PDA

View Full Version : 2015 Calgary Foothills PDL Thread

shermanator
05-21-2015, 01:58 PM
Should get a new thread. Because reasons...

Nuje
05-21-2015, 11:22 PM
Reasons like a 2-1 win over the Puget Sound Gunners! 1-0-0 to start.

shermanator
05-22-2015, 03:43 PM
Official attendance for Sunday's game was 770, which is lower than I would have thought but still a pretty decent attendance.

Yoho
05-22-2015, 11:31 PM
@KitsapPumas: FULL-TIME: Kitsap Pumas 3-1 Calgary Foothills

A second half hat-trick from super substitute Michael Chamberlain... http://t.co/D7XDNpq9SJ

shermanator
05-24-2015, 06:23 PM
Foothills draws Seattle Sounders U-23 1-1 this afternoon. Goal from Dominic Russo. Good result IMO.

skrish
05-24-2015, 06:48 PM
The late goal hurts, but still a great result!

shermanator
05-29-2015, 12:10 PM
Just a wee bump to remind everyone that Calgary Foothills plays Portland Timbers U-23 at Hellard on Tuesday. 7 pm kickoff.

shermanator
06-03-2015, 11:04 AM
Foothills draws Portland Timbers U-23 1-1 last night. Attendance was 765, and considering the rain, I think that is a decent turnout. Supporters group was about the same size, a little louder with the help of a drum. Article on the game is below:

http://www.calgarysun.com/2015/06/03/calgary-squad-pushes-stacked-portland-timbers-team-to-the-edge

Next home game is June 18.

shermanator
06-08-2015, 09:44 AM
Not sure if I should still be updating this thread, not much talk going on...

Pair of draws for Calgary Foothills on the road on this weekend. 1-1 against Lane United, and 0-0 against Timbers U-23. Club is in third place in the NW Division (top 2 make playoffs), although they have played more games than the fourth and fifth placed clubs.

Next game is June 18 at Hellard.

Da_Chief
06-08-2015, 09:52 AM
Please keep updating. I don't follow enough so these updates are great.

Ozy_Flame
06-08-2015, 09:53 AM
Yeah keep updating it shermanator, I am following, just not posting as I'd like to soak in more of the team's track record first - but very happy you're doing your bit!

corporatejay
06-08-2015, 09:56 AM
I check this thread a lot but don't post because I don't have much to say about PDL soccer. Your updates are much appreciated.

shermanator
06-08-2015, 10:29 AM
Glad to hear, thanks folks. Hope to see you all on the 18th and 21st.

Also, the club has added a few players of late. They will have Nolan Wirth (national U-20 keeper who also plays for Oregon State) starting June 20 once Sean Melvin's loan ends. They've also added MF Miguel Romeo who recently played in top flight Argentina, and Justin Anderson-Louch who I believe was with Calgary SW United.

The Anderson-Louch signing is very interesting because it's two local clubs working together to provide a promising talent a chance at the next level. Something which we don't always see at this level.

Jimmy Stang
06-08-2015, 10:29 AM
Much the same as the other comments - I do enjoy reading and following. I also hope to "put my money where my mouth is" and get to a few games soon. So far, the 18th is looking favourable.

Addick
06-08-2015, 11:15 AM
The Anderson-Louch signing is very interesting because it's two local clubs working together to provide a promising talent a chance at the next level. Something which we don't always see at this level.

That is going to be really important going forward. However, it will be tricky as unlike hockey it really is a player market and compensation is fair and essential.

shermanator
06-08-2015, 11:50 AM
I'm not sure how much compensation factors in at this level. As far as I understand the players are not being paid, as most of them are in university. Really it is more about the opportunity to play at a higher level than they are currently.

Addick
06-08-2015, 01:19 PM
I'm not sure how much compensation factors in at this level. As far as I understand the players are not being paid, as most of them are in university.

With these clubs are starting to spend a lot of money on training infrastructure and programs, I was thinking more of teenagers that would likely be edging close to their first professional contract if they were good enough. It would suck if you had a kid from age 9, let him switch to a local PDL club at 16 or 17, he signs on for a club like Molde or Preston and the local PDL clubs gets the compensation as they have his registration.

It may not be great sums of money but these clubs are still doing bottle drives and the like so it all helps.

Da_Chief
06-08-2015, 03:46 PM
Glad to hear, thanks folks. Hope to see you all on the 18th and 21st.

Also, the club has added a few players of late. They will have Nolan Wirth (national U-20 keeper who also plays for Oregon State) starting June 20 once Sean Melvin's loan ends. They've also added MF Miguel Romeo who recently played in top flight Argentina, and Justin Anderson-Louch who I believe was with Calgary SW United.

Not to be rude but shouldn't these guys be playing in better leagues? Or will there or are there more players with promising careers playing in this league?

shermanator
06-08-2015, 06:56 PM
Not to be rude but shouldn't these guys be playing in better leagues? Or will there or are there more players with promising careers playing in this league?
Wirth plays for Oregon State. Signing for any higher league means he is ineligible for the NCAA. Because Foothills doesn't pay that allows him to get more game experience without sacrificing eligibility.

As for Romeo, based on what I have seen, this is more of a last stop for him. He's 27 and was with Foothills 10 years ago.

shermanator
06-08-2015, 06:59 PM
With these clubs are starting to spend a lot of money on training infrastructure and programs, I was thinking more of teenagers that would likely be edging close to their first professional contract if they were good enough. It would suck if you had a kid from age 9, let him switch to a local PDL club at 16 or 17, he signs on for a club like Molde or Preston and the local PDL clubs gets the compensation as they have his registration.

It may not be great sums of money but these clubs are still doing bottle drives and the like so it all helps.
There really havent been that many opportunities for teens in Calgary. MLS and NASL clubs tend to sign players developed in their own youth systems. If you're not scouted by one of them, where do you go? Not sure if the new USL clubs starting up will change that.

JBR
06-08-2015, 08:41 PM
This is just the opinion of one sports fan.

I've been enjoying soccer more and more lately and would definitely like to support a local pro team.. especially if it progresses to the MLS level. I would go to games and likely buy a jersey etc.

Call me fickle, but I can't and won't get behind a Calgary pro team that wears green and white.

shermanator
06-08-2015, 09:14 PM
So be it, but I think that's an absolutely ridiculous reason to not support a local soccer team. I really question your assertion that you would like to support a local team if that's what's holding you back from doing so.

Muta
06-08-2015, 09:18 PM
No kidding, the team is right here and right now... this is a new beginning, and it's building momentum. Now is the time to get onboard with Calgary's team, regardless of the colors. Shed your aesthetic preference and think bigger!

Addick
06-09-2015, 08:16 AM
Call me fickle, but I can't and won't get behind a Calgary pro team that wears green and white.

Do you even know why they wear green and white?

JBR
06-09-2015, 08:43 AM
I don't know why, but am interested to find out.

I knew that I would take some shots with my post, but I would bet I'm far from the only person with the same thought. (BTW, I did attend the first match against Puget Sound).

