PDA

View Full Version : Flames practice at winsport: Smid practicing

savardandjokinen
08-10-2015, 12:24 PM
Here at winsport, flames practicing including Ladislav Smid. Interesting. Played forward on a drill though. Smid, Raymond, stajan, ferland, shore, kanzig, sieloff, Russell, klimchuk, kulak and more. Even jay beagle. Hard to tell who's in net with flames jersey and a 12 year old kid is playing goalie too.

savardandjokinen
08-10-2015, 12:25 PM
Smid back to defense

savardandjokinen
08-10-2015, 12:26 PM
Karl Alzner too

hockey.modern
08-10-2015, 12:26 PM
I'm confused..

undercoverbrother
08-10-2015, 12:27 PM
Ferland better run that 12 yr if he wants to stay in the show.

savardandjokinen
08-10-2015, 12:30 PM
Nick Schultz too

mrdonkey
08-10-2015, 12:38 PM
Is this a Flames practice or a Capitals practice? Jeez.

How does Smid look, by the way? Any signs of struggling to keep up?

savardandjokinen
08-10-2015, 12:43 PM
Is this a Flames practice or a Capitals practice? Jeez.

How does Smid look, by the way? Any signs of struggling to keep up?

2 capitals here hehe.

Smid is doing alright, he's not standing out but at the same time he's not slacking. I'll watch him closer the next couple shifts and give updates. Russell, Raymond, Ferland, alzner and beagle most noticeable.

BruceCody
08-10-2015, 12:44 PM
7th or 6, anyways

sureLoss
08-10-2015, 12:44 PM
It is a players practice, not an official team practice.

Usually when the players practice they invite all NHL players who are in town to the practice.

tvp2003
08-10-2015, 12:45 PM
Here at winsport, flames practicing including Ladislav Smid. Interesting. Played forward on a drill though. Smid, Raymond, stajan, ferland, shore, kanzig, sieloff, Russell, klimchuk, kulak and more. Even jay beagle. Hard to tell who's in net with flames jersey and a 12 year old kid is playing goalie too.

I'm guessing it's Jon Gillies (he was on his way to Calgary according to his twitter):

Jon Gillies ‏@JGillies36 Aug 4 (https://twitter.com/JGillies36/status/628790275389964288)
see you soon(ish), Calgary #roadtrip (https://twitter.com/hashtag/roadtrip?src=hash)https://abs.twimg.com/emoji/v1/72x72/1f525.pnghttps://abs.twimg.com/emoji/v1/72x72/1f525.png

savardandjokinen
08-10-2015, 12:47 PM
I'm guessing it's Jon Gillies (he was on his way to Calgary according to his twitter):

That is right, he's young and already has a flames practice jersey, it is foresure him.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

hockey.modern
08-10-2015, 12:48 PM
Any chance Bennett is there?

savardandjokinen
08-10-2015, 12:49 PM
Any chance Bennett is there?

Nope, but I suggest if you want to see him come later in the month, last year more and more players started coming as the month went on. I wouldn't be surprised if he is here soon.

savardandjokinen
08-10-2015, 12:51 PM
Ferland literally dangled through everyone but then Jon gillies stopped him.

savardandjokinen
08-10-2015, 12:55 PM
5 min left... I may be here tomorrow and as the summer goes on to watch, so any questions I can answer

Locke
08-10-2015, 12:57 PM
Its all fun and games until a 12 year old takes a slapper to the noggin.

savardandjokinen
08-10-2015, 01:01 PM
Ferland is dominating, but idk if he could dangle when giordano and everyone are back. My grandpa who I came with is from the same town in bowsman Manitoba.

savardandjokinen
08-10-2015, 01:21 PM
I confirmed the only person I didn't know out there, Kenney Morrison. Smid says he's not sure if he's ready for camp, he will be going to a doctor. Hopefully he is okay.

Locke
08-10-2015, 01:32 PM
I confirmed the only person I didn't know out there, Kenney Morrison. Smid says he's not sure if he's ready for camp, he will be going to a doctor. Hopefully he is okay.

How was Kenney Morrison? I'm hoping he has a good shot to make the team.

heep223
08-10-2015, 01:34 PM
I'm excited to see what Ferland can do this year and I'm happy that he is in Calgary for the summer.

savardandjokinen
08-10-2015, 01:40 PM
How was Kenney Morrison? I'm hoping he has a good shot to make the team.

