
09-02-2015, 12:27 AM
Patrick Kane may very well be traded as a result of this scandal. I'm confident the Flames won't be involved. There's simply no room here for his eyepopping cap hit and I doubt BT is about to trade the assets required or deal with the ripple effect it would cause in terms retaining other players down the road.

Nothing wrong with the topic, maybe it should've went in the rape thread or the rumors thread lol.

Dion
09-02-2015, 12:38 AM
If this goes to trail I have my doubts that any team would want his services. It would be a PR nightmare for any team that trades for him.

ScorchyScorch
09-02-2015, 01:45 AM
Okay, okay. If we were to do this hypothetically, I'd put a one time offer of Hudler + Wideman + prospect/picks

Cap hit is pretty much a wash. All players help the respective teams currently but aren't young.

Because strictly from an on ice standpoint

Gaudreau - Monahan - Kane

Would be magical to watch. Sorcery on ice every night. You could just label the games that.

But coming back to reality...hell no. I've never been more content with us taking a laissez faire approach. Aside from a our net situation, I believe that we've already got the seeds in place for a future juggernaut team. We need not do anything.

Johnny is basically Kane 2.0 anyhow. And sans baggage.

Samuelsson
09-02-2015, 02:45 AM
If they do flip Kane, they gotta be gutted at letting Saad walk

Husky
09-02-2015, 03:27 AM
Kane for stamkos.

kkaleR
09-02-2015, 07:38 AM
The Gaudreau-Kane-trade ought to happen now to make sense!
#10millions&20cents

BlackWallStreet
09-02-2015, 07:52 AM
No thanks. I wouldn't trade a 5th rounder for that rapist. Him and his 3 cup rings can stay the hell away from Canada and our women

PaperBagger'14
09-02-2015, 08:26 AM
No thanks. I wouldn't trade a 5th rounder for that rapist. Him and his 3 cup rings can stay the hell away from Canada and our women

Thanks for your input on this subject your honor.

Huntingwhale
09-02-2015, 08:37 AM
Kane to the Oilers

Vinny01
09-02-2015, 09:16 AM
Kane for Crouse, Campbell, 1st

Panthers dump the Campbell contract back on the Hawks bit give up a solid young piece and first round pick. That is a massive loss of offense this summer for the Hawks though if they move Kane, Sharp and Saad.

DJones
09-02-2015, 09:27 AM
I think his contract is going to look awful very quickly. 10% of the salary cap should be the absolute maximum a player makes.

Just can't ice a team otherwise. With two contracts like that I don't know what is going to happen.

Fire of the Phoenix
09-02-2015, 10:26 AM
If this goes to trail I have my doubts that any team would want his services. It would be a PR nightmare for any team that trades for him.

Not during the trial, but if found innocent or acquitted I can't see teams not being interested.

There are rumors out there that Chicago is fed up with Kane's shenanigans and this was the breaking point. They might want him traded because they think he eventually he'll start to hurt their brand. There's probably a lot of stuff we don't even hear about with Kane, stuff the team keeps under wraps. Not illegal stuff, just things the team would hope Kane would grow out of.

thefoss1957
09-02-2015, 10:56 AM
Doubtless, the rumored trade offers to the 'Hawks are low-ball, "you retain a bunch of salary, we get the guy", attempts by desperate GMs. The fact is, the guy hasn't been charged with anything yet, and sadly, the assumption here and elsewhere is guilt.

Also, I wouldn't be too smug about Flame guys necessarily automatically being better "character" guys...Theo's exploits were not good either, and he wore the C for your team.

Who knows how young guys who have been groomed to be "stars", who have endless temptations from "puck bunnies" and hangers on, will behave in varied situations?

jayswin
09-02-2015, 11:10 AM
Also, I wouldn't be too smug about Flame guys necessarily automatically being better "character" guys...Theo's exploits were not good either, and he wore the C for your team.

I think you took the comments too personally. Everyone was referring to the current Flames line-up that has been held up as a huge character team with no bad attitudes.

Posters were simply saying they don't want to add a player like Kane with obvious off ice issues (not including this current one because no charges have been laid) and potentially throw off the character team we've built so far.

