PDA

View Full Version : Monahan+Gaudreau - Gio+Brodie or Bennett+Gaudreau - Gio+Hamilton

Vinny01
08-30-2015, 10:43 AM
Last year the Flames were able to Benefit from having some solid pairings that appeared poised to be together for years.

The Brodano pairing as many fans likes to call them started a season earlier in 13-14 and were regarded as one of the better D pairings in the league. Last season there was a legit argument to say this was the best pair in hockey.

It took a while but once Backlund was healthy Hartley was able to move Monahan onto the Gaudreau-Hudler line and one that unit was put together they really took off. Monahan hit 31 goals and 62pts and Johnny had 24 goals and 64pts to lead rookies in scoring.

A couple of players will be joining the Flames this year that could change these dynamic pairings and I want to know your opinion on this.

First Dougie Hamilton was a huge add for the Flames. A 22 year old RHD who played tough minutes and produced in Boston last year. He is the Flames 2nd highest paid Dman (first next season) and is massive part of the future. The Flamea have 3 right hand shots in their top 6 now and it could make sense to pair Dougie with Gio right away. Brodie would likely pair up with Wideman and Russell could play with Engellend. There is also the Smid factor and if he returns perhaps he bumps Engellend out and Hamilton plays with Russell on the 2nd pair? Lastly Hartley could decide to play Brodie with Dougie to have a young pair that could play together for the next 10 years?

Up front enter Sam Bennett the highest draft pick Calgary has ever had. We all know how last year went for Sam and with a summer of training under his belt he is poised to come in and challenge for a top 2 center role next year. Monahan is a big body that can play a heavy 2way game but also has great smarts and offensive instincts. Bennett has dynamic speed and skill while playing a gritty in your face type of game. Gaudreau is the Flames offensive catalyst he is a true playmaker with elite IQ and vision.

I am going to predict by the end of the season Bennett will be on the same line with Johnny and Dougie will be paired with Gio

kyuss275
08-30-2015, 10:49 AM
Are you thinking Johnny - Bennett- Frolik ?

I agree that Dougie will be with Gio come the end of the year.

Greybeard
08-30-2015, 10:54 AM
Maybe Brodie Hamilton as left right shots. A pairing that could be together a long time. Then Gio with Wideman?

Finger Cookin
08-30-2015, 10:56 AM
I'm really not married to specific line or defensemen combinations at this point. There's a lot of good options with this roster, and I trust the coaching staff to figure it out after training camp and then adjust if necessary. It will probably be at least Game 2 of the regular season before I start second guessing them. ;)

handgroen
08-30-2015, 10:59 AM
say no to brodano.

the pairing itself is fine, maybe the best in the league. the term 'brodano' is not.

Finger Cookin
08-30-2015, 11:00 AM
Don't Blame Me, I Voted For Giordie

Mony
08-30-2015, 11:02 AM
At the beginning of this season, I would like to stick with Gio-Brodie for now, and like the poster above, I think they should start trying out Giordano-Hamilton on the top line towards the half/end of the season so that it is a proper L-R handed pairing and Hamilton can start getting those top line minutes we see for him in the future. Switch back and forth between Brodie.

Brodie-Hamilton of course is our top line of the future but we simply can't sit our best defenceman who would've won the Norris on anything other than the top line until he begins to regress. I predict we will see Brodie-Hamilton start to take shape in the coming years as Gio slows down.

For the start...
Giordano-Brodie (L/L) - just amazing chemistry.
Russell-Hamilton (L/R)
Wideman-Engelland (R/R)

further along the season or in quick glimpses/snapshots...
Giordano-Hamilton (L/R) - give Hamilton a taste of the top line together with Gio, mentor him and let him learn, which pushes Brodie down -
Brodie-Wideman (L/R) - pushing Brodie down could make the depth throughout better since he's our 2nd best dman
Russell-Engelland (L/R)

Insert prospects and players pushing for spots as we see fit.

I think eventually Sam will be our #1 tenacious, flashy center but this year he should be eased in like Sean was and given third and second line minutes (either as a center or a left wing). Eventually I'd like to see him in the top line with Johnny to his left and Sean as our stable, second-line center.

