PDA

View Full Version : The Canadian Women's Soccer Team Thread

Pages : [1] 2

shermanator
07-10-2015, 08:47 AM
Figured I would start a thread to discuss the women's team, NWSL, Calgary Foothills WFC, and anything related to women's soccer in this country. Don't want to see 4 years go by before it's discussed again, even if it's just once in a while.

Anywho, first news, is that CalgaryPuck's very own Mango (hope I got the username right) will now be writing regularly for Sportsnet on women's soccer. Here's her piece on the upcoming Pan Am games.

http://www.sportsnet.ca/soccer/canada-soccer-pan-am-games-kadeisha-buchanan-jessie-fleming-ashley-lawrence/

Mango
07-10-2015, 11:00 AM
Thanks! Much appreciate the link.

Sarah Kinzner is a member of Foothills WFC and is part of the Pan Am team. She's a very special talent. When the Seattle Sounders were here a few weeks back for an exhibition match, she was the best player on the pitch. She's already represented Canada at the U-17 and U-20 levels. She's a great kid and is beginning her NCAA career this fall in Colorado. I hope everyone keeps an eye out for her. It's been awhile since we've had a player of such caliber come from Calgary.

lazypucker
07-10-2015, 02:57 PM
There are other female members on CP other than Girly? No way! I thought we are all fat dudes living in their moms' basements....

BTW, nice article, Mango

Mango
07-11-2015, 08:18 AM
There are many women who post here. You'd be surprised :)

Canada versus Ecuador tonight. KO is 7 pm live on Sportsnet. Kadeisha Buchanan and Janine Beckie are likely going to dominate this competion for Canada.

Yoho
07-11-2015, 09:18 AM
Thanks! Much appreciate the link.

Sarah Kinzner is a member of Foothills WFC and is part of the Pan Am team. She's a very special talent. When the Seattle Sounders were here a few weeks back for an exhibition match, she was the best player on the pitch. She's already represented Canada at the U-17 and U-20 levels. She's a great kid and is beginning her NCAA career this fall in Colorado. I hope everyone keeps an eye out for her. It's been awhile since we've had a player of such caliber come from Calgary.

It actually hasn't been awhile. Ranee Premji from Calgary won 2 NCAA div.1 championships with North Carolina Tar Heels in 2009 and 20012, she was a key impact player for legendary coach Anson Dorrance, with amazing vision and distribution skills from the midfield. Instead of players with skill Herdman went with a team of "Destroyers" and wanna be fashion models for this World Cup, who only know how to pass the ball backwards.

"Premji, meanwhile, joined Canada’s national youth program at age 16 and has benefitted from 34 days in youth camps from 2007 to 2009."
http://www.canadasoccer.com/canada-wnt-announces-roster-for-cyprus-camp-p149283

I get that Kinzner is the "latest thing" but the over hype is a bit ridiculous. For someone of her pedigree, I'm shocked she's not playing at a higher ranked school this fall.

Mango
07-11-2015, 02:19 PM
Premji is a fine talent, but was unable to make the jump to the national team. She still plays Major for the Callies, I believe? The same can be said for Yvonne Northover.

It's hindsight wondering if things would've been different if they were members of the youth programs under the current Excel formation. Anyone who was a youth player during the Morace-era didn't stand a chance.

As for Kinzner, she was offered other scholarships, but ultimately decided on Colorado for personal reasons. And I'm not "over-hyping" her. She's damn good.

AndyM
07-11-2015, 02:32 PM
Kadeisha Buchanan and Janine Beckie are likely going to dominate this competion for Canada.

The fact Beckie didn't make the WC team was a joke. It was dumbfounding that Iacchelli did...and of course, didn't play a minute. Beckie at least could've been used as a late sub. She's a good striker.

Acey
07-11-2015, 06:56 PM
Canada v Ecuador -- 7:05 pm MT (Sportsnet, CBCsports.ca)

#canWNT XI v ECU: GK Labbé (c); Zadorsky, Quinn, Buchanan, McNicholl; Lawrence, Fleming, Kinzner; Fletcher, Beckie, Levasseur. #TO2015

"Reminder that this #canWNT squad, while defending Gold from 2011, is focused on Olympic Dev, & wouldn't be qualified as International 'A'."

Match sheet (http://results.toronto2015.org/IRS/resTO2015/pdf/TO2015/FB/TO2015_FB_C51_FBW400B05.pdf)

Acey
07-11-2015, 07:21 PM
The fact Beckie didn't make the WC team was a joke. It was dumbfounding that Iacchelli did...and of course, didn't play a minute. Beckie at least could've been used as a late sub. She's a good striker.

Beckie's just scored too. Honestly we could have sent this whole squad and done just as well... no outfield player born earlier than 1990, these young legs are flying all over the place. Canada will be able to find scorers going forward without Sinclair.

Mango
07-11-2015, 09:41 PM
That match was an absolute blast to watch, including the comedy of errors at the end after Labbe got the red card.

Acey
07-11-2015, 11:02 PM
Should also be noted that was almost the exact same squad Ecuador had for WWC, and Canada was dominating them at times like it was women vs girls.

Johnny199r
07-11-2015, 11:40 PM
My old college teammate is the coach for this team, that was pretty strange to see on t.v.

Kadeisha Buchanan is a good player, but she is lucky to play a position where being athletic will mostly get you by. Of the two word class players Canada has produced (Sincy, and Buchanan is almost there) being bigger, stronger and faster has a lot to do with it. Of course they posses skill, but I'm not holding my breath for players like the midfielders from France in the World Cup showing up in the Canadian senior team anytime soon. I think the U.S.A showed in the World Cup that speed and size along with skill is still important in the woman's game as opposed to the mens game.

It's a great time to be a high level girls soccer player with NCAA scholarships galore for Canadian girls...

Acey
07-12-2015, 01:40 AM
Full replay of the match in HD (http://panam.cbc.ca/videos/live/video/soccer-womens-2100-570250.html) is worth a watch, if not just for the hilarity of Beckie trying to get her goalie jersey on.

GirlySports
07-12-2015, 09:06 AM
Should also be noted that was almost the exact same squad Ecuador had for WWC, and Canada was dominating them at times like it was women vs girls.

yeah the World Cup Canadian team probably would have won 10-0. That Ecuador team was by far the worst in the tournament. Even worse than Thailand and Ivory Coast.

Acey
07-15-2015, 06:39 PM
Underway vs Costa Rica in Hamilton on CBCSports.ca and Sportsnet. Starting XI: Sheridan (GK); Pickett, Zadorsky, Quinn, Stewart; Fleming, Fletcher, Stratigakis; Beckie, Ezurike, Carle.

Buchanan and Lawrence have returned to school in West Virginia where they both play.

Acey
07-19-2015, 05:41 PM
Buchanan, Lawrence, and the suspended Labbe are back for game 3 vs Brazil. Should be a good one.

Starting XI v BRA: Labbé (GK+C); Zadorsky, Buchanan, Quinn, McNicholl; Stewart, Fletcher, Fleming, Lawrence; Beckie, Levasseur

Acey
07-19-2015, 08:39 PM
Wow, so only bits of this... but it was basically Brazil's full national team (sans Marta) bullying our girls with their usual antics. Canada loses 2-0 but is going through anyway.

Mango
07-19-2015, 09:56 PM
Wow, so only bits of this... but it was basically Brazil's full national team (sans Marta) bullying our girls with their usual antics. Canada loses 2-0 but is going through anyway.

Formiga kicking the ball at Fleming's head was...something else.

Acey
07-20-2015, 01:09 PM
No big deal.

http://i.imgur.com/X4EJl6C.jpg

In Canada only.

Yoho
07-20-2015, 07:42 PM
Interesting article.
"Maybe this bafflingly upbeat approach in the face of so much evidence to the contrary was the result of time spent in coach John Herdman’s famous Brain Room. If so, perhaps somebody needs to build a Practice Room, and spend a little more time in there. This team was proof that motivation without talent is as useful as a parachute without shoulder straps."

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/sports/soccer/kelly-less-mind-games-more-winning-games/article25171991/

Acey
07-24-2015, 08:28 PM
Ashley Lawrence just intentionally elbowed this Mexican girl in the face for wasting time and it was awesome. Canada loses for bronze to a sleazy Mexico team 2-1.

Yoho
07-24-2015, 08:31 PM
Good of CaNada to wake up in the last 5 min.Still terrible anywhere near the oppositions net, however nice PK by Fleming.

shermanator
02-19-2016, 05:48 PM
In news that should come as no surprise, Canada's women's team has qualified for the 2016 Rio Olympics today after beating Guyana, Trinidad and Tobago and Guatemala by a combined score of 21-0, then defeating Costa Rica in the semi-finals by a score of 3-1.

