PDA

View Full Version : [GDT] Flames vs. Sabres, 7 pm, SNW

Cali Panthers Fan
01-27-2015, 05:23 AM
http://www1.pictures.zimbio.com/gi/Jhonas+Enroth+Calgary+Flames+v+Buffalo+Sabres+vi_6 N6VKoZul.jpg

https://postmediacanadadotcom.files.wordpress.com/2014/03/hkn_sabres_flames_20140318_31085895.jpg

http://3.cdn.nhle.com/sabres/images/upload/gallery/2014/12/460331912_slide.jpg

http://a1.fssta.com/content/dam/fsdigital/fscom/NHL/images/2014/12/11/121114-20-NHL-fights-OB-PI.vadapt.620.high.0.jpg

http://a2.fssta.com/content/dam/fsdigital/fscom/NHL/images/2014/12/11/121114-14-NHL-Flames-Sabres-OB-PI.vadapt.620.high.0.jpg

http://betonhockey.net/wp-content/uploads/2014/12/JMC104_HKN_Sabres_Flames_20140318.jpg

Flames: 25-19-3, 53 points, 4th in the Pacific, 8th in the West, 16th in the NHL

Sabres: 14-30-3, 31 points, 8th in the Atlantic, 16th in the East, Dead Last in the NHL

First of all, hello to OutOfTheCube, our resident Sabres fan (for some reason, probably lost on him as well). I’m sure you’ll see him lurking today waiting for the Sabres to find a way to beat the Flames again.

Well, the Tank is strong with this group. Losers of 11 straight in regulation has put them firmly first in the Connor McDavid Standings. Their last win was on Dec. 27th, a shootout win over the New York Islanders, which broke another 4 game losing streak. That means they have had 1 win in their last 16 games, just pitiful. It’s not like they were playing top competition either. They had games in that stretch against New Jersey, Carolina, Colorado, Ottawa, Minnesota and Philly.

Of course, the Flames happened to catch them in the middle of a weird 4 game hot streak, and a period where this team happened to win 10 of 13 games, against some very good teams too. As you can see above, they only have 14 wins all year, so that stretch might be all they had to offer to the win column this entire year. Well, now the tables have turned. The Sabres can’t buy a win and are beginning a western road trip against a Flames team that’s still stinging from a bad/unlucky loss to the Ducks before the all-star break, ending a 4 game winning streak. If the Flames don’t absolutely whup the Sabres tonight, I (and many other Flames fans) will be extremely disappointed.

Back to the Sabres, before this streak they had a terrible goal differential in the mid 30s. That was bad, but it was still comparable to the Oilers and Coyotes. Since then, they have perfected losing in a big way, building that goal differential to an astounding -78. I can’t even comprehend losing that badly every night. The next closest teams are still Edmonton and Arizona, but at a -49 and -51, it’s not even close compared to the real tankers this year are. The goals against are insane, up to 3.53 GA/G (30th in NHL), but over the last 11 it’s nearing grotesque standards for the NHL at 4.45 GA/G. Their penalty kill is operating at 73.8% (30th). If the Flames don’t score on the powerplay tonight, I don’t know what it will take. This game has confidence booster written all over it for the Flames man-advantage, which it desperately needs as it’s now fallen to 16.5% and 23rd in the league. Not that long ago, they were in the top 10.

Sticking with special teams, the Flames much maligned PK has done ok of late, only giving up 3 PP goals in 8 games since the new year began. Unfortunately, that was good for only about 76.8%, which is right on par with their average for the entire year. It seems like the Flames best penalty killing strategy is to just not take a penalty, which they managed to do for 2 games in a row earlier. It should comfort the Flames to know that if they do happen to take a penalty tonight, they are facing the absolute worst power play in the entire league, operating at a lowly 9.9%. I can’t remember the last time I saw a single digit power play percentage. It’s not like the Sabres will score much 5 on 5 either. They have the worst offense operating below 2 goals a game at 1.77 GF/G. Their 5 on 5 F/A ratio is humbly the worst as well at 0.59. I could go on as to how bad the Sabres are this year, and especially of late, but it’s probably boring at this point.