He was actually pretty good. He will definitely compete for a spot.

savardandjokinen
08-10-2015, 01:40 PM
I'm excited to see what Ferland can do this year and I'm happy that he is in Calgary for the summer.

He was there last year too, he definitely stood out.

savardandjokinen
08-10-2015, 01:41 PM
For anyone who wants to know, they practice Monday, Wednesday and Friday all thru the summer. On the night before practice I can update which time they're there at.

DoubleF
08-10-2015, 02:12 PM
Ferland literally dangled through everyone but then Jon gillies stopped him.

Boring Sean Monahan, is that you?

savardandjokinen
08-10-2015, 02:13 PM
Boring Sean Monahan, is that you?

I wish!

MrMastodonFarm
08-10-2015, 02:15 PM
I'm confused..

About anything in particular?

Badgers Nose
08-10-2015, 02:29 PM
I'm happy to hear Smid is making progress. Whatever his future is, I hope its a healthy one.

Simon96Taco
08-10-2015, 02:38 PM
I'm happy to hear Smid is making progress. Whatever his future is, I hope its a healthy one.

Came here to say this.

hockey.modern
08-10-2015, 02:54 PM
About anything in particular?

Nah, the title said Flames practice and jay beagle, Karl Alzner were there but it was just an open practice

CroFlames
08-10-2015, 02:58 PM
Interesting tid-bit: If Smiddy gets traded (and I suspect he will be) and get's replaced by Wotherspoon, we'll have an All-Canadian D-corps.

savardandjokinen
08-10-2015, 02:58 PM
Interesting tid-bit: If Smiddy gets traded (and I suspect he will be) and get's replaced by Wotherspoon, we'll have an All-Canadian D-corps.

Nice observation, but never count nakladal out.

codynw
08-10-2015, 03:05 PM

Don Cherry would be so proud.

Strange Brew
08-10-2015, 03:10 PM

That would be rather cool but I think Smid is untradeable right now. He would need at least a half season of healthy play under his belt.

PugnaciousIntern
08-10-2015, 03:37 PM
I'd personally be very upset if Smid was traded prior to becoming a valuable hockey asset again. I hate when pro athletes are seriously injured and in the worst period of their career, unsure if they will ever play again but doing everything to make it back, and then their team gives up on them before they had the chance to prove it.

That said, a healthy Smid could have been slightly difficult to move, but an unhealthy Smid is not going anywhere workout taking on some sort of baggage. And that doesn't sound like BT's shtick.

Robbob
08-10-2015, 03:42 PM
I think there is a significant difference between this sort of practice and training camp. The biggest question IMO is whether he will be cleared medically to participate. I don't think he makes it back and spends time on LTIR, which opens up his roster spot.

CroFlames
08-10-2015, 03:47 PM
I'd personally be very upset if Smid was traded prior to becoming a valuable hockey asset again. I hate when pro athletes are seriously injured and in the worst period of their career, unsure if they will ever play again but doing everything to make it back, and then their team gives up on them before they had the chance to prove it.

That said, a healthy Smid could have been slightly difficult to move, but an unhealthy Smid is not going anywhere workout taking on some sort of baggage. And that doesn't sound like BT's shtick.

It's tough though with Smiddy. The top six is set. Smiddy is #7 no matter how you slice it. Someone would be willing to take a chance with him I would bet, and Smiddy won't exactly be thrilled at being a #7 I think.

Textcritic
08-10-2015, 04:07 PM
I'd personally be very upset if Smid was traded prior to becoming a valuable hockey asset again. I hate when pro athletes are seriously injured and in the worst period of their career, unsure if they will ever play again but doing everything to make it back, and then their team gives up on them before they had the chance to prove it...
These sorts of things are not worth getting upset about. For the most part, EVERY NHL team will regularly and consistently fail to realise the value for even most of their assets. So long as the team is not always leaving value on the table, I think that is likely the best one can hope for.

Ideally, the Flames will get full value back for trading assets Raymond, Smid, Stajan, Wideman, Bollig in the near future. But practically speaking, it is impossible to trade them all, and even in those trades that do occur, it is highly likely that some of these guys will help another team, and will in turn appear more valuable than what the Flames receive in return.