And in more surprising news Christine Sinclair scored a ####ing golazo in today's game. Check it out below:

PLuQ6Gs7Ls4

Acey
03-09-2016, 02:04 PM
Canada wins the 2016 Algarve Cup for the first time with a 2-1 win over Brazil on goals by Zadorsky and Beckie. Player of the tournment is Kadeisha Buchanan.

Acey
03-09-2016, 05:03 PM
Bcvh2JHlA0w

Acey
12-01-2016, 10:33 AM
West Virginia defender extraordinaire Kadeisha Buchanan named espnW player of the year (http://www.espn.com/espnw/sports/article/18170436/ncaa-women-soccer-west-virginia-mountaineers-senior-kadeisha-buchanan-named-espnw-soccer-player-year)

Mountaineers have gone 21-1-1 with her in the lineup. Buchanan can't help but be the center of attention for West Virginia. Buchanan can't help but be the center of attention for West Virginia. She is the team's best defender, backed up by an international pedigree that includes being named the best young player in the 2015 World Cup and a member of FIFA's all-star team for that tournament. Buchanan has grown from an amazing talent into a world-class player. Gone is the quiet reserve of a 17-year-old freshman who just wanted to play, not speak or lead.

shermanator
01-03-2017, 06:25 PM
Ashley Lawrence has signed with Paris Saint-Germain through the 2019 season:

http://www.psg.fr/en/News/003001/Article/78459/Ashley-Lawrence-au-Paris-Saint-Germain

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/C1Q4LfdXEAUwsA2.jpg

Meanwhile, it is heavily rumoured that Kadeisha Buchanan will be signing with Olympique Lyonnais. Nothing has been officially announced yet.

I would have to think that these two signings are the biggest in Canadian women's history.

shermanator
09-08-2020, 07:47 PM
Canadian women's national team defender Rebecca Quinn has come out as transgender.

https://twitter.com/allibecc/status/1303458209487818752

M*A*S*H 4077
02-18-2021, 05:59 PM
Nil nil vs the US at halftime in the opening game of the She Believes cup. Canada missing multiple key players through injury/not being released by their clubs but they’re looking ok so far.

Seems the US strategy is to foul Fleming anytime she gets on the ball. Not sure how they haven’t gotten at least two yellow cards for some of these challenges

M*A*S*H 4077
02-18-2021, 07:05 PM
A hard fought 1-0 defeat to the Americans. They played really hard and were dangerous on the counter, and did have good spells of possession in the second half. States hit a crossbar and I thought the ref missed a clear cut handball by a US defender that would’ve been a penalty for Canada.

Gilles was a monster at CB, would like to see her and Buchanan in the future. Definitely looked like a team that has only been together for a couple days. Beckie and Fleming ran all over the place and were great in transition, unfortunately Beckie missed two grade A chances. Can tell she’s been playing a decent amount of fullback for City.

Liked how Priestman had them set up, should be a good foundation going forward! Hopefully Sheridan can come back from her injury quickly.

shermanator
02-18-2021, 08:20 PM
Good result given that they were without Sinclair, Buchanan, Lawrence and Huitema, and lost their starting keeper early in the game.

Beckie had a poor game. I'd like to see more of Viens, she's Canada's most in-form striker right now.

Yoho
02-19-2021, 04:33 AM
Classic Janine Beckie

M*A*S*H 4077
02-19-2021, 07:33 AM
Good result given that they were without Sinclair, Buchanan, Lawrence and Huitema, and lost their starting keeper early in the game.

Beckie had a poor game. I'd like to see more of Viens, she's Canada's most in-form striker right now.

I don’t think Beckie was poor, just can’t finish. In the first half especially she was driving play on the transition and was engaged defensively and her height is a big advantage on set pieces.

I’d like to see her at fullback when the full complement of attackers is available. She’s one of the best XI and her versatility should keep her on the pitch somewhere.

Agreed I’d like to see more of Viens and what she can bring to the table.

Hockey-and_stuff
02-19-2021, 11:14 AM
Beckie had a whole net to shoot at and hit the goalie, that hurt a lot. I think she had too much time and outsmarted herself.

M*A*S*H 4077
02-21-2021, 05:59 PM
Canada beats Argentina 1-0 on a 92 minute winner from Sarah Stratagakis! Her first goal from Canada. She came on as a sub and changed the energy in the midfield with her quick passing and runs

Like what Viens brings to the table, even though she had a couple misses after coming on for Prince. Having a true striker up top making those runs is big for the movement around them

Bill Bumface
02-22-2021, 10:25 AM

Scrappy!

GirlySports
04-22-2021, 12:05 PM
The draw for the Olympics. Canada will open against the Hosts Japan

Group E: Japan, Canada, Great Britain, Chile

Japan vs Canada: July 21 4:30AM MT Sapporo
Canada vs Chile: July 24 1:30AM MT Sapporo
Canada vs Great Britain: July 27 5:00 AM MT Kashima

Group F: China, Brazil, Zambia, Netherlands
Group G: Sweden, USA, Australia, New Zealand

Bill Bumface
04-22-2021, 07:29 PM
Is Chile any good? Top 1 or top 2 go through?

GirlySports
04-23-2021, 09:22 AM
Is Chile any good? Top 1 or top 2 go through?

Top 2 in each group plus the two best third placed teams. So 8 out of 12 make the quarters.

Chile will be cannon fodder. The main problem with women's football is that there aren't enough matches or tournaments. The 2018 South American championship determined BOTH 2019 World Cup and 2020 Olympic berths. Chile hosted this tournament and won the semifinal match against Argentina which qualified them for the world cup and an olympic playoff against Cameroon which they also won. Imagine playing one match to determine both your World Cup and Olympic fate. At least CONCACAF has two separate tournaments.

Europe is even more ridiculous. They use the World Cup to qualify for the Olympics. So if you get a bad draw, like France having to face the the US in the quarters, you're out.

Bill Bumface
04-23-2021, 05:19 PM
So Canada should breeze through. Excellent.

GirlySports
04-23-2021, 05:43 PM
So Canada should breeze through. Excellent.

They should but it's not just advancing, it's about placement. The most important match in the Olympics in any knockout sport is the quarterfinals. Win and you get two bites at a medal, lose and you're out. You don't want to play the US in the quarters, which would happen if Canada is a 3rd place qualifier.

Slava
04-23-2021, 08:19 PM
Basically everyone is going to hammer Chile to make sure they have a good goal differential. Canada won’t have it easy against the other two, but should get through regardless.

Yoho
04-26-2021, 10:58 PM
Basically everyone is going to hammer Chile to make sure they have a good goal differential. Canada won’t have it easy against the other two, but should get through regardless.

Don’t be shocked if they can’t advance from this group.

shermanator
04-27-2021, 08:10 AM
nm

shermanator
06-24-2021, 09:08 AM
Squad announced for the Olympics.

GirlySports
06-24-2021, 10:00 AM
So no Huitema is the surprise? I thought she would be useful off the bench.

M*A*S*H 4077
06-24-2021, 10:58 AM
Huitema is on the reserve list in case of injury. Hard to argue with taking Viens over her on current form

CroFlames
06-24-2021, 06:58 PM
How would one go about getting a Sinclair jersey? Its for a woman, so men’s or lady’s cut OK.

cSpooge
06-24-2021, 07:36 PM
How would one go about getting a Sinclair jersey? Its for a woman, so men’s or lady’s cut OK.

https://www.canadasoccerstore.com/en/femmes-nike-christine-sinclair-rouge-canada-soccer-2021-domicile-r%C3%A9plique-de-maillot-de-joueur/p-37704771059776+z-9297-1431593690?_ref=p-SRP:m-GRID:i-r0c0:po-0

Yoho
08-02-2021, 10:15 AM

shermanator
08-06-2021, 09:43 AM

bdubbs
08-06-2021, 10:23 AM
Awesome!

shermanator
08-20-2021, 11:08 AM
Calgary Foothills are spearheading an effort to launch a national women's soccer league. Sounds like the plan is to start as an amateur league, then transition to a professional league as more money comes into the league.

https://globalnews.ca/news/8122537/canadian-womens-soccer-league-calgary-push

undercoverbrother
08-20-2021, 11:43 AM
Calgary Foothills are spearheading an effort to launch a national women's soccer league. Sounds like the plan is to start as an amateur league, then transition to a professional league as more money comes into the league.

https://globalnews.ca/news/8122537/canadian-womens-soccer-league-calgary-push

Best of luck to them.

