PDA

View Full Version : Curtis Glencross on FAN960 @4:25 UPD: Tryout with Avalanche?

hockey.modern
08-12-2015, 01:29 PM
Will be on air about his events and possible NHL future.

Locke
08-12-2015, 01:31 PM
I hope the guy gets a contract, hes worth it, hes a good player and an even better guy.

Poe969
08-12-2015, 01:37 PM
It's great that he's found a job. Is he doing sound checks, hosting or just helping around the studio?

I think if he's going to come back, it'll have to be at an extremely low contract. The guy isn't nearly as good as he used to be or as good as some around here peg him to be.

bax
08-12-2015, 01:39 PM
It's great that he's found a job. Is he doing sound checks, hosting or just helping around the studio?

I think if he's going to come back, it'll have to be at an extremely low contract. The guy isn't nearly as good as he used to be or as good as some around here peg him to be.

Do you write your own material?

codynw
08-12-2015, 01:41 PM
Who?

dino7c
08-12-2015, 01:42 PM
I don't hate the guy or anything but when you consider his salary and playtime demands for Calgary I am not unhappy about his current situation. What a great trade for the Flames at the deadline

Tyler
08-12-2015, 01:50 PM
Is he going to be working at the Fan960 because he can't get a job?

AC
08-12-2015, 01:52 PM
I think too much gets made out of Glencross' ice-time demands.

He didn't publicly complain, he was asked by a reporter if he wished he was playing more when it became known we were shopping him. He answered honestly that yeah, he would prefer to be playing bigger minutes and helping the team more.

What was he supposed to say? "No I don't want to be playing more"?

However it is pretty clear the Glencross camp had very unrealistic contract expectations given how things have played out.

He was a great soldier for us, but it was clear his time ran out here. I hope he lands somewhere.

Resolute 14
08-12-2015, 01:54 PM
AC, you should know better than to try and bring logic into an anti-Glencross circlejerk.

StrykerSteve
08-12-2015, 01:57 PM
I like Glencross, but there's no room for him on Calgary's roster. Would be a Top 6 in Edmonton though.

ricardodw
08-12-2015, 02:10 PM
I think too much gets made out of Glencross' ice-time demands.

He didn't publicly complain, he was asked by a reporter if he wished he was playing more when it became known we were shopping him. He answered honestly that yeah, he would prefer to be playing bigger minutes and helping the team more.

What was he supposed to say? "No I don't want to be playing more"?

However it is pretty clear the Glencross camp had very unrealistic contract expectations given how things have played out.

He was a great soldier for us, but it was clear his time ran out here. I hope he lands somewhere.

His salary expectations at the time he was traded were in line with his being a top 6 forward for 3-4 years with very weak and undersized line-mates ... there was no legit #1, 1a or even #2 C on the Flames until the step up by Backlund the 2nd half of 2013-14 and Monahan in 2014-15.

Glencross started 2013-14 playing against the other teams top lines with Ben Street at centre.

It was unimaginable that he would be so bad with the Caps. He was with better players than he had been with for the last 4 years. The Caps sure didn't get the value they expected.

tvp2003
08-12-2015, 02:50 PM
Congrats Curtis. You agreed to speak about your crappy situation and now you'll be completely overshadowed by hype/speculation about the new arena.

Impeccable timing... again.

Igottago
08-12-2015, 02:53 PM
I can't believe he's struggling to get signed. He was amazing value for his contract at one point. Good luck to him.

N-E-B
08-12-2015, 03:00 PM
Maybe he has offers and he just hasn't decided yet? It's funny how people are assuming he's struggling to find work.

codynw
08-12-2015, 03:06 PM
Maybe he has offers and he just hasn't decided yet? It's funny how people are assuming he's struggling to find work.

He was really not good in Washington.

GioforPM
08-12-2015, 03:08 PM

The way this site picks up rumours, it's likely there would have been something posted if that was the case.

At this point, while I think he'll be signed, I also think its going to be a lot closer to camp.

Strange Brew
08-12-2015, 03:10 PM
He might have some offers but I imagine none of them are great at this time of year.

Can't help but wonder what the Flames did offer him during the year. And how much less he will end up with.

Locke
08-12-2015, 03:16 PM
I can't believe he's struggling to get signed. He was amazing value for his contract at one point. Good luck to him.

I dont think hes 'struggling to get signed' but I do believe, based on nothing other than the available information, that he and his agent are asking for the moon but no one is offering.

Hey, if I want Donald Trump to swab my toilet or walk through Hell barefoot all I have to do is pay him, but if he wants more than I've got then we're not going to be able to make a deal.

N-E-B
08-12-2015, 03:22 PM
He was really not good in Washington.

I would agree 100% with that, but I find it hard to believe no one has offered him anything yet. He's still a serviceable player in the NHL.

CroFlames
08-12-2015, 03:22 PM
I'd be genuinely surprised if Glencross doesn't get a deal in time for next year. He is useful at the right price.

H2SO4(aq)
08-12-2015, 03:32 PM
He will get invited to training camp and earn a contract... With someone else

burn_baby_burn
08-12-2015, 04:15 PM
I was really impressed that the Flames were able to move him before the deadline. If KK was still running the show, they would have been a big fat contract for five years with a NTC. In a cap world you need to move out the expensive older players and replace them with cheaper younger players. Drafting and player development are key.

Locke
08-12-2015, 04:21 PM
Again, that trade at the deadline was brilliant. I was vehemently against it because I really like Glencross, but to still make the second round after being sellers and then using those assets to acquire Hamilton.

Glencross has done a lot for this franchise directly and indirectly, and at the right price hes still a serviceable top 6 winger.

Come on Florida, this is a trigger you should pull!

killer_carlson
08-12-2015, 04:38 PM
summary for those who can't listen?

Otto-matic
08-12-2015, 04:40 PM
Right now its just about his Glencross Rodeo next weekend, Nothing but good things to say about the team, still sponsored it even though he's not a flame anymore.

Chad Brownlee is the music act, 25$ gets you quite a bit of entertainment.

Nothing so far about UFA/Hockey.

Summer has been stressful, UFA market hasn't been there.

Talking to a few teams, hoping to get something done in the next few weeks.

hockey.modern
08-12-2015, 04:44 PM
Hopes something will be done in the next couple of weeks

hockey.modern
08-12-2015, 04:46 PM
Offseason and after hockey is done he says Calgary will be his home for his family

transplant99
08-12-2015, 04:50 PM
Such a down to earth and really good guy. Passionate about his charity work and helping others. Really unfortunate people harp on him when all he did was his best for the Flames as a player at a more than favorable price...some of this fanbase can be embarrassing at times.

No doubt he will land a job and likely will be a good player for them. Even though there was no room for him any longer in Calgary, he will always be a Flame at heart and in my eyes.

Huntingwhale
08-12-2015, 05:45 PM
Glencross didn't play that well with the Caps, but dont' forget he almost scored the series clenching goal in round 2, only for his team to crap the bed in the final 2 minutes and the team eventually lost their 3-1 series lead because of that. Maybe if they win he's a Stajan-like hero with his team advancing to round 3. Instead, he's seen as a guy on the sharp decline and can't get a contract. That potential series winner might have gotten him a couple million.

Strange Brew
08-12-2015, 06:04 PM
Sure strikes me as a good guy and hope it works out for him. The healthy scratches were a huge blow to his value in free agency.

calgaryblood
08-12-2015, 06:52 PM
I think his time with the Caps was pretty much exactly how his whole career in Calgary played out. Started off with wondering how Edmonton ever let him go then slowly he would become inconsistent for stretches and then make you again wonder how Edmonton ever let him go. The Caps loved him when he first arrived and I remember a Russian player on the Caps was talking to a media member and said he doesn't know why Calgary traded him that he was great. That was the problem for Glencross, when he was on he would be one of the best players on the team, on any team. But he had bad stretches for whatever reason but he was still a great player for us and I wish him the best.

StrykerSteve
08-12-2015, 07:05 PM
Glencross didn't play that well with the Caps, but dont' forget he almost scored the series clenching goal in round 2, only for his team to crap the bed in the final 2 minutes and the team eventually lost their 3-1 series lead because of that. Maybe if they win he's a Stajan-like hero with his team advancing to round 3. Instead, he's seen as a guy on the sharp decline and can't get a contract. That potential series winner might have gotten him a couple million.

To be fair, iirc while he scored the almost series clinching goal, he was also the goat later in the game.

IamNotKenKing
08-12-2015, 07:30 PM
I was really impressed that the Flames were able to move him before the deadline. If KK was still running the show, they would have been a big fat contract for five years with a NTC. In a cap world you need to move out the expensive older players and replace them with cheaper younger players. Drafting and player development are key.

And past history suggests this how?

AcGold
08-12-2015, 09:08 PM
The only issue with Glencross was that way too much was expected of him. His best season was 48 points and there was this expectation of him to be better than that for some reason.

At his peak he would be a struggling second liner but there was a disparity between what he was and what he was supposed to be.

Also... 99% of players want more ice time, saying he wanted to play more is hardly a travesty.

bubbsy
08-13-2015, 04:39 AM
sometimes a team and a player need to move on, not sure why we gotta hate on the guy once he's gone.

