PDA

View Full Version : GAME 7: Ottawa Redblacks vs CALGARY STAMPEDERS

OzSome
08-15-2015, 12:21 PM
Game Time: Saturday, August 15th at 8:00pm McMahon Stadium
TV: TSN, ESPN2

Calgary is coming back from bye week and they are unbeaten in 8 games after coming back from a bye week. They are also unbeaten in 4 games so far this season playing at home. Calgary lost to Ottawa Redblacks on Week 5 29-26 in OT after having a good start for a change in the first quarter leading 11-0. Stamps have been starting slow so far this season and the secondary had been burned with big gained in the first quarter.

OFFENSE:

It seems like QB Bo Levi Mitchell is starting to pick his game and starting to play well together with SB Marquay McDaniel in the last 2 games (6 for 60 yards vs Ottawa and 7 for 126 yards with 2 TD last game) and WR Eric Rogers (6 for 124 yards 1 TD vs Ottawa and 4 for 63 yards last game). Rogers scored a TD in the last 4 games. Running game on the other hand wasn't that spectacular last game with Matt Walter and Tory Harrison with combined 87 rushing yards for the game.
Good news on the OLine, Garry Williams' injury last game was not serious so he will be in the starting lineup tonight.

DEFENSE:

DLine is welcoming back DT Micah Johnson and DT Ben D'Aguilar. The line was actually doing well the last few games so it is a bonus to see a couple of veterans back in the lineup. DE Charleston "Sackmaster" Hughes is tied for the league lead 6 QB sacks and LB Deron Mayo leads the Stamps with 29 tackles, 7th in the CFL. DB Fred Bennett had a good game vs Montreal with 7 tackles and 1 fumble return.

SPECIAL TEAM:

I am still waiting for returner Tim Brown to break free soon. It seems like he's been picking up lately so I guess anytime soon. ST coverage do not have to deal with Ottawa returner Chris Williams tonight as he is out due to injury. Coverage got burned by Stefan Logan last game returning a punt return for a TD. After that TD return, it seems to wake the whole team up and changed their game overall. Calgary had a dilemma to try to figure out soon now that kicker Tyler Crapigna is off the 6-games injured list. Right now he's been put on a practice roster. I guess Rene Paredes better start making his field goal consistently from now on.

OPPONENT:

QB Henry Burris been having a good season so far. In their last 2 games winning streak, he threw for 600 yards with 5 TD and 0 interceptions. Ottawa does not run the ball much this season and relying on Burris' arm taking advantage of their deep receiving corp: Ellingson, Sinopoli, Maurice Price, Chris Williams and Marcus Henry.

Stamps need to start playing better in the first half so they can use their running game more during the game. The weather is wet tonight so the running game is a must. DLine needs to pressure Burris more and hopefully he makes some mistakes and rush his pass.

GO STAMPS GO!!!

OzSome
08-15-2015, 07:41 PM
Looks like the weather for the game is not that bad. It doesn't look like it is windy and not that cold. Stamps need a good start tonight.

GO STAMPS GO!!!!

darockwilder
08-15-2015, 07:56 PM
Should be fine for the start anyways...

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

jayswin
08-15-2015, 08:13 PM
Wow, I've seen empty corners at McMahon before but never like this. That is atrocious, it'll be interesting to see the attendance, it can't be anywhere near even the new normal bad figures of 28-29.

I wouldn't be surprised if it's the lowest we've seen in a couple years. The empty blocks are actually creeping into the upper middle sections. I know the weather isn't ideal, but my goodness.

PostandIn
08-15-2015, 08:14 PM
What's with the choppy video feed and the odd ball camera zooms?

RW99
08-15-2015, 08:22 PM
Touchdown!

Why are they wearing their old helmet design? There was a nicer one that they had last year. Did I miss something?

PostandIn
08-15-2015, 08:24 PM
Huf should fine Fuller for not even making an effort to block downfield for Bo on that TD. High school stuff.

transplant99
08-15-2015, 08:42 PM
Well its easy to see that kick and punt coverage was something Huf had them working on over the bye week. Best its been all year.

OzSome
08-15-2015, 08:50 PM
Good pass by BLM and good grab by Joe West.

TD Bo Levi!

OzSome
08-15-2015, 08:55 PM
Langlais just rocked that punt returner. Wow, what a hit!!

OzSome
08-15-2015, 09:04 PM
Almost block that punt. I am surprised they haven't tried to block DeMarco's punt much tonight. He looks very uncomfortable punting the ball.

OzSome
08-15-2015, 09:08 PM
Go West my friend. Joe West touchdown after Adam Berger recovered a punt return fumble.

OzSome
08-15-2015, 09:33 PM
Another TD catch by Eric Rogers.

PostandIn
08-15-2015, 09:39 PM
Lol TSN panel. What a bunch of hams.

PostandIn
08-15-2015, 09:39 PM
That can't dance. :bag:

octothorp
08-15-2015, 09:41 PM
Really nice execution on that last drive, and through the half in general.

