PDA

View Full Version : Adidas wins long-term deal to make uniforms for the 30 NHL teams, beginning 2017-18

Pages : [1] 2

hockey.modern
08-17-2015, 12:35 PM
http://www.tsn.ca/talent/adidas-lands-nhl-jersey-deal-1.346839

icarus
08-17-2015, 12:41 PM
A source told TSN that the deal would surely mean big changes to uniform designs, perhaps with Adidas’s familiar three-stripe trademark being added to some or all team jerseys.

“The NHL might not want big changes like that, but for the money Adidas will pay, they’ll be pretty aggressive pushing to make the NHL jerseys identifiable with their brand,” the source said.

Moving to a new jersey supplier may be a natural transition for the NHL to begin introducing on-jersey advertising, several league sources told TSN.

During a meeting of NHL team presidents in New York last year, league officials estimated they might raise $4 million per team – or $120 million annually – by allowing corporate sponsors to put their logos front and centre on jerseys.

Nooooooooo!!!!!!!

undercoverbrother
08-17-2015, 12:43 PM
aaaaand away we go!!!

Swayze11
08-17-2015, 12:43 PM
I am a little concerned about this move. Every college football jerseys that are Adidas have been really bad in my opinion. One major college (Notre Dame) dropped Adidas and went with Under Armour.

Here are some of Adidas hideous jerseys: http://www.sbnation.com/college-football/2015/7/24/9031341/adidas-michigan-notre-dame-nebraska-ucla-why-why-why-why-why

The Yen Man
08-17-2015, 12:45 PM
The day they put advertising on jerseys is the day I stop buying any more NHL merchandise.

jayswin
08-17-2015, 12:45 PM
“The NHL might not want big changes like that, but for the money Adidas will pay, they’ll be pretty aggressive pushing to make the NHL jerseys identifiable with their brand,” the source said.

**** off, Adidas.

Hack&Lube
08-17-2015, 12:46 PM
TIL that Adidas and Puma used to be the same family company. Two brothers feuded and split off on opposite sides of the town river and formed the two companies.

SuperMatt18
08-17-2015, 12:49 PM
Don't think they will put three stripes everywhere.

Not like they did that for the NBA jerseys, the soccer jerseys they make tend to all have the three stripes but that fits since it has been that way traditionally.

Adidas currently owns Reebok anyways so really it is no change. Adidas just wants to put more emphasis on the primary brand for major sports, as Reebok is becoming primarily a fitness brand, with UFC and Crossfit as it's two biggest partners.

MrMastodonFarm
08-17-2015, 12:49 PM
I am a little concerned about this move. Every college football jerseys that are Adidas have been really bad in my opinion. One major college (Notre Dame) dropped Adidas and went with Under Armour.

Here are some of Adidas hideous jerseys: http://www.sbnation.com/college-football/2015/7/24/9031341/adidas-michigan-notre-dame-nebraska-ucla-why-why-why-why-why
Oh Lord, what are those.

Toonage
08-17-2015, 12:50 PM
Silver lining: no more piping?

undercoverbrother
08-17-2015, 12:52 PM
The day they put advertising on jerseys is the day I stop buying any more NHL merchandise.

Yeah that isn't a big deal to me.

undercoverbrother
08-17-2015, 12:55 PM
http://ep.yimg.com/ay/sports-k/michigan-navy-reebok-premier-hockey-jersey-lace-neck-2014-2015-4.gif

That actually looks pretty good.

Benched
08-17-2015, 12:55 PM
ads on our jerseys...oh no.

when I watch hockey in Europe, the ads on the ice surface and jerseys are just so over the top....I can't even.

we already whore out the boards and some of the ice surface. that's enough, more than enough, already. :|

getbak
08-17-2015, 12:57 PM
I can't see them changing much.

It will likely just be a re-branding of the existing jerseys because Adidas is repositioning its various brands to focus on different areas. Reebok is being positioned as a lifestyle/training/crossfit brand, and hockey doesn't really fit with the other areas they're focused on.

I'm surprised they aren't going with CCM branding like the CHL and AHL have moved to in recent years (since Adidas is CCM's parent company, the deal might be with Adidas, but they still could use the CCM branding).

I would expect a bigger design change if they were going with an entirely different company.

The Flames are due for a re-design anyway.

ComixZone
08-17-2015, 01:14 PM
I can't see them changing much.

It will likely just be a re-branding of the existing jerseys because Adidas is repositioning its various brands to focus on different areas. Reebok is being positioned as a lifestyle/training/crossfit brand, and hockey doesn't really fit with the other areas they're focused on.

I'm surprised they aren't going with CCM branding like the CHL and AHL have moved to in recent years (since Adidas is CCM's parent company, the deal might be with Adidas, but they still could use the CCM branding).

I would expect a bigger design change if they were going with an entirely different company.

The Flames are due for a re-design anyway.

Why would Adidas spend all this money to release an identical jersey that most of their new installed fanbase already own? If they had that planned, why would they go through the bother of doubling their subsidiary's current deal?

Everyone will get re-designs, much like we did when Reebok won the bid all those years ago. Instant way to create a big influx of cash.

I'll be happy to get a re-design.

...advertisements on jerseys won't make me too happy though.

polak
08-17-2015, 01:15 PM
Oooo I'm excited. I seem to recall many of you saying you'd never buy NHL jerseys with ads on them and the backlash I got when I said that there's pretty much no chance you stick to your word if you're already buying jerseys on the regular.

I can't wait to see the hilarious back tracking if the jersey ends up looking great or once the initial shock wears off and you end up wanting the new jersey like everyone else.

sec304
08-17-2015, 01:15 PM
I agree, 30 new jerseys! (well the O6 one's will probably stay the same but still)

codynw
08-17-2015, 01:18 PM
I can't wait for NHL uniforms to look like this!

http://static.theglobeandmail.ca/1be/sports/hockey/article4795252.ece/ALTERNATES/w620/CPT109_HKN_Lockout_Europe.JPG

Tyler
08-17-2015, 01:19 PM
Please god make them redo the Flames jersey! Pretty pretty please?

Huntingwhale
08-17-2015, 01:20 PM
If ads get put on jersey's, I hope every single company that stains their crappy logo on an NHL jersey goes broke.

codynw
08-17-2015, 01:22 PM
If ads get put on jersey's, I hope every single company that stains their crappy logo on an NHL jersey goes broke.

I hope the entire league folds if they put ads on jerseys.

MrMastodonFarm
08-17-2015, 01:22 PM
Oooo I'm excited. I seem to recall many of you saying you'd never buy NHL jerseys with ads on them and the backlash I got when I said that there's pretty much no chance you stick to your word if you're already buying jerseys on the regular.

I can't wait to see the hilarious back tracking if the jersey ends up looking great or once the initial shock wears off and you end up wanting the new jersey like everyone else.

You're such an edgy young man.

HOWITZER
08-17-2015, 01:23 PM
Moarrrr piping/stripes!

dino7c
08-17-2015, 01:30 PM
I will buy the Chinese versions without the ads...

although some of those will have knock off ads lol

codynw
08-17-2015, 01:30 PM
I will buy the Chinese versions without the ads...

although some of those will have knock off ads lol

Scotlabamk

RM14
08-17-2015, 01:42 PM
I absolutely hate the idea if NHL jerseys with advertisements. That being said, the replica fan jersey's will likely not have the advertisements. Similar how the Stamps on field jerseys have two ad patches on them, yet when I buy a jersey from the stamps store, they are clean.

Addick
08-17-2015, 01:44 PM

Allowing jersey sponsors doesn't mean it will end up like how it is in European hockey leagues. Kit sponsors have existed in English football for decades yet it hasn't resulted in the sponsor strewn shirts seen in South American football leagues.

Toonage
08-17-2015, 01:47 PM
Dumb question, but do the CFL jerseys sold in stores have ads sewn onto them as well or just the jerseys the players wear?

Maybe that would be the case with NHL if ads begin to appear on jerseys. They'd be there on the ice, but the ones you buy wouldn't have them?

btimbit
08-17-2015, 01:51 PM
If it was jersy ads like they have on practice jersey's and CFL jerseys, I suppose I could lice with it. I'll hate it and I hope it doesn't happen, but won't be the end of the world.

Doesn't Adidas own Reebok anyway? I wonder if there will be many changes. Wouldn't mind a Flames re-design though

Stranger
08-17-2015, 01:52 PM
Surely with this extra revenue the teams will lower ticket prices to give back to the fans...

Flames89
08-17-2015, 01:53 PM
Happy to know the Flames will finally get their long overdue redesign, but unhappy that it will be a non-hockey brand making the jerseys more streamlined and focus-group-approved

polak
08-17-2015, 01:53 PM
You're such an edgy young man.

yesir.

now go preorder the jersey you corporate slave.

getbak
08-17-2015, 02:01 PM
Why would Adidas spend all this money to release an identical jersey that most of their new installed fanbase already own? If they had that planned, why would they go through the bother of doubling their subsidiary's current deal?
They increased what they're paying because they were competing with Nike and Under Armour for the contract.

Last year, with the Canadian tv deal, we saw what happens when the incumbent doesn't put forward a competitive offer and a new player wants into the game and is willing to pay to get it.

Benched
08-17-2015, 02:07 PM
Surely with this extra revenue the teams will lower ticket prices to give back to the fans...

http://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h37/DunesVladHarkonnen/alright_zpsc3ee65ff.gif

getbak
08-17-2015, 02:22 PM
It's funny, if the story had been written as, "the company that has been making the NHL's jerseys for years will continue to make the NHL's jerseys", people wouldn't have given it a second thought.

codynw
08-17-2015, 02:27 PM
It's funny, if the story had been written as, "the company that has been making the NHL's jerseys for years will continue to make the NHL's jerseys", people wouldn't have given it a second thought.

Yea but there's more to it than that, so I don't know what you're trying to say.

I bet all 30(+?) teams have new jerseys in 2016-17.

Iveman
08-17-2015, 02:29 PM
During a meeting of NHL team presidents in New York last year, league officials estimated they might raise $4 million per team – or $120 million annually – by allowing corporate sponsors to put their logos front and centre on jerseys.

Is that $4 million per team per year?

Flames can pay Jiri Hudlers contract while making 90% of fans mad and not buying jerseys.

getbak
08-17-2015, 02:32 PM
Yea but there's more to it than that, so I don't know what you're trying to say.

