PDA

View Full Version : Lori-Ann Muenzer returns home

habernac
08-27-2004, 03:37 PM
I think the saddest line in the article is this:

One of the first people she hugged was her coach Steen Madsen, who could not afford to travel to Athens with his star pupil and had to advise her by phone.

You'd think they could drop some of the useless hangers on and take an athletes coach to Athens....

http://slam.canoe.ca/Slam/Athletics/Games/.../603809-cp.html (http://slam.canoe.ca/Slam/Athletics/Games/2004/Cycling/2004/08/27/603809-cp.html)

Tron_fdc
08-27-2004, 04:04 PM
What's the scoop with all the support staff from Canada? I heard somewhere they outnumber the athletes something like 4:1?? :blink: Not sure though, I heard it on the radio while in my zombie like commute across Glenmore.

Does anyone know anything about that? It's a travesty if a coach can't make it, but the official Canadian touque folder gets a free pass.

RougeUnderoos
08-27-2004, 04:06 PM
That is brutal. I was watching a re-cap of the event and they had the obligatory shot of her family and friends watching on TV and the announcer says something like "there is her mom and dad and cousin Bob and her coach just back and to the right".

I thought it was a mistake, what the hell is her coach doing in Edmonton, shouldn't he be coaching?

habernac
08-27-2004, 04:39 PM
I think Lori Ann's story is not being trumpeted enough, though. There are more stories of our failed athletes than of this gold medal winner. She worked 2 jobs, somehow found time to train and won a gold at 38 years of age!!!!! Sport Canada should be shouting this woman's name from the rooftops!!!

browna
08-27-2004, 06:25 PM
Tough call on the coach thing...its her personal coach/motivator/(co-worker) from what I gather. The team coach, and I am sure he's a coach she deals with a lot was there.

A slippery slope when you let personal trainers/coaches/motivators along for the ride on the tax payer $....I could be Habernac's friend, talk to him about mountain biking, and there's a case for me to go to Athens with Habby as his coach.

That said, I am sure that there are a lot of people in Athens that shouldn't be there in the Canadian delegation.