It will be an uphill battle.

Johnny199r
08-20-2021, 06:56 PM
“I hope that it’s a big wake-up call for a lot of people,” goaltender Stephanie Labbe said. “The fact that this team has two back-to-back bronze medals and now a gold medal and we still don’t have a women’s professional league is pretty unacceptable and quite disappointing, to be honest.”

Still waiting for a viable business plan. I haven't heard one yet. It's easy to talk about other people putting money up, it's different when it's your money.

shermanator
08-20-2021, 07:20 PM
Barring the discovery of numerous deep pocketed investors who want to get a professional league, I think starting with amateur regional based leagues is the way to go. I think there are enough clubs that want to explore this step up at the top of their pyramids; Calgary Foothills, St Albert Impact and Edmonton Scottish as examples. Lay out the framework for the infrastructure and fan support while keeping expenses relatively low via no player wages and limited travel expenses.

Amateur soccer is a tough sell though, women's amateur soccer will be an even tougher sell. Will depend on the game day experience, branding, and whether they do things like partner with Cavalry for things like doubleheaders.

Mango
08-20-2021, 08:14 PM
I'm a little surprised Foothills is taking credit for the pro-am league. It's a collective effort, and it was actually supposed to happen this year with a group of clubs, the ones you mentioned sherm, along with Okanagan FC and I think a group from Victoria. Unfortunately, Canada Soccer didn't sanction it in time for a full season.

AndyM
08-21-2021, 01:12 PM
I'm a little surprised Foothills is taking credit for the pro-am league. It's a collective effort, and it was actually supposed to happen this year with a group of clubs, the ones you mentioned sherm, along with Okanagan FC and I think a group from Victoria. Unfortunately, Canada Soccer didn't sanction it in time for a full season.

Scottish FC in Edmonton is actually the biggest driving force of the upcoming pro-am, for both the men and women.

shermanator
12-09-2021, 12:10 PM
This national amateur women's league sent out a hype Tweet earlier this week "announcing" the league. It was largely panned by current and past women's national team players on the women's for using their imagery without permission, and for implying that the calibre would be professional, when it's a 3 month amateur league. So that went well...

https://twitter.com/WPSLCanada/status/1468369875693408258

More info here. Apparently it's attached to WPSL but separate. Don't know why they wouldn't just create their own league but maybe there's a good reason.

https://twitter.com/WPSLCanada/status/1469004754156232708

Yoho
03-15-2022, 02:59 PM

corporatejay
03-16-2022, 12:30 AM
What is the CanXNT? Like a Paralympic thing?

shermanator
03-16-2022, 03:10 PM
One of the players is transgender so people commonly use XNT instead of WNT to describe the women's team.

M*A*S*H 4077
04-08-2022, 10:22 PM
Janine Beckie is absolutely bossing the friendly against Nigeria tonight from RB. Her delivery has been outstanding

GirlySports
07-09-2022, 03:55 PM
Canada, US and Costa Rica have qualified for the 2023 Women's World Cup. Haiti and Jamaica have a showdown on Monday for the final spot, both having beaten Mexico already. Haiti only needs a draw.

GirlySports
07-12-2022, 11:09 AM
Jamaica beat Haiti 4-0 to get the last CONCACAF spot. Panama and Haiti to the inter continental playoffs. Mexico choked at home.

Now eyes turn to the semifinals and Olympic qualifying. Winner of the final goes to Paris, runner up and 2nd runner up will play home and away in September 2023! for the other spot.

Also in play is possible World Cup seeding. Pot 1 will be Australia, New Zealand plus the top 6 based on the October FIFA Rankings. Canada is currently #6 so they need to maintain that position.

June Rankings
1. USA
2. Sweden
3. France
4. Netherlands
5. Germany
6. Canada
--------------
7. Spain
8. England
9. Brazil

Need Canada to beat the US in the final and Spain and England to tank at Euros :)

CofR
07-14-2022, 09:59 PM
Canada defeated Jamaica 3-0 tonight.

It will be Canada vs. USA for the CONCACAF Title on Monday night.

M*A*S*H 4077
07-18-2022, 08:15 PM
Not sure there’s a team in all of sports I dislike more than the US women soccer team

Go Canada!

dash_pinched
07-18-2022, 08:44 PM
Nice diving save by Sheridan.

cheevers
07-18-2022, 08:54 PM
Surely we have to have someone better than Quinn. They can't pass, get turned all the time, and another terrible pinch results in a 4v2 against.

M*A*S*H 4077
07-18-2022, 08:57 PM
Way too many turnovers in the middle. I expect Grosso to come in early in the second half

Just as worryingly is Lawrence seems to be in the middle of nowhere. Too far back to be helping in attack and too far forward to prevent channel runs in behind

M*A*S*H 4077
07-18-2022, 08:58 PM
Wow! What a save by Sheridan!

Party Elephant
07-18-2022, 09:06 PM
Tense game that is lucky to be 0-0 at halftime, a lot like the olympic SF actually. Think Canada have a shot here if they can clean up the giveaways.

M*A*S*H 4077
07-18-2022, 09:07 PM
Prince has that American fullback on skates. Keep giving her the ball and something good is going to happen

M*A*S*H 4077
07-18-2022, 09:35 PM
This is looking grim.

M*A*S*H 4077
07-18-2022, 10:07 PM
I haven’t seen Canada play this poorly in a long time. They looked tired from the start and full of nerves. Couldn’t string two passes together the entire second half.

Pain.

CofR
07-18-2022, 10:10 PM
I hate the USNWNT so much

GirlySports
08-06-2022, 10:04 PM
The New Fifa Rankings are out and Canada are on the outside of World Cup Seeding due to England winning Euro 2022 (boooooo!)

https://www.fifa.com/fifa-world-ranking/women?dateId=ranking_20220805

The Seeded Teams for next years World Cup will certainly be

New Zealand (hosts Group A)
Australia (hosts Group B)
1. USA
2. Germany
3. Sweden
4. England
5. France
6. Netherlands
-----------------
7. Canada :(

Party Elephant
08-07-2022, 09:28 AM
I guess that just means group of death, unless they get lucky and draw NZ.

GirlySports
08-07-2022, 11:27 AM
I guess that just means group of death, unless they get lucky and draw NZ.

Maybe. Just some rough estimates a difficult 3rd pot team might be China or a weaker European team like Switzerland or Iceland. With the expanded format Pot 4 will be really weak.

GirlySports
10-16-2022, 05:11 PM
The World Cup is next summer but the draw is this Saturday the 22nd at 12:20am Mountain on TSN

Canada is in Pot 2, 7th in the world just outside Pot 1

https://scontent.fyyc8-1.fna.fbcdn.net/v/t39.30808-6/311602799_530088992457730_2569376895162872443_n.jp g?_nc_cat=105&ccb=1-7&_nc_sid=730e14&_nc_ohc=8EY9pIRJOKIAX9UzXI6&_nc_ht=scontent.fyyc8-1.fna&oh=00_AT9Kmriigz047euKF8Ok7B_V9nluUW2NBK7oWYU_H7ms VA&oe=63519DCF

Playoff 1: Portugal, Cameroon or Thailand (Cannot be drawn in a group with 2 Europeans)

Playoff 2: Chile, Senegal or Haiti (Cannot be drawn in a group with another South American)

Playoff 3: Taiwan, Papua New Guinea, Paraguay or Panana (Cannot be drawn in New Zealand or another CONCACAF)

https://scontent.fyyc8-1.fna.fbcdn.net/v/t39.30808-6/310659449_530825752384054_1956615116790122026_n.jp g?_nc_cat=109&ccb=1-7&_nc_sid=8bfeb9&_nc_ohc=chtYBv7l5S0AX8iuSsD&_nc_ht=scontent.fyyc8-1.fna&oh=00_AT8eCsbt4eovZ2R9vM0tfyjjvbDdFnHtUWg42iUlPLnI ZA&oe=6351694A

You Need a Thneed
10-22-2022, 01:29 AM
canada in group B with Austrailia.

and Ireland.

and nigeria

GirlySports
10-22-2022, 02:11 AM
That a pretty easy group for Canada.

Vietnam are in a group with US, Netherlands and Portugal (most likely). They might give up 50.

GirlySports
02-23-2023, 10:22 AM
Haiti and Panama qualify out of the playoffs making it 6 CONCACAF teams in the World Cup

https://cloudinary.fifa.com/m/43512a2324e63b09/original/Final-FIFA-Women-s-World-Cup-groups.png

MegaErtz
06-21-2023, 06:39 PM
The women's team are still without a contract, and Christine Sinclair says they won't get on the plane on June 28th without one.

shermanator
06-22-2023, 05:21 PM
That's not what Sinclair said.