Of course, it should be noted that they were up 3-0 on the Red Wings in their last game, and then managed to give up 6 to lose badly yet again.

Roster Notes: Curtis Glencross and Ladislav Smid are still on the IR and out for the forseeable future, although the Flames are claiming that Glencross might be ready for Thursday’s game. In the mean time, Sven Baertschi, David Wolf, and Tyler Wotherspoon have been recalled to fill out the practice roster spots, and are unlikely to play tonight, but don’t rule out any of those players getting some ice time in the future. The Sabres are without a real backup goaltender as Michal Neuvirth (as well as 3rd stringer Nathan Lieuwen) are injured, but the biggest blow came when they had to suspend Nikita Zadorov for failing to report to the team on time following the all-star break. No word on how long they plan to keep him out, and he will likely play at some point on this trip, but it won’t be tonight. The Sabres are also missing notables such as McCormick, Weber, and Foligno. However, Brian Gionta is scheduled to return after being out since Dec 21st with a concussion.

Flames
Gaudreau-Jooris-Hudler
Bouma-Monahan-Jones
Raymond-Backlund-Colborne
Bollig-Stajan-Byron

Giordano-Brodie
Russell-Wideman
Diaz-Engelland

Hiller

Sabres
Moulson-Girgensons-Ennis
Mitchell-Flynn-Gionta
Stafford-Hodgson-Stewart
Deslaurier-Ellis-Kaleta

Myers-Gorges
Ristolainen-Strachan
Benoit-Meszaros

Enroth

Go Flames Go!!!

rbochan
01-27-2015, 06:09 AM
http://i790.photobucket.com/albums/yy189/rbochan2/gdt/gatcifhj1.gif

Poe969
01-27-2015, 07:14 AM
8-3 Flames. Hiller lets in 3 goals, if it was Ortio it would be 8-0 though.

Erick Estrada
01-27-2015, 07:19 AM
A win nets 2 out of a possible 4 points against the Sabres which is a big misstep for a team that's tooth and nail to make the playoffs. A loss in regulation or OT tonight would be a complete disaster.

Vinny01
01-27-2015, 07:25 AM
I think I will end up missing this game which is too bad because this has won written all over it

flambers
01-27-2015, 07:30 AM
Would guess this is a low scoring 2-1 type of game. Very little offense tonight.

Flames find a way to win this one, but its an ugly game.

OutOfTheCube
01-27-2015, 07:31 AM
First of all, hello to OutOfTheCube, our resident Sabres fan (for some reason, probably lost on him as well). I’m sure you’ll see him lurking today waiting for the Sabres to find a way to beat the Flames again.

Here I am!

I'll be at the game tonight, section 201 near the back. It's kind of a win-win for me -- honestly it's better to have the Flames win, as Buffalo is horri-bad and so far out of it we're counting losses as McDavid points. But I also wouldn't mind seeing a win in the one game I get to go to this season.

So, go good game!

locsofblu
01-27-2015, 08:04 AM
Would love to see Raymond and Diaz benched for Sven and Wotherspoon. No brainer this is a must win game, going with a 4 -1 win tonight. Bollig with all 4 goals of course.

genetic_phreek
01-27-2015, 08:19 AM
Would love to see the lines like this tonight:

Gaudreau-Jooris-Hudler
Wolf-Monahan-Jones
Baertschi-Backlund-Colborne
Bouma-Stajan-Byron

Giordano-Brodie
Russell-Wideman
Wotherspoon-Diaz

Ramo

6-1 Flames. Book it.

Flamescat
01-27-2015, 08:22 AM
Hat trick for Girgensons, flames squeak a win, Latvia rejoices.

saillias
01-27-2015, 08:26 AM
Let's hope our creampuff D can find a way to not get bullied by Tyler Ennis again.

genetic_phreek
01-27-2015, 08:27 AM
Here I am!

