PDA

View Full Version : Ranking the Canadian Teams

CaptainCrunch
08-26-2015, 02:06 PM
With the season lurking just around the corner, maybe its time to look at who's the strongest in Canada and who's the weakest in Canada. Right or wrong, I think the Canadian landscape is going to change in the 15-16 season, however I don't think the Stanley Cup is coming to Canada anytime soon.

So here are my rankings, in order of best to worst.

Winnipeg - expectations are fairly high, the problem is that they play in a murderers row division. The Jets are extremely deep as an organization, with lots of prospect depth

Forwards (B-) - I'm not sure if I'm all that sold on the upper end scoring talent in Winnipeg, I think they'll be a scoring by committee team, I just don't see the super upper end talent in their top 6. If they falter they have a lot of really good skilled prospects that they can bring up.
Defense (A+) - This should be an excellent defense, a tough 4 of Myers, Enstrom, Buff and Trouba is a great combination of size and puck moving.
Goal (C) - I'm not sold on Pavelec and Hutchinson is a little inconsistent.

Calgary - I think the expectations are a bit lower, but Calgary did an excellent job of shoring up weak spots with Hamilton and Frolik. If the younger players can mature the Flames forwards will be very good. By brining in Hamilton they deepend a blueline with a potential injury problems.
Forwards (B) - As much as people want to deny it, the Flames have a lot of offense up front, the first line with Gaudreau, Monahan and Hudler have undeniable chemistry. Frolik adds a fairly skilled guy with a elite defensive game to the top 6. The bottom 6 is very solid.
Defense (a+) - The Hamilton acquisition shored up any injury concerns over the newly signed Gio. This is close to a top 5 front 4, the question is about who plays in the bottom pairing.
Goaltending (C+) - Hiller and Ramo were a bit inconsistent last year, but I expect that Ramo will be the guy with more starts. With Ortio on a one way deal it will be interesting to see if the Flames try to deal a goalie before season starts.

Montreal - I think its a toss up between Ottawa and Montreal, Montreal added some size up front with Kassian who should also help with scoring
Forwards(C) - Montreal had scoring troubles last year, and while they tried to address that, I just don't see this as a group that will fill the net. They did a nice job of ripping off Vancouver for Kassian though. After their first line they don't look very good, going as far as signing cast off reclamation project Alex Semin to provide desperately needed scoring.
Defense(C) - After Subban and Petry their defense slides downhill in a hurry kind of like their forwards. Markov is decent but you have to wonder when the slide comes for the 38 year old.
Goaltending (A+) - Price is the guy, as he goes so do the Canadians, if he slumps or gets hurt this team very quickly becomes a middling at best team.

Ottawa - The Sens like the Calgary Flames are still a rebuilding team. They made a mad rush no errors run to the playoffs last year, but can they continue that level of play
Forwards (B+) - Like the Flames the Sens are depending on young players, while their first line isn't what I would call offensively dynamic they do score. Their 2nd through 4th line are full of promise as well. Ryan is the key to the Sens success as he needs to drive the second line.
Defense (c+) - The Sens will depend heavily on Karlsson to generate offense off of the backend, and Methot works will with him as the defensively conscious member of that partnership. After that you could say that the talent sides quickly.
Goaltending (C+) - I was surprised that Andersson was still there and the Sens chose to move Lehner. The Hamburgler is probably going to be the guy this year as the Sens continue to develop the late comer.

Vancouver - This was a horrible summer for the Canucks as they started an inevitable rebuild by trying to reload. Benning didn't help this team at all.
Forwards (D) - Maybe this is harsh, but outside of the Sedins who are getting up there and Horvat While the acquisition of Sutter will help defensively this is a team that's going to be starving for offense up front putting the weight solidly on the Sedins.
Defense (D) - I'm not in love with this defense, I've never seen Hamhius as a top pairing guy, but a second first pairing tweener. Past the first pair there's nothing to be excited about.
Goal (F) - The Canucks seem to like trading goalies that do a decent job for them with Eddie Lack being shuffled out the window. Miller is that aging vet and I'm not sure if he's the guy to count on, there's not much after him with Bachman being the likely gate closer.

Edmonton - I'm thinking that Edmonton could switch with Vancouver, but with Edmonton I'll believe it when I see it. The Oilers caught a lucky break or as Chia called it genius management when they won the lottery and picked up Ra's Al McGhul).
Forwards (C) - They have a nice top 6 but they are notoriously bad defensively with RNH being the top 2 way guy there. With Yak, I'll believe that he's something when I see it. After the top 6 there's not much to get excited about, Letestu is in to replace Gordon which is pretty much a saw off.
Defense (F) - I get that they signed Sekera, but I don't think he's the answer as playing a middle pairing guy as the top pairing on your blueline is a recipe for disaster. After that it goes downhill quickly. Fayne is a good workman but nothing special, Klefbom is going to be depended on to clean up his mistakes and play on the top pairing.
Goaltending (D) - Until Talbot shows that he's different from the other backup goaltenders that the Oilers have positioned as savior ge gets no benefit of the doubt.

Toronto - Even with bringing in Babcock as their headcoach this team is going to probably be horrible.
Forwards (F) - With the departure of Kessel, Vanreimsdyke becomes the guy, Kadri has to bounce back this year on a single term contract. This is probably up three as the worst collection of scorers in the league.
Defense (D) - Reilly is going to be the lone brightspot this year, Gardiner has fallen off the map, The Leafs tried to move Phaneuf but that failed. Again there's not a lot of defensive excellence
Goaltending -(C) - This isn't a bad duo, but they aren't great either. Reimer has held this team in more then one game, but I don't think that this is an elite pair.

H2SO4(aq)
08-26-2015, 02:13 PM
Calgary
Montreal
Winnipeg
Ottawa
Quebec
Red deer rebels
Vancouver
Edmonton
Toronto

the2bears
08-26-2015, 02:14 PM
So you rank Calgary even or better in all 3 categories but overall less than Winnipeg? I think it's pretty close, though. Definitely the top two teams, in whatever order, in my opinion, too.

Enoch Root
08-26-2015, 02:21 PM
Good: Calgary, Winnipeg, Montreal, Ottawa

No Good: Vancouver, Edmonton, Toronto

dino7c
08-26-2015, 02:24 PM
Calgary is in the conversation for having the best D in the league
Montreal is for goal tending

nobody else has the best of anything or even close

Calgary and Montreal should be 1-2 on any list...wow what a difference a year makes!

FanIn80
08-26-2015, 02:27 PM
I get the trying not to be a homer thing, but sometimes it's ok to put Calgary on top. This is one of those times.

CroFlames
08-26-2015, 02:31 PM
Calgary is in the conversation for having the best D in the league
Montreal is for goal tending

nobody else has the best of anything or even close

Calgary and Montreal should be 1-2 on any list...wow what a difference a year makes!

Calgary and Montreal have the flashier peices now, that's true. But Winnipeg is very well rounded. And like the OP said, they play in a murderous division that will force them to elevate their game.

A piece of the wants to pick Habs as the best team because of Price, and a piece of me wants to pick Calgary as the best. But at the end of the day, I basically agree with OP's assessment that Winnipeg is the best overall - for now.

canflip_101
08-26-2015, 02:36 PM
Oilers dead last in Canadian rankings and they are a bottom 5 team in the NHL.

KootenayFlamesFan
08-26-2015, 02:38 PM
I think the Flames, Jets and Habs are all pretty close. Canucks are trending down and they will be in a dogfight with the Oilers to see who will be worse at season's end. The Leafs should be downright terrible.