So in closing, this year it should for the most part be Mony Hockey and Brodano. Haha, Mony Hockey. It sounds dumb but at the same time it's great.

Vinny01
08-30-2015, 11:06 AM
Not sure who the RW will be on the Bennett line possibly Frolik maybe Hudler?

Mony
08-30-2015, 11:09 AM
Not sure who the RW will be on the Bennett line possibly Frolik maybe Hudler?

See, I really really wanna see Hudler with Bennett because he worked magic with tutoring Johnny last year, but that top line of Gaudreau-Monahan-Hudler was great last year. They've got fantastic chemistry.

I also know I want Backlund with Frolik for the monster possession purposes. Could be a great shutdown line. Bennett-Backlund-Frolik? Start Bennett on wing and it works perhaps.

GGG
08-30-2015, 11:12 AM
Not looking it up but weren't a lot of the Monhan/gaudreau/hurdler goals on the PP. so you could break up that line even strength and keep the together for the PP

I think longer term Monahan/frolik become the shutdown line and Gaudreau / Bennett the scoring line.

Next year you put bennet wherever his play dictates. Sheltered third line to star and move up from there.

handgroen
08-30-2015, 11:21 AM
Maybe Brodie Hamilton as left right shots. A pairing that could be together a long time. Then Gio with Wideman?

exactly what i was thinking quite honestly. the gio-wideman pairing will scare the bejesus out of some fans, but i like wideman more than most, and brodie-hamilton would be the shutdown pairing. This would leave us the incredible luxury of having gio-wideman, (two 50ish pt veterans) as our 3-4 pairing. i don't know how any team is going to be able to deal with that match up wise.

only thing is, brodie is very on the record about preferring to play the right side. (this shouldn't bother anybody as he is a god damned surgeon with his backhand pass.) hard to argue with the player about where he feels most comfortable, and i want brodie feeling comfortable. this would leave russel-hamilton as our second pair which i am also ecstatic about.

it's really an embarrassment of riches, basically it's an argument over who our number 4 d-man should be. wideman who had a hell of a year last season and is still very much an offensive producer. or russel who is a hell of a player and much better than most people give him credit for.

feels good man..

Gaskal
08-30-2015, 12:02 PM
On top 6 forward duos:

Short term I think it will be Johnny/Mony, Bennett/Ferland.
Eventually I think it'll be Johnny/Sam and Klimchuk/Mony.

On defence I'm thinking:
Gio - Wideman
Brodie - Hamilton

Gio - Wideman was kinda bad before when Wideman hadn't stepped up his game like he had. But now, they should be a very solid pairing next year if Hartley decides to give them a go. Plus, Brodie shies away from shooting often; Gio and Wideman can both crank it. You'd have the added benefit of TJ developing some early chemistry with Hamilton, who I think will be his defence partner down the run.

Vinny01
08-30-2015, 12:11 PM
I wouldn't be shocked in 2-3 years we see a all2913 first round line with Klimchuck-Monahan-Porier.

I think the top line starts out the same as last year and likely the same for the top pairing. I love monahan and think he is a number 1 centre on most teams but I think Bennett will be our top guy fairly soon. Bennett has a higher offensive ceiling and more dynamic skill set. Johnny will work with either player but will settle with the guy who is number 1. Also I could see Monahanthrust back to a defensive role if Backlu d goes down which is likely given Backs history.

As for the D if Hartley is into the L-R pairings then I see Gio and Dougie getting a look as early as training camp

MisterJoji
08-30-2015, 12:28 PM
If it ain't broke ...

Gaudreau - Monahan - Hudler were absolutely dynamite, do not break them up.

Gio - Brodie was arguably the best pair in the league, both in terms of defense and offense, don't touch that chemistry.

Yanda
08-30-2015, 12:35 PM
Bennett has not earned that ice time. Always earned never given.

Enoch Root
08-30-2015, 12:41 PM
If it ain't broke ...

Gio - Brodie was arguably the best pair in the league, both in terms of defense and offense, don't touch that chemistry.