I'll be at the game tonight, section 201 near the back. It's kind of a win-win for me -- honestly it's better to have the Flames win, as Buffalo is horri-bad and so far out of it we're counting losses as McDavid points. But I also wouldn't mind seeing a win in the one game I get to go to this season.

So, go good game!

What's the word on Grigorenko? He was highly touted and still couldn't crack this last place lineup. Has his development regressed? Or is he showing signs of improvement?

justing
01-27-2015, 08:38 AM
Thanks for the great write-up as always Cali!

Just a heads up, I'm giving away free tickets to tonight's game. Just post in this thread to enter: http://forum.calgarypuck.com/showthread.php?p=5108678#post5108678

Contest closes at 2pm.
GFG!!!

polak
01-27-2015, 09:00 AM
I'm far from confident about this game.

The last time we played the Sabres was the worst game of the season in my opinion. It was the first time you could really tell this team was coming back down to earth. Just terrible decision making and sloppy play all around.

GioforPM
01-27-2015, 09:01 AM
Last time Enroth played very well. Apparently the Sabres' goaltending has fallen off, according to Ray. Brodie won't have the horrid game he did last time against them, and Backlund is back and good for a goal.

I will be there tonight. If the tickets are the same as last time I went with this company, it will be midway in the club section, so great seats.

polak
01-27-2015, 09:34 AM
Oh don't get me wrong, this is a winable game without a doubt. The thing is it was winable last time too. I'm just saying that maybe we shouldn't already be celebrating this one just yet.

Enroth played OKAY last time. A lot of people thought he played awesome because we put a lot of shots on net but we had very few scoring chances that made it through.

But yeah, hopefully Brodie doesn't forget how to play hockey out of no where again. That was easily his worst performance so far this season. Backlund should help too!

Bandwagon In Flames
01-27-2015, 09:45 AM
Oh don't get me wrong, this is a winable game without a doubt. The thing is it was winable last time too. I'm just saying that maybe we shouldn't already be celebrating this one just yet.

Enroth played OKAY last time. A lot of people thought he played awesome because we put a lot of shots on net but we had very few scoring chances that made it through.

But yeah, hopefully Brodie doesn't forget how to play hockey out of no where again. That was easily his worst performance so far this season. Backlund should help too!

Every game is winnable, this is the NHL. Last time we played Buffalo they were one of the hottest teams in the league. Right now Buffalo is playing worse than the Oilers and they've got a depleted lineup. There's no reason to be pessimistic about this game.

Huntingwhale
01-27-2015, 09:47 AM
Every game is winnable, this is the NHL. Last time we played Buffalo they were one of the hottest teams in the league. Right now Buffalo is playing worse than the Oilers and they've got a depleted lineup. There's no reason to be pessimistic about this game.

I've heard that quote a hundred times over the years. I will be extremely disappointed if we somehow find a way to lose this one.

foshizzle11
01-27-2015, 09:51 AM
Seems like all the games are must wins now, they all matter. I think we win tonight 3-2, it will be a close one and the flames will squeak one out late in the 3rd.

Do we know the lineup for tonight? I hope we at least get to see one of Sven or Wolf tonight.

sureLoss
01-27-2015, 09:52 AM
painfully obvious who doesn't read the OP.

Street Pharmacist
01-27-2015, 10:04 AM
No reason?
1) first game back from a lengthy road trip? Check
2) first game after a lengthy break against a lowly team? Check

I think they win, but it's far from a Slam dunk. The sabres have won 14 games, we've won 25. That's not a guarantee. They've beaten some very good teams

Bandwagon In Flames
01-27-2015, 10:16 AM
No reason?
1) first game back from a lengthy road trip? Check
2) first game after a lengthy break against a lowly team? Check

I think they win, but it's far from a Slam dunk. The sabres have won 14 games, we've won 25. That's not a guarantee. They've beaten some very good teams

I'm not saying it's a Slam dunk, but I also don't see what you're trying to prove with those two points.

The fact they were on the all star break should negate the fact they were previously on a lengthy but successful road trip.

Buffalo also had a longer break by 3 days..

And they've suspended one of their better defensemen to help with the tank.

