PDA

View Full Version : Andrew Ference remembers trying to get drafted

Bend it like Bourgeois
08-13-2015, 08:44 PM
Saw this on Twitter and thought it was worth sharing

Good on him. I wonder how often players do this sort of thing.

https://mobile.twitter.com/ferknuckle/status/631914111203328000

(If there's a better way to embed this someone let me know)

transplant99
08-13-2015, 08:52 PM
It is not uncommon at all...or at least that's how it used to be.

saillias
08-13-2015, 09:00 PM
Looks about what I tried to get an entry level job. Didn't work

1Nite
08-13-2015, 09:13 PM
There must be a joke here, about him sendIng out letters to GMs around the league trying to get a real team to take him.

Jacks
08-13-2015, 09:31 PM
Good on him I guess, still haven't forgotten his coward attack on Stempniak so he can go rot for all I care. He fits in on the greasers squad.

Kjesse
08-13-2015, 09:48 PM
Jacks how about all the awesome he brought? Your post reminds me of this off-colour joke:

A Scottish old timer in Scotland, in a bar, talking to a young man.

The Old Man says, "Lad, look out there to the field. Do ya see that fence? Look how well it's built. I built that fence stone by stone with me own two hands. I piled it for months."

"But do they call me McGreggor-the-Fence-Builder? Nooo..."

Then the old man gestured at the bar. "Look here at the bar. Do ya see how smooth and just it is? I planed that surface down by me own achin' back. I carved that wood with me own hard labour, for eight days."

"But do they call me McGreggor-the-Bar-builder? Nooo..."

Then the old man points out the window. "Eh, Laddy, look out to sea...Do ya see that pier that stretches out as far as the eye can see? I built that pier with the sweat off me back. I nailed it board by board."

"But do they call me McGreggor-the-Pier-Builder? Nooo..."

Then the old man looks around nervously, trying to make sure no one is paying attention.

"But ya #### one goat..."

bax
08-13-2015, 11:18 PM
That's actually pretty awesome

YogiBerra
08-14-2015, 12:35 AM
Good on him I guess, still haven't forgotten his coward attack on Stempniak so he can go rot for all I care. He fits in on the greasers squad.

Wish i could double thank this guy is a opportunist you can't handle being hit get out of the game.

Huntingwhale
08-14-2015, 08:19 AM

Yup. I'm hoping he squares off with Ferland and gets his ass beaten.

saillias
08-14-2015, 08:27 AM
Yup. I'm hoping he squares off with Ferland and gets his ass beaten.

Never. The guy is a more careful spot-picker than Bieksa. Fight card consists of guys like Stillman, Crosby, this past year dropped the gloves on Monahan.

ricardodw
08-14-2015, 09:30 AM

Context on Ference:

1) Ferrence is the only NHL player to post regularly on CP. He is a great reason that this site is so successful.

2) He was a great Flame In the 04 playoff run he and Warner were the Flames 3/4 D pairing .... Ference was making 500k

3) He was a prime example of signing for a hometown discount and getting treated poorly by the team. I guess that was a prime reason that the Flames had to give out so many NTCs after Ference. One of the worst trades in Flames History... Ference and Kobasew for playoff rental Stuart and Primeau.

On the Stempniak hit and beat down:

McGratton and Gazdic had their staged fight where Mcgrattan tussled Gazdic's hair after the beat down. This was after Bouma ran Belov leaving him squirming on the ice post fight.

Three minutes later Stempniak hits Ference and Ference decides that the Oilers are not going to run out of the Saddledome by the soft (Baertschi, Bulter, D. Smith, Backlund, Stempniak, Galiardi) Flames. If guys like Stempniak feel they can start running around you are going to have a really long night.

At the time Flames were leading the Oilers 1-0 on a Monahan goal. The Oilers game back with 4 third period goals to win 4-2 for perhaps their biggest win since their 2006 playoff run.

Ference does that in a Flames uniform (like he should be wearing) he would be a hero on this board.

