PDA

View Full Version : Town in Montana changes its name to Banff Alberta Canada

DOOM
11-21-2013, 03:52 PM
When you think of Banff, Alberta, Canada one word comes to mind: Majestic. This is exactly why the town of Kirby, Montana has decided to officially change its name to Banff Alberta Canada, Montana.

Spokesperson for the town, Kemp Landers said, "We want to attract more tourists and this was the easiest way of doing that."

When asked if he thought the change in name would be confusing for travelers, Mr. Landers responded by saying: "That's the point. If people come here thinking this is Banff, Alberta, Canada, it's a win for us!"

Listen to learn more about this unusual name change.

http://www.cbc.ca/thisisthat/blog/2013/11/20/town-in-montana-changes-its-name-to-banff-alberta-canada/

Maritime Q-Scout
11-21-2013, 03:54 PM
Are you aware that "This and That" is a satire program akin to the Onion?

Joborule
11-21-2013, 03:55 PM
Shhhhh, don't tell 'em!

TurnedTheCorner
11-21-2013, 03:55 PM
I've been fooled by it in the past. And while that is a little embarrassing, at least it means the person being fooled is not familiar with the CBC.

CubicleGeek
11-21-2013, 03:56 PM
What? The Onion is satire?!?!

DOOM
11-21-2013, 03:57 PM
:bag::bag::bag:

Bigtime
I think half the reason CBC keeps doing the show is so many people seem to think it is real.

I actually heard this one today, made me laugh a little.

I remember reading an article a year or so ago that talked about travelers that end up booking tickets to the wrong London for example. Ending up in London, Ontario instead of England. Happens quite a bit actually.

Titan
It is humourous to think of a bus load of Japanese tourists getting out at Kirby, Montana.

Guns are here, here, here, and here, beer store is there, there, there, there, there, there, and 2 more over there. But that is just main street.

Maritime Q-Scout
11-21-2013, 03:58 PM
I've fallen for them before. Saw CBC and thought "wow this is legit".

Locke
11-21-2013, 03:58 PM
Brilliant. They'll never know the difference.

Stealth22
11-21-2013, 04:12 PM
I've been fooled by it in the past. And while that is a little embarrassing, at least it means the person being fooled is not familiar with the CBC.

I fell for it. :bag:

Swift
11-21-2013, 06:40 PM
I think half the reason CBC keeps doing the show is so many people seem to think it is real.

I actually heard this one today, made me laugh a little.

I remember reading an article a year or so ago that talked about travelers that end up booking tickets to the wrong London for example. Ending up in London, Ontario instead of England. Happens quite a bit actually.

Even worse, I remember hearing of someone booking a flight to Sydney, and ending up in Sydney, Nova Scotia.

Wormius
11-21-2013, 07:28 PM
Ah. Like clockwork. another "This is That" thread.

Don't the voices give it away at all? They're so... stereotypical Canadian. Everybody like Marge Delahunty or Mike from Canmore.

I have listened to it at work on the radio, and people will come over all irrate about whatever the sketch is about. "Bah, soccer with no soccer ball, they're taking the nanny state too far!"

MyFlamesFirst
11-21-2013, 07:31 PM
This and That is easily CBC's best show IMO

Vulcan
11-21-2013, 08:49 PM
Well a town in Montana once changed it's name to Joe.

http://www.kxlh.com/news/did-kirby-montana-change-its-name-to-banff-alberta-canada-/

I guess Kirby is now a ghost town.

topfiverecords
11-21-2013, 09:18 PM
Year of Massive Sigs

Żoso
11-21-2013, 10:10 PM
Up next, the city of Fort Worth changing its name to Alexis.

Wormius
11-21-2013, 10:45 PM
Arkansas renames capital city, now known as Arktopeka.

Guest1
11-21-2013, 10:50 PM
And like clockwork, people are posting the link on Facebook and raving...

Vulcan
11-21-2013, 11:26 PM
There's a town in Japan named Usa. Back in the day (post war) when "made in Japan" was synonymous with junk, Japan was accused of making up this town's name so people would be fooled into thinking a product produced there, was made in the USA.

TorqueDog
11-22-2013, 05:57 AM
Up next, the city of Fort Worth changing its name to Alexis.brb Going to downtown Alexis.

TurnedTheCorner
11-22-2013, 06:46 AM
Ah. Like clockwork. another "This is That" thread.

Don't the voices give it away at all? They're so... stereotypical Canadian. Everybody like Marge Delahunty or Mike from Canmore.

I have listened to it at work on the radio, and people will come over all irrate about whatever the sketch is about. "Bah, soccer with no soccer ball, they're taking the nanny state too far!"

I don't hear voices for every wen link I click.

Uhh...do...do you?

Maritime Q-Scout
11-22-2013, 08:16 AM
Even worse, I remember hearing of someone booking a flight to Sydney, and ending up in Sydney, Nova Scotia.

That happens every freaking summer, then they get put on their front page of the paper and given the key to the city!

Ugh

Edit: Here's a link from the Cape Breton Post in 2008, and another from 2009

http://www.capebretonpost.com/Living/2008-09-23/article-767267/Accidental-tourist-enjoying-Cape-Breton/1
http://www.capebretonpost.com/Living/2009-08-10/article-772237/Flying-Dutchmen-land-in-wrong-Sydney/1

And a story from 2002:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/northamerica/canada/1403683/Gday-possums-and-welcome-to-Nova-Scotia.html

To give the other side of the story,

Sydney, NS = Canada
Sydney, NSW = Australia

if you don't know of the 20,000ish city on the eastern coast of Canada and are planning a trip to New South Wales, I guess I could see the confusion and mistake. However, the end destination being Canada should be a tip off that you're booking the wrong airport.

Sr. Mints
11-24-2013, 11:44 PM
(Shameless self-promotion)

I went ahead and wrote a follow-up on Thursday: Southern Alberta town changing its name to Kirby Montana in a bid to keep people away. (http://urbananomie.com/2013/11/21/southern-alberta-town-to-change-name-to-kirby-montana-in-a-bid-to-keep-people-away/)