I stand by my statement.

sureLoss
01-27-2015, 10:26 AM
Pat Steinberg @Fan960Steinberg
No Hudler on the ice this morning. #Flames

looks like Sven or Wolf might get a chance

Fire
01-27-2015, 10:42 AM
No Hudler on the ice this morning. #Flames

looks like Sven or Wolf might get a chance

As much as I would like to see Wolf play, I think Sven makes more sense as a replacement. Though I would move someone else to RW since Sven has been terrible whenever he attempted to play his off-wing.

sureLoss
01-27-2015, 10:45 AM
Looks like Baertschi is in if Hudler can't go:

Randy Sportak @SUNRandySportak

Flames lines w/o Hudler:
Gaudreau-Monahan-Baertschi
Raymond-Jooris-Colborne
Bouma-Backlund-Jones
Bollig-Stajan-Byron

polak
01-27-2015, 10:49 AM

That is freaking awesome. I REALLY REALLY hope they click. Now I'm stoked I just grabbed some tickets to this one.

Flame19,289
01-27-2015, 10:49 AM

Flames lines w/o Hudler:
Raymond-Jooris-Colborne
Bouma-Backlund-Jones
Bollig-Stajan-Byron

Super excited to see that top line!
But do we have any idea what ails Hudler?

Bandwagon In Flames
01-27-2015, 10:54 AM

That is freaking awesome. I REALLY REALLY hope they click. Now I'm stoked I just grabbed some tickets to this one.

When your pessimistic I'm optimistic. Now that you're optimistic I find myself pessimistic about this.

Baertchi will now be against other teams top lines playing a position he has been atrocious at in the past.

I'd rather see Jooris moved to RW, Bouma to centre and Baertchi to 3rd line LW.

Muta
01-27-2015, 10:54 AM
Wolf should be playing over Raymond at this point.

saillias
01-27-2015, 10:57 AM

Same except Colborne to C instead of Bouma

polak
01-27-2015, 10:57 AM
When your pessimistic I'm optimistic. Now that you're optimistic I find myself pessimistic about this.

Baertchi will now be against other teams top lines playing a position he has been atrocious at in the past.

Well they can always take him off that line if he's not playing well.

I'm just excited cause we have confident Sven, that just got promoted to the top line, playing with our 2 best players. Could be a great show.

formulate
01-27-2015, 10:58 AM

Can't be sure what Hartley is planning in terms of matchups, but I'd guess that the Backlund line will mostly play against the opposing top line, and the Stajan line continues to take defensive zone starts, leaving a softer, more offensive role for our best scoring line.

foshizzle11
01-27-2015, 11:00 AM

Flames lines w/o Hudler:
Raymond-Jooris-Colborne
Bouma-Backlund-Jones
Bollig-Stajan-Byron

JG, Moneyhands and Sven playing together? I am definitely watching the game tonight.

sureLoss
01-27-2015, 11:06 AM
Hudler is under the weather. Game time decision tonight. #Flames

Cleveland Steam Whistle
01-27-2015, 11:09 AM
Oh wow, that one line sure will get people popping their Sven woodies. Exciting to see those guys play together though for sure, and hope they click.

That said with Gaudreau and Monohan together, I really don't like our other lines that much. I guess if Hudler were in playing with Backlund that would make for a second exciting line.

locsofblu
01-27-2015, 11:11 AM
Wolf should be playing over Raymond at this point.

Harvey should be playing over Raymond at this point.

locsofblu
01-27-2015, 11:12 AM
Hudler is under the weather. Game time decision tonight. #Flames

I bet you Hudler will go tonight.

Cleveland Steam Whistle
01-27-2015, 11:12 AM
Is Wolf actually anything, or is he just a bit of a crazy with a neat name who played in Europe and is now on a hot streak?........................I'm excited to find out at some point.

Bandwagon In Flames
01-27-2015, 11:22 AM
This is off topic, but doesn't fit anywhere else and deserves some screen time.

I didn't know this was a thing, but I bet Gaudreau hopes he's next in line.

u5PgOk1Hjcc

GioforPM
01-27-2015, 11:25 AM

That is freaking awesome..

