PDA

View Full Version : LF: Legal Advice - Primary Care Paperwork of two kids

foshizzle11
05-05-2015, 01:59 PM
Hi there,
We are looking to get some legal paper work sorted out with my partner's ex-wife. The two boys have moved in with us to live during the week and go to school in our neighbourhood.

His ex has agreed to sign over primary care to my partner. Now we want to make it legal and let the courts know about this. We had a lawyer but paying him to do literally nothing for us wasn't worth it anymore. It costs thousands and we didn't get anything out of it, no paperwork, no nothing.

Are there standard forms that we can fill in ourselves and have his ex sign and approve with her lawyer or is the only option for us is to get a lawyer again?

Right now, while everything seems to be good between his ex and us, we want to get this dealt with.

Any advice would be great.

Thank you CP!

troutman
05-05-2015, 02:44 PM
There is not enough info in the OP to understand the circumstances and what stage you are at.

I would recommend getting the current lawyer to explain what stage he is at, and what it will take to get to this completion. If you are not satisfied with his answer, take the file to another lawyer.

foshizzle11
05-05-2015, 04:18 PM
I am basically asking if we can get this paperwork sorted out on our own and if there are some sort of templates from the government available for this sort of thing. We don't have the money to spend on a lawyer at the moment but would like to get this dealt with if we can on our own.

Basically, the boys spend weekdays with us and weekends with her. My partner is still paying child support to her because she still legally has primary care. We want to change the status so he has primary care and doesn't have to pay child support anymore.

The boys are 11 and 13. The youngest has lived with his dad for 4 years now and it was his choice to do so, he basically packed his bag and left for his dads when he was 8. Our 13 year old just moved from his mom's in September 2014 because she was having troubles controlling him and he was flunking out of school. Now he is with us, we have troubles at school but he isn't flunking anymore and there are no issues with his behaviour.

Is that enough info Troutman?

Basically, this lawyer has taken a lot of money from us for nothing. I really don't want to waste our time or money going back to him. If we ask him what stage he is at and he has to pick up the phone to talk to us he will charge us $100 for his time for a 5 minute phone call that will end up getting us nowhere. It really isn't worth it.

troutman
05-05-2015, 04:33 PM
Unless he is charging $1000 per hour a 5 min phone call should not cost $100.

Hard to comment on your case because I don't know what stage you are at already.

It is not as simple as filling out some templates.

I might suggest you call the lawyers assistant for an update, and pull the file if you are not getting progress or value.