PDA

View Full Version : Problems Accessing CP? Gateway Errors?

oxygen
08-03-2005, 10:19 AM
Up until a couple of days ago I had no trouble accessing Calgarypuck using Firefox or Internet Explorer. However, for the past couple of days when trying to load Calgarypuck Firefox says that "The connection was refused when contacting Calgarypuck". I thought that it was just a server problem at first that would eventually fix itself, but it hasn't. When I access Calgarypuck using IE I can only view one forum topic and if I try to load another it says "Gateway Timeout...server unreachable" Does anyone know what to do in order to fix this problem? Thanks a lot.

Regulator75
08-03-2005, 10:36 AM
I was also getting the same error.

photon
08-03-2005, 10:38 AM
I've seen this with a few other people, and I'm really not sure what's causing it.

What it seems to stem from though is the proxy settings of the browser.

Try this: in IE go to Tools, Internet Options, click the Connections tab, and ckick the LAN Settings button. Under there, tell me what the proxy settings are set to. As a test, jot down what the settings are then you can uncheck all the options and click OK, then Apply. Then try accessing the board again and see what it does.

FireFox has a similar setup under Tools, Options, General, Connection Settings.

I'm trying to see if there's a common thread with the few people that are seeing this.

Muta
08-03-2005, 10:51 AM
Photon, it's been happening to me too as well since Monday morning. I'll try what you said, though.

photon
08-03-2005, 11:33 AM
Ok if anyone is having this problem and can read this, please check your proxy settings and E-Mail them to boardadmin@calgarypuck.com

Also let me know who your ISP is.

Thanks.

photon
08-03-2005, 12:13 PM
Hm, it seems to be only people on Shaw so far, and all Internet Explorer.

For some people unchecking all the options in the proxy settings (including the automatically detect settings checkbox) seems to be resolving the issue.

Switching to FireFox has also helped others.

If you have any input on this (ie you tried something and it worked, you had the problem and it went away, etc) PLEASE post, I need more info to dig to the root of this.

Thanks for all your help.

photon
08-03-2005, 05:07 PM
Here is the response I got from Shaw

Hello Jason,

Thank you for your email.

We have not had any reports of problems connecting to your website. the 'Automatically detect proxy settings' option will attempt to detect if there are any closer web servers that have a copy of the requested website. This will affect the viewability of come websites while using dial up connections, however we would recommend to have this disabled within the Shaw Network, as we run at some of the fastest connection speeds in North America. It is possible that there has been a caching issue with either one of our, or an alternate proxy server. Typically, you can force the proxy server to refresh the page by holding 'ctrl', and tapping 'F5' on your keyboard repeatedly.

Please feel free to contact us, the local phone number for technical support can be found at http://support.shaw.ca/contacts.htm or visit our Customer Support Site at http://support.shaw.ca

So for those having 504 errors please try those things and if you still have problems please give them a call (and post your results here if you can).

89loobjob
08-03-2005, 05:54 PM
Shaw + Explorer user here - Gateway Timeout probs

Downloaded Netscape, now having no probs...except I need a separate browser to access CP now and missed out on tons of posting fun... :(

RogerWilco
08-03-2005, 06:41 PM
uncheck all the options and click OK, then Apply. Then try accessing the board again and see what it does.

That worked for me, I have no problems now. I was having problems for the last few days. I just un-checked the 'Automatically detect proxy settings' option and everything is going good now. I am on shaw.

trumpethead
08-03-2005, 10:01 PM
Originally posted by RogerWilco@Aug 3 2005, 06:41 PM
uncheck all the options and click OK, then Apply. Then try accessing the board again and see what it does.

That worked for me, I have no problems now. I was having problems for the last few days. I just un-checked the 'Automatically detect proxy settings' option and everything is going good now. I am on shaw.
Same for me. A Shaw user using IE - thank you for posting this info. I was going crazy trying to get this site to work.

calculoso
08-04-2005, 01:01 AM
Both my brother and I were having this same issue. I typically use Firefox, so didn't notice it until I had to use a PC with only IE on it. Received the same Gateway message.

Unchecking the "automatically detect proxy settings" option fixed it for me and my bro.

(and, for those who can't find it, open IE, go to the Tools menu, Internet Options, Connections tab, Lan Settings button, and the selection is near the top of the window)

Draug
08-04-2005, 06:42 AM
I have had this problem with IE since Monday night / Tuesday morning.

Unchecking the Detect Proxy settings didnt work for me. However, once I turned off the default pop-up blocking of IE, functionality returned to normal. That tidbit may or may not be related.

This was using IE, with Shaw as my provider.

Clarkey
08-05-2005, 02:21 AM
I had this problem, during all this exciting stuff too.

I changed something in firefox and it works now.

The user record would have likely been a lot higher if us shaw users weren't blocked out(assuming all shaw users were).

ChipOne
08-05-2005, 08:28 AM
Originally posted by photon@Aug 3 2005, 11:13 AM
Hm, it seems to be only people on Shaw so far, and all Internet Explorer.

this is my case as well...i can only access the site from work...it has been killing me at night during all this craziness this week.

shaw/ie

i'll post results tonight...thanks for the tips.

cheers

ChipOne
08-05-2005, 11:34 AM
yuep...unchecking auto-detect did it.

cheers.

Cube Inmate
08-05-2005, 02:13 PM
Same problem ==> gateway timeout when trying to go anywhere after accessing one thread.

Shaw + some old version of the Mozilla suite.

Glad to hear there's a workaround.