It's NOT awesome to have Baertschi in if the reason is because Hudler is out.

Hudler is not a guy you want out of the lineup.

Resolute 14
01-27-2015, 11:26 AM
A win nets 2 out of a possible 4 points against the Sabres which is a big misstep for a team that's tooth and nail to make the playoffs. A loss in regulation or OT tonight would be a complete disaster.

Yeah, that game in Buffalo was a major missed opportunity. Luckily, the Sabres already took both (in regulation) from San Jose, but they have lost to Winnipeg and LA, and we can't expect Buffalo to win their remaining game against either of those teams.

locsofblu
01-27-2015, 11:30 AM
Is Wolf actually anything, or is he just a bit of a crazy with a neat name who played in Europe and is now on a hot streak?........................I'm excited to find out at some point.

From what I've heard he's really improved his game in Addy. Plays a physical game who has the ability to chip in offensively. Skating is bit of an issue still but it has gotten better. Personally I havent seen him play as of late but perhaps he can be compared to a Chris Simon type player potentially. Oh and yes his last name is pretty bad ass aswell.

Mony
01-27-2015, 11:31 AM
If Sven can find some momentum up here, that Gaudreau-Monahan-Sven line could be really sexy. Looking forward to see how it rolls if Hudler is out.

I was pissed off the last time we played the Sabres. I say we take our revenge tonight, 6-3 Flames. Three goals for the Sabres because it'll just be wacky like that, but we pull out a decisive win.

sureLoss
01-27-2015, 11:37 AM
Wolf also a possibility

@SUNRandySportak: #Flames coach Hartley said Hudler is ill and a game-time decision. Hasn’t decided whether Baertschi or Wolf would take his place if needed

Robo
01-27-2015, 11:40 AM
i don't know who i would rather see, i want to see how svens game has improved but also am really excited to see wolf play .

GioforPM
01-27-2015, 11:41 AM
Has Sven played RW before, either AHL or here? I can't recall.

Goodlad
01-27-2015, 11:45 AM

He played RW in the AHL for a bit, and if I remember right it didn't go well.

ThatsRobbery
01-27-2015, 11:51 AM

Yeah he did last year I think and from the reports it was not good. If they stick him with Monahan maybe flip him and Johnny, or send in the Wolf!!

skudr248
01-27-2015, 11:53 AM
kinda hoping to see Wolf over Sven

Otto-matic
01-27-2015, 11:54 AM
http://sabres.nhl.com/v2/ext/2014-15%20Season/gn-2015-01-27-0705-BUF@CGY.pdf

The Sabres put together an awesome gameday breakdown, Detailed stats - tidbits.

Worth checking out!

sureLoss
01-27-2015, 11:56 AM
@SUNGilbertson: #Flames Bob Hartley (1 of 2): "For too many years, after the all-star break, we basically knew it would be impossible to be a playoff team."

@SUNGilbertson: Hartley (2/2): "Starting tonight, I feel a new season is starting for us. We're in the picture. It's up to us. We control our own destiny."

RyZ
01-27-2015, 11:57 AM
kinda hoping to see Wolf over Sven

To replace Hudler in a top 6 offensive role? Nope

To replace a bottom 6 guy? Absolutely.

GioforPM
01-27-2015, 11:58 AM
The main problems I have with throwing Sven onto the Monahan line with Gaudreau are that it puts a player on the wrong wing, it takes Monahan out of his defensive role (and puts more onto Backlund's shoulders I guess), it goes against the "earned" philosophy (this is by far the least important).

Street Pharmacist
01-27-2015, 12:01 PM
To replace Hudler in a top 6 offensive role? Nope

To replace a bottom 6 guy? Absolutely.
Next game Bollig out Wolf in. Book it

Believer
01-27-2015, 12:01 PM
Better sit Hudler since we're playing Buffalo so he can come back healthy. Hudler is our best forward and we don't have anyone to replace what he does. The rest of the forwards are going to have to pull up their socks.