Glencross was such an amazing find by Sutter. It was even sweeter that we basically grabbed him from the oilers, and he ended up being such a vital part of the playoff teams in calgary over the last decade.

I will admit his button hooks once he got into the offensive zone made me throw the remote control a few times, and when he tried to play a too skilled game he got away from exactly what made him a great player (speed, physicality).

On a personal level, seems like an awesome guy, who did tons in the community.

Flames were lucky to have him, and hope he lands somewhere and really competes for the cup during likely his last few years i the NHL.

T@T
08-13-2015, 05:23 AM
Steinberg- so what has the summer been like for you? (bait trap)

Glencross- well, it's been stressful trying to find a job, free agent market is tough this year.

Steinberg- so, tell me.. just how stressful has it been this off-season?.:rolleyes:

Just shut it Steinberg, your an embarrassing dork.

I know many here like him but personally I want to ask him someday how stressful it is looking for a new radio job now that he's not living in his mothers basement and has a mortgage.

Da_Chief
08-13-2015, 05:42 AM
Steinberg- so what has the summer been like for you? (bait trap)

Glencross- well, it's been stressful trying to find a job, free agent market is tough this year.

Steinberg- so, tell me.. just how stressful has it been this off-season?.:rolleyes:

Just shut it Steinberg, your an embarrassing dork.

I know many here like him but personally I want to ask him someday how stressful it is looking for a new radio job now that he's not living in his mothers basement and has a mortgage.

Huh? you're a dork. What do you want him asking him? The boring cliches?

The fact is Glencross is going through what thousands of regular folks are going through everyday and especially right now with our economy, kinda speaks for all.

dustygoon
08-13-2015, 08:55 AM
Steinberg....seems like nice guy, keen and knows this team. But he doesn't know how to conduct an interview. He is terrible at it and not getting better.

Strange Brew
08-13-2015, 08:57 AM
Steinberg....seems like nice guy, keen and knows this team. But he doesn't know how to conduct an interview. He is terrible at it and not getting better.

What do you mean, man?

Sec218
08-13-2015, 09:22 AM

I agree, everything sounds so scripted. He's worse than the Sun Junior reporter.

undercoverbrother
08-13-2015, 09:26 AM
It was really nice to hear Glencross yesterday.

I really like how he talked about keeping in touch with families he had encountered doing charity work.

He comes across as a down to earth guy and the people that I know that know him confirm this.

CaptainCrunch
08-13-2015, 09:30 AM
I still think he ends up in Vancouver, that forward group is terrible.

Fire of the Phoenix
08-13-2015, 09:36 AM
I still think he ends up in Vancouver, that forward group is terrible.

Baertschi would be a sad panda if that happened

BACKCHECK!!!
08-13-2015, 09:59 AM
Lots of room for a guy like Glencross on a lot of teams, but he might be looking at a $1m-$2M contract, with not much term.

Hopefully he stays in the Pacific Division, so he can score on the Oilers 5+ times per season.

GioforPM
08-13-2015, 10:35 AM
Lots of room for a guy like Glencross on a lot of teams, but he might be looking at a $1m-$2M contract, with not much term.

Hopefully he stays in the Pacific Division, so he can score on the Oilers 5+ times per season.

I'm betting he is as close to home as possible. If the Oil had any brains they'd sign him. Partly as a defensive measure because he's killed them in the past.

Vancouver is a candidate, and I imagine Sutter would like to have him in LA.

BigRed
08-13-2015, 10:43 AM
Anyone thinking the Sharks? They're on their way to a rebuild but they need some vets to flesh out the roster.

I also thought Winnipeg, in losing Frolik, could use an established winger with some offensive upside. But maybe they're making space for prospects.

dino7c
08-13-2015, 11:11 AM
honestly I hope he saved some money because I don't think he will be in the NHL much longer. Personally he seems like a great guy but I think the game has passed him by at the NHL level.

nieuwy-89
08-13-2015, 11:14 AM
It astounds me that the Oilers haven't signed him. He is exactly what they need - some grit, leadership and depth scoring. It would suck to see him in an Oilers jersey but from a hockey standpoint and personal standpoint for Curtis it makes total sense.

Erick Estrada
08-13-2015, 11:40 AM
Maybe it's possible he's got a few solid offers on the table with teams that are maybe further from home than he would like and he's holding out for Edmonton or Vancouver? He's still a useful player that could help any team looking to bolster it's bottom 6 and occasionally fill in on the 2nd line.

Benched
08-13-2015, 11:43 AM
Lots of things to like about Glenny. Just wasn't a fit here in Calgary in the team's make up any longer.

Wish him a lot of success, as long as he's not wearing a Canuck or Oiler jersey.

Weitz
08-13-2015, 11:46 AM
I think Edmonton has zero interest in Glencross.

Enoch Root
08-13-2015, 11:52 AM
that would make sense, since he is just the kind of experienced, gritty, bottom 6 player they need

Flash Walken
08-13-2015, 11:53 AM
Is Glencross still gritty?

Enoch Root
08-13-2015, 11:56 AM
Is Glencross still gritty?

by Oiler standards? Extremely.

dino7c
08-13-2015, 12:00 PM
Maybe it's possible he's got a few solid offers on the table with teams that are maybe further from home than he would like and he's holding out for Edmonton or Vancouver? He's still a useful player that could help any team looking to bolster it's bottom 6 and occasionally fill in on the 2nd line.

he likely has offers but they are probably pretty low on dollars and term

Weitz
08-13-2015, 12:08 PM
that would make sense, since he is just the kind of experienced, gritty, bottom 6 player they need

Based on his play last year he wouldn't be remotely close to worth the contract he is likely demanding. If he was willing to take a 1 million or less 1 or 2 year deal I am sure Edmonton would have signed him by now.

My guess is he wants 3+ years at 2 million+

Erick Estrada
08-13-2015, 12:08 PM
he likely has offers but they are probably pretty low on dollars and term

Absolutely and it's probably him holding out as long as possible before making a decision on which team/location is best for him and his family. IMO if he picks the right team on a one year "show me" deal he could parlay it into a better contract the next offseason but it's a matter of going to a team where he feels he will get the ice time.

Locke
08-13-2015, 12:41 PM
Anyone thinking the Sharks? They're on their way to a rebuild but they need some vets to flesh out the roster.

I also thought Winnipeg, in losing Frolik, could use an established winger with some offensive upside. But maybe they're making space for prospects.

The pursestrings might be too tight in Winnipeg, but Glencross is still a very serviceable and relatively inexpensive, productive NHL winger for probably at least a year or two.

I hate to say it, but I think hes asking too much, for the right dollars I'd think teams would be lining up to sign him.

Flash Walken
08-13-2015, 01:04 PM
This is one of the worst possible auditions you could have prior to Free Agency:

Izcfzaq5Uhk

1 Goal in 10 playoff games, scratched for 2 games, goat on the OT winner against.

T@T
08-13-2015, 01:29 PM
Huh? you're a dork. What do you want him asking him? The boring cliches?

The fact is Glencross is going through what thousands of regular folks are going through everyday and especially right now with our economy, kinda speaks for all.
How about you try listening to the interview before calling me the dork?

Steinburg is the worst interview in sports, time and time again he asks a question that has already been previously answered, I would bet he has some form of ADD because he never listens.

northcrunk
08-13-2015, 02:02 PM
How about you try listening to the interview before calling me the dork?

Steinburg is the worst interview in sports, time and time again he asks a question that has already been previously answered, I would bet he has some form of ADD because he never listens.

I agree Steinberg needs work on his questioning in interviews. His questions are definatly pretty weak but I like the guy and hope he continues to work on it. I think your criticism is definatly valid though.

CroFlames
08-13-2015, 02:17 PM
There's definitely TV and radio personalities who've been able to improve a lot from year to year. I hope Steiner can get there.

Kypreos sticks out for me. Weekes honorable mention, just because he was atrocious to start off. Can't get any worse LOL.

And some that spin their tires.

Healy, Stock and a few others.

jayswin
08-15-2015, 06:55 PM
honestly I hope he saved some money because I don't think he will be in the NHL much longer. Personally he seems like a great guy but I think the game has passed him by at the NHL level.

He's earned $15.6 mil so far in his career, and also seems like a very down to earth, smart minded guy.

It's possible he could have spent millions upon millions on depreciating assets and luxuries, but to me he doesn't come across as the guy upgrading to the newest Ferrari each year and throwing millions away on whatever comes to his mind.

I picture him as the humble rancher type who likely put a few million into a nice Alberta ranch and an expensive vehicle or two, but otherwise saved and invested a large percentage of his earnings, and had a long term plan even at the beginning when he had only earned a couple mil.

dino7c
08-15-2015, 07:14 PM
He's earned $15.6 mil so far in his career, and also seems like a very down to earth, smart minded guy.

It's possible he could have spent millions upon millions on depreciating assets and luxuries, but to me he doesn't come across as the guy upgrading to the newest Ferrari each year and throwing millions away on whatever comes to his mind.

