PDA

View Full Version : 2015 NFL Season Thread

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Da_Chief
08-29-2015, 08:50 AM
Moving the off-season discussion over to a season discussion.

I'll start off by posting our divisional previews from our podcast.

First up AFC EAST.

http://ostalk.podbean.com/e/ostalk-episode-16-2015-nfl-preview-series-afc-east/

Who do you have winning the East? Pats without Brady for few weeks? Bills overcoming their QB issues? Dolphins taking the next step? Jets with their offensive issues and new coach?

Flabbibulin
08-29-2015, 02:32 PM
I think most people still assume Brady will not be serving the full 4 games. Until we know, it is hard to predict AFC east. The Pats will have their hands full on opening night against the Steelers even if Brady is somehow playing.

Anyway, I think it has the potential to be the best division in the NFL, but you just don't know about the Jets and Bills.

I'll go with this, but can see 2 and 3 going either way

Pats 10-6 without brady for the 4 games, 11-5 or 12-4 depending on a reduction
Dolphins 9-7
Bills 8-8
Jets 6-10

Da_Chief
08-31-2015, 09:20 AM
Cuts coming in.

Fred Jackson done in Buffalo

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000518598/article/notable-cuts-roundup-colts-release-g-donald-thomas

Senator Clay Davis
08-31-2015, 09:45 AM
New England's secondary is going to be one of the worst in the league, so regardless of the Brady situation that is going to be a big problem for them. With that secondary likely to be bad, Brady is going to have to be near MVP levels to win the division. But one injury to Gronk, and they are in a world of hurt. I think it's the Bills time to come through, should be an elite defense and they need a competent offense and not much more to win the division.

Buffalo 11-5
New England 8-8
Miami 8-8
New York 4-12

SportsJunky
08-31-2015, 09:50 AM
Cuts coming in.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000518598/article/notable-cuts-roundup-colts-release-g-donald-thomas

Jackson showed last year that he still has gas in the tank. I'm a little surprised at this one.

Da_Chief
08-31-2015, 09:59 AM
Shawn Lemon, former Stampeder, released by 49ers. He was released by the Steelers earlier this off-season. Will see if he gets a look from another team.

Erick Estrada
08-31-2015, 10:25 AM
Cuts coming in.

Wouldn't mind the Raiders picking this guy up as he would be a solid 2nd running back.

rubecube
08-31-2015, 10:34 AM
Wouldn't mind the Raiders picking this guy up as he would be a solid 2nd running back.

I actually like the Raiders' RB situation this year. I think Murray is a stud and Helu is a great third-down back.

Galakanokis
08-31-2015, 11:44 AM
Washington is just a mess. Never cared for Griffin and didn't think he would ever love up to his draft but man o man dies Gruden ever hate him. Cousins named the starter now when is RGIII released? No way the team can keep him cause of he's healthy ask season they're on the hook for his $16mil next season.

OILFAN #81
Hey everyone! Hope you are all doing well. Looking forward to talking football with all of you again this season!

I'm surprised Jackson was cut by the Bills. I think a lot of teams will be in on him. Dallas? Houston? New England? That's just a few.

They named their starting QB for week 1 as well and it's not Manuel (he will be the backup). Wasn't expecting that before preseason.

Galakanokis
And it's possible Manuel is released from Buffalo. Man, terrible drafts for those teams.

habernac
08-31-2015, 12:18 PM
Brady and the NFL did not settle, verdict will arrive this week. I think he walks.

Sylvanfan
08-31-2015, 12:28 PM
So who's left to run the ball in Buffalo? It's insane how they drafted Spiller when they had Lynch and Jackson....trade Lynch...now they're left with nothing, Lynch is still a top 5 back in the league. That right there is awful management of assets.

I think Brady's playing in week 1, but this is that freak year where 3 teams end up at 10-6, and the Pats by some crazy tie breaker lose out on the Division and the Wild Card.

Miami 10-6
Buffalo 10-6
New England 10-6
Jets 2-14

Pagal4321
08-31-2015, 12:31 PM
I thought Fred Jackson was the perfect compliment to McCoy, especially since McCoy is always an injury risk. So I'm shocked by his release, he won't wait long to sign a new contract.

Erick Estrada
08-31-2015, 12:33 PM
I actually like the Raiders' RB situation this year. I think Murray is a stud and Helu is a great third-down back.

Yeah but Jackson would be a major improvement on Richardson who may be cut today. Murray and Helu is a decent tandem but you need depth as chances are one or both of them will spend time injured.

Erick Estrada
08-31-2015, 12:36 PM
So who's left to run the ball in Buffalo? It's insane how they drafted Spiller when they had Lynch and Jackson....trade Lynch...now they're left with nothing, Lynch is still a top 5 back in the league. That right there is awful management of assets.

I think Brady's playing in week 1, but this is that freak year where 3 teams end up at 10-6, and the Pats by some crazy tie breaker lose out on the Division and the Wild Card.

Miami 10-6
Buffalo 10-6
New England 10-6
Jets 2-14

For whatever reason teams seem to have less patience with running backs. It's become one of the more disposable positions in the NFL where teams feel they can find starters late in the draft or via free agency.

Da_Chief
08-31-2015, 01:20 PM

Miami 10-6
Buffalo 10-6
New England 10-6
Jets 2-14

They have Shady in LeSean McCoy.

Galakanokis
08-31-2015, 01:57 PM

Don't count out Bryce Brown as well. The kid has a tonne of talent and is a strong runner but he definitely lacks experience. Flashed at times with the Eagles but was very erratic to say the least.

Sylvanfan
08-31-2015, 05:04 PM

This tells you how much I'm following football this year...I actually have McCoy on my one and only fantasy team...:bag:

Sylvanfan
08-31-2015, 05:09 PM
Which teams should we be watching for improvements this year? I did notice the other night when watching the Cincy and Tampa Bay pre season game that the last 3 teams that had the top pick in the draft combined to win 31 games the following season in Indy, KC, and Houston. In the case of KC and Houston, their top pick really didn't do anything either. Even when Carolina went 1-15 they still moved to 6 wins the next year. Every year someone ends up surprising.

So with that can we expect Tampa to move up this year? The little bit I know of them, they do have some decent offensive weapons, and a defence that could be a good unit. Plus it's a real wild card of a Division.

The Raiders have been lousy forever, but maybe Del Rio can change things up, Derek Carr was decent last year and should be better this year.

Minnesota was not bad last year but with AP back I suspect can be better, also Teddy Bridgewater being a year older should help.

Senator Clay Davis
08-31-2015, 08:21 PM
Tampa Bay has probably the worst offensive line in the league. The overall team is lacking a lot of depth so this season should be treated as a wash, and Winston spared from getting killed by the line. Instead since Lovie went 2-14 last year, he's already out of time and has to play Winston and hope it works out. I think he throws at least 20 INTs and gets sacked 40+times. 6 wins seems the best case scenario, which to be fair was 1 game out of first last year.

And it seems like the Redskins might have to cut RGIII or risk giving him $16 million fully guaranteed next year, injury included. Cousins has been named the starter and you'd think McCoy is probably the backup. So is the RGIII trade the worst trade in league history? And is RGIII the biggest bust in league history? I'd say yes and not quite but right in the top 3.

Da_Chief
08-31-2015, 08:37 PM
RGIII is a bigger bust then guys like Ryan Leaf and JeMarcus Russell cuz of the price Skins paid to get him.

Tampa has a bad OL, good thing Winston is mobile but still if I was them I's start with Glennon, who can play. Teams looking for a QB should try to acquire Glennon as I think he has serious potential.

Teams to breakout imo: Vikes are obvious, Rams can have a big year with 49ers on a fast decline and Cards with their D struggles and mediocre QB. I like the Jaguars too, lotsa unknown offensive weapons and a D that is rapidly improving. So Vikes, Rams and Jags should win a lot more games then they did last year.

PostandIn
08-31-2015, 08:39 PM
Griffin just seems like a guy that never wanted, or didn't think he needed to, put in the work to develop an NFL calibre skill set. Once his knee was mangled it became obvious that he has only second or third tier passing skills and he hasn't really progressed in reading defences either.

PostandIn
08-31-2015, 08:41 PM
Breakout team this year for me is Buffalo. That D will be scary and their O looks to be heading in the right direction.

corporatejay
08-31-2015, 09:31 PM
I follow the Taters quite a bit because I listen to the Tony Kornheiser show every day and RGIII is the most mismanaged asset in league history.

Sure, his attitude lately has been less than stellar and he's basically broken, but they've mishandled him from the get-go. In his first season he was an absolute stud. Leaf and Russell had zero quality seasons between them. Griffin took the Taters to the playoffs for the first time in like a decade.

Spuds_Buckley
09-01-2015, 08:30 AM
Moving the off-season discussion over to a season discussion.

I'll start off by posting our divisional previews from our podcast.

First up AFC EAST.

http://ostalk.podbean.com/e/ostalk-episode-16-2015-nfl-preview-series-afc-east/

Who do you have winning the East? Pats without Brady for few weeks? Bills overcoming their QB issues? Dolphins taking the next step? Jets with their offensive issues and new coach?

Buffalo 10-6
They were a decent team last year with an awful QB. Is Tyrod Taylor the answer? Probably not... but if preseason is any indication he can at least move the offense and break the pocket for a few runs. The D is still very good.

Miami 9-7
Miami nevers seems to get over the hump and be in the playoffs. I don't see anything that vaults them any higher this year.

New England 9-7
I think the Pats fall out of the playoff picture this year. Just a hunch (or maybe a bias since I'm not a fan)

New York Jets 6-10
This organization is a circus... not much else to say.

Senator Clay Davis
09-01-2015, 08:42 AM
Fred Jackson on his way to Seattle and he's likely to sign there. Obviously a very solid pickup for the Seahawks.

troutman
09-01-2015, 09:21 AM
I follow the Taters quite a bit because I listen to the Tony Kornheiser show every day and RGIII is the most mismanaged asset in league history.

http://cdn.meme.am/instances/500x/58371248.jpg

Galakanokis
09-01-2015, 11:02 AM

Sure, his attitude lately has been less than stellar and he's basically broken, but they've mishandled him from the get-go. In his first season he was an absolute stud. Leaf and Russell had zero quality seasons between them. Griffin took the Taters to the playoffs for the first time in like a decade.

I don't know, Griffin has turned out pretty much how I expected. He never had the pocket presence to be a truly successful QB in the NFL. Slow on his reads so he never gets through his progressions and his release is slow, bad combination. In his first year he had a stud running back and it was one read and run for him. NFL defense will catch onto that in a hurry. It doesn't help that his o-line is brutal but his pocket presence is terrible.