GranteedEV
08-26-2015, 02:41 PM
1) Calgary

2) Montreal

3) Ottawa

4) Winnipeg

5A) Vancouver
5B) Edmonton

bubbsy
08-26-2015, 02:44 PM
Montreal
Winnipeg
Calgary/Ottawa
Vancouver
Edmonton
Toronto

theslymonkey
08-26-2015, 02:47 PM
Giving the Oilers a C for their forwards is not realistic. I hate them as much as the next guy, but that's one area where they are stocked deep with talent.

codynw
08-26-2015, 02:50 PM
Cup Contenders
None, yet

Playoff Teams
Montreal
Winnipeg
Calgary

Bubble Teams
Ottawa
Vancouver
Edmonton (I almost made a separate category for Edmonton, since they're not rebuilding but I don't think they'll actually be a bubble team. Think they finish around 21-24 overall)

Rebuilding
Toronto

CroFlames
08-26-2015, 02:59 PM
Giving the Oilers a C for their forwards is not realistic. I hate them as much as the next guy, but that's one area where they are stocked deep with talent.

Is that why they are consistently bottom 5 in goal scoring, league wide?

I'd say OP was generous with that grade even.

N-E-B
08-26-2015, 03:07 PM
Calgary
Montreal
Winnipeg (Most overrated team IMO)
Ottawa
Edmonton
Vancouver
Toronto

Enoch Root
08-26-2015, 03:12 PM

Lowest scoring team in the NHL over the last 5 years

By quite a bit

polak
08-26-2015, 03:12 PM
Montreal/Calgary/Winnipeg
Ottawa
Vancouver
Edmonton
Toronto

Greybeard
08-26-2015, 03:13 PM
Good/Make Playoffs. Calgary Winnipeg Montreal
Contender. Ottawa
No Good. Vancouver Edmonton
Awful. Toronto

codynw
08-26-2015, 03:18 PM
Contender. Ottawa

wut?

CroFlames
08-26-2015, 03:21 PM
wut?

I'm sure he meant contending to MAKE the playoffs.

polak
08-26-2015, 03:21 PM
wut?

I think (hope) he means playoff contender.

activeStick
08-26-2015, 03:32 PM

Can you provide some reasoning then, behind why you say this?

Their talent has been the same for the last number of years producing what they have. This year they've added McDavid, so unless you meant to refer to McDavid and not them being "stocked deep with talent", I'm not sure why you think C is unrealistic.

CaptainCrunch
08-26-2015, 03:54 PM

think they have a very poor bottom 6 that's a mess. I think that their work ethic and their two way play up front is way below average.

While Hall and Eberle score points, they don't take the team on their back and win. Yakupov has zero clutch factor and is very incomplete as a forward. I have some respect for RNH, he plays a two way game.

While McDavid might be the savior of the Oilers its yet to be seen.

So yeah, I gave them a low score, they're like the smart kids that underachieve by a lot and until they improve on the little things that take you from being an nhl 2015 idol to a well rounded NHL player, they deserve the low marks.

Fighting Banana Slug
08-26-2015, 04:15 PM
I agree with the OP. Maybe give Nucks forwards a C, same with the Leafs defense. Still, the best teams seem to be Jets/Flames with somewhat shaky goaltending, whereas Montreal has the best goaltending, with a somewhat shaky team (scoring).

theslymonkey
08-26-2015, 04:22 PM
Lowest scoring team in the NHL over the last 5 years

By quite a bit

Is that why they are consistently bottom 5 in goal scoring, league wide?

I'd say OP was generous with that grade even.

We all know that goal scoring is a team based stat. The Oilers Defensman's lack of ability to make a proper first pass, coupled with no one to QB the PP is their reason for a lack of goal scoring.

To say that their forward group is a C with the likes of McDavid, Hall, Eberle, RNH, Pouliot, Yakupov, Draisaitl, would be very Homeresque.

I hate the Oilers, but their skill at forward is to be feared. If they had the Flames D, they would be scoring at will.

Enoch Root
08-26-2015, 04:29 PM
We all know that goal scoring is a team based stat. The Oilers Defensman's lack of ability to make a proper first pass, coupled with no one to QB the PP is their reason for a lack of goal scoring.

To say that their forward group is a C with the likes of McDavid, Hall, Eberle, RNH, Pouliot, Yakupov, Draisaitl, would be very Homeresque.

I hate the Oilers, but their skill at forward is to be feared. If they had the Flames D, they would be scoring at will.

But it's not though. They aren't scaring anyone.

While I agree that the D has been woeful, to blame all of their lack of scoring on the D is a bit simplistic to say the least.

The Oilers have had lots of brand recognition on offense because of the high draft picks. But the bottom line is that those players have been terrible. Awful. Scary, yes - but not in a good way.

CaptainCrunch
08-26-2015, 04:36 PM

Ok lets look at this

Yakupov - has been generally terrible, he's had two spurts, late in the year with no pressure, other then that he's been invisible. You can talk about potentials and ceilings, but when I watch him play I see a guy with a good shot, and straight ahead speed and that's it.

Eberle - He gets points but he's softer then a baby fighting Mike Tyson and has zero defensive game. He's as one dimensional as they come.

Poulliot - He's a bottom 6'er that takes bad penalties, makes bone headed plays and is inconsistent for long stretches.

Draisaitl - Did you see him play when he was in the NHL last year, he could barely keep up to the play. He'll probably be good, but if he is in the Oilers lineup this year it illustrates how bad the Oilers depth is

RNH - I have respect for him, he's skilled, he plays a decent two way game.

Hall - He's good offensively, terrible without the puck, doesn't care about backchecking at all.

Mcmanfromuncle - Sure he's a great talent, but until we see him at the NHL level against men, how do we grade him. He could be great, he could come up and get crushed, its happened before in the NHL with surefire number 1 draft picks.

Its not a particularly well put together group of forwards. as a whole they're a disaster without the puck, and as a whole they're soft and inconsistent.

So yeah, in my mind my mark is more about what I've seen after watching a ton of Oilers hockey and less about so called homerism.

KootenayFlamesFan
08-26-2015, 04:37 PM

Draisatl may not even make the team. Pouliot is underwhelming. And the others have some nice offensive skill but the game is more than the odd deke or breakaway goal. That's the rub for the Oilers 'star' forwards....Eberle is not good defensively at all, neither is Hall and his IQ is poor as well, Yakupov looks like a bit of a one trick pony. I don't mind RNH's two-way game, at least it looks like he cares. And as fantastic as McDavid may be, he hasn't played a single game yet.

If they put everything together, sure, they could put up some points, but that's a big if, plus they need to help out their team in other areas. Not sure a 'C' grade is very far off as we sit here today.

CaptainCrunch
08-26-2015, 04:38 PM
hate the Oilers, but their skill at forward is to be feared. If they had the Flames D, they would be scoring at will

With all due respect, on this, I don't think teams fear them as much as they lick their lips in anticipation when they're on the ice and they give up the puck because it always seems to become a long odd man rush.

theslymonkey
08-26-2015, 04:40 PM
But it's not though. They aren't scaring anyone.

While I agree that the D has been woeful, to blame all of their lack of scoring on the D is a bit simplistic to say the least.

The Oilers have had lots of brand recognition on offense because of the high draft picks. But the bottom line is that those players have been terrible. Awful. Scary, yes - but not in a good way.

I'm glad you see them through Red colored glasses, but I see them for what they are... A ticking time bomb.

They finally dumped the boys club upstairs.
Got a real NHL coach.
Hall is an elite LW.
McDavid is generational.
Eberle is a very good RW
RNH is a great #2C
Yak, Pouliot, Draisaitl are all good second line options.

That right there is enough to be a little afraid of.
If they had more than a cardboard box for a goalie and someone other than the orange cones that they use for defensemen. They would be a dangerous.

Now the problem is that they aren't anywhere near competent on the back end. But grading their Forwards as a C is not realistic.