I picture him as the humble rancher type who likely put a few million into a nice Alberta ranch and an expensive vehicle or two, but otherwise saved and invested a large percentage of his earnings, and had a long term plan even at the beginning when he had only earned a couple mil.

hope so, sometimes when people expect a big windfall coming up they spend like drunken sailors....guy will be making a fraction of what he though he would be. Less than a year ago he was talking about not taking a home town discount afterall

jayswin
08-15-2015, 07:25 PM
hope so, sometimes when people expect a big windfall coming up they spend like drunken sailors....guy will be making a fraction of what he though he would be. Less than a year ago he was talking about not taking a home town discount afterall

Yeah, that's true, at around Christmas last year he was likely planning to basically double his entire career earnings this summer, at minimum.

I still think he's a humble, smart guy who has been financial responsible his whole way through life, but you certainly bring up a good point about what was expected vs what he's looking at now.

doctajones428
08-15-2015, 08:04 PM
Rene Bourque 2.0

Wastedyouth
08-16-2015, 11:49 AM

He is pretty much exactly as you describe. Although not humble by any means, he isn't a dick head.

btimbit
08-19-2015, 04:33 PM
Eklund saying Glencross is going to have a tryout with the Av's

http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog.php?blogger_id=1

Fire
08-19-2015, 04:45 PM
Ouch if true. No one is even willing to give him a one year deal.

dieHARDflameZ
08-19-2015, 04:50 PM
Honestly, I'm not overly surprised. He is a shade of his former self. This is my opinion of course.

IgiTang
08-19-2015, 05:18 PM
Lol...

Strange Brew
08-19-2015, 05:30 PM
Seriously - a tryout? Wow.

What a trade by BT.

kyuss275
08-19-2015, 07:08 PM
I know he was terrible with Washington, but to not even get a 1 year contract seems a little weird. The main thing i am taking from this if true ,is that Mason Raymond, even at 50% eaten salary, is untradeable.

Flash Walken
08-19-2015, 07:19 PM
I know he was terrible with Washington, but to not even get a 1 year contract seems a little weird. The main thing i am taking from this if true ,is that Mason Raymond, even at 50% eaten salary, is untradeable.

I think there are questions about attitude/consistency which is preventing a team from giving him a year without an audition.

Strange Brew
08-19-2015, 07:20 PM
You may be right on Raymond. That 3rd year on his contract is the problem.

Clarkey
08-19-2015, 07:35 PM
Guys, Glencross went on the Fan to promote his very admirable charity event. Pat handled it with class, what was he supposed to do ambush him with a bunch of hard hitting questions on free agency? He asked just enough to stay respectful and that's fine. Steinberg isn't in a Michael Landsberg situation where he has the audience to get away with asking antagonizing deep cutting questions, it's 4:30 in the afternoon on the Fan.

kyuss275
08-19-2015, 07:39 PM
I think there are questions about attitude/consistency which is preventing a team from giving him a year without an audition.

If Semin can get a one year deal, then i would think Glencross could have gotten it also. I wonder if him and his agent asked for to much at the beginning and didn't back down until it was to late?

darthma
08-19-2015, 07:55 PM
Seriously - a tryout? Wow.

What a trade by BT.

Folks, let's not get carried away - he said EKLUND said it.

But yes, it was a great trade by GMBT.

Gaskal
08-19-2015, 08:07 PM
Is the Colorado Avalanche the boneyard for aging Calgary ex-vets??

Sarich, Tanguay, Iggy, Berra, now Glencross on a PTO.

mrdonkey
08-19-2015, 08:07 PM
Is the Colorado Avalanche the boneyard for aging Calgary ex-vets??

Sarich, Tanguay, Iggy, Berra, now Glencross on a PTO.

Don't forget Comeau!

Wonder what Brent Sutter is up to these days.

neo45
08-19-2015, 08:09 PM
This is why I am not too concerned about expansion diluting league talent. If a guy as good as Glencross has to show up to camp to earn a contract, then the league has 50 extra spots for players. Role players are getting better over time now as well

JiriHrdina
08-19-2015, 08:43 PM
Wonder if he was offered deals from other teams but wanted to stay West

Gaskal
08-19-2015, 09:19 PM
Don't forget Comeau!

Wonder what Brent Sutter is up to these days.
Maybe they'll take Wideman off our hands. That blueline is pretty ugly, they could use him. Package Stajan in there too.

Then every time we play the Avs it'll be like 2006-2009 Flames vs the new and improved Flames. Let the games begin!

http://deathmarked.info/wp-content/uploads/2011/12/lol-guy1.jpg

btimbit
08-19-2015, 09:47 PM
They should sign Jokinen while they're at it too

Strange Brew
08-19-2015, 09:52 PM
Wonder if he was offered deals from other teams but wanted to stay West

Turning down a contract for a tryout would take a pair, to be sure. On the radio last week, he didn't sound like a guy weighing his options.

As a previous poster said, this is Eklund. But unlike some grand trade proposal, this seems like an odd thing to make up.

JiriHrdina
08-19-2015, 10:07 PM
Turning down a contract for a tryout would take a pair, to be sure. On the radio last week, he didn't sound like a guy weighing his options.

As a previous poster said, this is Eklund. But unlike some grand trade proposal, this seems like an odd thing to make up.

Perhaps but I also don't think Glencross is your typical hockey player. He has a lot of interests, business and personal, outside of hockey that may be quite important to him.

sureLoss
08-19-2015, 10:18 PM
To be clear Eklund isn't even making this up.

It is an unsourced twiiter rumor since August 13 among Avalanche fans.

http://www.sports303.com/2015/08/13/rumor-curtis-glencross-could-try-out-for-colorado-avalanche/

dino7c
08-19-2015, 10:26 PM
Perhaps but I also don't think Glencross is your typical hockey player. He has a lot of interests, business and personal, outside of hockey that may be quite important to him.

he could have signed a multi-year deal with the Flames last summer but wasn't willing to take a "home town discount" I realize things change but I highly doubt he is passing on guaranteed money

assuming its true, not that surprising though with the way the league is going

Freeway
08-19-2015, 10:46 PM
he could have signed a multi-year deal with the Flames last summer but wasn't willing to take a "home town discount" I realize things change but I highly doubt he is passing on guaranteed money

assuming its true, not that surprising though with the way the league is going

I'm not sure about that. Treliving seemed hesitant to throw long-term deals around before he had the chance to evaluate the group he had.

#-3
08-19-2015, 10:48 PM
To be clear Eklund isn't even making this up.

It is an unsourced twiiter rumor since August 13 among Avalanche fans.

http://www.sports303.com/2015/08/13/rumor-curtis-glencross-could-try-out-for-colorado-avalanche/

Its possible Glenny conditionally accepted the PTO conditional on no real offer arriving in the next 4 weeks. we probably wont hear anything official until rookie camps are underway.

Flash Walken
08-20-2015, 08:48 AM
If Semin can get a one year deal, then i would think Glencross could have gotten it also. I wonder if him and his agent asked for to much at the beginning and didn't back down until it was to late?

Career High Points, Semin: 84
Career High Points, Glencross:48

ColoradoFlamesFan
08-20-2015, 11:03 AM
Maybe they'll take Wideman off our hands. That blueline is pretty ugly, they could use him. Package Stajan in there too.

Then every time we play the Avs it'll be like 2006-2009 Flames vs the new and improved Flames. Let the games begin!

http://deathmarked.info/wp-content/uploads/2011/12/lol-guy1.jpg

I could go to the Av's games, close my eyes and pretend I was at the saddledome...

Locke
08-20-2015, 11:10 AM
So is the info that hes looking at a PTO with the Avs legit?

I cant believe he cant get a contract somewhere, the guy is still a good player.

Vinny01
08-20-2015, 11:21 AM
If he signs with the Avs they would have Iggy, Tangs, Glencross, Stuart and Comeau who were flames in the 07-12 range Personally I hate what the Avs have done this summer. I think they got some decent assets for RoR if Zadorov or Grigerenko can pan out. Not a fan of the Soderberg contract or signing a 35 year old Beauchiman to be a top pairing Dman.

They still have some deadly young forwards but too many gray beards on the roster

Erick Estrada
08-20-2015, 12:38 PM
I'm pretty sure there was a time when the Flames talked contract extension with Glencross and it sounded like asking price was more than the Flames were willing to pay hence them shopping him at the deadline. I imagine whatever the Flames were offering would look pretty good now.

I hope he does well in Denver and earns a contract as it's probably a decent city for him in that its somewhat similar to Calgary.

Locke
08-20-2015, 12:53 PM
I'm pretty sure there was a time when the Flames talked contract extension with Glencross and it sounded like asking price was more than the Flames were willing to pay hence them shopping him at the deadline. I imagine whatever the Flames were offering would look pretty good now.

I hope he does well in Denver and earns a contract as it's probably a decent city for him in that its somewhat similar to Calgary.

Yeah, unfortunately even if they could come to an agreement about the dollars there is no longer a vacancy. His spot here has been filled.

dino7c
08-20-2015, 12:58 PM
Yeah, unfortunately even if they could come to an agreement about the dollars there is no longer a vacancy. His spot here has been filled.

I would say its fortunate that the Flames are no longer counting on players like Glencross

Fire of the Phoenix
08-20-2015, 01:03 PM
So is the info that hes looking at a PTO with the Avs legit?

I cant believe he cant get a contract somewhere, the guy is still a good player.