Does anyone actually think the women aren't going to play at the World Cup?

"We're not at a point where we're not getting on a plane, but time's coming where we want it done so as players we're not having to deal with it while we're trying to prepare," said Canada captain Christine Sinclair.

"Obviously there has been a lot of changeover at the CSA (Canada Soccer) in recent months," Sinclair told The Canadian Press. "We knew this was going to be a fight. We knew it was going to take some time.

"But us as a women's team have flat out told the CSA that we need a deal in place for at least the World Cup and this year before we head down there. So obviously we're getting close. I think it will happen. Will it be a long-term deal? No. But something will be done before the World Cup starts."

https://www.cbc.ca/sports/soccer/canadian-women-soccer-world-cup-pay-dispute-1.6884709

Johnny199r
06-23-2023, 02:42 PM
No way the CWNT would refuse to go to the World Cup. Not a chance.

shermanator
06-29-2023, 10:55 AM
CSA presented a "best and final offer" to the women's national team earlier this week.

https://www.cbc.ca/sports/soccer/canadian-soccer-devos-compensation-offer-1.6890464

Women are in Australia so they clearly aren't going to boycott the World Cup.

GirlySports
07-13-2023, 03:50 PM
So Canada has no friendlies leading up to this World Cup? They're just going to step on the field and play Nigeria next week? Heck, even Vietnam have 3 friendlies (Germany, New Zealand and Spain) and have played overall over 10 times this year.

MegaErtz
07-13-2023, 05:28 PM
In fairness, two out of the three group matches will be little more than training exercises. Nigeria and Ireland have zero chance of making it out of the group. The only interesting match will be the final group game between Australia and Canada to determine seeding for the second round.

CroFlames
07-13-2023, 07:01 PM
So Canada has no friendlies leading up to this World Cup? They're just going to step on the field and play Nigeria next week? Heck, even Vietnam have 3 friendlies (Germany, New Zealand and Spain) and have played overall over 10 times this year.

Amazing that every country has figured out how to run a soccer association except for us.

ditty
07-14-2023, 03:16 AM
In fairness, two out of the three group matches will be little more than training exercises. Nigeria and Ireland have zero chance of making it out of the group. The only interesting match will be the final group game between Australia and Canada to determine seeding for the second round.

I'm wary of Nigeria. We played them last year twice (in Vancouver and Langford), winning 2-0 and drawing 2-2. I would put Canada as the favourites but I wouldn't say that Nigeria have zero chance of getting a result. A draw wouldn't shock me.

M*A*S*H 4077
07-14-2023, 07:04 AM
Canada played a closed door friendly against England today and tied 0-0

GirlySports
07-14-2023, 12:01 PM
I'm wary of Nigeria. We played them last year twice (in Vancouver and Langford), winning 2-0 and drawing 2-2. I would put Canada as the favourites but I wouldn't say that Nigeria have zero chance of getting a result. A draw wouldn't shock me.

Yup. Ireland aren't chumps either. They played Sweden very tough in qualifying. But it's their debut. Canada got a break getting Australia instead of one of the European powers.

Colombia tried to do us a favor by breaking some Irish legs.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-12299323/amp/Irelands-Womens-World-Cup-warm-clash-Colombia-ABANDONED-one-Irish-player-hospitalised.html

MegaErtz
07-14-2023, 04:03 PM
Ireland are terrible and will get thumped by Australia and Canada. Katie McCabe is their only player that would get on the bench for Canada, and she’s recovering from an injury right now. Ireland were destroyed by France in their last friendly and beaten badly by Colombia in a closed foot match a few days ago.

troutman
07-15-2023, 01:47 PM
I think I heard Mango on a preview feature on TSN.

https://www.tsn.ca/soccer/video/how-did-flemming-become-a-penalty-kick-machine~2723333

GirlySports
07-18-2023, 09:34 AM
French ad

cam_wmh
07-19-2023, 11:29 PM
What a twist of irony. Last year during men’s WCQ, I was in Costa Rica, and held a soft spot for them. Now, I’m on a team sponsored by the NCA, and adore this team.

But Canada is always my first love, so let’s go Canuck ladies.

FireGilbert
07-19-2023, 11:58 PM
Group B will come down to Australia vs Canada at the end of month. Looks like the group B winner is lined up for a quarter final in Brisbane I'll have to get to if Canada makes it.

M*A*S*H 4077
07-20-2023, 10:14 AM
Our defence should be pretty rock solid but we’re going to need someone to step up and score goals

Jimmy Stang
07-20-2023, 05:01 PM
The Australia-Ireland match had a lot of crunching tackles. Quite entertaining.

Australia was definitely the better team, but Ireland didn't back down. It should be an interesting group.

MegaErtz
07-20-2023, 05:01 PM
New Zealand beating Norway was a shock, but I seriously question the wisdom of expanding the tournament to thirty-two teams. There are almost no competitive matches in the group stages at all.

GirlySports
07-20-2023, 05:23 PM
The Australia-Ireland match had a lot of crunching tackles. Quite entertaining.

Australia was definitely the better team, but Ireland didn't back down. It should be an interesting group.

Ireland played well after giving up the goal. Never understood that philosophy. You are handicapping yourself.

midniteowl
07-20-2023, 06:46 PM
https://i.postimg.cc/BbJqVDwK/go-canada.gif (https://postimages.org/)

shermanator
07-20-2023, 09:21 PM
Bit of a scrappy first half with no real chances from either Canada or Nigeria. Grosso and Quinn are doing well to get the ball in space in the midfield but the quality in the final third is lacking. That's pretty typical of this team the last few years though.

The Big Chill
07-20-2023, 09:40 PM
Oof, terrible penalty attempt. Soft and not in the corner.

troutman
07-20-2023, 09:50 PM
LOL - I know it is winter Down Under, but some people there are wearing parkas! They have no idea what cold is.

13 C.

Weitz
07-20-2023, 09:58 PM
Pretty ugly game.

DoubleK
07-20-2023, 10:03 PM
Easy yellow there

MegaErtz
07-20-2023, 10:14 PM
This is a terrible spectacle to observe.

ForeverFlameFan
07-20-2023, 10:16 PM
Canada really beat themselves up this game.

MegaErtz
07-20-2023, 10:19 PM
Anyone who believes in equal pay for the women’s team should be forced to watch this farce. Neither team can put five passes together without falling over or kicking the ball out of bounds by mistake.

troutman
07-20-2023, 10:21 PM
Poor choice by Lacasse with left wing open.

browna
07-20-2023, 10:24 PM
Poor choice by Lacasse with left wing open.

Just terrible all around. Nigeria trying to kill time by playing it around but then the last woman back shorts her pass about 10 yards to give Canada a 4 on 2 counter break, but the the ball doesn't even get into the box with a selfish play.

MegaErtz
07-20-2023, 10:26 PM
Terrible referring all match. How was that not a red?

troutman
07-20-2023, 10:30 PM
Celebrating a 0-0 score. That’s soccer!

The Big Chill
07-20-2023, 10:31 PM
Really struggled to create anything all game, plus a missed penalty. Tough one.

MegaErtz
07-20-2023, 10:32 PM
The Nigerian goalkeeper was the only good part of the match. Christine Sinclair looked very old. The best part of her game has always been competing for long balls, and she just isn’t mobile enough to move around like that anymore.

browna
07-20-2023, 10:32 PM

For Nigeria it's a win, no question. TSN kept talking this past week about how Canada was disrespected by being ranked 10th best to win, but they didn't do anything to throw water on that today.

Spurs
07-20-2023, 10:33 PM
Pretty brutal first game.

Good news if they beat Ireland and Australia it doesn’t really matter, but not a good sign going forward.

dieHARDflameZ
07-20-2023, 10:34 PM
For Nigeria it's a win, no question. TSN kept talking this past week about how Canada was disrespected by being ranked 10th best to win, but they didn't do anything to throw water on that today.

I completely agree. They had nothing going in the final third. Pretty weak display to be honest.

midniteowl
07-20-2023, 10:38 PM
I'm kind of disappointed on Canada's play this game, the attack has no determination. Let's hope they pick it up next game.

M*A*S*H 4077
07-20-2023, 10:43 PM
The Nigerian goalkeeper was the only good part of the match. Christine Sinclair looked very old. The best part of her game has always been competing for long balls, and she just isn’t mobile enough to move around like that anymore.

I love Sinclair and will argue anyone that she is one of Canada’s greatest athletes ever but it’s time. She should become a super sub if they’re chasing a goal. She’s got nothing in the tank anymore, hardly moves out there.

