PDA

View Full Version : GAME 1: Grey Cup Rematch - Hamilton at CALGARY

OzSome
06-23-2015, 05:12 PM
Game on Friday, June 26 at 7pm at McMahon Stadium. It is going to be televised on TSN and ESPN3(in the US).

CFL is back this week and the first game starts on Thursday night. Stampeders on the other hand will be playing their season opener at home against the team they beat in 2014 Grey Cup game Hamilton Tigercats.

OFFENSE:

Not a lot of changes in offense except the Offensive Line position and receiving position. Gone are last year's CFL Most Outstanding Linemen C Brett Jones(signed with NFL New York Giants), International All-Star OL Stanley Bryant(signed with Winnipeg). Stamps also lost a veteran presence in receiving with Nik Lewis moving on to sign with Montreal, Maurice Price traded to Ottawa, Brad Sinopli signing with Ottawa, Chris Bauman and Jabari Arthur getting released. Quarterbacking and Running Back positions are pretty much the same as last season.
Newcomers on offense is the steal of the 2015 Draft National Receiver Lemar Durant, who had an excellent training camp. Another receiver who had a fantastic training camp is Greg Wilson who caught some passes from QB Peyton Manning in Denver last season. Wilson is probably not going to play in the first game but you never know.

DEFENSE:

Some new faces are going to be on defensive side. Head Coach Hufnagel and the rest of the defensive coaches claimed these might be the toughest competition they ever seen in training camp for a long time. Gone are DE Shawn Lemon signing a contract in the NFL, Veteran DT Demonte Bolden released after the training camp. Even a veteran DT Eric Taylor formerly of BC Lions did not survive the cut. DB/LB Lin-J Shell who played well last season was one of the final cuts in the training camp this season. Shel has since signed with Winnipeg(practice roster).
Newcomers this season are DT Derek Wiggan(2014 draft pick), DE Brandon Boudreaux who had a strong training camp but might not be dressed for the game as he was put on a 1-game injury list. LB Jesper Simmons, Ottawa's top defensive player of last season. Simmons was picked up on a trade along with receiver Dan Buckner(released) for R Maurice Price. DB Joe Burnett, who played for Edmonton Eskimos last season is one of the new DB in the team.

SPECIAL TEAM:

Special Team is pretty much the same from last season as far as returner, kicking, punting and long snapper. The changes are pretty much on the coverage and blocking team. Their #1 returner last season Jock Sanders is no longer in the team. In this game our #1 returner is Sederik Cunningham unless Tim Brown is activated from practice roster. I was very impressed with the way the coverage team especially played during the two pre-season game. Blocking team actually played well as well.

OPPONENT:

Hamilton Tigercats is mired with tons of injuries in the training camp. R Luke Tasker, RB CJ Gable and HB Rico Murray are on a one-game injury list, DE Eric Norwood is on a 6-game injury list and being replaced by DE Sam Scott, who was one of the final cut in their training camp. DT Brian Bulcke, DT Lyndon Gaydosh and R Spencer Watt are out for the season. Hamilton coach Kent Austin still think they are going to be a tough team to beat this season though.

I cannot wait to see the first game. I am very excited to see some of the young guys perform in the regular season.

GO STAMPS GO!!!

jayswin
06-23-2015, 05:46 PM
Like it's on today?

mile
06-23-2015, 06:00 PM
It's on Friday.

jayswin
06-23-2015, 06:09 PM
Haha thanks, I figured I'd have seen it in the paper if it was today. There was just nothing in the OP or thread title saying Friday, but it did have the time announced. Usually when there's a time and channel but no day in a thread it means it's today.

Looking forward to this season.

The Familia
06-23-2015, 06:59 PM
Can't believe I have to miss the season opener....should be a good game! Pumped for the season!

OzSome
06-23-2015, 08:48 PM
Like it's on today?

my bad.. i forgot to write down Friday, June 26

OzSome
06-26-2015, 07:42 AM
It is game day. I am hearing RB/Returner Tim Brown will play his first game as a Stampeder tonight in place of Sederrik Cunningham. Hufnagel is saying they need a backup RB tonight and since Matt Walter was a little banged up and did not play last game he wants another backup RB to give Jon Cornish some rest from time to time tonight.

Sainters7
06-26-2015, 07:14 PM
Fuller is such a beast. Really hoping he can stay healthy

EDIT: And then that. Bad decision by Bo

transplant99
06-26-2015, 07:39 PM
Hamilton has zero points on offense and lead 14-7....Stamps just shooting themselves in the foot.

OzSome
06-26-2015, 07:39 PM
Freaking Speedy Banks strikes again. This time there is no penalty.

OzSome
06-26-2015, 07:53 PM
Pretty strange game so far. Stamps just got 2 points on special team after the Hamilton centre overthrew the ball on punter Justin Medlock.

DropIt
06-26-2015, 08:05 PM
"Remember folks, you can get called for a horse collar tackle, even if you dont actually horse collar tackle a player."