GioforPM
01-27-2015, 12:03 PM
I'd rather see, if Sven goes in:

Gaudreau-Monahan-Jones/Colborne (don't care which)
Baertschi-Backlund-Colborne/Jones
Raymond-Jooris-Bouma
Bollig-Stajan-Byron

If it's Wolf, put him on RW on the 4th and put Byron in place of Raymond or scratched.

Mony
01-27-2015, 12:04 PM
Yeah, Sven being on his off-wing makes me not like the Gaudreau-Monahan-Sven line as much now that I think about it. If he doesn't put up any points when he's up here on that line, I think we shouldn't get too worried because he's had problems as a RW before, as previously said. Also, even if he was up here on his natural wing and didn't put up a lot of points, I still wouldn't get too concerned about him. To be honest, I think it would've been better to leave him in the AHL for a little while longer and let him gain some consistency before calling him up again, but we'll see where he is now with some renewed confidence.

chalms04
01-27-2015, 12:08 PM

44 pages?

Ain't nobody got time for that!

ForeverFlameFan
01-27-2015, 12:10 PM
Instead of Baertschi playing on the off-wing, I would like to see if Johnny is capable of playing RW, just like P. Kane.

Baertschi - Monahan - Gaudreau

Otto-matic
01-27-2015, 12:12 PM
Gio can tie Phil Housley for 30th overall in points for the Flames tonight.

GranteedEV
01-27-2015, 12:20 PM
The Flames and Blackhawks are the only teams in the league who have not squandered a second intermission lead.

Score effects what now? :ph34r:

neo45
01-27-2015, 12:33 PM

Worth checking out!

Woah.....

Fighting Banana Slug
01-27-2015, 12:41 PM
Hate to see Hudler sick, but would love to see Sven given a shot. As cool as a JG-Monohan-Sven line sounds, I don't care for the 2nd and 3rd lines as constituted above. Backlund has been great, but he'll need some offensive help.

Edit: Raymond keeps sticking out as the part that does not fit.

foshizzle11
01-27-2015, 12:45 PM
I am sure if the Sven with JG and Monahan doesn't work after say the first period, I am sure Hartley will mix it up. He doesn't seem to be afraid to do that. If Sven can up his game and be responsible at both ends of the ice, this could very well work out just fine. Either way, it will be fun to watch this game tonight to see what he can do since going back to Addy.

hwy19man
01-27-2015, 12:54 PM
Centre Ice channels for:
Tuesday, January 27
Buffalo at Calgary, 1900h Mountain
Flames feed in red

Shaw Cable 351 SD and HD
Shaw Direct 164 SD and HD--Classic lineup
Shaw Direct 464 SD and HD--Advance lineup

Bell - 433 SD 1458 HD
Telus Sat - same as Bell
Telus Optik - TBA

Rogers - 450 SD and HD
Source Cable - 450 SD No HD (HDS 22)
Eastlink -450 SD and HD
Cogeco - 450 SD 494 HD

Westman - 808, 810 SD 822 HD***
MTS - 831 SD 1831 HD
Novus - 484***
Northwestel - 558 HD 570 SD***
Videotron - NA***

USA
Indemand - Game 8 and 10 SD Game HD8 and HD10
Directv - 784 SD 784-1 HD
Dish - 584 SD No HD Hopper channel 475-12

Sirius Radio-- Siri 216 (Internet 926)
XM Radio-- XM 207
SXM Radio-- SXM 207

Cali Panthers Fan
01-27-2015, 12:59 PM

Worth checking out!

In case anyone was wondering how good the Flames have been 4 on 4, they have 11 goals for and just 3 against for a ratio of 3.67 (ranked 1st). Compare that to their 5 on 5 ratio of 1.06 (ranked 15th). Anaheim is the next closest in goals for 4 on 4 with 7 and a F/A ratio of 3.50.

I think instead of trying to get a 5 on 4 power play, the Flames should try and take more coincidental minors.

Edit: Washington is actually 6:1 F/A when 4 on 4, so technically they are ranked 1st with a 6.00 ratio.

