PDA

View Full Version : ESPN parting with Bill Simmons

rubecube
05-09-2015, 09:52 AM
Surprised this hasn't been posted yet. Not too hard to believe with the way ESPN has become a propaganda wing for the NFL.

http://deadspin.com/why-espn-fired-bill-simmons-1703103609

CofR
05-09-2015, 12:17 PM
Say what you will about Simmons, personally I really like him, but it's pretty clear this is stemming from Simmons being so critical of the NFL, ESPN acting as Goddell's puppet.

flames_fan_down_under
05-09-2015, 12:35 PM
I understand being critical of your employer but do it behind closed doors, don't air your dirty laundry in public, its in poor taste IMO. Especially if the employer is paying the employee 5 million dollars a year.

d_phaneuf
05-09-2015, 04:37 PM
ya I kind of side with ESPN on this, and I like Simmons (also think he will be able to be more free wherever hires him next)

he causes headaches for the company, and Grantland has been a financial disaster, from what most places which track online views show he is the only writer they have with a good following

bluejays
05-09-2015, 06:37 PM
I understand being critical of your employer but do it behind closed doors, don't air your dirty laundry in public, its in poor taste IMO. Especially if the employer is paying the employee 5 million dollars a year.

While I'm all for that approach normally as well, there are also times where a company needs that public shelling for things to be exposed. ESPN's love for propagandizing the NFL has been ridiculous. In this case Simmons was as right as could be in his critique of his station. Especially when his hand was slapped for ripping Goodell (who himself was left untouched when he was clearly screwing around). Hopefully Simmonds goes to a rival and steals ratings.

Yoho
05-09-2015, 07:29 PM
While I'm all for that approach normally as well, there are also times where a company needs that public shelling for things to be exposed. ESPN's love for propagandizing the NFL has been ridiculous. In this case Simmons was as right as could be in his critique of his station. Especially when his hand was slapped for ripping Goodell (who himself was left untouched when he was clearly screwing around). Hopefully Simmonds goes to a rival and steals ratings.

Whenever this happens to an ESPN guy you always hear this, but seldom ever hear the persons name again.

d_phaneuf
05-09-2015, 07:42 PM

he got suspended for calling out his bosses, not the NFL

he's criticized the NFL and Goodell plenty, but when you dare your bosses to suspend you, it's a dumb thing to do

Keselke
05-09-2015, 08:28 PM
At this point Simmons has built his own brand, he no longer need a platform like espn to be successful.

So I am guessing this means that Grantland will no longer be featured on espn?

d_phaneuf
05-09-2015, 09:10 PM
ESPN owns grantland its theirs not his

Keselke
05-09-2015, 09:16 PM
ESPN owns grantland its theirs not his

Interesting, however I think despire espn claims, grantland will not continue in the fashion that it currently is. Guessing Simmons just goes and does his own thing, the publisher david cho has already left grantland in the wake of this news.....then again maybe it just stays status quo, or a larger shift to Five Thirty Eight

Any news on when he will stop performing any of his regular duties for espn like the basketball hour or bs report

Antithesis
05-10-2015, 11:17 AM
It's definitely strange - and out of character - that Simmons hasn't had anything to say about this at all.

d_phaneuf
05-10-2015, 12:45 PM
It's definitely strange - and out of character - that Simmons hasn't had anything to say about this at all.

his people are probably negotiating with ESPN whether he leaves now, goes silent until September, or continues as is until September

bluejays
05-10-2015, 07:51 PM

he's criticized the NFL and Goodell plenty, but when you dare your bosses to suspend you, it's a dumb thing to do

That's definitely fair enough, but I think there was more to it then what we seen. There was some reports at the time which stated they slapped his hands before, so perhaps it was his way of publically voicing his displeasure. Right or wrong, I don't think it would've just come outta nowhere.

Antithesis
05-10-2015, 09:26 PM
From what I've read, it seems ESPN must have been quite angry with Simmons, making public their plan to not re-sign him before his contract ended. There's speculation that it could cost him hundreds of thousands, if not millions, on any new deal due to lose leverage. Can't imagine he particularly feels like producing content for them over the next while.

corporatejay
05-11-2015, 07:59 AM
From what I've read, it seems ESPN must have been quite angry with Simmons, making public their plan to not re-sign him before his contract ended. There's speculation that it could cost him hundreds of thousands, if not millions, on any new deal due to lose leverage. Can't imagine he particularly feels like producing content for them over the next while.

I don't know, a couple of months ago one of his best buds, JackO tweeted this:

From a report:
"ESPN clearly wants to renew Simmons' deal. It is believed Simmons wants to stay with the company too."

JackO's tweet:

I've known Bill since we were 18 years old. That is the funniest thing anyone has ever written about him.

Jason14h
05-11-2015, 04:43 PM
Simmons will sign with Turner sports as they have just signed a huge NBA deal

Erick Estrada
05-11-2015, 06:39 PM

Wether you have a good point or not has calling out company higher ups ever not resulted in being fired? If Simmons really wanted to continue his career with ESPN it's pretty clear his ego got in the way of common sense.

Senator Clay Davis
07-22-2015, 11:54 AM
Don't think many predicted this: Simmons will have a new show on...HBO

Just over a month after rumors surfaced that HBO was pursuing Bill Simmons, the premium cable network and the former ESPN personality announced a multi-year agreement that includes a weekly TV show and a production deal.

As reported by the New York Times‘ John Koblin, Simmons’ new talk show will debut in 2016 and his contract with HBO begins in October. According to The Hollywood Reporter‘s Lacey Rose, the show will not only be available on the regular HBO collection of networks but also on the HBO Go and HBO Now services, featuring stories and guests from both the sports and culture landscapes.

Simmons’ production deal with HBO will include creating video, podcasts and features for the network and its various digital platforms. Additionally, he’ll have a consulting role with HBO Sports working on developing shows and documentaries. (Rose specifically mentioned that Simmons will work with HBO Sports president Ken Hershman on non-boxing-related programming.)

http://awfulannouncing.com/2015/bill-simmons-is-going-to-hbo.html

SuperMatt18
07-22-2015, 12:03 PM
That is exciting.

Simmons was one of the main forces behind 30 for 30 at ESPN. If we can get that quality of Sports documentaries but with the no hold barred aspect that HBO would allow for it could be amazing.

I will likely watch his weekly show as well.

habernac
10-06-2015, 01:13 PM
Bill's new podcast is out. Pretty decent. He's hacking on ESPN quite a bit, I would recommend the listen.