Addick
06-09-2015, 09:45 AM
I don't know why, but am interested to find out.

I knew that I would take some shots with my post, but I would bet I'm far from the only person with the same thought. (BTW, I did attend the first match against Puget Sound).

Fair pay, I thought I'd ask before crucifying you.

Most professionals sports teams in North America are established when the owners are granted a franchise in a league. As they are brand new clubs and often granted exclusivity in their region, they can select team colours and a name that are strongly identified with the local area. In contrast, Foothills F.C. were established decades ago as a local neighbourhood football club (Calgary Foothills S.C.) that played against other clubs that were also based in local neighbourhoods.

As there were numerous Calgary clubs, they couldn't all adopt colours associated with Calgary. Consequently, many of the clubs selected teams colours that were neither red nor white and may have had some significance to the neighbourhood or people who founded the club. Ironically, clubs like Foothills F.C. are more steeped in local history than franchises that take on Calgary colours (e.g. the Canons or Roughnecks) as part of a marketing strategy.

Jimmy Stang
06-09-2015, 10:22 AM
A lot, if not most, cities have sports teams that don't have matching colours. I have always thought that Calgary was more of the exception than the norm.

In the Premier League, I support Norwich City because my family is from there, yet yellow is one of my least favourite colours. I usually wear darker colours, and the only yellow items of clothing that I own are Norwich shirts, some of which are obnoxiously bright. But - that's the team I support, so if I end up looking like a lemon while I wear one around town after a big win, then so be it!

Nuje
06-09-2015, 11:45 AM
This is just the opinion of one sports fan.

I've been enjoying soccer more and more lately and would definitely like to support a local pro team.. especially if it progresses to the MLS level. I would go to games and likely buy a jersey etc.

I certainly understand how it can have negative connotations, but these colours have nothing to do with any other team aside from, perhaps, a loose inspiration.

The Big Chill
06-09-2015, 12:54 PM
I love the updates too, Shermanator! I'll be attending as many games as my schedule allows over the coming weeks, and will likely be a more active poster when I gain the slightest bit of knowledge about this team.

MillerTime GFG
06-09-2015, 01:35 PM
With the long layoff, Tommy asked if we wanted to have a friendly with them again, set for 1:30 on Saturday @ Hellard, provided we can get a full side as we have quite a few out of town...including our goalie. :boo:

Free admission if anyone cares to take in a bunch of young guys playing a bunch of has-beens!

MillerTime GFG
06-09-2015, 02:13 PM
Wirth plays for Oregon State. Signing for any higher league means he is ineligible for the NCAA. Because Foothills doesn't pay that allows him to get more game experience without sacrificing eligibility.

It may be different in the NCAA, but I know up here in the CIS/CCAA, playing in the PDL eliminated one year of your 5 for eligibility. At least that's how it used to be.

MillerTime GFG
06-09-2015, 04:30 PM
Shermanator - Aren't there only 2 over-agers allowed in the PDL? You just mentioned they signed a 27 year old, but already have Nic Reyes and Wheeldon Jr, unless Reyes hasn't been playing?

Nuje
06-09-2015, 07:49 PM
I thought I heard 8 actually but that's possibly the entire squad. Not sure how many are allowed on the pitch.

shermanator
06-09-2015, 07:59 PM
I believe Nuje is right. Maximum of 8 over the age of 23, and 3 have to be under the age of 18.

Trojan97
06-10-2015, 12:33 AM
Just wanted to chime in with more support for Sherm. Soccer is probably 5th/6th on my list of sports but I enjoy hearing about the local sports scene and will try and take in a game before the end of the season. If it wasn't for your posts, I wouldn't even know this team existed. Thumbs up to you!

Bill Bumface
06-10-2015, 04:15 PM
What everyone else says. I know once or twice this summer I'll see this thread, say "oh yeah" and round up some people to go check out a game. Thanks for the updates!

MillerTime GFG
06-11-2015, 06:53 PM
Soooo we need a ref for our friendly this weekend...any volunteers? (With experience). ;)

Also can't guarantee I won't yell at you. :ph34r:

MillerTime GFG
06-12-2015, 12:45 PM
Bump! Still looking for a ref. Everyone and their dog is out of town apparently.

PM me if interested. No pay, but it'd be a good chance to check out the PDL team up close and personal. We will pay you in beers though!

lazypucker
06-12-2015, 02:24 PM
I have no qualification or aspiration to be a ref, but how can someone get certified to ref a regulated match such as this?

MillerTime GFG
06-12-2015, 04:16 PM
To do an actual PDL game, I believe you need to be a nationally certified referee, but for a friendly like this, it's not required.

shermanator
06-12-2015, 07:16 PM
Our new scarf order will be at the June 21 game. I've PM'd everyone who wanted them (I think). If I missed anyone just let me know.

MillerTime GFG
06-13-2015, 11:28 AM
Well it looks like I might be reffing, as an injury is gonna keep me out. This should be interesting.

jayswin
06-15-2015, 06:23 PM
Haha, I started reading with the intention of stating that I don't know what to post but do love reading all the updates, then realized that I'm like the 50th poster to do so!

So yeah, same as everyone else; Please keep updating and I can't wait to get out to a game sometime.

shermanator
06-15-2015, 08:23 PM
If anyone wants to check out Calgary Foothills women's side they will be playing a friendly against Seattle Sounders Women on Friday. Assuming the weather is nice I might go check it out.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CHj74i5UcAAO_0m.png

shermanator
06-18-2015, 01:29 PM
Bumping as there is a game tonight - 7 pm at Hellard. There is also a thunderstorm warning but I'm going to pretend that is just a filthy lie by the weather folks.

Jimmy Stang
06-18-2015, 02:11 PM
Bumping as there is a game tonight - 7 pm at Hellard. There is also a thunderstorm warning but I'm going to pretend that is just a filthy lie by the weather folks.

Just a "watch" at this point. Nothing to worry about! ;)

Johnny199r
06-19-2015, 12:01 AM
Any Canadian kids who look like they could move up a level or two?

shermanator
06-19-2015, 07:41 AM
Calgary Foothills draw Kitsap Pumas 1-1 last night. The goal was a beauty by Yoann Promenot, from 20ish yards out, bar down. Calgary is the only club to have taken points from Kitsap, and considering Kitsap are head and shoulders above the rest of the clubs in the division, this was a great result.

johnny199r, I would say Darius Ramsay and Elijah Adekugbe are ones to look out for. Adekugbe's brother plays on the Whitecaps so there's a pedigree there.

shermanator
06-19-2015, 04:44 PM
Here's a video of the Promonet goal from last night.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/lnc3f0to7fiebpn/Yoann%20Goal%20Highlight.mp4?dl=0

Mango
06-19-2015, 05:59 PM
Don't mean to highjack the thread. Foothills WFC will face the Seattle Sounders tonight, 7 pm at Encana. With the Pan American roster announced earlier, you'll see two members of the Canadian team tonight. Sarah Kinzner will suit up for Foothills, while recent U-20 Women's World Cup captain Kinley McNicoll is having a stellar season with Seattle. She's a standout and is making strides to join the senior team, which I truly believe will happen in the next year or two.

shermanator
06-20-2015, 09:08 AM
Don't mind at all! It looks like the WFC won as well, 1-0 over Sounders WFC

Mango
06-20-2015, 09:39 AM
Don't mind at all! It looks like the WFC won as well, 1-0 over Sounders WFC

Great game last night. The Sounders are one of the strongest teams in the W-League and for Foothills to beat them is very positive. There was a solid turnout too, maybe 400-500ish?