They missed Fleming big time in the midfield. Hopefully she’s back next game. Hopefully Lawrence rebounds quickly, she was awful.

I liked Viens as she has a nose for getting the ball on goal, something Huitema doesn’t have. Huitema had a good game as the hold-up forward

But yeah. Who knows where the goals are going to come from. We miss Beckie’s athleticism and passing/crossing ability from the wings too.

midniteowl
07-20-2023, 10:52 PM
They missed Fleming big time in the midfield. Hopefully she’s back next game. Hopefully Lawrence rebounds quickly, she was awful.

I liked Viens as she has a nose for getting the ball on goal, something Huitema doesn’t have. Huitema had a good game as the hold-up forward

But yeah. Who knows where the goals are going to come from. We miss Beckie’s athleticism and passing/crossing ability from the wings too.

Yeah, I was looking for Beckie and Fleming all game. Are they injured? :(

M*A*S*H 4077
07-20-2023, 10:58 PM
Beckie blew her knee playing for Portland in NWSL so she’s not there at all. Fleming should hopefully be back next match

ditty
07-20-2023, 11:44 PM
I think getting out of the group is going to be a slog for Canada. Missing Beckie, no Fleming today (hopefully she's back for the Ireland match), and having Leon, Riviere, Prince and Rose all out of form leads to the kind of footy we saw tonight. At our best, we can compete with the favourites but, for many reasons, I don't think we've seen that Canada since the Olympics and I'm skeptical this team can get there in the next game or two.

I agree with everything that's been said about our attack tonight but even our defending was disjointed. I thought it was telling that in a first half where I thought Canada started okay, playing the first 30 minutes or so almost entirely in the Nigerian half, it was in fact Nigeria who looked most dangerous in their brief forays forward on the counter, particularly using the wings.

I thought Grosso and particularly Quinn had strong games. Viens added some spark when she came on. I was surprised to see her replace Leon rather than Sinclair.

GirlySports
07-21-2023, 07:41 AM
There's been a penalty in every game and some decisions very marginal. I would be continually pumping balls into the box looking for mistake. Any little hand or contact VAR thinks uts a penalty.

undercoverbrother
07-21-2023, 12:17 PM

yawn

GirlySports
07-21-2023, 01:02 PM

Draws are earned through hard work.

Unlike a sport that gives artificial wins and loser points.

Nigeria has qualified for all 9 editions of the Women's World Cup. They now have 4 wins, 4 draws and 19 losses.

They've never lost to Canada. Now a win and two draws.

GirlySports
07-21-2023, 06:10 PM
US-Vietnam coming up. I'm excited. Been a long journey to get to the World Cup. 8 years in the making. I hope they can keep it under 10.

Dennis Rodman's daughter is in the US lineup.

M*A*S*H 4077
07-21-2023, 07:07 PM
I hope they beat the States by 10

GirlySports
07-21-2023, 08:02 PM
2nd goal was BS, Morgan was offside.

browna
07-21-2023, 08:55 PM
Looks like TSN has pulled tha article earlier from today, musing about how many the US could score tonight, hinting at double digits. In actuality, it's 2-0, until some garbage time goal(s) to come in the last 10.

GirlySports
07-21-2023, 09:12 PM
3-0! Vietnam played awesome and organized.

GirlySports
07-23-2023, 06:31 AM
Expanded field, only 1 blowout so far.

I appreciate the minnows working hard but the finishing overall has been appalling.

M*A*S*H 4077
07-23-2023, 08:42 AM
Jamaica drew France! Go Concacaf!

GirlySports
07-25-2023, 10:07 AM
The offside rule needs to be revisited. Is this really an advantage?

There's no way a linesman could catch this in real time, the head is less than an inch ahead and it occurred 30 yards from goal. Yes, the head is a scoring part of the body but not from 30 yards away while chasing a ball.

Maybe the rule should be modified according to which body part is playing the ball? Or a central point like the sternum?

Muta
07-25-2023, 11:27 AM
As someone who played soccer for many, many years, I think the stepped foot should be the only factor that is offside, not the other body parts. The body doesn't go anywhere in this game without the leadership and priority of the foot. Having a hand, or half a head, isn't enough for that type of call IMO.

Party Elephant
07-25-2023, 11:41 AM
As someone who played soccer for many, many years, I think the stepped foot should be the only factor that is offside, not the other body parts. The body doesn't go anywhere in this game without the leadership and priority of the foot. Having a hand, or half a head, isn't enough for that type of call IMO.Tbh I always thought that was the law until these fancy new hyper-precise graphics started being used.

GirlySports
07-25-2023, 01:31 PM
Or at least the victims have to challenge. Why are FIFA reviewing offsides automatically? The Philippines had no idea and didn't protest the equalizer. I dog on hockey rules a lot but in hockey, as we all know, you have to challenge offsides, at a risk of being penalized 2 minutes if you're wrong.

MegaErtz
07-25-2023, 03:01 PM
Grandma Sinclair dropped for the Ireland match. A sad end to a great career. Some people just don’t know when to walk away.

Spurs
07-25-2023, 03:33 PM
Not sure the Grandma label is needed but she was bad in that 10 role last game. The penalty was terrible as well.

Not sure if she would work better as the 9 but if the better fit is in the MF I would hope we have better options there than her.

Bill Bumface
07-25-2023, 05:51 PM
Some people just don’t know when to walk away.

I think it's pretty great.

If playing soccer at the highest level she can convince someone to let her do it is what makes her happy, squeeze every last drop out of that. She's going to have decades to sit in a chair and reminisce, right now she's spending her time doing what she loves.

I'm think it's cool she doesn't seem at all preoccupied with what people think of her when she's gone, or trying to end it while "on top", just maximizing her limited time on earth.

Party Elephant
07-25-2023, 06:25 PM
Grandma Sinclair dropped for the Ireland match. A sad end to a great career. Some people just don’t know when to walk away.

I know this is your whole schtick but you're just being mean and disrepectful here.

MegaErtz
07-25-2023, 07:13 PM
Wayne Gretzky was a great hockey player, but if he showed up with his skates and expected to be the first line centre in the next Olympics, I don’t think telling him to take a hike would be unreasonable.

This player is forty years old. There are almost no top level footballers, especially non-goalkeepers, that can hack it at that age. Frankly, she looked about fifty, not forty, in the last match. It would have been nice if she had stepped aside and let someone younger, who can actually contribute, play instead. Christine Sinclair has been a tremendous servant, and one of our greatest athletes. Just a shame she stuck around too long.

cSpooge
07-25-2023, 07:18 PM
The offside rule needs to be revisited. Is this really an advantage?

There's no way a linesman could catch this in real time, the head is less than an inch ahead and it occurred 30 yards from goal. Yes, the head is a scoring part of the body but not from 30 yards away while chasing a ball.

Maybe the rule should be modified according to which body part is playing the ball? Or a central point like the sternum?

They are testing out a new version of the rule in the Swedish, Dutch, and Italian leagues this year.

https://clutchpoints.com/fifa-news-offside-rule-change-arsene-wenger

M*A*S*H 4077
07-26-2023, 05:59 AM
Go Canada!

MegaErtz
07-26-2023, 06:04 AM
What a strike, direct from a corner. Canada will still win easily, but what a start for Ireland.

M*A*S*H 4077
07-26-2023, 06:04 AM
An Olimpico? Disastrous start

MegaErtz
07-26-2023, 06:21 AM
How do you not mark McCabe out of the match? She’s the one player Canada have to worry about, and she looks like Zidane out there.

Yoho
07-26-2023, 06:30 AM
What a strike, direct from a corner. Canada will still win easily, but what a start for Ireland.

I like your confidence.

M*A*S*H 4077
07-26-2023, 06:42 AM
No one has looked all that good but Buchanan and Gilles have been especially poor.

And as soon as we get into the final third we look immediately to cross the ball into the box. Just slow it down and get Fleming and Grosso on the ball in dangerous spaces

M*A*S*H 4077
07-26-2023, 06:49 AM
Holy frick we scored an open play goal!

MegaErtz
07-26-2023, 06:50 AM
You mean Ireland scored from open play.