Poe969
08-14-2015, 09:42 AM
Ricardodw'ed!

Who cares about all the past things Ference did, for the most part he was well respected by teams and fans (especially here). The "Stempniak bead down" come on, this is a low even for you. What you're saying is that if you throw a clean hit, you have to fight? Ference knew what he was doing when that happened, he was fighting someone smaller then him who isn't a fighter just to prove he's "a big man" it only proved that he's a chicken $&!+ who goes after smaller non-fighters. It would be like Gaudreau fighting a 5 year old to prove he's tough. It doesn't prove anything except you're a better fighter than the person you just fought (and in Ference's case, it's someone who doesn't fight but gets a lot more points and is a better player).

Context on Ference:

He's a cowardly feminine hygiene product who'll fight people smaller than him and now he's the captain (for now) of our hated rival.

Huntingwhale
08-14-2015, 09:54 AM
Context on Ference:

Ferrence is the only NHL player to post regularly on CP. He is a great reason that this site is so successful.

Okotoker had a grand total of 35 posts. Hardly a ''regular'' poster. Unless there is something I don't know about, I'd be reluctant give him credit for making CP so successful.

However it is cool a former CP member is captain of the Oilers. But he's just that: the captain of our heated rival.

SuperMatt18
08-14-2015, 09:58 AM
One of the worst trades in Flames History... Ference and Kobasew for playoff rental Stuart and Primeau.

I do think that trade hurt the culture of the team since the players didn't like that Ference who took a discount got traded, but thank god Stuart was just a playoff rental.

2008 conditional 4th round pick (if Stuart doesn't re-sign with Flames) ended up being...#114-T.J. Brodie

Also not a big fan of the hate for Ference, this was also the guy that when interviewed after winning the cup with Boston immediately mentioned his teammates from the 04 team and how much it was for all of them.

bax
08-14-2015, 10:21 AM
McGratton and Gazdic had their staged fight where Mcgrattan tussled Gazdic's hair after the beat down. This was after Bouma ran Belov leaving him squirming on the ice post.

What? He gave Gazdic a pat on the head as in "good fight kid"

CroFlames
08-14-2015, 10:24 AM
I had no clue Ference posted on CP.

That is the only useful bit of info from this thread.

Yamer
08-14-2015, 10:31 AM
I still can't help but like Ference. He was a pretty solid Flame for a few years and clearly didn't want to leave. He even gave a shout out to Iggy, Reggie, and the boys in Calgary after his Cup win, saying it should have happened in '04.

His cheap attack on Stempniak was very out of character, and because he had Oiler rags on it immediately undid a lot of the great work Andrew had done on and off the ice in Calgary and Boston in the eyes of some short-term memory Flames fans. I'm not excusing that action, it pissed me off too, but in the grand scheme of things it is rather inconsequential.

Feces takes place.

northcrunk
08-14-2015, 10:34 AM

He's a giant POS douchbag. One of the few NHLers I would love to fight on the ice.

darthma
08-14-2015, 10:40 AM
I'll always like him, if only for sentimental reasons. This video (around the 20s mark) is touching.

http://video.nhl.com/videocenter/console?id=118274

Giving props to Iggy, Regehr, and others immediately after winning the cup with BOS.

Oil Stain
08-14-2015, 11:06 AM
Ference never touched the puck before being hit by Stempniak.

I can see why he didn't like the hit.

Psytic
08-14-2015, 11:38 AM
Never. The guy is a more careful spot-picker than Bieksa. Fight card consists of guys like Stillman, Crosby, this past year dropped the gloves on Monahan.

Monahan is built like a tank though I think he would give Ference trouble even though hes a star

ricardodw
08-14-2015, 11:42 AM
Ricardodw'ed!