I bet all 30(+?) teams have new jerseys in 2016-17.
I'm saying that the same company that has been making the jerseys for years will still be making the jerseys.

Adidas is Reebok is CCM.

btimbit
08-17-2015, 02:32 PM
Same company sure but I'm sure there will be some design changes beyond just the logo

jayswin
08-17-2015, 02:41 PM

http://static.comicvine.com/uploads/original/11111/111114474/3868727-confused+yo.gif (http://www.google.ca/url?sa=i&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=images&cd=&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0CAcQjRxqFQoTCPrK0o_9sMcCFYZPkgod6z0BoA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.asexuality.org%2Fen%2Ftopic%2 F110463-post-a-gif-that-reflects-your-mood%2Fpage-111&ei=30bSVbrfMYafyQTr-4SACg&bvm=bv.99804247,d.aWw&psig=AFQjCNEP7Zf-nxHU3qncHnkgr7jPW0CeHA&ust=1439930446749830)

edit: Oh I get it, saw your second post.

IgiTang
08-17-2015, 02:43 PM
Honestly, since Adidas owns Reebok, are we going to see a whole lot of change anyway?

I don't think the Reebok brand has been very strong the last couple years even with the NHL rights. So this seems like a no brainer for Adidas to essentially rebrand NHL merch.

polak
08-17-2015, 02:49 PM
Is that $4 million per team per year?

Flames can pay Jiri Hudlers contract while making 90% of fans mad and not buying jerseys.

4 million is quite a bit of coin to just say no to.

Zarley
08-17-2015, 02:51 PM
Hopefully this finally means the end of the Flames' horrendous set. It's been ten years!

codynw
08-17-2015, 02:52 PM
4 million is quite a bit of coin to just say no to.

To me and you, perhaps. To a very rich NHL team owner? Who knows. Do you think the Maple Leafs care enough about that $4M to ruin their jerseys? Or the Blackhawks?

heep223
08-17-2015, 02:55 PM
To me and you, perhaps. To a very rich NHL team owner? Who knows. Do you think the Maple Leafs care enough about that $4M to ruin their jerseys? Or the Blackhawks?

Plus you'd have to think that it'll eat into jersey sales revenues.

polak
08-17-2015, 03:06 PM

The Panthers and Coyotes do.

The question is do the Leafs and Blackhawks care enough about their fans to hurt other franchises who could use any revenue they can get.

Considering that we're all addicted to the NHL machine, I doubt they side with the fans because eventually, they'll get over it and I doubt we see any sort of real decline in sales.

Hell, there's also a chance they don't sell the replicas with ads on them anyways.

jayswin
08-17-2015, 03:09 PM

The question is do the Leafs and Blackhawks care enough about their fans to hurt other franchises who could use any revenue they can get.

Considering that we're all addicted to the NHL machine, I doubt they side with the fans because eventually, they'll get over it and I doubt we see any sort of real decline in sales.

Hell, there's also a chance they don't sell the replicas with ads on them anyways.

Who knows. And to be fair you're also the guy who doubted Calgary Flames fans could fill McMahon stadium for a Stanley Cup celebration, so we should probably take any of your doubts with a HUGE grain of salt.

codynw
08-17-2015, 03:10 PM

The Panthers, Coyotes and Hurricanes should all be relocated so that this isn't a problem anymore.

northcrunk
08-17-2015, 03:18 PM
Get ready for the 3 stripe track suits and winter jackets to make a comeback, except with team logos.

topfiverecords
08-17-2015, 03:20 PM

http://static.theglobeandmail.ca/1be/sports/hockey/article4795252.ece/ALTERNATES/w620/CPT109_HKN_Lockout_Europe.JPG

Awesome! The goalie pads even give you next day's weather forecast.

undercoverbrother
08-17-2015, 03:23 PM
Get ready for the 3 stripe track suits and winter jackets to make a comeback, except with team logos.

I rocked this back in the day:

https://img0.etsystatic.com/060/0/7310470/il_570xN.707533758_27z3.jpg

A Flames version would be sweet.

polak
08-17-2015, 03:24 PM
Who knows. And to be fair you're also the guy who doubted Calgary Flames fans could fill McMahon stadium for a Stanley Cup celebration, so we should probably take any of your doubts with a HUGE grain of salt.

If the Flames were able to sell the black horse head and the current 3rd with relative success than I don't think fans actually care whats on the jersey.

iggyformayor
08-17-2015, 03:29 PM
Honestly, since Adidas owns Reebok, are we going to see a whole lot of change anyway?

I don't think the Reebok brand has been very strong the last couple years even with the NHL rights. So this seems like a no brainer for Adidas to essentially rebrand NHL merch.

Actually Reebok as a brand has been stronger in the last couple years than it has been in decades, mostly due to CrossFit and now their affiliation with UFC. In fact, there have been a lot of rumours of Adidas possibly selling Reebok due to their current strength, and I think this new deal actually strengthens this possibility as Adidas won't take as big of a hit losing the NHL rights when the sale goes through.

Just a tidbit of information that isn't really public yet as well, Adidas will also be taking over the CFL jersey rights next year...

getbak
08-17-2015, 03:41 PM
I rocked this back in the day:

https://img0.etsystatic.com/060/0/7310470/il_570xN.707533758_27z3.jpg

A Flames version would be sweet.
That was my school bag in grade 5 or 6.

Now, I want to see a Photoshop of Run DMC (Dougie, Monahan, Colborne)... get on it, CP.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/B1NGHvbIAAAcb0C.jpg

lazypucker
08-17-2015, 04:06 PM
If I am say Coca-Cola and paying $100 million a year on jersey advertisements, I will make sure that all team merchandise (jerseys, t-shirts, hats, jock straps, etc.) will have my company logo on it...

CroFlames
08-17-2015, 04:11 PM
I associate Adidas with soccer and the 80s.

That could be an interesting combination for hockey jerseys.

We also all agree that jersey advertisements are lame, but likely unavoidable. Too rich of a proposition to turn down which sucks.

Finger Cookin
08-17-2015, 04:12 PM
I didn't know Adidas owned Reebok.

http://i.imgur.com/fj5LVXC.gif

4X4
08-17-2015, 04:27 PM
Scotlabamk

Sorny, Magnet Box and Panaphonics?

Put it in 'H'!

MrMastodonFarm
08-17-2015, 04:32 PM
yesir.

now go preorder the jersey you corporate slave.

I've bought once jersey in the last ten years and that was the outdated pro Iginla throwback during the Sportchek summer sale that everyone went loopy for two summers ago.

Cappy
08-17-2015, 04:48 PM

That goalie should be watching the skaters hips. Everyone knows Shakira's hips don't lie...

I'll show myself out.

foofighter15
08-17-2015, 05:05 PM
Only $4 Million would go to the Flames for ads on the jersey? Seems like chump for a potential historic change in the NHL. How about a Calgary puck Kickstarter to buy the Flames advertising spots and leave them blank?

Resolute 14
08-17-2015, 05:10 PM

You are are even more annoying and useless than ads on jerseys.

heep223
08-17-2015, 05:11 PM
Only $4 Million would go to the Flames for ads on the jersey? Seems like chump for a potential historic change in the NHL. How about a Calgary puck Kickstarter to buy the Flames advertising spots and leave them blank?

I wonder whether the ads will be the same league-wide, or each team would have their own? I know euro soccer each team has their own sponsor, but no idea in other sports.

indes
08-17-2015, 07:09 PM
I believe that ads on the jerseys would make the NHL look really mickey mouse, especially to non-fans. I would guess it impedes their growth for sure.

Erick Estrada
08-17-2015, 07:09 PM
Not big on the ads on jerseys but more money for the league is good for the NHL especially if the CDN dollar remains below the US for the future. I will reserve judgement until I see the future changes.

Badgers Nose
08-17-2015, 07:14 PM

I read that as the leagues cut per team. Probably 40%.

I'm all for NHL sweaters entering the 21st century. The materials now are crap.

Joborule
08-17-2015, 07:16 PM
Probably a broken record since I haven't read past page 1, but at least the Flames jerseys can finally change to (hopefully) something better.

FireGilbert
08-17-2015, 08:31 PM
I find it funny that people will walk around with a jersey that advertises the NHL, the Calgary Flames, and Reebok but any talk of adding something like a Scotiabank logo and all of a sudden the jersey is unwearable.

As someone who owns a couple rugby jerseys I don't have a problem with advertisements as long as they are kept small and the colours don't clash with the jersey colours. For example pretty much any red, white, or black corporate logo would look better than the hideous blue flag on the Flames' current jerseys.

Magnum PEI
08-17-2015, 08:40 PM
I read that as the leagues cut per team. Probably 40%.

I'm all for NHL sweaters entering the 21st century. The materials now are crap.
They tried new fancy materials in '07 but 99% of the players hated it and switched to the old material (though the back and armpits are still stretchy mesh).

I've finally got used to the flames jerseys and I hope they just make minor changes like removing the flags and adding bottom striping.

getbak
08-17-2015, 08:49 PM
I'm glad they're not going with Nike. I hate the look and feel of their international jerseys.

Iveman
08-17-2015, 08:53 PM
I am not a walking billboard. I buy a jersey to show support for the Flames not jiffy lube, Boston pizza or any other company or cooperation that gets sewn on to it.

codynw
08-17-2015, 09:00 PM
I find it funny that people will walk around with a jersey that advertises the NHL, the Calgary Flames, and Reebok but any talk of adding something like a Scotiabank logo and all of a sudden the jersey is unwearable.

Sorry but this argument is really stupid. I buy a Flames jersey because I want to support the Flames. I couldn't care less about Scotiabank, so why would I want to wear something with their logo on it?

And Reebok is the jersey manufacturer, not a third party that paid money to put a logo on. Not the same thing.

Joborule
08-17-2015, 09:41 PM
Why is it assume that the retail versions of the jerseys will had ads on them? The CFL doesn't.

You Need a Thneed
08-17-2015, 09:57 PM
Why is it assume that the retail versions of the jerseys will had ads on them? The CFL doesn't.

The cfl went several years where you couldn't even buy a jersey that looked like the stamps jersey.

The Stamps had a white pinstripe underneath the name bar, and you couldn't buy a jersey that had the same.

t0rrent98
08-18-2015, 12:08 AM
Advertisements on NHL jerseys should ONLY be on as the Shoulder patches or just above the # on the arms, if put on any other part of the jersey its going to look ugly as **** IMO. I'd much rather buy a t-shirt or hat than buy a jersey with advertisements.