Troye has done an excellent job with these girls. They play a very up-tempo, possession style of ball.

Sarah Kinzner is a class above everyone else. The sky is the limit with her. She's been a part of the U-17, U-20 Women's World Cup teams. Now she's going to be on the Pan American squad. She will, no doubt, be part of the senior national team down the road. It's exciting to have a midfielder of that calibre coming from Calgary.

Was chatting with Tommy Wheeldon Jr yesterday and they are expecting a big turnout for tomorrow's PDL match. Hope everyone has a chance to head on down!

shermanator
06-21-2015, 08:47 PM
Calgary Foothills draws Washington Crossfire 2-2. Can we get 10 draws? I think so.

Also, really disappointed with the lack of support from Calgarians towards this team. Do people actually want to see soccer in this city or do they just say they do?

Yoho
06-21-2015, 09:00 PM
Crickets...

jayswin
06-21-2015, 09:02 PM
Calgary Foothills draws Washington Crossfire 2-2. Can we get 10 draws? I think so.

Also, really disappointed with the lack of support from Calgarians towards this team. Do people actually want to see soccer in this city or do they just say they do?

What was the attendance today? Big cities are a catch 22 for small sports teams, because there's hundreds of thousands of potential fans, but big cities are often too big for small teams to get significant advertising/coverage/word out.

In big cities it's often about perception and being part of something that people think everyone wants to be a part of. You get regular coverage with decent sized articles on like page 2 or 3 of the sports section, with maybe some pics that the Stamps/Roughnecks/Flames get and all of sudden thousands see that and go "hmmm, looks like a legit sport in this city, I'll check it out".

Instead, you get very little coverage and the title of "tier 2 soccer" and the combination makes the general public either a) not aware they exist or b) going "Hmmm, tier two soccer, that doesn't sound like anything to go out of my way to see".

jayswin
06-21-2015, 09:04 PM
Full disclosure, I literally only know about this team because of you and your dedication to talking about them on this forum.

Which is excellent for you, and I appreciate all you've done, but if I represent the average Calgarian, then there's hundreds of thousands of potential fans that may check out a game or two and the maybe become a full fan that just honestly don't know how good the soccer is or that it even exists and that it is hopefully the start of us getting an MLS franchise one day.

corporatejay
06-21-2015, 09:19 PM
There are four fairly rabid premiership followers at my work (like take breaks in the middle of the day to watch the games) and they have never even heard of the PDL, let alone that Calgary has a team.

I know about this because of you, and I find it interesting, but like above, if I'm the average calgarian, there hasn't been much in terms of market penetration.

shermanator
06-21-2015, 09:34 PM
There were just over 200 people there today. Hence the disappointment.

corporatejay
06-21-2015, 09:46 PM
There were just over 200 people there today. Hence the disappointment.

I wonder if fathers' day actually hurt attendance, people out doing activities with their children.

shermanator
06-21-2015, 10:04 PM
I don't know, I think it's just always an excuse with the casual fan to not go to these games. Everyone says they want to check it out, and no one follows up and actually does it. Of course, there are exceptions (I know there are 2 members here who have gone to multiple games), but the exceptions seem to be so few and far between. Hell, supporters from FC Edmonton drove in to bring up the atmosphere this game, anticipating that there would be a bigger crowd, and it was the worst crowd of the year.

Unfortunately, the club won't be around much longer if the current level of support stays. That's the reality. Get out and support it or lose it.

Addick
06-22-2015, 10:58 AM
Unfortunately, the club won't be around much longer if the current level of support stays. That's the reality. Get out and support it or lose it.

I think this is why PDL is the perfect level for the city at the moment. If my history is correct, it doesn't take massive attendances to make your PDL club break even. As such, the club has the time to sort out both on-pitch and pitch-side particulars. Most importantly, it allows for mistakes to be made and lessons learned. When the Storms and Mustangs made mistakes in the A-League, they didn't have the time or space to recover.

Nevertheless, a solution will need to be found and the sooner the better. A proper ground that could provide a niche footy atmosphere would definitely help but I think the club will need to try smaller things first. Someone mentioned that there is an increasing amount of interest in the BPL, which can be seen in the increasing amount of local supporters clubs. Maybe Foothills FC should organize a tournament between these clubs before a match and provide them with a free hot dog or entry to the match.

Resolute 14
06-22-2015, 01:16 PM
It doesn't take massive attendances, but Calgary's isolation from the other teams increases costs dramatically.

And I guess a question is: what is Foothills FC doing to create interest? Any marketing? Any attempts at generating publicity?

Also for yesterday, there was a lot of mid-day rain, and for a team that is always going to have to rely on spur-of-the-moment walk-up crowds, that is near fatal.

shermanator
06-22-2015, 02:25 PM
Some good points have been brought up here. IMO having a dedicated stadium is a pipe dream right now with the current attendance the club is getting.

The lack of marketing aspect of the club is a classic scenario in minor league sports in this country; you have to spend money to make money. Does the club spend money that it does not have to attract people that may or may not come to games? If they do so and it fails, does that affect the health of their youth clubs? Without an owner with deep pockets, there is a limited reach you have to get folks interested in the end product. Having said that, Tommy Wheeldon has had a regular segment on Pinder in the morning on Thursdays for some time where he plugs Calgary Foothills as well as talks global soccer. He’s also had the club featured on morning shows around town, and there is pretty decent coverage in the Calgary Sun considering the minor league status of said club (a review of yesterday's game is in Page 8 of the sports section today, not bad IMO). I would say that given the very limited resources of the club, what they’ve done to date isn’t terrible, although yes there could be a lot more exposure given.

That being said, my frustration around lack of support stem from those that actually know about the product, but still aren’t going. For those here who know about the club and haven’t been to a game, what’s stopping you from going? Is it the weather? Is it the quality of play? Is it the football lines on the pitch? Is it that you’re associated with another youth club in Calgary? Is it the supporters group being annoying? Is it that you are only interested in “big time” soccer? Genuinely curious here.

As an example, before the home opener I met with one of the organizers of the Calgary Gooners. He asked me what he could do to help our supporters club grow and how the Calgary Gooners could help support the local club. My response was to simply have folks buy tickets and spread the word about the club and supporters group. I have yet to see said organizer to a single game. A few Gooners went to the home opener, and I’ve only seen 1 back for a second game.

