PDA

View Full Version : Countdown Poll - Flames captains Rd2

Bingo
08-11-2015, 07:03 AM
Well the captain poll certainly created some August discussion! Good work everyone.

Iginla is out of the way, so I should cause less controversy in round two I think!

Results
1. Iginla 48% (http://forum.calgarypuck.com/showthread.php?t=148504)

RobbieT
08-11-2015, 08:00 AM
I love Gio, but Lanny was the man to bring us the cup as the Captain!

Daradon
08-11-2015, 08:22 AM
Lanny should have won first round, takes it away this round.

Really, the poll depends on the age of the voter. And both are good picks. There will be no surprises. After Iggy and Lanny, it's a long march.

EDIT: As I said it in the previous poll, Gio could do it in time, he's been everything and more. But not long enough, no awards, and obviously, no cup. He's a leader though.

calf
08-11-2015, 08:26 AM

Really, the poll depends on the age of the voter. And both are good picks. There will be no surprises. After Iggy and Lanny, it's a long march.

I agree. If the poll was best player, Iginla wins every time, but it's best captain which has its own intangibles around it. Lanny FTW.

FlamesAddiction
08-11-2015, 08:51 AM

EDIT: As I said it in the previous poll, Gio could do it in time, he's been everything and more. But not long enough, no awards, and obviously, no cup. He's a leader though.

Personally, I feel that nostalgia and Lanny's legendary status in Calgary inflates his value as a captain. From what I recall, he was named co-captain, and then had it removed at some point, before being given the co-captaincy again out of respect the year they won the Cup recognizing that it might be his last season. In fact, I think he was scratched in a few of the games of the final series against Montreal. Not something that you would do with your captain if their leadership was critical at that time.

Cali Panthers Fan
08-11-2015, 09:15 AM
If we're talking pure leadership qualities then my vote is McCrimmon. Closely followed by Conroy and Lowry.

DoubleF
08-11-2015, 09:35 AM
Personally, I feel that nostalgia and Lanny's legendary status in Calgary inflates his value as a captain. From what I recall, he was named co-captain, and then had it removed at some point, before being given the co-captaincy again out of respect the year they won the Cup recognizing that it might be his last season. In fact, I think he was scratched in a few of the games of the final series against Montreal. Not something that you would do with your captain if their leadership was critical at that time.

True, but to earn that respect in previous years as captain... you must have meant something to the players, coach and management.

I believe some of the issue of his downward play/scratchings were knee injuries?

Robbob
08-11-2015, 09:36 AM

Leadership and the captaincy doesn't end at the sound of the buzzer. A lot of leading is done behind the scenes.

There was always the thought that it was Sutter and not Iginla that was the true leader of the team back. I think it may be more then a coincidence that the team started their slide as soon as he left the bench.

Resolute 14
08-11-2015, 10:26 AM
The thing abut Lanny is that, at no time during his tenure with the Flames, was he ever the sole captain of the team. He always had Pepper and Riser there as co-captains.

Lanny is also a good example of how "leadership" doesn't require "captain". His biggest influence on this team was in his acquisition. The trade for Lanny was the moment where the Atlanta identity was replaced with the Calgary identity. McDonald brought an attitude and influence from Colorado that this franchise needed to move forward toward contention. He was only a bit player for the team in 1989, but everything that led up to it came through Lanny.

CroFlames
08-11-2015, 10:36 AM
I'm still a little surprised folks are voting Gio over Lanny. I was more surprised in the last round of voting that Gio got so many votes.

I love Gio as much as the next guy, but only two years as Captain, (and not even a two full years, and zero playoff games) I don't think outweighs Lanny's accomplishment as Captain, despite the fact Lanny had a stacked team.

In my book, Gio still has something to prove as a captain. He's proven he's an elite player, but it was guys like Mony, Johnny, Wides, Brodie & Hudler who stepped up and led the team by committee when it counted.

Again, no Gio hate here. Elite player in my book. Needs more time to prove himself as captain to be considered better than Iggy or Lanny.