UKflames
08-18-2015, 05:58 AM
A lot of over reaction on here about the possibility of having sponsor logos on the jersey. I think we can safely say that no team is going to whip their logo off the front of the jersey and replace it with a sponsors logo, like we have in soccer. Give the NHL some credit they are aware of the history involved with some of the teams, especially the original six teams, and are not going to alienate their core fans with this.
You cannot use the European teams as an example of what this will become as it is a totally different financial situation. In Europe we need that many sponsors on the shirts to survive, in the NHL this is just to make extra money, so there is not the need to have as many sponsors. I think we can expect to see 1 or 2 key sponsors and that will be your lot.

Puppet Guy
08-18-2015, 07:10 AM
Not a fan of the idea of altering the uniforms to suit Adidas' three-stripes. But here's an example of it actually working:

http://www.goironpigs.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/01/10-1-a-a-rus-coach-ussr-86.jpg

...and here's a rendering of it not working so well:

https://farm1.staticflickr.com/709/20050306343_0352a1afb5_z.jpg

Split98
08-18-2015, 08:27 AM
Would be surprised if it actually had any Adidas branding on it at all. As mentioned before, they own CCM and it would be far more in their interest to strengthen that brand over introducing another brand option to hockey. So I'd expect this to just be a flip of the logo and not much else.

However, with the re-brand I do anticipate Adidas introducing a few new jersey templates to work with. Over the years we have seen squared off shoulder yokes and the outdoor games have introduced new collars -- so much in line with that thinking. But I'm sure there will be a push from a few teams still on the old Reebok cut to make the transition finally.

Expect new jerseys from the Flames, Islanders (Brooklyn jerseys), Penguins and Senators for sure. Not much else as most of the other teams have re-styled recently enough or just don't need to. I wouldn't be surprised to see the Ducks make a full switch back to their classic logo in a couple years time with this new 3rd inevitably flying off the shelf. So this would be their opportunity to re-brand as well. It will be opportunistic for certain teams, but not a mandatory re-style as it was with Reebok as all the old templates teams are on will still be available.

I think this would also be in line with the expansion as well. No?

As far as the advertisements, I'll be shocked if it doesn't EVENTUALLY happen to all leagues. The money is on the table. Someone at each league is going to pull the trigger someday. All I can hope with that is that they are strict on incorporating them into the jerseys. 1-colour logos, with the teams colours and in-line with the design. Please?

Split98
08-18-2015, 08:50 AM
Pardon the Oilers... but this shouldn't offend anyone if this is what happened:

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CMsikgoVAAA0lQk.jpg

Still think it'll be CCM. But IF it was Adidas, I'll take it!

CroFlames
08-18-2015, 08:59 AM
Nothing wrong with the branding on that Eberle.

I doubt Adidas would run 3 stripes down the arms of all 30 teams, but there should at least be redesign of jerseys coming soon.

polak
08-18-2015, 09:11 AM
That looks slick. I doubt it's that subtle though but hopefully I'm wrong.

GioforPM
08-18-2015, 02:12 PM

So you either really like ads on jerseys (weird) or you are excited that someone might go back on their word (weirder).

Resolute 14
08-18-2015, 02:19 PM
Honestly, those three vertical stripes look pointless and stupid. It just busies up the look. And if there is one problem our own jerseys already have, it is that they are too damned busy.

getbak
08-18-2015, 02:54 PM
Adidas didn't add their three stripes to all the NBA jerseys. They haven't added their three stripes to the football jerseys they've made.

I don't see them trying to add their stripes to the NHL's jerseys either.

northcrunk
08-18-2015, 02:57 PM

Or even better a kickstarter to buy a big steamping pile of poo as on the oilers Jerseys

:poo:

Ben_in_Canada
08-18-2015, 04:17 PM
As someone who owns a couple rugby jerseys I don't have a problem with advertisements as long as they are kept small and the colours don't clash with the jersey colours. For example pretty much any red, white, or black corporate logo would look better than the hideous blue flag on the Flames' current jerseys.

I picked this up when I was home in December. Got to admit, I'm not a fan of the ads. Especially the same bank twice on the front (This is a training jersey though)
Effin huge image.
http://www.rugbystore.co.uk/wso/images/library/tee-front1-72dpi-rgb.jpg20?view=976

undercoverbrother
08-18-2015, 04:20 PM
I picked this up when I was home in December. Got to admit, I'm not a fan of the ads. Especially the same bank twice on the front (This is a training jersey though)
Effin huge image.
http://www.rugbystore.co.uk/wso/images/library/tee-front1-72dpi-rgb.jpg20?view=976

Also the Reds sucked, so there is that as well.

FireGilbert
08-18-2015, 08:48 PM
So my post was called stupid and now my favourite rugby team sucks (this point is completely true but still depressing). I think I need to read the Edmonton is no good thread to cheer up.

Regarding the Reds jerseys, I don't really like the St. George ads, I preferred when they were sponsored by Queensland Rail and had an appropriate QR on the jersey.

Also, here is an interesting article from THN on the history of jersey ads in professional hockey. The Halifax Mooseheads are a great example of a corporate logo on a jersey and it is hilarious the Hershey AHL team was once called the B'ars.

http://www.thehockeynews.com/blog/north-american-jerseys-have-always-had-commercial-ties/

My last point in this thread: Playing hockey growing up we always had team sponsor ads on our jerseys and the link above shows there is also a history of it in professional hockey. If the Flames have a large sponsor which helps contribute to the success of the team why not put a small logo on the shoulder or right chest. I am not saying I want it and will love it but it will not "ruin" the jersey like some are suggesting.

PIMking
08-18-2015, 09:24 PM
TIL that Adidas and Puma used to be the same family company. Two brothers feuded and split off on opposite sides of the town river and formed the two companies.
Adi Dassler (adidas) was the fist to give shoes to an athlete in Jessie Owens

Rudolph Dassler was a huge nazi supporter

Brothers hated each other

GioforPM
08-19-2015, 08:21 AM
Adi Dassler (adidas) was the fist to give shoes to an athlete in Jessie Owens

Rudolph Dassler was a huge nazi supporter

Brothers hated each other

Interesting. And also discomforting because I like to buy Puma stuff. :blink:

Flames89
08-19-2015, 09:08 AM
Interesting. And also discomforting because I like to buy Puma stuff. :blink:

In that case you should also cross Hugo Boss and Audi cars off your list

undercoverbrother
08-19-2015, 09:10 AM
in that case you should also cross hugo boss and audi&vw cars and fanta off your list

fyp

Split98
08-19-2015, 09:21 AM
In that case you should also cross Hugo Boss and Audi/VW/Porsche cars and Fanta off your list

fyp

FYFoHP

GioforPM
08-19-2015, 09:47 AM

No problem, I'm too cheap anyway.

Locke
08-19-2015, 10:32 AM

I said this the last time this topic cropped up.

$4M is a lot to say no to, but at the same time doesnt seem like enough in order to sell brand image.

Here are two studies about how much individual teams in England and Europe get, per year, for the rights to their uniforms.

I mean, Manchester United (bleh!) get $195M per YEAR for the rights to their kit, even the lowest teams get $1M+ per year.

http://espn.go.com/espn/feature/story/_/id/13455547/european-football-most-valuable-kits-2015-16

http://espn.go.com/espn/feature/story/_/id/13357293/english-premier-league-most-valuable-kits-2015-16

polak
08-19-2015, 10:53 AM
Man U, Arsenal, Liverpool... These are all massive, massive teams that have more brand recognition world wide than probably all NHL teams combined.

How many people outside of Calgary own a Flames jersey? Even the Maple Leafs and Canadians have very little actual support outside of Canada when compared to middling European teams.

Locke
08-19-2015, 11:04 AM
Man U, Arsenal, Liverpool... These are all massive, massive teams that have more brand recognition world wide than probably all NHL teams combined.

How many people outside of Calgary own a Flames jersey? Even the Maple Leafs and Canadians have very little actual support outside of Canada when compared to middling European teams.

Thanks, I've only ever watched soccer once or twice and didnt know that.

I'm not saying they should be getting $100M/season I'm just saying that they should get more than $4M.

polak
08-19-2015, 11:50 AM
Thanks, I've only ever watched soccer once or twice and didnt know that.

I'm not saying they should be getting $100M/season I'm just saying that they should get more than $4M.

and I'm saying I'd be shocked if they could. Would be nice though.

Locke
08-19-2015, 12:05 PM
and I'm saying I'd be shocked if they could. Would be nice though.

The problem is that everything has to be collectively bargained on the ownership side, I know collective bargaining is a 'players thing' but it also exists on the business side.

Its a collective deal. Adidas is signing the contract with the NHL and thus all 30 teams, the problem is that the Flames get the same cash as the Habs and the Panthers.

PIMking
08-19-2015, 12:45 PM

along with Ford, GM, Disney, Nivea, Mercedes, VW/Porsche....

Split98
08-19-2015, 01:41 PM

Not to sidetrack... but... woah.

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-T-SV1WOVZ-4/UTuNVmY5SCI/AAAAAAAAC0c/0OqR5BwLelE/s1600/Henry+Ford+receiving+the+Grand+Cross+of+the+German +Eagle+from+Nazi+officials.+1938.jpg

At a ceremony in Dearborn, Michigan, Henry Ford is presented with the Grand Cross of the Supreme Order of the German Eagle on his 75th birthday. Henry Ford is the first American recipient of this, an honor created a year earlier by Adolf Hitler. This is the highest honor Nazi Germany could give to any foreigner and represents Adolf Hitler’s personal admiration and indebtedness to Henry Ford. The presentation is made by Karl Kapp, German consul in Cleveland, and Fritz Heller, German consular representative in Detroit. Ford is the only American mentioned in Hitler’s book “Mein Kampf”.
http://rarehistoricalphotos.com/henry-ford-receiving-grand-cross-german-eagle-nazi-officials-1938/

#ilearnedsomethingtoday

Locke
08-19-2015, 01:43 PM
Oh yeah, thats ancient history. Creepy as all hell though.

getbak
08-19-2015, 06:50 PM
Also, here is an interesting article from THN on the history of jersey ads in professional hockey. The Halifax Mooseheads are a great example of a corporate logo on a jersey and it is hilarious the Hershey AHL team was once called the B'ars.

http://www.thehockeynews.com/blog/north-american-jerseys-have-always-had-commercial-ties/
San Jose's new AHL team is named the Barracuda...

http://2.cdn.nhle.com/sharks/images/upload/2015/04/20150402-sj-barracuda-dl.jpg

Sponsored by Barracuda Networks...