/thread

Gaskal
08-30-2015, 12:46 PM
If it ain't broke ...

So after all this talk from both Treliving and Hartley about Frolik & Hamilton giving them "options" up and down the lineup, you're content with little lineup changes? I understand chemistry is important, but there will be inevitable slumps, and that's when some line juggling will happen. Bet on Hartley doing a lot of experimentation during camp/preseason.

Vinny01
08-30-2015, 12:48 PM

I agree I think it will take a lot longer for Bennett to bump Monahan off the Gaudreau line than Hamilton to slide into the top pairing.

If Backlund or Monahan get injured then I see Bennett moving to the Johnny line. The only other way it happens early is if Bennett looks so impressive the coaches feel they have to pair him with Johnny.

I don't see Hartley putting 2 RHD together (he did do it with Diaz-Engellend at times last year). I see the D looking one of 2 ways if no one like Wotherspoon forces his wagon the team.

Gio-Brodie
Russell-Hamilton
Smid/Wotherspoon-Wideman

Or

Gio-Hamilton
Brodie-Wideman
Russell-Engellend

It could go many different ways I suppose but looking at that depth it is amazing. It could be better if we didn't have bothSmid and Engellend making a combined $6.4M on the cap for the next 2 years. Hope we can move one of them

IgiTang
08-30-2015, 12:50 PM
I read "Brodano" and instantly thought yeeesh.. training camp can't start soon enough...

Vinny01
08-30-2015, 12:50 PM
If it ain't broke ...

The top line was pretty weak in the playoffs outside of a couple games. 7 combined points in the first 5 games of round 1 then blew up with 10pts in game 6. I agree start that way (up front) but let's not talk like this line was invincible

Rick M.
08-30-2015, 12:56 PM
The top line was pretty weak in the playoffs outside of a couple games. 7 combined points in the first 5 games of round 1 then blew up with 10pts in game 6. I agree start that way (up front) but let's not talk like this line was invincible

I think injuries played a large role in the performance of the top line in the playoffs, that plus inexperience.

Huntingwhale
08-30-2015, 12:58 PM
Never split up Brodano unless it's on the PP. You don't break up one of the best duo's in the league.

calgarybean
08-30-2015, 01:28 PM
The headline for the thread is brutal. Thought for a second I would have had to bust out the ole TI-83.

See how things play out in training camp and if you are unsure stick to the lines you know.

Bingo
08-30-2015, 01:31 PM
I think the key long term is develop 5 clear cut pairs on the team and hope they get entrenched

I think Haynes wrote that Monahan and Gaudreau may not be suitable long term when Monahan moves into a productive shut down role, though we don't know that will be the case.

But for guesses ....

Monahan Hudler
Bennett Gaudreau
Backlund Frolik
Giordano Wideman
Brodie Hamilton

That's not easy to combat as the opposition. The defense pairs will be on the ice 75% of the time, the trio of forward pairs probably 85% of the time.

Phaneufenstein
08-30-2015, 04:28 PM
I don't think Brodie plays with Giordano, at least to start the year.
As much as Brodie has excelled play the right side, it's better for lefties to play their natural side.
We got a top pairing right shooting defenceman in Hamilton

Our depth chart:

LD RD
Giordano Hamilton
Brodie Wideman
Russell Engelland

Second and third pairing RD may alternate, but top pairing of Gio - Hamilton I think is pretty much set; to start with anyway.

Enoch Root
08-30-2015, 04:31 PM
Giordano/Brodie were the top defensive pair in the NHL last year.

You don't break them up because L/R

It may, and probably will, evolve going forward. But you don't break up a pairing like that for no reason

Vinny01
08-30-2015, 04:53 PM
Since when is having a 22 year old 6'5 potential Franchise right hand shot Dman no reason?

Enoch Root
08-30-2015, 05:06 PM
Since when is having a 22 year old 6'5 potential Franchise right hand shot Dman no reason?

Instead of breaking up the best pairing in the league, use him to build ANOTHER good pairing.