I have never liked him but do feel a little bad for him. Getting released would be the best thing for him unless he really wants that $16mil because he is not going to see that type of coin again.

Sylvanfan
09-01-2015, 12:43 PM
He never should have started that playoff game on that Field in the Condition that it was in. That's a case of throwing away 50 million dollars for one game. Shanahan should have had him out of that game a lot sooner, or not at all given the investment the team had in him.

rubecube
09-01-2015, 01:20 PM
I think the majority of the blame for the RG3 situation is on Dan Snyder (big surprise). I still think he's salvageable under the right system and organization, but Washington is easily the worst organization in the NFL. The smart move would've been for them to trade him in the offseason, when they still could've recouped a third rounder for him, but Washington never does the smart thing because they have an owner who can't stop himself from meddling.

The thing is, if you look around the league, there are some potential landing spots for him.

Arizona - Maybe the worst backup situation in the league and Palmer is close to retirement.

Buffalo - I think he's an upgrade on every one of their QBs.

Cleveland - Unlikely, but could be a possibility if Manziel and McCown implode again this year.

Denver - Gives them an option if they're not sold on Osweiller when Manning retires

Houston - Again, he's not any worse than Hoyer or Mallet and has more natural talent than either of them. Could be a good fit with Bill O'Brien, too.

Kansas City - Reid has worked magic with reclamation projects before and he'd improve their depth.

NY Jets - See Buffalo and Houston

corporatejay
09-01-2015, 01:31 PM
http://cdn.meme.am/instances/500x/58371248.jpg

http://i.huffpost.com/gen/1407387/thumbs/r-REDSKINS-403xFBcredit.jpg?15

ResAlien
09-01-2015, 01:45 PM
Denver - Gives them an option if they're not sold on Osweiller when Manning retires

Would never happen because unfortunately management LOVES Brock. Admittedly he looks better in a Kubiak offence now but I still think he's garbage. Sorry DFF.

I may be slightly salty that the Broncos passed on Teddy B as the heir to Manning when he was sitting right frikkin there for them.

Along those lines as well Manning has looked awful this preseason. Nothing but wobbly ducks and underthrown passes. It's like watching a smarter Chad Pennington on his last legs. The hope is "it's only the preseason" but so far it looks bleak IMO.

rubecube
09-01-2015, 02:02 PM
Along those lines as well Manning has looked awful this preseason. Nothing but wobbly ducks and underthrown passes. It's like watching a smarter Chad Pennington on his last legs. The hope is "it's only the preseason" but so far it looks bleak IMO.

To be fair, weren't his passes at the beginning of the last two seasons looking similar, or has this been worse?

Galakanokis
09-01-2015, 02:05 PM
Chad Pennington? Ha ha ha. I had forgotten all about him.

Didn't Manning recently admit that he has no feeling at the end of some of his fingers? I'm surprised he has lasted this long especially on a not so great team.

ResAlien
09-01-2015, 02:11 PM
To be fair, weren't his passes at the beginning of the last two seasons looking similar, or has this been worse?

Worse. Before at least there were glimpses of good throws, this year everything looks like those stupid ducks he decided to start chucking vs Indy. So many knuckleballs.

On a positive note if they can be fair to middling against the run Denver's D is going to be scary. The secondary and pass rush are bananas. It'll be nice to see something other than clown shoes Del Rio's "rush 4 and pray" strategy. Such a terrible coach.

Senator Clay Davis
09-01-2015, 02:20 PM
I like how Rube left out the most obvious landing spot for RGIII: Philly. You know Chip would love to get him and see if he can make it work.

Galakanokis
09-01-2015, 02:36 PM
I like how Rube left out the most obvious landing spot for RGIII: Philly. You know Chip would love to get him and see if he can make it work.

I don't think so. Chip's offense is based on fast reads not fast players. RGIII is terrible at reads and the short quick throws that follow. I don't see a fit at all. If he wants to come in as a 3rd stringer fine but Tebow, like him or not, will be used on the odd rushing down or goal line situations. He's big and he can run. RGIII can only run.

rubecube
09-01-2015, 02:56 PM

In the offseason I made an argument for RGIII to Philly because he would have been an upgrade on Sanchez and Foles (physically anyways), but it doesn't make sense with Bradford there now.

dirk diggler
09-01-2015, 08:18 PM
Griffin just seems like a guy that never wanted, or didn't think he needed to, put in the work to develop an NFL calibre skill set. Once his knee was mangled it became obvious that he has only second or third tier passing skills and he hasn't really progressed in reading defences either.

I remember hearing before that RG3 seemed more concerned with developing his "brand" than putting in the time. How ridicoulous is that. the guy doesnt seem like a leader, never takes blame himself, not surprising that apparently there arent too many fans of his on the team. I would hate to be a fan of that team with Snyder pulling all the strings

dirk diggler
09-01-2015, 09:13 PM
Trent Richardson released from the Raiders, who for some reason gave him a guaranteed 600k, Mark Davis should have kept some of that money and got a real haircut

Senator Clay Davis
09-02-2015, 10:26 AM
In the offseason I made an argument for RGIII to Philly because he would have been an upgrade on Sanchez and Foles (physically anyways), but it doesn't make sense with Bradford there now.

But Bradford, as good as he's looked, might be the only player in the league more fragile than RGIII. RGIII would obviously be pretty cheap to sign with his career currently in limbo, and the chance to possibly stick it to the Redskins would no doubt appeal to him.

I'm not really saying RGIII would be signed to start or anything, he's clearly a project at this point. But if Chip can make Sanchez look competent, he can probably salvage RGIII into a decent QB with a year or two to teach him. I suppose the better question then is would RGIII's ego let him sit and learn.

rubecube
09-02-2015, 01:11 PM
But Bradford, as good as he's looked, might be the only player in the league more fragile than RGIII. RGIII would obviously be pretty cheap to sign with his career currently in limbo, and the chance to possibly stick it to the Redskins would no doubt appeal to him.

I'm not really saying RGIII would be signed to start or anything, he's clearly a project at this point. But if Chip can make Sanchez look competent, he can probably salvage RGIII into a decent QB with a year or two to teach him. I suppose the better question then is would RGIII's ego let him sit and learn.

They reportedly do have interest in him, but I doubt he'd want to come to Philly and be a third-stringer. As for Bradford, I think he'll be okay behind an improved offensive line and quicker passing game.

JonDuke
09-02-2015, 01:16 PM
Raiders are winning 6 this year.
Book it.

Da_Chief
09-03-2015, 07:41 AM
Next up AFC South:

http://ostalk.podbean.com/e/ostalk-episode-17-2015-nfl-preview-series-afc-south/

Can anyone in that division stop let alone slow down the Colts? The up and coming Jaguars. Texans led by D MVP JJ Watt and the Music City Titans.

Flabbibulin
09-03-2015, 08:25 AM
Brady suspension completely overturned by judge. Wow.

rubecube
09-03-2015, 08:33 AM
Brady suspension completely overturned by judge. Wow.

Hahaha. Goodell is such an ass. Looks great on him.

Flabbibulin
09-03-2015, 08:38 AM
The funny thing is the remaining team punishment is still ridiculously excessive- the picks and the $ fine. Kraft said he made a mistake by withdrawing the fight, but my guess is there was an under the table agreement that the NFL would go easy on Brady if the Patriots didn't fight the team suspension- which the NFL clearly didn't honor. Or maybe Kraft just assumed the NFL would go easy on Brady if they didn't fight the team punishments. Either way, hopefully over with from an official standpoint. Over 7 months. Insane.

Senator Clay Davis
09-03-2015, 08:41 AM
Awesome, now the NFL can appeal and drag this out to 2016.

habernac
09-03-2015, 08:42 AM
Outstanding. Brady's lawyer knew the report wouldn't hold water in a federal court. Screw Goodell.

Pagal4321
09-03-2015, 08:52 AM
Well this isn't surprising one little bit.

mac_82
09-03-2015, 08:55 AM
It's about time justice was served.

troutman
09-03-2015, 09:01 AM
The case was weak.

And deflating balls is about on the same level as playing with an illegal curve on a hockey stick.

Full decision:

http://cdn-jpg.si.com/sites/default/files/download/tom-brady-suspension-overturned-ruling.pdf

If the NFL appeals, it will likely not affect this season.

transplant99
09-03-2015, 09:56 AM
I'm not sure what to take away from this whole sideshow. On one hand it says you can "cheat" and lie about it with no ramifications, yet it also says the commissioner cannot decide punishment for his league? (Dangerous slope to get on imo)

Obvious that the infraction was as minor as it can get but it's still against stated rules.

What a cluster Fata this whole episode is.

Senator Clay Davis
09-03-2015, 10:00 AM
The ruling, from what's being said, is not an exoneration of Brady or saying he did nothing wrong. It's simply that the NFL did not provide due process to him. Which will likely be the basis for appeal, that in their minds they did. What this ruling really does is offer a chance for virtually every ruling from the NFL now to be appealed on the same grounds.

nik-
09-03-2015, 10:11 AM
It looked ridiculous from the start when compared to other suspensions for way worse offences.

Glad it was overturned and I don't even like the Patriots.

MissTeeks
09-03-2015, 10:20 AM
And the NFL says they will appeal:

@ArashMadani: Goodell: "We will appeal today's ruling in order to uphold the collectively bargained responsibility to protect the integrity of the game."

troutman
09-03-2015, 10:21 AM
Roger Goodell statement on Brady ruling

"We are grateful to Judge Berman for hearing this matter, but respectfully disagree with today's decision. We will appeal today's ruling in order to uphold the collectively bargained responsibility to protect the integrity of the game. The commissioner's responsibility to secure the competitive fairness of our game is a paramount principle, and the league and our 32 clubs will continue to pursue a path to that end. While the legal phase of this process continues, we look forward to focusing on football and the opening of the regular season. "

troutman
09-03-2015, 10:26 AM
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CN_dERNWgAAvMwK.jpg:large

habernac
09-03-2015, 10:26 AM
Integrity. Outstanding.

SuperMatt18
09-03-2015, 10:51 AM
4 games was too much but I feel like he deserves a couple games if he truly did destroy "evidence", and that isn't even looking at the aspect of cheating.

It is weird to me that these things can go to legal proceedings, I feel like the CBA should probably have better ground rules set up for dealing with this.

GirlySports
09-03-2015, 10:54 AM
woo. hard balls win.

squiggs96
09-03-2015, 11:00 AM
I'm not sure what to take away from this whole sideshow. On one hand it says you can "cheat" and lie about it with no ramifications, yet it also says the commissioner cannot decide punishment for his league? (Dangerous slope to get on imo)

Obvious that the infraction was as minor as it can get but it's still against stated rules.