M*A*S*H 4077
07-26-2023, 06:53 AM
They all count the same. We won an Olympic gold without an open play goal so this is fun

Halftime changes I would make if I was in charge. Schmidt in for Quinn. Quinn isn’t making tackles or effectively passing the ball. Yes their teammates aren’t really helping the matter but as the deepest midfielder they need to do at least one of those two things. And Chapman in for Lawrence. Lawrence has been probably the most disappointing player in the opening game and a half. She’s not making forward runs. Been poor on the ball, and not great defensively

M*A*S*H 4077
07-26-2023, 07:10 AM
The way Canada has been playing Sinclair is a better fit than Viens for balls into the box. Grosso coming out is a surprise

I like that Priestman is willing to change things up early

M*A*S*H 4077
07-26-2023, 07:19 AM
What a pass by Schmidt and great goal be Leon! Completely different looking team in the second half

flylock shox
07-26-2023, 07:47 AM
Missed the whole first half, but based on limited viewing of the second (and highlights so far) I take it McCabe is a star player in the women's game? Looks a level above everyone else out there.

MegaErtz
07-26-2023, 07:50 AM
Yeah, she’s one of the best players in the world. This is Barcelona vs Millwall though, if Millwall had 2014 Messi or Ronaldo playing for them.

Spurs
07-26-2023, 08:03 AM
Still not impressed by the performance, although it was much better than Nigeria, but an important 3 points against a team we had to and should have beat.

Hopefully the performance continues to improve in the last game and they start to gel for the knock-out round.

Bill Bumface
07-26-2023, 09:32 AM
Is it me, or is TSN brutal? Any way to get full game replays with TSN Go or whatever they call it now without having the score shoved in your face?

Even low budget One Soccer with their tens and tens of subscribers has this figured out.

Jimmy Stang
07-26-2023, 11:25 AM
Is it me, or is TSN brutal? Any way to get full game replays with TSN Go or whatever they call it now without having the score shoved in your face?

Even low budget One Soccer with their tens and tens of subscribers has this figured out.

I "timeshift" a lot (record and watch later), and that's one of the main reasons I keep cable around (plus it would be more expensive to get TSN and Sportsnet separately).

TSN is the worst. To watch the full match on-demand on the web site, the same page spoils the score. I don't know if there is a way around it. Other than recording it and avoiding the score, but I realize that's kind of old school and many people don't have cable anymore.

Even CTV's streaming site doesn't have the Canada matches on-demand afterwards, even though they carry them live on cable.

Bill Bumface
07-26-2023, 11:58 AM
I "timeshift" a lot (record and watch later), and that's one of the main reasons I keep cable around (plus it would be more expensive to get TSN and Sportsnet separately).

TSN is the worst. To watch the full match on-demand on the web site, the same page spoils the score. I don't know if there is a way around it. Other than recording it and avoiding the score, but I realize that's kind of old school and many people don't have cable anymore.

Even CTV's streaming site doesn't have the Canada matches on-demand afterwards, even though they carry them live on cable.

Thanks! This drives me nuts. I never watch sports live. Sportsnet and OneSoccer do this well.

MLS Live throws the frigging score right on the thumbnail of the game, enough to ensure I'll never subscribe to that service.

Edit: Looks like the MLS thing can be fixed with a setting. I'll wait for TFC to not be abysmal before considering picking that up again, however.

PeteMoss
07-26-2023, 12:29 PM
I thought Canada looked pretty good in the 2nd half. If Sinclair had any finish they would have potted another one as she had two great chances that she flubbed.

browna
07-26-2023, 08:35 PM
Good win and fight back. Hope for a draw between Aus and Nigeria.

First goal is a terrible goal no matter how you cut it. Complete misjudgement off the foot, there was no Irish player within 5 yards of the keeper, who should've realized it was headed on net and got in a better position so she could jump properly and touch it over the bar. Instead starting backpedaling far too late and couldn't jump properly.

FireGilbert
07-27-2023, 06:26 AM
Wow Nigeria beats Australia 3-2! Big upset.

Canada will just need a draw in their final match to move on.

GirlySports
07-27-2023, 07:41 AM
Still need a big win to win the group.

GirlySports
07-29-2023, 04:25 PM
Jamaica drew France! Go Concacaf!

And they beat Panama.

They have not allowed a goal in the tournament. If they can draw Brazil, they're in the knockout round.

MegaErtz
07-30-2023, 11:08 AM
I'm interested to hear what people think of Canada's chances of advancing tomorrow morning.

A draw will do it, but Australia are facing elimination if they don't win, and will likely come out attacking. If Canada lose, they'll need Ireland to beat Nigeria. A draw in that match would mean Canada would be out on goal difference should they lose to Australia.

I'd give Canada about a 30% chance of progressing. Sam Kerr looks likely to play, and if she's anywhere close to full fitness, it'll be very hard for Canada to get anything out of the match.

GirlySports
07-30-2023, 11:12 AM
Australia has a poor record against Canada. It's kind of a clash of styles. As in thier play similar styles but Canada does everything just a little bit better.

Australia will be under immense pressure and will probably be nervous.

Spurs
07-30-2023, 11:50 AM
I am not a Womens soccer expert by any means but I think a draw or Canada win is the most likely result tomorrow.

Australia needing to win can be just as bad for them as a threat to us. It means they need to force things leaving themselves open and potentially play a style that doesn't suit them.

The fact that Nigeria looks like they will almost assuredly go through is crazy. Canada should have never let that game be close, qualification should be assured already.

If it weren't for how bad Canada played in that Nigeria game, i would say we are 100% through but if we repeat that performance we could easily screw this up.

midniteowl
07-30-2023, 01:39 PM
https://i.postimg.cc/BbJqVDwK/go-canada.gif (https://postimages.org/)

Johnny199r
07-30-2023, 01:54 PM
I am not a Womens soccer expert by any means but I think a draw or Canada win is the most likely result tomorrow.

Australia needing to win can be just as bad for them as a threat to us. It means they need to force things leaving themselves open and potentially play a style that doesn't suit them.

The fact that Nigeria looks like they will almost assuredly go through is crazy. Canada should have never let that game be close, qualification should be assured already.

If it weren't for how bad Canada played in that Nigeria game, i would say we are 100% through but if we repeat that performance we could easily screw this up.

We'll see if the home crowd gives them a boost.

I think the match is 50-50. An early goal for either side will be huge.

GirlySports
07-30-2023, 02:31 PM
We'll see if the home crowd gives them a boost.

I think the match is 50-50. An early goal for either side will be huge.

Yup, the longer it stays 0-0 the more desperate and 'out of control' Australia becomes. We saw what happen to New Zealand today, just couldn't break through.

Australia isn't that good. I watched them crash out of the Asian Cup last year to South Korea in the quarterfinals. And we all see how poor South Korea is.

browna
07-30-2023, 03:05 PM
From what I’ve seen in varied highlights so far from this WC, just pump the ball into the box at any opportunity.

With unconfident goalies willing to come out, and defenders treating the ball often like a grenade, lots of opportunity to get a toe on a bouncing ball rattling around in there.

GirlySports
07-30-2023, 04:33 PM
From what I’ve seen in varied highlights so far from this WC, just pump the ball into the box at any opportunity.

With unconfident goalies willing to come out, and defenders treating the ball often like a grenade, lots of opportunity to get a toe on a bouncing ball rattling around in there.

And VAR. Anything is a penalty.

M*A*S*H 4077
07-30-2023, 05:04 PM
Canada should be able to beat Australia. It is going to be a very tough, physical match, but these are the ones that you’ve got to find a way to get a result

If Sam Kerr is healthy and plays then it becomes that much harder a match

FireGilbert
07-30-2023, 09:17 PM
Canada should win or at least get the tie to advance. Aussies were horrible vs Nigeria failing to generate much attack while having too many defensive breakdowns. The home crowd and an 80% Sam Kerr will help but this game is Canada's to lose.

Barnet Flame
07-31-2023, 01:48 AM
]I am not a Womens soccer expert[/b] by any means but I think a draw or Canada win is the most likely result tomorrow.

Going by your name, you aren’t much of a Men’s soccer expert either.

Barnet Flame
07-31-2023, 01:51 AM
Yup, the longer it stays 0-0 the more desperate and 'out of control' Australia becomes. We saw what happen to New Zealand today, just couldn't break through.

Australia isn't that good. I watched them crash out of the Asian Cup last year to South Korea in the quarterfinals. And we all see how poor South Korea is.

Watch out for officiating - there is a pretty good chance the 50/50s are going to the home team.

M*A*S*H 4077
07-31-2023, 04:12 AM
Well crap, that’s a tough start. Buchanan and Lawrence both pretty tentative in closing down space of the attackers. Need to be right on them

Sheridan with an unreal save two minutes later to save Buchanan/Lawrence AGAIN! Wake up!

M*A*S*H 4077
07-31-2023, 04:39 AM
Canada just got what May have been the most outrageous VAR call of the tournament in their favour.