I don't believe anyone was making the generic "Flames are and always have been a team with no character issues but Chicago isn't classy like that" like you seemed to take it.

thefoss1957
09-02-2015, 11:30 AM
Jayswin, I apologize if my meaning was muddled...my point is that there is no way to TELL one's character from the start (unless it's the gang tats that NBA/NFL guys come into camp sporting!)...and even teams that appear to have no problems still may. (read the scathing comments that Raanta made as parting shots at the 'Hawks! He couldn't have hidden those feelings from all his coaches/teammates...http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nhl-puck-daddy/antti-raanta-rooted-for-blackhawks-playoff-loss---pissed-off--about-treatment-140247584.html)

Truly, I understand that fans like to feel that their teams are special...and many individuals are...but also, many in all sports fail to mature because of the way they have been handled as youths.

Huntingwhale
09-02-2015, 12:40 PM
Does he have a NTC/NMC?

Every team in the league could use a player like Kane (allegation aside). But that contract looks horrible. Just entering the first of 8 years at a 10.5 mil cap hit. Wow.

Funkhouser
09-02-2015, 12:46 PM
Honestly, I could see him going to Buffalo. Chance at redemption for him on his hometown team. Buffalo has the assets to trade for him (Kane and first for Kane?).

Not many other teams have the space or are positioned well to take this piece.

jayswin
09-02-2015, 12:46 PM
Does he have a NTC/NMC?

Every team in the league could use a player like Kane (allegation aside). But that contract looks horrible. Just entering the first of 8 years at a 10.5 mil cap hit. Wow.

Yeah, it's a weird contract in that it kind of works on the Hawks, only because they're so good at building around high priced superstars (although, it's now going to get ridiculous for them with both those contracts kicking in), but for most teams, adding even one star player at 10.5mil for 8 years is basically the end of their hopes of building a contender despite how good the player is.

I know Hawks fans think they'd likely get a ransom if he was traded, but I honestly don't see much of a market, when you figure;

The good playoff teams likely don't have the cap space, or desire to lose one or two of their own star players to fit him in, and the bad teams likely don't want to commit to that much salary for that long if they know they're not a cap spending/contender building team.

The field of potential homes gets narrowed down very quickly with those two factors, imo.

saillias
09-02-2015, 01:13 PM
judging from conroy's recent comments and from the comments of rich winter gio's agent,
kane is overpaid and if he were to renegotiate his contract today, it would come in at a lower value. might take a few years before this contract makes sense to trade for.

also crap thread BTW

This. What Ritch Winter said was important. He talked about us how Stan Bowman gets questioned about those 10.5 mil/year contracts for Toews and Kane. Bowman would say, well at the time the economics of the NHL were projecting differently. It was looking like the cap was going to keep increasing exponentially. They were looking 4-5 years down the road at a much much higher cap. Now things have changed with the CDN$ and those deals don't look as good. And guys of that caliber (see: Kopitar) up for a raise are going to be disappointed.

Anyway, those contracts were almost like a "thank you" payout to Kane and Toews for the 2 cups (and 3rd they won with the extension already incoming) so a completely different org has much less incentive to pay those guys that money.

Oil Stain
09-02-2015, 05:01 PM
This. What Ritch Winter said was important. He talked about us how Stan Bowman gets questioned about those 10.5 mil/year contracts for Toews and Kane. Bowman would say, well at the time the economics of the NHL were projecting differently. It was looking like the cap was going to keep increasing exponentially. They were looking 4-5 years down the road at a much much higher cap. Now things have changed with the CDN$ and those deals don't look as good. And guys of that caliber (see: Kopitar) up for a raise are going to be disappointed.

Anyway, those contracts were almost like a "thank you" payout to Kane and Toews for the 2 cups (and 3rd they won with the extension already incoming) so a completely different org has much less incentive to pay those guys that money.

I dunno.

I think if guys like Kopitar really want raises similar to Toews and Kane, they will get them. Someone will pay.

The players really have the hammer in between lockouts.

Fire of the Phoenix
09-02-2015, 05:09 PM
I dunno.

I think if guys like Kopitar really want raises similar to Toews and Kane, they will get them. Someone will pay.

The players really have the hammer in between lockouts.

Someone will pay for sure. Nashville might have 7x11m waiting for Kopi, lord knows he would solve most of their problems. 8x9m from LA might sound better to him though, as California >>>> Tennessee for most people, especially rich people with roots already laid down.

Hackey
09-02-2015, 05:34 PM
If we offered Gaudreau, 2016 1st, and Poirier, how much more would we need to add to land Kane?