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/2/2f/Barracuda-networks-logo.jpg/320px-Barracuda-networks-logo.jpg

Vulcan
08-20-2015, 05:57 AM
Originally Posted by PIMking http://forumcdn.calgarypuck.com/images/calpuck/buttons/viewpost.gif (http://forum.calgarypuck.com/showthread.php?p=5398569#post5398569)
You can add the Royal family to the list.

http://www.globalresearch.ca/wp-content/uploads/2014/05/hitlergeorge-400x255.jpg

“I never thought Hitler was such a bad chap,” said George’s brother, the former King Edward VIII, who became the Duke of Windsor after abdicating in 1936. Edward made this remark in 1970 when it was widely known that Hitler and the Nazis had directly and indirectly killed more than 40 million civilians and soldiers (http://necrometrics.com/20c5m.htm#Hitler).
The Nazis planned to install the Duke as leader after a successful conquest of Britain. The former head of British naval intelligence (http://www.fpp.co.uk/online/05/01/Royal_Nazis.html) said Hitler “would soon be in this country, but that there was no reason to worry about it because he would bring the Duke of Windsor over as king.”

Back on track it's "hockey sweater" not jersey. Jersey is a cow or something synthetic from New Jersey.

This insidious encroachment of American terms into the Canadian language, especially when it refers to something so important to both of Canada's national sports, must stop.

But I can see you all rolling over with the sweater ads as easily as we gave up our name for our sweater.

http://www.thepeterboroughexaminer.com/2009/09/19/hockey-players-wear-sweaters-not-jerseys

Oh yeah it's defence not defense as well.

FlatLandFlamesFan
08-20-2015, 07:52 AM
San Jose's new AHL team is named the Barracuda...

http://2.cdn.nhle.com/sharks/images/upload/2015/04/20150402-sj-barracuda-dl.jpg

Sponsored by Barracuda Networks...

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/2/2f/Barracuda-networks-logo.jpg/320px-Barracuda-networks-logo.jpg
That is a pretty sweet logo IMO , very subtle addition of the "brand"

heep223
08-20-2015, 08:07 AM

Isn't Edward's quote an example of one that was famously taken out of context? As in "I didn't think Hitler was such a bad chap....and then realized he was a monster". Could be wrong though.

Vulcan
08-20-2015, 08:33 AM
Isn't Edward's quote an example of one that was famously taken out of context? As in "I didn't think Hitler was such a bad chap....and then realized he was a monster". Could be wrong though.

I don't know but here's Princess Elizabeth and her sister Margaret.

http://www.covertbookreport.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/08/royal-nazi-2.jpg

The short black-and-white clip, filmed at the royals’ Balmoral estate in Scotland, shows Edward — whom the paper describes as “Nazi-sympathising” — apparently encouraging his young nieces and sister-in-law to perform the salute, before himself joining them.

http://www.covertbookreport.com/the-royal-nazis/

heep223
08-20-2015, 08:43 AM
I don't know but here's Princess Elizabeth and her sister Margaret.

http://www.covertbookreport.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/08/royal-nazi-2.jpg

http://www.covertbookreport.com/the-royal-nazis/

I believe this was also controversial, partly because it was in 1933 or something and thus before everyone knew that Hitler was a ####ing animal. Pretty sure that was published by the Sun and it created an uproar because it was widely considered sensationalistic and irresponsible journalism. And they're kids. Again I could be wrong though...

DJones
08-20-2015, 08:50 AM
Not to get off topic but before the news of the Holocaust came to light it was easy to be a Nazi sympathizer. The Treaty of Versailles in my opinion could only ever have resulted in another war.

End Rant haha

If Jersey ads led directly to the salary cap going up $2 million I think that would be worth it. Never Nascar style but there is a line you can ride that would be acceptable.

Hanna Sniper
08-20-2015, 08:50 AM
###### move Vulcan, very irresponsible

Vulcan
08-20-2015, 11:11 AM
###### move Vulcan, very irresponsible

Why, it's part of our history and was well publicized. As has been said the attitude towards Hitler was different in the early years than later when the twisted results came out. There were more than a few prominent Nazi sympathizers such as Charles Lingbergh. Another part was the German heritage the Royal family had may have had some influence.

sec304
08-20-2015, 11:21 AM
Can we get the title fixed to show the proper date of 2017-18??

dissentowner
08-20-2015, 11:38 AM
What the hell is all this Hitler crap? I clicked on this thread to see about possible new jerseys and all I read is about Hitler? Who cares.

Locke
08-20-2015, 11:48 AM
What the hell is all this Hitler crap? I clicked on this thread to see about possible new jerseys and all I read is about Hitler? Who cares.

You can never escape Hitler! So says Godwin!

Sol
08-20-2015, 03:33 PM
Sorry, Wills, but a pink ribbon on a jersey is different than a McDonald's logo.

**Referencing 960's conversation on jersey ads**

Locke
08-20-2015, 03:36 PM
According to this thread I think we have worse logos to worry about being put on jerseys than McDonald's.

And as far as ribbons are concerned, hopefully we dont get...you know...armbands...:blink:

undercoverbrother
08-20-2015, 03:37 PM

The Jews?

The Gypsies?

The Gays?

getbak
08-20-2015, 05:02 PM
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Bm5o4JdCMAAH6_M.jpg

d_phaneuf
08-20-2015, 05:42 PM
British History threads are the best

how can we link ads on jerseys to the battle of Waterloo....

getbak
08-20-2015, 06:04 PM
British History threads are the best

how can we link ads on jerseys to the battle of Waterloo....

Napoleon was defeated in the Battle of Waterloo.
Napoleon was born in Corsica.
Chevrolet used to make a car called the Corsica.
Chevrolet is the jersey sponsor of Manchester United.

FlamesFanStrandedInEDM
08-20-2015, 06:13 PM
Adidas has had the NBA jerseys for several years now, they haven't done anything to compromise what they looked like prior when Reebok had the rights.

TX_Flame
08-20-2015, 06:37 PM
Bwahahahahaha! 😂

TX_Flame
08-20-2015, 06:43 PM
If the Flames were able to sell the black horse head and the current 3rd with relative success than I don't think fans actually care whats on the jersey.
I actually kind of liked the flaming horse snot jerseys!

TopChed
08-20-2015, 08:12 PM
Adidas has had the NBA jerseys for several years now, they haven't done anything to compromise what they looked like prior when Reebok had the rights.

Can't say I'm impressed by their NCAA (https://cdn-images-1.medium.com/max/755/0*Uu0GGErGj6CIGhac.) work though.

FlamesFanStrandedInEDM
08-20-2015, 09:54 PM
Can't say I'm impressed by their NCAA (https://cdn-images-1.medium.com/max/755/0*Uu0GGErGj6CIGhac.) work though.

The NCAA jerseys are still designed by each institution. They just manufacture them I believe.

Reaper
08-20-2015, 11:02 PM
The NCAA jerseys are still designed by each institution. They just manufacture them I believe.
Does Adidas now own Zubaz or what?

TX_Flame
08-21-2015, 04:10 AM

http://www.globalresearch.ca/wp-content/uploads/2014/05/hitlergeorge-400x255.jpg

Back on track it's "hockey sweater" not jersey. Jersey is a cow or something synthetic from New Jersey.

But I can see you all rolling over with the sweater ads as easily as we gave up our name for our sweater.

http://www.thepeterboroughexaminer.com/2009/09/19/hockey-players-wear-sweaters-not-jerseys

Oh yeah it's defence not defense as well.
... and it's zed, not zee and Canada is the second largest land mass, the first nation of hockey and the BEST PART OF NORTH AMERICA!!!!

TX_Flame
08-21-2015, 04:17 AM
No, it's one of many similar things Edward said. It's why the Brits shuffled him off to be Governor General of the Bahamas. Sort of an unofficial exile in a place where he had very little influence on world affairs in general and the war in particular.

Shall we start a Nazi sympathizers off topic thread?

TX_Flame
08-21-2015, 04:22 AM

4 degrees of Napoleone Buonaparte.

Locke
08-21-2015, 07:40 AM

Tenuous but accurate. I like it.

bc-chris
08-28-2015, 10:02 AM
i was talking to an adidas sales rep guy yesterday and we chatted a bit about adidas getting the contract for the nhl jerseys

this was his take.....

thinks the jerseys will look awesome after seeing what they did with nfl jerseys (i don't watch nlf so i don't know if this is a good thing or a bag thing. i do know the seahawks now use neon green - ummm yea... you're not gonna sell me on that one ever! ha!)

has watched what adidas has been doing with sublimated jerseys and has seen some awesome looking stuff (currently this would be for minor hockey, beer leagues, etc)

now with the above being said, he doesn't think there will be huge crazy changes to nhl jerseys (the habs won't be going neon any time soon)

also does NOT think advertising on jerseys will be a go - just waaay too much opposition to it

i guess we'll now next year if he was right

i can tell you this - we just worked on a set of adidas jerseys - they were full sublimated jerseys except for the front logo - they wanted the traditional twill/embroidered front (so that's why we got them). they looked ok. the one thing i did notice is that the sleeve numbers were really high up on the arms - similar to the current team canada jerseys where the numbers are right up by the shoulder.

heep223
08-28-2015, 10:04 AM
What does sublimated mean?

bc-chris
08-28-2015, 10:09 AM
coles notes on sublimation...

Dye Sublimation, as a process is really very simple. It is the method of applying an image to specially coated ceramics, metals and polyester cloth, using three main ingredients: sublimation ink, heat and pressure.
Sublimation ink is unique in its ability to convert from a solid to a gas without going through a liquid form. (Just like dry ice.) The conversion is initiated by heat and controlled with pressure and time. Hard items such as ceramic, fiber board, metals, etc. requires a special coating to accept the sublimation inks.