So, there must be something about the local product that is simply unappetizing to those who are aware of the club and I’m curious as to what it is.

lazypucker
06-22-2015, 02:37 PM
I think it is the classic "There are better things to do" scenario here. Having a local team is great, but unfortunately our local team is near the bottom of totem pole in the pro-soccer world (although there is nothing wrong with that). So in a lot of cases, people will anticipate disappointments if they came out and saw beer league caliber contests. And these people will think they have lost valuable time by coming to see such sh*tty product...so they rather not come out at all to avoid the potential disappointments...

nfotiu
06-22-2015, 02:53 PM
Our USL team here is pretty well supported. 2500 on typical games 4000-11,000 for big games. A few things they have done right is making it both very family friendly with boucy houses, places for kids to play soccer, etc, and also have cashed in on our thriving local craft beer and food scene by having beer trucks and food trucks at the game that you can bring to your seats. They play at an ancient football stadium, but have a beautify bermudagrass pitch and it is a very nice way to spend a summer evening.

http://www.richmondkickers.com/imgs/home/CrystalPalace_Moore.jpg
http://www.recklesschallenge.net/wp-content/uploads/2015/03/10469319_10152244417386088_2760590188836740638_n.j pg

Ozy_Flame
06-22-2015, 03:04 PM
Ever thought about partnering up with an organization like the Downtown Association and promoting the team on Stephen Ave during lunch hours? I feel like the corporate crowd needs to know more about this weekend activity, so they can bring their kids and or family members down for a Saturday game. Perhaps something outside the Sport Chek to associate it with our local sports merchandisers would go a long way.

Also, I think the team would benefit if fans saw the organization as an extension of a local sports brand name, such as being endorsed by WinSport, U of C, CMSA and CUSA, or even the Flames (long shot).

Jimmy Stang
06-22-2015, 03:22 PM
That being said, my frustration around lack of support stem from those that actually know about the product, but still aren’t going. For those here who know about the club and haven’t been to a game, what’s stopping you from going? Is it the weather? Is it the quality of play? Is it the football lines on the pitch? Is it that you’re associated with another youth club in Calgary? Is it the supporters group being annoying? Is it that you are only interested in “big time” soccer? Genuinely curious here.

This. ;)

Seriously though, since I'm one of those people who know about it but haven't been yet, I'll give you my take on it.

I know that we live in an age where everyone spits "busy" out as an excuse for pretty much everything, it has been really difficult for me to attend. I won't go into full details, but Tuesdays/Thursday are the trickiest weeknights for me (my kids swimming lessons, etc.), and Sundays are often taken up with pre-planned family things. Lunches, going out of town, etc.).

I put the schedule into my calendar with the hopes that things would align nicely so that I'd be able to attend maybe 50% of the games, and so far I'm 0/4. Prior to the season, I was seriously considering buying a season ticket, so it isn't an issue of not wanting to give up my time or my money. I will honestly say that, by not buying a season ticket, the games have become "I'd like to do that, if I can" instead of "I have paid for this, so I'll make sure I go."

Weather isn't a big issue for me personally, but if I'm planning on bringing my kid or my wife, it would be a factor for sure. I would say that Fathers Day was probably the biggest reason for the poor draw on Sunday, but the unsettled weather would also keep some casual, impulse fans away.

The location is good for me, so that's no excuse. I think that playing soccer on football lines is truly horrible and detracts from the viewing experience considerably, BUT... I would put my personal feelings about that aside, so it isn't a factor in my non-attendance. Realistically, where else can they play though? I will say this, however: if they ever decide to build a mini-stadium to the east of the city on top of some slough land, it would be very difficult to get to and would really limit attendance. It is hard enough for me to get to games as it is. Throw in an extra 30 minutes (or more) each way, and that's pretty much a non-starter.

As far as soccer snobbery goes, while this doesn't apply to me personally, I do think that it is a factor. And unfortunately it always will be in Canada. I used to play soccer with a bunch of Chileans who lived and breathed soccer, but only if you define soccer as Copa America, La Liga, Champions League, with a little bit of Serie A and Premier League thrown in. You try to talk to them about the Whitecaps game on the weekend and you'd get crickets. "I just can't watch MLS" and comments about the quality of play. And while the MLS isn't of the same calibre as La Liga, Premier League, etc., it is a growing league that actually has some teams in Canada. But try to get those guys out to a PDL, or even a NASL match? Not even on their radar.

Part of me does wonder whether fragmentation in the local soccer community is also a factor. Perhaps some are seeing this as a venture of Foothills for their own benefit, which it is, instead of being something for the whole community to get behind? Personally, I think that it can be both, but I'm not sure what the perception is among other people in Calgary.

So there you go - some unfiltered thoughts from one of those guys who thinks that this is a good idea, but hasn't been able to attend yet for one reason or another. In a nutshell, when you're 36 and have a kid, things get in the way. And trust me, I know that's essentially just one big excuse, but that's the reality of it.

Ozy_Flame
06-22-2015, 03:35 PM
I agree with this. People pick their teams and leagues early on in life, and usually they're the pro leagues in other countries. Then when people move here, the soccer is never up to the same quality they got "back home", and have no interest in supporting the local team because the foreign team they'd rather watch on the internet is better. You can't change their minds either, it's incredibly difficult to change people's hard-baked loyalties.

I think the marketing angle needs to move away from these hardcore soccer types, and direct the messaging at people who are native to Calgary and the CMSA / CUSA system. Target it to the young people that their opportunities in these leagues and the hard work they put in can lead to local professional soccer opportunities that are expanding tremendously in North America. I think the homegrown, Calgary flavor really needs to shine through and if anyone who prefers EPL and will #### all over the local scene wants to watch, let them do it organically and on their own time. Target the young people of Calgary.

Also, as I've mentioned before, because of the club system in Calgary, it's hard for people (myself included) to cheer for Foothills SC. I am a Blizzards / Rangers player growing up and my allegiances are hard to change.

Re-brand to something else, but with a classic soccer team name. The "SC" part is a good start, but perhaps play on Calgary's origins, such as the Old Norse or Viking spin of how the name actually comes together (see Wikipedia). Or have something that honors Calgary's past but without the cliche Cowboy spin. Maybe something that reflects back to Calgary's Scottish roots.

The team also needs a better logo, one that doesn't look like a CUSA insignia. Have a logo that has a memorable figure intertwined into a badge or something; and have that character a tangible gimmick at the games that people can relate to. Even though the action is on the pitch, the visuals help establish that soccer brand. Brand the holy hell out of your team that the kids can latch on to. Start building a brand that kids will wear to school, and bake their interest into the team at an early age.

Finally, develop the rivalries with other municipalities. It's easy to say play the Callies or the Darts or something, but really get behind a rivalry with the Drillers or Lethbridge FC or something. People need to see it as more than community soccer; it is a team developing its own city identity, and as such, needs to feud with other regional teams. Think of the Flames / Oilers / Canucks hatred, and create a micro-version of that. Personally I like the idea of feuding with the Whitecaps U-23 side, and doing exhibition games against Edmonton FC (even though they're NASL).