What a cluster Fata this whole episode is.

Where was there proof that Brady cheated? There were multiple reports that came out, but many of these had been proven false. The big one was Chris Mortenson saying that 11 out of 12 balls were 2.0 PSI below the limit of 12.5. This turned out to be patently false, and Mort finally deleted the tweet last week. Of the balls tested at halftime, three of the four Colts' balls were below the 12.5 level. Some of the Patriots' balls were in the acceptable range, but that varies depending on which gauge was used. Even in the Wells report the gauges were photographed incorrectly to negate differences and bent needles.

You can think Brady might have done something, but nothing was ever shown or proven. It's like how people think Spygate was some rouge maneuver, when in fact what they were doing was legal, but where they were doing it from was illegal. There are reports that no one was able to see the tapes, but they were shown to the media on a loop, and Jay Glazer still has one. Relying on misinformation passed on from the league and/or media doesn't make Brady a cheater.

ResAlien
09-03-2015, 11:07 AM
Where was there proof that Brady cheated? There were multiple reports that came out, but many of these had been proven false. The big one was Chris Mortenson saying that 11 out of 12 balls were 2.0 PSI below the limit of 12.5. This turned out to be patently false, and Mort finally deleted the tweet last week. Of the balls tested at halftime, three of the four Colts' balls were below the 12.5 level. Some of the Patriots' balls were in the acceptable range, but that varies depending on which gauge was used. Even in the Wells report the gauges were photographed incorrectly to negate differences and bent needles.

You can think Brady might have done something, but nothing was ever shown or proven. It's like how people think Spygate was some rouge maneuver, when in fact what they were doing was legal, but where they were doing it from was illegal. There are reports that no one was able to see the tapes, but they were shown to the media on a loop, and Jay Glazer still has one. Relying on misinformation passed on from the league and/or media doesn't make Brady a cheater.

Unfortunately it's likely that now to anyone but the most ardent of Pats supporters Brady's legacy is one of being a cheater. Between this and the organisation he plays for that will be the link that's remembered

rubecube
09-03-2015, 11:23 AM
The Washington dumpster fire continues.

http://www.crossingbroad.com/2015/09/wife-of-redskins-gm-accuses-espn-reporter-of-throwing-bjs-to-her-husband.html

troutman
09-03-2015, 11:28 AM
http://www.ibtimes.com/super-bowl-odds-2016-patriots-chances-win-championship-division-increase-after-brady-2081743

New England’s Super Bowl 50 odds went from 10/1 to 9/1 at Bovada.lv (https://sports.bovada.lv/football/nfl/futures-market-group) because of the ruling. Earlier in the offseason, the Patriots’ odds had risen (http://www.ibtimes.com/super-bowl-odds-2015-patriots-still-packers-seahawks-colts-cowboys-title-favorites-2030532) as high as 12/1. Some sports books had given New England 8/1 odds to repeat in 2016.

Below are the complete Super Bowl 50 odds a week away from the start of the 2015 season.

Green Bay Packers +550
Seattle Seahawks +650
Indianapolis Colts +850
Philadelphia Eagles +850
New England Patriots +900
Dallas Cowboys +1400
Denver Broncos +1400

Pagal4321
09-03-2015, 12:47 PM
Unfortunately it's likely that now to anyone but the most ardent of Pats supporters Brady's legacy is one of being a cheater. Between this and the organisation he plays for that will be the link that's remembered

I disagree and I'm not even a Pats fan. Brady will forever be remembered as a 6th round pick who went on to be one of the best QB's we've ever seen.

Brady vs. Manning has defined a whole generation of football fans just like Jim Kelly vs. Dan Marino.

transplant99
09-03-2015, 01:08 PM
Why wouldn't Greg Hardy now look at taking his suspension to court?

rubecube
09-03-2015, 01:17 PM
I disagree and I'm not even a Pats fan. Brady will forever be remembered as a 6th round pick who went on to be one of the best QB's we've ever seen.

I'm kind of wondering what the next great QB rivalry is going to be. My money is on Luck vs. Mariota, with Bortles nicking in from time to time. Though Bridgewater vs. Rodgers or Bridgewater vs. Wilson have outside shots I suppose.

PostandIn
09-03-2015, 01:34 PM
The ruling, from what's being said, is not an exoneration of Brady or saying he did nothing wrong. It's simply that the NFL did not provide due process to him. Which will likely be the basis for appeal, that in their minds they did. What this ruling really does is offer a chance for virtually every ruling from the NFL now to be appealed on the same grounds.

+1. The standard for due process just got quite a bit higher and Goodell is now effectively knackered and probably will be (should be) toast after this season, maybe sooner. And the CBA doesn't appear to be worth the paper it's written on. What a #### show.

Displaced Flames fan
09-03-2015, 01:55 PM
Man people are sleeping on Denver this year. I love it. Not saying they are going to run roughshod through the AFC, but that defense is lights out.

If Manning is 75% of what he was 2 seasons ago they should cruise into the playoffs, this time with a championship caliber defense.

Senator Clay Davis
09-03-2015, 02:06 PM
Firing Goodell accomplishes nothing, the new commish will have the same powers as Goodell. The next CBA negotiations will the chance for the players to get a better deal, but that's why Goodell has the power he does because the players most likely gave it to him for some more money. We'll see next time if they sacrifice money for the commish to have less power.

Spuds_Buckley
09-03-2015, 02:08 PM
Man people are sleeping on Denver this year. I love it. Not saying they are going to run roughshod through the AFC, but that defense is lights out.

If Manning is 75% of what he was 2 seasons ago they should cruise into the playoffs, this time with a championship caliber defense.

I think the reason most people are sleeping on Denver is they think Manning is nowhere near 75% of where he was 2 seasons ago. That, and he has to learn a whole new offense under Kubiak.

PostandIn
09-03-2015, 02:29 PM
Firing Goodell accomplishes nothing, the new commish will have the same powers as Goodell. The next CBA negotiations will the chance for the players to get a better deal, but that's why Goodell has the power he does because the players most likely gave it to him for some more money. We'll see next time if they sacrifice money for the commish to have less power.

Agreed. The problem is that Goodell is now the poster boy for everything that's deemed to be wrong with the CBA disciplinary code and rightfully so given his wildly inconsistent rulings. Only now, individual players (well, certain players) can now supersede the CBA through a judge who may yet get smacked down because he's over reached his judicial authority.

In the next CBA they should make the PA the final arbiter and see how that works out. Failing that, as Transplant alluded, the US Justice Dept will need to establish a court just to handle every NFL / PA dispute.

T@T
09-03-2015, 02:35 PM
No, I think people will remember his multiply superbowls, multiple QB records and his hot wife over some stupid insignificant allegations that were never proven.

Simanium
09-03-2015, 03:04 PM

The Colts seem the be the trendy pick in the AFC, I'm not sure why though. They drafted and signed a bunch of offensive players, but their defense still stinks.

rubecube
09-03-2015, 05:13 PM
Matt Barkley is just a god awful quarterback. How the hell was he ever once considered a top prospect?

rubecube
09-03-2015, 05:42 PM
I think the reason most people are sleeping on Denver is they think Manning is nowhere near 75% of where he was 2 seasons ago. That, and he has to learn a whole new offense under Kubiak.

I think the AFC as a whole is pretty weak again this year, especially with the Patriots' defense taking a step back. Really I see the league in tiers like this:

Tier 1 (Elite):

Seattle
Green Bay

Tier 2 (Contenders):

Denver
New England
Indy
Philly
Dallas
Baltimore
Pittsburgh

Tier 3 (Playoff bubble):

Arizona
New Orleans
Atlanta
San Diego
Kansas City
Cincinnati
Buffalo
Detroit
Miami

Tier 4 (Average with some good pieces):

San Fran
St. Louis
NYG
NYJ
Houston
Carolina
Chicago
Minnesota

Tier 5 (Improving):

Oakland
Tampa
Tennessee
Jacksonville

Tier 6 (Complete dumpster fire):

Cleveland
Washington

transplant99
09-03-2015, 06:01 PM
Go figure...

Todd Archer ESPN Staff Writer

http://a.espncdn.com/i/columnists/archer_todd_m.jpg
As was the case with Wednesday's Kickoff Luncheon, Cowboys defensive end Greg Hardy has been excused from tonight's game against the Houston Texans for personal reasons. Hardy might not have played tonight anyway with the coaches wanting to give the younger players more work. As was reported earlier today, a source said Hardy will confer again with the NFLPA about whether to seek a further reduction in his suspension through the court system.

6m

Dan02
09-03-2015, 07:01 PM
No suprise here that bradys suspension got overturned. Was a completely unjust suspension in the first place. CBA says tampering with balls is a 25k fine? Screw it let's give him 4 games.

dirk diggler
09-03-2015, 07:28 PM
No suprise here that bradys suspension got overturned. Was a completely unjust suspension in the first place. CBA says tampering with balls is a 25k fine? Screw it let's give him 4 games.

and the fact that this exact same thing happened with the Jets ands the league did pratically nothing but now it is worth 4 games and several million dollars to fight? Goodell has shown he is inept, how the owners feel like he is worth what they pay him is mind boggling

rubecube
09-04-2015, 10:11 AM
So final cuts are tomorrow. Any surprises for your various teams? I think the only semi-surprise for the Eagles is that Tim Tebow is going to make the team as third-string QB and Matt Barkley is going to be cut (actually only one of those things is kind of a surprise).

ResAlien
09-04-2015, 10:14 AM
Some thought here that Montee Ball gets cut. He's been the 4th best RB this preseason. Even butterfingers Hillman has looked superior to him so far.

He probably should be but won't, just too high of a draft pick.

rubecube
09-04-2015, 10:17 AM
Darnell Dockett cut by the Niners and Steve Weatherford cut by the Giants.

Erick Estrada
09-04-2015, 11:27 AM
It will be interesting to see if the Redskins cut bait with RG3. Browns would likely offer him a contract immediately but bringing him in brings with it the non-stop Tebow like media and controversy. Not worth it unless it's on a team that strong and can handle the sideshow that would come with him. IMO the best thing for RG3 would be to sign on a good team to be the backup where he can spend a season or two in a stable (the exact opposite of the Redskins) environment and learn the craft and how things are done the right way behind good leaders. Right now he's just not good enough to start on a bad team and he's still a little immature.

rubecube
09-04-2015, 11:49 AM
I don't think it makes sense for Washington to cut RG3 before the offseason. They're not going to get anything for him via trade either way, and at least this way they can trot him out again when the Cousins experiment goes south.

