PDA

View Full Version : [Rumour] Jim Rutherford to give up GM duties at seasons end, Ron Francis to be next GM

$ven27
03-25-2014, 06:51 AM
According to Bob MacKenzie/TSN.

http:// http://www.newsobserver.com/2014/03/24/3729029/canes-rutherford-expected-to-give.html

Vinny01
03-25-2014, 07:31 AM
Another team moving to the President+GM model. Seems like every team that makes a change is doing it now. In guess Buffalo did it and have since moved on

Erick Estrada
03-25-2014, 07:35 AM
Kind of a coincidence as I was just talking about it being time for Rutherford to go yesterday as the team has got pretty stagnant under him. Will be interesting to see how Francis fares in the GM chair. Always seemed like a pretty astute guy.

Flame19,289
03-25-2014, 09:22 AM
Kind of a coincidence as I was just talking about it being time for Rutherford to go yesterday...

When Ponch talks, people listen!

neo45
03-25-2014, 10:57 AM
I've heard that Risbrough is another option for them and I find that really funny

Parallex
03-25-2014, 11:20 AM
Another team moving to the President+GM model. Seems like every team that makes a change is doing it now.

Personally I think it's a bad model... seems like a model that will facilitate helping the guys at the top avoid accountability. Kevin Lowe somehow still being employed being Exibit A.

Calgary4LIfe
03-25-2014, 11:50 AM
Personally I think it's a bad model... seems like a model that will facilitate helping the guys at the top avoid accountability. Kevin Lowe somehow still being employed being Exibit A.

I think they will still be held accountable, but just have a much longer shelf-life. Eventually Lowe will get fired (or at least, not renewed). Eventually. I hope he gets extended for the next decade though, but that probably won't happen, even with a fanboy owning the team.

Phanuthier
03-25-2014, 11:53 AM
Who is Exhibit B?

Erick Estrada
03-25-2014, 12:01 PM
Who is Exhibit B?

No kidding. Lowe is a special case in that the owner had to move him upstairs because some GM's didn't want to do business with him as well a special case because everything going on in Edmonton is not the norm and the sideshow exception. There is no other organization in the league that would hire Lowe for any management position so the Oilers aren't really a good example of how a management system can be successful.

freakinsaprikin
03-25-2014, 12:50 PM
No kidding. Lowe is a special case in that the owner had to move him upstairs because some GM's didn't want to do business with him as well a special case because everything going on in Edmonton is not the norm and the sideshow exception. There is no other organization in the league that would hire Lowe for any management position so the Oilers aren't really a good example of how a management system can be successful.

I think your wrong, what organization wouldn't want his winning pedigree? Look at all the cups he's won. Lowe knows how to win.

Erick Estrada
03-25-2014, 01:00 PM
I think your wrong, what organization wouldn't want his winning pedigree? Look at all the cups he's won. Lowe knows how to win.

Ha ha Lowe's 6 Stanley Cup rings are as relevant today as a #### ring on Ron Jeremy.

Parallex
03-25-2014, 03:43 PM
I think they will still be held accountable, but just have a much longer shelf-life. Eventually Lowe will get fired (or at least, not renewed).

Well... yeah. it doesn't make them eternally unaccountable it will just help them avoid it for longer then they should. Teams go bad and GM's start firing coaches until eventually the GM's themselves get fired. If the rot is at the President of Hockey Ops level though what will happen is that you'll have to go through a myriad of fired GM's (who themselves will go through a myriad of coaches) before the accountability finally reaches the proper level. Strikes me as just a new way for bad management to pass the buck. Teams can suffer under many additional years of bad management under this structure if they aren't all held equally accountable and in my experience, contrary to the idea of equal accoutablility, #### tends to roll downhill.

Green text yo!