Who cares about all the past things Ference did, for the most part he was well respected by teams and fans (especially here). The "Stempniak bead down" come on, this is a low even for you. What you're saying is that if you throw a clean hit, you have to fight? Ference knew what he was doing when that happened, he was fighting someone smaller then him who isn't a fighter just to prove he's "a big man" it only proved that he's a chicken $&!+ who goes after smaller non-fighters. It would be like Gaudreau fighting a 5 year old to prove he's tough. It doesn't prove anything except you're a better fighter than the person you just fought (and in Ference's case, it's someone who doesn't fight but gets a lot more points and is a better player).

Context on Ference:

He's a cowardly feminine hygiene product who'll fight people smaller than him and now he's the captain (for now) of our hated rival.

You are just so full of it.

Ference from nhl.com 5-11 189 Stempniak 5-11 196

There was a stretch of 18 games that Stempniak was a better player than Ference other than that Ference would be better for the other 880 regular season games and especially his 120 playoff games.

Poe969
08-14-2015, 11:52 AM
come on now.... Ference is a lot tougher than stempniak and it's not even close. Stempniak doesn't fight, he'll give clean hits and play somewhat physical but he's not a fighter, ference has fought before. Regardless, Ference pretty much dropped the gloves and started punching stempniak before he could even react. Real tough guy....
As for being the better player, I guess it's a mater of opinion. Ference is a good bottom pairing guy and a terrible top 4 guy. Stempniak is a good third line guy maybe a second line guy in a pinch. They're 2 different players.

I loved what ference did for the Flames while he was here and his 30 something posts must have been some of the best words ever typed to make CP what it is... BUT now and in the past 2 years, I have very little respect hockey wise for ference. He signed with the oilers for big money to "lead" the team and he hasn't. He plays a b!t#* game by fighting guys who don't want to fight or have no business fighting and again....he's an oiler.

Yoho
08-14-2015, 12:13 PM
FQKlpxRc6WE

Ference gets beat to a puck battle and then takes the opportunity to goon one of the few players in the league he can. Plain and simple.

ricardodw
08-14-2015, 12:27 PM
come on now.... Ference is a lot tougher than stempniak and it's not even close. Stempniak doesn't fight, he'll give clean hits and play somewhat physical but he's not a fighter, ference has fought before. Regardless, Ference pretty much dropped the gloves and started punching stempniak before he could even react. Real tough guy....
As for being the better player, I guess it's a mater of opinion. Ference is a good bottom pairing guy and a terrible top 4 guy. Stempniak is a good third line guy maybe a second line guy in a pinch. They're 2 different players.

I loved what ference did for the Flames while he was here and his 30 something posts must have been some of the best words ever typed to make CP what it is... BUT now and in the past 2 years, I have very little respect hockey wise for ference. He signed with the oilers for big money to "lead" the team and he hasn't. He plays a b!t#* game by fighting guys who don't want to fight or have no business fighting and again....he's an oiler.

What!!!! Ference was #3 on the Flames in their SC run and was #4 on the Bruins SC team and #3 on the Bruins loser in the 2013 SC final

He has been a top 4 on a SC winner... I don't know what he would have to do to improve on that.

Ference signed with the Oilers as a 34 year old. He signed with the Oilers as his last big chance to make 3.25 M for 4 years.

Stempniak's NHL career seems to be over as a 32 year old.

Tyler
08-14-2015, 12:30 PM
Monahan is built like a tank though I think he would give Ference trouble even though hes a star

There's being strong and there's knowing how to fight. I don't think Sean would have a chance against Andy.

Poe969
08-14-2015, 12:32 PM
Ference was good, pretty much as soon as he went to the oil he turned to turd. If we were taking about 04 ference it would be a different story. I'm talking about when the "beatdown" happened. Ference was clearly on the decline.

I'll try and go slow.... Ference from a long time ago was awesome. I liked him, I was sad to see him go.

Ference from the past 3 has been garbage. I don't like him, I don't respect him and I don't think he's good. He jumped Stempniak, not a ference from the past. There was no time traveling involved. Crappy ference jumped a player. It was a female dog move.

