PDA

View Full Version : Game 3: Toronto Argonauts vs CALGARY STAMPEDERS

OzSome
07-09-2015, 07:31 PM
I cannot remember the last time the Stamps played on a Monday night on a non-holiday Monday. This is the third game that Toronto Argonauts is going to play on the road early this season. Argos played their first game in Fort McMurray as a home team versus the Eskimos and won the game. Last week they won in an exciting double OT in Saskatchewan. Toronto is now 2-0 while Stamps after the lost vs Montreal is 1-1. Stamps is still tied for first place in the West though.

OFFENSE:

QB Bo Levi Mitchell is having a slow start so far. Even though the Stamps lost last game Mitchell did not throw any interception last week against Montreal. SB Marquay McDaniel was the best receiver last week catching 6 passes for 113 yards and most of those catches are late in the game when Stamps needed some sparks on offense. R Jeff Fuller missed the game last week after an outstanding game in Game 1. It looks like he'll be in the lineup on Monday night. WR Joe West and WR Simon Charbonneau-Campeau caught 3 passes each while WR Eric Rogers caught 2 and Parker 4 times. Eric Rogers got hurt during the Montreal game and might be questionable for the game on Monday night.
Stamps OLine I think has been struggling early in this season, They had a hard time stopping the Alouettes defense last week and they were just good for the win on the first game against Hamilton. They definitely misses Brett Jones(gone to NY Giants) and Stanley Bryant especially. Edwin Harrison who replaced Bryant this season been struggling. With the OLine struggling, both Mitchell and RB Jon Cornish struggled as well. I am sure OLine will get better on Monday night now that the whole group played a couple games together already.

DEFENSE:

Last week's game must be one of the worst game defense ever played for a long time. Defense could not contain a rookie QB Cato who were playing his 1st professional football game. Cato just shredded the defense and looks like he had all the time in the world to throw the ball. Stamps D need to better this time with MLB Juwan Simpson coming back after missing the game last week. Unfortunately DE Charleston Hughes might miss the game as he left in the 2nd half last week due to injury. I am hoping to see DE Brandon Boudreaux in the lineup.

SPECIAL TEAM:

Coverage team has been bad in the first two games. They gave up a TD on punt return vs Hamilton(Brandon Banks) and almost gave up a couple of punt return by Stefan Logan last week. The only reason Logan did not scored a couple of TD return was because punter Rob Maver. Return game is just okay but Tim Brown needs to get better.

OPPONENT:

Ricky Ray who?? Pretty impressive starts by QB Trevor Harris so far early this season. He's been playing like a veteran QB so far especially late in the game in Saskatchewan where they came back to tie the game with over a minute left in the game. He also looked poised in double OT. It looks like Andre Durie will be gone for the season due to injury.

Hopefully after that spanking last week, Stamps plays much better. Another rookie QB, I am hoping the Stubler's defense pressure the QB a lot more and not just rely on their DBs to make the play. Offense also need to get Jon Cornish going to alleviate some pressure on BLM a little bit.

GAME TIME: Monday, July 13th starting at 7pm MDT
McMahon Stadium
TELEVISED: TSN and ESPN3 will also televised the game in the US.

GO STAMPS GO!!!!

MissTeeks
07-10-2015, 01:28 PM
@Newstalkstamps: WR Eric Rogers given green light to play vs @TorontoArgos

Mathgod
07-10-2015, 02:40 PM
Impossible to predict the outcome of this game. It entirely depends on which Stamps team takes to the field.

Frank MetaMusil
07-10-2015, 03:52 PM
They need to rush Cornish more than 3 attempts/quarter. So far in 2 games he has a measly 25. Not enough.

OzSome
07-10-2015, 04:17 PM
Impossible to predict the outcome of this game. It entirely depends on which Stamps team takes to the field.

The last few seasons, Stamps-Argos games gets so strange. Stamps seems to lose their discipline against this team and gets called with a lot of penalties mostly dumb penalties. I am sure it will be different this time. Stamps D will not take Harris lightly as he's been playing well already. I agree, we need Cornish to make some plays and let him run, run and run.