Fix what wasn't good, not what was great

Rick M.
08-30-2015, 05:07 PM
I'm sure that Hartley will try all sorts of combinations in pre-season both at defence and at forward. Some may even last into the season but he's also prepared to shake up the lines and D-combinations during the regular season if things aren't working. Injuries will also necessitate shake ups.

Caged Great
08-30-2015, 05:19 PM
If I was running the practices, I would try everyone with everyone. You know that Gaudreau, Monahan, and Hudler have chemistry, why not try Gaudreau with Bennett and Hudler with Monahan playing alongside Frolik and Jones at least for the first couple games of the preseason. Wouldn't hurt. It might end up being Bennett with Jones and Frolik once the season starts. You just don't know.

On the D-pairings, you know Russell/Wideman have chemistry, and Gio with Brodie. You know that Smid/Engelland/whomever could slot in with Hamilton if you want to keep the other 2 pairings the same. Try everyone with everyone. Hamilton and Brodie might just be perfect foils for one another and work awesomely together, or they might have zero chemistry together.

With how things are set up you at least know that some people work well together. It's time to experiment to see if any other combinations work because in times of slumping if you have players that can work with multiple players they can hopefully break out of it sooner.

N-E-B
08-30-2015, 06:19 PM
I'm glad I'm not the only one who hates the term Brodano...

Also put me in the "ain't broke don't fix it" camp. I'm not opposed to switching it up but I would like to see them start the year with familiar lines.

Phaneufenstein
08-30-2015, 06:54 PM
Instead of breaking up the best pairing in the league, use him to build ANOTHER good pairing.

Fix what wasn't good, not what was great

We'll just have to disagree on that one.

How would you see the d-pairings then? Right now If you have two lefties together (Brodie+Gio), you'll end up with two right-handed guys on another pairing. It just doesn't make sense.

getbak
08-30-2015, 06:58 PM
I bet we don't see much of Brodie and Gio together during the preseason (possibly the same for Johnny and Monahan). Hartley will try the various combinations and see if he can make two combos with the same chemistry that they've had together.

I'm sure we'll see Gio-Wideman & Brodie-Hamilton or Gio-Hamilton & Brodie-Wideman a lot during the preseason.

GranteedEV
08-30-2015, 07:02 PM

There's the key reason it's no reason.

Hamilton is still 22, and prone to having his inexperience exposed by top players. He will perform better against easier competition and shouldn't have to be a top pairing D at such a young age. There's just no need for it.

Brodie has three extra years of experience on him and is a monster defenseman. He makes Giordano's job easier and while Hamilton "can" play with Giordano, he will probably have growing pains that Gio doesn't need taking on the toughest minutes in the NHL.

How would you see the d-pairings then? Right now If you have two lefties together (Brodie+Gio), you'll end up with two right-handed guys on another pairing. It just doesn't make sense.

Having Hamilton learn the left side could be very good for his development, you never know. More likely is for Russell or Smid to be his partner at #4 though and Wideman to be down at #5 where he is most sheltered. Wideman is our worst defensive defenseman so he is best used purely offensively.

Enoch Root
08-30-2015, 07:34 PM
We'll just have to disagree on that one.

You're assuming Engelland will round out the 6.

I don't think that's a given. Smid and Wotherspoon will both have something to say about that IMO.

Also, people make too much of the left/right thing IMO. Teams rarely have 3 lefties and 3 righties

Crumpy-Gunt
08-30-2015, 07:39 PM
Good post^ GranteedEV

I agree I just think the first pairing will be decided by the 2 players Bob is most confident and comfortable having on the ice in the toughest situations. I think it will be Gio and Brodie. For a few reasons, but mostly because dougie is new to our system, giodie were arguably the best if not one of the best pairings in the league for about a season. They are comfortable with each other and they compliment one another very well. I don't think Brodie and Hamilton will or should play together. 2 very similar young skating offensive defensemen who both like to play the right side. But who knows. I'm sure they could at some point.