Yamer
08-14-2015, 02:32 PM
I don't make a habit of watching the perpetual suck up north, but outside of this one incident against Stempniak what has Ference done to warrant the slagging? Legitimately curious.

EDIT: I mean, it would be a damn shame if that's the impression some Flames fans are left with. A single offense against a bit player that played a mere 160 games for Calgary (as opposed to Ference's contributions in the '04 run).

Cleveland Steam Whistle
08-14-2015, 02:44 PM
I think you need to get some tougher skin as a fan if the Ference / Stemp incident has you feeling this much venom towards him.

Basically a nothing play that isn't even worth talking about at this point. Ference didn't like the Stemp hit, we think Ference jumped Stemp.................who cares? I bet Stemp doesn't even care at this point.

heep223
08-14-2015, 04:01 PM

Umm sorry really OT here, but can you explain your sig? Aren't you an Oilers fan? If so why would you be flaunting that, did you lose a bet with MMF? /OT

Neeper
08-14-2015, 05:06 PM
Context on Ference:

1) Ferrence is the only NHL player to post regularly on CP. He is a great reason that this site is so successful.

2) He was a great Flame In the 04 playoff run he and Warner were the Flames 3/4 D pairing .... Ference was making 500k

3) He was a prime example of signing for a hometown discount and getting treated poorly by the team. I guess that was a prime reason that the Flames had to give out so many NTCs after Ference. One of the worst trades in Flames History... Ference and Kobasew for playoff rental Stuart and Primeau.

Ference also reached out to me, via CP, when I was starting my photography career to come do a photo shoot for him. It was an awesome day hanging out with an NHLer watching him train and shooting the sh** about the team and other players.

We have kept in contact via email since then as well. I really wanted to photograph him when he had his day with the cup, but he decided to stay in Boston to "let the fans enjoy it". He's a really nice human being.

The Yen Man
08-14-2015, 05:18 PM
Didn't he also two hand slash Johnny Gaudreau? Or am I thinking of someone else.

Regardless, I used to be a big Ference fan. But the guy has been a d-bag player ever since he played in Boston. I remember he purposely elbowed someone in the head and gave him a concussion, and during the interview afterwards, he was telling the reporter I don't know what you're talking about, I didn't elbow anyone". Uh, a no comment would have sufficed Andrew.

GettinIggyWithIt
08-14-2015, 05:29 PM

Ference was about to play the puck. That's a completely legit hit. If he didn't like it - he shouldn't play hockey.

GettinIggyWithIt
08-14-2015, 05:36 PM
What!!!! Ference was #3 on the Flames in their SC run and was #4 on the Bruins SC team and #3 on the Bruins loser in the 2013 SC final

He has been a top 4 on a SC winner... I don't know what he would have to do to improve on that.

Ference signed with the Oilers as a 34 year old. He signed with the Oilers as his last big chance to make 3.25 M for 4 years.

Stempniak's NHL career seems to be over as a 32 year old.

I am pretty sure Ference was #4 on the 04 team and only because Lydman was injured in the playoffs. He was #5 before that. Also he didn't even progress to the SC Finals with the Bruins in 2013. Boychuck ,Chara and Seidenberg were all ahead of him on the depth chart that year.

I agree he stepped up in 04 along with a host of other guys, but he is what he is in his career - a #4-5 guy. 3 is a stretch imo.

bax
08-14-2015, 07:07 PM
Ference also reached out to me, via CP, when I was starting my photography career to come do a photo shoot for him. It was an awesome day hanging out with an NHLer watching him train and shooting the sh** about the team and other players.

We have kept in contact via email since then as well. I really wanted to photograph him when he had his day with the cup, but he decided to stay in Boston to "let the fans enjoy it". He's a really nice human being.

This is awesome

getbak
08-14-2015, 07:41 PM
Ference is 11th overall in games played by players from the 1997 draft.