Erick Estrada
09-04-2015, 01:17 PM
I don't think it makes sense for Washington to cut RG3 before the offseason. They're not going to get anything for him via trade either way, and at least this way they can trot him out again when the Cousins experiment goes south.

I believe they save in the neighborhood of $7 million in cap space if they cut him and would remove the elephant in the room. If it wasn't for Snyder RG3 would have been cut in the offseason. IMO that team is going to struggle regardless but as long as the sideshow continues they will never have a chance to build anything. It simply isn't working out for either party.

rubecube
09-04-2015, 02:28 PM
Cardinals trade a conditional 7th round for Matt Barkley. Uhhhh...okay.

dammage79
09-04-2015, 06:21 PM
Colts nabbed OLB Sio Moore from the Raiders for a late round pick. Del Rio doesn't like him so I can only assume he's a really good player.

dirk diggler
09-04-2015, 09:18 PM

i dont think you want him on the field, he gets hurt and they are on the hook for 16 million for next year

DropIt
09-05-2015, 09:19 AM
I think the AFC as a whole is pretty weak again this year, especially with the Patriots' defense taking a step back. Really I see the league in tiers like this:

Tier 3 (Playoff bubble):

Arizona
New Orleans
Atlanta
San Diego
Kansas City
Cincinnati
Buffalo
Detroit
Miami

Interesting ranking of New Orleans. I have them almost in dumpster fire category

MissTeeks
09-05-2015, 10:41 AM
That sucks for Jones:

@SUNMitchell: Sounds like Brett Jones has been cut by the #Giants with an injury designation due to 4-6 week MCL. They’ll now decide whether to IR. #CFL

transplant99
09-05-2015, 10:44 AM
Fred Jackson signs in Seattle. Tebow is cut from the Eagles.

Also looks like there will be some interesting names available after todays cutdowns.

Skaloper
09-05-2015, 10:44 AM
Tebow Cut from Eagles!

http://www.tsn.ca/nfl-cuts-tebow-reportedly-out-in-philly-1.356093

dirk diggler
09-05-2015, 10:59 AM
Tebow Cut from Eagles!

http://www.tsn.ca/nfl-cuts-tebow-reportedly-out-in-philly-1.356093

“God wanted Tim to be released” – Russell Wilson

M*A*S*H 4077
09-05-2015, 11:23 AM
As a long time Tebow fan I agree he's just not good enough. Too slow making reads. I think he conducted himself with class but he's got to be done now, I don't think there are any more crazy coaches who will bring him in

transplant99
09-05-2015, 02:02 PM
Reggie Wayne cut by the Patriots

James Jones cut by the Giants

Nick Novak by the Bolts

Da'Quan Bowers by the Bucs

IK Enemkpali, Matt Simms, Matt Cassell all cut by the Bills

more to come still

Da_Chief
09-06-2015, 07:50 AM
Next up: AFC West

http://ostalk.podbean.com/e/ostalk-episode-18-2015-nfl-preview-series-afc-west/

Has the Broncos window closed?
Can Rivers lead the Chargers to the promised land?
The up and coming Raiders?
Can the Chiefs offence help out their defence?

Thanks for listening.

Sainters7
09-06-2015, 09:38 AM
Interesting ranking of New Orleans. I have them almost in dumpster fire category

Eh, I could see them as a potential 9-7 bubble team, especially if the South is a dud again like last year. I could also see them finishing 6-10. I really can't remember the last time I had this little hype or excitement going into a Saints season.

It doesn't help they've been arguably the most injured team over TC/pre-season, it feels like pretty much every pick-up they made over the off-season to get excited about is either already on IR, or injured with no timetable for return. Season hasn't even started and already their entire secondary has taken turns with injuries. Keenan Lewis already out until mid October. Is Jairus Byrd ever going to come back? How long is Spiller out? It certainly has the potential to be a trainwreck.

I'm really excited the NFL in general is back next week anyway.

Posted from Calgarypuck.com App for Android

Sylvanfan
09-06-2015, 10:39 AM
Next up: AFC West

http://ostalk.podbean.com/e/ostalk-episode-18-2015-nfl-preview-series-afc-west/

Has the Broncos window closed?
Can Rivers lead the Chargers to the promised land?
The up and coming Raiders?
Can the Chiefs offence help out their defence?

Thanks for listening.

First off no one named Janikowski or Jankowski should ever get drafted in the first round. Mark, Sébastien doesn't matter....3rd round is the absolute highest you ever think for a kicker. Still Kalil Mack and Derek Carr were good picks last year, if Amari Cooper works out, they're starting to get it together

Agree that the long term play on Rivers would be to deal him for a ransom of picks. The only way San Diego goes 3-13 is if Rivers gets injured. Otherwise they'll be a 7-9 win team and not find the pieces they need to get the rest of that roster Superb Bowl calibre.

KC I think is in contention for a Wild Card spot. Maclin and Chris Conley will greatly improve the receiving core. Kelce is a beast when he's not fumbling. If the Offensive line can be better, that will be huge because they'll throw to the outside, and Charles will get better running lanes. Defence is still really solid, but I don't think they generate enough take aways.

Denver is still the class of the Division, but I think it will be Marty ball that they win with. Their defence will be really good, and I expect Anderson to be the best back in football by a mile. Manning will only need to throw 30 times a game and will be much healthier at the end of the season. When he does throw Thomas and Sanders are as good a tandem there is in the AFC. Denver easily wins 12-13 games and win this Division by US Thanksgiving.

Sylvanfan
09-06-2015, 11:07 AM
One thing about AFC Wild Card teams...the schedule is everything g. Last year the AFC North played the NC South and AFC South..3 NFC North teams went to the playoffs. Previous year the AFC West drew the AFC South and NFC East....Sent 3 teams to the playoffs.

ResAlien
09-06-2015, 01:29 PM
Montee Ball joins the not so distinguished club of bust RBs from Wisconsin and is released today. I hope you have better luck with Melvin Gordon, SD.

Senator Clay Davis
09-08-2015, 08:02 AM
Deflategate is over so...back to Spygate!

Now, the owner of the defending Super Bowl champions was publicly ripping the league. To anyone casually watching Deflategate, the civil war pitting Goodell against the Patriots and their star quarterback made no sense. Why were the league's premier franchise, led by a cherished team owner, and Brady, one of the NFL's greatest ambassadors, being smeared because a little air might have been let out of some footballs?

But league insiders knew that Deflategate didn't begin on the eve of the AFC Championship Game.

It began in 2007, with Spygate.

Interviews by ESPN The Magazine and Outside the Lines with more than 90 league officials, owners, team executives and coaches, current and former Patriots coaches, staffers and players, and reviews of previously undisclosed private notes from key meetings, show that Spygate is the centerpiece of a long, secret history between Goodell's NFL, which declined comment for this story, and Kraft's Patriots. The diametrically opposed way the inquiries were managed by Goodell -- and, more importantly, perceived by his bosses -- reveals much about how and why NFL punishment is often dispensed. The widespread perception that Goodell gave the Patriots a break on Spygate, followed by the NFL's stonewalling of a potential congressional investigation into the matter, shaped owners' expectations of what needed to be done by 345 Park Ave. on Deflategate.

It was, one owner says, time for "a makeup call."

http://espn.go.com/espn/otl/story/_/id/13533995/split-nfl-new-england-patriots-apart

It's a very long report, the but tl;dr version

- Goodell's job is actually safer now than it was before Deflategate, so the notion he's getting fired is absurd

- The Patriots videotaping of signals was over 5 years and about 40 games

- The taping allowed the Patriots to have diagrams of opponents signals before the games

- Allegations they straight up stole other teams play sheets

CofR
09-08-2015, 08:30 AM
Great piece of journalism there from ESPN

Erick Estrada
09-08-2015, 10:20 AM
Wow. I recommend anyone with NFL interest read that article as it goes into great detail the amount of cheating the Patriots were doing and how Goodell helped cover things up for Kraft. Belichick is a great coach and it's kind of sad how far they were willing to go to get advantages over their opponents. Kind of tarnishes everything they have accomplished. Breaking into locker rooms and steeling play sheets? Yikes!

Papi34
09-08-2015, 11:38 AM
Goodell is the crazy ex-girlfriend. Go away

Papi34
09-08-2015, 11:39 AM
Wow. I recommend anyone with NFL interest read that article as it goes into great detail the amount of cheating the Patriots were doing and how Goodell helped cover things up for Kraft. Belichick is a great coach and it's kind of sad how far they were willing to go to get advantages over their opponents. Kind of tarnishes everything they have accomplished. Breaking into locker rooms and steeling play sheets? Yikes!

Lol. Yes, and that explains why theyve been dominant since 2007 too right?

Erick Estrada
09-08-2015, 11:43 AM

Did you read the entire article and I mean the entire article? It kind of provides the reasoning that the league was so hard on the Patriots about deflate gate as other teams are getting real tired of the constant cheating by the Patriots. It certainly does explain why they were ready for some sparingly used plays and formations teams used as per the article. We will never know just how much the cheating helped them but if it wasn't helping they wouldn't have put that much resources into it. When good teams face off the game usually comes down to one or two plays and every little bit helps.

I feel bad for you as a fan as that's your team and it's not your fault the team you cheer for make Pete Rose look like a straight arrow. No point in blaming Goodell as he's simply following the orders of the other 31 of his bosses.

rubecube
09-08-2015, 11:45 AM

Well the cheating wasn't just limited to spying on other teams. Did you read the article?

Da_Chief
09-08-2015, 02:07 PM
AFC North

http://ostalk.podbean.com/e/ostalk-episode-18-2015-nfl-preview-series-afc-north/

Can Steelers overcome their suspensions?
Will Johnny get to guide the Browns this year?
Are the Ravens still a playoff team?
Can the Bengals transfer regular season success to the playoffs?

Thanks

Erick Estrada
09-09-2015, 11:01 AM
Sports Illustrated now piling on the Patriots with a similar article to ESPN;

http://www.si.com/nfl/2015/09/08/patriots-cheating-suspicions-bill-belichick-tom-brady

Whether you are a fan or not these are really interesting reads as it gives insight into just how far teams are willing to go to gain a competitive advantage.

Pagal4321
09-09-2015, 11:06 AM
Whether you are a fan or not these are really interesting reads as it gives insight into just how far teams are willing to go to gain a competitive advantage.

