PDA

View Full Version : All time Jays: The Rotation

JiriHrdina
08-25-2015, 08:21 PM
Ok to do this right everyone needs to co-operate and follow the instructions.
Vote for 5 pitchers to make the all time rotation. No more, no less.

JiriHrdina
08-25-2015, 08:25 PM
Let me know if any one should be added

whosurnabby
08-25-2015, 08:43 PM
ACE) Stieb
2) Doc
3) Hentgen
4) Jimmy Key
5) Papa Buehrle

Didn't like how his MLB career ended, but I loved the 2009 - 2012 version of Ricky Romero. Something happened with him mentally after the 2012 all star break and he just was never the same pitcher after that contract extension...literally lost "control" over his career.

Enoch Root
08-25-2015, 09:00 PM
I would have Wells in the pen

puffnstuff
08-25-2015, 09:52 PM
Had to vote for Doyle Lafayette Alexander. 46 - 26 as a Jay. Two 17 win seasons. And that 'stache was great too.

Strange Brew
08-25-2015, 10:36 PM
Stieb is my all time Jay. All those near no hitters and perfect games, symbolizes all the disappointment until they finally broke through.

corporatejay
08-26-2015, 12:05 AM
Clemens was only with the jays for two season but one of those seasons his WAR was above 12. That might be the single greatest season in Blue Jays history.

tvp2003
08-26-2015, 12:14 AM
Dave Stieb is a no-brainer, as is Doc Halladay. Clemens did not play long but he was really good. On the flipside, Jimmy Key has longevity so I went with him at 4.

Fifth starter was a toss-up; Hentgen won a Cy Young but I have a soft spot for Juan Guzman so I went with him :)

KootenayFlamesFan
08-26-2015, 12:31 AM
Stieb
Halladay
Hentgen
Clemens
Key

Morris, Cone, Stewart were great pitchers as well, just weren't there long enough. Clemens wasn't either, but he was so dominant at times I had to slot him in.

Dion
08-26-2015, 12:42 AM

No need, we have Tom Henke to close it out

robaur
08-26-2015, 12:59 AM
DAVID PRICE!! =) lol....i kid i kid.

Cali Panthers Fan
08-26-2015, 01:46 AM
I will never vote for Clemens for anything ever, never mind that he only had 2 years in Toronto and then publicly called out the team for not doing enough to win. The guy was more a Yankee and Red Sox than he will ever be a Blue Jay (not to mention a cheater and a bully). Wells was good too, but did more for the Yankees than he ever did for the Jays.

I went with my gut initially, and then looking up the numbers I felt justified.

Halladay
Stieb
Key
Hentgen
Guzman

I would have said Chris Carpenter, but he was mediocre at best with the Jays and then went on to some amazing years in St. Louis. It always bummed me out that the Jays gave up on him too soon.

Cali Panthers Fan
08-26-2015, 01:48 AM
Oh, and for those voting Clemens simply because he had a couple of dominant years, don't forget he was juicing like crazy at the time. I know he's a good pitcher, but take those numbers with a grain of salt.

habernac
08-26-2015, 06:40 AM
Halladay
Steib
Key
Hentgen
Wells

Clemens gets not vote due to his roiding.

Honourable mentions to Guzman and Morris

Bobblehead
08-26-2015, 08:47 AM
Top 4 were easy for me: Stieb, Doc, Key, Hentgen

The 5th I couldn't decide so went with Guzman, but there are good arguments for many others. I didn't go with Clemens because roids and he had major seasons with other teams too. Morris is more of a Tiger or Twin than a Jay to me. Carpenter had his best seasons after he left.

I don't own a Jays Jersey, but if I got one it would probably be a Halladay or Stieb.

Resolute 14
08-26-2015, 09:05 AM
The fact that Stieb isn't unanimous shows that some of you voters are just kids...

Clemens had the greatest single season as a Blue Jays pitcher, but I can't vote for him simply based on how he engineered his way out of Toronto.

habernac
08-26-2015, 09:25 AM
Top 4 were easy for me: Stieb, Doc, Key, Hentgen

The 5th I couldn't decide so went with Guzman, but there are good arguments for many others. I didn't go with Clemens because roids and he had major seasons with other teams too. Morris is more of a Tiger or Twin than a Jay to me. Carpenter had his best seasons after he left.

I don't own a Jays Jersey, but if I got one it would probably be a Halladay or Stieb.

Halladay was my first Jays jersey. Never got to see him pitch live with Toronto. I did get to see him with the Phillies at Dodger stadium. Guy was a total pro.

corporatejay
08-26-2015, 09:27 AM
Guys, EVERYONE was roiding.

JiriHrdina
08-26-2015, 10:01 AM
The fact that Stieb isn't unanimous shows that some of you voters are just kids...

Clemens had the greatest single season as a Blue Jays pitcher, but I can't vote for him simply based on how he engineered his way out of Toronto.

That was my stance on Clemens too. Less about the steroids and more just about his exit. Frankly Roger as a Jay never felt right.
Agree on Stieb, but expected that since his peak years were so long ago. What stuns me is anyone wouldn't vote for Doc.

Enoch Root
08-26-2015, 10:01 AM
No need, we have Tom Henke to close it out

So a one-man bullpen?

Ward as the 8th inning guy and Henke as the closer was the best bullpen in Jays history.

And that was before the 8th inning guy was really a thing.

Resolute 14
08-26-2015, 11:06 AM
That was my stance on Clemens too. Less about the steroids and more just about his exit. Frankly Roger as a Jay never felt right.
Agree on Stieb, but expected that since his peak years were so long ago. What stuns me is anyone wouldn't vote for Doc.

Clemens in Toronto was especially weird since those were the Interbrew days as well, and they didn't really put money into the team.

JiriHrdina
08-26-2015, 11:19 AM
We'll do a separate poll for the Pen

Sylvanfan
08-26-2015, 12:22 PM
As much as Clemons was a jerk and juiced up to the nines on PED's....I just can't overlook how dominating he was as a Jay for those two seasons. Had there been a second Wild card in those days those teams would have had a shot at it.

Fire of the Phoenix
08-26-2015, 09:53 PM
One of my most vivid baseball memories is of Halladay almost no hitting the Tigers very early in his career, I knew we had something special. He struggled for the next few years but once he figured it all out, he was as good of a pitcher as I've ever seen. Too bad his tenure was mostly wasted on mediocre teams, he was a beauty. Too young to remember much of Stieb but his stats pretty much speak for themselves.

Enoch Root
08-27-2015, 11:14 AM

I confused Wells with Ward here (damn it sucks getting old!). Obviously it is Ward that should be considered for the pen, not Wells.

killer_carlson
08-28-2015, 02:41 PM
Great poll.

Tough to leave a guy like Hentgen out of my list but I had to go with Morris for the last spot.

Morris was the best pitcher i've ever seen at finding ways to win a game when you don't have your "A" stuff.

Pacem
08-28-2015, 06:32 PM
Great poll.

Tough to leave a guy like Hentgen out of my list but I had to go with Morris for the last spot.

Morris was the best pitcher i've ever seen at finding ways to win a game when you don't have your "A" stuff.

I had the same debate for picking my list. Went with Morris and for the same reason.

KootenayFlamesFan
08-28-2015, 10:36 PM
Clemens, Halladay and Hentgen the only Jays to win the Cy Young. That's why I picked Hentgen. And I liked Morris, but he never won a playoff game for the Jays. Only with the Jays for 2 seasons, and his second season was pretty ugly.