Eight of the ten players ahead of him were drafted in the first round. Matt Cooke and Brian Campbell (both sixth round picks) are the only players from outside the first round ahead of Ference on the games played list.

11 of the 26 players drafted in the first round that year didn't reach 100 NHL games played. Three never made it into a single game.

The Flames got a grand total of 31 NHL games from the 12 players they drafted in 1997.

Clarkey
08-14-2015, 10:48 PM
I see him as a cocky little ####.

08-14-2015, 11:00 PM
Have to agree with Ricardo, a flames lays a beat down on a guy for a questionable hit, I'd love it.

Loved Ference as a Flames, loved him even more for beating the Canucks.

Sucks he's an Oiler but at least he isn't helping them much and if anything s causing them cap issues, so on the end he's still doing the Flames a favor.

The guy is born to be a flame, everything he does benefits the Flmes in some way.

Oh and Ference is not a spot picker. He took a hit he didn't like and did something about it. He fought Crosby but Sid was looking for it and Ference would be stupid not to take that trade off. As a Flame Ference fought a much bigger and true spot picker in Bieksa and held his own.

TKB
08-14-2015, 11:11 PM
He's a giant POS douchbag. One of the few NHLers I would love to fight on the ice.

I would pay top coin to watch the beat down that would ensue.

Vulcan
08-14-2015, 11:30 PM
Ference was about to play the puck. That's a completely legit hit. If he didn't like it - he shouldn't play hockey.

Whether you like it or not, a player who throws a big hit better be ready to defend himself. That's the unwritten code in the NHL and it happens all the time. When the Canucks didn't respond enough to Ferland, they were done.

Yoho
08-14-2015, 11:37 PM
Whether you like it or not, a player who throws a big hit better be ready to defend himself. That's the unwritten code in the NHL and it happens all the time. When the Canucks didn't respond enough to Ferland, they were done.

BS...only fighting non fighters your entire career is pansy a$$

Vulcan
08-14-2015, 11:58 PM
BS...only fighting non fighters your entire career is pansy a$$

It doesn't matter who the combatants are. You throw a big hit, you better be ready for a response.

combustiblefuel
08-15-2015, 01:28 AM
It doesn't matter who the combatants are. You throw a big hit, you better be ready for a response.

Except not every big hit needs a fight at the end of it. If its a legal check move on and get the guy back later with one. It just seems that after every big hit someone wants a fight. Im a guy who loves to watch a good scrap on the ice but not every hit should equal one.

calgarywinning
08-15-2015, 01:31 AM
Back and forth. This was a dirty play. A hit against a player and an injury. Uncalled for in a non critical game.

Cole436
08-15-2015, 02:15 AM
People really need to get over this Stempniak hit.

Vulcan
08-15-2015, 02:51 AM
Except not every big hit needs a fight at the end of it. If its a legal check move on and get the guy back later with one. It just seems that after every big hit someone wants a fight. Im a guy who loves to watch a good scrap on the ice but not every hit should equal one.

That's your opinion but it isn't the way it works. It works the way Ference handled it. Hockey is a game of intimidation as well as the other skills.

GettinIggyWithIt
08-15-2015, 08:13 AM
That's your opinion but it isn't the way it works. It works the way Ference handled it. Hockey is a game of intimidation as well as the other skills.

Well I could argue that's your opinion as well. Not every big hit results in a fight and it doesn't need to. There's plenty of ways to respond and includes responding with a big hit right back, goading the other team into a penalty and putting it in the back of the net. Look at teams like Detroit, . They rarely respond by jumping a player and have been very successful with their style of play. If every big hit deserved a response, I am pretty sure Lance Bouma would have had more than 3 fights last year and I don't recall him getting jumped once.

The example of Ferland and Vancouver is a bad one. Bieksa actually did jump Ferland in the series and it got them nowhere. It's not that they didn't respond, it's that they couldn't respond with the same intensity and level of phsyical play.

The way Ference handled it isn't the norm. It's BS. I guess we'll just have to agree to disagree.

