PDA

View Full Version : After Gio who will become the Flames captain and when?

It's a great day 4 hockey
08-26-2015, 02:07 PM
If Gio is the Godfather when does he become "consigliere" and to who? Sam (Sonny) or Sean (Michael)? My guess is it happens in year five of the new deal and Sam is anointed the new don. That's just me though, I want a wartime don.

Are co-captains still allowed? I just can't envision either Monahan or Bennett not being the Flames captain one day.

Locke
08-26-2015, 02:09 PM
My money is on Moneyhands.

AcGold
08-26-2015, 02:16 PM
Monahan in 6 years. Monahan will get it over Bennett due to multiple factors. Gio works like a dog and stays elite for 5 years.

Tacopuck
08-26-2015, 02:17 PM
In my perfect world Gio would hand the captaincy to whomever he deemed the true leader of the team (ala Craig Conroy to Jarome Iginla) in year ~5 of his new contract.

If i had to guess now it would be Monny

FanIn80
08-26-2015, 02:24 PM
100% Monahan.

Maybe Hamilton. Not Bennet.

CroFlames
08-26-2015, 02:27 PM
If Gio is the Godfather when does he become "consigliere" and to who? Sam (Sonny) or Sean (Michael)? My guess is it happens in year five of the new deal and Sam is anointed the new don. That's just me though, I want a wartime don.

Are co-captains still allowed? I just can't envision either Monahan or Bennett not being the Flames captain one day.

If movies taught me anything, it's Monahan (Michael).

I kinda like this thing the Flames have going with consistency in Captains. Iggy for 10 years, the Gio for a long time as well. By the time Gio moves on, a young-ish guy will be ready to take over and be mature enough to be captain, but young enough so he's in the position for a while.

HelloHockeyFans
08-26-2015, 02:28 PM
Tough to predict, but you'd figure the front runners would be Brodie, Monahan and Bennett.

Tyler
08-26-2015, 02:29 PM
Bennett for sure

mikephoen
08-26-2015, 02:31 PM
Tough to predict, but you'd figure the front runners would be Brodie, Monahan and Bennett.

Looking 5 to 6 years out I might include Hamilton in that list too. Unless he is too uppity.

Sutter_in_law
08-26-2015, 02:33 PM
If it's not Bennett; I'll eat Aaron Ward's pubes...

...wait, what?

Point Blank
08-26-2015, 02:34 PM
Monahan after Gio retires, with Brodie, Bennett, and Hamilton rotating A's

FBI
08-26-2015, 02:37 PM
Monahan in 4-5 years.

Loudog
08-26-2015, 02:37 PM
Hard to say as a lot of our young players will slowly step into leadership roles over the next 5-6 years. My money is on Moneyhands or Hamilton.

Locke
08-26-2015, 02:38 PM
If it's not Bennett; I'll eat Aaron Ward's pubes...

...wait, what?

At this rate he may not have any left...

Igottago
08-26-2015, 02:40 PM
Monahan, 3-4 years.

codynw
08-26-2015, 02:40 PM
Roberto Luongo.

I think it'll actually be Bennett though. He has the perfect playing style for a captain, seems to say the right things and is less "boring" than Monahan. And I think it'll be 4-5 years, Gio hands the captaincy over to someone else.

Of course we have no idea what goes on in the dressing room. It could be Brodie or Gaudreau for all we know.

Coach
08-26-2015, 02:42 PM
Monahan, when Gio leaves.

Mitch
08-26-2015, 02:47 PM
Definitely Monahan

N-E-B
08-26-2015, 03:11 PM
Monahan with Bennett Brodie and Johnny A's

Coach
08-26-2015, 03:15 PM
Honestly don't think Johnny will or should be an A. Some great players just need to play and not have to worry about the leader side of things. Kane is an example of that. They had an A on him for a while but I believe it's gone now.

I think you're more likely to see a guy like Bouma or Backlund with an A than Johnny.

combustiblefuel
08-26-2015, 03:24 PM
At this rate he may not have any left...
Don't worry the forrest will reclaim the land.:bag:

dying4acup
08-26-2015, 03:40 PM
Why are we even having this conversation?

Loudog
08-26-2015, 03:43 PM
Why are we even having this conversation?

It's August.... We're dying4ahockey conversation.

Bandwagon In Flames
08-26-2015, 03:44 PM
Monahan in 6 years. Monahan will get it over Bennett due to multiple factors. Gio works like a dog and stays elite for 5 years.

Are you anticipating Gio being traded his last year? Gio was extended for 6 years, not signed for 6 years.

Out of curiosity, how rare is it to see players stripped of Captaincy but stay playing with the same team? Of late I can only think of Thornton which was a big mistake seeing how they didn't give it to anyone else..