That's just the nature of the business: for the occasional home run and the several solid trades that a good GM enacts, there are bound to be a bunch in which "full value" is missed.

MoreDrank
08-10-2015, 05:41 PM

You must loathe football.

dustygoon
08-10-2015, 06:01 PM
Excited for Smid. I like his style. Nice surprise if he can get healthy. Cap gets interesting.

Gaskal
08-10-2015, 06:30 PM
I wish Smid a healthy and continued career. I just don't think it will be with the Flames.

darthma
08-10-2015, 08:54 PM
I wish Smid a healthy and continued career. I just don't think it will be with the Flames.

eh? We have him on the books for 2 more years. Honestly, I am excited to hear he's doing well and welcome as much defensive depth as we can get. I hope he continues the trend and competes for a spot. And if this in regards to him being traded, I'm not sure he's worth much.

Street Pharmacist
08-10-2015, 09:02 PM
He's literally worse than ever defenseman we have, including the AHL

FBI
08-10-2015, 09:29 PM
Disagree. Sure he sucked with Engelland (who doesn't) but Think about before that. He was definitely a serviceable number five or number six defensemen at that time.

Vulcan
08-10-2015, 09:37 PM
Disagree. Sure he sucked with Engelland (who doesn't) but Think about before that. He was definitely a serviceable number five or number six defencemen at that time.

Yeah, he's not bad but I don't think he fits with our team right now. If he stays I can see him platooning with Engelland for the 6th spot.

RobbieT
08-11-2015, 07:50 AM
Too slow. Too old. Wish him a healthy recovery, of course, but will likely be in AHL, or traded...

Locke
08-11-2015, 09:01 AM
Just remember, when he was 'too slow' and not playing well he was playing injured. Lets see what hes actually got left in the tank before we sell him down the river.

I like Smid, he has his uses.

Poe969
08-11-2015, 09:06 AM
I agree that he should be given a chance to prove himself but he really has a lot to prove and not much time to do it. He seems like a "stay at home" defender and with Engelland already on the roster and young guys in the system, he better show that he's a top 6 because that cap space is valuable.

ricardodw
08-11-2015, 09:46 AM
He will be a big contract drag on the Flames cap situation for the next 2 years. 3.5M for the next 2 years!!!

It might cost Smid cash if he says he is healthy and the Flames buy him out.

When the Flames got him from the Oilers the plan was for him to be top-4.

After Engelland's stretch run and playoffs as a #4 and the addition of Hamilton he would be at very best #7 if he comes back to the same level that he was when we got him from Edmonton.

jaikorven
08-11-2015, 10:36 AM
Just remember, when he was 'too slow' and not playing well he was playing injured. Lets see what hes actually got left in the tank before we sell him down the river.

I like Smid, he has his uses.

I tend to agree with Locke on this. We do lack some grit in the back end, so I would like to see what he has left before we fire him into the sun.

TX_Flame
08-11-2015, 10:51 AM
OMG! Our forward ranks are getting even MORE crowded. [emoji12]

savardandjokinen
08-11-2015, 10:52 AM
OMG! Our forward ranks are getting even MORE crowded. [emoji12]

Lol, I think it was just for a drill. He played defence basically the whole time. It was just one rep!

Gaskal
08-11-2015, 11:55 AM
I tend to agree with Locke on this. We do lack some grit in the back end, so I would like to see what he has left before we fire him into the sun.
I think he will be given a fair chance at training camp. But with the additions of Hamilton and a healthy Giordano on the backend, plus the acquisitions of Nakladal and Morrison, he's in tough to beat out those guys for an NHL spot. And from the sounds of it he still needs medical clearance from a doctor. So if he's not traded/waived he'll be left on LTIR.

AcGold
08-11-2015, 12:27 PM
Keep him... unfortunately we know the entire top 6 isn't going to play every game. Smid might not be top 6 on this team but he adds depth, depth that teams need for playoff runs and tough seasons when our top 6 needs backup.

Locke
08-11-2015, 12:53 PM
I think he will be given a fair chance at training camp. But with the additions of Hamilton and a healthy Giordano on the backend, plus the acquisitions of Nakladal and Morrison, he's in tough to beat out those guys for an NHL spot. And from the sounds of it he still needs medical clearance from a doctor. So if he's not traded/waived he'll be left on LTIR.