We’ve been absolutely brutal. Our defence is a train wreck

Edit: LOL. We are determined to give this game away. Sheridan again super weak on a corner…

MegaErtz
07-31-2023, 04:46 AM
Sinclair is a mile off the pace. Get her off the pitch now.

FireGilbert
07-31-2023, 04:53 AM
Disaster first half. Australia came out aggressive and Canada couldn’t match. Lucky to not be down by more.

MegaErtz
07-31-2023, 04:55 AM
Tough to create anything when you’re effectively only playing with ten. Sinclair is an absolute disgrace out there. The manager should be fired for putting Sinclair on the pitch after two terrible performances.

M*A*S*H 4077
07-31-2023, 04:58 AM
I know hating on Sinclair is in vogue right now but I don’t think she’s in the top 5 of our problems. A striker can only do so much with no service. No one on the pitch looks good. They look like they don’t care

Zadorsky needs to come in for Buchanan again and Schmidt for Grosso. At a minimum

MegaErtz
07-31-2023, 05:02 AM
I think it's pretty great.

If playing soccer at the highest level she can convince someone to let her do it is what makes her happy, squeeze every last drop out of that. She's going to have decades to sit in a chair and reminisce, right now she's spending her time doing what she loves.

I'm think it's cool she doesn't seem at all preoccupied with what people think of her when she's gone, or trying to end it while "on top", just maximizing her limited time on earth.

Well, she definitely did whatever she could to extend Australia’s participation in the tournament.

M*A*S*H 4077
07-31-2023, 05:08 AM
4 changes at halftime.

Two matches in a row the starting lineup has not worked at all

Big half, GO CANADA

MegaErtz
07-31-2023, 05:21 AM
Canada have no business being in this tournament.

MegaErtz
07-31-2023, 05:40 AM
Christine Sinclair is the Ruth Bader Ginsburg of women’s football.

M*A*S*H 4077
07-31-2023, 05:57 AM
This is embarrassing. No excuses. They didn’t show up and this is one of Canada’s most embarrassing sporting moments. They need to be held to account.

MegaErtz
07-31-2023, 05:59 AM
Absolutely brutal. What a bunch of jokers. There’s no room for sentiment at the top level. Christine Sinclair should never have been on the plane.

M*A*S*H 4077
07-31-2023, 06:02 AM
They should have to swim home

GirlySports
07-31-2023, 06:38 AM
This is what happens when you hardly play for a year. This is on the CSA too.

GirlySports
07-31-2023, 07:14 AM
Canada has an two legged olympic qualifier against Jamaica in September. Jamaica might be favorites now.

M*A*S*H 4077
07-31-2023, 08:00 AM
Canada Soccer holds some blame for sure, but today is on the players and Priestman. Not marking players, not stepping into tackles. Those are effort plays. The effort was non existent and Australia made them pay.

First Olympic gold medalist to not make it out of the group stage. That doesn’t help the players bargaining position

Gustavsson said before the match that it would be a legacy defining moment for his squad. Canada couldn’t match that and unfortunately it probably is a legacy defining moment for many of our players

Rambling on… Project 8 is looking more important than ever before.

Swift
07-31-2023, 08:09 AM

You're good at this prediction stuff.

Johnny199r
07-31-2023, 09:11 AM
This is what happens when you hardly play for a year. This is on the CSA too.

Lack of prep didn’t help. However there are several teams in this competition who are playing way better than Canada that had atrocious prep, too.

Canada have not been good for a while. Bouncing out in the group stage isn’t a big surprise.

Spurs
07-31-2023, 09:16 AM
That is an embarrassing result, both in the individual game and the overall tournament.

They were terrible against Nigeria, although still the clearly better team and looked like they had started to turn it around against Ireland, although with hindsight some concerning things there.

I guess we can take solace in the fact there were injuries to key players, players that are likely going to be important going forward, but no way should they have finished anything other than 1st in this group, and done so rather easily.

Sinclair has been amazing, better than amazing, in her time with Canada Soccer, but this sure looked like someone hanging on for one tournament too many.

shermanator
07-31-2023, 09:37 AM
Canada has always underachieved at the World Cup and overachieved at the Olympics. Don't know why the performances during those two tournaments are so different but that's how it has been.

The rest of the world are pouring large amounts of money into the women's game and have caught up and surpassed Canada. While our top end talent is thriving, we desperately need a professional league to develop those players who are outside of the elite. We can no longer rely on an elite talent like Sinclair and we don't have anyone even close to her level right now.

Hopefully this Project 8 league that is public is that league, and hopefully people open their wallets and support it with their money. Like everything else in Canadian soccer, that is how the game will grow.

GirlySports
07-31-2023, 10:04 AM
The Olympics is a smaller tournament with only 12 teams, 3 of them european. 8 out of 12 teams make the quarters and the other 4 are really bad, African, South American and New Zealand, although they are all improving. So you can get off to a terrible start and probably still get in, and after that, it's 3 knockout games for gold.

Incredibly Canada have won 3 consecutive Olympic quarterfinals, against GB, France and Brazil respectively.

Since their semifinal appearance in the World Cup 2003, Canada has only progressed out of the group stage 2 out of 5 times and only won 1 out of 3 knockout matches, at 1-0 win over Switzerland in Vancouver.

CaptainCrunch
07-31-2023, 10:31 AM
Ok, I'm not a huge soccer fan, but I watched during this round, and Canada was just not on the level in their 3 games.

I think I've become a fan of the Japanese team, my god their forward group is fast, they were just putting the ball into spots and then using their hyperspeed to get to it.

Really creative stuff.

cam_calderon
07-31-2023, 11:18 AM
Till next time, guys.

calgarygeologist
07-31-2023, 11:59 AM
Ok, I'm not a huge soccer fan, but I watched during this round, and Canada was just not on the level in their 3 games.

I think I've become a fan of the Japanese team, my god their forward group is fast, they were just putting the ball into spots and then using their hyperspeed to get to it.

Really creative stuff.

I'm just a casual fan of soccer (basically just interested in the major international tournaments) and Japan has been really interesting recently. In the men's world cup they had a surprising group win against strong teams like Spain and Germany with a loss on penalty kicks against Croatia in the knockout round. Now their women are having a great showing at the World Cup. They have been impressing me in terms of overall program development.

GirlySports
07-31-2023, 12:17 PM
I'm just a casual fan of soccer (basically just interested in the major international tournaments) and Japan has been really interesting recently. In the men's world cup they had a surprising group win against strong teams like Spain and Germany with a loss on penalty kicks against Croatia in the knockout round. Now their women are having a great showing at the World Cup. They have been impressing me in terms of overall program development.

The Japanese women's team is having a resurgence after rebuilding their team. They were the 2011 World Champions, 2012 Olympic silver medalists and 2015 World runner-up. But that team retired and they've been struggling until this World Cup. Impressive in the Group Stage so far but will be a tough road. Norway first and then two of France/US/Netherlands in the QF and SF.

The New Zealand half the draw is shaping up to be tougher than the Australia half because Canada and China (and possibly Brazil) are out.

browna
07-31-2023, 07:37 PM
Huffing and puffing about being disrespected by being ranked so low, but they just don't have it. No scoring or threat of scoring outside of Sinclair who has lost a couple steps.

Australia has all the pressure on them but their the ones that looked confident.

While other teams are certainly catching thier programs up to Canada, and there isn't nearly the disparity as their is among countries in the Men's game, but Canada to have fallen this much to score only one goal against these three opponents is as much mental is it is physical.

Becuase of that, I can see them doing just fine in the Fall and qualifying for the Olympics (and doing fine there too) if they don't make any rash moves in the next 2 months.

FireGilbert
07-31-2023, 07:43 PM
Could have accepted a tight one goal loss but a 4 nil drubbing is a massive choke.

Aussies have also been underwhelming all tournament but stepped up when it mattered most.

GirlySports
08-01-2023, 04:28 AM
Portugal were this close to sending the Americans packing

M*A*S*H 4077
08-01-2023, 08:25 AM
That’s a darn shame. So close Portugal

GirlySports
08-01-2023, 09:06 AM
You think Canada did bad, at least they weren't China.

Chinese press will have some questions as well as they (current Asian Champions) fail to get out of the group stage for the first time ever at a World Cup.

6-1 thrashing by England and at least Canada didn't give up goals like this.

GirlySports
08-01-2023, 12:10 PM

GirlySports
08-02-2023, 03:33 AM

GirlySports
08-02-2023, 07:08 AM
And Jamaica!