The clubs colors need to be front and center in a place like the Ship and Anchor too.

Ozy_Flame
06-22-2015, 03:46 PM
Also, it would be awesome if you guys could get some bleachers set up at Broadview Park. have a centrally-located game (at least once), promote the hell out of it, and see what comes up, especially on a weeknight game. Easier said than done, but I feel location is a big deal, especially if you can get people flooding memorial on the rush hour home to catch a game with some food trucks around, it would go a long way.

Muta
06-22-2015, 04:39 PM
Here's my take:

Soccer allegiances are unfortunately, alive and well here. Many soccer fans, and players, may see this as a Foothills FC thing; a team that these players have feuded with for years. The beauty is that there IS a market to focus on: Calgary's immigrated population. I believe that people, especially from abroad, connect with the game more. The demographics of the city are changing - hence, the next steps:

Change the name to a more cohesive, and less divisive, name. Calgary United, or Calgary FC - a neutral, old school name that Calgarians can get behind - and, nothing cheesy (like the Calgary Storm). Create a new club with a high-level, bad-ass soccer name.

Market to, and (if possible) play some games in, central / central-east / east Calgary. These regions have a more diverse international mosaic, less disposable income and likely a higher appreciation for the game developed outside of Calgary. Cheap tickets to a professional game, played right within their backyard, is something that hasn't happened before in this city (since most sports facilities are central and west in Calgary). Hellard Field isn't an ideal location, and out of the way for many of these targeted fans, so going to them might be a really strategic option.

Partner with the Flames for cross-promotion. Hell, convince the Flames to become part owners. With a serious financial backer, and a sport that would be relatively low cost for them, they could cross-promote and expose the club to new sports fans (including new and young families with limited disposable income). Having a name like the Flames giving them credibility would go a long way. Also, they would have a new tenant for any future stadium project, which would help give the new facility more game events other than just CFL. I know the ownership group is well aware of a soccer story that could be made in this city, too.

Directly market the team as a way to get to MLS. While bold and long-term, it gives the casual fan a reason to buy in. Wanna see Calgary compete with the Whitecaps and Toronto FC? Wanna see high level soccer come here? It all starts with your local club. Let's grow this thing and show the world what we're capable of. Create excitement.

Media exposure - highlights on all major local channels. The more the better. This is a great way to get exposure. I saw highlights the other night and it got me excited.

Player exposure - get the players out in the community making appearances, using Twitter / FB / Instagram, so that the fans can connect to the players.

Long-term: build a central academy that analyzes all local and regional talent. This academy works hand-in-hand with Calgary Foothills and the PDL to identify and train local talent in a more direct, visible setting. It also gives a public channel to the thousands of local soccer players that are wondering how to take their skills to the next level, but don't know where to go. This facility acts as the 'nexus' for Foothills, for the PDL, for other local leagues and for the MLS as a main contact for the region.

Jerseys - get them out there, suck up the cost and distribute 500 free jerseys through cross-promotional events. The more people wearing the colors, and the official uniform, the better the exposure is going to be.

Website - re-do this ASAP. Make it less text-based, more soccer-experienced based. Make an amazing promotional video that captures the story of the team, and where they're going. Make the website look and feel different than anything else done before. It's not hard, either... sports teams usually have garbage websites crammed with too much info.

That's just off the top of my head... sorry for the long post.

shermanator
06-22-2015, 07:02 PM
Some really good feedback here, and suggestions on how to improve turnout. If the club wants the supporters feedback I'll definitely throw some of these ideas there way.

Ozy_Flame
06-22-2015, 07:09 PM
Another thought - you really have to get the fans to buy into the fact that these guys aren't too far down from MLS. Almost like the branding needs to revolve around the fact that Foothills is the gateway for fans and players to Major League Soccer. I think the connection has to be made that the club is not just another community squad, they are a legitimate development club producing players that will go on to have professional footy careers. We are watching the future of MLS today. That gets the kids coming up through the local clubs excited and something to work towards, and to get fans ready for professional soccer in this city.

M*A*S*H 4077
06-22-2015, 07:57 PM
I'll echo some of the thoughts already out there. I'd love to get to a game but Tuesdays/Thursdays/Sundays are the busiest days in my week. Looks like there is a Wednesday game in July that I will definitely be attending. Next year I'll have to buy season tickets/check the schedule earlier to enable me to get to more games. I do agree that people like me aren't helping anything right now, just need to commit and get out there!

I think the colours and history of Foothills is great but I would change the name to Calgary FC or something like that. After playing against Foothills for many years I have to remind myself that they are no longer the enemy! Although that will change after a season or two I'm sure.

Definitely get the colours and posters out there. Pubs, restaurants, anywhere that will let you hang a poster or a scarf, especially sports orientated places. I know marketing/advertising is expensive but I would try and get involved with the Stamps/Flames somehow.

Keep doing what you're doing Shermanator. You're passionate about this and this needs people like you to help gain some traction

shermanator
06-22-2015, 08:55 PM
Another thought - you really have to get the fans to buy into the fact that these guys aren't too far down from MLS. Almost like the branding needs to revolve around the fact that Foothills is the gateway for fans and players to Major League Soccer. I think the connection has to be made that the club is not just another community squad, they are a legitimate development club producing players that will go on to have professional footy careers. We are watching the future of MLS today. That gets the kids coming up through the local clubs excited and something to work towards, and to get fans ready for professional soccer in this city.

Couldn't agree more. A tweet a little earlier back mentioned that folks might be disappointed in beer league caliber soccer. Well, this isn't a beer league team. 5 of the top 50 PDL prospects listed are from Calgary Foothills (or at least that's how this page was described to me). Same number as Seattle Sounders and 3 more than Portland Timbers. http://uslpdl.com/prospects/index_E.html

Also, forgot to share this earlier. We had an older lady yell at us shortly before halftime as we were ragging on the ref for something. Shook her finger at us and mentioned that the ref was doing his job and to leave him alone. Only took 4 games for someone to complain to us! Not bad...

We hung a scarf up at Pazzer's last night. Hopefully it's still there when we return on Sunday.

Ozy_Flame
06-22-2015, 09:02 PM
Would love to see some names like Calgary Norsemen SC or the Calgary Highlanders FC (if that's not stepping on military community's toes in any way). Honors our city past and/or storied military history. I've also thought a dark green/dark blue color scheme would match that traditional kilt pattern that is part of the traditional Scottish wear, and the Foothills FC insignia isn't too far off from matching it. Heck, the scarves could be of that kilt pattern. The colors would also be distinguishable enough from the other major Canadian soccer teams. Perhaps a kit color that can utilize the same thing would make for that great visual branding that represents strength, sportsmanship, and independence - a statement that this club can stand on its own, and has an integrated approach with its fan base as one team, one community.

I do get excited thinking about how to grow the PDL team in this city, and I think the support is there - would love to see some off-season marketing that can build a fan base over 1500 attendance per game for next season, and I think it's doable. Remember, the first year of a new business is always the shakiest, and the second year builds the customer base with lessons learned.