7u9LG_bqeTE

polak
08-28-2015, 10:32 AM
Lame. I like the proper cresting and stitching.

squiggs96
08-28-2015, 11:01 AM
i was talking to an adidas sales rep guy yesterday and we chatted a bit about adidas getting the contract for the nhl jerseys

this was his take.....

thinks the jerseys will look awesome after seeing what they did with nfl jerseys (i don't watch nlf so i don't know if this is a good thing or a bag thing. i do know the seahawks now use neon green - ummm yea... you're not gonna sell me on that one ever! ha!)

has watched what adidas has been doing with sublimated jerseys and has seen some awesome looking stuff (currently this would be for minor hockey, beer leagues, etc)

now with the above being said, he doesn't think there will be huge crazy changes to nhl jerseys (the habs won't be going neon any time soon)

What did Adidas have to do with NFL jerseys? Nike makes the current version, and has since 2012. They have the exclusive contract for all on-field apparel. During the previous 10 years the NFL was outfitted by Reebok. Before Reebok took over the jerseys were made by Starter. I'm not sure Adidas ever has made an NFL jersey. I understand that Adidas owns Reebok, but they aren't the same company.

We get it. You don't like green because the canucks wear them. Most of us also hate the canucks. Seattle going to neon green wasn't that big of a stretch, since they had green in their uniforms before. That wasn't a "huge, crazy change". They have their dark blue jersey, with some green accents, as they have had since their inception. They have worn a 3rd jersey (similar concept to an NHL team's 3rd jersey) that was neon green. Green is still one of their colours.

The Canadiens wouldn't go to neon green because that's not one of their colours. This doesn't include the Montreal Shamrocks, or St. Patrick's Day themed jerseys. The Canadiens will always be in bleu, blanc et rouge.

Split98
08-28-2015, 11:19 AM
What did Adidas have to do with NFL jerseys? Nike makes the current version, and has since 2012. They have the exclusive contract for all on-field apparel. During the previous 10 years the NFL was outfitted by Reebok. Before Reebok took over the jerseys were made by Starter. I'm not sure Adidas ever has made an NFL jersey. I understand that Adidas owns Reebok, but they aren't the same company.

We get it. You don't like green because the canucks wear them. Most of us also hate the canucks. Seattle going to neon green wasn't that big of a stretch, since they had green in their uniforms before. That wasn't a "huge, crazy change". They have their dark blue jersey, with some green accents, as they have had since their inception. They have worn a 3rd jersey (similar concept to an NHL team's 3rd jersey) that was neon green. Green is still one of their colours.

The Canadiens wouldn't go to neon green because that's not one of their colours. This doesn't include the Montreal Shamrocks, or St. Patrick's Day themed jerseys. The Canadiens will always be in bleu, blanc et rouge.

I assumed they were talking about NCAA jerseys, and the poster interpreted 'football uniforms' as 'NFL uniforms'.

But Adidas does have some NCAA uniforms... and I'm assuming sublimation allows for super-duper patterns like this:

http://uniformcritics.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/08/2013-Tennessee-Vols-Adidas-TechFit-New-Gray-Uniform-675x380.jpg

Oy...

Neat looking, for sure. But hope that is only used for all-star games. I hate to think of what fire and flame ideas Adidas would come up with if they green-lit sublimating on our jerseys.

bc-chris
08-28-2015, 11:34 AM

i'm sure the guy said nfl - like Split98 said - he must have meant ncaa

i don't mind green at all - i'm just not a fan of neon green, especially on a pro sports team uniform (sorta like how i think it's odd to use glow in the dark paint on a goalie mask). as i mentioned in my post - i don't watch nfl. i've seen the seahawks jerseys with the neon green numbers and think they look gross - just my personal opinion. green is one of their colours - that's fine, just stay clear of neon ;)

i never said that the habs would use neon green - i said the habs won't be going neon any time soon. neon comes in a variety of colours

Tyler
08-28-2015, 11:35 AM
I'm actually looking forward to an evolution in NHL jersey's. Sure die-hard's and traditionalists may not like it, but innovating is important to keeping the NHL's brand relevant and appealing to new fans.

Hope they come up with some great new and exciting concepts

jayswin
08-28-2015, 01:03 PM
This is the first time I've ever seen anyone be rude to BC-Chris, it kind of threw me off, haha. He's like the nicest guy in the world, how did this happen?

Komskies
08-28-2015, 02:32 PM
This is the first time I've ever seen anyone be rude to BC-Chris, it kind of threw me off, haha. He's like the nicest guy in the world, how did this happen?

Not only that but he is a bastion of red, deep behind enemy lines.

bc-chris
08-28-2015, 05:13 PM

meh... maybe squiggs is having a rough day - no harm, no foul :D

hockey.modern
08-28-2015, 07:01 PM
Here are some mock-ups of jerseys with ads

source: http://imgur.com/a/a0k5G, http://imgur.com/a/Qzn2Z

http://i.imgur.com/vTB85pG.png

http://i.imgur.com/DFAIYUM.png

http://i.imgur.com/zv1TKkL.png

http://i.imgur.com/sTaVzjn.png

Split98
08-28-2015, 09:37 PM
I was never a fan, but I was in the camp of 'if they leave it 1 colour it'll be tolerable'.

I think my mind is changing. Every picture made me sad.

N-E-B
08-28-2015, 11:08 PM
Jersey ads cheapen the league and give it less credibility from an outsiders perspective IMO. They look tacky and fans hate it.

driveway
08-28-2015, 11:28 PM
It's gonna happen and it will look a heck of a lot like those mock-ups. I bet we'll see exactly that around the league in 5 years. It will also happen in the NBA in that time-frame.

It'll be kinda like the Alberta flag on the jersey. Some people will kinda like it in concept, most people won't really like it. You'll stop noticing it for a while and then every now and then you'll see an image, or it will jump out at you and you'll be like "God-damn that sucks."

And life will go on, and some old curmudgeonly people will stop buying jerseys out of protest, but most people won't, and in 20 years we'll have become accustomed to it.

doctajones428
08-29-2015, 01:59 AM
Though I would rather have no ads, that doesn't look too bad at all.

They better keep them off the fan jerseys

EldrickOnIce
08-29-2015, 08:03 AM

Exactly.
Finally definitively differentiate my game worns from those off the rack cheapos
:whistle:

CroFlames
08-31-2015, 02:43 PM

If firms are paying millions to have their logo on a hockey sweater, you can bet your ass they'll be on the replicas you and me buy off the store shelf.

DownhillGoat
08-31-2015, 03:10 PM
If firms are paying millions to have their logo on a hockey sweater, you can bet your ass they'll be on the replicas you and me buy off the store shelf.
They're not on CFL jerseys.

SuperMatt18
08-31-2015, 03:17 PM

They are on the soccer jerseys though.

Really could go either way, and likely depends on the contract and Adidas may have a say in it as well.

If you are the team buying the advertising though you probably want your name on the jersey.

DownhillGoat
08-31-2015, 03:24 PM
Really could go either way
Which is kind of what I was getting at. I'd say it's far from a guarantee that they will or won't be on the replica jerseys.

jayswin
08-31-2015, 03:42 PM
They are on the soccer jerseys though.

Really could go either way, and likely depends on the contract and Adidas may have a say in it as well.

If you are the team buying the advertising though you probably want your name on the jersey.

Yeah, but wouldn't most soccer jerseys pretty much be blank if they didn't have advertisements?

Hockey Fan #751
08-31-2015, 03:53 PM
This is a league where you can't even have rinkboard ads with coloured backgrounds. I'm sure if they added jersey ads they would be one colour and not intrusive at all.

SuperMatt18
08-31-2015, 04:05 PM
Yeah, but wouldn't most soccer jerseys pretty much be blank if they didn't have advertisements?

International soccer jerseys have no ads so it isn't out of the question to have a jersey with the chest open.

Sometimes they will add the player number to the chest to make it less bare.

Also it's not like soccer jerseys always had sponsors, it only really became mainstream in the 80's. I'm sure all those soccer fans said they would never buy a jersey with a sponsor on it either, and that didn't seem to impact the sales of soccer jerseys.

White Out 403
08-31-2015, 04:06 PM
as long as we dont get the manchester chevrolets... i dont care

DJones
08-31-2015, 04:12 PM
If it was just that one tone scotiabank symbol of that size. I wouldn't mind it. As long as Calgary can afford to pay to the cap anything to crank it up is great.

Split98
09-01-2015, 07:41 AM
This is a league where you can't even have rinkboard ads with coloured backgrounds. I'm sure if they added jersey ads they would be one colour and not intrusive at all.

Actually had to look this up. I was thinking, 'no way. Pizza Pizza and Tim Hortons are FULL colour.' That's jut OHL. In hind site, I completely appreciate they do this. And for all the years we've had the rink board ads them staying firm does show SOME hope.

Those lit up boards do throw a wrench in my optimism though...

speede5
09-01-2015, 08:41 AM

CFL doesn't sell authentic jerseys, and their replica jerseys are pretty cheap when you put them against a game jersey.

Not sure why that is, maybe the market wasn't there for so many years and they just haven't examined the potential that is now there for authentic jerseys.

NHL seems to cater more to the collector, and authentic is big money, so I think you might see the ads cross over.

I don't like it, they broke my back when they put the ads on the goal posts. I'm surprised the players union didn't speak up on that, as I feel it makes the posts harder to see. At what point have they made enough money though. Geez.

CroFlames
09-01-2015, 10:19 AM
It's my hope they never do ads on jerseys.

It's my belief that they will.

And it sucks.

sec304
09-01-2015, 10:38 AM
Again, can we get the thread title changed hockey.modern?

"Adidas has won a long-term deal to make uniforms for the 30 NHL teams, beginning in the 2017-18 season"

Reaper
09-01-2015, 10:45 AM
I don't like it, they broke my back when they put the ads on the goal posts. I'm surprised the players union didn't speak up on that, as I feel it makes the posts harder to see. At what point have they made enough money though. Geez.Maybe I'm blind but the NHL doesn't have ads on goals used in gameplay.

DownhillGoat
09-01-2015, 10:49 AM
Maybe I'm blind but the NHL doesn't have ads on goals used in gameplay.
I assumed he was talking football, given the term "goal posts".

Split98
09-01-2015, 10:51 AM
I assumed he was talking football, given the term "goal posts".

I do too, but 'goal post' is a hockey reference as well...

05amMbYai9Y

Mattman
09-01-2015, 04:47 PM
So realistically does this mean all 30 teams are getting new jersey designs, of course apart from teams like Montreal, Detroit, Toronto..

But with that being said can teams request that their design stays the same?

