PDA

View Full Version : LF: Experienced fishkeeper - FOUND SOMEONE.

cracher
06-10-2015, 12:05 PM
EDIT: Found someone. Thanks for looking.

Looking for someone to come over daily between June 20 and June 30 (NW YYC).

My main issue: blue gene Jack Dempseys just laid eggs this morning. I will be moving the eggs to a separate tank tonight. When I go on vacation on the 20th, someone will have to separate the electric blue JD fry from the regular ones because the regular ones are more robust and will kill the others. The fry also have special grow-out diets.

Also would like a 40% water change on 5 fish tanks. One of the tanks being a pike tank, it needs to be bottled RO water at 40lbs per bottle, so you have to be able to lift that weight to shoulder level.

If you are experienced with this stuff and are confident with this, please PM me. I am more than happy to pay far beyond top dollar to get his done correctly.

terminator
06-11-2015, 09:40 AM
I'm curious need pics.

Ducay
06-12-2015, 03:43 PM
I have no idea what 80% of those words mean but I'm curious too.

cracher
06-16-2015, 09:16 AM
Oops, sorry for the delay, not in this forum much. I'll post some pics when I get back. Right now, the fry are too small for my iphone camera to pick up (don't even know if I have electric blues for sure yet). The Jack Dempsey electric blue gene is a naturally-occurring recessive gene. The fish is a beautiful bright blue color, but they are also sickly fragile and don't survive in the wild because their more robust siblings will kill them all. I'm trying to separate them out so that I can raise a bunch of homozygous recessive blues.

troutman
06-16-2015, 09:24 AM
I've got a bunch of baby cichlids now. I think they will survive as Dad is very dominant and chasing the other fish away.

cracher
06-16-2015, 10:11 AM
Hm. Cichlidman sounds awkward.

What kid of cichlids are you breeding?

foshizzle11
06-24-2015, 12:16 PM
We have a very mixed, African cichlid tank and we have interbreeding happening. It is pretty cool to see the different types of fish that we end up with in the end. At one time we had one pair produce about 40 fry that we raised to be about 4 months old. We sold them to a local pet store for $3 each. Not bad! They sold them for over $10 each at the store.

Not a bad way to earn money if you have the space to deal with them.

Now we just leave them and who ever survives gets to stay. It is neat to see the fry hiding in the fake plants. We had live plants but they just ate them all and destroyed everything we ever put in there, not doing that again!!

cracher
07-01-2015, 07:51 PM
Feel wierd about bumping this in the buy/sell sub, but here goes. I don't have a real camera so this is the best I can do:

http://i.imgur.com/1MOK6TP.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/ZCR71Bv.jpg

If you look closely, some of the smaller fry are pale blue in color. Those are the homozygous recessive gene "electric blues". Around here, a 2-3" electric blue Jack Dempsey will sell for $50-$75. If I were smart, I would cash in. Unfortunately, I just keep buying more tanks.

I'm gunna go full fishgeek for a moment. Spent 2 hours today just observing the fascinating parental behaviors. Jack Dempseys are amazing parents. They will gobble food, chew it up, and spit out little bits for the fry to eat. Also observed some herding behavior. If a fry strays to far from the main group, the parent will swallow them and spit them back out near the main group. Just amazing.