Da_Chief
07-10-2015, 08:55 PM
2 offensive changes imo.

Gary Williams start; Edwin Harrison backup
Greg Wilson in; Joe West released

OzSome
07-12-2015, 12:51 PM
Looks like R Jeff Fuller, MLB Juwan Simpson and DE Brandon Boudreaux are going to be in the lineup tomorrow night. R Sedderik Cunningham won't be in the lineup and looks like both R Eric Rogers and DE Charleston Hughes injuries are not as bad as it looks so they will both play.

I was very impressed with Boudreaux in the pre-season games and I hope he become the next Cordarro Law and Shawn Lemon playing on the opposite side of the Sackmaster.

FLAMESRULE
07-12-2015, 01:13 PM
Monday CFL games suck. Never again Stamps.

Need to play much better on O and control the lines. Run Cornish a lot. Need far better discipline as well.

Resolute 14
07-12-2015, 04:57 PM
Thank the Pan-Am Games for this. That said, I'd be pissed if I was the Flames/Stamps. A non-holiday Monday, one day after Stampede. They'll be lucky if they draw 20,000.

Trolleydodger
07-12-2015, 06:23 PM
Monday CFL games suck. Never again Stamps.

Need to play much better on O and control the lines. Run Cornish a lot. Need far better discipline as well.

You mustn't remember when they used to have mid week games.

Fire
07-12-2015, 08:04 PM
Thank the Pan-Am Games for this. That said, I'd be pissed if I was the Flames/Stamps. A non-holiday Monday, one day after Stampede. They'll be lucky if they draw 20,000.

Why would the Pan-Am Games have anything to do with it being on Monday? I thought they put the game on Monday because they didn't want to conflict with the Stampede.

Da_Chief
07-12-2015, 09:04 PM
^ Probably cuz the Stamps are usually on the road come Stampede. Would've been Montreal-Toronto trip. Because of the Pan Am games, the game has to be in Calgary.

OzSome
07-12-2015, 11:54 PM
Why would the Pan-Am Games have anything to do with it being on Monday? I thought they put the game on Monday because they didn't want to conflict with the Stampede.

I can't even remember if Stampeders ever been at home during Stampede. They usually play on the road during Stampede unfortunately they cannot play in Toronto last week due to Pan Am games so the next best thing is play it on a Monday night. I really think they won't lose people because it is being played on Monday night and a day after Stampede. I would go but we are driving to Edmonton on Monday afternoon for business stuff the next morning. I guess I'll just watch the game on TV at the hotel or some bar.

Resolute 14
07-13-2015, 08:09 AM

Because the CFL is getting the Argos' Prairie swing out of the way while Toronto is occupied with the Pan-Am Games. The game is being played tonight because of conflicts with the Stampede preventing it on the weekend, but the CFL made this ridiculous schedule because of the Pan-Am Games. And they already suffered with an embarrassing official attendance of 4900 for the "home opener" in Fort McMurray, and the real attendance appeared to be far less than that.

dash_pinched
07-13-2015, 10:55 AM
I want to see at least 20 touches for #9 tonight (at least 16 carries and 4 passes thrown to him).

FLAMESRULE
07-13-2015, 12:55 PM
You mustn't remember when they used to have mid week games.

I do, also ######ed. CFL is for weekends. Friday night double headers and then weekend games. Monday after Stampede is so dumb...would be far better playing it during Stampede to attract tourists etc to the game.

And what would conflict with the Stampede?? It doesn't use McMahon as far as I know. If its the rodeo, I'll laugh. Pretty sure a city of a million can fill both on a nice afternoon.

The Familia
07-13-2015, 01:28 PM
Looking forward to being outside for the game! Hopefully it doesn't rain. Curious if Trevor Harris is the real deal or if the Stamps D can snuff him out.

Resolute 14
07-13-2015, 02:01 PM
I do, also ######ed. CFL is for weekends. Friday night double headers and then weekend games. Monday after Stampede is so dumb...would be far better playing it during Stampede to attract tourists etc to the game.