I'd like to see
Gio Brodie
Wideman Hamilton
Russell Engelland

Awesome in a lot of ways because it eases Hamilton in with wides staying behind. A guy who knows the system. I think he biggest win is Engelland playing with Russell. I think the biggest weakness in Engellands game is his breakout passing skating out agility and all round quickness and offensive zone entry. He basically ends up causing a lot of icings, although I do like the toughness he brings. Russell would be a perfect match for him on the back end in my opinion. Someone who can make up for his lack of footspeed, passing and breakout pass / ozone entry.

I think the lh rh thing is nice to have but doesn't mean we need every pair to be one lhd and one rhd. It's awesome on the PP. but with brodies wicked backhand passing ability and gio is no slouch with those either I think they will be fine just like last season.

Our 2 pp lines will have nasty d pairings behind them.

Gio Wideman
Hamilton Brodie
Russell as well is awesome on the pp

getbak
08-30-2015, 07:45 PM
Also, people make too much of the left/right thing IMO. Teams rarely have 3 lefties and 3 righties
It's something both Hartley and Treliving have commented on, so I think it's worth paying attention to.

Will it make or break the final decision on the pairings? No, but I'm sure it will be something Hartley factors in.

MacFlame
08-30-2015, 08:23 PM
I see Ferland's and Bennett's game being complimentary (in your face, drive the net game) that will drive opponents crazy.

I also see Monahan providing the perfect all around game to allow Gaudreau to take offensive risks.

Monahan-Gaudreau
Bennett-Ferland

I liked the chemistry that Backlund and Colborne had last year, with both players having the ability to play the puck along the boards quite well (Ferland can too, but I just think he fits better with Bennett)

Backlund-Colborrne

Defensively, I'd like to the see the pairings stay consistent with likely PP lines...

Giordano-Hamilton
Brodie-Wideman

Phaneufenstein
08-30-2015, 08:56 PM
You're assuming Engelland will round out the 6.

I don't think that's a given. Smid and Wotherspoon will both have something to say about that IMO.

It's a bigger deal than you think.
Also, entering camp, I take Engelland over Smid and Wotherspoon every time.
Obviously things can change during pre-season, but this is where I see them stand at the moment.

ScorchyScorch
08-30-2015, 09:34 PM
Gaudreau - Monahan - Hudler
Bouma - Backlund - Frolik
Ferland - Bennett - Jones

If Hartley is set on playing Bennett at center from the get go. He'll have to earn top 6 duties like any other kid coming in.

Giordano - Brodie
Wideman - Hamilton
Russell - Engelland

Wideman amassed 53 points last season. You have to play him enough (second piring minutes) to benefit from the production he does bring. There's defensive strength spread across the lines to balance things. Engelland proved fairly capable in his own end in the playoffs. Hamilton can play keep away with Wideman and have fun filling up opponents nets with laser beams from the line. You can't make an argument to split 'Brodano', whom were the undisputed top pairing in the league the first half of the season in just about every category. Their collective +/- before Gio went down was miles beyond all other d-men. The team scores far more than they're scored on when those guys are out there. Just a dynamic, responsible duo.

pylon
08-30-2015, 09:43 PM
Brodano should be on the censored word list. Except instead of censored, it should result in Captain Crunch coming to your house, and living out one of his revenge fantasies, while Fotze stands in the corner watching, while wearing a leather zipper gimp mask.

Lanny_McDonald
08-30-2015, 10:04 PM
I like the following lineup.

Gaudreau-Monahan-Hudler
Colborne-Backlund-Frolik
Ferland-Bennett-Poirier
Bouma-Stajan-Jones
Jooris, Raymond

Should stay like this until the Flames can find suitors for Stajan, Raymond and Jones. All three could use new addresses. You can't afford to have $10.3M playing on your 4th line or sitting in the pressbox each night. These guys will be replaceable by players from the minors and save the Flames around $8M on the cap.

Giordano-Hamilton
Brodie-Wideman
Russell-Engelland
Wotherspoon

I think the Flames need to try and move two of Wideman, Engelland and Smid, if Smid comes back to play. Again, too much money being spent at the bottom of the lineup.