FireItUp
09-02-2015, 05:39 PM
If we offered Gaudreau, 2016 1st, and Poirier, how much more would we need to add to land Kane?

Leave now.

Vinny01
09-02-2015, 06:12 PM

Honestly that is massive overpayment. With no assurances of the cap increasing that contract is crazy.

Gaudreau is as close to an untouchable on the Flames roster as they get. The Flames organization knows that the trio of Gaudreau, Monahan, and Bennett are the 3 key forwards we are going to build around going forward.

Hartley loves Johnny and in one year he has become one of if not the most popular player on the team.

I am guessing though you are being sarcastic?

Enoch Root
09-02-2015, 06:17 PM

Throw in Bennett and Gillies and I think Chicago listens

Fire of the Phoenix
09-02-2015, 06:28 PM
That cap hit will really bring his trade value down. Only so many suitors with cap room AND the appetite to deal with his shenanigans. Chicago will be in a position of weakness if they trade Kane. I would say the Kessel trade would be a good comparable.

Hackey
09-02-2015, 07:21 PM
If the Kessel trade is an indication of return I think A LOT of teams would be interested despite the cap hit which is insane. To get an elite player for scraps would be intriguing for a lot of teams out there I'd think.

Greybeard
09-02-2015, 09:02 PM
Let Toronto have him. We want character guys not problem guys. And the contract $ and term would kill us.

codynw
09-02-2015, 09:25 PM
If the Kessel trade is an indication of return I think A LOT of teams would be interested despite the cap hit which is insane. To get an elite player for scraps would be intriguing for a lot of teams out there I'd think.

Did you miss the part where Kane is being investigated for rape, or...?

Teams won't give up quality assets without knowing how this situation will play out.

KipperFaNaTic
09-02-2015, 10:15 PM
I don't get all the uproar that happened on the first page. I think this is an absolutely valid thread. Blackhawks may be looking to trade Kane after warning him about his wild behaviour and thus OP is just wondering whether Treliving should bite if he indeed were in fact on the trading block.

IMO, I wouldn't trade for Kane as the Blackhawks would at least want one of our young core (ie gaudreau, Monahan, Bennet) which I would list as untouchable.

GoJetsGo
09-02-2015, 10:20 PM
I don't get all the uproar that happened on the first page. I think this is an absolutely valid thread. Blackhawks may be looking to trade Kane after warning him about his wild behaviour and thus OP is just wondering whether Treliving should bite if he indeed were in fact on the trading block.

You answered your own question... the uproar was at the ridiculous notion of Calgary trying to trade for him.

We are going to be tight to the cap moving forward as things sit now... never mind adding a 10 million dollar cap hit.

Then there's the matter of the assets we'd be stripping ourselves of to acquire him (were he indeed available and not charged with a felony).

Then, on top of all of that, there's the fact he's a loose cannon off the ice and clearly of poor character.

The topic of Kane being traded in general isn't ridiculous. The notion of Calgary trading for him is.

T@T
09-03-2015, 12:52 AM

Relation?

http://si.wsj.net/public/resources/images/OB-QV160_botwt1_C_20111201112511.jpg

DeluxeMoustache
09-03-2015, 01:36 AM
In short.. No thanks.

Hugh Jahrmes
09-03-2015, 02:29 AM
Someone else mentioned .. Edmonton. Land of the selfish forward

What would it take?
Nurse + Reinhart + Matthews?

dieHARDflameZ
09-03-2015, 07:56 AM
Flames management have said on numerous occasions that they want to bring in high character guys. I'm fairly certain Patrick Kane is absolutely not that guy.

Poe969
09-03-2015, 08:02 AM
Reinhart doesn't really have much value other than to clueless GMs. I could see Nurse + RNH + Matthews +...

Tacopuck
09-03-2015, 09:13 AM
Someone else mentioned .. Edmonton. Land of the selfish forward

What would it take?
Nurse + Reinhart + Matthews?

I see what you did there :whistle:

Hackey
09-03-2015, 12:51 PM
Did you miss the part where Kane is being investigated for rape, or...?

Teams won't give up quality assets without knowing how this situation will play out.

You consider the Kessel return as quality assets?

TorqueDog
09-03-2015, 01:38 PM
If Kane is cleared of any wrong doing, why would the Hawks want to trade him?

If he is found guilty, why would any team trade for him?See Heatley, Dany.