And what would conflict with the Stampede?? It doesn't use McMahon as far as I know. If its the rodeo, I'll laugh. Pretty sure a city of a million can fill both on a nice afternoon.

The Stampede swamps everything else in the city. When 10% of the population is going to the grounds every day for 10 days - on top of Stampede breakfasts, bar events, etc. - it burns people out.

Jimmy Stang
07-13-2015, 02:28 PM

Much of the McMahon parking is rented out for RVs during Stampede.

Parking aside, I think that the Stamps would still prefer to be out of town during Stampede. There is just too much pulling at people's time and money over those ten days, which I honestly think would lead to a very poor crowd.

That being said, the Monday immediately following Stampede is probably even worse, and it won't help if the weather remains unsettled.

Yoho
07-13-2015, 03:43 PM
@SUNMitchell: Stamps opened at -6 against Argos. It's now up to -7.5 in most spots. #CFL

darklord700
07-13-2015, 03:47 PM
I have ticket to this game tonight. If it rains heavily, will the game get cancelled?

Yoho
07-13-2015, 03:51 PM
I have ticket to this game tonight. If it rains heavily, will the game get cancelled?

Absolutely, similar to if its minus 30 in the Western final.

calf
07-13-2015, 04:04 PM
Only lightning will cause delays.

Yoho
07-13-2015, 07:15 PM
@SUNMitchell: Unless the game somehow gets away from them, I'll be shocked if Jon Cornish doesn't carry it around 20 times. #CFL

transplant99
07-13-2015, 07:26 PM
@SUNMitchell: Unless the game somehow gets away from them, I'll be shocked if Jon Cornish doesn't carry it around 20 times. #CFL

Hmmm....then its likely we see 5 fumbles.

That was horrendous.

PostandIn
07-13-2015, 07:35 PM
The Stamps actually aren't good enough to win against anyone while taking idiotic amounts of penalties.

PostandIn
07-13-2015, 07:38 PM
Too easy. Terrible defence.

Jbo
07-13-2015, 07:41 PM
CFL reffing at its finest tonight. Seriously, just awful.

PostandIn
07-13-2015, 07:48 PM
Calgary's defensive backfield is awfuler.

Jbo
07-13-2015, 07:51 PM
How to you call a face mask on Cal and not call the number of the player? How has TO gotten away with two full face mask grabs? I know that Calgary is far from a disciplined team with penalties but this is seriously brutal

browna
07-13-2015, 07:53 PM
Even TSN couln't find that facemask with the 53 yard face mask call.

Argos new President and CEO (announced today as of the end of 2015) is currently the CFL's President and COO...so get used to some Toronto assistance the rest of this year.

Jbo
07-13-2015, 07:54 PM
Even TSN couln't find that facemask with the 53 yard face mask call.

Argos new President and CEO (announced today as of the end of 2015) is currently the CFL's President and COO...so get used to some Toronto assistance the rest of this year.

Not one call on them all game! Talk about one-sided.

Edit: there is one finally

Jbo
07-13-2015, 07:57 PM
Touchdown Rogers!

dash_pinched
07-13-2015, 07:57 PM
That was the Eric Rogers drive.

Yoho
07-13-2015, 07:58 PM
@SUNMitchell: Keep a close eye on Paredes tonight. He looked OK in warmups, but you gotta wonder what his range is. #CFL

Jbo
07-13-2015, 08:03 PM
Great job creating the Fumble and Cornish runs it in!

The Big Chill
07-13-2015, 08:09 PM
That's a gross injury.

transplant99
07-13-2015, 08:09 PM
Harrison injury looked no good....maybe an Achilles?

Anyhow, team looks a bit better but that O Line is a work in progress at best and losing Harrison really hurts as they need time to get to gel.

The Big Chill
07-13-2015, 08:15 PM
Looked like a dislocated ankle for Harrison. And now Federkeil is down. Not good.

Yoho
07-13-2015, 08:17 PM
Offence on fire right now

PostandIn
07-13-2015, 08:19 PM
Argo face mask on the left tackle uncalled on the TD.