At this point he is a third liner at best who is 32 years old. He probably could get a modest 1 year deal but isn't willing to accept that is my guess. The league is quickly turning into a 30 and under league, so he's kind of in an awkward situation and a victim of bad timing. He's still useful but teams (with good GMs) aren't going going to commit term and big money to a guy like him (ageing, average 3rd liner), especially coming off a bad year. He's probably going to have to accept a series of 1 year, 2m or less contracts from here on out unless he can put up a monster season in 15/16.

Benched
08-20-2015, 01:07 PM
at least it's Colorado and not Edmonton...

Locke
08-20-2015, 01:08 PM
I would say its fortunate that the Flames are no longer counting on players like Glencross

I meant unfortunate for him. I like Glencross.

But yes, it does indicate that the team is on an upswing when a good serviceable player cant make the team.

At this point he is a third liner at best who is 32 years old. He probably could get a modest 1 year deal but isn't willing to accept that is my guess. The league is quickly turning into a 30 and under league, so he's kind of in an awkward situation and a victim of bad timing. He's still useful but teams (with good GMs) aren't going going to commit term and big money to a guy like him (ageing, average 3rd liner), especially coming off a bad year. He's probably going to have to accept a series of 1 year, 2m or less contracts from here on out unless he can put up a monster season in 15/16.

I totally agree, so where are those 1 and 2 year small-dollar contracts? Those are a far cry from PTOs!

You're not taking PTos at 32 if there are offers on the table.

Fire of the Phoenix
08-20-2015, 01:17 PM
I meant unfortunate for him. I like Glencross.

But yes, it does indicate that the team is on an upswing when a good serviceable player cant make the team.

I totally agree, so where are those 1 and 2 year small-dollar contracts? Those are a far cry from PTOs!

You're not taking PTos at 32 if there are offers on the table.
He probably is still holding out for something better but trying to have a backup plan as well. For all we know Sakic has promised him 1 year 3m if he has a good camp. Multi year is likely most important to him so I bet he's still hoping for that.

Flash Walken
08-20-2015, 01:56 PM
I think there's some rose coloured glasses going on here in regards to Glencross.

He was a legacy player on the team this year, a guy who got to play because he already had a contract. The team got better once he was gone.

He had a terrible showing in Washington that reinforced the same issues he was plagued with his entire NHL career: Consistency and effort. He had a few years with a wicked shooting percentage that allowed those issues to be covered up but with his shooting percentage dropping precipitously from 23% to 16% to 15% to 10% in his last 4 seasons with Calgary, it became more and more difficult to ignore some of the more glaring parts of his game.

He had a great start with Washington scoring 5 goals in his first 7 games with the club, but then went 19 games without scoring a goal, only contributing a single assist in that time, to the point of being a healthy scratch.

How do you go 19 games without a goal but still maintain a 19% shooting percentage? You take 4 shots total in the final 11 games of the regular season.

4 Shots in 11 games, that's brutal. Brandon Bollig had 11 shots in the final 11 games of the season for Calgary. Mason Raymond had more than 20 shots in the final 11 games of the season.

Glencross is probably a nice guy, affable, good in the community, but his worth as a professional hockey player in the NHL at this point is seriously in doubt.

Stay Golden
08-20-2015, 02:08 PM
Oh Glencross you have a great personality away from the game.
But this is what happens when you go from scoreface to not scoring and moping with your body language about a diminished role on a team.
Glencross has to understand he did this to himself and if it is because he has lost a couple steps or whatever he has to acknowledge that and adjust his $ demands and embrace what will be his new his role for a team.

bax
08-20-2015, 02:33 PM
Oh Glencross you have a great personality away from the game.
But this is what happens when you go from scoreface to not scoring and moping with your body language about a diminished role on a team.
Glencross has to understand he did this to himself and if it is because he has lost a couple steps or whatever he has to acknowledge that and adjust his $ demands and embrace what will be his new his role for a team.

Posts like this make me laugh. You have no idea what is going on in Glencross' mind or what he needs to do. I'm sure he will handle himself just fine.

The moping comment is also uncalled for.

TheDebaser
08-20-2015, 04:02 PM
Lots of hate for a guy who was very underpaid for a long time for what he brought to this team. He was never an allstar, but he never made all star money. Glencross was awesome and I've got tons of fond memories of the guy, not sure why some people are getting a dose of schadenfreude from his recent struggles.

Hope he turns it around in Colorado. (AKA Calgary's retirement home apparently.)

dash_pinched
08-20-2015, 04:10 PM
My favourite Glencross gif...

http://www.recklesscaution.com/misc_hockey/gagner_fail.gif

dammage79
08-20-2015, 07:43 PM
I feel for Glencross, went from looking for a decent 4m (IIRC) a year medium term retirement contract to desperately seeking a roster spot. I do hope he can earn a roster spot on his tryout but COL seems like a bad choice given their top 9 depth.

Either way, good luck. I honestly had no desire to see him with the Flames past the trade deadline but the climate changed in the NHL FA market so fast it's left more than a few good players hanging in the wind.

Clarkey
08-20-2015, 08:34 PM
Has a player ever signed a partial season contract e.g. 20 games for x amount?

sureLoss
08-20-2015, 08:48 PM
Has a player ever signed a partial season contract e.g. 20 games for x amount?

No such thing in the NHL. All players sign for the full season or the remainder of the season. Only exception is the one day contract for an emergency backup if the team can't get anyone that they have under contract to the rink in time for a game.

Flash Walken
08-21-2015, 12:04 AM
pdk5usACJzU

Acquisition cost? Marian Hossa's phone number.

Poe969
08-21-2015, 07:00 AM
Lots of hate for a guy who was very underpaid for a long time for what he brought to this team. He was never an allstar, but he never made all star money. Glencross was awesome and I've got tons of fond memories of the guy, not sure why some people are getting a dose of schadenfreude from his recent struggles.

Hope he turns it around in Colorado. (AKA Calgary's retirement home apparently.)

I don't think it's hate that people are showing towards him, it's more just a response to those who think we should sign him or he deserves more or that he's still a top 6 player or have clouded judgement due to what he did in the past.

I agree that in the past he gave 110% every shift and was a buzz saw that would score and hit and do everything needed to win games. He was. WAS. In the past couple/few years though, he hasn't shown that he even deserves to be on the team. He wasn't great and for all the good that he did (on ice), you could argue that he did as much negatively. Plays seemed to die on his stick, he'd take bad penalties, show little to no effort and he almost had a sense of entitlement while talking about how he played above his contract in the past. He was an amazing person off the ice for the community and I'm sure some around here met him and have amazing memories of him off the ice but that doesn't really help the team win games.

You have to look at the NHL as a business that puts you in direct competition with 29 other teams all with the same goal in mind, winning. Glencross will not help this team win and the fact that he hasn't got a contract yet shows that a lot of other teams think the same. Sure, he could have 20 offers of 5 years at 4 mil per on the table but he's just holding out for a better deal or a deal from a different team. He could also have no contract offers and no interest from any team other than the avs. You could even argue that the only reason he has a tryout with the avs is because Iggy requested it. No one knows, all we know is that he has no contract right now.

He was great for us in the past, a few years ago. He was a fan favourite and did all kinds of things right and was on an amazing deal. If I could build a time machine and go back in time and give him a contract that was better for him, I would but let me ask you; since he was playing above his contract for a couple years, would it be better if he was getting paid 4-5 mil when he deserved it and then have a couple years of 4-5 mil when he didn't deserve it? Would you have been happy if this past season he was getting 5 mil? I know I wouldn't and I'm sure others feel the same way. The point is, he was a good player and he was on a great deal years ago and he helped the team back then but in the past couple of years how much did he really help the team? The team actually improved when he left last year and the caps really didn't improve at all with him in the lineup (he actually cost them a huge game in the playoffs).

I don't wish him any ill will and I don't hate the guy. I just think the harsh reality of it is that the game has passed him buy and that he's looking to cash in on what he did years ago and not focusing on what he's done recently. I'm sure before long he'll find work with a team but I hope in no way is it with the Flames. I don't think he'd help the team on the ice and from the attitude I've seen from him (regarding the game), I don't think he'd help the team as a coach of any sorts. He'd be a great community member and a fan ambassador but I don't think he'd help the Flames actually win games. I hope he gets a contract that's reasonable for one year and forces him to earn another contract because personally, I think that's the only way you'll get a constant effort from him. If he's forced to prove his worth every year, he could really help some (other) teams.

Vinny01
08-21-2015, 07:33 AM
Glencross was awesome for the Flames. We got him dirt cheap during Darryl Suttrrs best summer as a GM (traded for Cammy, got value for Tangs, traded for Bourque, signed Glencross, brought Gio back, signed Bertuzzi, drafted Brodie and Bouma)

Glencross was a solid player in those early years and then followed up with a nice contract where he put produced his cap hit for 3 of the 4 years. In the last year he worked with the team to find a trade partner and waived for s team that was not originally on his list. The Flames get a fantastic return and use those picks to help land Hamilton and Kylington. Glencross's impact on the Flames can only be looked at as positive. Hope he lands somewhere where he can extend his career another few years

Erick Estrada
08-21-2015, 08:23 AM
I think there's some rose coloured glasses going on here in regards to Glencross.