Young Guns
08-14-2005, 09:53 AM
You have to be friggin kidding me. For almost 2 weeks I have not been able to view this site. It would work once in a blue moon and then I would only maybe be able to view one topic. I finally got into this thread and it works good now.

photon
08-14-2005, 10:16 AM
Which means Shaw hasn't done anything about it yet :(

Unfortunately they aren't being very responsive to me. The only way they will fix it on their end I guess is if some people call in about it.

4X4
08-17-2005, 01:47 PM
FTR, same problem, same setup (IE, shaw), solution was firefox. No problems with firefox except that castlemedia thing in the other thread.

EDIT: Young Guns, I feel your pain. Right during the height of the FA frenzy, I was off line for 4 days before I decided to try Firefox. fata did it suck.

Shawn_Cronin44
08-23-2005, 04:41 PM
Am I the only one still experiencing this problem? I use Shaw / IE and none of the suggested work arounds have allowed me into CP. I also don't normally use any LAN settings or a proxy but I've messed around with different LAN settings, including Shaw's proxy, and I haven't had any success. CP is the only site that I haven't been able to access, has anything changed recently from a CP perspective?

I found that removing my Linksys router allowed me to connect intermittently to CP but that's not a solution, it was just for testing. When I'd ping CP using this configuration, I'd lose 75% of my packets.

The Shaw DNS is resolving the CP address to the same IP as my local DNS server so that seems to be working. At this point, I'm guessing Shaw has some sort of routing issue.

My interim solution until Shaw, CP, me or the lord above solves this problem, has been to setup Netscape with some misc proxy server (ie not Shaw's) and that seems to work. I just don't like passing my traffic through an unknown proxy or having to use a seperate browser just for CP but at least I'm not suffering through withdrawal any longer.

photon
08-23-2005, 04:44 PM
The only thing I can say at this point is to call Shaw.

Flame On
08-24-2005, 11:13 AM
Originally posted by photon@Aug 3 2005, 09:38 AM
I've seen this with a few other people, and I'm really not sure what's causing it.

What it seems to stem from though is the proxy settings of the browser.

Try this: in IE go to Tools, Internet Options, click the Connections tab, and ckick the LAN Settings button. Under there, tell me what the proxy settings are set to. As a test, jot down what the settings are then you can uncheck all the options and click OK, then Apply. Then try accessing the board again and see what it does.

FireFox has a similar setup under Tools, Options, General, Connection Settings.

I'm trying to see if there's a common thread with the few people that are seeing this.
I'm on Shaw highspeed lite and had this same problem during the free agency time. Lots of timeouts and such. Couldn't get signed in. In one attempt I saw this thread and went into it and after following Proton's advice about the LAN settings, it instantly was ok and no problems since.
Don't know the effects, but just out of interest that did solve it for me.
Thanks Photon.

Mango
09-26-2005, 09:17 AM
Originally posted by Draug@Aug 4 2005, 05:42 AM
I have had this problem with IE since Monday night / Tuesday morning.

Unchecking the Detect Proxy settings didnt work for me. However, once I turned off the default pop-up blocking of IE, functionality returned to normal. That tidbit may or may not be related.

This was using IE, with Shaw as my provider.
I finally got off my butt and did this as well. Worked like a charm! Thanks!

Bill Bumface
12-06-2005, 10:18 PM
NOOOOOO! I can't get on at work! We are a pretty big company with a massive Telus link I believe :( I'll have to try this trick tomorrow and see if it works.

Bill Bumface
12-06-2005, 10:18 PM
NOOOOOO! I can't get on at work! We are a pretty big company with a massive Telus link I believe :( I'll have to try this trick tomorrow and see if it works.

Bill Bumface
12-06-2005, 10:19 PM
Wow!! aparently my Home connection has something funny going on too. 14 posts!?!?! That has to be a record!

photon
12-06-2005, 10:33 PM
Let me know on IM or by email if you have to, there's been some firewall issues with people's IP's being blocked.

FireFly
12-07-2005, 10:01 AM
I have the issue at home with Telus highspeed, but not at work, which is also Telus.... I'll check my settings when I get home and see what's what. Then I'll email you. Now I just have to write all the info down....

photon
12-07-2005, 10:58 AM
Something to try is at a command prompt type: ping forum.calgarypuck.com

If you get "Request timed out" messages you may be inadvertantly blocked. If so, send me or boardadmin @ calgarypuck dot com an email with your IP address. To get your real IP go to this site: http://www.whatismyip.com/

Bill Bumface
12-07-2005, 08:35 PM
I could ping no problem a couple days ago, I just get 504's :( My IE settings all look fine.

photon
12-07-2005, 08:42 PM
If you can't ping anymore, try doing: tracert forum.calgarypuck.com

And post the results here, or email them to me. Thanks

Hack&Lube
12-08-2005, 06:39 PM
I am also having the same problem. Just simply cannot connect from home. There's another poster on hfboards who has the same problem. Tried IE, Firefox, Opera, etc. Just get a DNS error.

I haven't been able to reach this site for a week. I'll try to use a proxy server to load the forum when I get home. I'll post my results if I can ping the server. I know some others who also cannot connect.

-edit

Just saw your post on HFBoards, I'll try that when I get home but yeah, makes sense that your firewall might be blocking people.

photon
12-08-2005, 07:57 PM
If the tracert fails stops on:

eqash31.defenderhosting.com [204.157.0.102]

And the rest gives errors (like request timed out) then it is a host firewall issue and you'll have to email me your IP so I can get it whitelisted.

scottie
12-09-2005, 01:24 AM
I'm jigging with the firewall settings -- folks should start to be able to get back in here pretty soon.

Post here to let us know if you were blocked before but are now back again.

photon
12-09-2005, 08:15 AM
hulkrogan couldn't get in yesterday from work and it's working for him today.

Hack&Lube
12-09-2005, 02:58 PM
I can access the boards now. Thanks.