Enoch Root
01-27-2015, 01:03 PM
If you are ever thinking about trying out:

Gaudreau - Monahan - Baertschi

at home, against Buffalo, is the perfect time to do it. A team we outmatch top to bottom, and we control the matchups.

Having said that, I agree with ForeverFlamesFan that Gaudreau would be the better choice for RW

Baertschi - Monahan - Gaudreau

and then unleash the Wolf against Minny! (and Edmonton)

DJones
01-27-2015, 01:23 PM
Doesn't Gaudreau play on the right a lot on the power play? Maybe that's just from rotating but he's never seemed out of place on that side.

GioforPM
01-27-2015, 01:33 PM
I think wing position is more of an issue in the defensive zone. It has to do with coverage and breakouts.

I agree that you give the less experienced guy the more familiar spot.

I still, however, think the lines need to be defensively balanced. I also think Sven could do worse than be on the 4th line with Stajan (who plays with anyone) and, say, Byron (who he's had some chemistry with). I'd keep him away from Raymond because they are so similar in both abilities and deficiencies.

djsFlames
01-27-2015, 01:59 PM
If you're going to run with the Adirondack kids for any game, it might as well be against the Sabres. I'm kind of shocked none of them look to be getting any game action tonight. Why save them for more difficult competition? This is the perfect ease in game, as must win as the game still is (let's face it, they'll all be from here on out).

Robo
01-27-2015, 02:03 PM
ugh i hate when the flames play eastern conference teams

djsFlames
01-27-2015, 02:13 PM
It's NOT awesome to have Baertschi in if the reason is because Hudler is out.

Hudler is not a guy you want out of the lineup.

This is also true. While I wouldn't mind seeing someone sneak in on a depth position, I'm not sure about putting Sven in, on his off-wing no less, in place of Hudler, who is a crucial part of our offence. And on a line that will be utilized heavily.

I really hope the Flames put their foot down and play their game - the one they played perfectly in the last three games of the trip and the last period against the yotes (yes I liked their game in Anaheim, despite the ridiculous score). If we played the same against the east as we did versus the west we'd be nipping at the Ducks' heels right now, I kid you not.

Can't lose our focus against out of conference teams, it's unacceptable. I hope they've learned.

ForeverFlameFan
01-27-2015, 02:29 PM
If you're going to run with the Adirondack kids for any game, it might as well be against the Sabres. I'm kind of shocked none of them look to be getting any game action tonight. Why save them for more difficult competition? This is the perfect ease in game, as must win as the game still is (let's face it, they'll all be from here on out).

Well, keep in mind our normal roster players need to get back in the groove themselves, they've been on a break too. I would think that we'll see an Addy player or against Minny/Edmonton.

TheDebaser
01-27-2015, 02:38 PM
ugh i hate when the flames play eastern conference teams

I personally love when the Flames play eastern conference teams. Those two games against Montreal earlier in the season were some of the funnest hockey I've seen this team play in years.

locsofblu
01-27-2015, 02:41 PM
I personally love when the Flames play eastern conference teams. Those two games against Montreal earlier in the season were some of the funnest hockey I've seen this team play in years.

The flames have a horrid record vs eastern teams for some reason.

GioforPM
01-27-2015, 02:47 PM
First big eastern trip good (3-2), second eastern trip bad (0-4). Except they should have won 2 on the second one (Toronto and Buffalo) IMO.

But at home, versus the east, they are not as good (mind you some of those were in the big 8 game slump which is all history, right?)

icarus
01-27-2015, 03:04 PM

Worth checking out!
Drinking game: take a drink each time during the telecast SNW quotes a fact straight out of this document (and shout "I already know that!")

VANFLAMESFAN
01-27-2015, 03:10 PM

Whatever damage that was done in that Buffalo game was more than made up by getting 6 of 6 points so far against Los Angeles, a team the Flames are in a dog fight with right now. A loss against an eastern team, no matter how good or bad is nowhere near as devastating as losses to teams in the fight.

GioforPM
01-27-2015, 03:15 PM
Drinking game: take a drink each time during the telecast SNW quotes a fact straight out of this document (and shout "I already know that!")