I don't think so. Yes some overrated his skills but IMO the problem with Glencross was more a Flames problem than a Glencross problem as once the team started rebuilding there was a couple of years where the offensive talent was low to the point he was now being counted on to perform as a top 6 forward. Anytime you start giving a 3rd line player 1st or 2nd line ice time his shortcomings are going to be exposed and that's what happened. He was exposed as a guy that given more ice time had issues maintaining effort and consistency. Unfortunately even last year when it was painfully apparent that he was bringing down Monahan it still took Hartley a few months to make the correction and play him with more skilled players in Hudler and Gaudreau. To this day I still don't understand why Glencross was getting top 6 ice time last year as the "earned not given" motto never seemed to apply to Glencross which again was not Glencross's fault. I agree the team got better after he was traded but I'm not going to kick him when he's down as he was a great sparkplug for this team early in his tenure as a Flame.

Strange Brew
08-21-2015, 08:49 AM
I am also a little surprised at the negativity around Glencross here. He made some valuable contributions to the Flames but like a lot of mid tier NHL players he was inconsistent. At the trade deadline, there was enough interest in him that the Flames were able to get two solid draft picks in a very deep draft. That tells me he was coveted by several teams.

His play at the end of the season for the Capitals was awful and I don't know exactly why that is. It certainly is costing him a lot of money.

Lots of implied criticism of Hartley for giving Glencross the ice time he received. At the end of the day, the team was not much better or worse without him, which is probably true of a lot of 2nd/3rd line players.

CroFlames
08-21-2015, 09:25 AM
pdk5usACJzU

Acquisition cost? Marian Hossa's phone number.

I would like murder someone if I was an Oiler fan watching that defense year after year. Enough to drive a guy legitimately crazy.

Watching some lackadaisical defence in the late Iggy years was painful, but Oilers invented a new level of sucky defence. Unbearable.

But I digress, carry on :)

Flash Walken
08-21-2015, 11:19 AM
j61OnYb2qTg

Hackey
08-21-2015, 11:27 AM
It's crazy how there were a lot of predictions of him seeing 5 million+ this off season and in an instant the guy can't even get a contract. Thank god we dealt him.

ricardodw
08-21-2015, 11:59 AM
I don't think so. Yes some overrated his skills but IMO the problem with Glencross was more a Flames problem than a Glencross problem as once the team started rebuilding there was a couple of years where the offensive talent was low to the point he was now being counted on to perform as a top 6 forward. Anytime you start giving a 3rd line player 1st or 2nd line ice time his shortcomings are going to be exposed and that's what happened. He was exposed as a guy that given more ice time had issues maintaining effort and consistency. Unfortunately even last year when it was painfully apparent that he was bringing down Monahan it still took Hartley a few months to make the correction and play him with more skilled players in Hudler and Gaudreau. To this day I still don't understand why Glencross was getting top 6 ice time last year as the "earned not given" motto never seemed to apply to Glencross which again was not Glencross's fault. I agree the team got better after he was traded but I'm not going to kick him when he's down as he was a great sparkplug for this team early in his tenure as a Flame.

The team got better after losing Gio as well. Find some meaning in that.

Check out Monahan's top linemates before Gaudreau ... Glencross, David Jones, Hudler, Bouma and Colborne.

Ranked by hits these would be 4 out of 5 of the Flames most aggressive forwards... Bollig was the only "beef" guy missing.

I give a lot of credit to Hartley for not forcing Monahan to be responsible for the dirty work on his line as a youngster adapting to the league. Monahan is a talent player.... not a cruncher.

It will be interesting to see how Gaudreau-Monahan-Hudler plays out once other teams get to study the films and tendencies and force the play to the boards.

Hudler gets a lot of credit as a mentor for Monahan and Gaudreau... Glencross the assistant captain and linemate gets panned for slowing Monahan's development?????

bax
08-21-2015, 12:02 PM
It's crazy how there were a lot of predictions of him seeing 5 million+ this off season and in an instant the guy can't even get a contract. Thank god we dealt him.

I don't think there were any 5 million dollar predictions? Unless I just missed all of those lol

united
08-21-2015, 12:23 PM
It's tough for him now it's common knowledge he has to wear a brace on each of his knees. Teams have health and longevity concerns, not to mention declining speed.

He was such an effective player at a sweetheart discount, but in today's game, which is all about speed, losing a step can throw your whole game off. And especially when you weren't very disciplined in terms of penalty taking when you were quicker. Tough to see, especially knowing he cost himself a chunk of money to stay and try and win with the Flames.

Locke
08-21-2015, 12:30 PM
It's tough for him now it's common knowledge he has to wear a brace on each of his knees. Teams have health and longevity concerns, not to mention declining speed.

He was such an effective player at a sweetheart discount, but in today's game, which is all about speed, losing a step can throw your whole game off. And especially when you weren't very disciplined in terms of penalty taking when you were quicker. Tough to see, especially knowing he cost himself a chunk of money to stay and try and win with the Flames.

I hadnt heard that, but didnt Robyn Regehr play with braces on both knees for most of his career? And he was a mean SOB, that had to have taken its toll.

killer_carlson
08-21-2015, 12:41 PM
I don't think there were any 5 million dollar predictions? Unless I just missed all of those lol

I was one who thought he would cash in big time. Clearly i'm mistaken.

There were so few left wingers on the market and he was the #2 available after Belesky.

sureLoss
08-28-2015, 06:49 PM
Glencross says several teams have offered him a PTO. Also a few teams have told him they might be able to fit him in but need to make a trade first.

http://www.calgarysun.com/2015/08/28/no-one-more-surprised-than-former-calgary-flames-forward-curtis-glencross-how-free-agency-has-worked-out

It is amazing how hard it has become for him to find a spot.

FlamesPuck12
08-29-2015, 02:38 PM
Glencross regrets taking a hometown discount with the Flames

http://www.thescore.com/nhl/news/818687

"If I could do it again ... as much as I love (Calgary) and call it home and met great people, at the same time, when it's time for you to cash in, you have to take advantage and cash in," he told Eric Francis of the Calgary Sun. "You can't take a pay cut or hometown discount because things change."

Jbo
08-29-2015, 02:41 PM
Ughh hate to see that. I used to love score face...but here's an idea Glencross, maybe it was your crappy, floaty play, and (perceived) attitude in your last season as a Flame and capital that led to you not getting a big contract. I mean you were scratched in the playoffs more then a couple times.

MrMastodonFarm
08-29-2015, 02:43 PM
Then again we've seen the flip side of that. A guy like Fleury wishes he hadn't taken advantage and cashed in and just stayed "home". Glencross just comes across as a grump.

FlamesAddiction
08-29-2015, 02:45 PM
Ughh hate to see that. I used to love score face...but here's an idea Glencross, maybe it was your crappy, floaty play, and (perceived) attitude in your last season as a Flame and capital that led to you not getting a big contract. I mean you were scratched in the playoffs more then a couple times.

I didn't take it as laying blame on anyone. He obviously thought that he would have kept up better and would have a higher earning potential than he apparently does. Like he said, things can change and you need to take advantage of it from a business perspective when you have the oppotunity.

I hope he catches on and vindicates himself. Whoever signs him, I think they are going to see a very motivated player this time.

bax
08-29-2015, 02:46 PM

I think he knows that. His comment is about taking a hometown discount with the Flames 4 years ago, which he definitely did.

jayswin
08-29-2015, 02:46 PM

That's fair. I know some will take it as more whining, but he seems like a very genuine person and likely did look around at our lineup and went "I'm going to take a little less now so we can keep this roster together" then I'll make my money later.

Unfortunately only star players should be taking hometown discounts, you just simply can't rely on anything happening when you're a role player and getting a couple mil a year. In that position you should be taking what you can get, this business will spit you out as soon as it's done with you, taking nothing you've done in the past into account.

Locke
08-29-2015, 03:09 PM
Then again we've seen the flip side of that. A guy like Fleury wishes he hadn't taken advantage and cashed in and just stayed "home". Glencross just comes across as a grump.

You really have to weigh the pros and cons, realistically one could make the argument that if not for that home-town discounted contract would Glencross even be where he is now? Its not like teams were battering his door down before, he was a good fit at a good time.

Make no mistake, I think the team got the better end of Glencross' contract, but that doesnt mean that it always goes that way.

MrMastodonFarm
08-29-2015, 03:17 PM
Glencross was not drafted, bounced around four teams established himself in Calgary and instead of going to a 5th team he got term and a no trade from the Flames. He probably could have gotten more that summer but when you get term, when you get a no trade.. You give up cash.

Never thought it was as much of a discount as some.

mikeecho
08-29-2015, 03:22 PM
Caveat: I'm sure he's a great guy and he clearly does a lot for the community, etc... I appreciate that and respect him for that.

Regarding the on ice version, IMHO at his prime Glencross was a guy with fringe NHL talent that was more than off set by work ethic, effort and physicality. When he replaced those traits with laziness, lack of on ice discipline and a seeming level of entitlement, he doomed himself.

It's also pretty telling that he's a few weeks from the start of training camps and he's dwelling on a contract he signed 4 years ago, as opposed to focusing on the upcoming season and getting his career (which has been on the slide for the last 2 years) back on track.