The CFL is suck a joke of a "professional" sports league

OzSome
06-26-2015, 08:13 PM
Come on!! You call that a late hit??

transplant99
06-26-2015, 08:25 PM
Bo looks no good at all....after a great start. Weird game.

OzSome
06-26-2015, 08:25 PM
Need to forget this first half. Way too many mistakes. OLine and receivers can't block, way too many penalties and letting off Hamilton way too much. Only positive thing in the first half is the play of Charleston Hughes and Juwan Simpson.

Hamilton 18-10. Hamilton Defensive TD and Special Team TD.

Huff will make this team adjust in the 2nd half.

mile
06-26-2015, 08:51 PM
Yikes.

nixon45
06-26-2015, 08:52 PM
Oh Bo

OzSome
06-26-2015, 08:52 PM
Bo is not in his A-game today. Threw another pick in the end zone.

OzSome
06-26-2015, 08:59 PM
Oh yeah Keon Raymond!! TD on the interception.

nixon45
That was beautiful

mile
2 point conversion. Tie game.

nixon45
06-26-2015, 09:01 PM
Loved seeing Collaros get piled in to the ground for his troubles as well

OzSome
06-26-2015, 09:01 PM
It is now a tie (18-18).

Offense need to use Jon Cornish more often. Bo is not on his A-game tonight and maybe with Cornish running more, Hamilton D might think twice.

nixon45
06-26-2015, 09:02 PM
I love hearing the word Hamilton tonight.

nixon45
06-26-2015, 09:19 PM
Come on

transplant99
06-26-2015, 09:19 PM
Never thought I would be saying this....but time for Huf to go to Tate...Bo has been nothing short of awful.

OzSome
06-26-2015, 09:20 PM
Oh BLM.. another INT. Overthrew Parker on that pass.

OzSome
06-26-2015, 09:36 PM
F this!! First ref gave them a bad field and now they are calling Tate did not go over the line?

Tate have to get more aggressive than the last two sneak.

DropIt
06-26-2015, 09:39 PM
seriously? pass interference? What happened to a defender making a play at the ball?

Cuz
06-26-2015, 09:39 PM
I think he made it across but there was no evidence to overturn it

EldrickOnIce
06-26-2015, 09:40 PM
Need the stop here.
Need

Cuz
06-26-2015, 09:40 PM
seriously? pass interference? What happened to a defender making a play at the ball?

Was a good call, he was there a split second too soon

flamingreen
06-26-2015, 09:41 PM
How can there be no camera angle from the other side?

DropIt
06-26-2015, 09:43 PM

but he wasnt making a defending play on the receiver, he was making a forward play on the ball. completely different situations

OzSome
06-26-2015, 09:44 PM

Yep. Buddy Jackson hit him before the ball comes. Definitely a PI.

PrettyBoyFlizzy
06-26-2015, 09:46 PM
Some terrible officiating but no excuse for how poor our offense has been.

EldrickOnIce
06-26-2015, 09:47 PM
Need the stop here.
Need

OK. Let's try this sgsin

DropIt
06-26-2015, 09:52 PM
Bo doesn't know today

jayswin
06-26-2015, 09:53 PM
Mitchell's going to lose us this game.

GirlySports
06-26-2015, 09:56 PM
woo! CFL! never a dull moment!

mile
Yay!

flamingreen
Win!

KootenayFlamesFan
Wow, just caught the last few plays. Clutch.

OzSome
06-26-2015, 09:57 PM
El Matador for the win!!! 50-yard FG attempt and it is good!!

GirlySports
06-26-2015, 09:57 PM
he would have made that from 60, it landed on the UofC logo

DropIt
06-26-2015, 09:58 PM
The Stamps are like the Pats or Packers. Even when they dont look good, they still win games

JiriHrdina
What the hell was that flag for? Can't call that at the end of the game

JiriHrdina
Fuller is stupid good

PrettyBoyFlizzy
06-26-2015, 09:59 PM
Cfl refs are a disgrace.

Frequitude
06-26-2015, 09:59 PM
Boom Paredes. Great day in Calgary.

Frank MetaMusil
06-26-2015, 10:01 PM
Dave Dickenson needs to realize he should use Cornish. I keep waiting for it to happen but he just refuses to run the ball.

OzSome
06-26-2015, 10:08 PM
Not a perfect game but it still a win 24-23. Bo Levi probably have his worst game as a starter but at least Jeff Fuller showed up and had an awesome with 9 catches for 148 yards. Jon Cornish didn't really touch a lot of balls but still ended up with over 60 rushing yards. I think Marquay McDaniel only had one pass thrown at him.
Charleston Hughes had a great first half. Stamps lost Juwan Simpson in the 3rd quarter due to injury.
Anyways what a win.. but they need to clean up and make adjustment next game.

transplant99
06-26-2015, 10:24 PM
Always take the win of course, but there is MUCH work to do for the offense and special teams.

The defense was really good though.

M*A*S*H 4077
06-26-2015, 10:46 PM
What a great evening for a game!