Scornfire
08-26-2015, 04:46 PM
I'm not sure I'd call them a "Ticking time bomb", pretty sure I've already seen them blow up in their own end about a thousand times. At this point I'm just curious as to how expansive their munition supply is, they've gotten so good at sucking it's almost an art

FBI
08-26-2015, 04:49 PM
Anyone calling the Oilers offense awesome must either be an oil fan or an oiler sympathizer.
They haven't shown anything ever. It might change this year but I doubt it.

Enoch Root
08-26-2015, 04:59 PM
I'm glad you see them through Red colored glasses, but I see them for what they are... A ticking time bomb.

Got a real NHL coach.
Hall is an elite LW.
McDavid is generational.
Eberle is a very good RW
RNH is a great #2C

If they had more than a cardboard box for a goalie and someone other than the orange cones that they use for defensemen. They would be a dangerous.

Now the problem is that they aren't anywhere near competent on the back end. But grading their Forwards as a C is not realistic.

Is that the best you can do?

You said they are to be feared. My reply is that other teams simply do not fear them - and have no reason to. Playing the Oilers is a night off.

There is more to building a hockey team than having a couple offensive talents. Their forward group - as a group - is deeply flawed, buttery soft, and lacking in leadership and fortitude.

You think they're awesome - great. But just because people disagree with you (pretty much everyone so far), doesn't mean they are homers.

theslymonkey
08-26-2015, 05:01 PM
Anyone calling the Oilers offense awesome must either be an oil fan or an oiler sympathizer.
They haven't shown anything ever. It might change this year but I doubt it.

Alright, I retract my objective view and will join the Circle Jerk.
The Flames are amazing and the Oilers suck.

PS. One year ago the Flames had the worst Forwards in Canada, and now we're the best? Come on already...

The Flames have 3 legit top six forwards as of today. If you take McDavid, Hall, Eberle, and RNH to any other team, they would still be top 6 players. So to say that their top six is thin doesn't make sense.

Pouliot, Draisaitl, Yak have every bit the same potential as Frolik, Bennett, and Backlund.

What sets Calgary's team apart is the offense from our D and how that relates to our Forwards. Solid puck moving D drives the Forwards.

KootenayFlamesFan
08-26-2015, 05:05 PM
What sets Calgary's team apart is the offense from our D and how that relates to our Forwards. Solid puck moving D drives the Forwards.

No. What sets them apart is that the Flames best forwards are also very good defensively. When your forwards come back to help out, you gain possession, move up the ice as a unit and create offense.

If you have forwards that glide back or have no clue how to play in their own zone it's tough to gain possession and get back into the offensive zone.

CaptainCrunch
08-26-2015, 05:05 PM

Got a real NHL coach. (Hopefulyl he can manage egos better then he did in SJ)
Hall is an elite LW. (He's a elite one way LW, he's not a complete package as a player which means he's not overall elite)
McDavid is generational. (Maybe, but maybe we should wait and see what he does in the NHL)
Eberle is a very good RW (softer then a poop on taco Tuesday, a liability defensively)
RNH is a great #2C (Agreed)
Yak, Pouliot, Draisaitl are all good second line options. (out of that I might agree with Pouliot, but I still think he's more of a third liner. Yak hasn't done anything to prove that, Draisaitl based on last year in the NHL isn't ready, you can talk about what he did in the WHL, but he'd better dominate in the WHL)

The forwards for the Oilers are just as much to blame for the ga and lack of offense as the blueline is.

theslymonkey
08-26-2015, 05:07 PM
Is that the best you can do?

You said they are to be feared. My reply is that other teams simply do not fear them - and have no reason to. Playing the Oilers is a night off.

There is more to building a hockey team than having a couple offensive talents. Their forward group - as a group - is deeply flawed, buttery soft, and lacking in leadership and fortitude.

You think they're awesome - great. But just because people disagree with you (pretty much everyone so far), doesn't mean they are homers.

Oh good grief. I never said they're awesome. But an educated fan can see the strengths of the other teams. Even the Oilers have strengths. Just because their team sucks doesn't mean they don't have areas of strength.

I realize this is a Flames board, but looking at things objectively is far more healthy than bashing obsessively.

Enoch Root
08-26-2015, 05:09 PM

PS. One year ago the Flames had the worst Forwards in Canada, and now we're the best? Come on already...

The Flames have 3 legit top six forwards as of today. If you take McDavid, Hall, Eberle, and RNH to any other team, they would still be top 6 players. So to say that their top six is thin doesn't make sense.

Pouliot, Draisaitl, Yak have every bit the same potential as Frolik, Bennett, and Backlund.

Are you incapable of discussing something without the whining and insults?

And no one said the Flames were the best.

However, the Flames are more balanced and well-rounded (a point you continue to struggle with), while the Oilers are one-dimensional.

It isn't all on the defense - their whole team is poorly constructed.

CaptainCrunch
08-26-2015, 05:10 PM

First of all, if you read your post in the tone of an overtired 6 year old it sounds awesome.

second of all to the boarded, no Frolik is just plain better then Pouliot especially as a two way forward, and has a better work ethic.

Bennett actually got to the NHL and looked like an NHL player and contributed, Drai was clearly not ready, and I wouldn't trade Bennett for Drai and nobody would. Backlund is considered to be a very good two way forward, what has Yak done except flounder.

I wouldn't even come close to trading our three that you listed for your three, and that isn't homerism, that's common sense.

theslymonkey
08-26-2015, 05:10 PM
The forwards for the Oilers are just as much to blame for the ga and lack of offense as the blueline is.

Now that's fair and objective. Well put, I don't completely agree but I can see that side.

theslymonkey
08-26-2015, 05:13 PM
First of all, if you read your post in the tone of an overtired 6 year old it sounds awesome.

second of all to the boarded, no Frolik is just plain better then Pouliot especially as a two way forward, and has a better work ethic.

Bennett actually got to the NHL and looked like an NHL player and contributed, Drai was clearly not ready, and I wouldn't trade Bennett for Drai and nobody would. Backlund is considered to be a very good two way forward, what has Yak done except flounder.

I wouldn't even come close to trading our three that you listed for your three, and that isn't homerism, that's common sense.

Right, but the Oilers have 4 legit top six forwards, Flames have 3. The others could be argued as 2/3 line players.

So with that in mind the trade isn't what I meant. I'm just saying that Flames forwards are not as drastically better than what was originally posted.

theslymonkey
08-26-2015, 05:18 PM
Are you incapable of discussing something without the whining and insults?

And no one said the Flames were the best.

However, the Flames are more balanced and well-rounded (a point you continue to struggle with), while the Oilers are one-dimensional.

It isn't all on the defense - their whole team is poorly constructed.

Relax, and discuss rather than searching for my tone of voice.

I am as die hard Flames fan as the next but I do recognize and respect the strengths of the Oilers. I can't stand them, but I do see their goal scoring potential as probably the best in the pacific.

It's not what they have done but what they could do as early as this year.

CorsiHockeyLeague
08-26-2015, 05:29 PM
If we're ranking in terms of who I think would win a game on any given day as of right now,

Winnipeg
Montreal
Vancouver
Calgary
Ottawa
Edmonton
Toronto

If we're ranking in terms of overall organizational health,

Winnipeg
Calgary
Montreal
Edmonton
Ottawa
Toronto
Vancouver

getbak
08-26-2015, 05:39 PM
http://www.superstarssports.com/images/flames%20foam%20finger.png

Flames are #1.

All others are Number Two (that means poop).

GGG
08-26-2015, 05:42 PM
If we're ranking in terms of who I think would win a game on any given day as of right now,

Winnipeg
Montreal
Vancouver
Calgary
Ottawa
Edmonton
Toronto

If we're ranking in terms of overall organizational health,

Winnipeg
Calgary
Montreal
Edmonton
Ottawa
Toronto
Vancouver

Why Vancouver over Calgary for any given day?