TX_Flame
08-11-2015, 10:38 AM
I'm sure that if you asked Pepper and Hunter they would tell you Lanny was the real captain, the face of the franchise, the team's inspiration and its heart and soul. The fact of him being scratched at times during the season and playoffs is irrelevant. So were Pepper and Hunter. Lanny was definitely slowing down by then and giving him time off for maintenance made him a more effective player. It had nothing to do with his leadership abilities. The co-captaincy arrangement was more about having someone out there with the C when Lanny was shut down for maintenance. Lanny inspired a kind of loyalty and unity that no one else came close to for at least another 25 years.

troutman
08-11-2015, 10:43 AM
My sister would vote for Phil Russell.

FanIn80
08-11-2015, 12:38 PM
Of course I voted for Lanny, but it's worth pointing out that he was just a co-Captain along side Pepper and Hunter when we won the Cup.

Daradon
08-11-2015, 01:38 PM

All true. I did think about those arguments.

But...

Still has the goal record (66 wha?! 66?!)

Hit 500 and 1000, about half of which was with us

Captained us our first and only cup. Which most of the team said, they won it for Lanny.

Best mustache in the NHL, if not the world.

You are not wrong. I think for me it comes down to the cup. Was Iggy better statistically? Yeah, but Lanny still has our goal record. Was Iggy a better player? Probably. Was Iggy a better a leader? Impossible to tell, both were so great. I call it even.

Did Iggy get us a cup? No.

I realize that's not all on him. It may even be unfair. But that's the biggest feather in the cap.

Plus the mustache.

It probably goes by age. In my first post I picked Lanny but I said it was pretty much a pick em with a long walk after that.

chubeyr1
08-11-2015, 01:48 PM
Ding ding ding, round two!

Gotta pick Lanny. I am old enuff to remember his playing days, as an opposing fan back then ( Jets fan ). He was a leader for the Flames and so so respected. He was surrounded by a bunch of great Vets as well which somehow lessens what he did here in some peoples eyes.

Gio is amazing, his coming out party was last year really as the captain. Sample size is so small, yet very impressive! Give him a few more years and he might win the poll as best ever.

Really this poll could of been broken down into who was the best captain of that decade? Many fans around here don't remember Lanny ( or were even born lol ), Iggy was outstanding as a leader 11 years ago ( some fans were still in elementary school, and Gio is the current Captain we all see ).

Bingo
08-11-2015, 01:49 PM
His biggest influence on this team was in his acquisition. The trade for Lanny was the moment where the Atlanta identity was replaced with the Calgary identity.

Love this.

Strange Brew
08-11-2015, 01:55 PM
If you are not sure who to vote for this round, take a look at the ceiling of the Saddledome next time you're there. Look closely for a clue.

Finger Cookin
08-11-2015, 02:02 PM
If you are not sure who to vote for this round, take a look at the ceiling of the Saddledome next time you're there. Look closely for a clue.

I don't see the Kaleb Toth option.

codynw
08-11-2015, 02:19 PM

Ryan Getzlaf?

Lanny'sDaMan
08-11-2015, 02:56 PM
Holy Dejavu Batman!!!

Again my vote is self evident.

Resolute 14
08-11-2015, 03:29 PM
Love this.

I thought you might. But keep in mind that I never criticized your choice of Gio in the last thread, merely how you handled being challenged.

cam_wmh
08-11-2015, 04:02 PM

Lots of talk "well i saw both, so I voted Lanny, but you youngns only saw Iginla, so that's why you voted him"

At what age do you cut-off?

TX_Flame
08-11-2015, 09:37 PM
Lots of talk "well i saw both, so I voted Lanny, but you youngns only saw Iginla, so that's why you voted him"

It's an inherent problem of any "best ever" debate.

Daradon
08-12-2015, 01:23 AM

That's not really how I meant it, sorry if you offended. Just that older viewers would probably take the earlier candidate. It happens all the time,, people fall in love with the first ones they see. Like how most people prize the music of their teenage years and early adulthood over all other music before and after. Ask your parent who their favorite player is. Probably someone from the 70's. Or 60's!

I did say in both posts that both players are very good picks and are pretty much neck in neck. Just for me, I like Lanny a tiny bit more.

I guess anyone who saw him 86 and on? Though obviously any date I cut off is arbitrary. A person may have seen him since his Leafs years and picked Iggy. Another maybe never saw him but in highlights and pick him anyway.

crapshoot
08-12-2015, 05:35 AM
Todd Simpson actually helped solidify my Flames fandom during the dark days of the late nineties. I had to vote for him for that reason alone.