PostandIn
07-13-2015, 08:24 PM
More world class DB work.

The Big Chill
07-13-2015, 08:26 PM
Bennett did everything right and then whiffed on the ball.

JiriHrdina
07-13-2015, 08:42 PM
Far too many penalties being called this season. Really impacting the quality of the game and the CFL cannot afford any erosion in the quality of play.
They need to figure it out.

Yoho
07-13-2015, 08:59 PM
Far too many penalties being called this season. Really impacting the quality of the game and the CFL cannot afford any erosion in the quality of play.
They need to figure it out.
It's turned into which team can get lucky and have the fewest phantom calls against who wins.

flamesfan6
07-13-2015, 09:05 PM
what was the penalty on that return? .........

PostandIn
07-13-2015, 09:20 PM
Nice play by Brown. Argos getting most of the calls and breaks so far.

browna
07-13-2015, 09:23 PM
I assume that ESPN (whatever version) is doing the game? If they do, do they just use TSN's feed/commentators? I'd assume so, considering how many US football references Cuthbert and Suitor are making, trying to sound smarter than they are.

flamesfan6
07-13-2015, 09:26 PM
so toronto is just allowed to hold our players arm preventing him from making the tackle? where as everything the stamps do is a penalty?

OzSome
07-13-2015, 09:27 PM
Seriously?? No holding penalty on that punt return. They threw a flag then claimed there was infraction. Hmmm..

Frank MetaMusil
07-13-2015, 09:28 PM
Yeah this is ugly. Argos get away with a no yards call and then this one. No more 2 and outs with the 6 yard passes either. RUN THE BALL!

browna
07-13-2015, 09:29 PM
Typical Suitor too...waiting until the ref makes the call about no penalty and then claims he didn't see a penalty. At least Cuthbert said it seems fishy.

Remember, the new CFL President is currently the Argos President.

Hockeyguy15
07-13-2015, 09:36 PM
This is ridiculous.

OzSome
07-13-2015, 09:38 PM
Good stop by Rob Cote on Owens' punt return. No gain.

troutman
07-13-2015, 09:39 PM
Stamps have not fully impressed since the West Final.

BEANZ
07-13-2015, 09:39 PM
This is damn near unwatchable.

PostandIn
07-13-2015, 09:44 PM
^ yep, looks like high school ball with the bad reffing and number mental mistakes by the Stamps. Cornish doesn't look all that dangerous with a patch Work O line.

Hockeyguy15
07-13-2015, 09:51 PM
Speaking of a mental error.

EldrickOnIce
07-13-2015, 09:55 PM
I assume that ESPN (whatever version) is doing the game? If they do, do they just use TSN's feed/commentators? I'd assume so, considering how many US football references Cuthbert and Suitor are making, trying to sound smarter than they are.

Yes, it's on ESPN, and using the TSN broadcast

Jbo
07-13-2015, 10:00 PM
That's it...unreal...these refs need to no longer be employed

The Big Chill
Totally BS call.

dash_pinched
Hey CFL refs, receivers can block downfield once the ball is caught.

Hockeyguy15
What the hell kind of a call was that???

OzSome
Wow a phantom call on Jeff Fuller.

The Big Chill
07-13-2015, 10:01 PM
What a joke. Drive killing penalty.

EldrickOnIce
This is damn near unwatchable.

This continues to be unwatchable.
What a brutal call, and could cost the game

Hemi-Cuda
I'm a casual CFL fan at best, but this officiating is eliminating any desire to keep watching games this year. Total gong show so far this season

Hockeyguy15
07-13-2015, 10:02 PM
Give us a freebie call in return.

jayswin
Wow, the CFL is unfortunately quickly becoming a complete farce due to officiating. I know it's been bad for years, but this year they're taking it to a whole new level.

Brutal.

PostandIn
I always wonder if a teams management goes ape #### on the league office after a game like this. Officiating is beyond pathetic.

Yoho
07-13-2015, 10:07 PM
Calgary with 147 yrds in penalties

Hockeyguy15
Good.