Calgary just beat them in 6 games, and improved the team in the off season.
Vancouver remained status quo and got older. What changes do you see that would change the results of that playoff series?

Jets4Life
08-26-2015, 05:55 PM
If the Jets choose to elevate hellebuyck into the starting lineup:

1. Winnipeg
2. Calgary
3. Montreal
4. Ottawa
5. Edmonton
6. Vancouver
7. Toronto

If the Jets choose to leave hellebuyck in the AHL:

1. Calgary
2. Montreal
3. Winnipeg
4. Ottawa
5. Edmonton
6. Vancouver
7. Toronto

the2bears
08-26-2015, 06:04 PM

Sure you do :rolleyes:

Stud_McCool
08-26-2015, 06:13 PM
If the Jets choose to elevate hellebuyck into the starting lineup:

1. Winnipeg
2. Calgary
3. Montreal
4. Ottawa
5. Edmonton
6. Vancouver
7. Toronto

If the Jets choose to leave hellebuyck in the AHL:

1. Calgary
2. Montreal
3. Winnipeg
4. Ottawa
5. Edmonton
6. Vancouver
7. Toronto

You think Hellebuyck has a higher Moses percentage than McDavid?

Jets4Life
08-26-2015, 06:41 PM
You think Hellebuyck has a higher Moses percentage than McDavid?

Of course not.

However, Pavelec is mediocre, and players figured out Hutch after ASG. Hellebuyck has what it takes to become a future Vezina Trophy winner.

I just pray the Jets don't pull a "Vancouver" and trade him away before he gets his chance to shine.

calgaryblood
08-26-2015, 07:01 PM
What have the Jets done that gets them ranked so high?

FireGilbert
08-26-2015, 07:57 PM
1. Montreal: MVP goalie, solid defence and a balanced forward group. Should be a contender to come out of the East.
2. Calgary: Improving team with solid prospects and had a great off season. Look to be a playoff lock in the weak Pacific division.
3. Winnipeg: Improving team that also has solid prospects but did not do much in the off season and is relying on younger players to step up. Would be a playoff lock in any other division but should still be a favourite to grab a wild card.
4. Ottawa: Another team coming out of a rebuild. Do not have the prospects of Calgary or Winnipeg but should be able to once again content for a playoff spot.
5. Vancouver: Definitely on the downswing but still have a great top line and solid top 4 defence. Will likely miss playoffs but could content for a wild card spot.
6. Edmonton: Jesus saves but unfortunately for the Oilers McJesus can only score. The team still has massive question marks on defence and goaltending that will take more than a GM and coaching change to fix.
7. Toronto: No need for an explanation, a bad team entering a long rebuild.

H2SO4(aq)
08-26-2015, 08:19 PM

Got a real NHL coach.
Hall is an elite LW.
McDavid is generational.
Eberle is a very good RW
RNH is a great #2C

Okay lets just take this one point at a time, objectively:

Old boys club: yep, both lowe and Mactavish are still within the organization, so glad they have finally put that to rest...

Coach: wait and see on how he does but you are casually ignoring the fact that he got let go by SJ for a reason (not winning).

Hall: Scores goals, injury prone, worst hockey sense I've ever watched out of an "elite LW"

McGeneration: Past Generational talents: Tavares, Stamkos, Crosby, Mackinnon list goes on. He likely will be good, but I honestly have no clue what Generational means anymore

Eberle: Still living off his World Jr. success and his epic dangle against ian white. Terrible defensively, doesn't work very hard for a soft player, expects his "soft mitts" and "sick celeys" to make noise for him.

RNH: Strong skater, skilled hockey player, competes hard on both sides of the puck. Too soft a game to ever be a true #1 in the tough, heavy western conference.

Yak: worst +/- 2 years running (i believe). nuff said.

Pouliot: Career stats padded due to playing with Stamkos. Bottom six winger, he is really just a bigger bodied Mason Raymond.

Daisaitl: Lets see how he recovers from being thrown into the lions den last season.

Give it a rest bud, nobody is fearful of the Oilers forwards, until the oilers forwards decide to do something about it.

spuzzum
08-26-2015, 08:55 PM
Swap top 6 forward groups between Edmonton and Calgary, I'd have to seriously consider it.

Hall - RNH - Eberle
Perron - McDavid - Yak

JH - Money - Hudler
Bennett - Backlund - Frolik

Edmonton's lineup with McJesus is sexier on paper but the Flames top isn't far behind.

Jacks
08-26-2015, 08:59 PM
1) Mtl - Until proven otherwise they are the only CDN team that has a legit shot of making the finals let alone winning the cup.
Tied, toss up for who takes 3rd in division.
2-3) Cgy - I think we've caught up to Wpg but don't think we've passed them yet, at least not by much.
2-3) Wpg - They were clearly the better team last year but we've improved more.
4) Ott - Just a little step behind the top 3.
Tied
5-6) Van - Clearly on the way down.
5-6) Edm - I hate the greasers as much as anyone but they are improved on management, coaching, defence, goal and offense. They aren't making the playoffs but they won't be close to the bottom.
6) Tor - They won't be as bad as people think but they'll still be bottom 5 in the league.

Enoch Root
08-26-2015, 09:04 PM
Swap top 6 forward groups between Edmonton and Calgary, I'd have to seriously consider it.

Hall - RNH - Eberle
Perron - McDavid - Yak

JH - Money - Hudler

Edmonton's lineup with McJesus is sexier on paper but the Flames top isn't far behind.

Perron is gone

Jay Random
08-26-2015, 09:05 PM
1) Mtl - Until proven otherwise they are the only CDN team that has a legit shot of making the finals let alone winning the cup.

Er, OK. What have the Habs done to prove that they have a legit shot of making the finals?

MrMastodonFarm
08-26-2015, 09:19 PM
1. Calgary
2. Montreal
3. Ottawa
4. Toronto
5. Vancouver
6. Edmonton

Jacks
08-26-2015, 09:20 PM
Er, OK. What have the Habs done to prove that they have a legit shot of making the finals?
Won playoff series, best goalie in the league.

codynw
08-26-2015, 09:33 PM

Making the conference finals in 2014? They were two wins away from the finals.

CaptainCrunch
08-26-2015, 09:39 PM
Right, but the Oilers have 4 legit top six forwards, Flames have 3. The others could be argued as 2/3 line players.

So with that in mind the trade isn't what I meant. I'm just saying that Flames forwards are not as drastically better than what was originally posted.

Um Monahan, Gaudreau, Hudler, Backlund has been effective in the top 6, Frolik is a top 6 forward. So I count 5.

I just can't count Draisaitl as a top 6, and I'm not convinced that Yak is a top 6 forward at this time, he's hasn't done anything to really earn that spot. Yak is a top 6 forward in name only.

Eberle, RNH, Hall and McDavid without playing in the NHL are top 6 guys.

Daradon
08-26-2015, 09:50 PM
Great summary, I'm surprised you have Winnipeg-s D as edging out Calgary. I'm not too worried about our third pairing anymore, as one of Wideman or Russell will be spending most of his time there. It was brutal last season yes, but Hamilton not only adds to his line, he makes the whole roster deeper.

The top three as you have them could all leapfrog. Probably end up within 5 points between the top and third team. No problem with the order you have. Personally I think I go Montreal, Winnipeg, Calgary, as Montreal is in the easiest div, but yeah it's close and could go either way.