Agreed, interesting reads about the lengths some people in the league will go to gain any kind of advantage. I don't blame them one bit, do anything to win, that's the mindset in any sport.

habernac
09-09-2015, 11:07 AM
Anyone who doesn't think the rest of the league is/was guilty of doing this is fooling themselves.

lifetime_flamesfan
09-09-2015, 11:10 AM
I wonder if ESPN and Sports Illustrated are also looking to see if other teams are doing some of this stuff as well? Or are they only looking at the Patriots right now?

Sylvanfan
09-09-2015, 12:43 PM
I wonder if ESPN and Sports Illustrated are also looking to see if other teams are doing some of this stuff as well? Or are they only looking at the Patriots right now?

It's just not as compelling of a story when you catch the Browns and Raiders cheating.

habernac
09-09-2015, 01:54 PM
Brandon Marshall thinks Brady's suspension was overturned because he's white. Larf.

rubecube
09-09-2015, 01:54 PM
Anyone who doesn't think the rest of the league is/was guilty of doing this is fooling themselves.

Well except we don't have proof of other teams doing it to the extent the Pats did. Until we do, they get to wear it.

habernac
09-09-2015, 01:58 PM
Dude, come on. People have been in disguise taking pictures of other teams play calls for decades.

SuperMatt18
09-09-2015, 01:58 PM
Well except we don't have proof of other teams doing it to the extent the Pats did. Until we do, they get to wear it.

Great Article that really sheds light into Spygate, which IMO probably should have been a bigger deal then it was.

I also hate the "everyone was doing it" defense.

IMO if everyone was doing it they probably wouldn't have had the cover up that they had, and you would probably have heard about other teams having these secret rooms as well.

Personally if the information in that article is true it then leads me to question Brady's place as a great QB. It's a lot easier to play quarterback, and read the defense (one of his greatest strengths supposedly) when you know what set the defense is running.

Although he has been even more productive since 2007 so who knows if it really mattered, or if they just found another way to cheat.

squiggs96
09-09-2015, 02:13 PM

Here's Spygate broken down for you:

Every single thing they did was completely legal
The location of where they filmed from was against the rules starting in 2007.
If they had moved their cameraman from the sidelines to the press box, absolutely nothing they did would have been against any rule
They got caught, and were punished.

That's it.

squiggs96
09-09-2015, 02:31 PM
Great Article that really sheds light into Spygate, which IMO probably should have been a bigger deal then it was.

I also hate the "everyone was doing it" defense.

IMO if everyone was doing it they probably wouldn't have had the cover up that they had, and you would probably have heard about other teams having these secret rooms as well.

Personally if the information in that article is true it then leads me to question Brady's place as a great QB. It's a lot easier to play quarterback, and read the defense (one of his greatest strengths supposedly) when you know what set the defense is running.

Although he has been even more productive since 2007 so who knows if it really mattered, or if they just found another way to cheat.

It's not a great article. It's a biased, leading article that doesn't shed light on any new facts. It should have been a far lesser story than it was at the time, and there's no reason it needs 11,000 words on it 8 years after it happened. Let me debunk some stuff from the article and what is thought of as fact.

Rams - There are thoughts that the Patriots videotaped the walk through before S36. This has been refuted many times. Not one shred of proof tied them to a disgruntled, fired, former employee's statement. Papers have run full page, front and back, apologies for reporting on this. They said the Patriots must have taped the walk through because they broke out some new plays in the red zone. The Rams entered the red zone one time in the game. They scored a touchdown on that possession. What are they complaining about for that one? They are also saying somehow knowing that Faulk was the KR on one play made them kick it so that Faulk ran out of bounds after catching it. This is baffling. If it was going out of bounds, the Rams would get the ball on the 40. That's a bad decision by Faulk, not a cheat by the Patriots. It also said Martz lost his career over that game. He coached St. Louis for five more years. Yeah, that devastated him. Next!

Eagles - The article says the Eagles feel they were cheated. They fell apart down the stretch, like they did in countless games under Reid/McNabb. Did they make McNabb barf in the huddle too? Child please.

Steelers - Kordell Stewart is a terrible QB, and their special teams had an awful day. I can give you stats to back this up, but they are in plain sight.

The article was made to look like the Pats wouldn't comment on it. Do you mean that Belichick might have something better to do in 2015 than comment on something that happened in 2007? Shocking.

I could go on and on, but the main point is this article is garbage. If you learned something new from it, you haven't been paying attention the previous 8 years.

squiggs96
09-09-2015, 02:34 PM
Brandon Marshall thinks Brady's suspension was overturned because he's white. Larf.

He also said Cam Newton would have gotten harsher penalties. Newton and Bridgewater (both black QBs) were in a game where the ball boys on both teams were shown heating the balls up during the game. They got a memo saying not to do it again. I agree that Marshall is wrong on this one. Brady got a 4 game suspension from Goodell. This was overturned by a judge, not the NFL. This had nothing to do with race.

SuperMatt18
09-09-2015, 03:44 PM
It's not a great article. It's a biased, leading article that doesn't shed light on any new facts. It should have been a far lesser story than it was at the time, and there's no reason it needs 11,000 words on it 8 years after it happened. Let me debunk some stuff from the article and what is thought of as fact.

Rams - There are thoughts that the Patriots videotaped the walk through before S36. This has been refuted many times. Not one shred of proof tied them to a disgruntled, fired, former employee's statement. Papers have run full page, front and back, apologies for reporting on this. They said the Patriots must have taped the walk through because they broke out some new plays in the red zone. The Rams entered the red zone one time in the game. They scored a touchdown on that possession. What are they complaining about for that one? They are also saying somehow knowing that Faulk was the KR on one play made them kick it so that Faulk ran out of bounds after catching it. This is baffling. If it was going out of bounds, the Rams would get the ball on the 40. That's a bad decision by Faulk, not a cheat by the Patriots. It also said Martz lost his career over that game. He coached St. Louis for five more years. Yeah, that devastated him. Next!

Eagles - The article says the Eagles feel they were cheated. They fell apart down the stretch, like they did in countless games under Reid/McNabb. Did they make McNabb barf in the huddle too? Child please.

Steelers - Kordell Stewart is a terrible QB, and their special teams had an awful day. I can give you stats to back this up, but they are in plain sight.

The article was made to look like the Pats wouldn't comment on it. Do you mean that Belichick might have something better to do in 2015 than comment on something that happened in 2007? Shocking.

I could go on and on, but the main point is this article is garbage. If you learned something new from it, you haven't been paying attention the previous 8 years.

I see somebody follows Bill Simmons since those were the exact points he flagged on his twitter feed.

It is a good article that outlines the timeline from the evolution of Spygate, the aftershock that even had, and why people feel the NFL was overly harsh on Deflategate.

It is not a coincidence that in 2007 all the rules that the NFL implemented, were exactly the things that the Patriots were rumored to be doing up until that point.

Patriots fans can refute the effectiveness of the teams actions all they want, and we will never know what impact it truly played, but in terms of the Patriots and cheating there has been more then enough smoke over the last 10 years, and where there is smoke there is usually fire.

In the end it probably doesn't matter much because Brady is a great QB, and Belichick is a great coach even with the cheating put aside but really you have to be a homer to think there is no truth to the allegations.

The part that stands out the most to me is that the Patriots were fined a first rounder, and had two maximum fines levied against them, yet in the years after both the NFL and it's other owners feel like they may have been too lenient with their punishment.

squiggs96
09-09-2015, 05:20 PM
I see somebody follows Bill Simmons since those were the exact points he flagged on his twitter feed.

Of course I do, but as I stated, nothing new came out of this article that wasn't available for the last 8 years. I've said most of those points many times, including on CP. The Rams stuff is the most ridiculous, as it's been proven to be false multiple times, but here we are in 2015 and people still think it happened.

I also follow Michael Hurley, who debunked any of the Kordell Stewart/Steelers allegations in two tweets.

https://twitter.com/michaelFhurley/status/641619731343085568
https://twitter.com/michaelFhurley/status/641623718733742080

It is not a coincidence that in 2007 all the rules that the NFL implemented, were exactly the things that the Patriots were rumored to be doing up until that point.

So the Patriots were responsible for instant replay becoming permanent, spiking the ball is a 5 yard penalty, 15 yard penalty for blocking below the waist, 2 minute warning/10 second run off, unintentionally touching of a forward pass by an interior lineman was eliminated, and a 5 yard penalty against the defense for excessive crowd noise has been eliminated.

Seriously, which of those rules introduced in 2007, were attributed to the Patriots, if any? This is another example of putting something out there as though it is fact, without any research into it. It's the exact way that all of these "cheating" stories got carried away with in the first place when done by major news networks and guys on twitter with large followers.

Patriots fans can refute the effectiveness of the teams actions all they want, and we will never know what impact it truly played, but in terms of the Patriots and cheating there has been more then enough smoke over the last 10 years, and where there is smoke there is usually fire.

In the end it probably doesn't matter much because Brady is a great QB, and Belichick is a great coach even with the cheating put aside but really you have to be a homer to think there is no truth to the allegations.

The Patriots cheated by the location of filming the other team's signals. I've never disputed that. I've disputed how terrible the crime was. I've also wondered why Bill didn't just get somebody to do the exact same thing from the press box. Cameras are so good, they could have gotten the same information from a different (legal) spot.

Other than that, there have been no allegations that have been remotely proven during the Belichick/Brady era. There have been many people that have made up things (11/12 balls 2 PSI below limit, etc.), but nothing has been proven. Just because you hope something happened, or are looking for an excuse, doesn't mean they cheated.

You really have to hate, or be jealous of, the Patriots to think they did all those things.

d_phaneuf
09-09-2015, 06:36 PM
http://i.imgur.com/ZFgUTF6.jpg

SuperMatt18
09-09-2015, 07:54 PM
I was talking about allowing defences to have a radio just like offenses and the new mandatory "Policy on Integrity of the Game & Enforcement of Competitive Rules" as the new rules introduced.

I think at this point you would really have to be a huge fan of the Patriots to think they didn't do any of those things.

The NFL ownership group is very much an old boys club that doesn't like to step on each other's toes and it's unlikely they would be willing to go after one of their own franchises, especially with an owner as respected as Kraft was, without their being some truth to the accusations.

Flabbibulin
09-09-2015, 08:36 PM
What day games will everyone be watching this Sunday? Im guessing sunday ticket will be free the first week as usual, so we will probably have all of them to choose from.

I think I will have to go with Indi-Buffalo for the morning game. Really curious to see how Buffalo looks.

For the afternoon, Im sure just about everyone will be all over Titans-Bucs game at first, but I expect the rookie QBs to look like rookie QBs and end up switching to Ravens-Broncos.

d_phaneuf
09-09-2015, 08:41 PM
afternoon is the start of Amari Cooper's HOF career and Khalil Mack's first DPOY season

Bobblehead
09-10-2015, 12:02 PM
I think the Patriots did all that stuff. I think it is something that needs to be clamped down on and I have no problem with the penalties as originally assessed.