I also agree with Muta in that the website needs to be overhauled. Needs to be way more simple with less information, and branded on it's own separately from the Foothills organization to gain traction. I hate saying this but the site makes it look like the best of the community squads, but not a pro team. I can give you some pointers if the website is something you guys want to change, I design content management systems and portal sites for a living.

You're on the right path Shermanator, don't stop doing what you're doing. It's exactly what pro soccer in this city needs.

Addick
06-23-2015, 09:27 AM
As an example, before the home opener I met with one of the organizers of the Calgary Gooners. He asked me what he could do to help our supporters club grow and how the Calgary Gooners could help support the local club. My response was to simply have folks buy tickets and spread the word about the club and supporters group. I have yet to see said organizer to a single game. A few Gooners went to the home opener, and I’ve only seen 1 back for a second game.

So, there must be something about the local product that is simply unappetizing to those who are aware of the club and I’m curious as to what it is.

Sorry that the Gooners haven't been able to make it out to more matches. Arsenal Canada is undergoing a massive reorganization and most of the Calgary Gooners leaders that have the time are helping out with that business. Normally, one or two of us in the shadows would be able to step but like myself we're tied up with life stuff (i.e. recently moved up North).

Nevertheless, I did make an interesting observation when I was promoting the first match to the group. While there was a lot of interest among Gooners in attending the Foothills match, going to the match is not part of the normal routine that going down to the Pig for an Arsenal match has become. This is actually something we have noticed with people that have recently started following or become interested in the Arsenal. Unlike the supporters that have developed a bond and passion for the club that has seen watching matches progress from an occasional occurrence to watching every match at home and finally weekly pilgrimages to the pub, new Gooners haven’t developed that allegiance that enshrines Saturday mornings at the Pig as part of their normal routine. Essentially, aside from the Footsoldiers that have a deep, vested interested in local football it will take time for most Calgarians to show up to a match and then make matches routine.

Increasing the priority of attending a match for most Calgarians will take time. Personally, I really want the team to do well and will go to matches whenever they take place during a planned trip back. However, I had to make an emergency trip back over the weekend but needed to leave Calgary around noon on Sunday. If it was an Arsenal match that afternoon, I would have risked things and delayed my departure because the club and I go way back. Even though I have season tickets for Foothills, I wasn’t prepared to risk the wrath as we just aren’t there yet. In a couple of seasons when I know all the players by name and every song by heart, I’ll probably be more inclined to get in trouble for the club. However, that will take time.

Nevertheless, there are some great ideas above. In terms of helping people begin to fall in love or in like with the club, I like the ideas that make it easier to attend a match and those that help polish the clubs’ identity as a professional organization (e.g. improve the crest, kit and website). However, I do recall Tommy mentioning that scheduling is a bit difficult as they try to accommodate the shoestring travel budgets of PDL clubs.

cam_wmh
06-23-2015, 01:33 PM
Also, it would be awesome if you guys could get some bleachers set up at Broadview Park. have a centrally-located game (at least once), promote the hell out of it, and see what comes up, especially on a weeknight game. Easier said than done, but I feel location is a big deal, especially if you can get people flooding memorial on the rush hour home to catch a game with some food trucks around, it would go a long way.

Partner with Mount Royal College, use field #1, put in bleachers, market to the campus crowd with cheap concessions/beers, and BAM BOB'S YOUR UNCLE.

MillerTime GFG
06-23-2015, 01:37 PM
Jeesh, a lot of Foothills haters in here! :ph34r:

Even as a former Foothills player myself, I do think they should change the name for the exact reasons mentioned. Although they're not around anymore, Calgary Celtics were always our rivals, and it was definitely bitter. I'm sure that would make it more difficult to support if that were the case.

There is no reason that there shouldn't be swarms of kid's soccer teams going to these games. If I were a coach, I'd be organizing outings to these games for sure.

cam_wmh
06-23-2015, 01:52 PM

Even as a former Foothills player myself, I do think they should change the name for the exact reasons mentioned. Although they're not around anymore, Calgary Celtics were always our rivals, and it was definitely bitter. I'm sure that would make it more difficult to support if that were the case.

There is no reason that there shouldn't be swarms of kid's soccer teams going to these games. If I were a coach, I'd be organizing outings to these games for sure.

I can empathize as I was a Celtic as a kid, and hated Foothills. I don't especially care anymore, since they're gone though.

Whatever happened to them anyway?

MillerTime GFG
06-23-2015, 02:13 PM
I can empathize as I was a Celtic as a kid, and hated Foothills. I don't especially care anymore, since they're gone though.

Whatever happened to them anyway?

Just put you on ignore for being a Celtic. Kidding. I'm guessing Paul Verdy ruined Celtic. (Not sure if you remember/knew him, but if you do, you'd probably chuckle)

I really don't know what happened to them, I'm too far removed. SWU was never around either. It was just Foothills, Blizzards, Eastside, Celtic, and Chinooks back then, and that was pretty much it I think.

Addick
06-23-2015, 02:30 PM

I played in some heated matches against Foothills but it gives the club something TFC and Sporting Kansas don't have, history. In fact, even for those who played against Foothills it allows you to actually relate to the club.

Considering they have their own youth teams, you are definitely right about there being no reason to not have them in the stands. They could pick one of their own youth teams to warm up with them on the pitch and then have them in the stands for the game.

MillerTime GFG
06-23-2015, 03:30 PM
I played in some heated matches against Foothills but it gives the club something TFC and Sporting Kansas don't have, history. In fact, even for those who played against Foothills it allows you to actually relate to the club.

I agree, I do like the history aspect of it, but I know for a fact there are some other clubs that are none too keen with Foothills in general, let alone the PDL club.

I'm not sure if changing the name would necessarily help because the same guys that are running it would still obviously have Foothills ties, but who knows. If you were a kid playing for SWU for example, and you went to watch Foothills PDL play, don't you think you'd be thinking in your head that you're maybe playing for the wrong club, and that the opportunity would exist moreso if you played for Foothills? You want to get the 10-15 year olds coming to these games too, but that's also the age where kids really start to get competitive, and in turn, develop that hatred towards rival clubs. Heck, even these kids' parents who would attend with them, would have hatred towards opposing clubs. I remember getting absolutely ridiculed by some Millwoods parents at the age of 15. Millwoods is a whole different story, but you get the idea...

TBH, I had these same doubts from the start. Love the guys in charge, but I'm not so sure I love the team name selection. I think the real attendance potential is in the youth clubs and their coaches/parents. I would be absolutely pounding the pavement to get these kids and clubs to the games.

cam_wmh
06-23-2015, 03:50 PM
Just put you on ignore for being a Celtic. Kidding. I'm guessing Paul Verdy ruined Celtic. (Not sure if you remember/knew him, but if you do, you'd probably chuckle)

I really don't know what happened to them, I'm too far removed. SWU was never around either. It was just Foothills, Blizzards, Eastside, Celtic, and Chinooks back then, and that was pretty much it I think.

