PDA

View Full Version : Best/Favorite Bluejays moments then & now

Jiggy_12
08-27-2015, 10:31 AM
Might as well keep the train moving with Jays content as we get closer to their first post-season berth in almost a quarter century. Use your own criteria and list your Favorite Jays moments from the World Series years, now, and anywhere in between. Maybe someone can take them and make a poll and we can do a ranking from number 1 down? Number 1 should be obvious but curious as to what stands out to others.

The Carter homerun is engrained in my memory and will always be tops in a list like this.
Delgado's 4 homerun game in 2003.
John McDonald's Father's Day homerun 5 days after his Dad passed away.

What else stands out?

Cali Panthers Fan
08-27-2015, 11:10 AM
This.

AhCePSe2Tac

If you are unfamiliar with the events around this moment, here's some background.

http://www.bluejayhunter.com/2010/06/acid-flashback-friday-roberto-alomars.html

Roberto Alomar's home run off Dennis Eckersley is easily among one of the top moments in franchise history, and help solidified himself as one of the heroes of the storied 1992-1993 World Series Championship teams.

I remember that being the turning point in the series with the A's (who were just as stacked as the Jays were at the time), and it was the first playoff series the Jays won en route to a World Series Championship. Also, for those who don't remember, Eckersley was as close to automatic as Mariano Rivera was for the Yankees, possibly even better. Being down 2 in the 9th with Eck on the mound seemed like a sure win for the A's, but Alomar turned it around with one swing.

Just an iconic moment in an amazing career.

Jiggy_12
08-27-2015, 11:34 AM
^^ That's my very earliest baseball memory. I was 7 and I remember my parents and family friends screaming Robbie's name in our living room. Very cool moment to read back on.

Sylvanfan
08-27-2015, 12:23 PM
I would agree that the Alomar home run is the biggest hit in team history. The Jays had a serious reputation as chokers leading up to that. They blew a 3-1 lead in 85, they choked away the Division in 87....they also missed chances in 88 and 90 to win the Division. Went away without much of a fight in the playoffs in 89 and 91 too. Oakland was looking to really own that series until Alomar hit that. After that hit the Jays seemed like winners instead of the post season has beens of the past.

troutman
08-27-2015, 12:34 PM
I remember the first time TOR was on Monday Night Baseball, and they were explaining Toronto to Americans like it was Mars. So clean they kept saying.

Dion
08-27-2015, 05:24 PM
Doug Ault hits the Blue Jays first ever homerun in the cold and snow.

fiKkrlTYwQM

Strange Brew
08-27-2015, 05:34 PM
Alomar does the tomahawk chop after a homerun against the Braves in the World Series.

JiriHrdina
08-27-2015, 06:08 PM
Jeff Frye hitting for the cycle.
He had the triple, HR and double heading into his last AB.
He hit a shot into the gap, that should have been a double. As he was rounding first he was yelling "WHAT SHOULD I DO" and the first base coach told him to go ahead and stop, and enjoy his cycle.
The game was a blow-out so he didn't need to take the double. Nice moment for a guy that wasn't a great player - but had a great day.

One of only two Jays to hit for the cycle.

Julio
08-27-2015, 10:05 PM
Blue Jays winning the 85 pennant...a result that was so unexpected to be on that day that the game wasn't even scheduled to be televised...which is why the normal TV play by play team wasn't available, so 'host' and noted "Just Like Mom" game show host Fergie Olver did the call for the game.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ksTqH28JHWk

The Familia
08-27-2015, 11:04 PM
Does the entire "Other Sports" forum have to be constantly bombarded with blue jay threads and polls? Can't wait for this team and sport to disappear again like the last 20 years.

JiriHrdina
08-27-2015, 11:08 PM
Buzz off.
The thread is clearly labelled. Why on earth would you enter a thread, and then complain in it.
Just don't visit threads that aren't of interest with you. Not hard.
But easier to find yet something else to whine about I suppose.

KootenayFlamesFan
08-27-2015, 11:25 PM
The Alomar home run is #1 for me too, closely followed by the Carter home run. Pretty obvious, but those two clearly stand out above anything else for me.

Roof-Daddy
08-28-2015, 12:01 AM
"Down the line, a base hit! White has come in to score, Alomar being waved home"

I will never forget that moment. "Mr. May" had finally clutched up in the post season, and as a result the Jays were three outs away from winning the World Series.

Jiggy_12
08-28-2015, 12:19 AM
Does the entire "Other Sports" forum have to be constantly bombarded with blue jay threads and polls? Can't wait for this team and sport to disappear again like the last 20 years.

This is one of those message board things I will never get.