I also think many/all teams to similar things, there are no choir boys, and they all should get similar punishments. I'm not sure if the Patriots pushed the boundaries more or just better at it; or if they are worse because they seem to be getting caught more.

Regardless, my interest in NFL football overall has scaled way back. There seems to be so much of it all year around, it really has become the Nickelback of pro-sports - over-exposed yet still popular and super successful.

Sainters7
09-10-2015, 12:28 PM
Gotta admit, for week 1 none of the morning games are really blowing any wind up my skirt, will probably just be a RedZone morning for me. Unfortunately my team plays in the same slot as the much more enticing afternoon games.

Haha I'm already kinda dreading that Saints@Cards game, I've never felt that way about my team before going into Week 1. That's really not a good sign. Obviously I'll stick on that one save for parts where I start getting PO'd, then I'll check out bits of Ravens/Broncos and Chargers/Lions.

The NFL being back far outweighs my excitement in the Saints being back, still have some leftover resentment from that embarrassing, mentally soft as a soup sandwich '14 Greenbrier country club team posing as a Payton-era Saints team...Payton included. Prove me wrong boys..

Finger Cookin
09-10-2015, 03:43 PM
Does anyone have any info on what Shaw will be charging for Sunday Ticket? I can't find price information on its website.

Jason14h
09-10-2015, 04:47 PM
Does anyone have any info on what Shaw will be charging for Sunday Ticket? I can't find price information on its website.

Realistically just get red zone and then there are usually 7 of the other games on anyways across all the channels.

Red Zone itself only costs 50$ I believe!

Sunday Ticket is usually $250?

Pagal4321
09-10-2015, 04:51 PM

I just called them to add Sunday Ticket to my account and your options are pay $199 immediately or pay 4 installments of $55. However, they apparently aren't offering Red Zone at this time and if they decide to offer it they will contact all Sunday Ticket Subscribers.

No idea what the hell that means.

GirlySports
09-10-2015, 05:39 PM
Wooooo! Football!!!

http://cachemediasrv.patriots.com//OriginImg/HelloKittyFootballPin.jpg

DropIt
09-10-2015, 06:08 PM
So is Edelman playing or no? I have been getting conflicting reports all day

GirlySports
09-10-2015, 06:33 PM
He is in

GirlySports
09-10-2015, 06:52 PM
That trick play was dumb. Never made those yards back and missed the FG

troutman
09-10-2015, 09:35 PM
4 TD passes in the rain. Cheater.

DropIt
09-10-2015, 09:36 PM
That Brady vs Favre Stat was insane....to think Brady will obliterate that record of wins by a QB with 1 team

Flabbibulin
09-10-2015, 09:42 PM
A lot of extra garbage yards to really make the Pats D look worse on paper.

Thought Butler looked good at first, but a little iffy in the last half.

lifetime_flamesfan
09-10-2015, 09:59 PM
So the Steelers were getting the Patriots radio feeds in the first half of the game.

When will those Patriots stop the cheating. Now they've takin to cheatin for the other team now as well.

Sylvanfan
09-10-2015, 10:06 PM
A 7 point final but the Patriots pretty much owned the game. Pittsburgh won't get very far with that defence.

squiggs96
09-10-2015, 10:08 PM
http://i.imgur.com/ZFgUTF6.jpg

That's cute coming from a canucks fan.

Skaloper
09-10-2015, 10:10 PM
So the Steelers were getting the Patriots radio feeds in the first half of the game.

When will those Patriots stop the cheating. Now they've takin to cheatin for the other team now as well.

How are they helping the Steelers cheat?

They were unable to communicate plays offensively or defensively to their own team. Sure they had the Patriot radio feeds but they are probably calling plays that are foreign and mean nothing to the Steelers.

Ridiculous how they allow one team to have radios and not the other.

squiggs96
09-10-2015, 10:19 PM
I was talking about allowing defences to have a radio just like offenses and the new mandatory "Policy on Integrity of the Game & Enforcement of Competitive Rules" as the new rules introduced.

You said:

I gave you the rules that were implemented in 2007. None of them were because of the Patriots. The defenses were allowed to have the radio helmets from a 2008 rule change. If you think that rule was because of the Patriots, that is still only one rule. That's not even multiple rules, never mind "all the rules".

The personal conduct policy was implemented in 2007, however to attribute Goodell's personal conduct policy to the Patriots is a giant stretch. The first two guys were suspended under it before the policy was announced. One was a Bengal and the other a Titan.

If you want to make something up, at least make it more difficult to prove false, than five minutes of research.

squiggs96
09-10-2015, 10:22 PM

To clear up a misnomer, that was never corrected by Collinsworth or Michaels, the NFL runs the communication devices. It has nothing to do with the home team.

How are they helping the Steelers cheat?

They were unable to communicate plays offensively or defensively to their own team. Sure they had the Patriot radio feeds but they are probably calling plays that are foreign and mean nothing to the Steelers.

Ridiculous how they allow one team to have radios and not the other.

Although you missed his green text, you also missed a few more things. The headsets that weren't working properly were the ones used to communicate between coaches. They were still able to send the plays into the offence and defence. Once Tomlin informed the refs of the problem, the Patriots headsets to communicate between coaches were shut off as well. Both teams were on equal playing field here. As I mentioned, this was an NFL issue, not a Patriots issue.

Flabbibulin
09-10-2015, 10:42 PM
Just to clarify- the Steelers coaches were getting the Patriots radio broadcast- as in the play by play and color commentary (presumably the CBS 98.5 feed). They werent getting the play calls from the Pats coaches or anything. Either way, most reports seem to be confirming this system is controlled by the NFL, and while there are sure to be some jokes about it in the media tomorrow, Im guessing this is forgotten in days.

dirk diggler
09-10-2015, 10:48 PM
Better get Ted Wells to investigate this now and drag it on for 7 months

SuperMatt18
09-10-2015, 11:16 PM
GYou said:

I gave you the rules that were implemented in 2007. None of them were because of the Patriots. The defenses were allowed to have the radio helmets from a 2008 rule change. If you think that rule was because of the Patriots, that is still only one rule. That's not even multiple rules, never mind "all the rules".

The personal conduct policy was implemented in 2007, however to attribute Goodell's personal conduct policy to the Patriots is a giant stretch. The first two guys were suspended under it before the policy was announced. One was a Bengal and the other a Titan.

If you want to make something up, at least make it more difficult to prove false, than five minutes of research.

Jesus I said 2007 instead of 2008, not a huge deal.

Also I never said personal conduct policy, I was referring to this (which you would know if you actually read the article).

http://espn.go.com/pdf/2015/0902/espn_otl_nflintegritypolicy.pdf

Specifically page 4 where the policies read like a dirt sheet of what the Patriots were accused of doing. And it may not be in the game day rule book, they are still rules that Owners, Coaches and GMs had to sign off on and follow.

But don't worry you are the truly right and unbiased source on this subject. All of the other GMs, Owners, U.S. senators and media members that are writing articles are crazy and are just out to get the Patriots.

habernac
09-11-2015, 07:44 AM
"Where is Roger?" *clap, clap, clap, clap, clap*

Bobblehead
09-11-2015, 09:00 AM
To clear up a misnomer, that was never corrected by Collinsworth or Michaels, the NFL runs the communication devices. It has nothing to do with the home team.

Although you missed his green text, you also missed a few more things. The headsets that weren't working properly were the ones used to communicate between coaches. They were still able to send the plays into the offence and defence. Once Tomlin informed the refs of the problem, the Patriots headsets to communicate between coaches were shut off as well. Both teams were on equal playing field here. As I mentioned, this was an NFL issue, not a Patriots issue.

Nope, they weren't.
Pittsburgh's staff was incensed that officials didn't force the Patriots to turn their own headsets off when the Steelers' problems were reported, a team source told Yahoo Sports. Instead, New England apparently maintained all communications while Pittsburgh's issues were being investigated. The source added that as late as the team leaving the stadium, the Steelers still hadn't been provided an answer for why the Patriots were allowed to continue their communications, rather than both simply being shut down to fix the issue. Pittsburgh will file a complaint with the league office on both fronts – the equipment failure and officials not turning off headsets on both sidelines, the source said. http://sports.yahoo.com/news/source--steelers-irate-that-nfl-didn-t-force-pats-to-turn-off-headsets-amid-pittsburgh-s-own-radio-issues-065304894.html

Edit: Still - that is a League issue - not a Patriots one. Still is HORRIBLE optics.

habernac
09-11-2015, 09:13 AM
Belichick said his headphones were also acting up all game.

"We had a lot of problems," Bill Belichick said. "We had to switch headphones a couple of times. The communication system wasn't very good. We deal with that, it seems, weekly.

"They told us they were on the verge of shutting it off, but then I guess they got it working. I don't know, but it was a problem the whole game. We almost had to switch helmets with [Tom] Brady there at the end. Couldn't get the plays in to him. It was a problem all night."

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/13629657/pittsburgh-steelers-reportedly-file-complaint-nfl-headset-failure-new-england-patriots-game

squiggs96
09-11-2015, 09:46 AM
G

Jesus I said 2007 instead of 2008, not a huge deal.

See, that's how it starts. The Mort tweet stated 11/12 balls were 2 PSI below the minimum. People took that as gospel for many months. You said every rule in 2007. Not one rule in 2007 was attributed to them. Now you're saying it's 2008, and it's down to one. It's a huge deal way you say something as fact, that is complete rubbish.

Also I never said personal conduct policy, I was referring to this (which you would know if you actually read the article).

http://espn.go.com/pdf/2015/0902/espn_otl_nflintegritypolicy.pdf

Specifically page 4 where the policies read like a dirt sheet of what the Patriots were accused of doing. And it may not be in the game day rule book, they are still rules that Owners, Coaches and GMs had to sign off on and follow.

We are talking about the same thing. Once again, besides taping from an illegal location, what proof has there been that doesn't come in the former of a jaded ex-employee (which several have been proven to be found lying), or jilted opponents that were beaten?

But don't worry you are the truly right and unbiased source on this subject. All of the other GMs, Owners, U.S. senators and media members that are writing articles are crazy and are just out to get the Patriots.

I never said I was unbiased. I am definitely right though. Who are all the other GMs, owners, and US senators? That's some nice hyperbole there Matt.

squiggs96
09-11-2015, 09:47 AM
Nope, they weren't.
http://sports.yahoo.com/news/source--steelers-irate-that-nfl-didn-t-force-pats-to-turn-off-headsets-amid-pittsburgh-s-own-radio-issues-065304894.html

Edit: Still - that is a League issue - not a Patriots one. Still is HORRIBLE optics.