Yoho
08-15-2015, 08:19 AM
I agree it was borderline assault, be interesting to see people's reactions (and the Flames) if it was Johnny on the receiving end of Ference's tantrum.

bax
08-15-2015, 08:34 AM
I agree it was borderline assault, be interesting to see people's reactions (and the Flames) if it was Johnny on the receiving end of Ference's tantrum.

It would be interesting? I think we all know how that would go. Stempniak is the same size as ferrence, it's time to let it go.

Yoho
08-15-2015, 08:56 AM
It would be interesting? I think we all know how that would go. Stempniak is the same size as ferrence, it's time to let it go.

Feel free to leave the discussion

GreenLantern2814
08-15-2015, 09:01 AM
Ference did more for this team than Stempniak ever did. Plus he scored a goal against Montreal in the playoffs and celebrated by flipping off the Bell centre.

He's good people.

Also. Imagine if Edmonton fans biggest reason for hating Iggy was the Sheldon Souray play. Asinine.

ricardodw
08-15-2015, 09:07 AM

Was Stempniak's shoulder to Ference's head an assault as well? Somebody runs up and hits me in the head with their shoulder pad close to my head and I would be calling the cops.

If Johnny starts running around laying out big hits he better learn on how to hang on until help comes or he will take a beating.

Plus if Ference were to beat down on Johnny then the code says he wouldn't be able to turn down a dance with Bollig AND would make it open season on RNH.

Stempniak took the beat down because he was not going to drop his gloves and grab Ference's arms after it was clear that Ference was going to go.

The only difference between Stempiak's move and a standard Burrows move is that after Burrows runs someone he immediately assumes the Turtle position.

GettinIggyWithIt
08-15-2015, 09:16 AM
Ference did more for this team than Stempniak ever did. Plus he scored a goal against Montreal in the playoffs and celebrated by flipping off the Bell centre.

He's good people.

Also. Imagine if Edmonton fans biggest reason for hating Iggy was the Sheldon Souray play. Asinine.

Re: bolded - yeah not even close to the same type of play. And Iggy was a class act because he obliged Souray 1:1 after that. Even Souray mentioned how much he appreciated that from Iggy.

But the Stempniak discussion aside, I was never a big fan of Ference. To me - he had a good run with the 04 team. Aside from that he had a poor post-lockout season and was average in the season that he got traded to Boston. So apart from the 04 playoffs, I personally didn't see him contributing significantly.

And even for the 04 playoffs - that entire team is going to be golden in our eyes but there are a lot of other guys that I could single out as significant contributors. It's hard to have passengers on a SCF team.

Contributed more than Stempniak- yeah obviously. But two different teams going in two different directions. I doubt Ference could have contributed the same way on the Flames teams over the last few years as he did on some very good teams with them earlier on. He's a legit NHL player - just not someone I would care too much about and have even less respect for because of recent events.

PepsiFree
08-15-2015, 09:37 AM
I always really liked Ference. Him and Warrener were two of my favourites when they were here. I "don't like" him now because he plays for the Oilers, but that's only temporary really, it's a curable disease :)

bax
08-15-2015, 11:28 AM

Haha okay Mr. Officer, I apologize for sharing my opinion on a message board.

You just called a hockey fight "borderline assault". Stuff like that happens every season. I don't think it's any reason to hold a grudge. Ference is a stand up guy who did a lot of good for the Flames. Perhaps you should feel free to leave the discussion instead of throwing out bizarre hypotheticals that will never happen

Oil Stain
08-15-2015, 01:43 PM

Alternatively,

If Johnny took a big hit he didn't like and jumped a guy and knocked his tooth out, construction of a statue in his honor would begin the next day...... .....

Street Pharmacist
08-15-2015, 02:34 PM
You didn't like his opinion so he should leave????

Phanuthier
08-17-2015, 11:01 AM

THe problem for me wasn't so much the hit/Ference punch, it was afterwords Stempniak was skating to the bench holding his tooth while everyone else on our team looked down, scared. Scared and small... that was a very sad thing to see.