Or the other way around with Adidas will only be re-designing if teams ask?

hockey.modern
09-01-2015, 05:04 PM
Again, can we get the thread title changed hockey.modern?

"Adidas has won a long-term deal to make uniforms for the 30 NHL teams, beginning in the 2017-18 season"

Will do when I get on a computer.

Split98
09-02-2015, 06:55 AM
So realistically does this mean all 30 teams are getting new jersey designs, of course apart from teams like Montreal, Detroit, Toronto..

But with that being said can teams request that their design stays the same?

Or the other way around with Adidas will only be re-designing if teams ask?

Considering Adidas owns Reebok, I think the change will be a logo swap for the bulk of teams.

They will want to promote their new deal, so a few teams will be encouraged to make the change but I can't see anything mandatory being rolled out like when Reebok took over. As much as teams like Montreal stayed relatively the same there was a re-design. As with Detroit (had to swap the captaincy to the other side with the new design) and the Maple Leafs even had a new (horrible) style.

But this time around they will be relatively the same jerseys and Adidas (or hopefully CCM) will roll out a few new templates for teams to work with.

I would imagine that teams still on the original Reebok re-design like Calgary, Ottawa, Pittsburgh and Colorado will be among the teams heavily encouraged to jump. Maybe they even discontinue certain cuts forcing those teams to switch is about as much mandatory re-designs I could see them pushing out.

Envitro
04-15-2016, 11:50 AM
Slight update to this thread, and the conversation regarding NHL jerseys and Sponsor logos being included in the jersey.

Looks like the NBA confirmed that they will be allowing sponsor Logos on NBA game jerseys in 2017-2018. I'm sure the NHL's announcement of the same is not far behind.

http://www.ctvnews.ca/sports/nba-to-sell-jersey-sponsorships-in-2017-18-1.2860827

Coach
04-15-2016, 11:54 AM
F***

CroFlames
04-15-2016, 11:58 AM
Yeah it's lame. I wish I didn't come down to this, but it was inevitable.

How can you turn down free money

Street Pharmacist
04-15-2016, 11:59 AM
5 years after its allowed no one will care.

Coach
04-15-2016, 12:07 PM

Depends IMO. If its a small shoulder patch or patch along the bottom/back, I think people won't really care. If it's taking the place of the logo (ala soccer), you might have a violent uprising.

PepsiFree
04-15-2016, 12:11 PM
Depends IMO. If its a small shoulder patch or patch along the bottom/back, I think people won't really care. If it's taking the place of the logo (ala soccer), you might have a violent uprising.

That would pretty much never happen on the turn of a dime though.

If that happens, we'll have had so many sponsor logos on jerseys for so long that I doubt people will really care anymore (and I would bet money the first "Sponsor Logo Primary" jersey is a third jersey to test the waters).

Traditionalists just get bent out of shape over everything. When they lose one battle, they keep watching and move onto another one. Nobody will stop watching hockey because the team logo shrunk. Hockey is hockey despite the jersey design.

RM14
04-15-2016, 12:12 PM

And then 5 years after that there will be more than 1 ad on jerseys. 10 years after that, helmets and pants. $$$$$ NHL should draw the line here. There really is no need for more revenue right now.

HarryH93
04-15-2016, 12:13 PM
And then 5 years after that there will be more than 1 ad on jerseys. 10 years after that, helmets and pants. $$$$$ NHL should draw the line here. There really is no need for more revenue right now.

No need for more revenue? On what planet?

Bingo
04-15-2016, 12:14 PM
I don't like the idea but this hasn't really bothered me ...

http://storage.calgarysun.com/v1/dynamic_resize/sws_path/suns-prod-images/1311885159103_ORIGINAL.jpg?quality=80&size=650x

PepsiFree
There really is no need for more revenue right now.

Said no good business ever.

ClubFlames

From a business point of view (which NHL is in the end), that's the stupidest thing any Board of Directors will say.

RM14
No need for more revenue? On what planet?

A good one

Cecil Terwilliger
04-15-2016, 12:17 PM
The real question is how long until the consumer jerseys have ads too. CFL jerseys sold to public don't have them but soccer jerseys do.

Will authentics have ads and replicas not?

HarryH93
04-15-2016, 12:17 PM
A good one

Yeah, maybe the world would be a better place without greed. But the NHL is a business and there's no way they will ever be so content with revenues that they will decline deals. As fans we just have to suck it up and keep enjoying hockey.

Cecil Terwilliger
04-15-2016, 12:19 PM
Said no good business ever.

Then why doesn't the NFL have ads?

Street Pharmacist
04-15-2016, 12:19 PM
If it starts becoming a problem they'll dial it back. I guarantee you if this was "they're going to start putting ads on the boards" the opinions would be the same

PepsiFree
04-15-2016, 12:21 PM

It's certainly not because the NFL decided they didn't need any more revenue, period.

Cecil Terwilliger
04-15-2016, 12:23 PM
Yeah, maybe the world would be a better place without greed. But the NHL is a business and there's no way they will ever be so content with revenues that they will decline deals. As fans we just have to suck it up and keep enjoying hockey.

This is too simplistic an explanation. I'm sure they could sell naming rights and be called the Calgary Flaming Whoppers and put a big burger on the jersey and get more revenue but it wouldn't be popular.

Consumer satisfaction plays a big part of corporate image and revenues. If people don't like the product, the companies won't do it.

The reason the nba are doing ads is that they are 2.5 x 2.5 inches and going on the shoulder. They know the public won't flip out over something so tiny.

Coach
04-15-2016, 12:24 PM
It's certainly not because the NFL decided they didn't need any more revenue, period.

But ads would certainly add more revenue, so what else is there?

RM14
04-15-2016, 12:25 PM
If it starts becoming a problem they'll dial it back. I guarantee you if this was "they're going to start putting ads on the boards" the opinions would be the same

It's a gradual cheapening of the brand. Fairly petty if that's what they need to do to raise revenues. They should be happy with the amazing growth in every other area of the business.

Ya, I'll watch but it's wrong. There should be certain things off limits. Hopefully the revenue doesn't justify the idea and the idea fails like the world cup jersey ad pitch.

Cecil Terwilliger
04-15-2016, 12:25 PM

Huh? who said anything about never needing revenue again?

HarryH93
04-15-2016, 12:28 PM
This is too simplistic an explanation. I'm sure they could sell naming rights and be called the Calgary Flaming Whoppers and put a big burger on the jersey and get more revenue but it wouldn't be popular.

Consumer satisfaction plays a big part of corporate image and revenues. If people don't like the product, the companies won't do it.

The reason the nba are doing ads is that they are 2.5 x 2.5 inches and going on the shoulder. They know the public won't flip out over something so tiny.

That's true, I wasn't assuming that if Burger King said "hey, here's 5 million bucks, change the teams name to the Whopper Kings" the NHL would agree. Any big changes like that could cause problems.

But I think they've been considering this for a long time, and they know that they have to be careful when implementing such change. I doubt the advertisements would be significant (i.e. it won't be a massive logo in place of the team crest). My guess is it will be similar to what the NBA is doing.

RM14
04-15-2016, 12:33 PM
I doubt the advertisements would be significant (i.e. it won't be a massive logo in place of the team crest). My guess is it will be similar to what the NBA is doing.

It will be just like the AHL. Stockton rocks an energy drink ad. Almost looks like a team anniversary patch.

http://stocktonheat.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/10/kanzig-pro-debut.jpg

Coach
04-15-2016, 12:34 PM
^^ wouldn't looks so bad if the Flames org. didn't insist on having off-color state/country flags on the shoulders of all their jersies.

PepsiFree
04-15-2016, 12:35 PM
But ads would certainly add more revenue, so what else is there?

You can't think of a reason besides "we don't need more revenue" to not have ads on jerseys? Even though you proposed a reason yourself about 15 posts back? Huh?

Huh? who said anything about never needing revenue again?

The problem with the statement was "They don't need more revenue right now" not "They should look at different ways of obtaining revenue right now." It was semantics and I was just being catty.

RM14
04-15-2016, 12:37 PM
You can't think of a reason besides "we don't need more revenue" to not have ads on jerseys? Even though you proposed a reason yourself about 15 posts back? Huh?

The problem with the statement was "They don't need more revenue right now" not "They should look at different ways of obtaining revenue right now." It was semantics and I was just being catty.

It's a want, not a need. The NHL isn't some small league needed every penny possible.

PepsiFree
04-15-2016, 12:39 PM
It's a want, not a need. The NHL isn't some small league needed every penny possible.

Every dollar of revenue a business has is a need if it intends to grow.

The NHL might as well be some small league compared to the actual big ones.

The Yen Man
04-15-2016, 12:39 PM
So this might be a dumb question, but those ads are just patches right? Would you be able to get a replica jersey that doesn't have the ad patches, or do they all usually come with it? What if the sponsor changes from year to year?

Coach
04-15-2016, 12:42 PM

Oh I can think of plenty of reasons, but you seem pretty entrenched in the idea that any and all revenue must be captured if a business is to grow. So how come the NFL isn't?

HarryH93
04-15-2016, 01:00 PM
It will be just like the AHL. Stockton rocks an energy drink ad. Almost looks like a team anniversary patch.

http://stocktonheat.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/10/kanzig-pro-debut.jpg

I wouldn't mind replacing the horrendous Canada/Alberta flag combo on the shoulders for advertisements instead. I mean, can they get any uglier than blue on one shoulder, and red and white on the other?

RM14
04-15-2016, 01:03 PM
I wouldn't mind replacing the horrendous Canada/Alberta flag combo on the shoulders for advertisements instead. I mean, can they get any uglier than blue on one shoulder, and red and white on the other?

They are both terrible options. But, I would much prefer our provincial and nations flag over a corporate logo.

craigwd
04-15-2016, 01:06 PM

It's a piece of cloth designed to differentiate one team from another.
I don't care either way right now. :cool:

sun
04-15-2016, 01:31 PM
I'll be disappointed when this finally happens. Hate jersey ads.

Don't know if consumer versions will have ads on them, but if they do, I can say with 100% certainty that I will never buy one.

sureLoss
04-15-2016, 01:33 PM
MLSE is reportedly asking for $5 million per season for advertisements on Raptors jerseys.

It is going to happen soon for the NHL.

Ashasx
04-15-2016, 01:35 PM
I thought somebody in the NHL said a few months ago that they will never have ads on jerseys.