You know what's more work than ignoring threads that's don't interest you? Opening said threads and posting in them complaining about how they don't interest you.

troutman
08-28-2015, 11:07 AM
Buzz off.
The thread is clearly labelled. Why on earth would you enter a thread, and then complain in it.
Just don't visit threads that aren't of interest with you. Not hard.
But easier to find yet something else to whine about I suppose.

You are correct of course, but it is getting hard to avoid the growing Jays hype - it is everywhere now.

There is a tendency in Jays Nation to assume that all of Canada is on board, when most probably don't care about baseball or are fans of other teams.

http://www.cbc.ca/sports/baseball/mlb/blue-jays-fever-grips-canada-1.3190927

Jiggy_12
08-28-2015, 11:18 AM
Bautista's 50th homerun stands out to me as well. At that point in the season was really the only thing fans were coming out to the games for, and he put on quite a show. He got to do it at home and really came out of nowhere that year to imbed himself as a superstar player. First Jays player to hit 50 and will probably be a very long time until that happens again, if it ever does.

JiriHrdina
08-28-2015, 12:16 PM
You are correct of course, but it is getting hard to avoid the growing Jays hype - it is everywhere now.

There is a tendency in Jays Nation to assume that all of Canada is on board, when most probably don't care about baseball or are fans of other teams.

http://www.cbc.ca/sports/baseball/mlb/blue-jays-fever-grips-canada-1.3190927

Meh. I don't know about that. It is no different than whenever a team captures some attention. A second group come along and have to make sure everyone knows that they don't care.
Just let people enjoy it and if you don't - easy to stay away from it.

Pagal4321
08-28-2015, 12:53 PM
Bautista's 50th homerun stands out to me as well. At that point in the season was really the only thing fans were coming out to the games for, and he put on quite a show. He got to do it at home and really came out of nowhere that year to imbed himself as a superstar player. First Jays player to hit 50 and will probably be a very long time until that happens again, if it ever does.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ao91ChpWVi8

Just sit back and enjoy....boy were those jersey's ever ugly.

Bobblehead
08-28-2015, 01:27 PM
Sept 30, 1988. I was in university and there was bus trip organized. A tour of Molson Brewery followed by a Blue Jays game at Exhibition Stadium.

So yeah, we didn't make it to the end of that game which happened to be the second of Dave Stieb's consecutive no-hit bids to get broken up with 2 out in the 9th. I heard that call from a radio in a beer tent outside.

Stieb - a perfect game broken up with 2 out in the 9th, 2 more no-hitters broken up with 2 out in the 9th, and another no-hitter broken up in the 9th. At least he finally did get one (thank you Cleveland).

habernac
08-28-2015, 01:30 PM
Joe Carter's terrific smile in both World Series wins, Olerud chasing 400. Halladay just being awesome.. so many to choose from.

Gotta go with Alomar teeing off on Eck. Loved seeing that arrogant prick get lit up.

jayswin
08-29-2015, 02:18 PM
August 29th, 2015 Edwin Encarnacion vs the Detroit Tigers.

The 3 homeruns
The grandslam
The 9 RBI's
The five minute delay while Canadians throw hats all over the field like it's hockey
The Familia being pissed off at another Bluejays thread bump

All of it, Bluejays fever has boiled over tonight, and it's so exciting to be a part of. We may never see another season like this in our lifetimes. This is pure insanity.

Enoch Root
08-29-2015, 02:23 PM
This.

AhCePSe2Tac

If you are unfamiliar with the events around this moment, here's some background.

http://www.bluejayhunter.com/2010/06/acid-flashback-friday-roberto-alomars.html

I remember that being the turning point in the series with the A's (who were just as stacked as the Jays were at the time), and it was the first playoff series the Jays won en route to a World Series Championship. Also, for those who don't remember, Eckersley was as close to automatic as Mariano Rivera was for the Yankees, possibly even better. Being down 2 in the 9th with Eck on the mound seemed like a sure win for the A's, but Alomar turned it around with one swing.

Just an iconic moment in an amazing career.

Came in looking for this... leaving satisfied

Alomar is my all-time favourite ball player (and Brooks Robinson)

whosurnabby
08-29-2015, 02:30 PM
August 29th, 2015 Edwin Encarnacion vs the Detroit Tigers.

The 3 homeruns
The grandslam
The 9 RBI's
The five minute delay while Canadians throw hats all over the field like it's hockey
The Familia being pissed off at another Bluejays thread bump

All of it, Bluejays fever has boiled over tonight, and it's so exciting to be a part of. We may never see another season like this in our lifetimes. This is pure insanity.
Don't forget the continuation of Edwing's (24 game) hit streak and one of the most sincere and goosebump inducing "Let's Go Blue Jays" chants in DECADES. What an awesome moment to have in 2015. Let's hope that more will come in the following months!:D When the camera started showing the fan reactions and then Buck and Tabby just went dead silent, I think something fell out of my eye. That's a genuine baseball moment right there.