Dienasty
08-20-2015, 10:08 AM
http://www.hockeyfights.com/fights/125762

He also fought Bieksa here...

Not sure why all the hate, he was a great Flame, does a lot of charity work, and seems like a pretty stand up individual. If you don't like someone going after someone after a big clean hit, I guess we have to hate Iggy to for going after Rinaldo in a Boston/Philly game.

Huntingwhale
08-20-2015, 10:29 AM
THe problem for me wasn't so much the hit/Ference punch, it was afterwords Stempniak was skating to the bench holding his tooth while everyone else on our team looked down, scared. Scared and small... that was a very sad thing to see.

Same. Honestly I was more upset with the team at the time then I was with Ference. Man that was a pathetically soft team that season.

Kolbe31
08-20-2015, 11:19 AM
I think everyone is 'over' the Stempniak thing, but right or wrong, it's something that's fresh in all our minds when Ference is brought up. I always thought he was heavily overrated by Flames fans (maybe because of his involvement here), and was ecstatic when he (and Kobasew) were traded. So for me, he didn't leave a legacy of solid defensive play, or anything positive hockey-related.

When I think of Ference, I'm reminded of the happiness I felt in my heart when he was traded, and the hate in my heart when he jumped Stempniak.

I don't like him.

Flames Draft Watcher
08-20-2015, 07:17 PM

"hit"? seriously? Stempniak's "hit" on Ference resembles a "shoulder charge" in soccer which is a legal play in a sport that does not allow hitting.

If you're trying to suggest (which you seem to be) that it somehow justifies Ference's actual dirty play then you're wrong. What Stempniak did wasn't dirty, and wasn't interference. Ference was being a whiny little you know what.

Good troll though, I bit.

Jacks
08-20-2015, 08:49 PM
This thread is comical. Ference may have been a decent soldier for us a decade ago but these days he's an overpaid pylon, one of the worst captains in the league and a spot picker who likes to play tough guy when he knows he can win a fight. Stempniak threw a clean hit and was assaulted afterwards. Justice would have been served if Gratz had grabbed that twerp by the neck and ragdolled him a bit but Gratz has class and Ference doesn't.

Yamer
08-21-2015, 11:38 AM
This thread is comical. Ference may have been a decent soldier for us a decade ago but these days he's an overpaid pylon, one of the worst captains in the league and a spot picker who likes to play tough guy when he knows he can win a fight. Stempniak threw a clean hit and was assaulted afterwards. Justice would have been served if Gratz had grabbed that twerp by the neck and ragdolled him a bit but Gratz has class and Ference doesn't.

An overpaid pylon? Maybe, but not quite. He's a serviceable 5-6 guy on a team with above average depth. Besides that, it's not the Flames' problem, and really should have no impact on anyone outside of the Edmonton Oilers organization and fan base.

One of the worst captains in the league? No way to really tell. I don't know what goes on in the locker room, nor do I know Ference personally, but every interpretation I have gotten from him on the ice, in interviews, and through his community involvement say he is qualified to be in a leadership role. Add all that to his tenure and playoff experience.

Spot picker? Again I ask, apart from this trivial altercation with Stempniak where is proof of this? Also again, legitimate question that I would be open to hearing about that may change my mind.

Ference's legacy, through some Flames fans minds, has come down to this single play in a BOA game during the regular season. It's tragic and incredibly short sighted.

Jacks
08-21-2015, 01:19 PM
An overpaid pylon? Maybe, but not quite. He's a serviceable 5-6 guy on a team with above average depth. Besides that, it's not the Flames' problem, and really should have no impact on anyone outside of the Edmonton Oilers organization and fan base.
Well I guess that's a matter of opinion but I think most people would agree that he is overpaid and not a very good defenceman at this point in his career.