Once again we learn that the only thing a prevent defence does is prevent you from winning. That was pitiful, but a great catch by Fuller.

Stamps D was really good. My man Keon was a stud and Hughes channelled his inner JJ Watt tonight.

I expect Hamilton to be the class of the east this year, they're a good team. Need to find a RB with Gable out

Football is back baby!

tvp2003
06-26-2015, 10:51 PM
Nice to get a win to start the season. Stamps D coming through again -- hope Simpson isn't injured too badly. Big play by Keon Raymond to swing the momentum.

I've been a critic of Fuller due to his inability to stay healthy; however, his talent in undeniable and he showed it tonight, especially on the long corner route and then the 3rd and 17 play. Tate was stopped on two third and 1 plays (even though I think he got in for the TD); gotta fix that ASAP because it almost cost them the game (I would put Moniz in there if Tate can't execute on short yardage).

I think it was Jasper Simmons (#31) who got the penalty before the field goal? Looked like he was talking smack on the sidelines -- Huff will fix that pretty quick.

Redrum
06-26-2015, 11:00 PM
Great ending! Shouldn't have happened because Tate was about a mile into the endzone on 3rd and 1. Ah well made it better in the end.

JBR
06-27-2015, 12:35 AM
Winner of the 50/50 took home $193k. She looked like she was going to cry, then faint. Good for her.

Mathgod
06-27-2015, 01:02 AM
Defense was superb and won this game for us. Collaros was under siege all day and the Ticats were forced into numerous two&outs. Hughes and Raymond were absolute beasts. Rob and Rene were brilliant as usual. But the offense (aside from Fuller) was hot feces. Lots of work to do for Dickenson and co to get this thing figured out.

Biggest thing I noticed though is that Bo seemed hesitant and tunnel-visioned, and he avoided the deep ball for much of the game. Only when he started throwing deep balls did the passing game start to open up (albeit thanks to circus catches from Fuller).

Receivers need to quit dropping the ball. Rogers and West I'm looking at you.

Da_Chief
06-27-2015, 05:52 AM
Rogers I'll give him the benefit of the doubt. He'll be bounce back Huff cut West already; Drops, penalties! bring in one of the other guys. Durant not play at all?

browna
06-27-2015, 09:39 AM
Refs did their damnedest to keep that one away from the Stamps.

I saw no angle where only 3/4 of Tate's body wasn't over the line....unless he had the ball pinned to his butt with one hand behind him, that ball was easily over the line. And I am guessing because they couldn't see the ball from any angle that TSN showed (as would be the case, the ball is usually under a pile or under a set of arms at least), they said no conclusive evidence, and didn't go based on common sense that no part of Tate's body that could've had the ball, wasn't over the line.

Then a pretty questionable PI call on the next/first HAM play to get them 10+ yards of relief from their goal line....and then very questionable/tacked on objectionable conduct call after the play after the last catch, to push Parades back 10 yards.

Good on him...must have worked on his leg strength, as a couple years ago, that would've been very near the end of his range. Didn't at some point they used to bring Maver in (yes, even after he tried to show off in preseason and pulled his hamstring to kick long ones)?

Resolute 14
06-27-2015, 10:52 AM
The offensive line needs to be a lot better. Bo Levi wasn't outstanding overall, but the pocket collapsed almost at will for Hamilton. Especially in the second half. That said, they all held up when we needed it most.

Sainters7
06-27-2015, 11:20 AM
Great ending! Shouldn't have happened because Tate was about a mile into the endzone on 3rd and 1. Ah well made it better in the end.

I still can't believe that was ruled a stuff, his waist was even on the line! There were so many bodies that whatever the original call was would stand. Unfortunately, they ruled it idiotically.

So impressed with Fuller, if he can stay healthy he's a sure all-pro. I was surprised how poor Rogers looked, he was every bit as effective as Fuller last year after he went down. For now I'll chalk it up to early season rust; the drawback to only 2 preseason games.

Fun game overall, that ending was insane. El Matador!

dirk diggler
06-27-2015, 11:52 AM
Refs did their damnedest to keep that one away from the Stamps.

I saw no angle where only 3/4 of Tate's body wasn't over the line....unless he had the ball pinned to his butt with one hand behind him, that ball was easily over the line. And I am guessing because they couldn't see the ball from any angle that TSN showed (as would be the case, the ball is usually under a pile or under a set of arms at least), they said no conclusive evidence, and didn't go based on common sense that no part of Tate's body that could've had the ball, wasn't over the line.

Then a pretty questionable PI call on the next/first HAM play to get them 10+ yards of relief from their goal line....and then very questionable/tacked on objectionable conduct call after the play after the last catch, to push Parades back 10 yards.

Good on him...must have worked on his leg strength, as a couple years ago, that would've been very near the end of his range. Didn't at some point they used to bring Maver in (yes, even after he tried to show off in preseason and pulled his hamstring to kick long ones)?

my personal favourite ref cal of the game was when the stamps d man grabbed Collaros by the lower back of his shirt and got 15 yards for a horse collar... these refs are a disgrace.