Ahhh. I read that this morning, and I stand corrected. During the game, Al and Cris said they were shut off.

Bobblehead
09-11-2015, 10:42 AM
And the Raiders have signed Aldon Smith to a 1 year contract.

http://www.sacbee.com/sports/nfl/san-francisco-49ers/article34880220.html

Senator Clay Davis
09-11-2015, 10:51 AM
Bizarre signing considering Smith is likely to get a 1-year ban soon. Unless this is for the 2016 season?

d_phaneuf
09-11-2015, 11:13 AM
He's eligible for Sunday but unless they had talked with the league and had a good idea about what a suspension might end up being seems a weird signing

He was telling people he wanted a 1 year prove it deal

in terms of on the field, Mack on one side and Smith on the other rushing the QB is a huge plus, gives them one of the best pash rushing duos in the league, and really limits teams from doubling on on Mack

d_phaneuf
09-11-2015, 11:17 AM
the one thing they have done the last few years is really focused on character guys, and avoiding headcases either in FA or the draft

so it just seems out of left field

GirlySports
09-11-2015, 11:44 AM
RULES QUESTION!

Was I correct in hearing what I thought last night?

Team A kicks PAT, PAT is good, defensive penalty on the play.

Team A could elect to:
-Decline, PAT is good
-Accept, rekick PAT from 5 yards closer
-Accept, choose to go for 2 and enforce the penalty from that spot, giving them the ball on the 1 yard line for 2pt conversion?

That last one seems wacky but I swear I heard Al Michaels say it.

Jason14h
09-11-2015, 12:17 PM
Accept, choose to go for 2 and enforce the penalty from that spot, giving them the ball on the 1 yard line for 2pt conversion?

Correct.

The team has the option on every PAT to go for it from the 2 or kick from the new spot.

When the penalty occurs the team gets the same options with the penalty enforced

GirlySports
09-11-2015, 01:41 PM
The issue I have is that you can apparently change midsteam and the field position is changed. In the old days the ball was spotted at the 2 so I have no issue with changing it up if you end up on the one. But now you're changing a 1 yard penalty into a 14 yard penalty. Since the spots have changed, I think they ought to have to pick one and stick with it.

Flabbibulin
09-11-2015, 02:45 PM
Well, we may never see a fake on the PAT try again... I don't think it happened too much anyway, so whatever. Seems like a Chip Kelly thing to do, and he is crazy enough to still try the fake.

I think I read the successful PAT odds will go from 98% down to 93%.

Will be curious to see if and when the first missed PAT costs a team a win or tie and OT. The team that benefits from the miss will love the change and the team that loses will hate it. I only recall it happening once before the change- that crazy Saints game where they stormed from behind, but failed a final second PAT to tie.

Simanium
09-13-2015, 09:43 AM
I think you'll see more two point attempts as the season progresses. When the cold, wind and snow become a factor, usually there are more missed kicks and teams may opt for more two point attempts.

Sylvanfan
09-13-2015, 11:30 AM
Who needs Receivers when you have Travis Kelce?

Flabbibulin
09-13-2015, 11:53 AM
Looks like Mccown is out with concussion and Manziel in.

transplant99
09-13-2015, 12:02 PM
Bears playing way better than anyone could have thought. Gonna be a tough day for GB.

Sylvanfan
09-13-2015, 12:11 PM
I wonder if all these analysts on NFL.com still thin Alex Smith is the 5th worst starting QB in the league?

Francis's Hairpiece
09-13-2015, 12:15 PM
Looks like Mccown is out with concussion and Manziel in.

Everyone since the money flashing sign on Draft Day, I have hoped Manziel gets his nuts fed to him. That was unlikely as a backup.

Now there is hope.

calgarygeologist
09-13-2015, 12:16 PM
I wonder if all these analysts on NFL.com still thin Alex Smith is the 5th worst starting QB in the league?

The game next Thursday should be awesome. Smith vs Manning.

GirlySports
09-13-2015, 12:30 PM

Hes good. KC has dominated but have gotten a few good non calls too

transplant99
09-13-2015, 12:56 PM
Has to be a really disappointing day for Indy as they are getting their ass kicked by the Bills.

M*A*S*H 4077
09-13-2015, 01:02 PM
If Foles can give the Rams average QB play they could be pretty good this year

transplant99
09-13-2015, 01:05 PM
A guy named Boobie just scored for Buffalo....awesome.

Francis's Hairpiece
09-13-2015, 01:08 PM
Has to be a really disappointing day for Indy as they are getting their ass kicked by the Bills.

To be fair, Luck has faired poorly in openers. 1-2, 5 TD, 5 INT.

He is the anti-Peyton.

transplant99
09-13-2015, 01:44 PM
And the real Jay Cutler showed up just in time for the Packers...still a game though.

Flabbibulin
09-13-2015, 01:45 PM
Looking like AFC east will be 4-0

transplant99
09-13-2015, 01:54 PM
LOL Jay Cutler just showed up again. 23 INT's in 13 games against GB.

M*A*S*H 4077
09-13-2015, 02:00 PM
Terrible PI call against Chicago. Should have been on the receiver, forearm to the face of the defender

DropIt
09-13-2015, 02:02 PM
Cutler was showing a bit of promise. was managing the game and playing well... then got his tunnel vision.

GirlySports
09-13-2015, 02:18 PM
Pete Carroll has outdone himself. Onside kick in overtime

transplant99
09-13-2015, 02:31 PM
Seattle should have thrown...lol

DropIt
09-13-2015, 02:32 PM
great stuff by the Rams. Nice to see the Seahawks at 0-1

M*A*S*H 4077
09-13-2015, 02:32 PM
What a brutal play call by the Seahawks. Let Lynch hit the ball with speed if you're going to run

Flabbibulin
09-13-2015, 02:35 PM
What a brutal play call by the Seahawks. Let Lynch hit the ball with speed if you're going to run

Not sure if serious. Im guessing, and hoping, no?

Weitz
09-13-2015, 02:37 PM
Not sure if serious. Im guessing, and hoping, no?

Why not? A shotgun split run on 4th and short is stupid.

M*A*S*H 4077
09-13-2015, 02:37 PM
Not sure if serious.
Serious. Shotgun handoff is not going to succeed against that DL on 4th and short. RB has no chance to get any momentum before getting the ball. Hate that call in the CFL, hate that call in the NFL. Put the QB under center and let the back run downhill rather than sideways. EDIT: Running is the rIght call, play call not so much.

That said, Rams deserved that win.

Nice throw by Winston...

dirk diggler
09-13-2015, 02:39 PM
Seattles defense was exposed today by Nick Foles.... love to see it.
Colts lose bad enough to drive poor Irsay to drink i would think

Flabbibulin
09-13-2015, 02:39 PM
Why not? A shotgun split run on 4th and short is stupid.

Maybe, but complaining about a Lynch 1yd run playcall of any kind, in light of the superbowl, is just ironic and funny.

M*A*S*H 4077
09-13-2015, 02:41 PM
I did thoroughly enjoy Luck and the Colts get taken apart by the Bills. I'm surprised so many people are picking the Colts this year. That defence is bad

M*A*S*H 4077
09-13-2015, 02:43 PM
Maybe, but complaining about a Lynch 1yd run playcall of any kind, in light of the superbowl, is just ironic and funny.
I'll buy that, but put your best players in a position to succeed. Seattle didn't do that there. But the onside kick was the way dumber call. Carroll is thinking he's smarter than everyone else

Flabbibulin
09-13-2015, 02:48 PM
Mariota looking real good.

Luder
09-13-2015, 02:49 PM
Holy crap! Who are these guys and what have they done with my Titans????

transplant99
09-13-2015, 02:57 PM
Cardinals look really really good thus far as well.

chummer
09-13-2015, 03:21 PM
I'll buy that, but put your best players in a position to succeed. Seattle didn't do that there. But the onside kick was the way dumber call. Carroll is thinking he's smarter than everyone else

I dunno, that wasn't what lost them the game.
I thought their failure to stop the Rams on their game tying touchdown drive was the difference, twice they converted on 3rd and long.

Going into Green Bay next week looks like they'll start the season 0-2.
The need Chancellor back.

ResAlien
09-13-2015, 03:30 PM
To say the Broncos offence looks anemic is being polite.

transplant99
09-13-2015, 03:55 PM
mariotta with 4 td passes in the 1st half of his first game...remarkable

Senator Clay Davis
09-13-2015, 03:58 PM
Its Tampa with a horrific team, but Mariota's accuracy under 15 yards and speed of delivery is very impressive, as are the play fakes. Jameis looks exactly like as would be thought, lots of picks and poor decisions.

MRCboicgy
09-13-2015, 04:28 PM
Lions gonna Lion.

Senator Clay Davis
09-13-2015, 04:41 PM
The Bucs and Raiders played for the Super Bowl 13 years ago. And since they are without question the two worst franchises in the NFL. Down a combined 75-7....how do you look this bad for the opening game?

DropIt
09-13-2015, 05:18 PM
Here come the Bucs

DropIt
09-13-2015, 05:19 PM
Here come the Raiders!

DropIt
09-13-2015, 05:27 PM
Winston just doesnt even look like an NFL quarterback. his mechanics and movements look out of place

Senator Clay Davis
09-13-2015, 05:35 PM
Lovie sucks but you know that DropIt. Just waiting for him to be fired ASAP

Drake
09-13-2015, 06:28 PM
Suggs tore his achiles and is done for the yr.

ResAlien
09-13-2015, 06:29 PM
^what Drizzy there said.

M*A*S*H 4077
09-13-2015, 06:42 PM
Cowboys OL is such a treat to watch. A pocket that lasts for days

chemgear
09-13-2015, 06:50 PM
Huh, Suggs done for the year.

Karma? Ironic? :whistle:

GirlySports
09-13-2015, 06:59 PM
There is some violence in this game

GirlySports
09-13-2015, 07:54 PM
Cowboys will never win anything. No discipline at all.

Displaced Flames fan
09-13-2015, 08:33 PM
To say the Broncos offence looks anemic is being polite.

It is. To say the defense was anything but spectacular would be a slight as well.

I know Baltimore has a top 5 defence and I know this is a new offense for the Broncos. I'm hoping those two things were bigger factors in the offensive output today than the alternatives.

ResAlien
09-13-2015, 09:06 PM
C'mon everyone altogether now:

Haha stupid Cowboys

Edit: could I have spoken too soon? I'd hate to have egg on my face.