Caged Great
08-30-2015, 10:09 PM
the setup that I would like to see tried out at least to start the season

Gaudreau-Monahan-Hudler
Frolik-Bennett-Jones
Bouma-Backlund-Colborne
Ferland-Stajan-Shore/Jooris/Granlund

Giordano-Brodie
Hamilton-Smid/Engelland/Wotherspoon
Russell-Wideman

And the top two of the goalie trio.

Frolik can play either wing, which is advantageous as he shoots left, and would allow for Jones and Colborne to slot in on the right side.

We need to move out 3-4 bodies.

FBI
08-30-2015, 10:33 PM
I like the following lineup.

Gaudreau-Monahan-Hudler
Colborne-Backlund-Frolik
Ferland-Bennett-Poirier
Bouma-Stajan-Jones
Jooris, Raymond

Should stay like this until the Flames can find suitors for Stajan, Raymond and Jones. All three could use new addresses. You can't afford to have $10.3M playing on your 4th line or sitting in the pressbox each night. These guys will be replaceable by players from the minors and save the Flames around $8M on the cap.

Giordano-Hamilton
Brodie-Wideman
Russell-Engelland
Wotherspoon

I think the Flames need to try and move two of Wideman, Engelland and Smid, if Smid comes back to play. Again, too much money being spent at the bottom of the lineup.

Bollig? Traded for 6th round pick?

Finger Cookin
08-31-2015, 07:00 AM
Bollig? Traded for 6th round pick?

Not to mention that Byron and Shore need to be accounted for. Do you suppose three forwards will be moved early, along with two defensemen? That seems aggressive.

Tough choices coming up in camp. I think some players might be lost for nothing, which will displease the asset managers. Then again, maybe players exposed to waivers will slide through like they almost always do.

Bingo
08-31-2015, 08:13 AM
re: Gio/Brodie

I think 2 things have changed since they were a pairing.

1) Hamilton acquired
2) Brodie takes another step

They were great together and Brodie sputtered a bit when Gio went down, but then he emerged to be the best player on the ice against Vancouver. He can carry a pairing now, not rely on being carried.

That says break them up to me not because I don't think they'd be great together but because the Flames now have 2 linchpins and can literally have an ace on the ice 50/60 minutes a night.

If they don't though I can't see Wideman/Hamilton ... Wideman is ideal for less 5 on 5 and a powerplay focus. No point on forcing Hamilton out of position, play him with Russell.

Split98
08-31-2015, 11:41 AM
Really looking forward to Bromham in the near future.

Going to be tough to break up Brodano, and I'm a huge fan of chemistry but it's tough to deny how dynamic those two will be together for years and years to come.

Vulcan
08-31-2015, 12:32 PM
I think you need to start out with Giordano - Hamilton. If they don't work our than you go back to Giordano - Brodie but you don't waste the opportunity of having three right shooting defencemen playing on the right side. Having Brodie equally comfortable on either side will be great if injuries happen or if Smit plays instead of Engelland.

You could even pair Brodie with Hamilton and Giordano with Wideman. It will be interesting.

Robbob
08-31-2015, 01:10 PM
I would lean heavily to keep Brodie and Gio together to start the season unless in preseason Hamilton and one of those two click instantly. I think a good start will be critical for the flames.

Out side the box thinking, since Gio, Brodie and Hamilton seem to be able to carry a pairing, why not have each on their own pairing. You bring down the minutes of the top pairing (could benefit to keep the legs fresh) but it ensures every second of the game one of those players are on the ice. At that point you play the hot hand for matchups.

JohnnyTitan
08-31-2015, 01:21 PM
What would the ideal breakdown of minutes be? In line with the "Keep the legs" fresh thinking, maybe this would be ideal?

1st pairing = 42% of minutes
2nd pairing = 33% of minutes
3rd pairing = 25% of minutes

In that scenario, you wouldn't be killing any one pairing while also not "Wasting" either Wideman or Russell on the 3rd pairing.

What did the Flames look like last year? Here are the minutes against Vancouver. I just crunched how much the bottom two guys played, so you can extrapolate that the top-four played a ####-load! (And that includes Engelland playing an average of more than 20 minutes a night!)