What fact WASN'T in that document? You will be drunk before the anthem.

I'm at the game so no drinking game for me anyway.

Yoho
01-27-2015, 03:20 PM
What fact WASN'T in that document? You will be drunk before the anthem.

I'm at the game so no drinking game for me anyway.

The ability to have heroine beers at the dome is a drinking game all onto it's own.

savardandjokinen
01-27-2015, 03:30 PM
How about wolf plays D instead of engelland

Bourque's Twin
01-27-2015, 03:45 PM
Tonight's match-ups include,

Winnipeg @ Pittsburgh
Dallas @ Montreal
Colorado @ Nashville
Anaheim @ Vancouver

Winnipeg, Dallas, Colorado, and Vancouver have a good chance at losing tonight, and the Flames have a good chance at winning against Buffalo.

This could be a really important night for the Flames in the standings.

heep223
01-27-2015, 04:14 PM
Winnipeg @ Pittsburgh

Winnipeg .....has a good chance at losing

Pittsburgh is missing Crosby & Malkin. I believe their top three centers right now are Arcobello, Sutter and Spaling. I believe they have some other injuries as well including Letang (concussion), Depres (sick), Comeau (wrist) and Perron (sick). Their top three right wingers are Beau Bennett, Steve Downie and Craig Adams. Besides Kunitz I don't even know who's going to play LW.

I wouldn't bet on the Jets losing that one.

GioforPM
01-27-2015, 04:25 PM
They have Blake Comeau and the best goalie in the league (some CPer said this once).

Cleveland Steam Whistle
01-27-2015, 04:30 PM
I'm sure that would go well.

Miniac
01-27-2015, 04:45 PM
Gaudreau - Monahan - Baertschi

:w00t:

Bar-Down
01-27-2015, 06:02 PM
With both the Flames and Buffalo GMs in the same building maybe a trade will be worked out.

Flames have been linked to Chris Stewart all season. And wasn't the last trade we made (Drew Shore) right after we played his former team (Panthers)?

Just a thought. Go Flames!

dammage79
01-27-2015, 06:07 PM
With both the Flames and Buffalo GMs in the same building maybe a trade will be worked out.

Flames have been linked to Chris Stwart all season. And wasn't the last trade we made (Drew Shore) right after we played his former team (Panthers)?

Just a thought. Go Flames!

Honestly I'd rather Drew Stafford over Stewart. A little less streaky and does play more involved on a nightly basis. I actually like Drew Stafford, would be a great fit on the RW for the Flames I think. A little better than Jones.

the2bears
01-27-2015, 06:21 PM

I'd like to see a pairing of Wolf and Byron.

saillias
01-27-2015, 06:30 PM
Wolf-Colborne top D pairing in the league.

sureLoss
01-27-2015, 06:32 PM
Kristen Odland @KristenOdlandCH
#Flames winger Jiri Hudler taking warm-ups right now, his status in question.

Robo
01-27-2015, 06:35 PM
wotherspoon is dressed for the warm up does that mean he is playing tonight?

sureLoss
01-27-2015, 06:36 PM
wotherspoon is dressed for the warm up does that mean he is playing tonight?

not necesscarily

Robo
01-27-2015, 06:37 PM
not necesscarily

aw poo

sureLoss
01-27-2015, 06:38 PM
Kristen Odland @KristenOdlandCH
#Flames lines appear normal ... Hudler is taking line rushes with Gaudreau and Monahan.

Wes Gilbertson @SUNGilbertson
If #Flames RW Jiri Hudler is good to go, all of Monday's callups — LW Sven Baertschi, LW David Wolf, D Tyler Wotherspoon — will sit tonight.

devo22
01-27-2015, 06:41 PM
Wes Gilbertson @SUNGilbertson
If #Flames RW Jiri Hudler is good to go, all of Monday's callups — LW Sven Baertschi, LW David Wolf, D Tyler Wotherspoon — will sit tonight.
http://abload.de/img/boo-urns-onzecj.gif