PDA

View Full Version : Lf 6volt deep cell batteries

MacDaddy77
03-29-2015, 09:50 PM
I know there was a user on here that used to sell batteries. Looking for batteries for my trailer. If you know who that was please let me know

Thanks. I did a search but there's been a lot of talk about batteries!

Aleks
03-29-2015, 10:22 PM
Costco sells good 6v batteries for an awesome price. They roll from the same factory as interstate, Johnson controls.

Traditional_Ale
03-29-2015, 10:30 PM
That guy was me.

I'm not in the battery game anymore, but CP still gets a good discount from Battery World (Chinook location). Just tell Peter that Trad from CP sent you and you're good to go.

Don't buy effing costco batteries. Get Trojan T-105s. End of story.

Pffft. Eff interstate.

Madman
03-30-2015, 02:01 PM
I also need some new batteries for my trailer, so this is a great thread.

If I'm really not going to do any serious dry camping, do I really need to get 2 6Vs? I had them before, and don't know if it's worth the cost to go with that same setup when we mainly camp with plug ins.

Trad, why are Interstates no good? That's what I was thinking of getting.

Traditional_Ale
03-30-2015, 02:12 PM
I also need some new batteries for my trailer, so this is a great thread.

If I'm really not going to do any serious dry camping, do I really need to get 2 6Vs? I had them before, and don't know if it's worth the cost to go with that same setup when we mainly camp with plug ins.

Trad, why are Interstates no good? That's what I was thinking of getting.

Trojan is the standard to which all specs are designed/published as far as deep cycling goes. Basically, the crap in the manual for your trailer has numbers based on using Trojan batteries.

Unless you are planning on using your trailer without plugging it in then just get one decent 12V and call it a day.

But get Trojan. Interstate uses a lot more recycled lead in their batteries, which means a lesser service life.

No matter what you get, make sure you buy a fully automatic charger/maintainer (such as a Battery Tender) and keep that battery plugged in when you're not using it. Any lead battery will self-discharge in 30 days and the acid turns into water and wrecks the plates.

MacDaddy77
03-30-2015, 03:24 PM
wait, so are you saying that after every camping trip I have to (should) take my batteries out and charge them constantly? I can't leave them on the trailer and just charge them a few days before camping again?

Also, since your way more informed than me I have the Nautalis intelligent charger below, is this sufficient for 6 volt batteries? Should I have a solar panel installed to constantly charge my battery in summer to avoid taking them in and out? I only had a tent trailer before so I appreciate your feedback

http://www.canadiantire.ca/en/automotive/batteries-accessories/chargers/smart-chargers/motomaster-nautilus-battery-charger-15-10-2a-0111525p.html?utm_campaign=bazaarvoice&utm_medium=SearchVoice&utm_source=AskAndAnswer&utm_content=Default

Madman
03-31-2015, 08:50 AM
wait, so are you saying that after every camping trip I have to (should) take my batteries out and charge them constantly? I can't leave them on the trailer and just charge them a few days before camping again?

Also, since your way more informed than me I have the Nautalis intelligent charger below, is this sufficient for 6 volt batteries? Should I have a solar panel installed to constantly charge my battery in summer to avoid taking them in and out? I only had a tent trailer before so I appreciate your feedback

http://www.canadiantire.ca/en/automotive/batteries-accessories/chargers/smart-chargers/motomaster-nautilus-battery-charger-15-10-2a-0111525p.html?utm_campaign=bazaarvoice&utm_medium=SearchVoice&utm_source=AskAndAnswer&utm_content=Default

If I may, I've always understood it that it's the most important thing to charge your batteries right back up when you get home and not wait until you bring it home for your next trip out.

something
03-31-2015, 10:29 AM

It is good practice to charge right after use. Otherwise sulfation will set in if the battery is less than charged and reduce the quality of the battery (and by reduce, I mean that you may have irreversible loss of capacity).

The nautilus charger does not indicate that it charges 6v batteries in its spec. You run the risk of overcharging for sure. Some other battery chargers automatically sense if the battery is 6 or 12v, and adjusts its charging limits accordingly. Take this one, for example:

http://www.amazon.ca/NOCO-G3500-3-5-Amp-Battery-Maintainer/dp/B004LWVEKS

You can also buy solar trickle charges that are permanently hooked up to the battery (good for trailers, of course) and maintain the charge levels indefinitely, while not in use. They are not ideal for charging the battery, but good to keep it topped off.

j_j
03-31-2015, 03:49 PM
That guy was me.

I'm not in the battery game anymore, but CP still gets a good discount from Battery World (Chinook location). Just tell Peter that Trad from CP sent you and you're good to go.

Don't buy effing costco batteries. Get Trojan T-105s. End of story.

Pffft. Eff interstate.

I needed a new battery as well. Tried Peter, he indicates he isn't offering the discount anymore.