Yup those were the only 5 I recall as a kid too. The top 2 were always us and Foothills. The others we'd roll.

I think I recall, Lethbridge Ajax and Red Deer Cosmos too when we got out of City's, but it's been a while.

How old are you Miller? Maybe we played each other.:bag:

MillerTime GFG
06-23-2015, 04:06 PM
I'm an 84, you?

Jimmy Stang
06-23-2015, 05:04 PM
Calgary Eagles alumni here. Who's old now? ;) I believe that they folded right around when I was finishing up in minor, or shortly thereafter, so I'm guessing 1998 or 1999.

Addick
06-24-2015, 10:11 AM
I agree, I do like the history aspect of it, but I know for a fact there are some other clubs that are none too keen with Foothills in general, let alone the PDL club.

Yeah, that will be the case for a few parties. While it may turn those people away, it isn't contributing to the issue that Shermanator is looking to address. Many people who are not bothered with the name/association and are genuinely interested simply aren’t showing up in a consistent fashion. If Foothills can convert these people’s interest into a continual investment of their time and money, they can place the club in a strong position where they are Calgary’s defacto club. Newcastle is a rarity in English football as it is a one club city and I’m assuming Newcastle United had similar issues when they became professional.

Before we get ahead of ourselves, has the club stated/indicated that attendance is an issue at this point?

MillerTime GFG
06-24-2015, 10:16 AM
I think it has been mentioned by someone, but they really should get the PDL players out in the community, with other clubs. They should be doing guest coaching appearances. Kids love that stuff, and the players can encourage the kids and their parents/coaches to come out and watch.

Of course they might be doing this already, I really don't know, but I do know that FC Edmonton does quite a bit of this stuff.

shermanator
06-24-2015, 10:18 AM
Before we get ahead of ourselves, has the club stated/indicated that attendance is an issue at this point?

No one at the club has mentioned it is a problem, it's just me as one of the main supporters whining about it. I would guess 1000 per game is the break even point, and I really don't think that's an outrageous number of people to get out to games.

Resolute 14
06-24-2015, 11:00 AM
IF 1000 is break even, Foothills is probably in trouble. Quickly found estimates for 2013: http://www.kenn.com/the_blog/?p=4795

Only eight teams broke 1000, and most were well below what Calgary seems to be averaging.

Edit: 2014: http://www.kenn.com/the_blog/?p=6037

Addick
06-24-2015, 01:35 PM
Going by the numbers provided above, it looks like achieving an average attendance of 1000 would categorize operations as a success. An average attendance of 250 might be enough to see the team breakeven. If this is the case, I think Foothills will have a fair bit of time to build their base and develop a core following.

It’s going to be a combination of drawing in people who are unaware (e.g. Youth teams and people new to footy) and getting people who are interested to actually turn up. There are probably several quick ways to manage the former and I’m interested to see how the latter can be tackled.

shermanator
06-24-2015, 03:22 PM
I think my earlier estimate of 1000 to break even was off.

According to this article, the operating budget of the club per year is about $150K (I'm excluding the one time franchise fee). Based on their reported sponsorships being ~100K, which is very good for PDL, they need to make ~50K in ticket sales, merch, beer, etc to break even:

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/alberta/mls-the-long-term-goal-as-professional-soccer-returns-to-calgary/article24354488/

So, with an average attendance of ~500 this year date, average ticket price of $12.50, there's 25K left to be made with ticket sales of the last two games and beer and merch.

Addick
06-24-2015, 04:15 PM
So, with an average attendance of ~500 this year date, average ticket price of $12.50, there's 25K left to be made with ticket sales of the last two games and beer and merch.

Never underestimate revenue that can be made from beer. After some Juventus bosses visited the Emirates and saw how much Arsenal charged for beer, they said they deffo needed to build a new stadium.

cam_wmh
06-24-2015, 07:23 PM
I'm an 84, you?

ha. no i'm 79.

MillerTime GFG
06-25-2015, 08:10 AM
ha. no i'm 79.

I'm jealous, you can play O35! :w00t:

cam_wmh
06-25-2015, 08:31 AM
I'm jealous, you can play O35! :w00t:

Yep. It's awesome. I'm on track to play >40 games this summer.

Ozy_Flame
06-25-2015, 08:43 AM
Yep. It's awesome. I'm on track to play >40 games this summer.

That's insane. You must love football to play that much!

shermanator
06-25-2015, 10:28 AM
The PDL has unveiled a scouting network, which it hopes will help MLS and USL scouts identify elite PDL talent. The top 50 prospects based on this scouting network will be updated every couple weeks.

This is the list where 5 of the top 50 prospects are playing for Calgary Foothills.

http://www.uslpdl.com/home/883451.html#.VYrDHB8PLLo.twitter

cam_wmh
06-25-2015, 11:09 AM
That's insane. You must love football to play that much!

haha suppose I do. For instance this week played Sunday, Tuesday, and now tonight.

In fairness to the fitness consideration... I'm a keeper.

Muta
06-25-2015, 01:11 PM
The PDL has unveiled a scouting network, which it hopes will help MLS and USL scouts identify elite PDL talent. The top 50 prospects based on this scouting network will be updated every couple weeks.

This is the list where 5 of the top 50 prospects are playing for Calgary Foothills.

http://www.uslpdl.com/home/883451.html#.VYrDHB8PLLo.twitter

I hate seeing kids younger than me achieving more than I ever did at that age.

Wankers.

:D

MillerTime GFG
06-25-2015, 01:32 PM
haha suppose I do. For instance this week played Sunday, Tuesday, and now tonight.

In fairness to the fitness consideration... I'm a keeper.

I'm playing tonight on shouldice Encana, but am playing in net lol. Keeper's out of town and I used to play a little in Uni, so here goes nothin...also have a guest PDL player coming to join us. Hopefully he can help us score some goals after back-to-back 0-0 draws. :/

cam_wmh
06-25-2015, 02:38 PM
I'm playing tonight on shouldice Encana, but am playing in net lol. Keeper's out of town and I used to play a little in Uni, so here goes nothin...also have a guest PDL player coming to join us. Hopefully he can help us score some goals after back-to-back 0-0 draws. :/

That sounds like a good match to watch. Are you majors? I'd imagine so.

MillerTime GFG
06-25-2015, 03:39 PM
That sounds like a good match to watch. Are you majors? I'd imagine so.

Prem in outdoor, major in indoor. We're a bunch of guys that used to play major outdoor but got sick of the travel/commitment. You know, kids and wives...

As for our match tonight, it's tough to say...we're playing a team that isn't very good, but we are missing 7 starters so who knows. And I'm in net. :D

Nuje
06-27-2015, 01:20 AM
So for anybody interested in joining us for a CFFC game, the plan is to meet at Pazzer's pub (across the street from Shouldice) at 11am for breakfast and perhaps some pints. By perhaps, I, of course, mean definitely. Around 12:45, we'll be heading out of there to Hellard. Kickoff is at 1:30am.

shermanator
06-28-2015, 05:19 PM
Well, if I was going to miss a game this was the right one to do so. 4-0 loss to Seattle Sounders U-23 this afternoon.

