PDA

View Full Version : NHL.com 30 Teams in 30 Days - Calgary Flames Edition

Huntingwhale
08-17-2015, 10:39 AM
Didn't see this posted anywhere and since we are all desperate for Flames news I thought this would be a good time to post.

NHL.com is currently doing it's 30 Teams in 30 Days feature and Saturday was our Calgary Flames!

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=776895

Some solid quotes from Treliving

"What we're trying to be is a championship team," general manager Brad Treliving said. "We're trying to build a team that has a chance to have long-term success here.

On Hamilton...

"Dougie obviously helps and gives us more depth on the blue line," Treliving said. "Right shot, big body, skates, can do a lot of different things, but it's a good player that to me joins a good group of players on the blue line

On Frolik...

"Michael gives us experience, a guy who's won a Stanley Cup, who's been in the playoffs and can do multiple things," Treliving said. "He's a tremendous penalty-killer, he brings us speed, tenaciously, work ethic. How that all translates and what it does it terms of lines and pairings, that's for the coaches, and that will get sorted out in the wash.

There are also some links on the right side of the article with some more in-depth analysis.

The season just can't come fast enough!

CroFlames
08-17-2015, 10:52 AM
He forgot to mention that Frolik looks like Ashton Kutcher which will bring in more female fans and thus more dollars to finance the new arena.

Vinny01
08-17-2015, 01:34 PM
I love that all the media folk are predicting the Flames in the playoffs. Doesn't mean anything at the end of the day other than the Flames have earned respect in their coney world as a legit up and coming team. The Hamilton and Frolik acquisitions are universally applauded

Enoch Root
08-17-2015, 01:49 PM
How do you write an article about the upcoming season of the Flames and not mention Sam Bennett?

btimbit
08-17-2015, 01:56 PM
Everything they mentioned + Bennett.

Can we just have hockey now please? Stupid August

Savvy27
08-17-2015, 02:01 PM
How do you write an article about the upcoming season of the Flames and not mention Sam Bennett?

I agree, if you are going to mention Setoguchi, Potter and Schlemko as notable subtractions, then I think the addition of a full season of Bennett is worth mentioning.

It's exciting that there are enough positive things going on with the team that a guy like Bennett wouldn't fit into a 3+ minute video previewing the season.

Enoch Root
08-17-2015, 02:07 PM
The Flames had 6 guys that got at least 40 points last year.

And they added two more in Hamilton and Frolik.

Then there is Bennett, who had a 54 point NHLe last year.

It seems unlikely that 4 defensemen can hit 40 points, but still, that's a pretty potent and well balanced offence.

heep223
08-17-2015, 02:40 PM
It's exciting that there are enough positive things going on with the team that a guy like Bennett wouldn't fit into a 3+ minute video previewing the season.

This is exactly it. And it's why I think the team will continue to have success going forward - there's so many things and so many players to be excited about. The pressure is spread throughout the lineup, not squarely on any one guy.

The Flames had 6 guys that got at least 40 points last year.

And they added two more in Hamilton and Frolik.

Then there is Bennett, who had a 54 point NHLe last year.

It seems unlikely that 4 defensemen can hit 40 points, but still, that's a pretty potent and well balanced offence.

Also if Backlund can stay healthy there's another one.

Fire
08-17-2015, 03:03 PM

Yeah my guess would be for Wideman not hitting 40 points. I suspect Hamilton will take a lot of his minutes.

Gaskal
08-17-2015, 03:48 PM
Now I'm super excited again and there's still 9000 days until the season starts. :(

Jay Random
08-17-2015, 06:13 PM
Now I'm super excited again and there's still 9000 days until the season starts. :(

90,000 days. You missed a zero. :whaa:

drewtastic
08-17-2015, 07:50 PM
Whenever there's a discussion of the Flames' offseason, all that goes through my mind is: "Dougie Hamilton. Dougie Hamilton. Dougie Hamilton." I keep forgetting we also got Frolik.

Hee hee hee hee hee hee hee! #GiddyLikeASchoolGirl

Huntingwhale
08-17-2015, 09:02 PM
Whenever there's a discussion of the Flames' offseason, all that goes through my mind is: "Dougie Hamilton. Dougie Hamilton. Dougie Hamilton." I keep forgetting we also got Frolik.

Hee hee hee hee hee hee hee! #GiddyLikeASchoolGirl

+ Bennett!!

http://i.imgur.com/JBncl3D.gif

FlatLandFlamesFan
08-17-2015, 09:57 PM
Notable subtractions ... ? Hahahaha! hardly !

getbak
08-18-2015, 02:14 AM

That's pretty much the definition of addition by subtraction.

Superfraggle
08-18-2015, 02:37 AM

Weird that they went with Potter over Diaz

calgarygeologist
08-22-2015, 09:59 AM
there's so many things and so many players to be excited about. The pressure is spread throughout the lineup, not squarely on any one guy.

The Flames look like they have all the right pieces in all the right places. This should be a very exciting season and I expect the Flames will have a very good season.

I can't wait to see the team play. Defense isn't really something to normally get excited about but with Gio, Wideman, Hamilton and Brodie the action from our D will be impressive.

belsarius
08-22-2015, 10:45 AM
The Flames look like they have all the right pieces in all the right places. This should be a very exciting season and I expect the Flames will have a very good season.

I can't wait to see the team play. Defense isn't really something to normally get excited about but with Gio, Wideman, Hamilton and Brodie the action from our D will be impressive.

And Russell!

Believer
08-22-2015, 11:21 AM
+ Bennett - Glencross

aznazz
08-23-2015, 11:05 AM

Rewatched the first round to get my hockey fix. Then I had to put some good parts together and make a tribute (https://www.facebook.com/aznazz/videos/10153027883060913)