Robbob
08-26-2015, 04:00 PM
Stripped or passed on? Conroy passed it on to Iggy.

mikephoen
08-26-2015, 06:14 PM
Are you anticipating Gio being traded his last year? Gio was extended for 6 years, not signed for 6 years.

Out of curiosity, how rare is it to see players stripped of Captaincy but stay playing with the same team? Of late I can only think of Thornton which was a big mistake seeing how they didn't give it to anyone else..

I think people are envisioning a Conroy to Iggy thing a lot more than a Thornton and Marleau situation.

AcGold
08-26-2015, 06:38 PM

Assuming Monahan is our points leader, number one center entering his prime. Gio is finishing his career and hands the reigns to Monahan and mentors him as captain.

I think the boring factor bodes in his favor. It will be associated with being reliable and hard working.

hockey.modern
08-26-2015, 07:54 PM
What leadership qualities does Bennett have that makes everyone want him to be a captain? I'm just curious to see as we haven't seen a big sample size of him yet and people are already picking him for captain.

Huntingwhale
08-26-2015, 08:03 PM
Arnold

getbak
08-26-2015, 08:07 PM
Monahan, during the Flames' first season in the new building.

jayswin
08-26-2015, 08:22 PM
Bennett. With what experts are saying and obviously if he lives up to it, we're likely looking at Sam Bennett as being a true franchise number #1 centre. He also seems like a firecracker with a huge ambition to win hockey games.

I guess for me with my limited knowledge of our young players, I see Sam Bennett as a young Mark Giordano in every way except playing position.

I kind of feel like Monahan gets a leg up as next captain on CP because he was the true first young star after the Iginla era and obviously had a very successful first two seasons. But I honestly think after 5 years or so go by and we start actually getting to new captain time, Sam will be an established first line star with the perfect fiery leader personality to a lead a team.

That's nothing against Monahan, and none of us really know anything, but a lot of Monahan's almost guaranteed next captain status on CP seems to be "He seems like the quiet leader type", which very well may be true, but I'm willing to bet it goes to Sam if he's still here.

jayswin
08-26-2015, 08:23 PM
Monahan, during the Flames' first season in the new building.

They asked about who takes over for Giordano, not the next captain after that.

herashak
08-26-2015, 08:47 PM
Gio probably hands it off to monahan once he goes into the end of his contract and is passed by brodie and hamilton on the D chart.

Clarkey
08-26-2015, 09:00 PM
Bouma.

JiriHrdina
08-26-2015, 09:29 PM
Bennett

YYC in LAX
08-26-2015, 09:34 PM
Gio signs 6 year extension. Start a thread about the next captain. K, cool.

jayswin
08-26-2015, 09:52 PM

Not to mention I'm pretty sure we just did this exact thread like a month ago.

craigwd
08-26-2015, 09:56 PM
What leadership qualities does Bennett have that makes everyone want him to be a captain? I'm just curious to see as we haven't seen a big sample size of him yet and people are already picking him for captain.

finally someone says it.

codynw
08-26-2015, 10:00 PM

His play style just screams "future captain". That's my only reasoning.

Nobody here knows anything about the locker room. All of these posts are just guesses based on pretty much nothing.

GullFoss
08-27-2015, 07:42 AM
Johnny Hockey

Locke
08-27-2015, 09:43 AM

You must be new here, welcome to 'Summer CP.'

People get bored.

lazypucker
08-27-2015, 01:45 PM
Jarome Iginla will make his triumphant return to captain the Calgary Flames for one last cup run at age 45.....

I will say Monahan as well given how he handles questions from the media.... (oops, should be in green text as well)

MrMastodonFarm
08-27-2015, 01:51 PM
Rasmus Andersson

Sutter_in_law
08-27-2015, 02:04 PM
finally someone says it.

Ugh, I know right?! That 5 hours and 45 minutes was EXCRUCIATING! All these people acting like they weren't frantically hitting F5 waiting for someone else to ask "but, why?"
:bag:

Gaskal
08-27-2015, 03:22 PM
There's some excellent arguments to be made for Monahan. But in both play and off-ice demeanor, he isn't so much a 'vocal' leader as he is a 'lead-by-example' type. Not that there's anything really wrong with that, but I'd rather someone who can do both gets the C - and that is Bennett.

Sam hasn't established himself as a player yet and for the time being we'd all love for him to blossom like Mony has. At the end of the day though, Sam has the higher ceiling and potential and he already looks good at the NHL level. So it's not beyond reason to suggest that Bennett will long term become the better hockey player.

From what I've seen so far of Bennett, he looks to be exactly of the 'vocal leader' mold. Seems much more animated than Monahan both on the bench and in interviews, so he'd be a media darling captain. The kid absolutely hates losing as well, so he'd definitely get his teammates fired up if things were going sideways in a game. So in the end I feel that Bennett with the 'C' and Monahan with an 'A' would be the ideal captaincy situation going forward.