One of the worst captains in the league? No way to really tell. I don't know what goes on in the locker room, nor do I know Ference personally, but every interpretation I have gotten from him on the ice, in interviews, and through his community involvement say he is qualified to be in a leadership role. Add all that to his tenure and playoff experience.
That team has been a mess for years with a bunch of entitled underachievers. While that isn't entirely his fault the captain has to have some responsibility for the effort his team gives. You pick which captains he is better than.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_current_NHL_captains_and_alternate_captain s

Spot picker? Again I ask, apart from this trivial altercation with Stempniak where is proof of this? Also again, legitimate question that I would be open to hearing about that may change my mind
Just look at his fights the last few years.
http://www.hockeyfights.com/players/488
With the exception of Bieksa he is usually attacking a guy who has no interest in fighting and he has a habit of throwing punches when the other guy still has his gloves on and is trying to push him away.

Ference's legacy, through some Flames fans minds, has come down to this single play in a BOA game during the regular season. It's tragic and incredibly short sighted.
He's also a repeat offender for giving head shots and boarding from behind. You don't have to love every player that wore the flaming C at one point. Anyway I'm done, I don't like him and I can't see changing that opinion any time soon.

saillias
08-21-2015, 01:23 PM
Instigator
Instigator
Roughing
Roughing
etc.

He jumps the other guy in every. fight.

08-21-2015, 01:33 PM

Spot picker?

His fight card includes:

David Backes
Anthony Steward
Adam Burish
Travis Moen
Sean Avery
Scott Hartnell
Scott Nichol
Matt Barnaby
Kevin Bieksa

All guys who are noted fighters or have a significant size advantage over him.

Sure he's fought some guys who don't fight much like Crosby and Stillman but there are unique circumstances there. Crosby was looking for it and the Stillman fight was a Flames induced brawl in the finals if i recall, things that the 2004 Flames were famous for, bullying was part of their identity.

I mean even Iggy fought some non fighters before, see Adam Henrique. Does that make Iggy a spot picker?

ricardodw
08-21-2015, 01:51 PM
Just look at his fights the last few years.
http://www.hockeyfights.com/players/488
With the exception of Bieksa he is usually attacking a guy who has no interest in fighting and he has a habit of throwing punches when the other guy still has his gloves on and is trying to push him away.

5 fights in the last 5 years and only one against a guy that makes an extra Million or so because he fights. ie It is not like Ference is or was a fighter.

Take a peak at Ference spanking Stillman (http://www.hockeyfights.com/fights/7235) in the 2004 SCF game 2. They were holding on at the of a scrum with 14 minutes left in the 3rd period with Tampa leading 3-0. Stillman makes the mistake of dropping his gloves, BUT unlike Stempniak hangs on enough to protect himself and comes out of it intact.

What a violent game it was in 2004... Simon cross checks a guy in the back in the middle of his slap shot wind-up.... then Tampa's Modin has the nerve to stand in the crease near Kipper and Clark buries him with flying cross check.

There was more hitting in that meaningless 30 seconds than the whole of the Flames 2012-13 season.

Someone does what Simon did would be looking at a multi-game suspension in 2014-15

Flames won the next game 3-0.

aaronck
08-25-2015, 01:48 PM
I'll love him forever for his goal, and salute to the Habs fans, on the way to the cup in 2011...not sure if it needs to be spoilered but...

http://www.boston.com/sports/hockey/bruins/extras/bruins_blog/assets_c/2011/04/ference_cbc-thumb-300x243-39488.jpghttps://www.google.com/url?sa=i&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=images&cd=&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0CAcQjRxqFQoTCM_Gpf3_xMcCFUx7kgodZokIMA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.boston.com%2Fsports%2Fhockey% 2Fbruins%2Fextras%2Fbruins_blog%2F2011%2F04%2Fandr ew_ference.html&ei=OcbcVY_GGMz2yQTmkqKAAw&psig=AFQjCNEj6KAd8F_vaihy8FEM3l20x8WS5g&ust=1440618417124039