PDA

View Full Version : Gd Spyware!

Krackt420
07-29-2004, 09:25 PM
Now I know I've seen someone ask this before, but as the old thread is no longer accessable on our fabulous new board, I wondered if someone could nudge me in the right direction again.

I keep getting popups saying my PC is infected blah blah blah...but most of the software I have to buy...and damnit...I don't want to pay to have advertisers piss off I didn't invite onto my PC in the first place....:blink:

Anyone know of free software that is any good...and I thought I heard someone talk about a free firewall download.

Also...I know some spyware programs will keep reinstalling themselves because of some program I may have downloaded that I might not want to get rid of......what sorts of common programs fall into that category?

ricosuave
07-29-2004, 09:32 PM
www.lavasoftusa.com - adaware

rico

MrMastodonFarm
07-29-2004, 09:35 PM
Just yesterday my computer was running at about 100%.. it is basically brand new and even wth 5 or 6 programs running it barely usually reachs 10%.. I ran my spyware program and man oh man.. so much spyware and adware.. I had forgotten to keep up on it. I use a program called Spybot search and destroy to get rid of it.

I find whenever I have a computer problem I head on over to the TechTV website and do some searching. Helpful fellow's.

Super-Rye
07-29-2004, 09:37 PM
Originally posted by MrMastodonFarm@Jul 29 2004, 09:35 PM
Just yesterday my computer was running at about 100%.. it is basically brand new and even wth 5 or 6 programs running it barely usually reachs 10%.. I ran my spyware program and man oh man.. so much spyware and adware.. I had forgotten to keep up on it. I use a program called Spybot search and destroy to get rid of it.

I find whenever I have a computer problem I head on over to the TechTV website and do some searching. Helpful fellow's.
Spybots a very good program, but you should also run Ad-Aware. Ad-Aware picks up what every Spybot doesn't grab, and vis-versa.

MrMastodonFarm
07-29-2004, 09:40 PM
Originally posted by Super-Rye@Jul 30 2004, 03:37 AM
Spybots a very good program, but you should also run Ad-Aware. Ad-Aware picks up what every Spybot doesn't grab, and vis-versa.
I also run a program called Spysweeper, between the two they usually catch most everything. I will look into Ad-Aware as well.

Krackt420
07-29-2004, 09:44 PM
ya, I have spybot...still doesn't seem to be catching everything. I'll have to get this Ad-aware..hmmm

Thanks guys

MrMastodonFarm
07-29-2004, 09:54 PM
I just downloaded, and ran Ad-Aware.. and man I am impressed. Got alot of things the other program didn't and so very quickly to boot. Impressive little program.

calgaryred
07-30-2004, 02:20 AM
spybot and adware together are the best me thinks :)

Dirty Mr. Clean
07-30-2004, 02:20 AM
Don't forget to switch your browser from IE to a Mozilla browser and you will get a lot less spyware as well.

Vulcan
07-30-2004, 02:36 AM
I use the free ZoneAlarm firewall which I found out about on TechTV. MSN or Internet Explorer also has a free popup blocker that I just started to use. Pow is another popup blocker. I also use Spybot and the free version of Registry First Aid. I only pay for Norton.

TheCommodoreAfro
07-30-2004, 03:09 AM
And stick WinPatrol in your computer to sniff out things that kick in without your knowledge at the start up menu, as most Spyware does.

Wolfwood
07-30-2004, 06:10 AM
I use a combination of Ad-Aware, Spybot, Mozilla, and Zone Alarm and it's kept my computer spyware free for quite a while now.

BlackEleven
07-30-2004, 07:38 AM
If you want to test your firewall or security software go to grc.com and go to the shields up page (https://www.grc.com/x/ne.dll?bh0bkyd2). You can test for a bunch of different things -- port vunerabilities, instant messaging spam, etc...

Its a pretty cool utility and the site has loads of security type of information.

Leeman4Gilmour
07-30-2004, 08:41 AM
I have that svchost vs. scvhost problem on my home computer, and although I haven't had a chance to work on it yet, I've gathered all the info to fix it and Bazooka was named as the only program which was finding this particular worm.