So needless to say, we are in WAY better shape this season. More depth will benefit all those guys and the team in general!

Game #1
Schlemko 10:34
Russell 29:07
Wideman 30:03
Brodie 26:05
Potter 3:56
Engelland 20:15

Schlemko + Potter = 14:28 (12%)

Game #2
Schlemko 15:38
Russell 26:51
Wideman 24:24
Brodie 25:57
Potter 5:34
Engelland 20:19

Schlemko + Potter = 21:12 (18%)

Game #3
Schlemko 16:26
Russell 25:02
Wideman 26:46
Brodie 26:20
Wotherspoon 5:09
Engelland 20:21

Schlemko + Wotherspoon = 21:35 (18%)

Game #4
Schlemko 11:19
Russell 25:30
Wideman 27:47
Brodie: 28:32
Wotherspoon 4:19
Engelland 22:33

Schlemko + Wotherspoon = 15:38 (13%)

Game #5
Schlemko 14:51
Russell 26:51
Wideman 27:01
Brodie: 27:21
Wotherspoon 6:33
Engelland 17:23

Schlemko + Wotherspoon = 21:24 (18%)

Game #6
Schlemko 8:16
Russell 29:15
Wideman 25:57
Brodie 28:47
Wotherspoon 3:16
Engelland 24:29

Schlemko + Wotherspoon = 11:32 (9.5% !!!!!!)

JohnnyTitan
08-31-2015, 01:26 PM
As for forwards, I would kinda ask the same question? What is the ideal break-down?

In the past we'd talk about top-6 guys, but I specifically remember hearing Treliving comment that he feels each team really has a top-9. So maybe:

1st line: 33% (20 minutes)
2nd line: 25% (15 minutes)
3rd line: 25% (15 minutes)
4th line: 17% (10 minutes)

So when PP time is considered, there are enough minutes for both Bennett and Backlund no matter who is 2nd line vs 3rd line.

I don't want to derail the conversation, but I'm just suggesting that with our "Embarrassment of riches", hopefully we can roll 4 lines / 3 pairings that when combined with our "better conditioning" will crush our opponents! ;-)

Ryan Coke
08-31-2015, 02:31 PM
I don't think you try to play lesser players more. If you've got 3 elite defencemen, you put together an excellent top 4 and play them at least 3/4 of the game.

Obviously you don't want to wear them out, but top dmen usually are very comfortable at 23-25 minutes a game. When you play them less their play can actually suffer.

Same thing up front....while you don't want to put your 3 dangerous players on one line, you also don't want to spread them out across 4 lines. You want your best players to get as much ice time as they can comfortably handle.

Bingo
08-31-2015, 03:18 PM
I don't think you try to play lesser players more. If you've got 3 elite defencemen, you put together an excellent top 4 and play them at least 3/4 of the game.

Obviously you don't want to wear them out, but top dmen usually are very comfortable at 23-25 minutes a game. When you play them less their play can actually suffer.

Same thing up front....while you don't want to put your 3 dangerous players on one line, you also don't want to spread them out across 4 lines. You want your best players to get as much ice time as they can comfortably handle.

You put that better than I would, but I was about to say the same thing.

You don't want "resting" to become "under-utilization"

Split98
09-02-2015, 07:22 AM
You put that better than I would, but I was about to say the same thing.

You don't want "resting" to become "under-utilization"

See: Stamkos, Steven

saillias
09-02-2015, 07:27 AM
I disagree with that. Blame Tyler Johnson for just being better than him this past season.

Vinny01
09-02-2015, 09:12 AM
The Flames certainly have set up battles in all 3 positions this camp. There are several vets that can lose their spots to young players.

Gaudreau-Monahan-Hudler
Bouma-Backlund-Frolik
Ferland-Bennett-Porier
Byron-Jooris-Shore

Giordano-Brodie
Russell-Hamilton
Wotherspoon-Wideman

Ramo
Ortio

That lineup eliminates Stajan, Raymond, Jones, Smid, Engellend, Hiller which takes up a combined $21.2M against the cap.