PDA

View Full Version : [News] Russians fined for leaving ice

GioforPM
08-24-2015, 11:02 AM
http://www.calgaryherald.com/sports/hockey/Russia+fined+85000+leaving+before+Canadas+anthem+h ockey+worlds/11313056/story.html

The Russians have been fined $85K for leaving the ice at the WHC before the anthem.

Locke
08-24-2015, 11:05 AM
Hopefully thats in USD because the exchange from the Ruble will be brutal.

Looch City
08-24-2015, 11:10 AM
Kovalchuk trying to stay relevant.

Tacopuck
08-24-2015, 11:17 AM
Was I the only one that didnt notice that they were not on the ice until it was mentioned / pointed out?

While I agree it was a rude / selfish thing for (some of) the team to do, I just dont see it as a big deal. Maybe that is just the Canadian in me, sorry.

Benched
08-24-2015, 11:18 AM
was pretty un-classy

fine is pretty small

all in all, not much of a story (but it's summer so ty)

Huntingwhale
08-24-2015, 11:37 AM
Russia has done such great trolling over the years, and even to this day.

The Russian federation had claimed its players had been confused after the rink-side gate was left open and took that as a signal to leave following the 6-1 loss in May in Prague.

But after studying video evidence, the IIHF said Kovalchuk gave an "unmistakable head gesture" as signal for teammates to skate off the ice early after collecting their silver medals. They did not stay to hear the Canadian anthem and watch the flags of the three medallist countries being raised.

Classic

Tyler
08-24-2015, 11:52 AM
Stay classy, comrades

HotHotHeat
08-24-2015, 12:21 PM
So are they going to pay?

Northendzone
08-24-2015, 12:24 PM
who gets the monies from the fine?

undercoverbrother
08-24-2015, 12:26 PM
Was I the only one that didnt notice that they were not on the ice until it was mentioned / pointed out?

While I agree it was a rude / selfish thing for (some of) the team to do, I just dont see it as a big deal. Maybe that is just the Canadian in me, sorry.

Isn't sport, even at the highest level, about respect?

Losing the game and running away afterwards shows no respect for the sport, the opposition and yourself.

dino7c
08-24-2015, 12:33 PM
Canadians have more class Don Cherry has been telling us this for years

proof is in the actions

Fan in Exile
08-24-2015, 12:43 PM
[QUOTE=dino7c;5402440]Canadians have more class Don Cherry has been telling us this for years

I hope you're being tongue in cheek because there's more than a little irony in Don Cherry talking about class.

Having said that, I agree that leaving before the anthems are done shows a lack of class. So did just about everything about the way the Canadians behaved in the Summit Series in 72.

I love hockey but try to find an objective person who things it's a classy game.

Finger Cookin
08-24-2015, 01:10 PM
Hopefully thats in USD because the exchange from the Ruble will be brutal.

Actual fine is 80,000 CHF. Hedge your FX exposure accordingly.

Enoch Root
08-24-2015, 01:33 PM
[QUOTE=dino7c;5402440]Canadians have more class Don Cherry has been telling us this for years

I hope you're being tongue in cheek because there's more than a little irony in Don Cherry talking about class.

Having said that, I agree that leaving before the anthems are done shows a lack of class. So did just about everything about the way the Canadians behaved in the Summit Series in 72.

I love hockey but try to find an objective person who things it's a classy game.

72 was war - in a very real sense.

And it was both teams.

To suggest that it was the Canadians that behaved in less than admirable ways is more than a little disingenuous.

Beatle17
08-24-2015, 01:36 PM

I think a lot of the issues at the time were facts like the rooms being bugged, getting kicked by the Russian players and the refs supplied in Russia, just a thought. The world and relationships between countries is quite different from 43 years ago.

dino7c
08-24-2015, 02:14 PM
you guys are too easy

CroFlames
08-24-2015, 10:58 PM
Blame Putin.

Dion
08-25-2015, 02:17 AM
This is not the first time they left the ice early. Ohhhhhh the memories...

t1IEzIK6ZAc

Huntingwhale
08-25-2015, 09:53 AM
The article doesn't mention this, but it should be noted that Ovechkin, Malkin, Tarasenko, Mironov, Kulikov, Paranin, Tikhanof and Dadonov all stayed and tried to have their team mates stay. At least those guys still have class.

Itse
08-25-2015, 10:05 AM
The article doesn't mention this, but it should be noted that Ovechkin, Malkin, Tarasenko, Mironov, Kulikov, Paranin, Tikhanof and Dadonov all stayed and tried to have their team mates stay. At least those guys still have class.

It takes a bit of extra to stay when the rest of your team is going. Kudos to these guys.

#NotAllRussians ;)

pylon
08-26-2015, 04:08 PM
So are they going to pay?

LOL, yeah right.

As a country, Russia is the equivalent of the guy that has a prepaid Capital One Card, a 29.9% car loan on a miled out 10 year old BMW X5, and has to pay his rent in cash as a condition of his tenancy, yet acts like the hugest baller on the block.

Yes, I fully realize that was an incredibly obscure, yet specific at the same time analogy.

Daradon
08-26-2015, 10:19 PM
The Russian government doesn't pay, the Russian ice hockey federation does. I know the latter is largely bsed on funding from the first, but it's still two entirely different things.

Not to mention that, no matter how poor or beligerant the Russian government is, 85,000 is less than one percent of a percent of couch change.

Travis Munroe
08-26-2015, 11:15 PM
Came to post the "not all Russians left" and saw it was already posted.
I think this is a very important aspect of the situation. Most of the NHL players stuck around and the players who did stick around do not deserve to be thrown in the same basket as the typical classless Russian player.
After such a loss, it would be extremely hard not to leave the ice, especially when most of your team has already gone.

cKy
08-27-2015, 01:55 PM
I have nothing to add except I watched Red Army last night. A documentary on Slava Fetisov and the Red Army history. It was pretty awesome and you get a sense on why the russians did this - it's in their culture.

Locke
08-27-2015, 02:09 PM
Came to post the "not all Russians left" and saw it was already posted.
I think this is a very important aspect of the situation. Most of the NHL players stuck around and the players who did stick around do not deserve to be thrown in the same basket as the typical classless Russian player.
After such a loss, it would be extremely hard not to leave the ice, especially when most of your team has already gone.

Which is hilarious if you think about it. The NHL players stuck around, but the KHL and whatever else players left.

The ones who knew exactly what the protocol was bailed, the people used to something totally different stayed.

FLAME ENVY
08-27-2015, 03:23 PM
Which is hilarious if you think about it. The NHL players stuck around, but the KHL and whatever else players left.

The ones who knew exactly what the protocol was bailed, the people used to something totally different stayed.

I watched the game but can't recollect. Did any current NHL players leave the ice or were they all KHL (or other league) players ?