OzSome
08-15-2015, 09:52 PM
Dominating first half by Stampeders 31-3. Offense, defense and special team are clicking. Difference between tonight's game versus the first 6 games, our defense are throwing a lot of heat on Burris. They could have at least 5 or more sacks by now. Bo Levi Mitchell is having some good success throwing the ball. Still need to get the running game going though. Special Team, Stamps are taking advantage of DeMarco's punting.

Keep it up boys!!

PostandIn
08-15-2015, 09:58 PM
Maver is so good at that sideline placement. Wow.

Edit: fortunate bounce on that one actually but we'll take it.

OzSome
08-15-2015, 10:10 PM
that was a lame illegal block penalty on Tim Brown's punt return TD.

M*A*S*H 4077
08-15-2015, 10:14 PM
Want to give a shout out to the CFL for pushing and promoting the league better than ever before. Sitting in my hotel in California watching Calgary dismantle the REDBLACKS. Well done CFL and I think ESPN deserves some props here as well.

jayswin
08-15-2015, 10:17 PM
Want to give a shout out to the CFL for pushing and promoting the league better than ever before. Sitting in my hotel in California watching Calgary dismantle the REDBLACKS. Well done CFL and I think ESPN deserves some props here as well.

So after a nice off week to rest and finally heal up a bit, do you still think that gap between the Stamps and other west teams has closed significantly? :D

OzSome
08-15-2015, 10:23 PM
Wow!! Rob Maver is so awesome!!

M*A*S*H 4077
08-15-2015, 10:24 PM
So after a nice off week to rest and finally heal up a bit, do you still think that gap between the Stamps and other west teams has closed significantly? :D
Who knows, haven't seen enough ball to have much of an opinion, but looking at the scores I would still say yes. Hamilton is darn good and has had as bad of luck as the Stamps (or a number of other teams) in regards to injuries.

Not saying Calgary's talent level has dropped much (it has in some areas, Brett Jones is probably the single biggest loss of any team in the league), but that other teams are catching up. Which only means better football and hopefully more competitive games, which this is not.

Ha, after all that I realized you were asking about the West. :) Calgary is definitely the class of the west, however if Edmonton had a healthy Reilly they would likely have another win or two on the season IMO. Labour Day will be the litmus test for both teams.

Maver is the best punter in the league. Perhaps not the strongest leg in the league but easily the best directional kicker

M*A*S*H 4077
08-15-2015, 10:27 PM
The good news about the ineptitude of West is the Riders are still in the playoff hunt :bag:.... Barely.

transplant99
08-15-2015, 10:28 PM
Lavertu looks to be done for a while, so that makes 5 O-Line starters down since week 1.

CofR
08-16-2015, 03:18 AM
Great to get a win after the bye.

MissTeeks
08-17-2015, 06:02 PM
@SUNScottFisher: Sounds like C Pierre Lavertu escaped major injury. Sources indicate no major damage in the knee and he could possibly play this weekend.

dino7c
08-17-2015, 11:26 PM
The good news about the ineptitude of West is the Riders are still in the playoff hunt :bag:.... Barely.

an 0-7 football team in the playoff hunt makes the league look like a joke

Dan02
08-18-2015, 01:30 AM
an 0-7 football team in the playoff hunt makes the league look like a joke

In the playoff hunt??? I think the words you're looking for is not technically eliminated yet. The riders are no more in the playoff hunt then the Oilers are by December every year.

It usually takes 9 maybe 8 wins to sneak into the playoffs, do you expect a team that is 0 and 7 to magically go 8 and 3 or better to finish the season?

So just like the Oilers i guess if you think it's possible for the worst team in the league to go on a miraculous run then yeah i guess they are in the playoff race. In sanity land though, stick a fork in them, they're done.

dino7c
08-18-2015, 02:37 AM
In the playoff hunt??? I think the words you're looking for is not technically eliminated yet. The riders are no more in the playoff hunt then the Oilers are by December every year.

It usually takes 9 maybe 8 wins to sneak into the playoffs, do you expect a team that is 0 and 7 to magically go 8 and 3 or better to finish the season?

So just like the Oilers i guess if you think it's possible for the worst team in the league to go on a miraculous run then yeah i guess they are in the playoff race. In sanity land though, stick a fork in them, they're done.

well a team with 3 wins holds a spot right now they are not as far out as they should be

STAMPEDRED
08-18-2015, 11:55 AM

You perhaps didn't notice the 1-7 Alouettes from last season. It's the CFL, it does make it interesting... but honestly I'm more interested in the Riders being just great at 0 and 8!

OzSome
08-19-2015, 03:30 PM
You perhaps didn't notice the 1-7 Alouettes from last season. It's the CFL, it does make it interesting... but honestly I'm more interested in the Riders being just great at 0 and 8!

How about 0-16? I would so happy and grateful if the Stamps beat them this weekend. The only thing is Riders usually plays much better when they play the Stamps compare to the rest of the team in the league. Stamps are also prone to take it easy on a rookie QB. Hopefully our defense will pressure Smith the way they pressured Burris and DeMarco last game. I still the Stamps will win though.