GirlySports
09-13-2015, 09:36 PM
why did they throw it? Eli should have just taken the sack. saved the Cowboys 40 seconds.

DropIt
09-13-2015, 09:38 PM
Giants have run a great game so far, but the decisions made in the last 2 minutes here could make it all for not

GirlySports
09-13-2015, 09:39 PM
tick tick tick, all cowboys plays are in the middle of the field.

Senator Clay Davis
09-13-2015, 09:39 PM
Giants atrocious clock management and they are already in trouble. You have to run it on third down and go for it on 4th.

ResAlien
09-13-2015, 09:41 PM
Well would you look at that, the Giants blue themselves.

GirlySports
wow

M*A*S*H 4077
That's shameful by the Giants. Well done Romo, perfect 2 minute drill

Senator Clay Davis
That's the kind of loss that gets coaches fired.

M*A*S*H 4077
09-13-2015, 09:43 PM
At a minimum Manning should have been smart enough to take the sack and keep the clock running

DropIt
09-13-2015, 09:43 PM
Tom Coughlin lost them this game, and Manning deserves his share of blame too. Even after the missed throw on 3rd down, you run on 4th and at least make the Cowboys march 100 yards in 40 seconds

GirlySports
09-13-2015, 09:44 PM
At a minimum Manning should have been smart enough to take the sack and keep the clock running

SCD said it correctly above. Run on 3rd down, if you don't get in clock goes down to under 1:00. Run again on 4th down, if you don't get in, Dallas starts from the 1 down by 3.

M*A*S*H 4077
09-13-2015, 09:45 PM
SCD said it correctly above. Run on 3rd down, if you don't get in clock goes down to under 1:00. Run again on 4th down, if you don't get in, Dallas starts from the 1 down by 3.
Oh yeah, running on third down should have been a given

FLAME ENVY
09-13-2015, 09:57 PM
That was pathetic New York. Nothing like gift wrapping the Cowboys a victory.

transplant99
09-13-2015, 10:13 PM
I am NO fan of the Cowboys, but that was a work of art by Romo at the end.

Unbelievable.

transplant99
09-13-2015, 10:27 PM
Wow.

Cowboys owner Jerry Jones told reporters the Dallas WR has a broken bone in his foot, which will require surgery. Jones said Bryant is likely to miss 4-6 weeks. Bryant was not on the field for the Cowboys' game-winning drive.

Hatter
09-13-2015, 10:29 PM
Really tough Week 1 for injuries. Dez, Ellington, Hilton, possibly DT88. Some big names going down.

darklord700
09-13-2015, 11:40 PM
Romo has more 4Q game winning drivers since 2006 than either Mannings, I wouldn't have though of that. Running on 3rd down was a given. This wasn't even close to being a controversial decision like the Seahawks' throw against NE at the end of this year's SB..

Sainters7
09-14-2015, 10:19 AM
Sounds weird to say after a loss, but I was actually pleasantly surprised with the Saints yesterday. Never expected them to hang with an NFC favourite in their own barn until the final minute like that.

Was especially pleased with the play of D, they're much more physical than last year. Stephone Anthony looks like a gamer. You can see the increase of physicality in the secondary too, once Keenan Lewis and Byrd are back that could be a strong unit. Cam Jordan was getting good pressure as well, but he needs help.

Pass catching is going to be an issue all year however. Cooks is a stud, but he's basically their only reliable downfield presence (Colston with stone hands again yesterday). That big body in the red zone was badly missing, really missing Jimmy there. The screen game was solid, but you can't spend an entire season relying strictly on screens and swing passes to Ingram/Spiller. Red zone passing and the pass rush is going to be an issue all year.

Overall I'll take it, lots of promise to build on with all those young starters the rest of the season. In a bad division, you've got a shot.

Sainters7
09-14-2015, 10:26 AM
Also meant to add Saints S Rafa Bush tore his pectoral muscle yesterday. The Saints need Byrd back in the worst way. But after almost a calendar year away from the field, there's concern if he'll even be the same player this season whenever he does return.

Unreal how decimated with injuries their secondary is, considering we're still in Week 1.

tvp2003
09-14-2015, 10:48 AM
Also meant to add Saints S Rafa Bush tore his pectoral muscle yesterday. The Saints need Byrd back in the worst way. But after almost a calendar year away from the field, there's concern if he'll even be the same player this season whenever he does return.

Unreal how decimated with injuries their secondary is, considering we're still in Week 1.

How did Browner and Breaux fare against the likes of Larry Fitzgerald & Co?

Sainters7
09-14-2015, 11:01 AM
Didn't notice Browner much (usually a good thing for a CB), as Palmer was rightly testing Breaux a lot more. Breaux needs to tone down the physicality a bit as he had multiple flags in his direction yesterday (and at least another that could've been flagged), as he has a tendency to keep hooking the WR's arm before the ball comes. But otherwise he played really well, broke up a couple deep balls and stuck to his assignments well. You'd have never known it was his first career game, he certainly didn't look intimidated out there.

The Saints secondary was a pleasant surprise for me yesterday, especially considering half of it was in street clothes yesterday. They were much more physical and energetic than I recall them being for a long time. If they can play like that when Keenan Lewis and (hopefully) Byrd come back, that could be a very solid unit...and they'll need to be, since outside of Jordan, I don't see where the pass rush is going to come from.

DropIt
09-14-2015, 11:10 AM
My bold prediction regarding the Saints is Colston plummets down the depth chart and Coleman will be opposite of Cooks for most of the year. I'm not sure if I can think of another WR in the league that drops more balls and is scared to fight for a ball in mid field. Complete liability

Clever_Iggy
09-14-2015, 11:10 AM
Winston just doesnt even look like an NFL quarterback. his mechanics and movements look out of place

JaMarcus 2.0.

transplant99
09-14-2015, 12:09 PM
JaMarcus 2.0.

Certainly possible but from the little bit of that game I watched, his offensive line might be the worst I have ever seen in the NFL...I mean he had zero time to even think about checking down, nevermind letting things develop downfield. Add to his questionable decision making at times and the result is understandable.

I've always thought Winston had the probability of being a flop, but yesterday was not really a fair sample.

Sainters7
09-14-2015, 12:10 PM
Yeah, it's sad to say, as Colston has probably been my favourite Saint in this current Payton/Brees era, but his best days are clearly behind him. His case of the dropsies have been getting steadily worse every year, and those two straight drops in the last 2min of the game basically ended the game for the Saints (NO had to point after that with 1:30 left in the game down by 5 on their own goal line). His big body is helping keep him around I think, as that's what the Saints are really missing right now. I like what I see out of Coleman, but he's still very raw. It will be interesting to watch him develop.

With the Graham trade in mind, interesting to see Seattle's OL struggle yesterday (mind you that was against one of the best front 7s in all of football in the Rams, in their own barn on opening day). New Orleans gets OL Pro Bowler Max Unger and gives away Pro Bowl TE Graham. Now the Seahawks have OL issues and the Saints have red zone issues. You don't say...

Sylvanfan
09-14-2015, 12:27 PM
JaMarcus 2.0.

I don't know about that....it's not really apples to apples. I don't recall my man JaMarcus having off the field issues where he was charged with serious crimes or had the level of off field allegations against him that Winston came into the league with.

Russel just seemed lazy, and outrageously unmotivated. I don't think Winston came into camp badly out of shape or claiming he had sleep apnea yet. At least I can't find any reports about him tipping scales at 3 bills like JaMarcus.

I actually thought Tampa, Oakland, and Minnesota would all be much improved this year.....so far I'm horribly wrong. The Vikings are my last hope.

CMPunk
09-14-2015, 02:30 PM
Oakland Coliseum is like a bigger MacMahon Stadium, no wonder they want a new place to play. I do have to say 12th row seats in the Black Hole were pretty awesome.

FLAME ENVY
09-14-2015, 02:34 PM
I am NO fan of the Cowboys, but that was a work of art by Romo at the end.

Unbelievable.

I look at it as a complete meltdown by the Giants rather than anything magical on Romo's part. The defensive coverage on Witten's TD catch was atrocious considering Romo lost the ball on the snap.

I have no affinity for either team but that was bad.

Senator Clay Davis
09-14-2015, 03:19 PM
Way too early to judge Jameis as to what he can be, but assuming he starts all 16 games this year, he should throw at least 25 INTs. He should have had 5 yesterday but the Titans defenders had some stone hands. The most striking difference between him and Mariota yesterday was the release, Mariota has that Aaron Rodgers level quick release, Jameis has that Byron Leftwich type wind up throwing motion. He's gonna need to improve that if he ever wants to be a franchise QB.

transplant99
09-14-2015, 03:39 PM
I look at it as a complete meltdown by the Giants rather than anything magical on Romo's part. The defensive coverage on Witten's TD catch was atrocious considering Romo lost the ball on the snap.

I have no affinity for either team but that was bad.

Sure, but in the end he went 72 yds in less than 90 seconds, with no timeouts (1 huddle the whole way IIRC) without his best receiver and playmaker, and he never panicked or rushed anything. His poise and calmness was a huge reason they were able to do what they did.

Again I am an avowed Cowboy hater, but I also appreciate great play when it happens....and that was done as well as it could have been.

I will agree though that the Giants could have been a whole lot better, but that can be (and is) said anytime there is a long game-winning drive like last nights.

GirlySports
09-14-2015, 05:49 PM
He could do it in less than 90 seconds but not in less than 50 :D

transplant99
09-14-2015, 06:03 PM
He could do it in less than 90 seconds but not in less than 50 :D

Very true.

As for this Eagles/falcons game....more than a little surprised by the Eagles lack of execution thus far.

The Falcons though look good early on.

KelVarnsen
09-14-2015, 06:04 PM
The Eagles are making me feel sad.

transplant99
09-14-2015, 06:38 PM
Bradford looking like a guy that hasn't played in 2 years and is having big problems re-adjusting to he speed of the game again.

Also that O-line at times....yikes.

DropIt
09-14-2015, 06:41 PM
I'm still not sure why the Eagles have been getting all this love anyways. So many changes and very few were for the better, at least on offense

rubecube
09-14-2015, 07:01 PM
I'm still not sure why the Eagles have been getting all this love anyways. So many changes and very few were for the better, at least on offense

They looked good in the preseason and pundits seem to forget every year how little the preseason matters.

transplant99
09-14-2015, 07:15 PM
Bradford looks dialled in now.

KelVarnsen
09-14-2015, 08:16 PM
Sigh.

Joborule
09-14-2015, 08:24 PM
I'm so annoyed with the TSN feed. Can't see the bottom of the score ticker.