PepsiFree
04-15-2016, 01:37 PM
I thought somebody in the NHL said a few months ago that they will never have ads on jerseys.

Bettman said they had no immediate plans but were discussing it (back in September).

Ashasx
04-15-2016, 01:39 PM
Bettman said they had no immediate plans but were discussing it (back in September).

yes, but I thought, maybe around January, somebody from the league came out and said it will never happen in the NHL.

Maybe I'm completely imagining things.

lazypucker
MLSE is reportedly asking for $5 million per season for advertisements on Raptors jerseys.

It is going to happen soon for the NHL.

If I am a company paying $5million for advertisements on jerseys, my logo better be on ALL replica merchandise so everyone wearing them on the streets will bear my logo.

djsFlames

Amen.

Playfair
04-15-2016, 01:57 PM
https://cdn3.vox-cdn.com/thumbor/DzcflmsS67ezwIVpYfsPIPpG5O0=/cdn0.vox-cdn.com/uploads/chorus_asset/file/3978914/subban_uni.0.jpghttp://cdn1.bloguin.com/wp-content/uploads/sites/194/2016/02/20480790378_d7298fbf28-500x356.jpg

Lubicon
04-15-2016, 02:31 PM
https://cdn3.vox-cdn.com/thumbor/DzcflmsS67ezwIVpYfsPIPpG5O0=/cdn0.vox-cdn.com/uploads/chorus_asset/file/3978914/subban_uni.0.jpghttp://cdn1.bloguin.com/wp-content/uploads/sites/194/2016/02/20480790378_d7298fbf28-500x356.jpg

Good point.

I'm fine with ads on jerseys as long as they are not overwhelming.

calgaryred
04-15-2016, 02:44 PM

NFL teams do have an ad on their practice jerseys

Cecil Terwilliger
04-15-2016, 02:47 PM
NFL teams do have an ad on their practice jerseys

Ok? I don't see why that's relevant to the current discussion. No one really cares about practice jerseys.

polak
04-15-2016, 03:02 PM
Haha it's so cute that you guys still think you'll stop buying merchandise if they put ads on it.

Either way, it's more likely that they won't put the ads on replica jerseys anyways.

sun
04-15-2016, 03:18 PM
Haha it's so cute that you guys still think you'll stop buying merchandise if they put ads on it.

Either way, it's more likely that they won't put the ads on replica jerseys anyways.
It's cute that you think it's cute.

mikephoen
04-15-2016, 03:18 PM
Ok? I don't see why that's relevant to the current discussion. No one really cares about practice jerseys.

I'd be willing to bet that the NFL is waiting for the lesser North American leagues to establish precedent and to establish the market. Then once people have acclimatized to it, the NFL can offer up the premier advertising of NFL jerseys at a suitably inflated price. This way they avoid risk to their brand, and also maximize future profits.

Reaper
04-15-2016, 03:26 PM
The real question is how long until the consumer jerseys have ads too. CFL jerseys sold to public don't have them but soccer jerseys do.

Will authentics have ads and replicas not?I can see a secondary market for replica advertiser patches.

Huntingwhale
04-15-2016, 03:28 PM
I hope any company that puts ads on hockey jerseys go bankrupt.

RM14
04-15-2016, 03:30 PM
Probably just the Game worn jerseys. Just like the Stamps.

DownhillGoat
04-15-2016, 03:37 PM
It's asinine that you still think you can speak for every Flames fan on this board, and be so sure of what will stop them from spending their dollars.

I've got over 20 Flames jerseys sitting in my closet right now, I think those will last for the rest of my days cheering for this team. I can say with a fairly high degree of certainty that if soccer-style ads are on replica jerseys, I've bought my last one. I'm tired of seeing ads splashed absolutely everywhere they can find space to squeeze out another dollar. When the tv ads on the glass came about, I found myself watching more and more highlights, going to more games live, and watching less on TV because they're distracting as fata.

People have directed their dollars away from companies for much pettier reasons.

lazypucker
04-15-2016, 03:40 PM
I remember there was an uproar years ago here on CP about the current home jersey having the Alberta patch on, and a number of people swear that they would never buy another Flames jersey again. I wonder how many of those promises hold true today?

By the way, don't you guys know that we are all wearing jerseys on the streets helping the Calgary Flames, the NHL, Reebok, and your favourite players advertise for free all the time? No, actually we pay for the privilege to be walking billboards for them!!! Think about that.

polak
04-15-2016, 03:41 PM
It's asinine that you still think you can speak for every Flames fan on this board, and be so sure of what will stop them from spending their dollars.

I'm not getting into this again, but you all will. Everyone is all talk until the only way to get the jersey the Flames win the cup in is with ads on it.

I remember there was an uproar years ago here on CP about the current home jersey having the Alberta patch on, and a number of people swear that they would never buy another Flames jersey again. I wonder how many of those promises hold true today?

By the way, don't you guys know that we are all wearing jerseys on the streets helping the Calgary Flames, the NHL, Reebok, and your favourite players advertise for free all the time? No, actually we pay for the privilege to be walking billboards for them!!! Think about that.

People love to be outraged about change before it happens but then they realize it really makes no difference and they're not buying their favorite teams jersey due to it's content but what it means to them. That's why I am convinced, 100% that every single person on here that "SWEARS" they'll never buy a jersey with an ad on it is just lying to themselves.

DownhillGoat
04-15-2016, 03:49 PM
every single person on here that "SWEARS" they'll never buy a jersey with an ad on it is just lying to themselves.
Well feel free to bookmark my post and follow up in 20 years.

btimbit
04-15-2016, 03:54 PM
I hate the idea but I'd probably over it. Hopefully it's no more intrusive than on aCFL jersey

Swayze11
04-15-2016, 04:11 PM
I am still terrified of this. Adidas has some absolutely awful designs.

https://cdn1.vox-cdn.com/thumbor/SDbrbeIDaleLFCrjRfveMhAadj4=/800x0/filters:no_upscale()/cdn0.vox-cdn.com/uploads/chorus_asset/file/3901366/UNIFORMS.0.jpg

sun
04-15-2016, 04:20 PM
I'm not getting into this again, but you all will. Everyone is all talk until the only way to get the jersey the Flames win the cup in is with ads on it.

People love to be outraged about change before it happens but then they realize it really makes no difference and they're not buying their favorite teams jersey due to it's content but what it means to them. That's why I am convinced, 100% that every single person on here that "SWEARS" they'll never buy a jersey with an ad on it is just lying to themselves.

Are you so simple minded that you can't accept that people have different principles, values, opinions than you? What a strange way to live one's life. You will buy whatever schlock the NHL/Flames will pump out, therefore you think 100% of everyone everywhere will do the same? Interesting insight into the world of polak.

I will never buy a jersey with ads on it. Period. Just like I will never buy one of those abominable thirds. I have 4 decades worth of jerseys to pick from. Why would I wear something that I find repulsive?

heep223
04-15-2016, 04:35 PM
Are you so simple minded that you can't accept that people have different principles, values, opinions than you? What a strange way to live one's life. You will buy whatever schlock the NHL/Flames will pump out, therefore you think 100% of everyone everywhere will do the same? Interesting insight into the world of polak.

I will never buy a jersey with ads on it. Period. Just like I will never buy one of those abominable thirds. I have 4 decades worth of jerseys to pick from. Why would I wear something that I find repulsive?

How do you know you'll find them repulsive?

sun
04-15-2016, 04:45 PM

That's how I feel about advertisements.

I choose to show my allegiance to the Calgary Flames, so I put their logo on my chest. Adidas/Reebok/CCM makes that jersey, so their logo is a (usually discreet) necessary evil. Scotiabank, Bell, TD, Rogers, Tim Hortons, Rona, etc is where I would draw the line.

Resolute 14
04-15-2016, 04:48 PM

One of the most arrogant posters in Calgarypuck history being at his most arrogant. Predictable.

However, despite both your and Street Pharmacist's efforts to speak on behalf of everyone else, I stand by my original comments. I will not buy a jersey with paid advertising on it. Ever.

Joborule
04-15-2016, 04:54 PM
Which is fine, but I would assume a fairly low percentage, about ~5% (and I think that's very gracious) would actually boycott buying a NHL jersey because there's a sponsor's logo on it; despite it looking exactly the same as the one on the ice.

But as with the CFL, just because they have the ads on the on field jerseys, doesn't mean they will have them on the consumer versions. That's still pending. Personally, I think it would be better if they kept it off, but I wouldn't be upset if they were on.

Soccer is doing just fine with selling their jerseys despite the ads being more prevalent on the jersey than the team crest itself.

polak
04-15-2016, 06:12 PM
lol here we go again.

yes yes, "stick it to the man", "Im not a billboard" whatever.

If the NHL puts ads on all replica jerseys and the Flames win the cup or draft a generational talent you'll change your tune eventually because eventually just like with every change ever made to trivial nonsense, people will get over it, even forget about it and continue doing what they did before.

And this is nothing like skipping out on a jersey cause you dont like the style by the way. This is never buying a new hockey jersey ever again. Ever. Good luck.

AcGold
04-15-2016, 06:52 PM
^wrong, BS argument. You can't just tell people their perspective is untrue. Screw wearing any jersey with ads ever. Nothing will change that, a multiple cup winning dynasty I don't care. I'd wager any amount of money that I will never change, ever, 0% chance you are right.

Because paying for a product that makes the owner of the product look worse while generating the corporation income is repulsive. 0% chance I'd ever wear a jersey with ads even if it was free, not going to give Adidas free advertising when the intent was to support the Flames.

How would you feel if every pair of Adidas shoes you bought came with a burger King logo? They aren't degrading me to get free advertising, screw that. Felt the same way my entire life.

RM14
04-15-2016, 06:58 PM
I'm not even saying I won't buy one. I just think it's petty to pimp out every little bit. Grow the in business in other areas. Throwing ads on a jersey is pure lazy.

I don't care if soccer does it. Should the flames remove seats in the lower bowl and stick some cars in the corners if it earns more revenue than paying fans? Because hey! Bottom line by any means necessary!!

Cecil Terwilliger
04-15-2016, 07:45 PM
I can't speak for anyone else but there are soccer jerseys that I refuse to buy because I don't like the sponsor. And I don't mean in principle because I don't care that much. I mean I don't wanna walk around with a giant Chevrolet logo on my chest type scenario.