I see Vancouver as falling the most. But they still may not be as bad as Edm or Toronto. They are aging like crazy and last years playoffs proved they cant even keep up with a team injured dramitically. Edmonton COULD catch them. But like you said, I'll believe it when I see it.

jammies
08-26-2015, 09:54 PM
The Oilers are actually a team that doesn't any areas of strength. Hard as it is to believe, from top to bottom they are terrible to mediocre, that is if you use non-"visually better" metrics like team success and stat rankings. Their top-six might make it all the way to middling this year if everything pans out, but that's it, and saying they have any "elite" players is simply false, there is a vast difference between *potentially* elite and what their players have demonstrated when playing NHL level hockey.

See, if your top six forwards don't score, and don't stop other teams from scoring, they can't be rated as objectively"good". It's not complicated, those are the two main functions of a hockey player: score, or stop the other team from scoring. Not even tangentially important are things like making the occasional sick dangle, looking like maybe you could score if the other team didn't cheat and actually dare to check you, or skating around behind the net beautifully to pick up enough speed to make it to the bench before a goal against goes in.

They might end up being better than Toronto, but Toronto has Mike Babcock, and I'll bet they beat out the Oilers by 3-5 points on his coaching alone. So the rankings should go (with up and down trending arrows):

^Calgary - ^Winnipeg
^Ottawa
~Montreal
vVancouver
~Toronto
^Edmonton

Enoch Root
08-26-2015, 10:03 PM
Also, the category was forwards. Not top 6. Forwards. So let's compare:

Hall - RBH - Eberle
Pouliot - McDavid - Yakupov
Korpikoski - Draisaitl - Purcell
Klinkhammer - Letestu - Hendricks
Gazdig, Lander

Gaudreau - Monahan - Hudler
Bouma - Backlund - Frolik
Ferland - Bennett - Colborne
Raymond - Stajan - Jones
Byron - Granlund - Jooris
Bollig - Shore

As for the top line, the simple fact of the matter is that the Flames' #1 line outscored HallsyNugeEbs - and they are better defensively

The Oilers 2nd line has tones of potential, no question. But for now, Yakupov is a disaster and McSavior is 18.

As for the Flames 2nd line, here's where things get difficult for the YouTube crowd: defense actually matters. And the Flames actually have a line that can shut down the opposition's top line

3rd lines both revolve around a 19 year old but any sane hockey fan would take ours over theirs

4th line is no contest (take your pick for personnel)

And then there is one more factor: depth. Injuries are a part of the game. And the Oilers have absolutely no depth at all. One injury to Hall, Nuge or - heaven forbid - McDavid, and Oiler fans will be setting their sites on the draft. Again.

Conversely, the Flames have too many NHL forwards, and showed last year that they can absorb injuries and keep winning.

Bottom line: the Flames forward group is easily better than the Oilers, when you look top to bottom and at all roles. And that is why the OP correctly rated them higher.

codynw
08-26-2015, 10:12 PM
Their top-six might make it all the way to middling this year if everything pans out, but that's it, and saying they have any "elite" players is simply false, there is a vast difference between *potentially* elite and what their players have demonstrated when playing NHL level hockey.

An 80 point winger isn't "elite"?

Sure he's not gonna win a Selke, but neither are Ovechkin, Kessel or Kane. Hall is an elite scoring winger (assuming he bounces back, cause he had a real bad year last year).

Daradon
08-26-2015, 10:30 PM

Sure he's not gonna win a Selke, but neither are Ovechkin, Kessel or Kane. Hall is an elite scoring winger (assuming he bounces back, cause he had a real bad year last year).

Calling him an 80 point winger is as disingenous as calling Dion a 50 point defenseman.

Yeah it happened. Once. He also had a 50 point season and a 38 point season.

Hall is not elite. He's a star, but not a superstar. He's the Ryan Smyth or Mats Naslund, to Jarome Iginla. Close. But not quite.

It's moot now, but if the Oilers never got McDavid, I would be very comfortable in saying Hall would never reach 80 points again. I might even take a bet for 70 points.

And yeah, he's been injured. But also, he's always injured. You can't give him a pass cause he plays in spurts. A few seasons, ok. But so far, it's a regular thing.

Hall is not elite. He's very very good. He's not elite.

calgaryblood
08-26-2015, 10:36 PM
Hall has also had the benefit of playing on a team with absolutely no system and zero pressure after November his entire career.

I would take Bennet, Gaudreau and Monahan over Hall in a heart beat.

codynw
08-26-2015, 10:53 PM
Calling him an 80 point winger is as disingenous as calling Dion a 50 point defenseman.

Hall is not elite. He's a star, but not a superstar. He's the Ryan Smyth or Mats Naslund, to Jarome Iginla. Close. But not quite.

It's moot now, but if the Oilers never got McDavid, I would be very comfortable in saying Hall would never reach 80 points again. I might even take a bet for 70 points.

And yeah, he's been injured. But also, he's always injured. You can't give him a pass cause he plays in spurts. A few seasons, ok. But so far, it's a regular thing.

He's one season removed from getting 80 points, and in the year before that he was on pace for 90 (lockout shortened year) and he's only 23 years old. It's not like his huge point totals were 5 years ago.

FBI
08-26-2015, 10:59 PM
It's ok to just admit you kinda like the oilers.
You used the word potential, that's all we ever hear.

Hackey
08-26-2015, 11:06 PM
He's one season removed from getting 80 points, and in the year before that he was on pace for 90 (lockout shortened year) and he's only 23 years old. It's not like his huge point totals were 5 years ago.

Exactly. I would have taken his bet in a second. Hall is a good player. Obviously since he's an Oiler people try to downplay him any way they can.

theslymonkey
08-26-2015, 11:10 PM
The sign of critical thinking is to carefully evaluate both sides, not just standing on your soap box screaming "I am right!!!"

I'm sorry to offer a critical look at the competition. The inability to recognize talent on a team that we hate is short sighted. Continue patting each other on the back while wearing your rose coloured glasses.

theslymonkey
08-26-2015, 11:16 PM

Hall - RNH - Eberle
Perron - McDavid - Yak

JH - Money - Hudler

This was exactly my initial point. I never said the Oilers are vastly better. But to say they're grading at a C while the Flames are a B is not right.

The Flames are obviously a better team. But the one thing the oilers do have is scoring talent. They may not be complete players, but they are a very potent offensive force that MAY soon be realized.

ScorchyScorch
08-26-2015, 11:27 PM
Hudler > Hall > Gaudreau > Monahan > Eberle > RNH > Frolik > Backlund > Yak

That's how I'd rank them in terms of offensive impact. However our bottom two guys are the most well rounded of all the players in terms of 2-way play. So they chip in other ways, whereas the Edmonton kids don't have as much to offer in that regard.

The rookies Bennett and McDavid I don't think are that far apart. But they don't get evaluated with the rest because they haven't shown what they are at the NHL level yet.

As for teams going into 15-16

Montreal (giving the edge because of elite goaltending)
Calgary (best D-corps on the list goes a long way)
Ottawa (as long as they continue their trend from late last season)
Winnipeg (not enough top end to be higher, but a lot of solid, big young players)
Vancouver (core aging and bound to fall, not enough young talent to replace it)
Toronto (trades this summer could help the team as a whole be more well rounded than top-heavy)
Edmonton (putrid D-corps and team defence. They can have 12 McDavids up front, still won't help them until that's addressed)

theslymonkey
08-26-2015, 11:41 PM
Okay lets just take this one point at a time, objectively:Objectively? Hardly but OK

Old boys club: yep, both lowe and Mactavish are still within the organization, so glad they have finally put that to rest...Chirelli built a pretty darn good team in Boston

Coach: wait and see on how he does but you are casually ignoring the fact that he got let go by SJ for a reason (not winning). Sharks seem to win a lot over the last decade

Hall: Scores goals, injury prone, worst hockey sense I've ever watched out of an "elite LW" Hall is Elite, I'm sorry you can't see that. Two Ppg seasons before he's 23...