That contract worked for him when he signed it and his current lack of contract is primarily driven because of his recent play. I've always felt like he was a guy who scored 20+ goals as opposed to a 20+ goal scorer.

bax
08-29-2015, 03:25 PM
Caveat: I'm sure he's a great guy and he clearly does a lot for the community, etc... I appreciate that and respect him for that.

Regarding the on ice version, IMHO at his prime Glencross was a guy with fringe NHL talent that was more than off set by work ethic, effort and physicality. When he replaced those traits with laziness, lack of on ice discipline and a seeming level of entitlement, he doomed himself.

It's also pretty telling that he's a few weeks from the start of training camps and he's dwelling on a contract he signed 4 years ago, as opposed to focusing on the upcoming season and getting his career (which has been on the slide for the last 2 years) back on track.

That contract worked for him when he signed it and his current lack of contract is primarily driven because of his recent play. I've always felt like he was a guy who scored 20+ goals as opposed to a 20+ goal scorer.

I don't think he's dwelling on anything. By reading the article it seems pretty clear that he was asked some specific questions.

Regardless I hope he gets a chance to prove himself

mikeecho
08-29-2015, 03:39 PM
A significant part of that article was about that contract and the majority of it was in his words. Even if asked about it, he chose to spend a lot of time talking about it and how he wouldn't have signed it, etc...

Had he said that it's in the past, he's looking forward and ready to get things back on track, I'd respect that and think he was in a good place to move his career forward.

I wish him well, but I just don't see it.

heep223
08-29-2015, 03:52 PM
I doubt he's dwelling on it, I think he just openly speaks his mind more than most. I'm sure most guys in his situation would feel the same way but just give a canned, boring response.

Oling_Roachinen
08-29-2015, 04:01 PM
I got no issue with him talking about taking a discount when he did. Based on the free agency crop that year, he probably did take somewhere between a 6M to 8M discount, without factoring in the NMC at least. Which is significant when the deal he signed was just north of 10M.

Glencross (Age 29):
2009-2010: 15-17-33 (67 Games)
2010-2011: 24-19-43 (79 Games)
Signed: 2.6M/4 years

Fleischmann (Age 27):
2009-2010: 23-28-51 (69 Games)
2010-2011: 12-19-31 (45 Games)
Signed: 4.5M/4 years

Leino (Age 28):
2009-2010: 6-5-11 (55 Games)
2010-2011: 19-34-53 (81 Games)
Signed: 4.5M/6 years

Ryder (Age: 31):
2009-2010: 18-15-33 (82 Games)
2010-2011: 18-23-41 (79 Games)
Signed: 3.5M/2 years

Cole (Age 33):
2009-2010: 11-5-16 (40 Games)
2010-2011: 26-26-52 (82 Games)

Ward (Age 31):
2009-2010: 13-31-34 (71 Games)
2010-2011: 10-19-29 (80 Games)
Signed: 3M/4 years

Upshall (Age 28):
2009-2010: 18-14-32 (49 Games)
2010-2011: 22-12-34 (82 Games)
Signed: 3.5M/4 years

Most of the contracts came back to bite the teams in the butt, but it's hard to argue that he didn't leave a significant amount on the table when Leino, a player with exactly one decent regular season (didn't even crack 20 goales) and one good playoffs, was able to get a 27M dollar contract that off-season.

Strange Brew
08-29-2015, 04:10 PM
Hard to conclude from one article that Glecross is dwelling on his prior contract. That would imply he's thinking about it all the time which you cant really derive from one discussion.

Whenever a player takes a "hometown discount", I hope, for their sake, they are doing it for the right reason. If it is worth it to you make less $ to play for a certain team or live in a certain city, then that is great. People in the real world make decisions like that all the time. I'd argue its a foolish decision if you do it thinking you are going to make it back in the long run somehow, or based on some implied promise from your employer.

heep223
08-29-2015, 04:23 PM
I got no issue with him talking about taking a discount when he did. Based on the free agency crop that year, he probably did take somewhere between a 6M to 8M discount, without factoring in the NMC at least. Which is significant when the deal he signed was just north of 10M.

Glencross (Age 29):

Fleischmann (Age 27):

Leino (Age 28):

Cole (Age 33):

Ward (Age 31):

Upshall (Age 28):

Most of the contracts came back to bite the teams in the butt, but it's hard to argue that he didn't leave a significant amount on the table when Leino, a player with exactly one decent regular season (didn't even crack 20 goales) and one good playoffs, was able to get a 27M dollar contract that off-season.

Thanks for doing this, interesting.

Though on the flip side you could argue that all those guys have terrible contracts and Glencross' was actually fair.

T@T
08-29-2015, 04:43 PM

Instead of dwelling on it and trying to get the lost money back maybe he should have negotiated on his play the last few years. teams are smarter with their cap space nowadays, often injured,32 years old and an average of 28 points the last 3 years don't get you anything near $4m.(rumors of his asking price)

Flash Walken
08-29-2015, 06:49 PM
Glencross took less money to stay in Alberta, Calgary specifically.

The NMC and the term both speak to that.

He could have gotten Upshall type money, but he would have had to play in Florida or Phoenix to get it.

Anything after that is buyers remorse or crocodile tears.

Glencross is fortunate he got the opportunity to play with top offensively players in Calgary, his NHL career was over almost before it began.

Freeway
08-29-2015, 08:18 PM
Regarding Glencross' perimeter play in the later parts of his tenure here: he was BEAT UP by the end of his contract. He was a perimeter play because he physically couldn't go into the dirty areas and retrieve the puck like he used to be able to do. That's the reason so many players with that role often have short careers (and really short earning windows).

GettinIggyWithIt
08-30-2015, 07:10 AM
Buyer's remorse, crocodile tears or a player just speaking his mind...whatever the case - I think most of us in his situation would look back at it is a missed opportunity if you left potentially 6 million on the table. He's not in any kind of dire financial need and has made a productive career out of not being drafted but hard to argue with his line of thinking. As the saying goes - hindsight is 20/20. Hopefully Glencross gets a contract because I think he can still contribute as a solid bottom 6 player on a lot of teams. He'll just have to accept that his role has changed.

ricardodw
08-30-2015, 08:23 AM

Glencross (Age 29):

Fleischmann (Age 27):

Leino (Age 28):

Cole (Age 33):

Ward (Age 31):

Upshall (Age 28):

Frolik (Age 27)

2013-14: 15-27-42 (81 games)
2014-15: 19-23-42 (82 games)

Signed 4.3/5 yrs

Will he turn out to be as good as Glencross at 1.7/year more?

From this list I take the following info... Journeyman (.5 ppg) UFA's are not worth the contracts they get. The first year of the deal works out okay and then the wheels fall off.

The only 4M value years were out of Ryder in Dallas..... He was on a 2 year deal. Fleishmann had a 62 pt year his first year of his 4 year deal and Cole had a 61 pt first year. That is 3 good years out of 19 where the players were better than the .5ppg they signed entering the prime of their career.

For most of these guys (well all of the sample) the sudden windfall of 16-20M guaranteed is too big of a burden to their motivation.

They never expects to make 20M and they exceed their financial goals.

Vinny01
08-30-2015, 08:39 AM
What about Budler who signed his 4 year $16M deal at age 28 he is omitted from that list and has proven to be an amazing signing.

Frolik comes with a reputation of being a player that every coach loves. He can play up and down the lineup on both sides of the wing. Hartley and the Flsmes likely deploy him as a top 6 forward and he will be given the chance to break 50pts this year

Glencross always was a streaky player. Sometimes he was unstoppable and others he was invisible. He took a lot of bad penalties and often was injured during a season. It truly is shocking that he is only getting PTO's right now. I don't blame him for regretting his hometown discount. You look at the Canucks and Burrows. Through the prime of his career the Nucks only paid Burrows $2m per. Before he hit free agency they gave him a $4.5M per deal and it looks awful right now. Glennie obviously though he was going to get another $15-$20M on a long term deal and he is likely going to sign somewhere for $1m and hope he plays well enough to get a 2-3 year deal next summer. I hope it works out for him

TorqueDog
08-30-2015, 09:04 AM
Frolik (Age 27)

Signed 4.3/5 yrs

Will he turn out to be as good as Glencross at 1.7/year more?It's not really a relevant comparison to look at Frolik's contract today versus the one Glencross signed in 2009.

2009-2010 salary cap = $56.8 million
2014-2015 salary cap = $71.4 million

Bingo
08-30-2015, 09:37 AM
Frolik (Age 27)

Signed 4.3/5 yrs

From this list I take the following info... Journeyman (.5 ppg) UFA's are not worth the contracts they get. The first year of the deal works out okay and then the wheels fall off.

The only 4M value years were out of Ryder in Dallas..... He was on a 2 year deal. Fleishmann had a 62 pt year his first year of his 4 year deal and Cole had a 61 pt first year. That is 3 good years out of 19 where the players were better than the .5ppg they signed entering the prime of their career.

For most of these guys (well all of the sample) the sudden windfall of 16-20M guaranteed is too big of a burden to their motivation.

I see where you're going ... Treliving should get a Delorean and go back in time getting NHL superstars and their then contracts and bring them forward into today's NHL.