FurnaceFace
04-15-2016, 09:05 PM

I'll put my hand up. I don't have one because I don't like how the Alberta flag stands out (a maple leaf and the crest I might have been okay with.) I'm content wearing my old style Regehr, Kipper, Yelle, Gio Dynamo Moscow jerseys or wearing a team Canada jersey until the new design where I hope the patches are gone. if they were the shoulder patches from the 3rd jersey I'd be content.

DownhillGoat
04-15-2016, 10:21 PM
yes yes, "stick it to the man", "Im not a billboard" whatever. ...
And this is nothing like skipping out on a jersey cause you dont like the style by the way. This is never buying a new hockey jersey ever again. Ever. Good luck.
Are you actually this obtuse in real life or is it just internet Polak?

I'm not suggesting I'm sticking it to anyone, or have a problem being a billboard.

I'm currently wearing a t-shirt with a massive arcteryx logo, and a hoodie with a bigger black diamond logo. I have no problem being a walking billboard, nor do I have a problem supporting companies who's product I like.

GMC? Yup, like their trucks. Have no issue with the badge on the back. Stampede GMC? No, not such a huge fan, so I removed the dealership crest.

I have no issue with wearing a jersey with a small reebok logo (since they make the jersey), a small NHL crest (since the Flames play in the NHL), and a big flaming C. But I despise Tim Hortons. So let's say for this example, we go full soccer, and there's a massive Tim Hortons logo on it, and at the bottom a very tiny flaming C.

I have no desire to be a walking billboard for a company I despise to barely show support for the hockey team I love.

And yes, it's exactly like skipping out on a jersey because I don't like the style. Good luck? Good luck on what? Not buying material good that is by no means necessary to my day to day life, or enjoyment of watching my team? Good luck not spending $130 on something I don't like when I have every other iteration that I do like? I'm not entirely sure what luck has to do with it, and I'm not entirely sure how you can stake such a claim on what others will do.

calgaryblood
04-15-2016, 11:21 PM
I would never buy a jersey with ads on it. I've never bought a Flames jersey I've thought was ugly why would I start now?

Please don't speak for people you know nothing about.

Caged Great
04-15-2016, 11:45 PM
I love soccer. I have only ever bought jerseys of national teams. Why? no ads. I would never buy a jersey with ads even though I could have easily done so with one of the EPL teams I support.

If the NHL goes that route, that's great for them. They simply won't get another dime from me buying their merchandise.

4X4
04-16-2016, 12:22 AM
Premier league jerseys are horrible. Tiny little breast logo, and a giant VODAFONE across the belly? I can tell you that that wouldn't sell in Canada. At least, not until a full generation of new fans had grown up with that as their reality.
NFL jerseys are different. The helmet is where their identifying colours are, so even if they allowed sponsor logos on jerseys, it wouldn't be as repugnant.

This is nothing like ads on the boards (remember clean, white boards?), and nothing like holographic PIZZA 73 hovering above the fans in the first row. Turning the NHL jersey into anything resembling a European any-sport jersey would probably cost teams more money in lost sales than they got from the sponsorship money.

sun
04-16-2016, 12:36 AM
lol here we go again.

yes yes, "stick it to the man", "Im not a billboard" whatever.

If the NHL puts ads on all replica jerseys and the Flames win the cup or draft a generational talent you'll change your tune eventually because eventually just like with every change ever made to trivial nonsense, people will get over it, even forget about it and continue doing what they did before.

I don't usually read your posts, are they all this dumb?

polak
04-16-2016, 02:30 AM
lol look how defensive some of you get about this issue. Im simply calling bs. I think that most of you will give in. Stop taking it so personally.

Addick
04-16-2016, 09:54 AM
People have directed their dollars away from companies for much pettier reasons.

While I won't question your resolution, sports teams are not your average company and a large amount of their customers are captive. It takes more for someone to boycott their beloved Flames/Raptors/Seahawks than TELUS/Walmart/Wendy's. Additionally, success will bring new fans and time will change the tide of opinion (i.e. father may not buy a jersey with a sponsor but his daughter may consider it normal).

Itse
04-16-2016, 10:01 AM
It seems to me that soccer club jerseys are not actually a very common sight in Europe, at least relative to the popularity of the sport. In comparison national team jerseys are quite popular.

National team jerseys generally don't have ads in them.

So yeah, a simple eyeball test seems to suggest that people are more likely to buy jerseys without ads.

DownhillGoat
04-16-2016, 10:31 AM
It takes more for someone to boycott their beloved Flames/Raptors/Seahawks than TELUS/Walmart/Wendy's.
Granted, but I also never said boycotting the team. If it goes that route I'll still buy hats, hoodies, whatever.

Just not the jersey.

OffsideSpecialist
04-16-2016, 10:45 AM
I haven't even bought any of the current jerseys because they're ugly. I have the black jersey, 2004 reds and current retros. If I don't find new jerseys to be an improvement over the ones I already have I don't see the purpose of getting them.

sun
04-16-2016, 11:19 AM
lol look how defensive some of you get about this issue. Im simply calling bs. I think that most of you will give in. Stop taking it so personally.

You didn't say you "think most" would give in. You guaranteed all would "give in", which is total bull plop.

Why would I feel compelled to buy another jersey if the team wins a cup? The vintage one I wear now works just fine and will work until the team moves to Albuquerque. Since, you know, it's not ugly. In fact, it looks better than any jersey the team has had since 1994.

PepsiFree
04-16-2016, 03:07 PM
I see what Polak is saying, and I see why he's saying it (even though he is wrong).

He's only wrong because normally when someone says they're boycotting something, they are an active buyer/user of that something. Which is what he assumed.

I don't think it's worth mentioning that you'll never buy another jersey if they put ads on it when you haven't even purchased a jersey in 10+ years. I don't think the $130 the NHL got from you in 2003 is factoring into decisions when considering the customer base. It is, in fact, super easy to not buy a jersey with ads on it if you don't buy jerseys anyway.

I get the sentiment though.

rage2
04-16-2016, 03:44 PM
I buy a new jersey every year. I also buy F1 "jerseys" yearly plastered with advertising and always gets asked wtf is Vodafone over the years. I actually support the sponsors who support my teams, as they are the ones that help keep my sport (F1) going. I have no problems buying or wearing a Flames jersey with advertising on it.

Fire of the Phoenix
04-16-2016, 04:01 PM
I haven't even bought any of the current jerseys because they're ugly. I have the black jersey, 2004 reds and current retros. If I don't find new jerseys to be an improvement over the ones I already have I don't see the purpose of getting them.
I hear that. I only have vintage home/away and 2004 home/away. All other jerseys in Flames history have been ugly IMO. The away/whites just before 2004 weren't bad either I guess.

I also have a pedestal jersey that was bought for me as a teenager. Don't know where it is though.

Cecil Terwilliger
04-16-2016, 04:05 PM
I buy a new jersey every year. I also buy F1 "jerseys" yearly plastered with advertising and always gets asked wtf is Vodafone over the years. I actually support the sponsors who support my teams, as they are the ones that help keep my sport (F1) going. I have no problems buying or wearing a Flames jersey with advertising on it.

Yeah I think there is a big cultural difference in the acceptance of ads. In Europe there does seem to be much more support among fans for the companies hat sponsor their teams. Here we chastise both our team for selling out and the advertiser for ruining the jerseys.

I own quite a bit of f1 stuff and I have to say I prefer the move towards less ads on consumer clothing. This years red bull stuff has about half the ads of the actual team wear and vs last year. In fact I'd love a Ferrari hat but just like my post about soccer jerseys earlier, I refuse to walk around with a Santander hat. I'm supporting Ferrari, not a German bank.

3rd line Grinder
04-16-2016, 05:39 PM
Yeah I think there is a big cultural difference in the acceptance of ads. In Europe there does seem to be much more support among fans for the companies hat sponsor their teams. Here we chastise both our team for selling out and the advertiser for ruining the jerseys.

I own quite a bit of f1 stuff and I have to say I prefer the move towards less ads on consumer clothing. This years red bull stuff has about half the ads of the actual team wear and vs last year. In fact I'd love a Ferrari hat but just like my post about soccer jerseys earlier, I refuse to walk around with a Santander hat. I'm supporting Ferrari, not a German bank.

Please tell me you see the irony of comparing the red bull and Ferrari teams...

Cecil Terwilliger
04-16-2016, 06:43 PM
Please tell me you see the irony of comparing the red bull and Ferrari teams...

Red Bull is a customer team and Ferrari is a constructor?

Caged Great
04-16-2016, 07:09 PM

Maybe you should not speak for others. Otherwise you make those people pissed off when your generalizations are incorrect.

You may have an opinion that works for yourself. Your opinion is not the only one.

Being arrogant and a jerk towards others does not endear yourself well to anyone.

DynamRyan
04-16-2016, 07:19 PM
Premier league jerseys are horrible. Tiny little breast logo, and a giant VODAFONE across the belly? I can tell you that that wouldn't sell in Canada. At least, not until a full generation of new fans had grown up with that as their reality.
NFL jerseys are different. The helmet is where their identifying colours are, so even if they allowed sponsor logos on jerseys, it wouldn't be as repugnant.

This is nothing like ads on the boards (remember clean, white boards?), and nothing like holographic PIZZA 73 hovering above the fans in the first row. Turning the NHL jersey into anything resembling a European any-sport jersey would probably cost teams more money in lost sales than they got from the sponsorship money.

Whilst I agree with you in principle, I have to add that in the Premier league (and indeed almost all of football) having small logos on the left breast was how many of the teams designed the actual formation of their shirts a long, long time ago (like hockey teams in North America having a large team logo in the centre of the jersey.) I remember in 1996-97, Umbro decided to make all their manufactured shirts (Man Utd, Chelsea, England, Everton, Notts Forest etc) have their logos in the Centre of the shirt below the shirt crest, and a huge percentage of people hated it. When they released the next line of shirts in 1997-98 and 1998-99, they had moved them back to the left breast. The small team crest on the left (or no logo at all) was actually a global football tradition even before The English football league started allowing kit sponsor ads in the middle of shirts from the 1983-84 season. Some teams (Like Barcelona for a very long time) managed to not have the sponsor on the middle of the crest. I agree with you that that particular configuration would look really ugly on Hockey Jerseys, and I'm not a fan of the European hockey Leagues' "splatter them all over ever part of the uniform" way.