McGeneration: Past Generational talents: Tavares, Stamkos, Crosby, Mackinnon list goes on. He likely will be good, but I honestly have no clue what Generational means anymore. Those are all damn good players. Able to carry their team all by themself

Eberle: Still living off his World Jr. success and his epic dangle against ian white. Terrible defensively, doesn't work very hard for a soft player, expects his "soft mitts" and "sick celeys" to make noise for him. He is a 60 point player check his stats. I don't like him, but he scores like a first line player.

RNH: Strong skater, skilled hockey player, competes hard on both sides of the puck. Too soft a game to ever be a true #1 in the tough, heavy western conference.There are a lot of teams that would give their left nut for him to crater their top line.

Yak: worst +/- 2 years running (i believe). nuff said. Nose for the net, bust potential, but he can score for a second line winger for sure

Pouliot: Career stats padded due to playing with Stamkos. Bottom six winger, he is really just a bigger bodied Mason Raymond. He's better than Raymond , but he's decent enough to play second line. But he's not hot garbage.

Daisaitl: Lets see how he recovers from being thrown into the lions den last season. You obviously didn't watch the memorial cup.

Give it a rest bud, nobody is fearful of the Oilers forwards, until the oilers forwards decide to do something about it.

I don't like the Oilers, but if your take off the Flames glasses you'd see that their top six looks very good. They have a lot of warts, but they will be able to score goals.

MrMastodonFarm
08-26-2015, 11:50 PM
Hudler > Hall > Gaudreau > Monahan > Eberle > RNH > Frolik > Backlund > Yak

That's how I'd rank them in terms of offensive impact. However our bottom two guys are the most well rounded of all the players in terms of 2-way play. So they chip in other ways, whereas the Edmonton kids don't have as much to offer in that regard.

The rookies Bennett and McDavid I don't think are that far apart. But they don't get evaluated with the rest because they haven't shown what they are at the NHL level yet.

As for teams going into 15-16

Montreal (giving the edge because of elite goaltending)
Calgary (best D-corps on the list goes a long way)
Ottawa (as long as they continue their trend from late last season)
Winnipeg (not enough top end to be higher, but a lot of solid, big young players)
Vancouver (core aging and bound to fall, not enough young talent to replace it)
Toronto (trades this summer could help the team as a whole be more well rounded than top-heavy)
Edmonton (putrid D-corps and team defence. They can have 12 McDavids up front, still won't help them until that's addressed)
Who cares about just offensive impact.
Nugent-Hopkins over Hall and Eberle easily for me.

KootenayFlamesFan
08-27-2015, 12:02 AM
The Flames are obviously a better team. But the one thing the oilers do have is scoring talent. They may not be complete players, but they are a very potent offensive force that MAY soon be realized.

But that's a pretty big part of the game. You can't just dismiss bad defensive play by saying they're good offensive players so the bad defense doesn't matter. It does. If Hall, Eberle and Yak were better two-way players the Oilers would be a much better team. They're letting their team down in their own zone, which is why you can't give their forward group a high grade.

TjRhythmic
08-27-2015, 04:37 AM
Like it or not, defense is a BIG part of pro sports. The Oilers, until their forward group shows some sort of commitment to it, should be rated lower then Calgary's just because they have a top 6 that commits to 2 way play. They work harder in the defensive zone then they do in the offensive zone and that is the way it should be. Work your ass off to get the puck back and once you get it back, go have some fun with it.

Justin
08-27-2015, 05:56 AM
1. Montreal - Carey Price is the only reason they get the nod over Calgary.
2. Calgary
3. Winnipeg
4. Ottawa
5. Edmonton
6. Vancouver
7. Toronto

Justin
08-27-2015, 06:00 AM

Dany Heatley.

Red Slinger
08-27-2015, 08:14 AM
Montreal-
Currently have the most valuable player in the league in Price. Not just in name but he is the most valuable player: he can win them any game any night. Subban is a great player also. They play well as a team but I'm not sold on their top 6 forwards. Even so, I still think they are the top Canadian team at the moment.

Winnipeg-
Really deep roster both at forward an defense. Goaltending is a question mark and their top 6 forwards aren't quite as good as advertised IMO. They are two players away from being a scary team. Unfortunately for them those players are a top forward and starting goaltender.

Calgary-
Still a young team with organizational depth similar to Winnipeg. Defense looks excellent on paper. Forwards are good but still young. The team needs to show that last season (in which they were supposed to contend for McDavid) wasn't a fluke. I don't think they're as good as they showed last season, nor as bad as some of the naysayers are speculating they'll be. Goaltending is still an area of weakness.

Ottawa-
Odd team, as usual. They have a few really nice players that seem to add up to more than the sum of their parts. Not sure about goaltending. This is a team that I could see surprising a lot of people and having an excellent season or surprising a lot of people and crashing badly.

Edmonton-
Improved their team in almost every category, at least on paper. But when you are the running joke of the league there's a lot of improvement to be done and it doesn't happen overnight. The forwards have a lot of potential but their careers have stagnated so far due to inept coaching and team management. Is one year enough to wash away the stink and terrible habits? Unlikely. Defense is atrocious. Goaltending is a question mark. They will probably finish somewhere around 11th or 12th in the West.

Vancouver-
The forward ranks are thinner than they've been in a long time. Same with the defense. There aren't a tonne of nice prospects ready to take the next step either. This team, as usual, will go as far as the Sedins will carry them. They are looking a little older and slower, and the relief depth is as shallow as it's been for years. Goaltending is inconsistent at best. They can still be a tough team on any given night because of the Sedins but it's tough to ask two aging players to carry the whole team every night.

Toronto-
They have about 3 top 6 forwards and none would likely be considered top 3. They have 2 top 4 defensemen and none, at this stage would be considered top pair. Overall depth is atrocious. If they had Price in goal to bail them out on a nightly basis they'd have a chance to not be a bottom 5 team. The goaltending they do have is inconsistent. Babcock is obviously a good coach but from an outsiders perspective that lockeroom is toxic, and as we saw with Hartley in Calgary, it takes time to change culture. They got rid of one of the problem children in Kessel but that resulted in a real drop in talent level. Plus, they still have other room issues like Kadri and their captain! They have a good chance at a Matthews draft party.

Calgary4LIfe
08-27-2015, 09:25 AM
Voted Montreal as the top Canadian Team, simply because they feast in the East.

Calgary has Kings, Sharks and Ducks to contend with in their own division, plus the Central which is by far the toughest division. Can't put Winnipeg in there either, because they are in the Central.

Now, which team is better? I would say Calgary is better than Montreal, and Calgary and Winnipeg are in a pretty close spot relative to one another. Calgary by a hair as the best Canadian Team, but Montreal will get the most points.

Edit:

Ranking based on Points
Montreal
Calgary
Ottawa
Winnipeg
Vancouver

Edmonton
Toronto

Ranking Based on actual team strength:
Calgary
Winnipeg

Montreal
Ottawa

Vancouver

Edmonton
Toronto

dammage79
08-27-2015, 09:51 AM
1. Calgary
2. Montreal
3. Winnipeg
4. Ottawa
5. Edmonton
6. Vancouver
7. Toronto

Top 4 are pretty easy to sort out. The forwards separate CGY from WPG. And MTL has Price, enough said there.

It got muddy for the bottom 3. I had to put EDM at 5. Out of the three remaining teams they did the most positive moves this offseason while Vancouver got worse and Toronto despite hiring and All-Star executive group to run the team, didn't really do much other than off load Kessel. Toronto will be the worst team this year.

As I am writing this I'm not sure why I haven't put Vancouver at the bottom, the more I think about it, the more I remember they really did nothing but get worse in their trades. Except for the addition of Sutter. But that move only treads water from where they were at before the trade. Damn, they're going to be so bad this year.

