PDA

View Full Version : [Signing] Hurricanes sign Elias Lindholm to 2 year extension ($2.7 mil AAV)

sureLoss
08-27-2015, 02:53 PM
http://hurricanes.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=777777

Ron Francis, Executive Vice President and General Manager of the National Hockey League’s Carolina Hurricanes, today announced that the team has agreed to terms with forward Elias Lindholm on a two-year contract extension. The deal will pay Lindholm $2.5 million in 2016-17 and $2.9 million in 2017-18.

bax
08-27-2015, 03:00 PM
Pretty fair bridge contract by the looks of it!

dying4acup
08-27-2015, 03:06 PM
Glad we got Monny. And I was in the Lindholm camp pre-draft

AC
08-27-2015, 03:12 PM
I wanted Monahan, but it was quite close.

So glad it worked out the way it did!

Stud_McCool
08-27-2015, 03:17 PM
Can someone help explain this bridge deal?
So, Lindholm signs this bridge deal extension... does that mean Carolina is obligated to pay a significantly larger contract when this deal runs out (in 2017)? Can Carolina not offer a QO after this deal is over and he becomes UFA?

dammage79
08-27-2015, 03:18 PM
Good deal for the Canes. Lindholm is off to a slower start than Monny for sure but I do think he is going to be a big time player moving forward.

I too was a Lindholm guy during the great debate of that draft. But I am now also super happy we got Monahan instead.

Still though, between Lindholm, Monahan and Nichushkin, that was a heck of a 5-10 draft order.

saillias
08-27-2015, 03:18 PM
He will look good in a Nordiques jersey.

Blarg
08-27-2015, 03:27 PM
He will look good in a Nordiques jersey.

You mean Seattle <insert team name>? NHL's not going to give up that sweet sweet expansion money.

Fighting Banana Slug
08-27-2015, 03:30 PM
So, Lindholm signs this bridge deal extension... does that mean Carolina is obligated to pay a significantly larger contract when this deal runs out (in 2017)? Can Carolina not offer a QO after this deal is over and he becomes UFA?

According to nhlnumbers.com, he is RFA after this deal expires, so they still have some cost control, but if they want a longer deal, they are buying some UFA years which is where it gets more expensive. Those more familiar with CBA can chime in, as I am not sure how many more RFA years he would have after that deal.

Yappin Tappin
08-27-2015, 03:49 PM
Would anyone mind explaining to me why the Hurricanes were able to re-sign Lindholm to an extension during the summer?

From what I understand the Flames cannot re-sign Monahan and Gaudreau until mid-season of this upcoming year because they are on their ELCs, so what is the difference between their situation and Lindholm's?

Thanks

sureLoss
08-27-2015, 03:56 PM
Would anyone mind explaining to me why the Hurricanes were able to re-sign Lindholm to an extension during the summer?

From what I understand the Flames cannot re-sign Monahan and Gaudreau until mid-season of this upcoming year because they are on their ELCs, so what is the difference between their situation and Lindholm's?

Thanks

My understanding is that any contract can be extended after July 1st of the final year.

The only exception is 1 year contracts. They cannot be extended until after January 1st.

sureLoss
08-27-2015, 04:00 PM

He will be 23 when this extension expires and RFA. When this extension expires, the Canes will have to give him a qualifiying offer of 2.9 million to keep his RFA rights. If they don't he will be UFA.

Stud_McCool
08-27-2015, 04:10 PM
He will be 23 when this extension expires and RFA. When this extension expires, the Canes will have to give him a qualifiying offer of 2.9 million to keep his RFA rights. If they don't he will be UFA.

All it takes is a 2.9m qualifying offer?
I guess I'm just comparing bridge contracts similar to what PK Subban got. He signed a small bridge deal and his salary ballooned to what it is now. Seemed like Montreal owed him a lot of backpay or something.

ComixZone
08-27-2015, 04:12 PM
Wait, what?

Monahan and Lindholm were drafted in the same year...I thought RFAs couldn't be extended until January 1st of their final year? We can extend Monahan right now?

- sureloss cleared that up quickly - so yeah, we can extend Monahan.

...why haven't we extended Monahan yet?!

codynw
08-27-2015, 04:15 PM
I guess I'm just comparing bridge contracts similar to what PK Subban got. He signed a small bridge deal and his salary ballooned to what it is now. Seemed like Montreal owed him a lot of backpay or something.