Oh yeah, he'll get his shot and theres no doubt hes in tough.

Giordano, Brodie, Hamilton, Wideman, Russell, Engelland are the team and theres really only one or maybe two spots open for Smid, Wotherspoon, Nakladal and Morrison.

And I'm really high on Morrison.

Locke
08-11-2015, 12:58 PM

And you can never have too much depth on D. I would have paid real money for a healthy Smid during that Anaheim series.

As well as Engelland did slotting into that top 4, and he did really well, much better than we could have expected realistically, a healthy Smid would have helped a lot.

BurningSteel
08-11-2015, 01:02 PM
has anyone confirmed if the 12 year old kid was Jhonny??

jaikorven
08-11-2015, 01:26 PM

Fair for sure.

chubeyr1
08-11-2015, 01:59 PM
I really like Smid. If he is healthy he is a good dman 4-7. Trade bait for sure, or possibly opens up other options for trades.

I would prefer a healthy Smid regardless of cap issues. Its another asset, not to mention I never wish ill will on any player not named Matt Cooke.

Sure would cause another logjam on this team though if he is healthy. 5 goalies, 50 forwards, and 23 Dmen. I remember a time when we all the loved the trade that brought him here.

savardandjokinen
08-11-2015, 07:04 PM
Practice at 10:00 am tomorrow morning!

Fire of the Phoenix
08-11-2015, 10:00 PM
He's literally worse than ever defenseman we have, including the AHL

He's been pretty bad but I wonder how much of it was due to his injury? It appears as though the Oilers pawned off their damaged goods again. Maybe there's a chance at a rebound if he's healthy now? I will admit to not watching Smid much before we got him, so I'm not sure if he was better before or not.

Would you take him over Luca Sbisa? I wouldn't. Right now I would rate them about the same, but Sbisa doesn't seem to have the excuse of playing through an injury. He is younger I suppose, but Sbisa has been laughably bad every time I've seen him... though Smid is too at times.

He could be a problem after this season if he is healthy and doesn't improve. His contract has one more year after this one and we can't have him and Engelland on the cap after next year IMO. That's $6.5m combined for 6/7 Dmen right as we need money for our important guys. Ideally Smid will improve by just enough so we can trade him, but I'm not sure if he has it in him.

killer_carlson
08-11-2015, 10:09 PM
a healthy smid makes the team as #6 and makes the team better.

however I don't think we're getting a healthy Smid back.

Street Pharmacist
08-11-2015, 10:24 PM
He's been pretty bad but I wonder how much of it was due to his injury? It appears as though the Oilers pawned off their damaged goods again. Maybe there's a chance at a rebound if he's healthy now? I will admit to not watching Smid much before we got him, so I'm not sure if he was better before or not.

Would you take him over Luca Sbisa? I wouldn't. Right now I would rate them about the same, but Sbisa doesn't seem to have the excuse of playing through an injury. He is younger I suppose, but Sbisa has been laughably bad every time I've seen him... though Smid is too at times.

He could be a problem after this season if he is healthy and doesn't improve. His contract has one more year after this one and we can't have him and Engelland on the cap after next year IMO. That's $6.5m combined for 6/7 Dmen right as we need money for our important guys. Ideally Smid will improve by just enough so we can trade him, but I'm not sure if he has it in him.
He'll yes I'd take Sbisa over Smid.

He's faster, can pass better and doesn't get hemmed in every time he's on the ice

dustygoon
08-13-2015, 02:33 PM
Oiler taint isn't just the smell. Playing on that oil blueline meant waves of opposing players coming at him shift after shift.

CroFlames
08-13-2015, 02:58 PM
a healthy smid makes the team as #6 and makes the team better.

however I don't think we're getting a healthy Smid back.

I think with everyone at 100%, Smid is #7 behind Engo.

Depending on what Nakladal and Wotherspoon accomplish in Camp, he might be #8.

I wish Schlemko was willing to play AHL until an injury pops up. Would feel alot more comfortable calling Schlemko up instead of Tspoon.

savardandjokinen
08-13-2015, 09:15 PM
Tomorrow at 12:00-1:00 on arena b (Joan Snyder)

Vinny01
08-14-2015, 08:34 AM
I don't see space on the same blueline for both Engellend and Smid. Both are paid a pretty penny for 2 more seasons