Enoch Root
08-27-2015, 10:10 AM
I don't think you can put Vancouver last. Yes, they are trending in the wrong direction, but they still have the Sedins.

Toronto has nothing.

And Oilers are trending up, or at least are potentially trending up. So you can give them the benefit of the doubt and put them ahead of Vancouver, IMO.

Calgary4LIfe
08-27-2015, 10:15 AM
Originally Posted by H2SO4(aq) http://forumcdn.calgarypuck.com/images/calpuck/buttons/viewpost.gif (http://forum.calgarypuck.com/showthread.php?p=5405454#post5405454)
Okay lets just take this one point at a time, objectively:Objectively? Hardly but OK

Old boys club: yep, both lowe and Mactavish are still within the organization, so glad they have finally put that to rest...Chirelli built a pretty darn good team in Boston No, he inherited a pretty good team in Boston, and he traded away a couple of young high end talented players just entering their prime, and put his team in cap hell. He did win the cup, so at least he can manage a winner well enough to win a cup, but he did not put that team together.

Coach: wait and see on how he does but you are casually ignoring the fact that he got let go by SJ for a reason (not winning). Sharks seem to win a lot over the last decade They have been a highly skilled team from the goalie through defence through their forward corps. Arguably a very deep team. They falter and haven't won anything except regular season titles. There are definite question marks based on the Sharks' lack of success based on their team makeup over those years.

Hall: Scores goals, injury prone, worst hockey sense I've ever watched out of an "elite LW" Hall is Elite, I'm sorry you can't see that. Two Ppg seasons before he's 23... Hall is a defensive blackhole, and a poor leader based on his play on ice. He has absolutely terrible defensive IQ - when he actually tries to play defensively. Ovie bought-in last year on team-defence, but even when he didn't, at least brought a much more intelligent game and some nasty physical play. Hall gets demolished often with his lack of situational awareness, offers little in the way of defence, and I just can't see him lasting in this league if he doesn't change his game. He is fast, he has a great shot, and he has good hands to make plays. If he had an actual brain, I would wholeheartedly agree.

McGeneration: Past Generational talents: Tavares, Stamkos, Crosby, Mackinnon list goes on. He likely will be good, but I honestly have no clue what Generational means anymore. Those are all damn good players. Able to carry their team all by themself Yep, but how many of them have Stanley Cups? McDavid (IMO) is the real deal, but there is still no guarantee of any team success.

Eberle: Still living off his World Jr. success and his epic dangle against ian white. Terrible defensively, doesn't work very hard for a soft player, expects his "soft mitts" and "sick celeys" to make noise for him. He is a 60 point player check his stats. I don't like him, but he scores like a first line player. 60pt player that offers little else. Not a guy I would want on the Flames for free (and not hyperbole). He is without a doubt part of the problem on the Oilers, not a solution. Him and Hall are the big reasons why Edmonton sucks, even with his 60pts. Selfish, undersized, takes numerous shifts off, lazy on the backcheck - but puts up decent (not spectacular) numbers. Yeah, I don't like his game at all.

RNH: Strong skater, skilled hockey player, competes hard on both sides of the puck. Too soft a game to ever be a true #1 in the tough, heavy western conference.There are a lot of teams that would give their left nut for him to crater their top line. Agreed here. RNH is the real deal, and a heck of a player that should only get better.

Yak: worst +/- 2 years running (i believe). nuff said. Nose for the net, bust potential, but he can score for a second line winger for sure I may be the only one, but I much prefer Yakupov over Eberle if I had to choose, and I expect Yak to improve on his numbers and overall game with a solid coach.

Pouliot: Career stats padded due to playing with Stamkos. Bottom six winger, he is really just a bigger bodied Mason Raymond. He's better than Raymond , but he's decent enough to play second line. But he's not hot garbage. Hot garbage? No. Over-priced? Yes.

Daisaitl: Lets see how he recovers from being thrown into the lions den last season. You obviously didn't watch the memorial cup. Well, there isn't a question he isn't a very good junior player, but junior success does not guarantee NHL success. I do think he is going to be very good - his lack of footspeed (which isn't that horrible) is more than compensated by his high IQ and skill-level. He may take a few seasons to adapt, but he should end up as a very good player (as long as his development isn't crushed - but MacLellan should be good for him).

I don't like the Oilers, but if your take off the Flames glasses you'd see that their top six looks very good. They have a lot of warts, but they will be able to score goals.

Why do you think they are able to score goals? They didn't last year. What has changed? Tough to score goals when you get hemmed in your own zone and have players (again, Hall and Eberle) with horrible defensive acumen AND effort to help support the (lower quality) defencemen.

The Oilers top 6 has (without question) some great skill, but they haven't exactly been coming through, have they? So no, it isn't a given that they will be able to score goals - they haven't been able to, and McDavid by himself isn't going to suddenly change them from one of the LOWEST SCORING TEAMS in the NHL into one of the highest scoring teams. The potential is there for them to be a high-scoring team, and you would anticipate that MacLellan is a better coach and will be able to provide them with a better system, but you too easily disregard the fact that they simply haven't done it yet, and don't seem to have the culture and the effort level to do what it takes to become that team.

Warts are sometimes things that you can't fix, and I think you are sugar-coating it. Their warts are just as relevant as their strengths. It could very well be that they will have to trade some of their 'high powered offence' for capable defencemen in order to actually build any semblance of a decent team.

CorsiHockeyLeague
08-27-2015, 10:46 AM
Why Vancouver over Calgary for any given day? Calgary just beat them in 6 games, and improved the team in the off season.
Probably six of one, half a dozen of the other in terms of who wins, but I don't put much stock in the results of playoff series as some sort of gauge as to who will win a future game. I'm just going based on the rosters. Might as well flip a coin, I suppose, but as completely doomed as that team is they're decently constructed for October.

By the end of the year they'll likely have lost Hamhuis and Vrbata, (and possibly one or more of the other depth pieces there like Higgins, Hansen, Burrows etc) and that'll be all she wrote for the Sedin era, so it's a completely moot point for them whether they win, say, the first meeting with the flames on HNIC this year.

Enoch Root, I think you can put them last organizationally because the Sedins are a meaningless asset for the team. They aren't going to win, so what good does having the Sedins do other than some entertainment value? Toronto has Nylander and Marner, among others; they have a shot at a decent future and management looks much more competent than a few years ago.

Enoch Root
08-27-2015, 11:02 AM
Probably six of one, half a dozen of the other in terms of who wins, but I don't put much stock in the results of playoff series as some sort of gauge as to who will win a future game. I'm just going based on the rosters. Might as well flip a coin, I suppose, but as completely doomed as that team is they're decently constructed for October.

By the end of the year they'll likely have lost Hamhuis and Vrbata, (and possibly one or more of the other depth pieces there like Higgins, Hansen, Burrows etc) and that'll be all she wrote for the Sedin era, so it's a completely moot point for them whether they win, say, the first meeting with the flames on HNIC this year.

Enoch Root, I think you can put them last organizationally because the Sedins are a meaningless asset for the team. They aren't going to win, so what good does having the Sedins do other than some entertainment value? Toronto has Nylander and Marner, among others; they have a shot at a decent future and management looks much more competent than a few years ago.

My impression was that we were ranking the teams for this season (kind of a power ranking thing).

If you want to talk about who has the brightest future, then I agree, Vancouver should be last.