Benched
09-03-2015, 01:40 PM
yeah but if Kane is guilty he's probably looking at jail time...

after he's out....different story. but if the guy can't show up to play....

codynw
09-03-2015, 01:51 PM
You consider the Kessel return as quality assets?

A first round pick and Kapanen are both quality assets. Did Toronto get enough for Kessel? Probably not, but that doesn't mean the pieces Pittsburgh traded weren't quality.

And nobody is giving up a first and one of their top prospects for someone who may or may not end up in jail in the near future. This is a dumb conversation.

Hackey
09-03-2015, 04:27 PM
A first round pick and Kapanen are both quality assets. Did Toronto get enough for Kessel? Probably not, but that doesn't mean the pieces Pittsburgh traded weren't quality.

And nobody is giving up a first and one of their top prospects for someone who may or may not end up in jail in the near future. This is a dumb conversation.

You seem to be getting worked up over nothing lol. Someone suggested that the Kessel trade would be a comparable. I said if that was the case then I think a lot of teams would have interest. Take the stick out of your butt.

Displaced Flames fan
09-03-2015, 04:30 PM

Please explain.

420since1974
09-03-2015, 06:51 PM
If he's guilty, I don't want him just for that reason.

If he's innocent, I still don't want him because of his contract, and how much the Flames would have to give up to acquire him.

Hackey
09-04-2015, 12:49 AM
If he's guilty he will be in jail.

Poe969
09-04-2015, 06:54 AM
Please explain.

I mean that at times people get caught up in the "character" of a player. Now I don't mean Patrick Kane because there are issues there, I mean in players in general. Remember how Oli was called a cancer in the locker room by Barnaby or how some were/are saying that Hamilton was a bad team mate or whatever crap they're making up. What I'm getting at is that at times you have to think about the on ice value of a player. You can look at it that the Flames are so stable in their character that they could potentially help someone with character issues. Again, I don't mean with Kane specifically. Kessel for example, people had said he wouldn't fit with the Flames because of his work ethic and poor attitude, I think the team's work ethic and attitude would have affected him more than he would have affected the team.

The comment was more of a generalization about players with character issues, not a specific comment about Kane's issues that's why I preface your bolded part with "Not that I want him on the Flames but..." I believe there are huge issues with Kane but every time a "questionable" player hits the market, people bring up character issues as one of the first reasons not to get him. Again, let me be clear, I do in no way think the Flames should get Kane nor do I condone his actions. I was making a comment specifically about how people bring up "character issues" regarding players in general.

thefoss1957
09-04-2015, 10:32 AM
http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nhl-puck-daddy/patrick-kane-witness-will-appear-before-grand-jury--report-145929531.html

The accuser has to convince a grand jury that a crime has been committed, and grand juries are hard to predict.

In the State of New York, a Grand Jury is NOT mandatory, and Kane could have been charged without this hearing.

From Wikipedia: In the State of New York, while a person can initially be charged with a felony via a sworn written accusation alone (a "felony complaint"), the state constitution provides a defendant with a right to have all felonies prosecuted by way of a grand jury indictment. This right can be waived by a defendant

GioforPM
09-04-2015, 10:57 AM
http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nhl-puck-daddy/patrick-kane-witness-will-appear-before-grand-jury--report-145929531.html

The accuser has to convince a grand jury that a crime has been committed, and grand juries are hard to predict.

In the State of New York, a Grand Jury is NOT mandatory, and Kane could have been charged without this hearing.

From Wikipedia: In the State of New York, while a person can initially be charged with a felony via a sworn written accusation alone (a "felony complaint"), the state constitution provides a defendant with a right to have all felonies prosecuted by way of a grand jury indictment. This right can be waived by a defendant

That's not the test. I believe they only have to convince the grand jury that there's probable cause to indict - in other words, that it reasonably might have been. They don't have to be convinced that a crime was committed.

thefoss1957
09-04-2015, 11:14 AM
Gio...If the authorities thought they had a strong case, in New York, I would have expected a straight up felony complaint. But all this legal stuff now grinds on slowly.

GioforPM
09-04-2015, 11:34 AM
Gio...If the authorities thought they had a strong case, in New York, I would have expected a straight up felony complaint. But all this legal stuff now grinds on slowly.

Maybe - I don't know the thought process well enough, though I was under the impression that they often directly indict for different reasons. I was just pointing out that the grand jury doesn't have to be convinced a crime was committed. It's a far lesser test.