M*A*S*H 4077
08-02-2023, 10:38 AM
Love it when giants fall. Except for us of course

Ozy_Flame
08-02-2023, 10:48 AM
Hell hath no fury like an Italian woman scorned. I know, I'm married to one :lol:

CroFlames
08-03-2023, 06:09 AM
Why did they play 16 minutes of stoppage time in the Germany match

GirlySports
08-03-2023, 06:20 AM
Why did they play 16 minutes of stoppage time in the Germany match

Koreans were injured and delaying throughout stoppage time. It's nice to see that FIFA add proper time.

What a wild World Cup.

GirlySports
08-03-2023, 06:28 AM
Morocco is the most amazing story. First Arab country to qualify for a women's world cup. They were a longshot even in the African championships. The team was only established in 1998 and these girls probably take great risks to play. And lost their first game 6-0 to Germany, who are going home.

M*A*S*H 4077
08-03-2023, 07:25 AM
So Canada is no longer the most embarrassing early exit, thanks Germany

GirlySports
08-03-2023, 12:08 PM

Trivia: anyone remember Pedros? What is he infamous for?

Everyone remembers Southgate but few remember Pedros. On June 26, 1996 the semifinals of Euro 96. Both matches went to penalties and 22 out of 24 were made. Only misses were Pedros and Southgate.

https://www.fourfourtwo.com/features/kick-killed-a-career-sorry-decline-france-star-reynald-pedros

MegaErtz
08-04-2023, 09:56 PM
Knockout matches start tonight. My predictions:

Spain
Japan
Holland
USA
England
Australia
Colombia
France

I’ll be shocked if I don’t go 8/8.

AndyM
08-04-2023, 10:04 PM
I don't have as much faith in the USA as you do. They are lacking the drive and passion from previous tournaments. Maybe the Portugal post last match is the wake-up call the Americans need? Or perhaps Sweden going perfect in knockout will have them not on the front foot against US.

browna
08-04-2023, 10:26 PM
Given that there is so much "parity", who knows. Parity in the fact that there are a ton of terrible mistakes, misjudgements on ball flights and kicks stregths and fundamental mistakes made by every team, good and bad, all over the field, so it's the team, game by game, that either has the least mistakes, or least catastrophic ones, and to an opponent who can or can't take advantage of those...and lots of teams haven't taken advantage of other team breakdowns.

This US could easily be out and Brazil, German and Canadians in right now, but none of those teams have played great; other teams just haven't made the amount of mistakes on those situations to allow Canada and Germany in. Sinclair scores on the PK and Canada are through, playing no better than they have to this point and still could've been thrashed by Aus.

US and Dutch of teams left do have the most amount of skilled players less likely to make mistakes and more likely with the ability to capitalize on opponents mistakes, but the timing of mistakes has to line up to have that superiority show through...it didn't for Canada Germany and Brazil but better teams didnt advance in their place either.

The difference this year in the WC is that the 'lesser' teams now do have one or two decent players who are in the realm of capitalizing on a powerhouse teams (still far too common) mistakes, and are better organized, which is why there has been these apparent "upsets".

MegaErtz
08-04-2023, 11:12 PM
I don’t think we’ll see any upsets in the second round.

You Need a Thneed
08-05-2023, 11:34 PM
I don’t think we’ll see any upsets in the second round.

And Sweden over US should not be considered an upset at this point. Neither the other way either of course.

GirlySports
08-06-2023, 03:43 AM
Whoever is up, US looks pretty good so far. Sweden tight as hell which is in their DNA. Game really needs a goal.

Cecil Terwilliger
08-06-2023, 05:46 AM
Yes! Bye, bye USA.

FireGilbert
08-06-2023, 05:49 AM
I don't like shootouts but the USA losing on a millimeter VAR decision after missing 3 kicks is pretty awesome.

MegaErtz
08-06-2023, 05:52 AM
Was that in for sure? I get the goal line technology is supposed to be bullet proof, but the replay they showed on American television was hardly conclusive.

Johnny Makarov
08-06-2023, 05:52 AM
USA USA!USA!

hahahah suckers.

Johnny Makarov
08-06-2023, 05:55 AM
The Japanese are going to mop the floor with the Swedes.

What were they tonight on goal kicks and throw ins? 0-30?? lol. I don't think they got a single ball.

Yoho
08-06-2023, 06:54 AM
Yes! Bye, bye USA.

Farewell pony tail posse!

GirlySports
08-06-2023, 07:19 AM
Thought the Swedes were going to choke again after those 2 misses

You Need a Thneed
08-06-2023, 08:16 AM
Thought the Swedes were going to choke again after those 2 misses

The Script for these PKs was nearly the same as the Olympic Final

Sweden just on the other side this time.

M*A*S*H 4077
08-06-2023, 08:29 AM
Today is a great day

Winsor_Pilates
08-06-2023, 03:35 PM
Did it cross the line?
Images I've seen don't look like it; not that I'm complaining at the result.

GirlySports
08-06-2023, 03:46 PM
Did it cross the line?
Images I've seen don't look like it; not that I'm complaining at the result.

If we trust the technology like in tennis than it crossed the line and we have to accept it. Otherwise, no point having it.

midniteowl
08-06-2023, 03:50 PM
Wait, wat....USA lost? :w00t:

https://i.postimg.cc/T1cHBFVv/goofy-laugh.gif (https://postimages.org/)

Winsor_Pilates
08-07-2023, 08:51 AM
If we trust the technology like in tennis than it crossed the line and we have to accept it. Otherwise, no point having it.
Was it goal line technology?
I read it was a VAR check, not goal line tech.

NM; I see it was in fact goal line tech; good goal.

savemedrzaius
08-07-2023, 09:24 AM
I find Women's football more entertaining than the men's. It seems more physical was they let more contact go and the women don't flop as much. Also seems to be way more chances compared to the men's.

MegaErtz
08-08-2023, 08:55 PM
There are definitely a lot more mistakes! Not sure about chances, though.

My picks for the quarter-finals:

Spain
Japan
France
England

GirlySports
08-09-2023, 09:02 AM
There are definitely a lot more mistakes! Not sure about chances, though.

My picks for the quarter-finals:

Spain
Japan
France
England

Netherlands
Japan
France
Colombia

Taking the Netherlands for the height and experience. Taking Colombia because, well, it's England and they'll be tired after playing extra time and James is suspended. And it would be cool to see a South American team in the semis as it would breakdown barriers in that region.

midniteowl
08-09-2023, 03:04 PM
So, these are the QF teams?
https://i.postimg.cc/W1LFHNmR/women-QF-3.jpg (https://postimages.org/)
https://i.postimg.cc/0yYMgTZz/women-QF-4jpg.jpg (https://postimages.org/)

The teams I want to see in the Semi are:
https://i.postimg.cc/6QB7BM1Y/women-SF-3.jpg (https://postimages.org/)
https://i.postimg.cc/JhKs0jfm/women-SF-4.jpg (https://postimages.org/)

FireGilbert
08-09-2023, 08:10 PM
The Aussie women are red hot and will be playing in Australia's loudest football stadium. I'll buck the trend and pick them over France.

GirlySports
08-10-2023, 08:25 PM
Spain got away with one, that was a clear penalty. Can't believe they reversed it.

cheevers
08-10-2023, 08:43 PM
That Dutch defender is an idiot.

browna
08-10-2023, 08:51 PM
That Dutch defender is an idiot.

I haven’t seen such a blatant and intentional hand ball in the box in a long time, especially from a defender. She literally stuck her arm out out and the moves her hand to block the ball. It’s part of the reason you see defenders hold arms behind their back in those situations, but that’s more so something doesn’t inadvertently happen when the ball is crossed in.

And now she scores as a forward! Spain with terrible defending since the goal.

GirlySports
08-12-2023, 09:22 AM
Netherlands
Japan
France
Colombia

Taking the Netherlands for the height and experience. Taking Colombia because, well, it's England and they'll be tired after playing extra time and James is suspended. And it would be cool to see a South American team in the semis as it would breakdown barriers in that region.

I'm good at this ;)

Muta
08-12-2023, 12:26 PM
Just watched that France-Australia shootout - wow, that was insane! So so good

GirlySports
08-12-2023, 04:14 PM
Just watched that France-Australia shootout - wow, that was insane! So so good

Not sure why France changed keepers, not sure she was any better. Couple of shots went through her hands. The starter had a great game.

FireGilbert
08-12-2023, 10:49 PM
Crazy shootout with both teams having multiple chances to win. Would have been a riot in Brisbane if Australia was eliminated on a goalie being off the line by inches call. That was a huge 2 saves in a row by the keeper. The French coach definitely over thought things subbing in the keeper and the striker who missed twice.