Imported_Aussie
08-27-2015, 11:07 AM
Montreal, Calgary and Winnipeg are all close. They are the only 3 with a shot at playoffs IMO (sorry Ottawa) but Winnipeg is in the most danger - toughest division and a question mark in goal. Calgary and Winnipeg may not be that far apart, but whereas Calgary is likely within the top 3 seeds in their division, Winnipeg is a wildcard/bubble team.
Montreal also benefits from a comparatively weak division, where they should finish no lower than 3rd.
I would take Calgary over Montreal in a 7 game series, due to their depth and ability to roll out 3 elite defencemen to win matchups, and I can't count on Winnipeg to make the playoffs, so I have to go for Calgary

Matata
08-27-2015, 11:20 AM
Went with the peg, I think they had the best Canadian team last year and should have a few graduates from their incredible prospect pool beefing them up. My heart says it's the flames, but I can't tell if that's homer glasses or not.

theslymonkey
08-27-2015, 11:38 AM
Why do you think they are able to score goals? They didn't last year. What has changed? Tough to score goals when you get hemmed in your own zone and have players (again, Hall and Eberle) with horrible defensive acumen AND effort to help support the (lower quality) defencemen.

The Oilers top 6 has (without question) some great skill, but they haven't exactly been coming through, have they? So no, it isn't a given that they will be able to score goals - they haven't been able to, and McDavid by himself isn't going to suddenly change them from one of the LOWEST SCORING TEAMS in the NHL into one of the highest scoring teams. The potential is there for them to be a high-scoring team, and you would anticipate that MacLellan is a better coach and will be able to provide them with a better system, but you too easily disregard the fact that they simply haven't done it yet, and don't seem to have the culture and the effort level to do what it takes to become that team.

Warts are sometimes things that you can't fix, and I think you are sugar-coating it. Their warts are just as relevant as their strengths. It could very well be that they will have to trade some of their 'high powered offence' for capable defencemen in order to actually build any semblance of a decent team.

This is just it. I don't think the Oilers have got better. I think they're going to struggle as much as last year. But that's because of their lack of D and goaltending. Without solid puck moving D, the forwards don't score. Flames are deep in puck movers. So are the Hawks, Preds, Ducks, Kings... thats why they are winning.

But I'm not arguing that. I am saying to disregard the Oilers one strength, Forward Skill, is short sighted. Bring the Oilers top 6 over to the Flames and let Hartley kick their asses, and I think the Flames score even more goals.
Does that make us better, No.
Do the Flames win more games, No.
Does the sense of "Team" increase with those inbreeds on our team, No.
But I think the goal scoring could/would be greater.

I think the Flames team build is modeled after the Hawks, which is awesome. I think the Flames have the make up of a future power house. But if the Oilers had Hamilton and few better pieces on the back end. We would all be a little more afraid of their offensive weapons.

ricardodw
08-27-2015, 11:43 AM
Voted Montreal as the top Canadian Team, simply because they feast in the East.

Calgary has Kings, Sharks and Ducks to contend with in their own division, plus the Central which is by far the toughest division. Can't put Winnipeg in there either, because they are in the Central.

Now, which team is better? I would say Calgary is better than Montreal, and Calgary and Winnipeg are in a pretty close spot relative to one another. Calgary by a hair as the best Canadian Team, but Montreal will get the most points.

Edit:

Ranking based on Points
Montreal
Calgary
Ottawa
Winnipeg
Vancouver

Edmonton
Toronto

Ranking Based on actual team strength:
Calgary
Winnipeg

Montreal
Ottawa

Vancouver

Edmonton
Toronto

Just based on last year the Flames, Canucks and Ducks had inflated points because they played a lot of their Games against the Oilers / Yotes.

Pretty simple to rank divisions.

Average point of teams in the Division:

Central 99.4
Metropolitan : 91.8
Atlantic: 90.8
Pacific: 87

Pretty sure that it wouldn't take a lot of mathematics to show that that the 2014-15 Flames and Canucks do not make the Playoffs if either team was in the Central and Dallas and Colorado do make the playoffs playing out of the Pacific.

That was last year. If Edmonton and/or Arizona were to move into the ranks of the competitive teams then the Flames have to play a lot better to maintain their 97 pts.

The other thing that both the Jets and Flames and Predators have to contend with is being a playoff team rather than a team in the McDavid lottery as they were at the start of last year. A lot less backup goalies this coming season.

Fire of the Phoenix
08-27-2015, 11:43 AM
Yes Montreal has Price, who is amazing, but I don't see how that fact can make Montreal Canada's best team. Without Price, that team is 15th (or so) in the league. I realize goaltending is a part of the team, but when the rest of the team is so inadequate that you have to rely on Price having one of the best seasons ever by a goalie to have success, you don't have a good team. Look what happened to them in the playoffs when Price's play dipped... they got absolutely smoked. If we had Price last year, we probably get an extra 10-15 points.

My ranking

1A) Winnipeg
1B) Calgary

*A lot to like about both teams, both now and going forward. Calgary is faster, Winnipeg is bigger, both teams have top 5-7 D in the league. Goaltending is a sore spot for both teams, but both have phenoms on the way. Both teams have young, emerging top talent at forward. I see Winnipeg developing into more of a rival for us than Edm or Van in the next few years as I think there is a great chance we meet in the playoffs sooner than those other two sad sacks.

2A) Ottawa
2B) Montreal

*These two teams are very close, I prefer Ottawa's D. I like Karlsson better than Subban, though 2-7 is reasonably close I still give Ott the edge. I prefer their F group as well as it seems younger, with more emerging talent. I like Pacioretti, Gallagher and Galchenyuk for the Habs but not much else in comparison the the Sens who just seem deeper, younger and more talented up front. The x factor for Ott is Ryan, if he can get his game back, Ott is looking good up front. Goaltending is the only thing that makes this close as Price is a god and might even will a team like Edmonton to an 75-80 point season last year. With no Price, I think Montreal is closer to Vancouver's level than Ottawa's.

5) Vancouver
6) Edmonton

*Things look very bleak for Vancouver, now and going forward. As soon as next season, they could be passed by the Oilers (that means they're bad). For now though I give them the edge over the Oilers even though Edmonton is more talented up front and goaltending is likely a wash. Vancouver's forwards actually know what their own zone looks like, so if I was trying to make the playoffs just for next year, I would take their group. Going forward, if the Oilers forwards ever figure things out, this will obviously change. I'm not holding my breath though. The Canucks have the better D, but it is still just average whereas the Oilers are abysmal in that area. Tanev/Edler is an OK top pairing but would be much better suited to the second pairing. Hamhuis is pretty good, but after that they aren't so hot. One lengthy injury to their top 3 and their season is over. Edmonton's D is like the land of misfit toys, just laughable considering how many YEARS they have had to fix this.

7) Toronto

*They're pretty, pretty, pretty... bad. Maybe they get 60 points next year, maybe not. With their luck they will draft 3rd with 52 points while the Oilers add Mathews with 75 points.

Walter Reed
08-28-2015, 05:51 PM
Winnipeg
Calgary
Montreal
Ottawa
Edmonton
Vancouver
Toronto

Erick Estrada
08-28-2015, 06:18 PM
Montreal has the advantage of playing in the Eastern Conference and should be able to grind their way to being the top Canadian team. However it all rests on the shoulders of one player and if Price gets injured for significant time or has a down year just making the playoffs would be in doubt for them. The Leafs roster is awful and I don't expect Babcock to work much magic next season as they should be last.

Reggie Dunlop
08-28-2015, 06:46 PM
No finer team in all the land,

The Flaming C is the winning brand.

Party Elephant
08-29-2015, 12:17 AM
I don't think the poll should have Edmonton and Toronto as options.

Reggie Dunlop
08-29-2015, 12:32 AM
I don't think the poll should have Edmonton and Toronto as options.

Both are rank.

heep223
08-29-2015, 04:46 PM
Is Toronto going to win a game this year? I guess they'll probably beat the Coyotes but they may go 2-80-0.

Good thing they'll be riding high after the Jays win the World Series, to get them through the hockey season.