Yoho
06-28-2015, 05:34 PM
@tommywheeldonjr: A bad day at the office. Needed the win & rolled the dice. Time to build towards 2016 & blood more Yth. Thx for the support @footsoldierssg

soreshins
07-05-2015, 01:02 AM
Thinking of heading down to the game next Wednesday v Lane United if work permits. I'm a Dundee United (SPFL) fan - for my sins - but would like to support a local team. Is is the last game of the season?

shermanator
07-05-2015, 11:45 AM
Yup, the game on July 15 is the last one of the year.

shermanator
07-05-2015, 05:13 PM
Calgary Foothills draw Puget Sound 0-0 on Friday and defeat Washington Crossfire 3-0 this afternoon.

Last game of the year is July 15 against Lane United. To everyone who is interested and able to go, I encourage you to do so.

Bill Bumface
07-07-2015, 11:28 AM
I'll be making it down. Just sent my email to round up the troops and try get some people to check it out.

Muta
07-07-2015, 12:52 PM
Me too, I'm coming down.

shermanator
07-07-2015, 01:20 PM
Brilliant! If anyone wants to say hello I'll either be in the beer gardens or with the other supporters chanting!

lazypucker
07-07-2015, 04:22 PM
July 15 is a Wednesday. I suppose it will be a night game. What's the kickoff time?

Ozy_Flame
07-07-2015, 04:23 PM
I'm in Edmonton that night unfortunately, was planning on attending!!! D'oh!!

shermanator
07-07-2015, 04:26 PM
July 15 is a Wednesday. I suppose it will be a night game. What's the kickoff time?

Kickoff is 7 pm.

shermanator
07-15-2015, 08:58 AM
Bumping to remind folks that the last game of the season is tonight. 7 pm. Hope to see lots of folks there!

Muta
07-15-2015, 11:18 AM
Shermanator, is it cash only to buy tickets there?

shermanator
07-15-2015, 11:32 AM
I believe it is cash only, yes.

Bill Bumface
07-15-2015, 12:18 PM
Same story for beer? I'll be there. Bringing along 2 or 3 others with me.

shermanator
07-15-2015, 01:25 PM
Same story for beer too. Also, you have to drink your beer in the beer gardens, can't bring them in the stands. Think that might be a licensing at Shoudice thing.

Muta
07-16-2015, 08:45 AM
Hey shermanator, had a great time at the game last night... will definitely be looking into season tickets next year.

Bring_Back_Shantz
07-16-2015, 08:54 AM
Went with Bill to the game last night, and had a pretty good time.

Too bad the season is over, I would have enjoyed hitting a weekend game and watching from the beer gardens.

Muta
07-16-2015, 09:38 AM
Me too, I'd totally go and watch another game this weekend.

As cliche as this sounds, I think I would prefer to have a lively British announcer for the games... I think it would add to the fun factor and put a European dynamic into the experience. The current announcer sounds nasally and kinda boring.

shermanator
07-16-2015, 09:44 AM
Awesome, anyone see the Lane United coach flip us the bird?

Last night's game was probably the most entertaining game of the year. Lane United play a good villain, they are chippy and an easy team to get a hatred for. Outside of that they are probably the best run club in the PDL that isn't a product of an MLS club, they were the only club that streamed our away game.

Ozy_Flame
07-16-2015, 10:06 AM
Wanted to make it!! Next season for sure!!

Johnny199r
07-16-2015, 10:21 AM
Hope a young player or two gets a look from a higher level program. Elijah A. Seemed to have been the standout player this season.

Bill Bumface
07-16-2015, 10:22 AM
It was a great time all around.

My one friends comment "The only thing missing is a bigger crowd. But I guess that's why we should come to stuff like this more often".

I'm also sad I wasn't able to catch more games this year, but look forward to checking it out again next season.

It did hurt me inside to look at the pristine grass pitch with no lines on it just beside Hellard.

MillerTime GFG
07-16-2015, 10:26 AM
It was a great time all around.

My one friends comment "The only thing missing is a bigger crowd. But I guess that's why we should come to stuff like this more often".

I'm also sad I wasn't able to catch more games this year, but look forward to checking it out again next season.

It did hurt me inside to look at the pristine grass pitch with no lines on it just beside Hellard.

Trust me, that field is only pristine from a distance, and it's a very small pitch.

Muta
07-16-2015, 10:27 AM
If Hellard was full, it would be an awesome time. I would expect more people to show up next year. Connections to the community are still being built; this is always an ongoing process for the first five years for startups like these.

shermanator
07-16-2015, 10:37 AM
Glad to hear it was a good time for those who could make it. If it's fun to go to, that's the most important thing.

Chatted with Tommy Wheeldon after the game, he mentioned that a number of places were looked at this year, and are being looked at for next year. Asked him about Calgary Rugby Park and he said that is a nice place but has a bumpy and sloped pitch so not necessarily ideal. He also mentioned potentially looking at one of the grass fields at the Calgary Soccer Centre, but more stands would need to be added.

Elijah Adekugbe is probably the club's best player, I imagine he will be moving his way up the ladder soon.

Addick
07-16-2015, 11:01 AM
As cliche as this sounds, I think I would prefer to have a lively British announcer for the games... I think it would add to the fun factor and put a European dynamic into the experience. The current announcer sounds nasally and kinda boring.

One of my friends from London would be perfect. He was the tall English guy with a massive beard in the Beer Gardens last night. He would be a proper laugh.

Ozy_Flame
07-16-2015, 11:12 AM
One of my friends from London would be perfect. He was the tall English guy with a massive beard in the Beer Gardens last night. He would be a proper laugh.

And then get in a proper fistfight after the game with pints to follow?

shermanator
07-16-2015, 11:32 AM

Ya I've met him a few times. Hard to miss. Would be great.

shermanator
11-28-2015, 11:33 AM
Here's a good interview with Tommy Wheeldon about Calgary Foothills and how they want to grow the club in the next few years.

t9f2HoTzQww

HarryH93
11-30-2015, 12:32 PM
I'd be really interested in going to games next season. When can I purchase a few season passes?

shermanator
01-14-2016, 07:43 PM
Here's a video from CTV News on the new facility Calgary Foothills is building. Take note, Calgary Flames, it's 100% privately funded.

HarryH93, last year season tickets came out in the spring. I'll get a new thread up when the 2016 schedule is announced and can link to how to get season tickets when they are available.

http://calgary.ctvnews.ca/video?clipId=788589

Johnny199r
01-14-2016, 08:15 PM
Foothills is the model community club in Western Canada. Great work in funding their own building, I can't think of another club that has done it.

Addick
01-15-2016, 04:00 PM
Here's a video from CTV News on the new facility Calgary Foothills is building. Take note, Calgary Flames, it's 100% privately funded.

http://calgary.ctvnews.ca/video?clipId=788589

It's incredible that they've already raised $9M.