Subban's salary went up so much because he won a Norris trophy while he was on his bridge deal, and his 8 year deal was mostly UFA years. It had nothing to do with how low his salary was before.

Wait, what?

Monahan and Lindholm were drafted in the same year...I thought RFAs couldn't be extended until January 1st of their final year? We can extend Monahan right now?

- sureloss cleared that up quickly - so yeah, we can extend Monahan.

Cause there's no rush to sign a 20 year old pending RFA? And they probably want to see if he can repeat last season first.

bax
08-27-2015, 04:16 PM

PK developed into one of the very best defenseman in the league. Personally, I think he deserved a long term deal instead of the bridge, but hindsight is 20/20. Carolina will be hoping that Elias breaks out within the next 3 years and then they will sign him to a nice long extension.

They will qualify him at 2.9, but if he continues to improve its very unlikely that he signs for that.

Robbob
08-27-2015, 04:17 PM
Treliving is probably half way done the extension

RedHot25
08-27-2015, 04:17 PM

I believe in letting Brad sleep. He's been busy.

Geeoff
08-27-2015, 04:18 PM
Subban is paid so much because his agent took the Habs to the cleaners. A qualifying offer just keeps a player as an RFA. The player is under no obligation to sign it.

codynw
08-27-2015, 04:19 PM
Treliving is probably half way done the extension

I doubt it. They probably haven't even had a serious conversation about it yet.

MrMastodonFarm
08-27-2015, 04:28 PM
I doubt it. They probably haven't even had a serious conversation about it yet.

I bet they have.

Finger Cookin
08-27-2015, 04:48 PM
It'll be for 8 years, $4.0M AAV. 33% longer and 33% cheaper than those 6x6 laughers.

Fire
08-27-2015, 07:05 PM
Signing Gaudreau and Monahan to extensions right now doesn't exactly motivate them to keep improving themselves. Keep them hungry all season and hope they really deserve big contract extensions next off-season.

blankall
08-27-2015, 10:32 PM
Signing Gaudreau and Monahan to extensions right now doesn't exactly motivate them to keep improving themselves. Keep them hungry all season and hope they really deserve big contract extensions next off-season.

I honestly think both players are perpetually hungry. That's just their character, and their attitude is infectious. Same with Bennett. Our drafting is amazing right now.

Gaudreau especially. He responds to positive enforcement. He's had to work past automatic inferences his entire life.

Hackey
08-27-2015, 11:10 PM
Exactly. I'm skeptical that money is the only thing motivating these guys. I see true passion with all of them. Bennett oozes that competitive spirit. I think these guys all want to get better and chase down that Cup. If money is their motivation were in trouble.

Finger Cookin
08-27-2015, 11:39 PM
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-PLIC4R26Vv8/VYsCIPCza8I/AAAAAAAAAc8/H4vC_2YG94A/s640/Never-do-anything-out-of-hunger%252C-not-even-eating..jpg

hockey.modern
08-27-2015, 11:42 PM
I highly doubt money is the motivation. I even remember an interview where Johnny said he would play for the Flames and win the cup for free.

Vinny01
08-28-2015, 06:45 AM
So glad the Hurricanes took him instead of Monahan. I was in the Monahan camp from day 1.

Monahan-Bennett is light years better than Lindholm-Drasaitl

PaperBagger'14
08-28-2015, 09:36 AM
I believe in letting Brad sleep. He's been busy.
Treliving is lazy, the bum goes on vacation all summer.

Goodlad
08-28-2015, 09:42 AM
So glad the Hurricanes took him instead of Monahan. I was in the Monahan camp from day 1.

Monahan-Bennett is light years better than Lindholm-Drasaitl

As someone who was hoping for Lindholm over Monahan I have not been disappointed at all with how things turned out. I will however say that Lindholm was always expected to take longer than Monahan to get up to speed at the NHL level. I don't think the difference between them will be as significant in the end as these last two years might lead some to believe.

Bennett over Draisaitl on the other hand... I still can't believe we got Bennett at #4. I think Draisaitl will be a good player, but there is no scenario where I would ever take him over Bennett.

Vulcan
08-28-2015, 10:52 AM
I wanted Monahan but it was more of taking a Canadian kid over a Swedish kid. Nothing against the Swede but coming out of the Canadian program is more of a sure thing.