We could get Jagr from 1994-95, he scored 32 goals in a lock out shortened season of 48 games and made only 2.8M

Great Scott!

Strange Brew
08-30-2015, 10:31 AM
Frolik (Age 27)

Signed 4.3/5 yrs

You are making some strong conclusion here. I guess you are saying Frolik is overpaid. Obviously comparing to a contract signed 4 years ago is flawed logic. And I don't agree with the sweeping generalizations about motivation and never expecting to make that kind of money.

The heart of your argument is worth some debate. Is Frolik a journeyman, which is subject to interpretation? Glencross was a useful player but given injuries and inconsistency I am more likely to put him in that category.

Frolik's scoring output is similar but I think overall he brings more with his game. If you believe he is a solid 2nd line forward on a championship team then he is worth his contract. If you think he is replaceable by call ups or ELC players, then the Flames will come to regret the deal. The only fact supporting the latter argument is that a couple of teams have traded him and his last team let him walk instead of paying him 2nd line money.

Erick Estrada
08-30-2015, 12:51 PM

Comments like this are probably part of the reason he fell out of favour with the coaching staff. It appears he overvalued his contributions, play, and net worth as an NHL player. If only he could have played as good as he thinks he is in his contract year he wouldn't be in this situation. IMO he should be more disappointed in his own play than how his last contract played out. Hopefully for him this is a kick in the pants for him to go out and prove everyone wrong on a one year deal but he's really going to have to ramp up his intensity on a night to night basis as when he's on he's a player that any team can use but when he's not on his game IMO he's a negative value player and last year was one of those years where there were he was off his game far too much as he should have been a healthy scratch for the Flames at times like he was with the Caps.

curves2000
08-30-2015, 01:00 PM
I personally think that Glencross and some fans are looking at this perhaps at a different angle than me.

Did he take a hometown discount last contract? Yes he did but that was a result of term and a NTC which he wanted for his new, young family plus his business interests in central Alberta.

I think the issue here might be the poor advice he received from his agent regarding his actual UFA worth. Agents job is to come prepared for contracts and analyze the market place for their clients and I am not sure this one was handled correctly. I do recall 2 interviews with both Brad Treleving and Brian Burke talking about how they would love to extend him but their is a difference as to the $$$ between the team and his agent. I could see the Flames willing to extend him for 3 years at a AAV of $3 mil but perhaps Glencross and co were looking at a $4-4.5 number.

Fast forward to the trade with the Caps and it appears that they wanted to keep him. I also recall an interview with their GM talking about wrapping up the UFA's including Glencross but again there might have been a gap in terms of the dollars. In any event it's strange that a player such as Glencross hasnt been able to sign a deal when it does appear from the outside that 2 different teams were interested in his services at contracts less than the player/agent had hoped.

All the best to him in the future but sometimes poor advice can derail a career if you price yourself out of a job.

Strange Brew
08-30-2015, 01:44 PM
I know it's just speculation on your part but if the Flames did offer him a 3x$3, I am extremely thankful he turned it down. I am sure Flames did offer him something and it looks they dodged a bullet, maybe inadvertently.

TorqueDog
08-30-2015, 01:45 PM
I don't hold it against a guy for wishing he had taken the big money in hindsight. Especially in sports, where your career can be over in a split second. I don't think complaining about it in public when you're still out of a job is terribly helpful either, but I feel for the guy. You only get one shot to get the big money, you take it.

That said, what if that big money contract he wishes he had taken and the resulting play of Glencross ended with the Flames or some other team using a compliance buyout on him? He might have been looking for a job sooner.

Maybe things aren't so bad after all, Curtis....

FlamesPuck12
08-30-2015, 01:47 PM

Glencross (Age 29):

Fleischmann (Age 27):

Leino (Age 28):

Cole (Age 33):

Ward (Age 31):

Upshall (Age 28):

Someone else on Reddit did a similar comparison as this one and their conclusion was that Glencross didn't take a hometown discount with his last contract.

https://www.reddit.com/r/hockey/comments/3iuu3j/free_agent_glencross_regrets_last_deal_with/cujtu4p

Oling_Roachinen
08-30-2015, 04:03 PM
Someone else on Reddit did a similar comparison as this one and their conclusion was that Glencross didn't take a hometown discount with his last contract.

https://www.reddit.com/r/hockey/comments/3iuu3j/free_agent_glencross_regrets_last_deal_with/cujtu4p

Some pretty crappy comparables there.

Kopecky is a decent one. But he only had that one good season and even then he put up 15 goals to the 25 Glencross did. He was also older than Glencross. It's reasonable to assume that Glencross would have made more than Kopecky. Kopecky also got 4 year term, which was about the norm for these guys.

Handzus was 34 and had just reached 30 points. He's not a comparable to Glencross at all.

Jeff Halpern? Are you kidding me?

Belanger I think is fair to include. But again, it's comparing a 33 year old, at the time, with a 28 year old. There's far better comparables to Glencross than Belanger.

Fiddler? Why is this guy including 4th line players who can't score 8 goals?

Higgins is probably the fairest of these pretty poor comparables but he didn't have a good year with the Canadiens his last year, he sucked with the Rangers, was a non-factor with the Flames. He bounced back in Florida, but when traded to Vancouver he was nothing special. Put up 8 points in their playoff run. He had been a sub 30 point player on 4 of the 5 teams he had been with.

Bergenheim was a tier below Glencross.

Tores? Uggh. You got to question if this guy has ever watched hockey at this point.

Players like Kopecky and Ward, at the time, getting the same term and more money show that Glencross took a discount without factoring in the NMC. There was some reluctancy from fans with the contract as Glencross had shown to be a streaky player already so long-term was a bit worrisome. Half the team already had a NMC/NTC so another player with it also caused concern. Rarely did you find anyone who had an issue with the actual cap-hit though, many fans of other teams considered it a discount. Glencross, at the time, said he took a discount and Ken King was known to have agreed with that sentiment. Feaster alluded to it as well. I think there's room to argue that the NMC made up for the discount he took, but that is still what Glencross is getting at. He could have gone after more money, probably costing him the comfort and stability of staying in Alberta with a NMC. He now thinks he should have.

ricardodw
08-30-2015, 05:01 PM
I see where you're going ... Treliving should get a Delorean and go back in time getting NHL superstars and their then contracts and bring them forward into today's NHL.

We could get Jagr from 1994-95, he scored 32 goals in a lock out shortened season of 48 games and made only 2.8M

Great Scott!

Yep... It is good to keep on putting out the big bucks and long terms when about 1 in 10 actually works. Everyone else does it.

GM DNA memory left over from the pre-cap days when big bad contracts didn't matter.

GGG
08-30-2015, 05:05 PM
I can see him kicking himself leaving 40% of his earnings on the table
I don't think he blames anyone but himself. I like hearing these types of things from athletes so I don't think he should be critizized for saying it.

I hope he is able to get another few years in. He always loved beating the oilers

Erick Estrada
08-30-2015, 05:55 PM
I can see him kicking himself leaving 40% of his earnings on the table

It's entirely possible he would have made more money going to free agency but 40% is conjecture as we will never know exactly how much he left on the table. Considering how he and his agent miscalculated his worth in this free agency there's a possibility they inflated his value at prior to him taking a horse ride with King to the point they felt they gave the Flames a really sweet deal. IMO he was underpaid in the first half in the deal and by the end of the deal was arguably overpaid so it balanced out in the end.

If Cody Franson signed a 2 year $7 million contract on day one of free agency to stick with the Leafs I guarantee most of us would have said he left a big pay day on the table to stay with the Leafs. Turns out we would have been totally incorrect. The bottom line is that you don't really know a player's value until they hit the unrestricted market.

Fire of the Phoenix
08-30-2015, 05:58 PM
Yep... It is good to keep on putting out the big bucks and long terms when about 1 in 10 actually works. Everyone else does it.

GM DNA memory left over from the pre-cap days when big bad contracts didn't matter.
1 in 10? Come on man, you know the AVERAGE NHL player makes over $3m, right?

GGG
08-30-2015, 06:10 PM
It's entirely possible he would have made more money going to free agency but 40% is conjecture as we will never know exactly how much he left on the table. Considering how he and his agent miscalculated his worth in this free agency there's a possibility they inflated his value at prior to him taking a horse ride with King to the point they felt they gave the Flames a really sweet deal. IMO he was underpaid in the first half in the deal and by the end of the deal was arguably overpaid so it balanced out in the end.

If Cody Franson signed a 2 year $7 million contract on day one of free agency to stick with the Leafs I guarantee most of us would have said he left a big pay day on the table to stay with the Leafs. Turns out we would have been totally incorrect. The bottom line is that you don't really know a player's value until they hit the unrestricted market.

4 yrs at 3.6 million was pretty much a given if you look at the other players who signed that year.