Jbo
Well despite the best efforts of the Toronto Football league and the refs, stamps manage to squeeze this one out

EldrickOnIce
Well, as least justice is served

OzSome
Wow wishful thinking on Cuthbert. Pass Interference on Bennett my butt!! :)

dash_pinched
07-13-2015, 10:09 PM
It's great beating Toronto and the zebras.

Hockeyguy15
If we don't lose those 2 linemen it isn't this close, regardless of penalties.

browna
Just like game 1, feels like 2 wins, beating the opponents and then the team wearing the stripes.

EldrickOnIce
Well despite the best efforts of the Toronto Football league and the refs, stamps manage to squeeze this one out

The TFL?

Jbo
07-13-2015, 10:11 PM
The TFL?

TFL, a division of Maple Leaf Sports & Entertainment

Yoho
07-13-2015, 10:14 PM
Those screens at the end of the game were brilliant

transplant99
07-13-2015, 10:15 PM
All in all a pretty gutsy effort by the guys.

When you lose 2 starting tackles and are a work in progress to begin with on the Oline...you really shouldn't be in many games. Looking at it this way...they were down 80% of their starting Oline from the Grey Cup win. That's a lot to overcome.

Rogers and Fuller are going to be fine...Cornish looked like he was starting to get it going later in the game and Bo was really good. The defense is fine as well.

Get the special teams and penalties figured out (easily doable), get some continuity on the Oline(much more difficult as its a non-import dominated position) and this team is easily one of the elite clubs in the CFL again.

2-1 and haven't played a great game yet. I'll take it! Now go work your magic Huf.

The Big Chill
07-13-2015, 10:19 PM
Cornish has really matured over the last couple years. I liked his post-game interview. Gave lots of credit to teammates and the organization and blatantly said he needs to step up his own game.

OzSome
07-13-2015, 10:21 PM
Woohoo!! good win by the Stamps 25-20. Having a double threat (Rogers and Fuller) is a treat. Offense finally came through and our defense played well also. Wow Quinn Smith, a DLinemen came through and helped out the decimated OLine who lost both Harrison and Federkeil to injuries in the first half. For some reason everytime these two teams plays against each other, the game is filled with penalties. Love the win.

By the way, Quinn Smith played a few series as an OLine last season and he also played DLine and some OLine in college.

Flickered Flame
07-13-2015, 11:25 PM
According to a bunch of different reporters, Federkeil in a walking boot after the game.

OzSome
07-14-2015, 06:38 AM
According to a bunch of different reporters, Federkeil in a walking boot after the game.

I didn't really see what happened to both Federkeil and Harrison. We were having dinner and sort of watching the game without the sound on this restaurant. I just saw Harrison being taken of the field and the same goes to Federkeil.

Hockeyguy15
07-14-2015, 09:56 AM
Harrison went down without being touched, it looked like his foot got caught in the turf and he twisted his ankle. I wouldn't be surprised if it was broken.

dash_pinched
07-14-2015, 10:08 AM
Harrison went down without being touched, it looked like his foot got caught in the turf and he twisted his ankle. I wouldn't be surprised if it was broken.

It's being reported that Edwin Harrison is indeed out for the year with a broken ankle. Also Charbonneau-Campeau is done for the year (undisclosed injury) and Dan Federkeil will likely miss a few weeks. Costly victory last night.

OzSome
07-14-2015, 10:20 PM
It's being reported that Edwin Harrison is indeed out for the year with a broken ankle. Also Charbonneau-Campeau is done for the year (undisclosed injury) and Dan Federkeil will likely miss a few weeks. Costly victory last night.

I didn't even know Campeau went down with injury. That's sucks because he is a gutsy player. With Campeau out for the season, looks like Lemar Durant might get more chances to play.

Flickered Flame
07-14-2015, 11:04 PM
It wouldn't surprise me if they bring Arthur back. Easy move for the ratio.

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk

Drake
07-16-2015, 03:48 PM
@SunMitchell

Per sources, Stamps have been in contact with vet Jabari Arthur, who they cut in June. Don't be surprised if shows up next week.