If you look at the contracts signed this year in free agency you wouldn't say that Fransen left money on the table. The additional info we gain in hindsight allow us to assess what he likely would have gotten. The people saying 6 to 8 extra might be pushing it but to say he gets under 3.5 that year is pretty u likely

dino7c
08-30-2015, 08:53 PM
Glencross was playing a pretty big roll on the Flames considering his skill set....With Iggy at times, PP minutes, usually in a top six role. I doubt he would have put up points many places the way he did in Calgary. Lets not forget the Blue Jackets and Oilers (not exactly top teams) got rid of this guy before Calgary gave him a shot. Poor guy only made 10M over the last four years

Mr.Coffee
08-30-2015, 10:28 PM
I don't blame the guy one bit for making those comments or feeling that way. I tend to agree with him, he likely could have negotiated a bit better deal. No point dwelling in the past, but I suspect the interview question was targeted to that.

As mentioned, he lost his energy, inspiration, physical play. He refused to go to the hard areas, he refused to skate with urgency and his work ethic dropped off significantly from when he started to the end when he was traded.

It's not super surprising he hasn't been signed yet, and if he gets one more chance he better look in the mirror, do a little soul searching and act as if he's a rookie trying to crack the league.

All that said I do find it extremely odd that Setoguchi was offered a PTO before Glencross.

albertGQ
08-30-2015, 10:32 PM
I don't blame the guy one bit for making those comments or feeling that way. I tend to agree with him, he likely could have negotiated a bit better deal. No point dwelling in the past, but I suspect the interview question was targeted to that.

As mentioned, he lost his energy, inspiration, physical play. He refused to go to the hard areas, he refused to skate with urgency and his work ethic dropped off significantly from when he started to the end when he was traded.

It's not super surprising he hasn't been signed yet, and if he gets one more chance he better look in the mirror, do a little soul searching and act as if he's a rookie trying to crack the league.

All that said I do find it extremely odd that Setoguchi was offered a PTO before Glencross.

He has received PTOs from teams already. So more than one.

Poe969
08-31-2015, 06:54 AM
I just see this as sour grapes on his part. As some pointed out, he may have left money on the table but he got term and a NTC. I also think that he played above his contract....but not nearly as much as some think.

If he would have been making more, there would have also been a chance that he was traded to a team struggling to make the cap floor or if his contract was that bad, he could have been bought out.

Him saying he regrets taking a discount is the equivalent of the Flames saying they wish they hadn't given him a NTC and traded him sooner.

Either way, I think his best bet for the future is to work as hard as he once did and earn a contract based on what he is doing and can do, not focus on what he once did.

Huntingwhale
08-31-2015, 08:20 AM
I don't blame Glencross at all for saying what he did. Who of us here hasn't regretted taking a higher paying job at some point when they had the chance because they were comfortable where they were?

I'd also love to know the exact question that was asked to him. Clearly whomever was interviewing him worded the question in a way that the response would directly relate to him taking a discount.

Vinny01
08-31-2015, 08:33 AM
Glennie probably wishes he went with shorter term but really his cap hit was only $500k light and he got a full NMC in the deal so it was a fair contract. Unfortunately for Glencross he did not perform too well during the final year of his deal and was amazing the first couple years after it was signed. Scoring 26 goals in 67 games he certainly listened to many say he was very underpaid. He was looking to make up for it on this contract but teams are not looking at paying a 32 year old bottom 6 forward $4M on a long term deal.

ricardodw
08-31-2015, 09:03 AM
1 in 10? Come on man, you know the AVERAGE NHL player makes over $3m, right?

So because they are getting paid close to the average of the NHL player that means that Stajan, Raymond, Jones, Smid, Engelland (all continually listed as players to be moved to be able to pay Bennett) actually have good value contracts?

Is Frolik part of the core for the next 5 years?

Gio,Hamilton,Brodie,Monahan, Bennett,Gaudreau (no goalie as of yet)

Your core 6 players will take up at least 50% of your cap. That leaves around 35M for the rest of your 24 man roster.... around 2M / player.

If Frolik is not part of the core , using your logic, Frolik is getting overpaid by 2.3M / year for the next 5 years.

even taking the bottom 4 forwards and 2 D-men making 1M that leaves 29M for the 12 support players to share: less than 2.5M.

Strange Brew
08-31-2015, 09:08 AM
I had to check the stats to see he really did score 26 goals that year. That's a big number in today's NHL. He was always inconsistent but his play has really dropped off.

AcGold
08-31-2015, 11:18 AM
Glencross is a third line player that got boosted stats playing with Iginla. That's it, as a third line player Glencross will be an excellent addition to most teams. I don't see it as sour grapes, losing his work ethic or anything.

He said he wanted to play more? So freaking what, that's what hockey players want. I hated him on the team, not because of who he was but because he shouldn't have been in the roles expected of him. It's like putting Byron or Bollig on the second line and then being shocked when they don't work out.

He's a depth player that was shoved into a bigger role, when he started with Iginla he could hardly receive a pass and would stand around with nobody covering him because it was better than taking on Iginla 1 on 1. I've never seen so much analysis and discussion over a depth player.

Cleveland Steam Whistle
08-31-2015, 11:30 AM
I have no issues with what Glencross said, I like that he spoke his mind and gave an honest reflection.

My only issue is the way he packages it up as a "hometown discount". And again, not because I think he's showing sour grapes or anything, but because I don't think he actually took one. Glencross, IMO traded money for an NTC. It would be a hometown discount if he took that contract with Calgary and didn't get an NTC.

The fact of the matter is, Glencross would not have gotten what was likely "market value" for him (i.e. more than Calgary gave) and an NTC if he went elsewhere. He chose to take less money in exchange for an NTC, which gave him location security and a "say" in where he might get moved to. Glencross isn't close to good enough of a player to get an NTC without having to pay for it. He has clearly indicated how important playing close to home was to him back when he signed it, and he made a choice to pick location security over more money.

Totally cool with him looking back on it in hindsight and saying he'd rather have taken the money, that's fair, but I don't like the "colouring" of it like he gave something up and got nothing in return for it.

Red Slinger
08-31-2015, 11:36 AM
I've never seen so much analysis and discussion over a depth player.

Pfft... 9 pages for Glencross is pretty good considering some of the epic threads that centered around Jason Morgan, Dustin Boyd and others.

Locke
08-31-2015, 01:11 PM
Pfft... 9 pages for Glencross is pretty good considering some of the epic threads that centered around Jason Morgan, Dustin Boyd and others.

Remember when we signed Krys Kolanos? That was madness.

saillias
08-31-2015, 01:16 PM
Glencross is a third line player that got boosted stats playing with Iginla. That's it, as a third line player Glencross will be an excellent addition to most teams. I don't see it as sour grapes, losing his work ethic or anything.

He said he wanted to play more? So freaking what, that's what hockey players want. I hated him on the team, not because of who he was but because he shouldn't have been in the roles expected of him. It's like putting Byron or Bollig on the second line and then being shocked when they don't work out.

He's a depth player that was shoved into a bigger role, when he started with Iginla he could hardly receive a pass and would stand around with nobody covering him because it was better than taking on Iginla 1 on 1. I've never seen so much analysis and discussion over a depth player.

I honestly don't remember him playing with Iginla that much. His time here overlapped with the tenures of Cammalleri, Tanguay and later Hudler. he was never once our #1 LW.

AC
08-31-2015, 01:43 PM
From http://hockey.dobbersports.com/

In 2012-2013:
Glencross - Stajan - Stempniak was the most frequent line at 35.67% even strength
Glencross and Iginla were together about 20%

In 2011-2012:
Glencross - Jokinen - Iginla was the most frequent line at 41.61% even strength

Locke
08-31-2015, 02:07 PM
I will miss him when we play the Oilers, he loved to light them up.

Hopefully that tradition continues wherever he ends up.

CroFlames
08-31-2015, 02:38 PM
Remember when we signed Krys Kolanos? That was madness.

God I couldn't stand his skating style.

the-rasta-masta
08-31-2015, 02:40 PM
I will miss him when we play the Oilers, he loved to light them up.

Hopefully that tradition continues wherever he ends up.

Don't forget he used to light the Flames up every time he played us when he was with Columbus and Edmonton.

Erick Estrada
08-31-2015, 03:44 PM
Don't forget he used to light the Flames up every time he played us when he was with Columbus and Edmonton.

Yeah pretty sure Darryl signed him based on how he played against the Flames as an Oiler and Bluejacket.

Vinny01
08-31-2015, 04:46 PM
Yeah pretty sure Darryl signed him based on how he played against the Flames as an Oiler and Bluejacket.

The fact Glencross was an Alberts boy didn't hurt either. Summer 2008 was the best under Darryl. Signed Glencross and Bertuzzi while trading for Cammalleri and Bourque. He got good assets for Tanguay and didn't overpay to keep Husselius. He also brought Gio back from Russia and drafted Bouma and Brodie with his 3rd and 4th round picks

MissTeeks
09-04-2015, 11:07 AM
@NHLbyMatty: Understand Oilers considered Glencross on PTO but will go with their own signed forwards first. Draisaitl will get look on wing on 3rd line

dino7c
09-04-2015, 11:15 AM
@NHLbyMatty: Understand Oilers considered Glencross on PTO but will go with their own signed forwards first. Draisaitl will get look on wing on 3rd line

not good enough for the Oilers...bad sign

GioforPM
09-04-2015, 11:31 AM
not good enough for the Oilers...bad sign

But also shows that E+NG. Glencross' game has slipped but he's better than a lot of what they have. And supplies a lot of what they don't.